User Panel

Site Notices
Page / 3
Next Page Arrow Left
Link Posted: 11/14/2018 1:01:02 PM EDT
[#1]
Discussion ForumsJump to Quoted PostQuote History
Quoted:
No, she said "one of the retarded women with with no analytical skills or functioning brain I'm friends with on Facebook say they know someone who overheard someone who was reading a blog comment where someone who bought a used washing machine from someone who used regular Tide ended up with a kid who was allergic to everything including air and water and the mother's cousin's yoga instructor's nephew said it was because of the chemicals in the Tide" and I said "no, we're going to use regular Tide" and that was the end of the conversation.
View Quote View All Quotes
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:

When she first got pregnant my wife kinda hinted that she might wanna try some dye-free garbage and I don't mean to sound like an internet tough guy but I made sure I shut that shit down immediately.
So your wife said “honey, you know how I’m an analytical intelligent human with a brain, and lots of people are allergic to dyes/smelly chemicals in laundry soap, and there are often hormonal changes during pregnacry that could trigger some allergies? And maybe YOUR baby could somehow be allergic to or effected by it? Maybe next time you’re at the store get the non smelly gain in the white bottle that’s the same price as the smelly shit in the green bottle please.”

And you was all like
“ hurr durr fuck no ho. I love my mamma and momma washes with the smelly shit and my mima washes with the smelly shit and by god yer washing with the smelly shit tu”

Classic

ETA: I’m glad none of your kids/wife do/did suffer rashes and allergies, but seriously just because something has “always” been done doesn’t mean it’s good or best practice
No, she said "one of the retarded women with with no analytical skills or functioning brain I'm friends with on Facebook say they know someone who overheard someone who was reading a blog comment where someone who bought a used washing machine from someone who used regular Tide ended up with a kid who was allergic to everything including air and water and the mother's cousin's yoga instructor's nephew said it was because of the chemicals in the Tide" and I said "no, we're going to use regular Tide" and that was the end of the conversation.
Boom.
Link Posted: 11/14/2018 1:04:04 PM EDT
[#2]
how much TSP to use in a load? 1 cup?

can it mess up colors or for whites only?
Link Posted: 11/14/2018 1:14:09 PM EDT
[#3]
Quoted:

View Quote
calm down I was totally kidding. It’s gd I’m here for the laughs. Why else would I have said “hurr durr fuck no ho”. Lol I thought it was funny.

Except the edit. Actually serious about that sentence.
Link Posted: 11/14/2018 1:17:10 PM EDT
[#4]
Quoted:
Well, shit.  I've been using TSP for years.  For laundry and in the diswasher.  Seems to work fine.  WTF..

https://mobileimages.lowes.com/product/converted/049542/049542106214.jpg
View Quote
No lead dust for you! Booyah!!!
Link Posted: 11/14/2018 1:19:41 PM EDT
[#5]
Quoted:
Update, my socks and coat survived.  I’m not sure if I got lucky or if the TSP isn’t much different than the TSPP.  I guess I’ll know more Friday when my order of TSPP shows up.
View Quote
I made the same mistake a few years ago and my clothes survived.  I then tried the TSP on the garage floor and the grease and oil stains laughed at it
Link Posted: 11/14/2018 1:21:38 PM EDT
[#6]
Quoted:

So I’m absolutely fucked?
View Quote
TSP is too strong. There's another type of phosphate you should use. It's been mentioned in many many threads here over the years, but the name is escaping me.

You're gonna have some beat up clothes coming out of the wash.

Amazon Product
  • Water softening
  • Sequestering
  • Peptizing

Link Posted: 11/14/2018 1:24:33 PM EDT
[#7]
Quoted:
Borax converts to hydrogen peroxide, which is a whitening agent.  It can enhance the power of bleach to make your whites whiter.
View Quote

its a water softener genius

sodium percarbonate makes h2o2 in h2o
Link Posted: 11/14/2018 1:25:18 PM EDT
[#8]
Quoted:
I did a bit of research on this topic when we had to buy a new washer, and the clothes were not clean/fresh smelling with basic Tide.

As I remember, STPP will destroy the seals in your washer.

True or false?
View Quote
false
Link Posted: 11/14/2018 1:25:57 PM EDT
[#9]
Quoted:
how much TSP to use in a load? 1 cup?

can it mess up colors or for whites only?
View Quote
yeah 1 cup and report back with pics
Link Posted: 11/14/2018 1:27:39 PM EDT
[#10]
Quoted:
Searched on Amazon Prime for it. Dap makes it, and they market it as a mold cleaner for drywall. Go figure
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
link to where u bought it
Searched on Amazon Prime for it. Dap makes it, and they market it as a mold cleaner for drywall. Go figure
ACE hardware sells it....
Link Posted: 11/14/2018 1:28:18 PM EDT
[#11]
I used TSP to clean my wood sub-flooring before install cork tiles. Never heard of it being used to clean clothes.
Link Posted: 11/14/2018 1:29:19 PM EDT
[#12]
Quoted:
Well, shit.  I've been using TSP for years.  For laundry and in the diswasher.  Seems to work fine.  WTF..

https://mobileimages.lowes.com/product/converted/049542/049542106214.jpg
View Quote
I've been using this for years.

My laundry and dishes come out fantastic.

Zero ill-effects to my clothes.

In fact, they seem to wear better over time since using this product.
Link Posted: 11/14/2018 1:32:07 PM EDT
[#13]
Quoted:

I bought a case of it (special ordered, but only took a couple of days) at the Sherwin Williams paint store.  Make SURE you get genuine "trisodium phosphate."  The enviro-wienies have forced the sale of a useless product they label as "TSP"--which is the common name for the good stuff--that has the word "substitute" in tiny letters under it.  It's useless garbage.  It's also what SW stocks, so be sure to specify.

