Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Page / 2
Next Page Arrow Left
Link Posted: 12/7/2021 7:35:03 AM EDT
[#1]
If i got a resume of someone that boasted recent eagle scout it would go at the bottom of any pile or shit canned.

If it was a girl, I would shit can right away.

I would view that person indoctrinated and supporting the demise of traditional values.

Not something to be proud of anymore.
Link Posted: 12/7/2021 9:27:09 AM EDT
[#2]
Discussion ForumsJump to Quoted PostQuote History
Quoted:
If i got a resume of someone that boasted recent eagle scout it would go at the bottom of any pile or shit canned.

I would view that person indoctrinated and supporting the demise of traditional values.

View Quote

I haven’t put Eagle Scout on my resume in years. It’s meaningless now.

Which is sad because I worked hard to earn it. I got it at 16.
Link Posted: 12/7/2021 9:30:56 AM EDT
[#3]
Quoted:
It doesn't matter. The title of "Eagle Scout" no longer holds value.
View Quote

My son was in Scouts for a few years, and I watched kids get signed off on requirements they didn't complete by parent volunteers. It was embarrassing, seeing unqualified moron kids make Eagle. And the final projects were week as shit as well.
Link Posted: 12/7/2021 9:32:02 AM EDT
[#4]
It’s easy to catch a fish when someone tosses it to you!
Link Posted: 12/7/2021 9:34:49 AM EDT
[#5]
It’s possible.

That being said, some troops are outdoor oriented and worthwhile in the true spirit of Scouting, and others are parent-led merit badge mills.
Link Posted: 12/7/2021 9:35:20 AM EDT
[#6]
Quoted:
The key to making a boy an Eagle Scout, is to have them do it before they turn 16.  

Once that get that drivers license, and discover girls, they're done with scouting.

View Quote

Bingo.
Link Posted: 12/7/2021 10:03:28 AM EDT
[#7]
Quoted:

View Quote

My son got his Eagle in 2020. He worked very hard for it. He and I are very proud of his accomplishments in Scouts. It’s a shame you would disregard someone based on your broad brush opinions of an organization.
Link Posted: 12/7/2021 10:23:09 AM EDT
[#8]
Quoted:
Pencil whipped merit badges and no actual demonstration of skills required at BORs results in 3 year Eagles.
View Quote
This.  We used to call those troops "Eagle Factories" when I was in.  Disgusting.

Got mine in 2000.
Link Posted: 12/7/2021 10:29:19 AM EDT
[#9]
OP is just about to earn the red pill rank in scouts where a leader\former scout realize the program has jumped the shark.
Link Posted: 12/7/2021 10:33:54 AM EDT
[#10]
Link Posted: 12/7/2021 10:39:35 AM EDT
[#11]
Quoted:

I haven't put Eagle Scout on my resume in years. It's meaningless now.

View Quote View All Quotes
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

I haven't put Eagle Scout on my resume in years. It's meaningless now.

I slid in getting the last merit badge a couple days before turning 18.  At least 50% of the time I've seen it on a resume, its been a bad sign.

Probably the most notoriously bad employee I've ever hired was an eagle scout.  I wouldn't put it on my resume if I was looking for a job.
Link Posted: 12/7/2021 10:43:10 AM EDT
[#12]
Quoted:
Due to my birthday, my earning of Arrow of Light in cub scouts, and going to Scout Camp, I earned my Eagle when I was 12 (was almost 13).  I got it early simply by how it all lined up.  By the time I went to Scout Camp the first time I already was beyond tenderfoot and had all the merit badges the nighthawk program for 1st years awarded.

<-late 1992.
View Quote

How did your service project work?
Link Posted: 12/7/2021 10:47:10 AM EDT
[#13]
Quoted:

I would view that person indoctrinated and supporting the demise
of traditional values.

View Quote

I think that is a bit of an overreaction.

I dont put eagle on my resume, I havent for a while, but there are a lot of folks who did it for the right reasons
Link Posted: 12/7/2021 11:04:20 AM EDT
[#14]
Quoted:
It doesn't matter. The title of "Eagle Scout" no longer holds value.
View Quote

My son was in Scouts for a few years, and I watched kids get signed off on requirements they didn't complete by parent volunteers. It was embarrassing, seeing unqualified moron kids make Eagle. And the final projects were week as shit as well.
Link Posted: 12/7/2021 11:10:40 AM EDT
[#15]
Quoted:

Bingo.
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
The key to making a boy an Eagle Scout, is to have them do it before they turn 16.  

Once that get that drivers license, and discover girls, they're done with scouting.

Bingo.

This was where I was.

When I turned 15 I was almost out of time to particpate in the scouts.  Thankfully I had participated in acted in various roles so that wasn't a problem.

All that remained was my project and I didn't complete that until I was 17 going on 18 (the cut off) when I went to my review board.  Had certain people not pushed me I would not have received it simply because I had other commitments.

Link Posted: 12/7/2021 11:15:00 AM EDT
[#16]
Quoted:
It really depends on whether the troop is building real scouts, or just running a merit badge clinic.

