Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Site Notices
Arrow Left Previous Page
Page / 4
Posted: 8/15/2022 4:23:46 PM EDT
In another discussion forum I frequent, A friend of mine posted that a farmer she knows that does work on a test form for John Deere is being pressured to switch to electric tractors. They want to do this within a year.

Anybody on here heard of this being implemented within such a ridiculous deadline? She said her friend stated that the growth and harvest cycle requires tractors to be running nonstop for a week or more. How can they possibly create a tractor capable of running on battery power for 24 hours, little alone in under a year?

If what the John Deere rep reportedly said to the farmer is true, it sounds like Biden's administration is smoking some good stuff. This is reminiscient of the Soviet Union's central planning fiasco under Stalin, with impossible goals and resultant failures. Of course, starvation was the plan then... is it the plan now?
Link Posted: 8/15/2022 4:24:36 PM EDT
[#1]
Link Posted: 8/15/2022 4:25:13 PM EDT
[#2]
No problem... they just buy 3 tractors and 3 harvesters.  2 charging while 1 is running.

Stop being poor you damn peasant farmers!!!
Link Posted: 8/15/2022 4:25:29 PM EDT
[#3]
EV thread

Link Posted: 8/15/2022 4:26:51 PM EDT
[#4]
Link Posted: 8/15/2022 4:28:15 PM EDT
[#5]
So that means they've figured how to make batteries keep up with continued heavy load?  Maybe that was the talk within the past few weeks about approval for small nuclear reactors?  Or are they moving to lightning power?

Link Posted: 8/15/2022 4:29:37 PM EDT
[#6]
A regular diesel powered school bus cost around $115,000.  And EV school bus cost between $350,000 to $400,000.  

Same increase for a JD tractor.  

EV is not sustainable
Link Posted: 8/15/2022 4:29:48 PM EDT
[#7]
Just slap a solar array on the roof, how hard can this be?
Link Posted: 8/15/2022 4:30:40 PM EDT
[#8]
They don’t make their money on the tractor, the profit is all in the super long extension cord they are gonna need.
Link Posted: 8/15/2022 4:30:59 PM EDT
[#9]
Discussion ForumsJump to Quoted PostQuote History
Quoted:

EV is not sustainable
View Quote

It's not supposed to be.
Link Posted: 8/15/2022 4:32:05 PM EDT
[#10]
Not a fucking chance in hell. Farm equipment doesn't usually come home to a charger every night, and dumb fucking batteries will never be able to operate a high energy machine like a combine or large heavily loaded tractor for 16 plus hours a day.  It would work fine for hobby farmers.
Link Posted: 8/15/2022 4:34:11 PM EDT
[#11]
EVs need to have quick change batteries like cordless tools.  
Link Posted: 8/15/2022 4:36:19 PM EDT
[#12]
Quoted:
View Quote View All Quotes
View All Quotes
Quoted:

What good does that do for 12-16 hours a day when it's dark out?

Quoted:
Not a fucking chance in hell. Farm equipment doesn't usually come home to a charger every night, and dumb fucking batteries will never be able to operate a high energy machine like a combine or large heavily loaded tractor for 16 plus hours a day.  It would work fine for hobby farmers.

And I see plenty of equipment that sits at the edge of the field that it finished today so it's ready for the next field over in the morning. Or whenever the field dry out enough. Lots of wasted time/effort if you can't just leave it sit in place for days.
Link Posted: 8/15/2022 4:37:38 PM EDT
[#13]
That’s where every industry is trying to go as fast as possible.  Autonomy is huge in the equipment world as well.  

The push for EV is not stopping at cars.  

There is no way that EV is there for heavy machinery when not tethered.  Also, the cost to replace these units is simply unattainable for the majority of farms.
Link Posted: 8/15/2022 4:39:11 PM EDT
[#14]
I'm going to put it this way: Most of the people I know who drive Tesla's work as engineers for John Deere and if there was such a massive push for EV tractors I sure as hell would have heard them talk about it at least once. It ain't happening in a year.
Link Posted: 8/15/2022 4:40:25 PM EDT
[#15]
Quoted:

View Quote
My man, that was 100% sarcasm on my part.
Link Posted: 8/15/2022 4:44:41 PM EDT
[#16]
EV THREAD
Link Posted: 8/15/2022 4:46:35 PM EDT
[#17]
Quoted:
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

Just for the lolz, someone should do the math and see just how big the "roof panel" would have to be to power a typical agriculture tractor on-demand.  
Link Posted: 8/15/2022 4:47:52 PM EDT
[#18]

Ain’t happenin’
Link Posted: 8/15/2022 4:48:59 PM EDT
[#19]
Quoted:
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

I'm running on 2 hours of sleep.
Link Posted: 8/15/2022 4:50:33 PM EDT
[#20]
Massive flooding like the world has never seen coming to CA so we’re going to be busy.

https://www.sfgate.com/news/article/The-Coming-California-Megastorm-17371656.php?IPID=SFGate-HP-CP-Spotlight
Link Posted: 8/15/2022 4:53:42 PM EDT
[#21]
I got suckered in to trying an electric auger this springtime.

