User Panel

Page / 20
Link Posted: 6/3/2021 6:40:40 PM EDT
[#1]
Discussion ForumsJump to Quoted PostQuote History
Quoted:

Yep, Ranger is almost a big as a F150
View Quote

Guy at work has a new ranger. I have parked my Tacoma sport beside it, the ranger is huge compared to my truck. His ranger is bigger than the last F150 my dad bought in the early 2000s.
Link Posted: 6/3/2021 6:49:17 PM EDT
[#2]
Quoted:

Guy at work has a new ranger. I have parked my Tacoma sport beside it, the ranger is huge compared to my truck. His ranger is bigger than the last F150 my dad bought in the early 2000s.
View Quote View All Quotes
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

Yep, Ranger is almost a big as a F150

Full size trucks have gotten enormous. I bet most guys need a step stool to check their oil.
Link Posted: 6/3/2021 6:53:15 PM EDT
[#3]
Probably a better buy than $30k for a side by side.
Link Posted: 6/3/2021 6:55:04 PM EDT
[#4]
Interesting.  Ford is now making a Subaru Brat.
Link Posted: 6/3/2021 6:58:07 PM EDT
[#5]
Quoted:
View Quote

That would be awesome. Especially if Subaru would make a new one. Or a new Baja.
Link Posted: 6/4/2021 12:10:36 AM EDT
[#6]
Quoted:
I see their targeted customer is black females.
View Quote

I was wondering what the target audience for that advertising was. If it is black males 16-24 that's way less than 2% of the total population of the country. TikTok?
I'm looking forward to seeing what wonderful thing they come up with June 8th.
Link Posted: 6/4/2021 12:19:37 AM EDT
[#7]
Quoted:
Ford should make a regular cab long bed 4x4 diesel with manual locks/windows/trans and vinyl seats and floors for $25k.

They would sell millions every year
View Quote

No they wouldn't.
Link Posted: 6/4/2021 1:03:23 AM EDT
[#8]
Quoted:
This is the model/paint job of the Maverick my parents had back in the early 80's when I was in high school.  I think it was a V6 if I remember correctly.

https://img.hmn.com/900x0/stories/2018/10/1976-Stallion.jpg
View Quote

I had a '71 Comet (same body) with a 302 and a tunnel ram in Hawaii when I was stationed there in the early '90s.  Fun little car.
Link Posted: 6/4/2021 1:09:54 AM EDT
[#9]
Quoted:
Should make a mustang with a truck bed.

Did Ford ever have their version of an El Camino?
View Quote

They do.  I've wanted one ever since I saw one in person.  They've never stopped making them--for Australia.

Google "Ford Ute"

Some of the '70s models I would kill for...and I'm a Chevy guy.
Link Posted: 6/4/2021 1:10:28 AM EDT
[#10]
Quoted:
How will they be able to actually build them without processors?
View Quote

They're giving it an old Ford tempo engine, complete with carburetor
Link Posted: 6/4/2021 1:13:09 AM EDT
[#11]
Quoted:
We just got out of storage for my son, his first vehicle, an 02 Toyota Tacoma TRD 4x4. I think he'll enjoy the heck out of it, i just hope he doesn't wreck it because i want to drive it too.
View Quote

@chaas67 What an awesome first car!  Nice going, Dad!
Link Posted: 6/4/2021 1:15:05 AM EDT
[#12]
Quoted:

That actually looks very similar to a Capri.
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
This is the model/paint job of the Maverick my parents had back in the early 80's when I was in high school.  I think it was a V6 if I remember correctly.

https://img.hmn.com/900x0/stories/2018/10/1976-Stallion.jpg

That actually looks very similar to a Capri.

The Capri was a Chevrolet Vega derivative, IMHO (in the '70s).
Link Posted: 6/4/2021 1:16:08 AM EDT
[#13]
Thought they did this already.  

Attachment Attached File
Link Posted: 6/4/2021 1:17:02 AM EDT
[#14]
Quoted:

The irony to that is...
Every boomer hot rod, every resto-mod has slush box 3-4 speed automatic.

