Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Page / 3
Link Posted: 11/13/2018 10:56:26 PM EDT
[#1]
Discussion ForumsJump to Quoted PostQuote History
Quoted:
I know a woman who swears by Fels Naptha & 20 Mule Team Borax. YMMV.
View Quote
My grandmother used to do that.  Seemed to work.
Link Posted: 11/13/2018 10:58:01 PM EDT
[#2]
Link Posted: 11/13/2018 10:59:34 PM EDT
[#3]
Never thought about it for dishes or laundry, but it's a fantastic surface prep, prior to painting.

As has been said already a hundred times! LOL
Link Posted: 11/13/2018 11:00:28 PM EDT
[#4]
Arfcom survival forum has a thread called Wash your Shorts.

Basic laundry soap is:
20 Mule Team Borax
Washing Soda (Arm n Hammer. Not baking soda. Look in laundry aisle)
Fels Naptha bar

Optional:
Sodium Tripolyphosphate (STP)

I couldn't find the arfcom link but this is an example
https://www.humoroushomemaking.com/homemade-powder-laundry-detergent
This powders the mix.  You can also boil water and put the ingredients in to make a liquid soap.

Arfcom related link(s):
https://www.ar15.com/forums/general/I_need_a_new_source_for_sodium_tripolyphosphate_/5-1882701/
https://www.ar15.com/forums/general/_ARCHIVED_THREAD____Whats_the_name_of_the_chemical_that_was_banned_from_dishwashing_soap/5-1146957/?page=1

ETA found it: wash my drawers
https://www.ar15.com/forums/outdoors/wash_your_drawers/17-621990/?
Link Posted: 11/13/2018 11:03:12 PM EDT
[#5]
I have a big old bag of sodium tripolyphosphate. A pinch makes my laundry and dishes cleaner.
Link Posted: 11/13/2018 11:04:41 PM EDT
[#6]
Sodium Tripolyphosphate
This is what you need. I buy 10 pounds about once every two years or so, and add it to the box of laundry detergent based on the number of loads the box does. 1/2TBS per load and a 1/2tsp per load for the dishwasher, and 1 TBS to my carwash bucket to prevent water spotting if I'm slow to get it dried off. Our water is pretty hard.
Link Posted: 11/13/2018 11:05:26 PM EDT
[#7]
Quoted:
Your whites will be nicely white again, easier.
View Quote
Not just white, nationalist white!
Link Posted: 11/13/2018 11:10:41 PM EDT
[#8]
Oh shit, washer is done
Link Posted: 11/13/2018 11:14:22 PM EDT
[#9]
Well, a quick look didn’t show any damage.  I suppose I’ll know more when this load is done drying. I’ll put off doing more laundry until the poly stuff shows up.
Link Posted: 11/13/2018 11:16:19 PM EDT
[#10]
Quoted:
I just ordered the proper tripolysulphate stuff on Amazon. I get the sinking feeling I'm going down in ARF history for this
View Quote
Link Posted: 11/13/2018 11:18:59 PM EDT
[#11]
Link Posted: 11/13/2018 11:26:43 PM EDT
[#12]
Quoted:
Put an 8th cup of it in my dishwasher too.  I’m phosphating all the things!
View Quote View All Quotes
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
Is this the same stuff people wash dishes with around here?
Put an 8th cup of it in my dishwasher too.  I’m phosphating all the things!
Damn, I only use a teaspoon. Bought 10 pounds of Amazon 2 years ago, I'm a little over halfway through it.

ETA: I bought sodium tripolyphosphate because arfcom knows all.
Link Posted: 11/13/2018 11:43:00 PM EDT
[#13]
According to Wikipedia, both STPP and TSP were used in detergents.
Link Posted: 11/13/2018 11:43:29 PM EDT
[#14]
I got my STPP(Sodium Tripolyphosphate) from The Chemistry Store.
Link Posted: 11/14/2018 12:14:55 AM EDT
[#15]
Quoted:
According to Wikipedia, both STPP and TSP were used in detergents.
View Quote
I saw that too. I’m so damned confused
Link Posted: 11/14/2018 12:19:43 AM EDT
[#16]
Well, shit.  I've been using TSP for years.  For laundry and in the diswasher.  Seems to work fine.  WTF..

