Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Site Notices
Arrow Left Previous Page
Page / 2
Posted: 8/11/2020 1:49:57 PM EDT
Hear the ads about this all the time. Does anyone know someone this has happened to?
Link Posted: 8/11/2020 1:50:14 PM EDT
[#1]
Link Posted: 8/11/2020 1:52:39 PM EDT
[#2]
Bill O'Reilly thinks it is a real thing. I can see something like this happening but being rampant, I don't know.
Link Posted: 8/11/2020 1:54:25 PM EDT
[#3]
A very large part of my practice is real estate closings. I have not encountered first hand an occasion of such.
Link Posted: 8/11/2020 1:55:54 PM EDT
[#4]
If they're promoting the title theft insurance policies so heavily, there is obviously lots of money to be made from the policies since it happens so rarely.
Link Posted: 8/11/2020 1:56:25 PM EDT
[#5]
Discussion ForumsJump to Quoted PostQuote History
Quoted:
Bill O'Reilly thinks it is a real thing. I can see something like this happening but being rampant, I don't know.
View Quote

It's a real thing, but pretty rare.
Link Posted: 8/11/2020 1:57:20 PM EDT
[#6]
Quoted:
A very large part of my practice is real estate closings. I have encountered first hand an occasion of such.
View Quote

How in the hell does someone “steal” the title to your home?
Link Posted: 8/11/2020 1:57:42 PM EDT
[#7]
How to Protect Your Home From Deed Theft

You don’t need to pay a company to protect you from criminals who put their names on your home title. You can protect yourself for free with these steps.
https://www.kiplinger.com/article/real-estate/t048-c050-s002-how-to-protect-your-home-from-deed-theft.html

And what the sellers of the title theft prevention services aren't telling you:
https://www.sbnonline.com/article/the-myth-of-title-theft-what-providers-of-protection-against-it-arent-telling-you/
Link Posted: 8/11/2020 2:02:28 PM EDT
[#8]
Happened to someone I know. Her and her husband had their mortgage through Well's Fargo.
They owned their home for over ten years, were never late or behind with payments.
Well's Fargo sold their home out from under them and got away with it scott free.
Gal I'm speaking about ran for Sheriff four years back, story made it in the local news
but only because the acting sheriff at the time said he would help enforce kicking
them out of their home even knowing what was going on. At the time it was found
that Well's Fargo had done this to a lot of other home owners.
Link Posted: 8/11/2020 2:05:03 PM EDT
[#9]
Quoted:
Happened to someone I know. Her and her husband had their mortgage through Well's Fargo.
They owned their home for over ten years, were never late or behind with payments.
Well's Fargo sold their home out from under them and got away with it scott free.
Gal I'm speaking about ran for Sheriff four years back, story made it in the local news
but only because the acting sheriff at the time said he would help enforce kicking
them out of their home even knowing what was going on. At the time it was found
that Well's Fargo had done this to a lot of other home owners.
View Quote

Wow.

I do know that banks, especially BofA foreclosed on and sold people's homes during the 2008 mortgage chaos, even though they didn't have a mortgage with them. Pretty much all were former customers that had either paid their mortgage off entirely or went to a different company.
Link Posted: 8/11/2020 5:53:23 PM EDT
[#10]
Quoted:

How in the hell does someone “steal” the title to your home?
View Quote

Shit, my bad, I left out the "not."

I bet it's a COC violation to explain how to do it, but it could be done. Vacant land would be easier, I suppose.
Link Posted: 8/11/2020 6:03:37 PM EDT
[#11]
I know of an incident from the 90's in DC.  I wasn't directly involved, but I knew the guys who were renting the house from the thief.

The legitimate owner was an elderly black woman, had it free & clear, but was in a mental institution.  The thief forged some court docs, got it transferred through a third party then "bought" it from the 3rd party.  