Be me.
Grow up on 4 speed 500-1,500 dollar 1970s-80s trucks.
Seek a project truck.
Every C10 K10 in existence sporting a shit 383 crate engine and slush box swapped in, utilizing the B&M floor shifter where a 4 speed used to reside.
Still has manual transmission brake pedal too

Seek nova chevelle or gto. Same. Floor shift slush box.

It do a disappoint.
View Quote

(shrug)

'68 Camaro (Muncie), '68 Corvette (Muncie), '67 Firebird (Doug Nash), 1931 Ford w/383 (TH350...but will be a Muncie!)
Link Posted: 6/4/2021 1:17:32 AM EDT
[#15]

That was for the 30-year-old white lesbians.
Link Posted: 6/4/2021 1:25:12 AM EDT
[#16]
Quoted:
The "gas tank issue" was largely a media concoction. Pinto used he same setup as the Falcon, Mustang, Fairlane and probably some others, none of which ever received any hyperventilation from 60 Minutes or anyone else.

Sort of like when TV news rigged flares under a Chevy pickup to get it to burst into flames.

eta- Good comparison on the Vega, which was a good looking little car, but mechanically garbage.
View Quote

Yep.  Know what else was popular around the time of the Pinto brouhaha?  Shackle lifts.  Where's that gas tank, again?  LOL!
We didn't really care all that much back then.

Link Posted: 6/4/2021 1:25:58 AM EDT
[#17]
Quoted:
View Quote

They never stopped making them.  You just can't have one.

2015 version came in my color with a turbocharged V6.

(shrug)

I don't know if Americans would buy them...but I would've loved one.  I never use the back seat in my cars, and this fills all sorts of slots for me.
Link Posted: 6/4/2021 2:17:36 AM EDT
[#18]
Quoted:

Did either of you ever own or drive either of those two cars?  I ask because they were inexpensive, reliable, and simple to work on. They also drove just fine for the economy cars they were. I owned a Pinto and often drove a friend's Maverick, so I have firsthand experience with both.
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:
Maverick. What a horrible car that was.

Yes, and that damn Pinto.

Did either of you ever own or drive either of those two cars?  I ask because they were inexpensive, reliable, and simple to work on. They also drove just fine for the economy cars they were. I owned a Pinto and often drove a friend's Maverick, so I have firsthand experience with both.

Had a friend who was big into Mavericks in high school. Put v8s in them. Pinto too. A Pinto with a 302 was pretty quick.
Link Posted: 6/4/2021 2:18:14 AM EDT
[#19]
Ranchero
Link Posted: 6/4/2021 2:33:25 AM EDT
[#20]
Quoted:

View Quote

Ranchero
Link Posted: 6/4/2021 2:36:19 AM EDT
[#21]
Quoted:
Look, all we want is a cheap truck that'll make a good Technical when SHTF!

Is that too much to ask?
View Quote

A Summit Racing catalog and a Auto Trader will get you there lickety split
Link Posted: 6/4/2021 2:46:18 AM EDT
[#22]
Doesnt look like a lot of usable truck bed.

The whole idea behind a small compact pickup is to have a cheap wheelbarrow with an engine (dump runs, house projects). Im not looking for a full 4dr cab to haul my friends/family around in. Thats what the car or SUV is for.

Wtf ford? Whys everything gotta be a lifestyle thing
Link Posted: 6/4/2021 3:48:30 AM EDT
[#23]
Quoted:
Doesnt look like a lot of usable truck bed.

The whole idea behind a small compact pickup is to have a cheap wheelbarrow with an engine (dump runs, house projects). Im not looking for a full 4dr cab to haul my friends/family around in. Thats what the car or SUV is for.

Wtf ford? Whys everything gotta be a lifestyle thing
View Quote

I hate small beds but they are obviously the most popular. I’d like an actual small or medium truck with a 6.5’ or even 7’ bed so I could throw a motorcycle or two in there without the tailgate down.
Link Posted: 6/4/2021 3:53:50 AM EDT
[#24]
Quoted:

God why does someone say this in every vehicle thread? Believe it or not, options people want are tracked by the manufacturers. (lol) If all the manual shit /reg cab was true, it would have happened long ago. We cannot get enough $70+ thousand Sierra Diesel Denalis to sell. People dont want regular cab roll up windows.
View Quote

Quoted:

Used truck market, in fact, says different...
There's been plenty of threads about it...