I've seen too many people treat Scouts like just a checklist, to be signed off on as quickly as possible, with no care to actual skill retention along the way.
View Quote
This was why my father and I got out of it in the 90's and I never saw fit to help my sons get into it.  
Link Posted: 12/7/2021 11:21:41 AM EDT
[#17]
Quoted:
My BIL joined at 15 or 16 and Eagled in the 80s. Not impossible if you're motivated. There are plenty of very early teen Eagle Scouts as well.

That being said, I saw a girl's eagle project which was planting a couple of two post signs in a natural area. No concrete since it is a flood area. We were making duck boards for a muddy part of a nearby trail for an Eagle project for one of the boys in our troop. She did show leadership... but c'mon.

My daughter is in AHG, and is trying to figure out a project she can do that will meet the required 100+ total hours of volunteer effort.

I've sat on a few Eagle Boards. The best piece of advice I got from an adult was that some Eagle Scouts are A+, and some are C or D. We had an 18yo kid who could not even recite the Scout Oath, Scout Law or Outdoor code.
View Quote

Signboards or small kiosks seem to be the uninspired easy method of ES projects.
Link Posted: 12/7/2021 11:22:19 AM EDT
[#18]
Kid in my troop in the seventies made Eagle at 13.

Depends how dedicated you are, there’s no time frame, just earning the merit badges , completing the projects and getting it reviewed and checked off.

Another wonderful organization destroyed by the liberals.
Link Posted: 12/7/2021 11:28:08 AM EDT
[#19]
When I earned my Eagle Scout, the percentage was around 3% - 5% of Scouts that started would earn the Eagle Rank.  That percentage is now around 10%.  My troop was not an "Eagle Mill", but several of my friends and I earned our Eagles all in around a year.  But, we all started at the same time and had a Scoutmaster who was a former Eagle Scout who made sure that we earned the rank.

My son is now in Cub Scouts (and in the Arrow of Light year), and it is not the same program that it was when I was his age.  BSA have made some bone-headed moves in an effort to attract more and more youths into the program, and I feel that it has diluted the program.  For example, there has been a real emphasis to increase the number of packs, posts, and troops but little effort in placing qualified leaders in them.  The first year my son was in it, we got booted because I sent the den leader a text saying that we need to talk and offered discuss some ways to improve the direction the Den was going.  We found a different Pack the next year.
Link Posted: 12/7/2021 11:29:02 AM EDT
[#20]
My son's old Troop had a lady join up with her two boys.  One was just entering scouting, the other was already a Life Scout.  She got the BS flag raised on her when she submitted the paperwork for her youngest for his Camping MB.  Problem was, he was only a scout in our troop, did not attend enough camp outs to qualify for the MB, but she claimed he was on some of the earlier camping trips when he wasn't.  

Our ASM was a stickler for details and actually pulled records and reported her to council and requested her oldest son's record be reviewed since he was jumping from troop to troop.  We were called a racist Troop and she was allowed to form her own Troop and continue printing merit badges with no oversight.
Link Posted: 12/7/2021 11:39:23 AM EDT
[#21]
My son made Eagle at 15. He worked tirelessly to do it.  He also remained in the tropp till just shy of 18.  36 some odd merit badges.  The things that were bestowed upon him at his court of honor were amazing.  Letters from presidents, astronauts, Blue Angels.  He was accepted into every college he applied to - in part to this.  He even had job interviews after college where it came up and he got hired.  It really was an amazing thing.  Sad to think what its become....
Link Posted: 12/7/2021 11:41:55 AM EDT
[#22]
Quoted:

It's hard but you could do it iirc. I think it was required 6 months in first class, star, and life.

That being said....
View Quote

Less than that now.  You can work on Scout, Tenderfoot, Second and First Class concurrently.  The limiting factor is overnight campouts.   Star/Life/Eagle limiting factor is time in designated leadership positions.
Link Posted: 12/7/2021 11:43:33 AM EDT
[#23]
I loved scouts but I spent years in and never made it past tenderfoot lol. I just loved the traveling and camping. I never cared about the flair.
Link Posted: 12/7/2021 11:46:59 AM EDT
[#24]
Quoted:
I was an ASM for our local troop until it went co-ed.  IMO girls do not belong in BSA.  
View Quote

You waited about 50 years too late to decide that.  Venture Crews, Explorer Posts and Ships had the option of being co-ed or all-girl for several decades.  Troops and Packs were the exceptions until now.
Link Posted: 12/7/2021 11:49:40 AM EDT
[#25]
Quoted:
This was why my father and I got out of it in the 90's and I never saw fit to help my sons get into it.  
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
It really depends on whether the troop is building real scouts, or just running a merit badge clinic.

I've seen too many people treat Scouts like just a checklist, to be signed off on as quickly as possible, with no care to actual skill retention along the way.