Don't know about the specific mechanisms the thief used, but it was a pretty sad case.  The woman was in for a temporary issue, had her house stolen, then the complaints about her house being stolen were used to involuntarily extend her stay.  At the end of it, the thief wound up in jail, big fine, but the woman got a busted up house back with all her possessions gone.
Link Posted: 8/11/2020 6:07:37 PM EDT
[#12]
Link Posted: 8/11/2020 6:11:04 PM EDT
[#13]
Quoted:
A newbie lawyer here did the closing on a house here for an “ heir” of a lady who “died”. But the lady didn’t die, the attorney just did absolutely zero due diligence. So he closed the deal and had the deed redone in the heir’s name. The lady who owned the house was living in Europe at the time and she came back to find out her house was stolen. So they sued the lawyer and sought to have the house re-deeded in her name. That lawyer got fucked hard and rightfully so. I didn’t follow the case beyond the lawsuit so I don’t know how it wound up.
View Quote

Is it possible to find out? I'd love to hear the outcome.
Link Posted: 8/11/2020 6:14:31 PM EDT
[#14]
Link Posted: 8/11/2020 6:16:25 PM EDT
[#15]
Quoted:

I don’t remember the name of the lawyer, but I googled for what I remember about the case and didn’t come up with anything.
View Quote

Shouldn’t the innocent 3rd party (if there was one) still be entitled to the house?
Link Posted: 8/11/2020 6:18:45 PM EDT
[#16]
Link Posted: 8/11/2020 6:19:41 PM EDT
[#17]
... it's not as "rampant" as the msm would like us to think
Link Posted: 8/11/2020 6:21:29 PM EDT
[#18]
It happens because when folks get caught they aren’t hung immediately or burned alive
Link Posted: 8/11/2020 6:21:35 PM EDT
[#19]
Not going to happen when I have two different banks with security interests in the property.
Link Posted: 8/11/2020 6:26:13 PM EDT
[#20]
There was a group in Illinois that was doing it.

1. They found out someone was going on vacation.
2. Would file the title transfer paperwork and pay the transfer taxes.
3. They'd go in. Clean it out mostly out. Change locks and then rent it as furnished out to associates.
4. Then put it up for sale at half price.

People would come home from vacation to a for sale sign, and renters in the house.  Cops would show up and say valid rental agreement, this is a civil matter for the courts. In the mean time, they are selling the house.

RR
Link Posted: 8/11/2020 6:31:17 PM EDT
[#21]
Quoted:
View Quote

If Bill O'Reilly is talking, i'm listening.  The guy's a genius.  And not creepy at all.
Link Posted: 8/11/2020 6:35:01 PM EDT
[#22]
Quoted:

3. They'd go in. Clean it out mostly out. Change locks and then rent it as furnished out to associates.

People would come home from vacation to a for sale sign, and renters in the house.  Cops would show up and say valid rental agreement, this is a civil matter for the courts. In the mean time, they are selling the house.

RR
View Quote

Drastic measures are called for then
Link Posted: 8/11/2020 6:40:30 PM EDT
[#23]
How does one steal title and record it?   You need the signature of the title holder (or the mortgage company/bank/lender that holds the lease).
Link Posted: 8/11/2020 6:41:11 PM EDT
[#24]
My FIL is a Real Estate attorney.

Our BF's are title company owners.

My wife is a Real Estate broker who has owned and operated a big national brokerage name with 250+ agents...

None of them have heard of home title theft.

Link Posted: 8/11/2020 6:41:36 PM EDT
[#25]
Quoted:

I don't remember the name of the lawyer, but I googled for what I remember about the case and didn't come up with anything.
View Quote View All Quotes
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

Is it possible to find out? I'd love to hear the outcome.

I don't remember the name of the lawyer, but I googled for what I remember about the case and didn't come up with anything.
I presume that the lawyer was not intentionally involved in stealing the home, simply failed at due diligence?
Link Posted: 8/11/2020 6:46:44 PM EDT
[#27]
I've seen it one time and I've examined property title on hundreds of tracts of land as part of my job in oil and gas.

It was a sibling screwing his dying sister's spouse.
Link Posted: 8/11/2020 6:53:28 PM EDT
[#28]
Quoted:
How does one steal title and record it?   You need the signature of the title holder (or the mortgage company/bank/lender that holds the lease).
View Quote

Fake IDs in the name of the owner, or Fake notary stamp on paperwork, or fake power of attorney for real estate.