The rocky ass central Texas soil put it out if commission right away. Had an anti kickback feature so it's practically worthless.

A 50 year old Danueser with a broken bearing did the job. I simply can't see electrical agricultural machines that are capable in my lifetime.
Link Posted: 8/15/2022 4:56:53 PM EDT
[#22]
Quoted:

Just for the lolz, someone should do the math and see just how big the "roof panel" would have to be to power a typical agriculture tractor on-demand.  
View Quote

Problem solved

Link Posted: 8/15/2022 4:58:09 PM EDT
[#23]
Quoted:
EVs need to have quick change batteries like cordless tools.  
View Quote

A lithium battery for a combine that can last as long as a farmer needs to is going to weigh, what, 3 tons? Nobody is making a quick change 3 ton anything.
Link Posted: 8/15/2022 4:58:15 PM EDT
[#24]
I mean, if you wanted a food shortage, that would be a pretty good way to get one.....

Link Posted: 8/15/2022 5:00:27 PM EDT
[#25]
Quoted:

View Quote

A modern combine can burn 200 plus gallons of diesel in a 16 hour period.  Thats almost 28 million BTU.  Ill let someone smarter than me take it from there.
Link Posted: 8/15/2022 5:04:38 PM EDT
[#26]
Quoted:
A regular diesel powered school bus cost around $115,000.  And EV school bus cost between $350,000 to $400,000.  

Same increase for a JD tractor.  

EV is not sustainable
View Quote

A friend works for a large school bus company here in WI. He told me that a .gov agency offered to GIVE them an unspecified quantity of EV buses if the scrapped an equal amount of diesel buses.
Link Posted: 8/15/2022 5:05:40 PM EDT
[#27]
Quoted:

A modern combine can burn 200 plus gallons of diesel in a 16 hour period.  Thats almost 28 million BTU.  Ill let someone smarter than me take it from there.
View Quote

More than that.  If the combine is producing 400 hp, that is roughly 20 gallons and hour, over 300 gallons in 16 hours.  Forage harvestors kick out about 1000 hp, almost a gallon a minute for diesel.  Rule of thumb is one gallon diesel produces 20hp for an hour.
Link Posted: 8/15/2022 5:16:33 PM EDT
[#28]
It takes me 22 hours just to cut our fields. ??
Link Posted: 8/15/2022 5:17:49 PM EDT
[#29]
Quoted:

More than that.  If the combine is producing 400 hp, that is roughly 20 gallons and hour, over 300 gallons in 16 hours.  Forage harvestors kick out about 1000 hp, almost a gallon a minute for diesel.  Rule of thumb is one gallon diesel produces 20hp for an hour.
View Quote

You aren't using the full horsepower of the machine at all times though with the deere 670 combine im basing my experiences on.   A forage harvester?  Absolutely.
Link Posted: 8/15/2022 5:17:58 PM EDT
[#30]
Of course, electric tractors are completely feasible.  All they need is a powerful enough diesel generator onboard to keep the batteries continually charged during continuous use.  Easy Peasey.   Bonus points if it takes more diesel to charge the batteries than a diesel tractor burns.  

Democrats/commies/fascists/greenies/genocidal, homicidal maniacs/village idiots - but I repeat myself - should be thoroughly scorned for all of their agriculture related bloviating.    
Link Posted: 8/15/2022 5:31:33 PM EDT
[#31]

I doubt that would be enough.
Link Posted: 8/15/2022 5:37:17 PM EDT
[#32]
Quoted:
Massive flooding like the world has never seen coming to CA so we're going to be busy.

https://www.sfgate.com/news/article/The-Coming-California-Megastorm-17371656.php?IPID=SFGate-HP-CP-Spotlight
View Quote
This dude (the author) doesn't know when but it's coming.  Eventually.  Someday.  And it is going to be bad.  My speculation is that it'll also trigger the "big one" earthquake.  The dams will break.  Sharknados.  Tsunamis.  Vitamin D deficiencies due to the lack of sunshine.  George Hamilton will lose his tan.  Avocados will vanish from the store shelves.  Snail Darters will drown.

"Drenching rain will pummel cities and towns. At times, the hills around Los Angeles could get nearly 2 inches of rain an hour. Heavy rain and snow in the Sierra Nevada will test dams in the Central Valley, one of the world's most productive farm belts.
While all this has been happening, another filament of moisture-laden air will have formed over the Pacific and hurtled toward California. Then another. And another.
After a month, nearly 16 inches of precipitation, on average, will have fallen across the state. Large swaths of mountainous areas will have gotten much more. Communities might be ravaged beyond resettling. None of the state's major industries, from tech and Hollywood to farming and oil, will be untouched."

Link Posted: 8/15/2022 5:39:02 PM EDT
[#33]
This has been done here before

Not happening any time soon
Link Posted: 8/15/2022 5:51:07 PM EDT
[#34]
Quoted:
In another discussion forum I frequent, A friend of mine posted that a farmer she knows that does work on a test form for John Deere is being pressured to switch to electric tractors. They want to do this within a year.