Link Posted: 11/14/2018 12:23:28 AM EDT
[#17]
Quoted:
No radioactive water here
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
Are you using tritiated water?
No, you mean heavy water
Link Posted: 11/14/2018 12:28:30 AM EDT
[#18]
Quoted:
No, you mean heavy water
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:
Are you using tritiated water?
No, you mean heavy water
That either
Link Posted: 11/14/2018 12:29:11 AM EDT
[#19]
Quoted:
Well, shit.  I've been using TSP for years.  For laundry and in the diswasher.  Seems to work fine.  WTF..

https://mobileimages.lowes.com/product/converted/049542/049542106214.jpg
View Quote
Have you noticed any positive effects?
Link Posted: 11/14/2018 12:34:22 AM EDT
[#20]
i dont really notice any difference in the washing machine but does wonders in the dishwasher.
Link Posted: 11/14/2018 12:37:48 AM EDT
[#21]
TSP is good shit for basically everything, it's a powerful surfactant, which is the action that makes soap clean stuff, it gets between the material and the dirt/ grime/ whatever.

Unfortunately, the phosphate especially is what drives the environmentalists bonkers. A lot of states have banned it's use in laundry detergents. Same thing with dish washing detergent.

Add TSP to stuff as mentioned if you've never used old school better living through chemistry era soaps, and it's like watching when "The wizard of oz" goes from black and white to color.
Link Posted: 11/14/2018 12:53:19 AM EDT
[#22]
Quoted: A lot of states have banned it's use in laundry detergents. Same thing with dish washing detergent.  
View Quote
Yup, even though that made up under 10% of runoff, it's the part they banned. Typical liberal head-in-the-sand policymaking, make things inconvenient for the everyman and ignore the major root causes.
Link Posted: 11/14/2018 12:56:49 AM EDT
[#23]
trench foot
Link Posted: 11/14/2018 7:17:01 AM EDT
[#24]
So, is it septic safe in small doses?
Link Posted: 11/14/2018 7:27:50 AM EDT
[#25]
Per ban Tide.
Link Posted: 11/14/2018 7:29:12 AM EDT
[#26]
Some of it says "food grade" wtf? You can consume this stuff too?
Link Posted: 11/14/2018 7:45:50 AM EDT
[#27]
For the dishwasher just use Cascade fryer boil out powder.  I add a tsp along with a normal dishwasher tablet.  It is supposedly not great for septics so thats why I just use a little.  It boosts the cleaning power.
Link Posted: 11/14/2018 8:58:12 AM EDT
[#28]
Yeah its acts as an emulsifier and I believe preservative
Link Posted: 11/14/2018 9:13:56 AM EDT
[#29]
will it f up a stainless washer drum and can you do colors with it?
Link Posted: 11/14/2018 9:21:39 AM EDT
[#30]
Quoted:
will it f up a stainless washer drum and can you do colors with it?
View Quote
It doesn't fuck with metals.  I seem to recall something about septic tank issues, like building excess sludge.  I dunno.

I have a grey water tank, shit is on it's own tank.  I use one tablespoon with whites or extra dirty laundry.  Grease gets a quarter cup.

Shit works wonders.  It cleans
Link Posted: 11/14/2018 9:24:43 AM EDT
[#31]
Update, my socks and coat survived.  I’m not sure if I got lucky or if the TSP isn’t much different than the TSPP.  I guess I’ll know more Friday when my order of TSPP shows up.
Link Posted: 11/14/2018 9:24:59 AM EDT
[#32]
OP, you’ll see this but without the dynamite.

MVI_3406.AVI By Jimmy Ferris Spur Texas
Link Posted: 11/14/2018 9:29:49 AM EDT
[#33]
LOL. We use to do that to public fountains when I was a kid.
Link Posted: 11/14/2018 9:34:33 AM EDT
[#34]
Quoted:

Basic laundry soap is:
20 Mule Team Borax
Fels Naptha bar

Optional:

This powders the mix.  You can also boil water and put the ingredients in to make a liquid soap.

Arfcom related link(s):
https://www.ar15.com/forums/general/I_need_a_new_source_for_sodium_tripolyphosphate_/5-1882701/
https://www.ar15.com/forums/general/_ARCHIVED_THREAD____Whats_the_name_of_the_chemical_that_was_banned_from_dishwashing_soap/5-1146957/?page=1

View Quote
If I wanted to make this homemade powdered laundry detergent, how much sodium tripolyphosphate would I also add?

1 bar Fels Naptha
1 cup 20 Mule Borax
1 cup Arm & Hammer Washing Soda
??? STPP

Not looking to save money, I just want my work clothes to actually come clean for a change.
Link Posted: 11/14/2018 10:00:15 AM EDT
[#35]
TSP and TSPP are two things no longer found in your laundry soap, you can use them both safely.
Link Posted: 11/14/2018 10:06:47 AM EDT
[#36]
Quoted:
If I wanted to make this homemade powdered laundry detergent, how much sodium tripolyphosphate would I also add?

