Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Arrow Left Previous Page
Page / 2
Posted: 9/21/2018 9:59:46 AM EDT
The wife and I walked around Park City last weekend and saw several art galleries.  The ones with large prints of wildlife photography were really good (and $9,000!), but I just don't understand buying a painting of a pastel hot dog on 2'x2' canvas for $400.

We aren't the most sophisticated people, but there was just about zero appealing art between the 5 or so galleries we saw.  That means they are all trying to market to people with vastly different income and taste than me, which seems like a pretty poor method of selling a product.

Although, we did see a painting of a rainbow colored coyote with a wet fish in it's mouth below the moon.  That's pretty standard in any American's bathroom.
Link Posted: 9/21/2018 10:08:29 AM EDT
[#1]
I'm working on opening a new store, and most of my artwork has come from thrift stores. It's taken multiple visits, but I have collected a nice assortment of prints, paintings, and framed photographs.

My favorite is a canvas painting by Doug Byrd. He's a respected artist now, but I picked up a recreation of a Crusades book cover that he painted in the early 70's when he must have been a teenager. There's a penciled in note on the back stating it's full provenance.
Link Posted: 9/21/2018 10:27:56 AM EDT
[#2]
No, but have been given a few prints.
Link Posted: 9/21/2018 10:32:09 AM EDT
[#3]
My wife is an artist so her stuff goes on the wall.  My taxidermy fills the spaces between.
Link Posted: 9/21/2018 10:32:53 AM EDT
[#4]
I have a huge Murphy's Law poster and one of those Successories photos.
I hated the art they supplied.
Link Posted: 9/21/2018 10:35:05 AM EDT
[#5]
Our new CEO doesn't want anything hung on the walls. We can't even have a clock.
Link Posted: 9/21/2018 10:36:19 AM EDT
[#6]
I’ve always wanted this hanging in my house.

Attachment Attached File
Link Posted: 9/21/2018 10:38:26 AM EDT
[#7]
Don't worry about it.
Decorate your home the way you want, with the budget you can afford.

I can't afford original artwork.  So, the most recent artworks I have purchased have been framed prints of original artwork.

Tonight, in fact, I'm going to hang my latest acquisition, a framed print of "The Get Away Fox" 1939, by Horace Pippin.  Hell yeah, I'd love to have the original, but that ain't never gonna' happen.

I bought another framed print last year, a nice, high quality giclee print, "El Castillo", (Tulum), 1841 (IIRC), an illustration by Frederick Catherwood; an amazing piece of illustration work.  I have been to the Yucatan to see the Mayan ruins and I have been to Tulum, so I wanted this print.

ETA: Forgot to mention a painting I bought several years ago.  There is a company that actually produces copies of masterpieces scaled to a variety of different sizes.  They are produced in China (naturally), and are amazingly accurate!  I bought a 20 x 24 copy of van Gogh's "The Potato Eaters" for my dining room.  It's beautiful.  I think I spent about $250 total on that one (framed that one myself).
Link Posted: 9/21/2018 10:39:02 AM EDT
[#8]
Link Posted: 9/21/2018 10:39:06 AM EDT
[#9]
i have a picture of john wayne above the fireplace at home....my office is covered in drawings/crafts from my daughters with a few calvin and hobbes panels thrown in...
Link Posted: 9/21/2018 10:39:25 AM EDT
[#10]
We bought a few Wylands for our house many years back, before children.  Now we just frame prints of my photography.
Link Posted: 9/21/2018 10:40:15 AM EDT
[#11]
I have a few paintings from my older brother. A wolf, a bison, and my dog, plan on having him do more for north American game. I also have some rocks, ivory scrimshaw and wood carvings. I don't go looking for the stuff, it just pops out here and there.
Link Posted: 9/21/2018 10:40:25 AM EDT
[#12]
Yes.

