Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Page / 3
Link Posted: 4/26/2024 12:59:49 PM EDT
[#1]
Originally Posted By Into_the_Void:
Well, technically dad's property, but it'll be mine.

I found 5 fucking tree stands without trying.  I'm sure there's more.

What are my options here?  Destroy them?  Take them down and put a letter on the tree saying where to get them?

After the GD answers, I'll call the deer cops and ask them.
View Quote

Pennsylvania I see?

Likely Mennonites depending on your area.

They don't give a fuck posted or not.
Link Posted: 4/26/2024 1:00:10 PM EDT
[#2]
Discussion ForumsJump to Quoted PostQuote History

Vanished.  I'm beginning to think they passed away
View Quote

Well, before dying they probably invited some buddies along, who then invited their sons/friends/cousins, etc..etc.  

When you confront them it’ll be the “We hunted this property for years” defense.
Link Posted: 4/26/2024 1:00:47 PM EDT
[#3]
Photograph them, remove them, store them off site, sell them on the internet
Link Posted: 4/26/2024 1:01:33 PM EDT
[#4]

What are my options here?  Destroy them?  Take them down and put a letter on the tree saying where to get them?

View Quote

I'd put up trail cams and find out who's trespassing first.

$10 says it's a neighbor
Link Posted: 4/26/2024 1:02:16 PM EDT
[#5]

i enjoy these threads (seriously)  -- just one of the 'joys' of rural property ownership i guess

it seems there is always the 'my cousin says his uncle knew the owner of this property and HE had permission to use this area...' type of situation.

keep us updated -- be safe  

Link Posted: 4/26/2024 1:04:08 PM EDT
[#6]
Originally Posted By JimEb:

Well, before dying they probably invited some buddies along, who then invited their sons/friends/cousins, etc..etc.  

When you confront them it’ll be the “We hunted this property for years” defense.
View Quote View All Quotes
View All Quotes
Originally Posted By JimEb:

I dunno.

The corner where I found all the stands is where 3 different properties come together.  However, there's two creeks that flow into one.  The creeks are the property line.  On the far side is state game lands, but that's 1/2 mile away of really really dense woods.
Link Posted: 4/26/2024 1:14:38 PM EDT
[#7]
Originally Posted By MFP_4073:

i enjoy these threads (seriously)  -- just one of the 'joys' of rural property ownership i guess

it seems there is always the 'my cousin says his uncle knew the owner of this property and HE had permission to use this area...' type of situation.

keep us updated -- be safe  

View Quote

Yup, seems there's always a convolute chain of people who "know the owner" but that you've never even heard of.

When we looked at the property we eventually bought I saw a few tree stands and wondered if they'd still be there after we bought it, but we went back out a few weeks after the closing and there was no sign of any of the stands. I walked the entire property perimeter and didn't see any indications of other stands, but I'll be setting up a camera on each of the two roads onto the property soon. Having known the folks that border the front and back for a number of years helped in deciding that we'd buy where we did, and we've already met one neighbor on the side and they're good to go. All the shitheads apparently live a few miles down the road
Link Posted: 4/26/2024 1:17:03 PM EDT
[#8]
Learn how to play the banjo, when they show up start wailing some Dueling Banjos while yelling “Boy, you sure got a purty mouth, you gonna squeal like a pig!” Then shove a handful of imitation crabmeat in your mouth, drop your drawers and start furiously masturbating. It is the only way to really be sure they leave immediately and never come back.
Link Posted: 4/26/2024 1:17:23 PM EDT
[#9]
Take down stands.  Place a business card from your local PD or CO inside a ziplock bag along with a note stating that you are no longer welcome to be on this property.  If you'd like your equipment back please contact (who's ever card you have).  This does 2 things:

1) It insinuates that law enforcement has taken down their property and not you.  The chances of them ever calling for it is next to zero.  This doesn't escalate things to you personally.
    1a) You now have treestands for 5 different sets!!!!!
2) They now have to assume that law enforcement is watching that property so they'll likely just go elsewhere to avoid a problem.

Best thing one property that I had permission to hunt on was a portion was leased to a DNR officer and everyone around town knew it.  Nobody came on that property for any reason.
Link Posted: 4/26/2024 1:35:54 PM EDT
[#10]
Make sure dad gives you full authority to be the steward of the land on his behalf then post signage. After that remove the tree stands and post a statement in the local papers/news sites that the land I question is private and all trespassers will be prosecuted. Meet with County Sheriff on the matter and reinforce the possibility of violence if trespassers are encountered. Same goes for your local game warden. You will no longer have any issues and if one arises, you are covered. Land owners here have done the same and the problem is near nonexistent.
Link Posted: 4/26/2024 1:39:32 PM EDT
[#11]
Keep them until the day before deer opener
Link Posted: 4/26/2024 1:41:04 PM EDT
[#12]

View Quote

We have done this thread before here in GD.