Ah yes, because a checklist approach with no care to skill retention is so much worse than no exposure to such skills at all.
Link Posted: 12/7/2021 11:58:39 AM EDT
[#26]
Quoted:
I loved scouts but I spent years in and never made it past tenderfoot lol. I just loved the traveling and camping. I never cared about the flair.
View Quote

Shit, I had to make sure this wasn't my post already.    I was a major fuck off, but dammit, I had fun and I learned a lot from those few short years.  My brother was a Life for Life.
Link Posted: 12/7/2021 12:04:18 PM EDT
[#27]
The warnings are true - I turned 16, got my driver's license and it all went to hell for me.  I was Life and never made ES.  My best friend did.

We had a great troop and did some awesome outdoor stuff.  One of the guys in our troop leadership was senior enlisted in the MATES at Camp Grayling, we spent a lot of time getting to so some pretty awesome stuff on the base.  I loved my time in Scouts.
Link Posted: 12/7/2021 12:08:56 PM EDT
[#28]
Took me 5 years. But my mother always told me I was an underachiever.
Link Posted: 12/7/2021 12:12:29 PM EDT
[#29]
She was probably a tranny.

Organizations will disregard all rules and requirements in order to prop up whatever woke trophy they have.
Link Posted: 12/7/2021 12:30:03 PM EDT
[#30]
Quoted:
I was an ASM for our local troop until it went co-ed.  IMO girls do not belong in BSA.  Just learned today that one of the girls in that new female troop already made Eagle.

I thought it took longer than that to Eagle out?
View Quote
How is it possible that you were an ASM and doubt that Eagle can be accomplished in 3 years? I have been a Scoutmaster and ASM. 3 years is just about the perfect amount of time. Scouts who begin at age 11 can easily make 1st class in the first year if they apply themselves. Star Scout is 4 months after that and Life will take another 6. That's 2 years. Eagle takes another 6 months minimum. That leaves 6 months of foot dragging.
A well run program should be able to bring every motivated scout in the troop to Eagle or within reach of Eagle in 3 years.
Unfortunately, many scouting programs are not well ran.  The ideal age for a scout to make Eagle is 15. That's before cars, jobs and girls begin to distract them.
Sure, most Eagles come later, but it can easily be done in 3 years.

Edit:

If it can't, or shouldn't be accomplished within 3 years, then why is the advancement program designed to allow Eagle to be achieved within 3 years?
Link Posted: 12/7/2021 12:38:08 PM EDT
[#31]
I've been involved in scouting for over 20 years - girl scouts, boy scouts, and scouts bsa.

I wouldn't trade any of my experiences for those in many other organizations. My oldest daughter earned her Gold award. My oldest son is an Honorary Eagle. My youngest son is a Life scout working toward Eagle. My youngest daughter is working toward her Gold award. I will encourage my youngest to proudly list their scout accomplishments on anything they can - along with being three sport athletes, class officers, nhs members, peer counselors, etc.

There are some 'soft' eagles out there but they shouldn't detract from other's accomplishments.
Link Posted: 12/7/2021 2:35:45 PM EDT
[#32]
Quoted:
I've been involved in scouting for over 20 years - girl scouts, boy scouts, and scouts bsa.

I wouldn't trade any of my experiences for those in many other organizations. My oldest daughter earned her Gold award. My oldest son is an Honorary Eagle. My youngest son is a Life scout working toward Eagle. My youngest daughter is working toward her Gold award. I will encourage my youngest to proudly list their scout accomplishments on anything they can - along with being three sport athletes, class officers, nhs members, peer counselors, etc.

There are some 'soft' eagles out there but they shouldn't detract from other's accomplishments.
View Quote

Link Posted: 12/7/2021 3:06:21 PM EDT
[#33]
Link Posted: 12/7/2021 7:49:53 PM EDT
[#34]
I am a 3 year Eagle Scout. It is possible if adults get out of the way and let the youth excel.

My daughters are not on pace for Eagle within 36 months. That is ok.

Our family found a troop that has an extensive high adventure tradition. Girls are traveling hours each week just to join and be in this particular troop. My oldest has earned her 50 Miler 3 times now. The 10 hour conservation project requirement per award has been very labor intensive in the backcountry.

Our co-ed crew enjoyed the easier pace of Philmont (compared to our 50 milers) this past summer. My younger daughter will be going to Philmont with an all girl crew as they heard that the program elements were unique compared to our typical fishing, backpacking, and white water. I will be taking a crew to Northern Tier next summer.

My son was on pace for 36 month and is working on his project but will probably do it during the fall planting season when he can get seedlings to root in the forest burn scars near 8,000 ft.

Shotgun and rifle are the mainstays of  the 11 year - old summer camp. Axe throwing is a always a hit. By the time they are First Class it is time to put miles on the boots and climb to altitude. Snowshoeing is in season now and the hot springs are calling.

I applaud all the adults who put the youth of their community first and volunteer in any youth program capacity. 4H, BSA, GSA, TL, etc. Get the youth outside and have them accomplish more than just a high score on their phone tonight.

Girls need opportunities to excel as well as boys. My kids  received all the encouragement they need from experienced outdoorsmen at 12,000 feet along the Lizard Head Ridge in the Wind River's Cirque of the Towers. The only naysayers we hear are back in the lowlands. Its a bummer that kids are missing out for any reason. I try my best to never be that reason.
Page / 2
Next Page Arrow Left
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top