Where arfcommer goes to the local dealer, expecting to get a bargain on a freshly traded in former fleet/shit box work truck... and it go the very day/next day, for the price of a low mileage brodozer.

Anecdotal evidence becomes statistics when it's being repeated damn near daily...

Beings arfcom though... we gonna have both anecdotal written off as a coincidence while becoming the new normal as every pavement gypsy with a shit box work truck is getting 30k 40k for said shit box work truck either through carvana/private sale/dealer trade in.

Makes as much sense as the new ranger, which is the size of an early 2000s F150 crew cab short box.

View Quote

When Wakeboarder looks in the mirror, all of GD looks back
Link Posted: 6/4/2021 4:05:51 AM EDT
[#25]
Quoted:

View Quote

First one was based on the Falcon, back in the very early '60s. It was a true compact. Called it a Ranchero.

Later models were based on the Galaxy. More of a midsize.

Way back in the '50s, they had a reverse version. A sedan body on a truck frame. Edsel.
Link Posted: 6/4/2021 4:09:27 AM EDT
[#26]
Link Posted: 6/4/2021 4:25:00 AM EDT
[#27]
Quoted:
I see their targeted customer is black females.
View Quote
They are targeting these to women of color same way Subaru did with lesbians.
Link Posted: 6/4/2021 5:11:28 AM EDT
[#28]
'73 Maverick owner checking in.
Link Posted: 6/4/2021 5:17:09 AM EDT
[#29]
Quoted:
Ford should make a regular cab long bed 4x4 diesel with manual locks/windows/trans and vinyl seats and floors for $25k.

View Quote

Make it a 5/8 ton aimed at ranchers and outdoors activities and I'm in.

Also, mechanical fuel injection.

If I had traded my truck for the SR25 I would have added cash in on the deal.
Link Posted: 6/4/2021 6:19:46 AM EDT
[#30]
Quoted:
They couldn't have called it the Courier?
View Quote
Pinto sounds better
Link Posted: 6/4/2021 6:55:15 AM EDT
[#31]
Quoted:
Maverick. What a horrible car that was.
View Quote

My friend had one.  Blew out the drive shaft at 30k miles
Link Posted: 6/4/2021 7:04:29 AM EDT
[#32]
Quoted:

Besides the price point being retarded, dealers can't give that type of truck away to a retail customer.
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

Besides the price point being retarded, dealers can't give that type of truck away to a retail customer.

We bought a shop truck just for taking stuff to the post office etc...

2020 F150 crew cab, 4x2 V6. 6ft bed...Manual locks, manual windows, and oldschool keyes.

It SUCKED. Every time i had to drive it i wish we spend a few K more.

It was $23,000 plus tax.
Link Posted: 6/4/2021 7:18:38 AM EDT
[#33]
Quoted:

View Quote

I know you are being facetious, but my truck sold brand new in 2005 for $28k with manual windows, locks, diesel, no bed and crew cab.

It’s called fleet sales. They already sell millions of them to fleets.
Link Posted: 6/4/2021 7:29:12 AM EDT
[#34]
Quoted:

They never stopped making them.  You just can't have one.

2015 version came in my color with a turbocharged V6.
https://motoring.pxcrush.net/motoring/general/editorial/ge5667999656213032247.jpg?width=1024

(shrug)

I don't know if Americans would buy them...but I would've loved one.  I never use the back seat in my cars, and this fills all sorts of slots for me.
View Quote

Now that’s pretty cool.
Link Posted: 6/4/2021 7:30:03 AM EDT
[#35]
No body on frame and not going to be RWD/4x4 it's not a truck.
Link Posted: 6/4/2021 7:36:50 AM EDT
[#36]
Quoted:

I used to own a Pinto station wagon with a manual transmission. It was a great little car, really wish I had it back. I drove several other Pinto's in the day.