1 bar Fels Naptha
1 cup 20 Mule Borax
??? STPP

Not looking to save money, I just want my work clothes to actually come clean for a change.
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

Basic laundry soap is:
20 Mule Team Borax
Fels Naptha bar

Optional:

Arfcom related link(s):

1 bar Fels Naptha
1 cup 20 Mule Borax
??? STPP

Somewhere someone suggested adding so many teaspoons per load.  I'd figure out how many loads per batch of the homemade stuff and add to that mix accordingly.

Or keep it separate from each other.  One scoop of homemade stuff, then one scoop of tsp, stp, stpp whatever.  Then you can control when you use it. Extra dirty clothes gets the stp.  Regular clothes doesn't.

Outside of that, read through some of the links.  I'll see if I can't find more info today

ETA
An article at Hunker.com says to use your normal amount of regular laundry soap in the machine, add 1/4 cup of TSP, as washer begins filling with water, then add clothes.

There is another article at...  mises.org/library/why-everything-dirtier  ....where the author added 1/4 cup of TSP to his laundry and it worked wonders.  He asked his dry cleaner why it got cleaner better results than the dry cleaner. The dry cleaner said it wasn't a commercially viable product and pointed the author to the Dry Cleaning and Laundry Institute which replied to the authors inquiry that "It is true that trisodium phosphate produces cleaner laundry".

This reads like an Arfcom GD fantasy novel complete with a conspiracy theory of government out to mandate away our detergents to control us dirty knaves and ruin an entire industry (dry cleaning).....

Man this guy found his hill to die on:

This is the whole trajectory of life under government control. They are the predators; we are their prey. And this isn't just about clean dishes and clothes. It applies to every regulation, every tax, every expenditure, every stupid war, and every monetary manipulation. Everything government does comes at our expense, and the costs are both seen and unseen.

How much will people put up with until they arrange for the regulators to sleep with the fishes?
Link Posted: 11/14/2018 11:04:56 AM EDT
[#37]
What's wrong with using laundry detergent to wash my clothes? We have a new baby on the way, wifey is making me buy this expensive dye and fragrance free stuff
Link Posted: 11/14/2018 11:20:10 AM EDT
[#38]
Any answers on the septic question?
Link Posted: 11/14/2018 11:27:48 AM EDT
[#39]
Hijack time

I bought a box of borax to help the kids make slime

What will the borax do to the laundry?
Link Posted: 11/14/2018 11:31:59 AM EDT
[#40]
Quoted:
What's wrong with using laundry detergent to wash my clothes? We have a new baby on the way, wifey is making me buy this expensive dye and fragrance free stuff
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Our kids clothes have been washed with "normal" detergents their entire lives.  Just like all my clothes were, and my parents clothes, etc etc.  When she first got pregnant my wife kinda hinted that she might wanna try some dye-free garbage and I don't mean to sound like an internet tough guy but I made sure I shut that shit down immediately.

I'm kinda interested in making my own just so I can have something that cleans better, not to save money or because it's somehow "safer" than what's available on the shelves already.

Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:

Basic laundry soap is:
20 Mule Team Borax
Fels Naptha bar

Optional:

Arfcom related link(s):

1 bar Fels Naptha
1 cup 20 Mule Borax
??? STPP

Somewhere someone suggested adding so many teaspoons per load.  I'd figure out how many loads per batch of the homemade stuff and add to that mix accordingly.

Or keep it separate from each other.  One scoop of homemade stuff, then one scoop of tsp, stp, stpp whatever.  Then you can control when you use it. Extra dirty clothes gets the stp.  Regular clothes doesn't.

Outside of that, read through some of the links.  I'll see if I can't find more info today

ETA
An article at Hunker.com says to use your normal amount of regular laundry soap in the machine, add 1/4 cup of TSP, as washer begins filling with water, then add clothes.

There is another article at...  mises.org/library/why-everything-dirtier  ....where the author added 1/4 cup of TSP to his laundry and it worked wonders.  He asked his dry cleaner why it got cleaner better results than the dry cleaner. The dry cleaner said it wasn't a commercially viable product and pointed the author to the Dry Cleaning and Laundry Institute which replied to the authors inquiry that "It is true that trisodium phosphate produces cleaner laundry".

This reads like an Arfcom GD fantasy novel complete with a conspiracy theory of government out to mandate away our detergents to control us dirty knaves and ruin an entire industry (dry cleaning).....

Man this guy found his hill to die on:

This is the whole trajectory of life under government control. They are the predators; we are their prey. And this isn't just about clean dishes and clothes. It applies to every regulation, every tax, every expenditure, every stupid war, and every monetary manipulation. Everything government does comes at our expense, and the costs are both seen and unseen.