Anybody on here heard of this being implemented within such a ridiculous deadline? She said her friend stated that the growth and harvest cycle requires tractors to be running nonstop for a week or more. How can they possibly create a tractor capable of running on battery power for 24 hours, little alone in under a year?

If what the John Deere rep reportedly said to the farmer is true, it sounds like Biden's administration is smoking some good stuff. This is reminiscient of the Soviet Union's central planning fiasco under Stalin, with impossible goals and resultant failures. Of course, starvation was the plan then... is it the plan now?
View Quote

Maybe towing a generator behind it.
Link Posted: 8/15/2022 5:58:22 PM EDT
[#35]
Quoted:

I doubt that would be enough.
View All Quotes

I’m positive it wouldn’t be…it was a joke

Even if it was…. It would be so covered in dust within 15 minutes it wouldn’t matter.
Link Posted: 8/15/2022 6:01:28 PM EDT
[#36]
Quoted:
No problem... they just buy 3 tractors and 3 harvesters.  2 charging while 1 is running.

Stop being poor you damn peasant farmers!!!
View Quote

Purchase? You mean lease, right? JD will maintain a huge fleet for use only during planting and harvest. You’ll pay per hour for their use. What, you don’t like all control being wrenched from your hands? Luddite!
Link Posted: 8/15/2022 6:03:37 PM EDT
[#37]
Well 25 years ago or so i worked at warehouse that used electric forklifts. Worked 3 shifts.
Every forklift had 2 batteries, 1 in the lift and 1 on a pallet plugged in to a charger. Took about 5 minutes to swap out batteries.
Use a little imagination and you can see how that might work for tractors.
Link Posted: 8/15/2022 6:04:31 PM EDT
[#38]
Quoted:
Well 25 years ago or so i worked at warehouse that used electric forklifts. Worked 3 shifts.
Every forklift had 2 batteries, 1 in the lift and 1 on a pallet plugged in to a charger. Took about 5 minutes to swap out batteries.
View Quote

Sir. This is an EV thread.
Link Posted: 8/15/2022 6:05:43 PM EDT
[#39]
Quoted:
View Quote

lol no.  You're little pissant forklift doesn't require 20 to 30 million BTU per day.   Id love to see the size of the battery pack that requires, and watch you simply swap one out.
Link Posted: 8/15/2022 6:07:13 PM EDT
[#40]
It is an impossibility to have battery powered tractors with the same capabilities as ICE powered tractors within one calendar year from now. In five years it might happen, but ten is much more likely.
Link Posted: 8/15/2022 6:07:48 PM EDT
[#41]
Quoted:

lol no.  You're little pissant forklift doesn't require 30million BTU per day.   Id love to see the size of the battery pack that requires, and watch you simply swap one out.
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

lol no.  You're little pissant forklift doesn't require 30million BTU per day.   Id love to see the size of the battery pack that requires, and watch you simply swap one out.

Good thing technology never advances!
Link Posted: 8/15/2022 6:08:19 PM EDT
[#42]
Quoted:
It is an impossibility to have battery powered tractors with the same capabilities as ICE powered tractors within one calendar year from now. In five years it might happen, but ten is much more likely.
View Quote

It will never happen, period.
Link Posted: 8/15/2022 6:08:24 PM EDT
[#43]
Quoted:
View Quote

Eventually body panels will also act as solar panels, but obviously we aren't there yet.
Link Posted: 8/15/2022 6:08:50 PM EDT
[#44]
Quoted:

You aren't using the full horsepower of the machine at all times though with the deere 670 combine im basing my experiences on.   A forage harvester?  Absolutely.
View Quote

High moisture corn will pull the guts out of it.
Link Posted: 8/15/2022 6:08:58 PM EDT
[#45]
Quoted:

Good thing technology never advances!
View Quote

Lol ok. Show me the math.
Link Posted: 8/15/2022 6:09:00 PM EDT
[#46]
Quoted:
View Quote

I'd be in this camp.

We will get there, and they will be badass tools.

But yeah, few more years.
Link Posted: 8/15/2022 6:09:48 PM EDT
[#47]
Quoted:

High moisture corn will pull the guts out of it.
View Quote

I burn more fuel in green stem beans. Don't generally pick corn unless it's sub 20%
Link Posted: 8/15/2022 6:10:23 PM EDT
[#48]
It will also be autonomous. It will go to a charger as needed and work around the clock.

Autonomous Electric Tractor - Future of Farming | John Deere
Link Posted: 8/15/2022 6:11:00 PM EDT
[#49]
Quoted:
It will also be autonomous. It will go to a charger as needed and work around the clock.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=gMaQq_vRaa8
View Quote

Unaffordable and a massive liability.  I also have bad news for you. In regards to a harvester, people have to be there to take the product away. It has to work on our schedule, not its autonomous one.
Link Posted: 8/15/2022 6:11:47 PM EDT
[#50]
Quoted:
View Quote

I know guys who have 20 fields spread over half a county. How are they going to afford all those charging stations?
Arrow Left Previous Page
Page / 4
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top