And yes, the Pinto was a far better car than the Vega.
View Quote

I have to put in a good word for the Vega. I had a '72 2-door wagon in red. Yes, the Pinto was better in terms of longevity. Chevrolet made the Vega aluminum engine without cylinder liners thinking that the "Reynolds 390 process" would be good enough, but it was not and this led to extreme oil consumption. Also, the bodies rotted out in the sills below the doors. So, for those reasons, you can say the Pinto was a better car. However, until those issues cropped up in the Vega it was a great car. Handled FAR better than it had any right to and was even comfortable on the highway. So, it was a really great car until it turned to shit, LOL.
Link Posted: 6/4/2021 7:38:50 AM EDT
[#37]
I had a 73 pinto wagon in 77/78. It was a decent car. Never broke down.  Back seats folded down.  Several 17 year old girls found themselves in the back of that thing
Link Posted: 6/4/2021 7:45:38 AM EDT
[#38]
Quoted:

God why does someone say this in every vehicle thread? Believe it or not, options people want are tracked by the manufacturers. (lol) If all the manual shit /reg cab was true, it would have happened long ago. We cannot get enough $70+ thousand Sierra Diesel Denalis to sell. People dont want regular cab roll up windows.
View Quote

That's not the real reason.

The real reason is the profit margin on such a vehicle would be too low and/or the price would be too close to the trim lines packed full of Chineseum based fancy stuff. Most of the cost of a Ford F-250 XL with the 6.7L Power Stroke* is because building the power train for a diesel truck that a) performs b) is reliable and c) complies with current year environmental and safety regs, all at the same time, is very costly to do. Simple electric motors, switches, an LCD screen...all that stuff is cheap today, and barely costs more (sometimes less) to produce than the mechanical equipment it replaced. Outfitting the same truck's interior like the super basic 1973 vintage truck I learned how to drive in couldn't take more than $1000 off the production cost.

That's before you even take into account the common components with all their other vehicles. Depending on the production volume, making all that unique, antiquated mechanical equipment might actually cost more. The volume would barely be greater than some obsoleted service parts. I work in a place that makes obsolete service parts for a couple different automotive companies (these older jobs are bundled with contracts for current production stuff). Making obsoleted parts at low volume has too many problems to list here. I could write a 25 page paper on all the reasons it is stupid to have a vehicle that there is not abundant NOS or salvage service parts for. We charge those customers amounts per part that would make you feel not so bad about $1/rd 9mm, and we still lose money on those runs. Tons of money.

Conclusion: Le basic hand crank window diesel truck would probably cost more than the "over priced truck with all the shit I don't need".

*for example, because its the closest thing Ford currently makes to the truck I actually want, and costs about 11K over the base model which already has the 6.2L SOHC flex fuel
Link Posted: 6/4/2021 8:31:16 AM EDT
[#39]
Quoted:

That's not the real reason.

The real reason is the profit margin on such a vehicle would be too low and/or the price would be too close to the trim lines packed full of Chineseum based fancy stuff. Most of the cost of a Ford F-250 XL with the 6.7L Power Stroke* is because building the power train for a diesel truck that a) performs b) is reliable and c) complies with current year environmental and safety regs, all at the same time, is very costly to do. Simple electric motors, switches, an LCD screen...all that stuff is cheap today, and barely costs more (sometimes less) to produce than the mechanical equipment it replaced. Outfitting the same truck's interior like the super basic 1973 vintage truck I learned how to drive in couldn't take more than $1000 off the production cost.

That's before you even take into account the common components with all their other vehicles. Depending on the production volume, making all that unique, antiquated mechanical equipment might actually cost more. The volume would barely be greater than some obsoleted service parts. I work in a place that makes obsolete service parts for a couple different automotive companies (these older jobs are bundled with contracts for current production stuff). Making obsoleted parts at low volume has too many problems to list here. I could write a 25 page paper on all the reasons it is stupid to have a vehicle that there is not abundant NOS or salvage service parts for. We charge those customers amounts per part that would make you feel not so bad about $1/rd 9mm, and we still lose money on those runs. Tons of money.

Conclusion: Le basic hand crank window diesel truck would probably cost more than the "over priced truck with all the shit I don't need".

*for example, because its the closest thing Ford currently makes to the truck I actually want, and costs about 11K over the base model which already has the 6.2L SOHC flex fuel
View Quote

Somebody else gets it! You and me both on the 25 page paper.

Who'd have thunk it. .gov regulations arbitrarily adds cost to r&d as well as manufacturing. We pay for it whether we want it or not.

