[#1]
Discussion ForumsJump to Quoted PostQuote History
Quoted:

Are they gonna make one?  Seems unlikely
View Quote

I guess no sale then.
Link Posted: 6/7/2021 11:28:35 PM EDT
[#2]
The front end's kind of fugly - But that can probably be fixed with aftermarket parts.
Link Posted: 6/7/2021 11:32:13 PM EDT
[#3]
Quoted:
Are GM & Dodge doing stuff like this? Or do we just not talk about it here? I mean, I know Chevy did the Blazer last year (or maybe the year before) & it was a complete failure. But what else are those two doing?  

It seems like all I hear about is Ford. What’s up with that?
View Quote

Chrysler was supposedly working on a Ram variant of the Jeep Gladiator that would be the return of the Dakota, but I think that effort got axed.

GM has a new Colorado/Canyon on the way.

South of the border, FCA/Stellantis sells a rebadged Fiat called the Ram 700:

Link Posted: 6/7/2021 11:34:14 PM EDT
[#4]
Quoted:

The irony to that is...
Every boomer hot rod, every resto-mod has slush box 3-4 speed automatic.

Be me.
Grow up on 4 speed 500-1,500 dollar 1970s-80s trucks.
Seek a project truck.
Every C10 K10 in existence sporting a shit 383 crate engine and slush box swapped in, utilizing the B&M floor shifter where a 4 speed used to reside.
Still has manual transmission brake pedal too

Seek nova chevelle or gto. Same. Floor shift slush box.

It do a disappoint.
View Quote View All Quotes
View All Quotes
Quoted:

The irony to that is...
Every boomer hot rod, every resto-mod has slush box 3-4 speed automatic.

Be me.
Grow up on 4 speed 500-1,500 dollar 1970s-80s trucks.
Seek a project truck.
Every C10 K10 in existence sporting a shit 383 crate engine and slush box swapped in, utilizing the B&M floor shifter where a 4 speed used to reside.
Still has manual transmission brake pedal too

Seek nova chevelle or gto. Same. Floor shift slush box.

It do a disappoint.

That's actually really funny.

I'm an older Millennial, and I would love to spend a day driving around in something old and American with an inline 6 and a three on the tree just to do it. That would be way more interesting to me than any of the SBC tree fiddy swaps.
Link Posted: 6/7/2021 11:39:09 PM EDT
[#5]
Quoted:

Chrysler was supposedly working on a Ram variant of the Jeep Gladiator that would be the return of the Dakota, but I think that effort got axed.

GM has a new Colorado/Canyon on the way.

South of the border, FCA/Stellantis sells a rebadged Fiat called the Ram 700:

https://hips.hearstapps.com/hmg-prod.s3.amazonaws.com/images/ram02-1602513741.jpg
View Quote

That’s kinda neat. (Until it breaks)
Link Posted: 6/7/2021 11:41:00 PM EDT
[#6]
Quoted:
Ridgeline, Maverick...that one Hyundai is gonna put out...all unibody vehicles. Why can nobody do a body on frame small pickup? Does it cost way more to build them body on frame?

I guess I'll stick to looking for a '90-95 Toyota...
View Quote

Yes, actually.

Manufacturers are learning they need to consolidate platform and drivetrain development in order to survive.

Toyota is a giant corporation with a big lineup of vehicles, right? You know how many platforms they're going to have in a couple years?

Two. All of their unibody stuff will be on some configuration of the modular TNGA platform, and all of their body on frame stuff will be on a new platform called F1. There's no room for specialty outliers. Anything that doesn't fit those molds will either need to be outsourced (BMW Supra) or it just won't exist.

I'm assuming we'll see a similar trend with engines in the not so distant future. Most companies will probably whittle down to 2 or so smaller transverse engines and 1-2 larger longitudinal engines.
Link Posted: 6/7/2021 11:48:39 PM EDT
[#7]
Quoted:
Maverick. What a horrible car that was.
View Quote

You take that the fuck back!
Link Posted: 6/7/2021 11:54:10 PM EDT
[#8]
I love gd truck posts.

