BCM
User Panel

Page / 2
Next Page Arrow Left
Link Posted: 4/18/2020 11:15:48 AM EDT
[#1]
Discussion ForumsJump to Quoted PostQuote History
Quoted:
I've been there twice.  You ride up from the base of the mountain to the Eagle's Nest in a gold plated elevator.  The old SS guard posts are still on the road up the mountain.  Interesting place for history buffs.  Berchtesgaden is one of the most beautiful places on earth, too.

ETA:  The biergarten is second to none for places to grab a meal and a beer.
View Quote

Yup, been there once, absolutely gorgeous views.
Link Posted: 4/18/2020 11:22:07 AM EDT
[#2]
I was there in 91. You could still see where the 101st guys burned their names into the ceiling.
Link Posted: 4/18/2020 11:32:21 AM EDT
[#3]
Quoted:
I was there in 91. You could still see where the 101st guys burned their names into the ceiling.
View Quote

Soldiers of all eras and all countries apparently can't resist letting you know they graced places with their presence.
Link Posted: 4/18/2020 11:40:48 AM EDT
[#4]
We used to go to Easter retreat at the General Walker Hotel, the former SS barracks at base of the mountain.
Link Posted: 4/18/2020 11:41:06 AM EDT
[#5]
I went there as a toddler in the 70’s when my dad was stationed in Vilseck but don’t remember much other than it was cold and walking down a path of some sort.
Link Posted: 4/18/2020 11:42:34 AM EDT
[#6]
If you go across the road from the bus drop off there is a trail that will lead to these ruins. The rebar is at least an inch thick on the bunker. That is me next to the concrete foundation. I am 6'2" for comparison. I think this was a bunkhouse back then, but have not researched it. Pretty cool to find them and the view was magnificent!
Attachment Attached File

Attachment Attached File

Attachment Attached File

Attachment Attached File

Attachment Attached File
Link Posted: 4/18/2020 11:44:26 AM EDT
[#7]
It’s interesting how they sought to eradicate the Hitler Virus by destroying anything he’d touched and made magical...either to worshippers or enemies
Link Posted: 4/18/2020 12:26:25 PM EDT
[#8]
Quoted:
It's interesting how they sought to eradicate the Hitler Virus by destroying anything he'd touched and made magical...either to worshippers or enemies
View Quote

Seriously.  I'm amazed at the number of people who will wig out over "OMFG THAT'S SOMETHING HITLER DID IT MUST BE BAAAAAAAAAAAAAAD!!11!!"  Yeah, like the interstate highway system, the VW bug, the rockets that got us to the moon, all that bad stuff...
Link Posted: 4/18/2020 12:29:18 PM EDT
[#9]
So they scrubbed all the "Kilroy was Here" images off?  Oh the hystery.
Link Posted: 4/18/2020 12:44:11 PM EDT
[#10]
Quoted:

View Quote View All Quotes
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
I've been there twice.  You ride up from the base of the mountain to the Eagle's Nest in a gold plated elevator.  The old SS guard posts are still on the road up the mountain.  Interesting place for history buffs.  Berchtesgaden is one of the most beautiful places on earth, too.

ETA:  The biergarten is second to none for places to grab a meal and a beer.

Not impressed with the offerings, but the setting was cool. Was a while ago tho
O
Views are nice - kid was knocking around Europe last summer and sent this

Attachment Attached File

He wasn't much impressed either so we must have similar tastes
Link Posted: 4/18/2020 1:10:29 PM EDT
[#11]
Quoted:

Seriously.  I'm amazed at the number of people who will wig out over "OMFG THAT'S SOMETHING HITLER DID IT MUST BE BAAAAAAAAAAAAAAD!!11!!"  Yeah, like the interstate highway system, the VW bug, the rockets that got us to the moon, all that bad stuff...
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
It's interesting how they sought to eradicate the Hitler Virus by destroying anything he'd touched and made magical...either to worshippers or enemies

Right, and the issue has been politicized to the degree that approval (big or small) of any part of the Hilter machine is seen as a tacit endorsement of the many evils of the machine.

We all acknowledge that Hitler and his merry band of fascists were horrible shitheads.  Even horrible shitheads get things right occasionally.

Link Posted: 4/18/2020 1:14:21 PM EDT
[#12]
Quoted:
Some of the red fireplace is missing in front top .
The end of the mantel is rounded too .

Very cool .
View Quote

Yeah a number of the GIs chipped the fireplace as souvenirs.

