Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Arrow Left Previous Page
Page / 2
Posted: 4/17/2020 5:41:35 PM EDT
Interdasting bit of WWII history, not sure if it's there anymore or not.  This site seems to say it is:

https://aliciamarietravels.com/visiting-hilters-eagles-nest-in-germany/

While this YooToob vid says it's not, and that it's been razed:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=u7Yy-NG2o_A&t=746s

Quite a fascinating place, in any event.  Adolf reportedly brought potential supporters up there and, with a big fire roaring in the red marble fireplace, and with the breathtaking vistas of the mountains outside, he would appeal to the primitive hunter/adventurer that lives in the souls of all men, and attempt to woo them to his side:

There was apparently also a gigantic picture window that could be lowered into the floor entirely for air/views during good weather:

This was also reportedly the only place he would openly hang with his main squeeze, Eva:

Anyone know if it's still there or not?  On one hand, I hope so; helluva piece of history, and I'd like to see it.  On the other hand, I could understand why they'd tear it down; the man kinda left a bad taste in alot of mouths.  I'd heard the house he was born in was torn down too, just b/c the neo-Nazis were using it as some kind of mecca.

Link Posted: 4/17/2020 5:45:20 PM EDT
[#1]
Do you live under a rock?
Link Posted: 4/17/2020 5:46:34 PM EDT
[#2]
Believe it's a restaurant now. Obersalzberg home was bombed, then razed. The Eagle's Nest was a birthday present to him by the Nazi Party IIRC. He went up there once for the presentation and that was it. Didn't care for the height I believe.

ETA: Here's the details
Link Posted: 4/17/2020 5:47:10 PM EDT
[#3]
You reckon picture #3 is from the '40s?

... Yes OP, it's still there.
Link Posted: 4/17/2020 5:48:30 PM EDT
[#4]
They razed the nearby teahouse Hitler used after his lunch, the Kehlsteinhaus is still there.

ETA: They also razed the Berghof, which was his actual house.
Link Posted: 4/17/2020 5:50:23 PM EDT
[#5]
Discussion ForumsJump to Quoted PostQuote History
Quoted:
Believe it's a restaurant now. Obersalzberg was bombed, then razed. The Eagle's Nest was a birthday present to him by the Nazi Party IIRC. He went up there once for the presentation and that was it. Didn't care for the height I believe.
View Quote

Hm.  Bummer.  Lovely place, hope someone got some use out of it, given how much $$$ it must have cost.
Link Posted: 4/17/2020 5:51:10 PM EDT
[#6]
Quoted:
You reckon picture #3 is from the '40s?

... Yes OP, it's still there.
View Quote
Kool!  Another place to add to my bucket list.
Link Posted: 4/17/2020 5:52:06 PM EDT
[#7]
Mountain top house is best house.  
Link Posted: 4/17/2020 5:53:07 PM EDT
[#8]
The Kehlsteinhaus most certainly is still there and you can visit it.

BTW - Hitler did not actually like the place very much, and did not go there often.
Link Posted: 4/17/2020 5:53:19 PM EDT
[#9]
I've been there twice.  You ride up from the base of the mountain to the Eagle's Nest in a gold plated elevator.  The old SS guard posts are still on the road up the mountain.  Interesting place for history buffs.  Berchtesgaden is one of the most beautiful places on earth, too.

ETA:  The biergarten is second to none for places to grab a meal and a beer.
Link Posted: 4/17/2020 5:53:50 PM EDT
[#10]
Quoted:

BTW - Hitler did not actually like the place very much, and did not go there often.
View Quote

14 known visits. Didn't like the heights or the elevator.
Link Posted: 4/17/2020 5:54:35 PM EDT
[#11]
Long gone and anyone with a dial-up connection could have googled Berchtesgaden and read the history....25 years ago.
Link Posted: 4/17/2020 5:54:56 PM EDT
[#12]
Been there, awesome experience.

The Bus ride to the top was interesting!
Link Posted: 4/17/2020 5:56:11 PM EDT
[#13]
Quoted:
Long gone and anyone with a dial-up connection could have googled Berchtesgaden and read the history....25 years ago.
View Quote

Somebody better tell them they don't exist anymore.

https://www.kehlsteinhaus.de/english/
Link Posted: 4/17/2020 5:56:11 PM EDT
[#14]
Yes, it's still there.
And Burtchesgarten is Beautiful in the summer.

I can't post pics due to file size.

Take the bus up there, and have a bier.

ETA: if you visit be sure to check out the visitor center down at the base, there are bunkers to explore, and you can have lunch at the Obersalzberg.
Link Posted: 4/17/2020 5:56:32 PM EDT
[#15]
Quoted:
View Quote

Yeah the villa was bombed and eventually razed. But not the Eagle's Nest.
Link Posted: 4/17/2020 5:56:32 PM EDT
[#16]
I went there with a buddy two ago for lunch it's nice.