A house with entirely blank walls is depressing.
Link Posted: 9/21/2018 10:41:51 AM EDT
[#13]
My dad has two paintings in his office that I would really like: some elk standing in brown grass on a wooded hill, and a young deer in a forest.  There is also a super faded photo of a chimpanzee smoking a cigarette at an office desk while wearing a suit and tie in the warehouse, probably been out there for forty years that I wouldn't mind having either.  I am a simple man.
Link Posted: 9/21/2018 10:44:54 AM EDT
[#14]
I still need to frame these:

Attachment Attached File
Link Posted: 9/21/2018 10:46:33 AM EDT
[#15]
Most of what "artists" call "Art" I don't find appealing or consider it outright junk.
Link Posted: 9/21/2018 10:47:52 AM EDT
[#16]
We’re insistent on having nothing but original art on our walls. We don’t go to galleries, though. We just randomly find cool stuff from good artists at reasonable prices.
Link Posted: 9/21/2018 10:52:00 AM EDT
[#17]
Discussion ForumsJump to Quoted PostQuote History
HKUSP9v1: Yes.
View Quote
I disagree, it's better that way.  I don't mind having a few up.  My wife is ridiculous though: strands of fiddly bits, around doodads, next to piles of nicknacks, trinkets, and sundry little treasures... and lights, everything has to sparkle or glow.  I hate the clearance shelves at craft stores.

She does do some pretty nice art pieces herself occasionally - I just don't know what I am going to do with these things for the next forty years.
Link Posted: 9/21/2018 10:54:38 AM EDT
[#18]
Link Posted: 9/21/2018 10:56:01 AM EDT
[#19]
I like photographs, technical drawings, and maps.

I have a large print of Operation Crossroads - Baker Shot printed on aluminum above my work bench. That’s about as artsy as I get.

Attachment Attached File
Link Posted: 9/21/2018 10:56:05 AM EDT
[#20]
The only "Nice" piece of art I've bought was a signed and numbered print when I was stationed in Newport Oregon, 1990. Paid about $300. Terry A Isaac Into the Mist, loved it at first sight.

Link Posted: 9/21/2018 10:57:15 AM EDT
[#21]
Most of the art in my home is Oil-on-canvas or Watercolors. I prefer landscapes or nature scenes. Some was inherited, but most was purchased and collected throughout my life while on vacation in France, Italy, and out West.

I also collect turned-wood bowls and vases. Mostly made from maple or alder burls, but I have some cherry pieces as well.

Initial purchase costs range from $200-$2500, depending on size and composition. I buy what I like.
Link Posted: 9/21/2018 10:57:43 AM EDT
[#22]
Quoted:
The wife and I walked around Park City last weekend and saw several art galleries.  The ones with large prints of wildlife photography were really good (and $9,000!), but I just don't understand buying a painting of a pastel hot dog on 2'x2' canvas for $400.

We aren't the most sophisticated people, but there was just about zero appealing art between the 5 or so galleries we saw.  That means they are all trying to market to people with vastly different income and taste than me, which seems like a pretty poor method of selling a product.

Although, we did see a painting of a rainbow colored coyote with a wet fish in it's mouth below the moon.  That's pretty standard in any American's bathroom.
View Quote
Yes I buy art. I like art and I like buying originals directly from the artist and I focus on Pittsburgh locals. I go with what catches my eye.
Link Posted: 9/21/2018 10:58:08 AM EDT
[#23]
I personally haven't purchased any 'quality' art pieces, but I have been given several thousands of dollars worth of limited edition signed aviation art prints.
Link Posted: 9/21/2018 10:58:57 AM EDT
[#24]
Quoted:
I’ve always wanted this hanging in my house.

Attachment Attached File
View Quote
awesome.  American taxpayer funded as for Toyota.
Link Posted: 9/21/2018 10:59:43 AM EDT
[#25]
I am going to get one for my Office.

I wish he had a M16A1
Link Posted: 9/21/2018 11:03:46 AM EDT
[#26]
Quoted:

View Quote
I try to make my own art for decorations. And lol at $400 for a 2x2 anything that isn't melted gold. Only thing I got $400 for was an 11 x 14 home portrait that took 3 months to finish.

ETA:

Link Posted: 9/21/2018 11:04:19 AM EDT
[#27]
Yeah sure, why wouldn't you?

I've paid to have stuff matted and framed as well as buying stuff. I get a lot of my pictures/prints/art from local thrift stores. I just picked up a series of commercial jets matted and framed that look like they were hand drawn and inked in.  They're frigging beautiful but not really my thing.  I think I might try and sell them on the eGh3y...
Link Posted: 9/21/2018 11:06:04 AM EDT
[#28]
Quoted:
I disagree, it's better that way.  I don't mind having a few up.  My wife is ridiculous though: strands of fiddly bits, around doodads, next to piles of nicknacks, trinkets, and sundry little treasures... and lights, everything has to sparkle or glow.  I hate the clearance shelves at craft stores.