50/50 got the joke about basic truck
Link Posted: 6/8/2021 12:02:45 AM EDT
[#9]
I think the name is stupid.
Current Ranger should be the F100. This new compact one should be called the Courier.
But I'm old school and also like women without penises so maybe I'm just not meant for this new world.
Link Posted: 6/8/2021 12:21:02 AM EDT
[#10]
Quoted:
Not what I expected.

I though the Maverick was going to be basically a Transit Connect with the back lopped off (they sell similar in Mexico).

More like a Bronco Sport pickup truck (same underpinnings).

I really, really, really hope this isn't foreshadowing. Wonder if they have knowledge of some govt regulation coming down in the not too distant future that will make mid sized RWD/4x4 pickups unable to be sold, leaving us with these.
View Quote

Maybe that’s still to come? I saw several articles talking about a transit connect based truck but it’s all just a bunch of guesses.
Link Posted: 6/8/2021 12:29:16 AM EDT
[#11]
Quoted:
I love gd truck posts.

50/50 got the joke about basic truck
View Quote

Here's the thing...

Wakeboarder likes to post the cliche trigger post in most truck threads for the lolz, but those are built on real replies that would normally show up in the first page anyways.

His Tundra posts and that single cab work truck post are are based on real posts we've read thousands of times. So, it's satire, yet it's not.
Link Posted: 6/8/2021 12:30:14 AM EDT
[#12]
Link Posted: 6/8/2021 1:20:06 AM EDT
[#13]
Quoted:

How many trucks can they possibly offer? Bronco is supposed to be getting a truck to directly compete with the Gladiator as well.....
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

Maybe that’s still to come? I saw several articles talking about a transit connect based truck but it’s all just a bunch of guesses.

How many trucks can they possibly offer? Bronco is supposed to be getting a truck to directly compete with the Gladiator as well.....

Hopefully all of them

I’m interested to see what the Bronco truck turns out to be if they actually build it. I really am bummed out by the lack of longer beds on these rigs so I’ll keep my fingers crossed.
Link Posted: 6/8/2021 1:24:23 AM EDT
[#14]
Quoted:

View Quote

That's called a Ranger.

Would need to be a Raptor Ranger or Tremor to come anywhere close offroad though.
Link Posted: 6/8/2021 1:34:31 AM EDT
[#15]
Quoted:

That's called a Ranger.

Would need to be a Raptor Ranger or Tremor to come anywhere close offroad though.
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

That's called a Ranger.

Nope.

The rumor is/was that Ford was going to build a Ranger based truck under the Bronco sub-brand to compete against the Gladiator.

Meanwhile, Ram was supposed to build a new Dakota to compete more closely against the Ranger and Colorado.
Link Posted: 6/8/2021 1:36:36 AM EDT
[#16]
Quoted:

Here's the thing...

Wakeboarder likes to post the cliche trigger post in most truck threads for the lolz, but those are built on real replies that would normally show up in the first page anyways.

His Tundra posts and that single cab work truck post are are based on real posts we've read thousands of times. So, it's satire, yet it's not.
View Quote

GD is a fickle mistress
Link Posted: 6/8/2021 1:41:32 AM EDT
[#17]
Link Posted: 6/8/2021 1:43:09 AM EDT
[#18]
Quoted:

Nope.

The rumor is/was that Ford was going to build a Ranger based truck under the Bronco sub-brand to compete against the Gladiator.

Meanwhile, Ram was supposed to build a new Dakota to compete more closely against the Ranger and Colorado.
View Quote

That's pretty dumb.

Take a Ranger, modify to SUV, make Bronco body & interior styling and interesting features, then take Bronco styling back to Ranger.

