Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Site Notices
Arrow Left Previous Page
Page / 2
Posted: 12/6/2021 11:52:12 PM EDT
I was an ASM for our local troop until it went co-ed.  IMO girls do not belong in BSA.  Just learned today that one of the girls in that new female troop already made Eagle.

I thought it took longer than that to Eagle out?
Link Posted: 12/6/2021 11:53:30 PM EDT
[#1]
It doesn’t matter. The title of “Eagle Scout” no longer holds value.
Link Posted: 12/6/2021 11:54:38 PM EDT
[#2]
Who cares? Scouts is all about woke faggotry now.
Link Posted: 12/6/2021 11:55:37 PM EDT
[#3]
That’s about how long it took me back in the 90s
Link Posted: 12/6/2021 11:57:05 PM EDT
[#4]
Pencil whipped merit badges and no actual demonstration of skills required at BORs results in 3 year Eagles.
Link Posted: 12/6/2021 11:59:17 PM EDT
[#5]
Quoted:
I was an ASM for our local troop until it went co-ed.  IMO girls do not belong in BSA.  Just learned today that one of the girls in that new female troop already made Eagle.

View Quote

It's hard but you could do it iirc. I think it was required 6 months in first class, star, and life.

That being said....
Link Posted: 12/7/2021 12:00:27 AM EDT
[#6]
It really depends on whether the troop is building real scouts, or just running a merit badge clinic.

I've seen too many people treat Scouts like just a checklist, to be signed off on as quickly as possible, with no care to actual skill retention along the way.
Link Posted: 12/7/2021 12:04:15 AM EDT
[#7]
Wonder what eagle project  was and how much work mom and dad did ?  

Link Posted: 12/7/2021 12:04:59 AM EDT
[#8]
Discussion ForumsJump to Quoted PostQuote History
Quoted:
View Quote

So much truth and it has nothing to do with girls being allowed in.  The path the ruining scouting was paved years ago.
Link Posted: 12/7/2021 12:05:10 AM EDT
[#9]
Meaningless at this point
Link Posted: 12/7/2021 12:05:23 AM EDT
[#10]
Quoted:
Wonder what eagle project  was and how much work mom and dad did ?  

View Quote

Probably less then the scout masters kids ever had to.
Link Posted: 12/7/2021 12:05:44 AM EDT
[#11]
Link Posted: 12/7/2021 12:08:25 AM EDT
[#12]
I got my Eagle in about 3 years, but I also went to Summer camp for a few weeks at a time to get all my merit badges.
Link Posted: 12/7/2021 12:09:02 AM EDT
[#13]
Affirmative action scouting?
Dad or mom the scoutmaster?

Scoutmaster though has very offensive slave connotations so I would imagine a new title had to be found?
Link Posted: 12/7/2021 12:10:33 AM EDT
[#14]
Quoted:
Who cares? Scouts is all about woke faggotry now.
View Quote

We bought our Christmas tree from the lot run by the local Scout troop.  The only women I saw were the two who came with me and the mom who took my money.
Link Posted: 12/7/2021 12:11:49 AM EDT
[#15]
Quoted:

So much truth and it has nothing to do with girls being allowed in.  The path the ruining scouting was paved years ago.
View Quote

Yes sir. I had scout manuals from the 60’s through the 80’s, and while I haven’t seen anything newer, I imagine the latest edition is probably light on practical scouting knowledge and heavy on woke bullshit.
Link Posted: 12/7/2021 12:20:42 AM EDT
[#16]
Quoted:
View Quote

Unfortunately this Eagle Scout says FPNI
Link Posted: 12/7/2021 12:23:00 AM EDT
[#17]
My BIL joined at 15 or 16 and Eagled in the 80s. Not impossible if you're motivated. There are plenty of very early teen Eagle Scouts as well.

That being said, I saw a girl's eagle project which was planting a couple of two post signs in a natural area. No concrete since it is a flood area. We were making duck boards for a muddy part of a nearby trail for an Eagle project for one of the boys in our troop. She did show leadership... but c'mon.

My daughter is in AHG, and is trying to figure out a project she can do that will meet the required 100+ total hours of volunteer effort.