The best answer I found was to take them down.  Then post up a sign that if they want their stand back it is at the sheriff’s department.

Will trailcams show up at night if you have NODS?

If If I was you snd had access to NVG’s, I would go back at night, kitted up like this:

Attachment Attached File

That way the last pic the trailcam ever transmits to some poacher looks like a dude that is NOT to be messed with.

Put a piece of tape over the lens, remove camera, take to sheriff’s department.  Then post up sign that if they want their trailcam back, it can be picked up at the sheriff’s office.

Link Posted: 4/26/2024 1:51:06 PM EDT
[#13]
Go to Walmart, buy plastic no hunting/trespassing signs for $1.47 each, go to the stands, Cut them into several pieces, let them lie on the ground, attach a sign to each one with your game wardens main phone number on it to rub it in a bit.
Link Posted: 4/26/2024 1:52:28 PM EDT
[#14]
SO you have 5 new tree stands?
Link Posted: 4/26/2024 1:52:29 PM EDT
[#15]
Guess I'm more the benefit of a doubt type.  I'd take them down, and leave them at the base of the tree with a note saying there is no hunting on the property, so please retrieve the stands.  Could be some folks who've been hunting there for long enough that the original agreement is long forgotten, or something like that.  It usually doesn't hurt to be the bigger man for an opening move.

Who knows, might even make a new friend.  

Link Posted: 4/26/2024 1:53:58 PM EDT
[#16]
Originally Posted By 762xIAN:

Pennsylvania I see?

Likely Mennonites depending on your area.

They don't give a fuck posted or not.
View Quote

Amish/Menonites are the worst with that shit.
Link Posted: 4/26/2024 2:10:56 PM EDT
[#17]
Originally Posted By midmo:
Guess I'm more the benefit of a doubt type.  I'd take them down, and leave them at the base of the tree with a note saying there is no hunting on the property, so please retrieve the stands.  Could be some folks who've been hunting there for long enough that the original agreement is long forgotten, or something like that.  It usually doesn't hurt to be the bigger man for an opening move.

https://i.pinimg.com/236x/f9/69/11/f96911d6b2ec2c07ec4beeb537667651--bow-fishing-bowhunting.jpg
View All Quotes

https://i.pinimg.com/236x/f9/69/11/f96911d6b2ec2c07ec4beeb537667651--bow-fishing-bowhunting.jpg

I tend to do this. It really depends on the situation. Is it an understandable mistake, could it be someone who honestly thinks they have permission based on an old agreement, is it possible they don't know where the property line is, etc..

I dunno.

The corner where I found all the stands is where 3 different properties come together.  However, there's two creeks that flow into one.  The creeks are the property line.  On the far side is state game lands, but that's 1/2 mile away of really really dense woods.

So they were in the corner of the property where three other properties come together. Kind of sounds like it's possible that they may not know where the line is. And if there are state game lands nearby, there's more chance that it was a mistake, though a half mile is pretty far.

It's up to you (or your dad) about how strict you want to be about it. Do you know the neighbors? Without knowing all the details, I'd probably take a more restrained approach at first, maybe just leaving a note or like someone said take them down and leave them at the base of the trees with a note. As long as the neighbors are decent people, better to stay on good terms. If you get any pushback, you find out what kind of people they are, then take the approach of removing the stands and selling them, etc..
Link Posted: 4/26/2024 2:12:06 PM EDT
[#18]
When I did my very first nuke plant shutdown/refuel//turbine retrofit, it was over in Missouri at the Calloway plant.   My foreman and the boss above him were regulars at the Knob Creek shoot.  They both had Class 3 stuff.  He said the best way to deter poachers was to load up a BAR mag with all tracers, step onto his back deck at oh dark thirty, point the BAR into the woods,  and let’er rip.  He said he has never seen headlights bouncing down his road so fast in his life before.

Besides that….there’s this:

Attachment Attached File
Link Posted: 4/26/2024 2:19:36 PM EDT
[#19]

View Quote

A woman like that with that bow…

Ha!

You’re damn skippy she has the OnX app on her phone and she knows exactly whose land she is trespassing on.

Attachment Attached File

We might be able to work out an arrangement ….

Link Posted: 4/26/2024 2:19:45 PM EDT
[#20]
Originally Posted By delemorte:
I'd remove them and leave a notice and how to find you to get their shit back.
View Quote

This. I ended up with 2 Ol' Man tree stands years ago when I found them in the woods near our soybean field. Left a note tacked to the trees about them being on no trespassing Posted land.
Told them they could buy them back at our house.
No one ever came to claim them. Used them for many years.