Great view OK prices at the restaurant.

you can pay I think 18 for the bus ride up there or a four hour walk.

i'm not gonna lie we didn't read the German signs real well they don't call it the Eaglesnest they call it the Kehlsteinhaus

Me and my buddy figured how hard could it be to find so we walked through the woods with Jurassic style ferns, and just followed a dirt path to a road and then followed kind of a jogging trail not really reading signs it was summer but we walk through clouds walked past snow that was still in the shadows and it took a solid four hours

we eventually got to the top and took the golden/brass elevator the last 200 feet

Had our lunch took our photos went to the very top where the cross is had a good time
Link Posted: 4/17/2020 5:57:52 PM EDT
[#17]
Quoted:

Yeah the villa was bombed and eventually razed. But not the Eagle's Nest.
View Quote

People get the Berghof and the Kehlsteinhaus confused.
Link Posted: 4/17/2020 5:57:55 PM EDT
[#18]
Quoted:

View Quote View All Quotes
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

You don't have to take the elevator you can take a switch back trail at least nowadays
Link Posted: 4/17/2020 5:58:04 PM EDT
[#19]
Quoted:
View Quote

And this is one of the reasons I posted this, besides from general history interest: some say it's still there, some say it's not.  Arfcom is the ultimate Box O' Truth.
Link Posted: 4/17/2020 6:02:31 PM EDT
[#20]
Quoted:
I've been there twice.  You ride up from the base of the mountain to the Eagle's Nest in a gold plated elevator.  The old SS guard posts are still on the road up the mountain.  Interesting place for history buffs.  Berchtesgaden is one of the most beautiful places on earth, too.

ETA:  The biergarten is second to none for places to grab a meal and a beer.
View Quote

The elevator is polished brass. Those bus drivers rock!
Link Posted: 4/17/2020 6:04:25 PM EDT
[#21]
Some of the red fireplace is missing in front top .
The end of the mantel is rounded too .

Very cool .
Link Posted: 4/17/2020 6:05:21 PM EDT
[#22]
Quoted:
You don't have to take the elevator you can take a switch back trail at least nowadays
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:

Yep. Apparently he was afraid it would be struck by lightning. Which happened  twice during construction. They didn't tell him.
Link Posted: 4/17/2020 6:06:36 PM EDT
[#23]
Quoted:
Mountain top house is best house.  
View Quote

I tend to agree.
Although my view is not nearly that breathtaking.
Link Posted: 4/17/2020 6:07:11 PM EDT
[#24]
Quoted:
Yep. Apparently he was afraid it would be struck by lightning. Which happened  twice during construction. They didn't tell him.
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:

Link Posted: 4/17/2020 6:09:43 PM EDT
[#25]
The Berghof location was actually a large area with numerous buildings, hotels, homes, barracks and farms.  The Berghof was "Hitler's Home" and was the one with the large picture window that could be lowered into the basement for an unobstructed view.  The Eagles Nest was up the road and on top of a higher mountain and was a high class tea house, but not used too much at all by Der Fuhrer supposedly because he feared lightning strikes that high up.  Entrance to the Eagles Nest was through a very ornate elevator through the rock.

Hitler had a regular tea house he used daily, when at the Berghof, that was a little ways down from the Berghof and was called the Mooslahnerkopf.  Bormann had a huge home just to the east of Hitler's place and Goering also had a beautiful chalet type home even farther up the hill east of the Berghof.  In the surrounding area Speer had a place and Bechstein, the piano people, had a place that was down from the Berghof that was taken over by the SS and used as a guest house.  The SS had a huge barracks up the hill from the Berghoff also with an underground shooting range.  Even farther up behind the Berghof was the Hotel Platterhof which was used for visiting Nazi's and later taken over by the US Army.  Later it was given back to the Germans who eventually razed it.

Most of the Berghof area was heavily bombed right at the end of the war and much of it was razed over the years with just a few buildings or structures left here and there.  the Eagles Nest avoided destruction and is a tourist spot today.  Goering's home is gone but nearby is the large Hotel Intercontinental, a high class hotel, built a number of years ago well after the war.

The Berghof site has a retaining wall left and the ground is mostly made up of fill from other sites that were raised and is heavily overgrown today.

http://thirdreichruins.com/obersalzberg.htm
Link Posted: 4/17/2020 6:11:11 PM EDT
[#26]
I thought they turned that place into a Jewish fertility clinic?
Link Posted: 4/17/2020 7:04:46 PM EDT
[#27]
Guntoter , thanks for that link !
Link Posted: 4/17/2020 7:05:52 PM EDT
[#28]
Link Posted: 4/17/2020 7:13:50 PM EDT
[#29]
Was there back in 1991 near the end of my service. One of our buddies got so hammered there that he couldn't find his room and slept in a fuckin stairwell.