I've sat on a few Eagle Boards. The best piece of advice I got from an adult was that some Eagle Scouts are A+, and some are C or D. We had an 18yo kid who could not even recite the Scout Oath, Scout Law or Outdoor code.
Link Posted: 12/7/2021 12:26:02 AM EDT
[#18]
Quoted:

Yes sir. I had scout manuals from the 60’s through the 80’s, and while I haven’t seen anything newer, I imagine the latest edition is probably light on practical scouting knowledge and heavy on woke bullshit.
View Quote View All Quotes
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

Coming soon to an Eagle Scout near you is the woke merit badge, which has no requirements other than having some conversations.   https://www.scouting.org/about/diversity-equity-inclusion/the-boy-scouts-of-america-introduces-new-citizenship-in-society-merit-badge/
Link Posted: 12/7/2021 12:29:16 AM EDT
[#19]
Quoted:
My BIL joined at 15 or 16 and Eagled in the 80s. Not impossible if you're motivated. There are plenty of very early teen Eagle Scouts as well.

That being said, I saw a girl's eagle project which was planting a couple of two post signs in a natural area. No concrete since it is a flood area. We were making duck boards for a muddy part of a nearby trail for an Eagle project for one of the boys in our troop. She did show leadership... but c'mon.

My daughter is in AHG, and is trying to figure out a project she can do that will meet the required 100+ total hours of volunteer effort.

I've sat on a few Eagle Boards. The best piece of advice I got from an adult was that some Eagle Scouts are A+, and some are C or D. We had an 18yo kid who could not even recite the Scout Oath, Scout Law or Outdoor code.
View Quote

Did the Eagle Board approve the 18 year old or tell him his failure has consequences?
Link Posted: 12/7/2021 12:29:44 AM EDT
[#20]
It's been many years since I went through the process but you'd have to be pretty much scouting all year long.  I remember summer camps were when a scout could get a few merit badges out of the way and we'd work on a few throughout the fall/winter/spring as well.  

There was something about having to have served in various leadership positions for a certain period of time so that's the part I'm fuzzy on.  Three years is pretty quick IMO.  Their Eagle Project would probably take up a few months depending on what they did, the planning involved, and the size/scale of the project.
Link Posted: 12/7/2021 12:34:00 AM EDT
[#21]
Quoted:

Did the Eagle Board approve the 18 year old or tell him his failure has consequences?
View Quote View All Quotes
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

This.

Because giving an 18yo who cant recite the oath and law Eagle is equally detrimental to letting girls into the BSA
Link Posted: 12/7/2021 12:40:38 AM EDT
[#22]
Eagle scout here, gave me the contracted bump to E-2 and definitely helped me in life.

It means nothing now.

More than a decade ago there were already eagle mill troops.
Its only gotten worse, and the organization has been poisoned.
Link Posted: 12/7/2021 12:41:07 AM EDT
[#23]
3 years? I wasn't really privy to the world of fast tracked eagles until a lunch with a couple of local judges and every single one of their kids- 7 between them and ranging from 15 to 20- are eagles. The youngest is a female, unsure on the distribution for the others. They were pretty candid about how fast the troop they were using pumped out eagles... and that that was the point.

I grew out of the Boy Scouts in my early teens like most of my friends but the only eagles I knew of at the time were the ones who stuck with it and got it when they were 17-18. I didn't know it was possible to get an eagle that early until recently. Unless you were in a very active troop that was structured in such a way as to produce lots of eagles, I wouldn't think it was possible.
Link Posted: 12/7/2021 12:46:01 AM EDT
[#24]
That seems pretty normal.

Seems kids when I was in either made eagle Eagle by 14-15 or they never did.

For me, once I hit High School, I stopped really caring about Scouts.
Link Posted: 12/7/2021 12:50:36 AM EDT
[#25]
Quoted:

View Quote

Maybe she’s like those two chicks that made it through Ranger school. Maybe the scoutmaster used his/her/it’s magic pencil, and gave her paper badges.
Link Posted: 12/7/2021 12:56:36 AM EDT
[#26]
Quoted:
3 years? I wasn't really privy to the world of fast tracked eagles until a lunch with a couple of local judges and every single one of their kids- 7 between them and ranging from 15 to 20- are eagles. The youngest is a female, unsure on the distribution for the others. They were pretty candid about how fast the troop they were using pumped out eagles... and that that was the point.

I grew out of the Boy Scouts in my early teens like most of my friends but the only eagles I knew of at the time were the ones who stuck with it and got it when they were 17-18. I didn't know it was possible to get an eagle that early until recently. Unless you were in a very active troop that was structured in such a way as to produce lots of eagles, I wouldn't think it was possible.
View Quote

Some kids are very mature, and get it done. Others require a parent's constant foot up their butt. The last category is those who realize at 16/17 they really want it, and have to scramble. I've mostly worked with those in the latter case.