We kept our land Posted as we would invariably end up with at least 1 jersey milk cow killed a year for many years.
Link Posted: 4/26/2024 2:22:26 PM EDT
[Last Edit: wmagrush] [#21]
Originally Posted By explodingvarmints:
Take down stands.  Place a business card from your local PD or CO inside a ziplock bag along with a note stating that you are no longer welcome to be on this property.  If you'd like your equipment back please contact (who's ever card you have).  This does 2 things:

1) It insinuates that law enforcement has taken down their property and not you.  The chances of them ever calling for it is next to zero.  This doesn't escalate things to you personally.
    1a) You now have treestands for 5 different sets!!!!!
2) They now have to assume that law enforcement is watching that property so they'll likely just go elsewhere to avoid a problem.

Best thing one property that I had permission to hunt on was a portion was leased to a DNR officer and everyone around town knew it.  Nobody came on that property for any reason.
View Quote

Agree. Leave something that eludes to LE taking them down. Never leave a chance that they think you took them. Had similar problem a few years ago. Stupid people actually came to the house inquiring about the stands. Plead ignorance.

Or air tag them, see where they go home to.
Link Posted: 4/26/2024 3:55:48 PM EDT
[#22]
Drop the stands off with LE and leave business cards, or pile them in the barn and leave a note with your phone number
Link Posted: 4/26/2024 4:06:21 PM EDT
[#23]
JBWeld a but plug into the center of each seat.
Link Posted: 4/26/2024 4:06:43 PM EDT
[#24]
I've found them on the timbered parts of my place from time to time.  I rip them the hell down. If they're not some piece of homemade shit, I offer them to friends for free.  

Also have found game cams. I just take those and keep them.

Stupid thing is . . . I've let quite a few people hunt and fish my place.  All they had to do was stop by or call, ask politely, and not be an ass.  

Link Posted: 4/26/2024 4:14:49 PM EDT
[#25]
I’d carefully cut the straps and leave just a few threads holding them to the tree.
Link Posted: 4/26/2024 4:21:09 PM EDT
[#26]
What tree stands?

Link Posted: 4/26/2024 4:27:11 PM EDT
[#27]
Originally Posted By Bogdan:

View Quote

Do they use stands?  Seems like I always just see them doing drives.

Where I hunt in PA, they started opening up roads that have historically been closed to all but the Game Commission.

Now the vans fulls of chinstraps show up, and commit fucking genocide.  No bullshit, they bring women and folding tables, have set up a cutting station at the top of the fire trail.
Link Posted: 4/26/2024 4:30:17 PM EDT
[#28]
Originally Posted By 3BP:

Where I hunt in PA, they started opening up roads that have historically been closed to all but the Game Commission.

Now the vans fulls of chinstraps show up, and commit fucking genocide.  No bullshit, they bring women and folding tables, have set up a cutting station at the top of the fire trail.
View All Quotes
Originally Posted By 3BP:
Originally Posted By Bogdan:

That's insane!  I've heard the stories of just how bad of a neighbor these people are and shake my head.  They have that pure persona but they're far from good folks it seems.
Link Posted: 4/26/2024 4:30:30 PM EDT
[#29]
Void,

Man, your totally not making any since here.

You said they bring meat every year, and then said they have not been by.

Then you say they communicate. But they vanished?

WTH man they been by or not? Do they communicate or are they dead?

View Quote

Link Posted: 4/26/2024 4:31:16 PM EDT
[#30]
I'd love to see some prank go down with these.  I'm just not creative enough to think about what you could do and film then post.  

Although maybe sticking a blow up doll in one with a red rider gun aimed out of the stand might be funny to film.  Imagine the hunter coming up on his stand with some other hunter in it.  How would he react?
Link Posted: 4/26/2024 4:31:32 PM EDT
[#31]
Tear down and sell on marketplace

Fuck em
Link Posted: 4/26/2024 4:31:59 PM EDT
[#32]

View Quote

It's possible I could be persuaded to make an exception to my 'no hunting' rule.
Link Posted: 4/26/2024 4:33:01 PM EDT
[#33]
I'd leave them undisturbed, then make a map of my property and mark all stands with an X. Then I'd head over to the Game and Parks office and tell them they have some easy tickets to write. X marks the spot on opening day.
Link Posted: 4/26/2024 4:33:33 PM EDT
[#34]
Remove them and staple a note to the tree with local LE agencies phone number should they want the back.