They might have announced intentions for it, but I forsee a offroady trim level on a Ranger or at best some new sheet metal.
Link Posted: 6/8/2021 2:02:11 AM EDT
[#19]
Quoted:
I hope compact trucks return. These mid sized trucks are silly.
View Quote

Yea, I've owned compact trucks years ago and have so many fond memories that they were great for tailgating, hauling 4 bags of mulch, or pulling dead 1" stumps out of the ground. (...with much difficulty)
Link Posted: 6/8/2021 2:08:19 AM EDT
[#20]
Quoted:
I see their targeted customer is black females.
View Quote

Just more indoctrination. TV commercials would lead one to think that blacks are now 60% of the population ( NOT 13%), and that whites are the stupidest people that blacks need to lead by the hand.
Link Posted: 6/8/2021 2:14:06 AM EDT
[#21]
Quoted:

Says every boomer or boomer wanna be.
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
Ford should make a regular cab long bed 4x4 diesel with manual locks/windows/trans and vinyl seats and floors for $25k.

They would sell millions every year

Says every boomer or boomer wanna be.

Not those of us who actually owned and drove "tin can" vehicles in the 60s, 70s, and 80s. I don't miss bouncing down the highway in those noisy things with the windows rolled down on a ninety degree day. I also don't miss having to reach across the cab to roll down the passenger window or having to get out into the mud/snow slop to engage the front lock-out hubs, or having to scrape the ice off of the outside mirrors, ect.
Link Posted: 6/8/2021 6:35:28 AM EDT
[#22]
Link Posted: 6/8/2021 6:46:20 AM EDT
[#23]
Quoted:
Ford should make a regular cab long bed 4x4 diesel with manual locks/windows/trans and vinyl seats and floors for $25k.

View Quote

There aren’t that many illegal immigrant HD trollers.
Link Posted: 6/8/2021 6:55:31 AM EDT
[#24]

Nah, that would only make sense....fuck bringing the Falcon Ute to the USA.

These DICKHEADS would sell the Aussie utes by the millions if they did... but instead they give us this Bronco sport abortion.
Link Posted: 6/8/2021 6:56:47 AM EDT
[#25]
Why the fuck are they so wide?  Why are all so wide?
Link Posted: 6/8/2021 7:05:37 AM EDT
[#26]
With that massive 4.5' bed you can haul at least a dozen eggs.

Target market for that is urban/suburban single moms & soyboyz.
Link Posted: 6/8/2021 7:13:21 AM EDT
[#27]
Quoted:
They couldn't have called it the Courier?
View Quote

Those were awful. As the FNG, I had to drive one as a field service vehicle. It was called the dog house in that shop. No a/c. Dangerously slow.
Link Posted: 6/8/2021 7:14:15 AM EDT
[#28]
Link Posted: 6/8/2021 7:15:17 AM EDT
[#29]
Quoted:
I hope compact trucks return. These mid sized trucks are silly.
View Quote

You look at one, like a Colorado, for instance, stopped at a light next to an 80's or 90's full size Chevy pick up, and they are almost exactly the same size.   They are not compact trucks any more.
Link Posted: 6/8/2021 7:15:25 AM EDT
[#30]

That is much nicer than I expected it to be, and has many clever interior and bed features. Better gas mileage than a Honda Civic is a great selling point. I predict they will sell a ton of these.
Link Posted: 6/8/2021 7:18:02 AM EDT
[#31]
Link Posted: 6/8/2021 7:29:21 AM EDT
[#32]
I will be keeping my 2002 base model Ranger 4x4 with manual windows, manual mirrors, base AM-FM radio (no CD) and vinyl flooring..thank you very much...
Link Posted: 6/8/2021 8:12:00 AM EDT
[#33]
Hands On With The New 2022 Ford Maverick: Here Are The Top 10 Things You Need To Know!

2022 Ford Maverick First Look | The Maverick Returns as a Hybrid Pickup! | Price, Engine, Interior

2022 Ford Maverick: This COMPACT truck is HUGE news
Link Posted: 6/8/2021 8:19:17 AM EDT
[#34]
Quoted:

View Quote
Make it $17.5K and I'll say that I'll buy one, but then I won't really buy one.
Link Posted: 6/8/2021 8:20:56 AM EDT
[#35]
Link Posted: 6/8/2021 8:20:57 AM EDT
[#36]
Quoted:

That actually looks very similar to a Capri.
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
This is the model/paint job of the Maverick my parents had back in the early 80's when I was in high school.  I think it was a V6 if I remember correctly.

https://img.hmn.com/900x0/stories/2018/10/1976-Stallion.jpg

That actually looks very similar to a Capri.