My son was a first class for 4 years, and came to me one night and said, "I have to get Star in two weeks in order to have a shot at Eagle." I repeated what I'd been telling him for the previous 6 years. "I'll help you as much as I can, but I'm not doing it for you. Tell me what you need." He buckled down, asked for help, got organized, and got it done.
Link Posted: 12/7/2021 1:04:52 AM EDT
[#27]
Quoted:

View Quote

In years gone by, you could halt a board, and reconvene at a later date. That is no longer the case. Once it is started, it is either pass or fail. The kid was a bit of a flake, and had a crazy home life. His Scout Master explained the kid's story, and then the kid filled in more details. The letters of recommendation were eye opening and brutally honest. At the end of the day, the kid earned the merit badges, was a leader in the troop, did his project, showed leadership, and met the requirements.

It is extremely rare for a kid to fail an Eagle Board. Two hard failures are not showing leadership in the project aka Mom and Dad did it, and/or not having faith in a higher power. I only have experience in my Troop's district. I don't know how others do it.
Link Posted: 12/7/2021 1:06:59 AM EDT
[#28]
Quoted:

In years gone by, you could halt a board, and reconvene at a later date. That is no longer the case. Once it is started, it is either pass or fail. The kid was a bit of a flake, and had a crazy home life. His Scout Master explained the kid's story, and then the kid filled in more details. The letters of recommendation were eye opening and brutally honest. At the end of the day, the kid earned the merit badges, was a leader in the troop, did his project, showed leadership, and met the requirements.

It is extremely rare for a kid to fail an Eagle Board. Two hard failures are not showing leadership in the project aka Mom and Dad did it, and/or not having faith in a higher power. I only have experience in my Troop's district. I don't know how others do it.
View Quote

"We had an 18yo kid who could not even recite the Scout Oath, Scout Law or Outdoor code."

I think we have differing definitions of meeting requirements.
Link Posted: 12/7/2021 1:10:13 AM EDT
[#29]
That first post thing.  Everything woke......
Link Posted: 12/7/2021 1:16:36 AM EDT
[#30]
All the world is, is a popularity contest.

I have a high degree of skepticism when it comes to things like medals, awards, recognition and so on.  The the recent awarding to a young female Airman an AF Achievement Medal for making some cupcakes. The debacle of that AF Combat Controller and the MOH. The list is long.
Link Posted: 12/7/2021 1:18:53 AM EDT
[#31]
Some troops had merit badge mills/sent boys to multiple camp sessions during the summer, even when I was in ('70s-'80s).  Was possible to be Eagle by 13.
Link Posted: 12/7/2021 1:26:20 AM EDT
[#32]
Nothing new.

Just like schools, some are easy, some make you earn it.

Long ago I was teaching a merit badge class over two nights (weekly scout meeting) and basically did the requirements for the boys except for two.  Those two requirements left were easy and would of taken them less than 30 minutes.  I felt I was being far too easy on the kids.  Out of twelve scouts not a single one bothered to complete the two requirements.  Their parents then complained that none of them got the merit badge.  I told them I had already done most of the work for them, but refused to sign off on a merit badge if their kid couldn't be bothered to show even a slight effort.  I made some more comments about coddled kids, etc..., and that was the end of me helping that troop and their merit badges.
Link Posted: 12/7/2021 1:29:03 AM EDT
[#33]
Quoted:
Nothing new.

Just like schools, some are easy, some make you earn it.

Long ago I was teaching a merit badge class over two nights (weekly scout meeting) and basically did the requirements for the boys except for two.  Those two requirements left were easy and would of taken them less than 30 minutes.  I felt I was being far too easy on the kids.  Out of twelve scouts not a single one bothered to complete the two requirements.  Their parents then complained that none of them got the merit badge.  I told them I had already done most of the work for them, but refused to sign off on a merit badge if their kid couldn't be bothered to show even a slight effort.  I made some more comments about coddled kids, etc..., and that was the end of me helping that troop and their merit badges.
View Quote

AKengineer's "land nav in the rain is fun" course got the same reception.
Link Posted: 12/7/2021 1:49:48 AM EDT
[#34]
I am close to some of the kids at my local HS, and I asked them if they make fire without using a lighter or match, ie rub 2 sticks together, they told me they no longer have do that.
Link Posted: 12/7/2021 2:45:31 AM EDT
[#35]
Quoted:
I am close to some of the kids at my local HS, and I asked them if they make fire without using a lighter or match, ie rub 2 sticks together, they told me they no longer have do that.
View Quote

There are lots of techniques to start a fire without a lighter or a match. Being able to demonstrate those techniques has always been required for the Wilderness Survival Merit Badge, which I don't think has ever been required for Eagle.