Really nice place.

You should hear soldiers trying to pronounce "Berchtesgaden".

Most of the idiots called it something like Burgess Gardens.
Link Posted: 4/17/2020 7:17:15 PM EDT
[#30]
I made it in the 90s man.
Got one of those touristy type books too.
All the way up the top, birds will land on you.
People prolly feed them.
Link Posted: 4/17/2020 7:21:29 PM EDT
[#31]
Quoted:

View Quote

I would have viewed it more of a target or a ambush/sabotage than anything.
Link Posted: 4/17/2020 7:30:11 PM EDT
[#32]
Attachment Attached File

Attachment Attached File

A neat place. Beautiful view.
Link Posted: 4/17/2020 7:32:00 PM EDT
[#33]
As viewed from the cross above

Attachment Attached File

The cross above.

Attachment Attached File
Link Posted: 4/17/2020 7:34:54 PM EDT
[#34]
It's still there, Earl McClung toasting with 55-year-old Calvados in 2003, at the Eagles Nest.

Link Posted: 4/17/2020 7:36:55 PM EDT
[#35]
They did a nice recreation of it in the last or near last episode of band of brothers.
Link Posted: 4/17/2020 7:40:07 PM EDT
[#36]
I hope a Jew owns it

Link Posted: 4/17/2020 7:41:22 PM EDT
[#37]
Eva was Hot
Link Posted: 4/17/2020 7:44:11 PM EDT
[#38]
Oops
Link Posted: 4/17/2020 7:47:11 PM EDT
[#39]
Quoted:
I hope a Jew owns it

View Quote

Ugh. Read up on your history.
Link Posted: 4/17/2020 7:47:11 PM EDT
[#40]
There's a network of tunnels and bunkers under the ruins of the Berghof connecting to what is now a hotel, but at the time was Goering's house. Some of these tunnels are on youtube, some of it is sealed off.
Link Posted: 4/17/2020 7:48:25 PM EDT
[#41]
it's there... I believe it's a snackbar now..

no seriously
Link Posted: 4/17/2020 8:09:35 PM EDT
[#42]
Beautiful place, but a fire truck full of Holy Water couldn’t wash the evil out that place.  I worked for a German chemical company that we later found out used Jews for slave labor and produced Zyklon B.  I left a couple of years later because I never felt good about them after I found out.
Link Posted: 4/17/2020 8:11:31 PM EDT
[#43]
Quoted:
Beautiful place, but a fire truck full of Holy Water couldn’t wash the evil out that place.  I worked for a German chemical company that we later found out used Jews for slave labor and produced Zyklon B.  I left a couple of years later because I never felt good about them after I found out.
View Quote

Lol! Ever adjust your home’s temperature with your thermostat? Hope you called the ghostbusters.
Link Posted: 4/17/2020 8:13:53 PM EDT
[#44]
Link Posted: 4/17/2020 8:18:08 PM EDT
[#45]
Seeing all these pictures makes me really wish I would've gone when I had the chance. We planned to go a couple of times but the weather was bad and I'd heard it isn't nearly as good if it's overcast/very cloudy so we put it off. Then never ended up making it. It is one of the top things on my list to see if I ever make it back to Germany.
Link Posted: 4/17/2020 8:20:00 PM EDT
[#46]
"FEGELEIN!  FEGELEIN!!  FEGELEIN!!!"

Sorry but I just had to do that.

Link Posted: 4/17/2020 8:23:27 PM EDT
[#47]
I can say with 100% certainty it was there in 1976. Unfortunately someone stole all my photo albums from when I was in Germany. I took lots of pics that trip. It's probably the most beautiful view I've ever seen in my life, we were there in the fall. While we were there some parasailers took a flying leap over the side! I guess we watched them sail around for half an hour.

Berchtesgaden, Salzburg, the whole region is beautiful.
Link Posted: 4/17/2020 8:31:52 PM EDT
[#48]
My dad bought an ashtray with a piece of the fireplace years ago.

Attachment Attached File
Link Posted: 4/17/2020 9:08:18 PM EDT
[#49]
Quoted:
Apparently he was afraid it would be struck by lightning. Which happened  twice during construction.
View Quote

And has probably happened hundreds of times since then.

Everyone wants to live on a mountaintop, until it's time to do mountaintop living stuff.
Link Posted: 4/18/2020 11:11:35 AM EDT
[#50]
Quoted:
My dad bought an ashtray with a piece of the fireplace years ago.

https://www.AR15.Com/media/mediaFiles/307202/B219CD28-6141-4A44-BEC3-4D03450E3804_jpe-1372617.JPG
View Quote

That is very, very kool.  Nice piece of memorabilia.
Arrow Left Previous Page
Page / 2
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top