RR
Link Posted: 8/11/2020 6:58:34 PM EDT
[#29]
It is rare because messing with where someone’s family stays leads to mysterious disappearances.
Link Posted: 8/11/2020 7:02:13 PM EDT
[#30]
I have seen it more than once in Dade Co. They crooks file false paperwork with the Clerk of the Court. Maybe a quit claim deed, can't remember. The elderly lady goods were moved the sidewalk and she was evicted. It made the news, showed lady sleeping on bench in front of her house. Clerk of the Court said oops my bad we won't do that again. I have seen other similar stores on the news. But this place is a shithole where thievery and larceny are hobbies.
Link Posted: 8/11/2020 7:03:43 PM EDT
[#31]
I'd be more concerned with Robot Insurance, against “the unfortunate event of a robot attack,” without requiring a health checkup.
Link Posted: 8/11/2020 7:05:24 PM EDT
[#32]
I literally got someone's title in the mail today. Same address, one street over. I walked it over to him cause I'm a good neighbor.
Link Posted: 8/11/2020 7:06:48 PM EDT
[#33]
Quoted:

RR
View Quote

That would quickly become a criminal matter.
Link Posted: 8/11/2020 7:08:53 PM EDT
[#34]
Quoted:
Not going to happen when I have two different banks with security interests in the property.
View Quote

Hopefully one of them isn’t BofA.
Link Posted: 8/11/2020 7:10:06 PM EDT
[#35]
Sovereign Citizens will attempt it as a paper attack against Police and other officials who challenge them.
Link Posted: 8/11/2020 7:11:17 PM EDT
[#36]

This happened to several homeowners in Scottsdale some time back.

IIRC the perps were from the UAE, or some such place.

Rare yes, does it happen, indeed.

Link Posted: 8/11/2020 7:13:05 PM EDT
[#37]
Quoted:

The lady that tried to steal it was not innocent. It was a scam.
View Quote

For some reason I read your post as the heir sold the house after it was re-deeded. Long day here
Link Posted: 8/11/2020 7:32:47 PM EDT
[#38]
Quoted:
My FIL is a Real Estate attorney.

Our BF's are title company owners.

My wife is a Real Estate broker who has owned and operated a big national brokerage name with 250+ agents...

None of them have heard of home title theft.

View Quote

I believe this guy
Link Posted: 8/11/2020 9:34:53 PM EDT
[#39]
It’s real and I believe it happened to a GD member last year.

He wired his down payment to a scam routing number and the title company never received the money.

Usually occurs within 24 hours of closing.
Link Posted: 8/11/2020 9:48:08 PM EDT
[#40]
Quoted:
View Quote

Sure it can.
Link Posted: 8/11/2020 9:50:14 PM EDT
[#41]
Quoted:

Hopefully one of them isn't BofA.
View Quote View All Quotes
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

Hopefully one of them isn't BofA.

Nope.  I will never do business with BofA after the way they tried to screw me over on my ex-wife's delinquent credit card.
Link Posted: 8/11/2020 9:50:25 PM EDT
[#42]
Quoted:
View Quote

In Alabama you would just need a fake ID purporting to be the real owner. No signatures to compare.
Link Posted: 8/11/2020 9:51:36 PM EDT
[#43]
Ive heard of the whole tax lien thing. Does that count?
Link Posted: 8/11/2020 9:53:47 PM EDT
[#44]
Quoted:
It’s real and I believe it happened to a GD member last year.

He wired his down payment to a scam routing number and the title company never received the money.

Usually occurs within 24 hours of closing.
View Quote

That's a different matter. That wire fraud and it happens all the time. Nobody stole the title to the property, they just stole the money.
Link Posted: 8/11/2020 9:56:17 PM EDT
[#45]
I've heard of people having their homes forcibly sold due to HOA leans, sometimes for BS amounts.
Link Posted: 8/11/2020 10:11:56 PM EDT
[#46]
Had a problem in RE about a decade ago.  Agents were getting their email hacked.  Right before a closing, the title company would get instructions to send the money to a different account than the one earlier.  Problem is that it wasn't the agent doing this, but hackers.

The sale would be funded but the money would simply disappear off shore.

It caused real problems to a lot of people until agents tightened up their system of giving instructions to title companies.
Link Posted: 8/11/2020 10:20:44 PM EDT
[#47]
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=x-sH_JMbpGA

edit: The hall of shame dude is awesome and this video is pretty interesting/relevant
Link Posted: 8/12/2020 10:08:54 AM EDT
[#48]
Funny how many here know it to be true but can't recall facts about it.

Just an observation..
Link Posted: 8/12/2020 10:10:29 AM EDT
[#49]
Link Posted: 8/12/2020 10:16:55 AM EDT
[#50]
Quoted:

RR
View Quote

Hahahaha try that shit here and see
Arrow Left Previous Page
Page / 2
Top Top