She does do some pretty nice art pieces herself occasionally - I just don't know what I am going to do with these things for the next forty years.
View Quote View All Quotes
View All Quotes
Quoted:
HKUSP9v1: Yes.

I'm also more of a minimalist myself.  I hate clutter with a passion.

However, an entirely empty house feels just that; empty.  I like a few good paintings or photographs on the wall.
Link Posted: 9/21/2018 11:06:35 AM EDT
[#29]
Had I the financial ability, I would. I think art is an enriching, valuable part of life.
Link Posted: 9/21/2018 11:07:36 AM EDT
[#30]
I'm trying to get a four foot wide painting shipped in from LA right now.  

If you you really want art, you have to go to the secondary market.  Check Craigslist for local stuff and I prefer Liveauctioneers.com for actual auctions.  As always, fuck Ebay.

Galleries are solely for people and their image.  And by people, I mean the gallery, the artist, and the buyer.  The gallery markup is insane, and they all talk like it's normal and appropriate.  Never pay much for a print unless it's antique.

For ethnic flavor, look up Japanese woodprints (or wood block prints).  For only $100-300, you can find colorful, "original" 19th century works or earlier.

Don't forget that objects, when properly framed/boxed, can look like art.

And don't forget your Tay Tay painting.

Link Posted: 9/21/2018 11:08:14 AM EDT
[#31]
Hang a gun? Hang a skull up?

Start collecting cartridges.

Attachment Attached File

Attachment Attached File

Attachment Attached File
Link Posted: 9/21/2018 11:10:52 AM EDT
[#32]
I bought three matching desert paintings, oil on canvas, in Abu Dhabi. They were by some Iraqi guy at a souk very cheap.

The guy I bought them from was pretty cool. The topic of all his work was guys hanging out in the desert with camels and old rifles and campfires and stuff.

I had them in my office. Great conversation starters.
Link Posted: 9/21/2018 11:14:54 AM EDT
[#33]
Go to estate sales. The good ones post the inventory on line. We have bought original signed art. The oldest one is from the 1800s. Most is junk but we pick up several pieces every year.

Signed prints are abundant and go for great prices. Estate sales usually start on Thursday and end on Sunday and the prices go down each day. Never know what you will find.
Link Posted: 9/21/2018 11:17:07 AM EDT
[#34]
I bought these for my office after the remodel. Found the prints and frames separate. I know, probably doesn't hit the "art mark" in GD but I can't hang my rare Italian frescos in my office...

Attachment Attached File
Link Posted: 9/21/2018 11:17:37 AM EDT
[#35]
Quoted:

I am going to get one for my Office.

I wish he had a M16A1
View Quote
He’s a good guy. He gave me a great deal. He’s limited by what he has access to.
Link Posted: 9/21/2018 11:19:28 AM EDT
[#36]
I've accumulated a decent collection over the years from a variety of sources. If you see an original that you like and can afford, just buy it. It doesn't have to be expensive or from a known artist. All that matters is that you like it. It will give you pleasure for the rest of your life. After 10 years or so, you will have something you enjoy looking at on every wall.
Link Posted: 9/21/2018 11:24:00 AM EDT
[#37]
Quoted:
I bought these for my office after the remodel. Found the prints and frames separate. I know, probably doesn't hit the "art mark" in GD but I can't hang my rare Italian frescos in my office...

https://www.AR15.Com/media/mediaFiles/74443/MH_art-678286.JPG
View Quote
I've got some 50's style Great Smoky Mountains postcards framed in my living room, I found these guys when looking for larger versions: https://www.andersondesigngroupstore.com/
Link Posted: 9/21/2018 11:27:58 AM EDT
[#38]
I used to have some serialized and limited production art prints that were of the old west/native american variety. They had been put away for a while, when I took them out I realized I dont care for them any longer. Thought about selling them but they had pretty much almost no resale value. So they went in the garbage.

Apparently the bottom has fallen out of the art print market. Anything that can be mass produced despite being serialized is baked and done. Due to that I wont buy any limited edition prints any longer. You want original, one of a kind art. Most of it is beyond my means.

We are going to put a copy of this (not this big of course) in our dining room as its completely colonial style. I just finished doing the chair rail and wainscoting.