How much will people put up with until they arrange for the regulators to sleep with the fishes?
Link Posted: 11/14/2018 11:36:30 AM EDT
[#41]
Eatkamloops.org provides their recipe:

Wicked Laundry Soap
2 parts soap, ground into small pieces (e.g. Fels naptha)
1 part washing soda powder
1 part borax powder
1 part trisodium phosphate (TSP)

So far, I haven't found many recipes using the sodium tripolyphosphate, yet.
Link Posted: 11/14/2018 11:37:50 AM EDT
[#42]
Quoted:
Hijack time

I bought a box of borax to help the kids make slime

What will the borax do to the laundry?
View Quote
Borax converts to hydrogen peroxide, which is a whitening agent.  It can enhance the power of bleach to make your whites whiter.

10 cups of water
Fels-Naptha Soap bar, 5.5oz
Washing Soda, 8oz
Sodium tetraborate decahydrate, 8oz
Sodium Tripolyphosphate, 4oz
Trisodium Phosphate, 4oz
Sodium Metasilicate, 2oz
Sodium Lauryl Sulfate, 2oz

Mix all that together in a pot and then dilute with 2 gallons of distilled water.
Link Posted: 11/14/2018 11:48:09 AM EDT
[#43]
Quoted:
Eatkamloops.org provides their recipe:

Wicked Laundry Soap
2 parts soap, ground into small pieces (e.g. Fels naptha)
1 part washing soda powder
1 part borax powder
1 part trisodium phosphate (TSP)

So far, I haven't found many recipes using the sodium tripolyphosphate, yet.
View Quote
Seems reasonable.  Should be a good project for Thanksgiving weekend.
Link Posted: 11/14/2018 12:02:20 PM EDT
[#44]
I just use Bubble Bandit.
Link Posted: 11/14/2018 12:19:11 PM EDT
[#45]
Quoted:

When she first got pregnant my wife kinda hinted that she might wanna try some dye-free garbage and I don't mean to sound like an internet tough guy but I made sure I shut that shit down immediately.
View Quote
So your wife said “honey, you know how I’m an analytical intelligent human with a brain, and lots of people are allergic to dyes/smelly chemicals in laundry soap, and there are often hormonal changes during pregnacry that could trigger some allergies? And maybe YOUR baby could somehow be allergic to or effected by it? Maybe next time you’re at the store get the non smelly gain in the white bottle that’s the same price as the smelly shit in the green bottle please.”

And you was all like
“ hurr durr fuck no ho. I love my mamma and momma washes with the smelly shit and my mima washes with the smelly shit and by god yer washing with the smelly shit tu”

Classic

ETA: I’m glad none of your kids/wife do/did suffer rashes and allergies, but seriously just because something has “always” been done doesn’t mean it’s good or best practice
Link Posted: 11/14/2018 12:32:24 PM EDT
[#46]
Quoted:
So your wife said “honey, you know how I’m an analytical intelligent human with a brain, and lots of people are allergic to dyes/smelly chemicals in laundry soap, and there are often hormonal changes during pregnacry that could trigger some allergies? And maybe YOUR baby could somehow be allergic to or effected by it? Maybe next time you’re at the store get the non smelly gain in the white bottle that’s the same price as the smelly shit in the green bottle please.”

And you was all like
“ hurr durr fuck no ho. I love my mamma and momma washes with the smelly shit and my mima washes with the smelly shit and by god yer washing with the smelly shit tu”

Classic

ETA: I’m glad none of your kids/wife do/did suffer rashes and allergies, but seriously just because something has “always” been done doesn’t mean it’s good or best practice
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

When she first got pregnant my wife kinda hinted that she might wanna try some dye-free garbage and I don't mean to sound like an internet tough guy but I made sure I shut that shit down immediately.

And you was all like

Classic

No, she said "one of the retarded women with with no analytical skills or functioning brain I'm friends with on Facebook say they know someone who overheard someone who was reading a blog comment where someone who bought a used washing machine from someone who used regular Tide ended up with a kid who was allergic to everything including air and water and the mother's cousin's yoga instructor's nephew said it was because of the chemicals in the Tide" and I said "no, we're going to use regular Tide" and that was the end of the conversation.
Link Posted: 11/14/2018 12:37:16 PM EDT
[#47]
I bought a 5lb bag off a high-rated dude on Amazon a while ago. I haven't noticed any difference, but I am using terribly shitty over-worked pay washers.
Link Posted: 11/14/2018 12:39:13 PM EDT
[#48]
I did a bit of research on this topic when we had to buy a new washer, and the clothes were not clean/fresh smelling with basic Tide.

As I remember, STPP will destroy the seals in your washer.

True or false?
Link Posted: 11/14/2018 12:43:18 PM EDT
[#49]
Is it phosphate free?
Link Posted: 11/14/2018 12:58:05 PM EDT
[#50]
What do these clothes look like when viewed in low light with NVG's after being washed with that?
Page / 3
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top