I read about the fate of Hitler and Goerings cars a few years back. You guys should read about it if you haven’t already.  Check out Mark Felton productions on YouTube for some excellent history lessons.
Link Posted: 4/18/2020 2:23:01 PM EDT
[#13]
Hitler wasn't fond of the Eagle's Nest. Even if he had been, the place isn't tainted by its association to him; it's a building. I think that keeping the place intact and using it for something constructive is  the real estate version of riding your conquered enemy's horse away from his ruined camp.
Link Posted: 4/18/2020 2:29:46 PM EDT
[#14]
Eagle's Nest - Hitler's Mountaintop Headquarters Today
Link Posted: 4/18/2020 2:36:33 PM EDT
[#15]

Thank you.
Link Posted: 4/18/2020 3:13:17 PM EDT
[#16]
For those interested, at the very end of the movie "The Sound of Music", with Julie Andrews, the Von Trapp family are fleeing the Nazis and are shown hiking across the top of a mountain with a beautiful valley below.  That is the Obersalzburg area and if you look carefully at the path the actors are walking on you will see a raised depression.  That spot was an anti-aircraft gun position for defense of the Berghof area.
Link Posted: 4/18/2020 4:12:52 PM EDT
[#17]

that was great, thanks for posting.
Link Posted: 4/18/2020 5:43:01 PM EDT
[#18]
Quoted:
There's a network of tunnels and bunkers under the ruins of the Berghof connecting to what is now a hotel, but at the time was Goering's house. Some of these tunnels are on youtube, some of it is sealed off.
View Quote

The hotel is the Zum Turkin and if you ask the owner nicely she will let you go into the tunnels.
During the war the hotel was used by the Reichssicherheitsdienst and housed troops assigned to protect Hitler.
Walk down the road, past the guard booth and you will find the remnants of the Berghof's retaining wall.

Berchtesgaden and Obersalzberg are absolutely beautiful and still have a lot of history there if you know where to look.

Before you go I highly recommend you spend some time on the Third Reich in Ruins website.
Link Posted: 4/18/2020 6:26:33 PM EDT
[#19]
Quoted:
The hotel is the Zum Turkin and if you ask the owner nicely she will let you go into the tunnels.
During the war the hotel was used by the Reichssicherheitsdienst and housed troops assigned to protect Hitler.
Walk down the road, past the guard booth and you will find the remnants of the Berghof's retaining wall.

Berchtesgaden and Obersalzberg are absolutely beautiful and still have a lot of history there if you know where to look.

Before you go I highly recommend you spend some time on the Third Reich in Ruins website.
View Quote
http://thirdreichruins.com/

Hm, thank you for that; alot of great info.  Apparently they did not tear down the house Hitler was born in - I'd heard they had.
Link Posted: 4/18/2020 6:48:44 PM EDT
[#20]
Quoted:

View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

I'm more amazed at the amount of American liberals who drive Volkswagens, and have no idea of his connection to the company.
Link Posted: 4/18/2020 7:00:30 PM EDT
[#21]
Quoted:

I read about the fate of Hitler and Goerings cars a few years back. You guys should read about it if you haven’t already.  Check out Mark Felton productions on YouTube for some excellent history lessons.
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

Very cool .

See my post on page one for a picture of one of those chips.
Link Posted: 4/18/2020 7:03:18 PM EDT
[#22]
Quoted:

View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:

Very cool .

Yeah! I read it.  That is really cool.
Link Posted: 4/18/2020 8:41:54 PM EDT
[#23]
Quoted:

that was great, thanks for posting.
View Quote

His channel is worth it to subscribe to.
Link Posted: 4/18/2020 8:49:05 PM EDT
[#24]
I was there a couple of years ago.  Unfortunately weather was atrocious that day.  All we saw was fog/clouds/rain!
Link Posted: 4/18/2020 8:53:36 PM EDT
[#25]
Quoted:
Beautiful place, but a fire truck full of Holy Water couldn't wash the evil out that place.  I worked for a German chemical company that we later found out used Jews for slave labor and produced Zyklon B.  I left a couple of years later because I never felt good about them after I found out.
View Quote

BASF?

There's alot of companies that came out of IG Farben.  Alot of the things we use today came out of bad origins, but we can't dwell on the past too much or else you will never be able to do anything
Link Posted: 4/18/2020 9:05:39 PM EDT
[#26]
Quoted:
BASF?

There's alot of companies that came out of IG Farben.  Alot of the things we use today came out of bad origins, but we can't dwell on the past too much or else you will never be able to do anything
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
Beautiful place, but a fire truck full of Holy Water couldn't wash the evil out that place.  I worked for a German chemical company that we later found out used Jews for slave labor and produced Zyklon B.  I left a couple of years later because I never felt good about them after I found out.
BASF?