Who'd have thunk 87 cabin air bags later to be recalled as chicom producers made claymores...
Who'd have thunk it takes engineers XXXX billable hours to design traction and stability control as well as the rare earth's required for catalysts...
Never mind an EGR cooler that fucks up...
Anything to please nanny statists, and environmentalmidgets.

But that won't sit well with the nanny statists and car and Driver types that insist we are at peak automotive... they're impressed with turbo'd 4 pots and turbo'd v6 throw away engines.

The thought of a large displacement V8 that laughs at neglect, abuse, providing years worth of reliable service, and is a great foundation for a dyno shredding build is written off as a "boomer" concept.
Meanwhile, LS truck engines with relatively little in the way of hard parts are becoming reliable repeatable 1,000+HP mills...and they started out as truck engines. Everyone thinks that's cool when you've got stock crank, rods, pistons, block, a cam with some lift and duration, ported or aftermarket heads that breathe, and a cheapo eBay turbo or two... and they aren't puking their guts out... they aren't succumbing to catastrophic failure from a simple overdue oil change, unlike the latest and certainly not greatest soy infused throw away environmentalmidget appeasing turbo V6...

Yes. Because over engineered throw away engines are the bees knees... don't demand better or anything... that would be such a "boomer" concept to have something worth a fuck and lasts long enough to be handed down to your kid, providing road salt didn't kill the frame and body...
There's no value there or anything... afterall... developing and producing something worth a fuck is a "boomer" concept.

Can't go low monthly payment doh and go upside down on trade in typical champagne life on beer budget when there's an engine under the hood that'll go 500k or more in stock form... There's no value there at all... God forbid there was savings in cost of ownership. There's mechanics out there that have to rape us when that warranty runs out while still making payments on that over priced shit box...that'd be a boomer concept don't you know... it's not cool these days to have something that's so reliable it's boring... There's drama needed to boohoo over paying for shit marketed as soufflé.

I wonder if that's why ford is moving to the 7.3 pushrod in 3/4 ton and up trucks, and not using dual over head cam V6s with angry snails...

Link Posted: 6/4/2021 8:31:29 AM EDT
[#40]
Quoted:

View Quote

Chevy made their version of the Ford Ranchero about two years after the Ranchero went into production.
Link Posted: 6/4/2021 8:37:20 AM EDT
[#41]
Quoted:

I didn't even mind how my Pinto looked. Had the 2-door coupe in brown.
View Quote

Brown was a good color for the Pinto.  It hid the rust.

Brown was a good color for the Vega too, for the same reason.
Link Posted: 6/4/2021 8:40:27 AM EDT
[#42]
So basically a Ford Edge with the back chopped off.
Link Posted: 6/4/2021 9:55:57 AM EDT
[#43]
I wonder if there will be a four door model with a three foot bed.
Link Posted: 6/4/2021 10:05:56 AM EDT
[#44]
Quoted:

View Quote

You got that right! The Working Man's diesel.
Link Posted: 6/4/2021 10:07:13 AM EDT
[#45]
Quoted:

View Quote

Bought a new 2020 Ranger 4x4 XLT with extended cab last August. It has a full size 6 foot bed and I love it. Best truck I ever owned. Sticker was $33,000 and I paid $30,000 cash from Stivers Ford in Montgomery, they delivered it to me at no charge. All of the F-150s with similar equipment were way over $50,000.
Link Posted: 6/4/2021 2:30:15 PM EDT
[#46]

Three pages before actual photos????
Link Posted: 6/7/2021 9:43:38 PM EDT
[#47]
Link Posted: 6/7/2021 10:14:20 PM EDT
[#48]
Not what I expected.

I though the Maverick was going to be basically a Transit Connect with the back lopped off (they sell similar in Mexico).

More like a Bronco Sport pickup truck (same underpinnings).

I really, really, really hope this isn't foreshadowing. Wonder if they have knowledge of some govt regulation coming down in the not too distant future that will make mid sized RWD/4x4 pickups unable to be sold, leaving us with these.
Link Posted: 6/7/2021 10:28:03 PM EDT
[#49]
I’ll buy a 2 door.
Link Posted: 6/7/2021 10:30:52 PM EDT
[#50]
Quoted:
I’ll buy a 2 door.
View Quote

Are they gonna make one?  Seems unlikely
Page / 20
Top Top