Link Posted: 4/26/2024 4:33:44 PM EDT
[#35]
Originally Posted By JoshAR:
Void,

Man, your totally not making any since here.

You said they bring meat every year, and then said they have not been by.

Then you say they communicate. But they vanished?

WTH man they been by or not? Do they communicate or are they dead?

They probably subleased it to the new folks coming by........

View Quote

Link Posted: 4/26/2024 4:36:10 PM EDT
[#36]
Originally Posted By DrPerceptron:
Looks like your dad just got a bunch of free tree stands.
View Quote

Been there, done that. Might want to let Fish & Game know to avoid allegations of theft.
Link Posted: 4/26/2024 4:36:44 PM EDT
[#37]
Did you dad or family give permission?  

I had a similar experience where I was given permission and built a stand.  I was out there and a pudgy generic looking Florida Georgia line fan came driving across the field. He skidded to a stop at the base of my stand and started cursing…threatening to shoot me….  He didn’t care that it was his grandfather’s field or that I had permission.  

Before you go full tard, make 100% sure of the situation.
Link Posted: 4/26/2024 4:38:13 PM EDT
[#38]
That's nothing, one member found a house built on his property
Link Posted: 4/26/2024 4:38:17 PM EDT
[#39]
Laws are different in every state.

Here, if the land isn't posted, temporary tree stands are allowed during certain times.

"VI. A portable or temporary tree stand or observation blind that does not violate paragraph I or II may be erected on the land of another from April 25 to June 1 and from August 1 to December 31 of a calendar year. All portable or temporary tree stands or observation blinds shall be removed from the property by June 1, unless allowed by permission from the property owner or designee."

"XI. A property owner shall contact a local or state law enforcement officer or conservation officer to remove and seize a permanent, portable, or temporary tree stand or observation blind which was placed, or the owner of which has failed to remove, in violation of this section."

https://www.gencourt.state.nh.us/rsa/html/XVIII/207/207-36-a.htm
Link Posted: 4/26/2024 4:40:22 PM EDT
[#40]
I like to take the nutsack off a freshly killed buck and nail it to the tree right where the trespasser would rest his head as he sits in the stand.
Link Posted: 4/26/2024 4:41:36 PM EDT
[#41]
Remove the tree stands and give them away to friends.

Go buy some purple paint.

A change, during 2020,  in Title 18, the state Crimes Code, gives landowners the option of using purple paint, rather than signs, to post their properties and alert others that lands are private and trespassing isn’t permitted.
View Quote
Link Posted: 4/26/2024 4:43:13 PM EDT
[#42]
Originally Posted By dyezak:
I'd love to see some prank go down with these.  I'm just not creative enough to think about what you could do and film then post.  
View Quote

What about that exploding paint bomb video getting that alleged tresspasser?
Link Posted: 4/26/2024 4:45:25 PM EDT
[Last Edit: Bellows1] [#43]
I would leave a note to either call you for permission or remove them.
They probably won't be back until September.

No need to be a dick about it... Not that you are being a dick about it.

ETA: or cut the trees down.
Link Posted: 4/26/2024 4:48:14 PM EDT
[#44]
Buy a mortar tube and work on your aim
Link Posted: 4/26/2024 4:50:34 PM EDT
[#45]
Originally Posted By Lou_Daks:
Put a nice dollop of pepper spray onto the seating and touching surfaces.  The hottest you can find.
View Quote

Anti seize would be more better.
Link Posted: 4/26/2024 4:57:18 PM EDT
[#46]
Originally Posted By midcap:
land mines under the legs?
View Quote

I'd weld a bar straight up in the middle of the seat and put it back.
Link Posted: 4/26/2024 5:00:23 PM EDT
[#47]
Originally Posted By TontoGoldstein:

View All Quotes
Originally Posted By TontoGoldstein:
Originally Posted By Lou_Daks:
Put a nice dollop of pepper spray onto the seating and touching surfaces.  The hottest you can find.

Attachment Attached File

Who fucked with my tree stand?

Kharn
Link Posted: 4/26/2024 5:01:08 PM EDT
[#48]
I'd haul them off to the dump and put up some cheap game cameras to catch the people who come looking for them in the act
Link Posted: 4/26/2024 5:02:22 PM EDT
[#49]
Originally Posted By delemorte:
I'd remove them and leave a notice and how to find you to get their shit back.
View Quote

Yeah, what could go wrong?
Link Posted: 4/26/2024 5:03:53 PM EDT
[#50]
Got a call from a neighbor, his brother has been hunting on the land I brought last year and he saw game cameras on the land, wondering if they were mine?  Nope so we have a bigger problem.
Page / 3
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top