"Rubbing two sticks together" is not a technique that will get you very far.

Fortunately, I didn't learn everything I know about Scouting from TV shows.
Link Posted: 12/7/2021 2:54:10 AM EDT
[#36]
Quoted:

There are lots of techniques to start a fire without a lighter or a match. Being able to demonstrate those techniques has always been required for the Wilderness Survival Merit Badge, which I don't think has ever been required for Eagle.

"Rubbing two sticks together" is not a technique that will get you very far.

Fortunately, I didn't learn everything I know about Scouting from TV shows.
View Quote

When I did my wilderness surval merit badge I used a shoelace and a wood bow I picked up/made. On top of a piece of lighter pine from a stump. I had a roaring fire going prettty well and took a few to get the lighter pine put out.
Link Posted: 12/7/2021 3:20:21 AM EDT
[#37]
Quoted:
That seems pretty normal.

Seems kids when I was in either made eagle Eagle by 14-15 or they never did.

For me, once I hit High School, I stopped really caring about Scouts.
View Quote

My Boy Scout meetings were on Wednesday nights .

Which was the same night I shot 3 position small bore.

Thursday nights were Civil Air Patrol nights.

I am approaching 50 now…not married and no kids…

Debating what I should do with my assets upon my death.  The thought of having a will written up giving whatever monies to my old Boy Scout troop had crossed my mind.

But with all this woke bullshit going on, that’s a BIG NOPE! from me.

EDIT:  I never did make it to Eagle.  Just Life.

Link Posted: 12/7/2021 3:23:49 AM EDT
[#38]
That's sad. I earned my Eagle badge in 1985 my sophmore year in HS amd I was in scouting for many years. For my project I organized a donation drive for the money, with help I bought the lumber and supplies and then with the more help of a contractor who was a church member and some other men of the church, we built a nice storage building for our church. I started and organized the whole thing, I was very proud of that effort. Scouting was an important part of my early teens. It is very unfortunate what the organization has become.
Link Posted: 12/7/2021 4:34:02 AM EDT
[#39]
I'm an eagle scout.

Old school guns and fire eagle, not the new woke kind.

Three years is REALLY pushing it .
Might be legit but I really doubt it. Sounds like a publicity stunt.

It took me about four and that's with a dad who was either scoutmaster or assistant (he only passed one of my badges. Environmental science because nobody else was qualified. It sucked. My dad is a complete hardass)

We camped EVERY month (7 year round camper awards), and I was highly motivated. I loved scouts, and I'm super ADD so loved the format of badges that you do for a bit then move on.

And it took me over three. We did badges every month, we did at least one powwow a year, scout camp or fifty miler every year. So we worked hard on them.

She might have done it but it would be hard to do
Link Posted: 12/7/2021 4:41:53 AM EDT
[#40]
I made Eagle at 13. If you count by the month it probably took me just over 3 years to complete, I don't remember exactly which month I started boy scouts. I was in middle school still and my only extra-curricular was boy scouts. I was in the band but middle school band wasn't a huge time-suck, and I didn't play any sports.

Many of my peers didn't finish their Eagle before high school. They got side tracked by academics, high school sports, marching band, girls, or some combination of those. Most of them never made Eagle, and those who did finished at 16 or 17.

I interacted with a lot of Mormon boy scouts at summer camps. The Mormon troops were very regimented and all their boys got Eagle by 14. It was my understanding that they shifted their focus to a different youth group at 14 so they had to complete Eagle by then. I don't believe these kids had their achievements pencil whipped, they were consistently hard workers; its just that their community put a lot of emphasis on achieving Eagle and they structured their troops to ensure it happened.
Link Posted: 12/7/2021 4:55:54 AM EDT
[#41]
Quoted:
I made Eagle at 13. If you count by the month it probably took me just over 3 years to complete, I don't remember exactly which month I started boy scouts. I was in middle school still and my only extra-curricular was boy scouts. I was in the band but middle school band wasn't a huge time-suck, and I didn't play any sports.

Many of my peers didn't finish their Eagle before high school. They got side tracked by academics, high school sports, marching band, girls, or some combination of those. Most of them never made Eagle, and those who did finished at 16 or 17.