BTW, if you ever get a chance to see this painting in person I strongly recommend it. Its enormous and is amazing to behold.
Link Posted: 9/21/2018 11:29:10 AM EDT
[#39]
Yes, but nothing expensive

Pretty much just the canvas art you find at different stores in the area
Link Posted: 9/21/2018 11:29:32 AM EDT
[#40]
Quoted:
I used to have some serialized and limited production art prints that were of the old west/native american variety. They had been put away for a while, when I took them out I realized I dont care for them any longer. Thought about selling them but they had pretty much almost no resale value. So they went in the garbage.

Apparently the bottom has fallen out of the art print market. Anything that can be mass produced despite being serialized is baked and done. Due to that I wont buy any limited edition prints any longer. You want original, one of a kind art. Most of it is beyond my means.

We are going to put a copy of this (not this big of course) in our dining room as its completely colonial style. I just finished doing the chair rail and wainscoting.

https://www.theroamingboomers.com/wp-content/uploads/2013/07/Washington-Crossing-the-Delaware-Leutze.jpg

BTW, if you ever get a chance to see this painting in person I strongly recommend it. Its enormous and is amazing to behold.
View Quote
1:1 print?
Link Posted: 9/21/2018 11:30:42 AM EDT
[#41]
Quoted:

View Quote
Yeah, those classify as art in my book!  Are they period?
Link Posted: 9/21/2018 11:32:42 AM EDT
[#42]
Quoted:
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

https://www.theroamingboomers.com/wp-content/uploads/2013/07/Washington-Crossing-the-Delaware-Leutze.jpg

Would need a very large house for that ;)  and that isnt ours.

As a interesting sidenote the colonial army was encamped on my street during the Revolution. People regularly find all kinds of stuff in their yard - musket balls, buttons, all kinds of things.
Link Posted: 9/21/2018 11:33:58 AM EDT
[#43]
Quoted:

I try to make my own art for decorations. And lol at $400 for a 2x2 anything that isn't melted gold. Only thing I got $400 for was an 11 x 14 home portrait that took 3 months to finish.

ETA:

https://uniim1.shutterfly.com/ng/services/mediarender/THISLIFE/021024940703/media/124112550097/large/1537542256582/enhance
View Quote
I was gonna make a crack that you attended the A. Hitler School of Bohemian Art but that's actually not bad!
Link Posted: 9/21/2018 11:35:53 AM EDT
[#44]
Art is very subjective. Find something that "speaks to you" and hang it on the wall. Then you can call anything "art".

Accountant
Link Posted: 9/21/2018 11:35:59 AM EDT
[#45]
Quoted:

View Quote
I like poster art.

Attachment Attached File
Link Posted: 9/21/2018 11:38:44 AM EDT
[#46]
View Quote
Link Posted: 9/21/2018 11:40:55 AM EDT
[#47]
I've got some higher quality prints and some original art. Some I've done myself.

It's not hard to find good quality art for a decent price. There are many artists out there who do nice work and sell it directly (so you aren't paying their gallery half the asking price). "Decent price" is a matter of opinion... I would say that $1.50 or $2 for each square inch is quite cheap for an original oil or acrylic painting. (Paintings on paper—like watercolor or mixed media—often sell for less than a comparable-sized painting in oil or acrylic.)
Link Posted: 9/21/2018 11:45:13 AM EDT
[#48]
Quoted:

View Quote
I doubt there ever was much of a secondary market for prints. I think that's just something the galleries say. Very few pieces of art appreciate in value. They will almost always be either originals purchased on the cheap before an artist became famous or originals from a famous artist after he dies. I think the internet has just allowed people to really understand how limited the secondary market for art is. Back in the day, if the gallery told you the print (or original for that matter) would appreciate, you had no way to check without trying to sell it. Now, it's easy to check.
Link Posted: 9/21/2018 11:52:41 AM EDT
[#49]
Yes.
I have an Ansel Adams photo in my office along with an oil painting that I could probably trade for a pair of nice ARs if I ever got tired of it.
Link Posted: 9/21/2018 11:54:34 AM EDT
[#50]
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

I like poster art.

https://www.AR15.Com/media/mediaFiles/401505/20180921_112056-678298.JPG
Do I spy a small repro of Hokusai's "The Great Wave?"  (Originals of that one sell for tens if not hundreds of thousands)

I have a few original Hokusais.  Do note that by "original" print, it means hundreds of them were made.  

Arrow Left Previous Page
Page / 2
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top