No.

I had a Maverick 4-door (Mercury Comet sister model to Maverick actually) and a Mercury Capri in the 70’s. The Maverick (or Comet) was so big it would be considered a full-size car by today’s standards. The Capri was much smaller, and made in Germany.
Link Posted: 6/8/2021 8:22:48 AM EDT
[#37]
Quoted:

View Quote

Not this shit again?
Link Posted: 6/8/2021 8:23:18 AM EDT
[#38]
Quoted:

Yea, I've owned compact trucks years ago and have so many fond memories that they were great for tailgating, hauling 4 bags of mulch, or pulling dead 1" stumps out of the ground. (...with much difficulty)
View Quote

Funny,I’ve owned a Hilux -manual,power nothing- for 20 years and it’s hauled way,way more than 4 bags of mulch but I’m not obese so I fit in the thing and I don’t feel any need to impress other men with my truck.

Link Posted: 6/8/2021 8:24:50 AM EDT
[#39]
I could get into this new Maverick. I’m finally making the jump to an SUV but realize a truck it probably what I really need. Just don’t want to pay real truck prices when I really don’t need an actual truck. I don’t need any real towing, 4x4, off road, or heavy payload capability.

So a smallish SUV with a bed makes sense for me. Hopefully getting one with the 2.0 ecoboost doesn’t jack the price up too high. If I can get a decent spec for like $25k or so I’m in.
Link Posted: 6/8/2021 8:25:22 AM EDT
[#40]
Quoted:

You are correct sir. I drove a Maverick, it was a perfectly good car. The Pinto was a good car, just stupid ugly.
View Quote

I had a Maverick and the fuel mileage was in the mid 30's on the highway.
Link Posted: 6/8/2021 8:33:52 AM EDT
[#41]
And I’ll keep driving my no-power-anything deathmobile S-10

Attachment Attached File
Link Posted: 6/8/2021 8:35:35 AM EDT
[#42]
Quoted:
Why the fuck are they so wide?  Why are all so wide?
View Quote

Because "Modern Americans" are "Wide", (or "thicc" as the most significant superior minority calls it) ...
Link Posted: 6/8/2021 8:37:06 AM EDT
[#43]
You can build one out on the Ford site.

Just under $35k for an awd lariat model.
Link Posted: 6/8/2021 8:42:24 AM EDT
[#44]

Link Posted: 6/8/2021 8:42:49 AM EDT
[#45]
Looks great. A nice and simple truck, unlike the new Hyundai abomination:

Attachment Attached File

Link Posted: 6/8/2021 8:48:31 AM EDT
[#47]
Quoted:

Guy at work has a new ranger. I have parked my Tacoma sport beside it, the ranger is huge compared to my truck. His ranger is bigger than the last F150 my dad bought in the early 2000s.
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

Yep, Ranger is almost a big as a F150

Guy at work has a new ranger. I have parked my Tacoma sport beside it, the ranger is huge compared to my truck. His ranger is bigger than the last F150 my dad bought in the early 2000s.

I can't speak for the ranger vs f150 size comparison but a 1980s silverado and a 2021 colorado are almost identical in size, with the colorado weighing several hundred pounds more.
Link Posted: 6/8/2021 8:50:54 AM EDT
[#48]
I have it on good authority that unibody trucks aren't trucks.
Link Posted: 6/8/2021 8:54:22 AM EDT
[#49]
So who will be the first to brodoze a Maverick?
Link Posted: 6/8/2021 9:09:03 AM EDT
[#50]
Quoted:

The Capri was a Chevrolet Vega derivative, IMHO (in the '70s).
View Quote

Mercury produced the Capri.
Page / 20
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top