I interacted with a lot of Mormon boy scouts at summer camps. The Mormon troops were very regimented and all their boys got Eagle by 14. It was my understanding that they shifted their focus to a different youth group at 14 so they had to complete Eagle by then. I don't believe these kids had their achievements pencil whipped, they were consistently hard workers; its just that their community put a lot of emphasis on achieving Eagle and they structured their troops to ensure it happened.
View Quote

That's basically our troop as a child.

When I was like 11 it was a Trainwreck. No eagles, no activities. They got a new scoutmaster and my dad was assistant.

My dad's an engineer, and very methodical and a bit, well, almost sadistic. He's a hard ass with zero sympathy.

He had files for every kid, what they had, what they were missing, we started weekly meetings, monthly campouts.

The entire program was structured to learn shit, do shit and get eagles.

It was awesome.. By second year the adults did literally nothing on campouts. They would just monitor. Every kid was assigned some area of function. Cooking, fire, tents, camp

You had to assemble a squad and get it done or you would be working alone all night doing it yourself.

We would hit camp like the military, kids everywhere, we'd get camp set up as fast as humanely possible, race through dinner then play capture the flag till we dropped or someone jabbed their eye out in the dark racing through trees.

We all got very very good as first aid. To this day I would trust most of those kids with any injury short of a gunshot in the chest. We had some doozies.

To your point though, the entire system was oriented around getting people to work on their badges.

I am really lucky, not everyone had that and it was a blast and a real blessing as a kid
Link Posted: 12/7/2021 5:18:54 AM EDT
[#42]
If I recall, 6 months at 1st class, Star and Life. No time requirement for Scout or 2nd class.

Granted I made Eagle in 95 so I might be a little off, but pretty sure minimum is 18 months.
Link Posted: 12/7/2021 5:42:09 AM EDT
[#43]
Quoted:
View Quote

This.

Technically you could have made Eagle in 3 years but you would have had to dedicate every waking moment to it. No doubt these girls are being pushed through to support the wine agenda.

The BSA no longer exists and the Eagle Scout award is meaningless.
Link Posted: 12/7/2021 6:38:42 AM EDT
[#44]
My son is 32 and I was heavily involved in scouting when he was going thru it....fast forward

I was leaving my grocery store a few months ago and the Boy Scouts were at the exit selling fund raising popcorn or something....now I said Boy Scouts....right...not one boy in the troop there.

So I asked one of the "moms", are these Boy Scouts, she looked at me with a big smile, "they sure are"....I walked away....
Link Posted: 12/7/2021 6:42:25 AM EDT
[#45]
Quoted:

View Quote

Some troops have always been Eagle factories, others make kids work for it. Just like inner city programs hand out merit badges weekly to keep kids interested vs others you had to earn them by the book and took several weeks each.

Kharn
Link Posted: 12/7/2021 6:57:28 AM EDT
[#46]
Got to life,OA etc in the 80s...slowed down and once I hit 17( football).
We only had 3 eagles in our troop my whole time ( guys from cub scouts).
Our troop did a ton of hikes,camp outs, summer camp and outdoor shit.
Few voluntary events a year( fund raisers,singing carols at retirement homes etc).

My nephews ......all 3 eagles.
Before 16.
Their troop pushed out twice as many.

Female leaders had just started rolling I to the scene out side of cub scout den moms

My father inlaw an eagle big supporter is not..I got asked to help with OA years ago..and declined because of the changes.

Imho girls have girl scouts. You don't like cookie sales and camp outs in the mall change your group not jump ship.

Link Posted: 12/7/2021 6:58:34 AM EDT
[#47]
I earned my Eagle rank in 1995 and it will forever be an accomplishment I am proud of.

??

The organization today, I can barely recognize it.
Link Posted: 12/7/2021 7:01:01 AM EDT
[#48]
It is an elite paramilitary organization.
Link Posted: 12/7/2021 7:19:53 AM EDT
[#49]
The key to making a boy an Eagle Scout, is to have them do it before they turn 16.  

Once that get that drivers license, and discover girls, they're done with scouting.

Link Posted: 12/7/2021 7:23:23 AM EDT
[#50]
Quoted:

If I recall, 6 months at 1st class, Star and Life. No time requirement for Scout or 2nd class.

Granted I made Eagle in 95 so I might be a little off, but pretty sure minimum is 18 months.
View Quote

There are also specific time requirements for being in a leadership position, such as SPL.
Arrow Left Previous Page
Page / 2
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top