It's cheap--a one pound box is about $3.
View Quote
How much do you use for a load of laundry?

How long will 1lb last you?
Link Posted: 11/14/2018 1:38:16 PM EDT
[#14]
I use this from Amazon.
TSP

I put 2 teaspoons in with the liquid detergent for both clothes and dishes.

It will not remove all the stains in clothes.  Maybe I need to add more.
Dishes do look better with it.
Link Posted: 11/14/2018 2:03:47 PM EDT
[#15]
Link Posted: 11/14/2018 2:09:14 PM EDT
[#16]
Quoted:
....my wife kinda hinted that she might wanna try some dye-free garbage and I don't mean to sound like an internet tough guy but I made sure I shut that shit down immediately.
View Quote
You know what laundry soap needs? Dye. That makes complete sense.
Link Posted: 11/14/2018 2:18:02 PM EDT
[#17]
Make sure its pure Na5P3O10. Run it through a Nuclear Magnetic Resonance spectrometer first to make sure some hood rat didn't cut it. Get those at Harbor Freight.
Link Posted: 11/14/2018 2:47:10 PM EDT
[#18]
Quoted:
TSP is a great cleaner.  We use it for knocking the shine off of walls and for an overall surface prep.  You just wash the wall while wearing rubber gloves.  It's GREAT stuff for cleaning.  
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
I just ordered the proper tripolysulphate stuff on Amazon. I get the sinking feeling I’m going down in ARF history for this
TSP is a great cleaner.  We use it for knocking the shine off of walls and for an overall surface prep.  You just wash the wall while wearing rubber gloves.  It's GREAT stuff for cleaning.  
You will likely have to do at least a light rinse with clean water to make sure there is NO residue on th3e wall.

It will curdle new latex paint very quickly if not rinsed well enough.

It is still the ultimate surface cleaner before painting though.

Do NOT get it on wooden floors of any type.

It de-glosses very nicely and can turn some woods black if they have a high iron content in their pigments.
Link Posted: 11/14/2018 2:55:37 PM EDT
[#19]
I've been using the "wash your drawers" homemade soap for several years.   It seems to be completely hypoallergenic if anyone cares.  I used to get a rash from my gym shirts when they got sweaty, the homemade stuff never does that.

The trick is to pretreat stains.   Just dump on a little of the soap mix and let it sit.   I think the TSP is overkill.
Link Posted: 11/14/2018 4:22:22 PM EDT
[#20]
Quoted:

Not just white, nationalist white!
View Quote
It's OK to be white...
Link Posted: 11/14/2018 4:24:32 PM EDT
[#21]
Quoted:
What's wrong with using laundry detergent to wash my clothes? We have a new baby on the way, wifey is making me buy this expensive dye and fragrance free stuff
View Quote
What's wrong it's the good stuff had been taken out,so your paying the same for a less effective product. Ok is just adding the good stuff back in.
Link Posted: 11/14/2018 4:43:06 PM EDT
[#22]
Quoted:
I've been using the "wash your drawers" homemade soap for several years.   It seems to be completely hypoallergenic if anyone cares.  I used to get a rash from my gym shirts when they got sweaty, the homemade stuff never does that.

The trick is to pretreat stains.   Just dump on a little of the soap mix and let it sit.   I think the TSP is overkill.
View Quote
Overkill is the best kill
Link Posted: 11/23/2018 2:26:13 PM EDT
[#23]
I just ran a load of towels with about 1 tablespoon of TSP added.  It looks like a win.

Thanks GD and Elijah1!
Link Posted: 11/24/2018 1:11:32 PM EDT
[#24]
Quoted:
I just ran a load of towels with about 1 tablespoon of TSP added.  It looks like a win.

Thanks GD and Elijah1!
View Quote
I’ve been satisfied thus far.  Jeans and towels seem to be somewhat softer. Also, a nice oil stain came out of a pair of jeans that had been there for a bit.
Link Posted: 11/24/2018 1:48:39 PM EDT
[#25]
Quoted:
I've been satisfied thus far.  Jeans and towels seem to be somewhat softer. Also, a nice oil stain came out of a pair of jeans that had been there for a bit.
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

Thanks GD and Elijah1!
I've been satisfied thus far.  Jeans and towels seem to be somewhat softer. Also, a nice oil stain came out of a pair of jeans that had been there for a bit.
Yes, my towels came out noticeably softer than I am accustomed to.  We have very hard water in San Diego.

I opened the lid several times during the wash cycle.  The most obvious thing I noticed was that there were still some suds during the rinse phase.  I use Kirkland laundry detergent, which is pretty concentrated.  It does a decent job by itself but the TSP seems to have boosted it.

I'm looking forward to trying it on a load of clothing.
Link Posted: 11/24/2018 11:29:27 PM EDT
[#26]
Quoted:
Yes, my towels came out noticeably softer than I am accustomed to.  We have very hard water in San Diego.

I opened the lid several times during the wash cycle.  The most obvious thing I noticed was that there were still some suds during the rinse phase.  I use Kirkland laundry detergent, which is pretty concentrated.  It does a decent job by itself but the TSP seems to have boosted it.

View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:

Thanks GD and Elijah1!

I worry about the placebo effect, but stains especially ones that have failed to come clean in the past, seem to be a good indication of success.
Link Posted: 11/25/2018 1:09:53 AM EDT
[#27]
Quoted:
Wrong stuff.  You want the sodium tripolyphosphate variety.  Too much of trisodium will eat holes in your clothes, and when used in a dish washer will etch glass. STPP https://www.wisegeek.com/what-is-sodium-tripolyphosphate.htm
View Quote
This, you can get it on Amazon
Page / 3
Next Page Arrow Left
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top