This x1,000.  I'd be happy to buy a VW beetle, even tho it was the brainchild of Herr Hitler.
Link Posted: 4/18/2020 11:05:40 PM EDT
[#27]
Quoted:
We used to go to Easter retreat at the General Walker Hotel, the former SS barracks at base of the mountain.
View Quote

They demolished those about a decade ago, iirc.  Too bad, would have made a great basecamp to sightsee SE Bavaria and parts of Austria.  

Closest place now is Hohenfels I think.
Link Posted: 4/18/2020 11:14:24 PM EDT
[#28]
I went there in 2010 with my wife, its a cool place to see for yourself.   I hope to see it again with my boys someday soon.
Link Posted: 4/18/2020 11:21:32 PM EDT
[#29]
Quoted:

BASF?

View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

BASF?

Degussa.  I’m not normally affected by things like this, and I’ve got some German ancestry, but something just didn’t feel right about working there after I found out.  I know, feelings and such, but sometimes they happen.  Did get a better paying job afterwards, too.
Link Posted: 4/18/2020 11:23:51 PM EDT
[#30]
Quoted:

Soldiers of all eras and all countries apparently can't resist letting you know they graced places with their presence.
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

It's really a shame penis drawing hadn't been such a part of the culture back then.
Link Posted: 4/18/2020 11:26:39 PM EDT
[#31]
Quoted:
I was there a couple of years ago.  Unfortunately weather was atrocious that day.  All we saw was fog/clouds/rain!
View Quote

I always feel bad for tourists I see when the weather is bad anywhere, especially if it's a place where I can decide to go to based on my "weather will be great tomorrow, let's do X" assessment.

Bad weather can really ruin a trip.  

There have to be tens of thousands of Chinese tourists whose only memory of certain European cities is horrible rain.
Link Posted: 4/19/2020 12:03:10 AM EDT
[#32]
Neat thread.
Link Posted: 4/19/2020 3:06:41 AM EDT
[#33]
Quoted:

I always feel bad for trusts I see when the weather is bad anywhere, especially if it's a place where I can decide to go to based on my "weather will be great tomorrow, let's do X" assessment.

There have to be tens of thousands of Chinese tourists whose only memory of certain European cities is horrible rain.
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

I always feel bad for trusts I see when the weather is bad anywhere, especially if it's a place where I can decide to go to based on my "weather will be great tomorrow, let's do X" assessment.

It sucked how we couldn't see anything, but we still really appreciated being there.  It was seeing things I had only ever seen in a book or on TV

It was a once in a lifetime opportunity for us, especially since getting to Europe is ~22hrs on a plane.  We will never go back, since we would rather see things that we have never seen before.
Link Posted: 4/19/2020 8:44:46 AM EDT
[#34]
Here is part E Company 506th resting in place at the Eagles Nest

Major Winters is in the middle right, 3rd ftom right seated

Attachment Attached File
Link Posted: 4/19/2020 10:18:11 AM EDT
[#35]
Quoted:

It sucked how we couldn't see anything, but we still really appreciated being there.  It was seeing things I had only ever seen in a book or on TV

It was a once in a lifetime opportunity for us, especially since getting to Europe is ~22hrs on a plane.  We will never go back, since we would rather see things that we have never seen before.
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:

On a clear day, you can see Salzburg. You can also see that the mountains all head into Germany, Hence, the remarks you see from time to time joking about "The Sound of Music" and where that family was going at the end.
Link Posted: 4/19/2020 11:33:31 AM EDT
[#36]
Quoted:

I always feel bad for tourists I see when the weather is bad anywhere, especially if it's a place where I can decide to go to based on my "weather will be great tomorrow, let's do X" assessment.

View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

We got in before the fog came in completely, and I took this (auto-stitched from a Canon 60D):

The building at the top is a nice restaurant, as someone said (they were private party only that day):
:
Link Posted: 4/19/2020 11:39:43 AM EDT
[#37]
Quoted:

14 known visits. Didn't like the heights or the elevator.
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
The Kehlsteinhaus most certainly is still there and you can visit it.

BTW - Hitler did not actually like the place very much, and did not go there often.

14 known visits. Didn't like the heights or the elevator.

Or getting pooed on by Eva, if that's the only place he hung out with her
Link Posted: 4/19/2020 11:40:14 AM EDT
[#38]
Quoted:

Degussa.  I’m not normally affected by things like this, and I’ve got some German ancestry, but something just didn’t feel right about working there after I found out.  I know, feelings and such, but sometimes they happen.  Did get a better paying job afterwards, too.
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:

BASF?

Think they'd were an independent business bought out by IG Farben during the Nazi years. An actual pesticide company hired to fumigate inmate barracks. They would give warnings that the shit was fatal if you were inside the tents. The Nazi lightbulb went off and they tried it out predominantly on Russian POWs brought to Germany for forced labor and 200 Jews before adopting it for the final solution
Page / 2
Next Page Arrow Left
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top