Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Page / 2
Next Page Arrow Left
Link Posted: 9/21/2018 11:56:15 AM EDT
[#1]
I have one original Ansel Adams print, one Edward Weston print, some oils of old oil well scenes and some framed prints of the drawings from my Grandfather's patents.

Other than that it's skulls, antlers, and stuff like that.
Link Posted: 9/21/2018 11:59:30 AM EDT
[#2]
My wife buys art from street vendors when we travel abroad. I have canvas prints made of pictures I take
Link Posted: 9/21/2018 12:02:53 PM EDT
[#3]
Discussion ForumsJump to Quoted PostQuote History
Quoted:
Do I spy a small repro of Hokusai's "The Great Wave?"  (Originals of that one sell for tens if not hundreds of thousands)

I have a few original Hokusais.  Do note that by "original" print, it means hundreds of them were made.  

https://imageshack.com/a/img909/7966/LSSDMk.jpg
View Quote View All Quotes
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:
I bought these for my office after the remodel. Found the prints and frames separate. I know, probably doesn't hit the "art mark" in GD but I can't hang my rare Italian frescos in my office...

https://www.AR15.Com/media/mediaFiles/74443/MH_art-678286.JPG
I like poster art.

https://www.AR15.Com/media/mediaFiles/401505/20180921_112056-678298.JPG
Do I spy a small repro of Hokusai's "The Great Wave?"  (Originals of that one sell for tens if not hundreds of thousands)

I have a few original Hokusais.  Do note that by "original" print, it means hundreds of them were made.  

https://imageshack.com/a/img909/7966/LSSDMk.jpg
Yes, it's a cheap repro. My mom gave it to me.

Your "original" print is really cool.
Link Posted: 9/21/2018 12:04:33 PM EDT
[#4]
Quoted:
I have one original Ansel Adams print, one Edward Weston print, some oils of old oil well scenes and some framed prints of the drawings from my Grandfather's patents.

Other than that it's skulls, antlers, and stuff like that.
View Quote
As in a print made by Ansel Adams himself? That would be bad-ass.
Link Posted: 9/21/2018 12:05:06 PM EDT
[#5]
Quoted:
My wife buys art from street vendors when we travel abroad. I have canvas prints made of pictures I take
View Quote
I have some of those too, but I have to hang them in my office because the wife doesn't think they are fit for her house.  I think big powerlines look great as art!
Link Posted: 9/21/2018 12:05:18 PM EDT
[#6]
Unless you consider hobby lobby art....than no....
Link Posted: 9/21/2018 12:20:39 PM EDT
[#7]
I never bought art, but I have acrylics of my own, and some art by my friend (a commercial artist I knew before I met my wife). Most of my walls are decorated with art obtained by my wife since she was pretty close to the ceramic artist community in San Francisco back in the 70s. Her cousin was a National Endowment Awardee, and our main piece is his.
Link Posted: 9/21/2018 12:22:29 PM EDT
[#8]
Yeah man, art is dope.

I've got some stuff hanging up in my music room by local artists, national artists, etc. Got a few more pieces that need to be hung up, but that'll have to wait a little bit. And I'm always on the prowl for more.
Link Posted: 9/21/2018 12:26:36 PM EDT
[#9]
These are in my music room.

A touch NSFW, hence the spoiler tags.

Click To View Spoiler

Click To View Spoiler

Not originals, but hand printed and hand numbered and signed by the artist.
Link Posted: 9/21/2018 12:30:34 PM EDT
[#10]
Odd that the artist for all those covers was heavily influenced by [arthistory]Russian Constructivism and Communist mural painting[/arthistory].

That's the problem with artists. So many of them are Commies.
Link Posted: 9/21/2018 12:40:12 PM EDT
[#11]
These are pictures I took of other things that just happen to show the walls too...

Computer room Anime wall scrolls.

Living room Space theme

So... posters... and such.  The only things over $100 on my walls would be the signed cast photos...  or maybe the genuine Saturn 5 F1 engine Blue print.
Link Posted: 9/21/2018 12:43:12 PM EDT
[#12]
I do have three signed and numbered litho's from Olivia De Berardinis and two Don Stivers, numbered lithos.
Link Posted: 9/21/2018 8:12:35 PM EDT
[#13]
I make mine.
Link Posted: 9/21/2018 8:42:13 PM EDT
[#14]
I have a few life accomplishments I want to achieve, then I told myself I'd get myself a peter lik photo. (I types this line out 3 different ways. None of them sound right I don't care what the price is, seeing his shots of the Caribbean take me back to every vacation I've had there. I know it's got something to do with the paper he uses. I've been to his galleries before and it's the only art I've ever actually wanted to own.

Other than that, I've got a couple landscape oil paintings I picked up at various art shows at tourist traps.
Link Posted: 9/21/2018 9:04:15 PM EDT
[#15]
Always liked this one.

Link Posted: 9/21/2018 9:06:47 PM EDT
[#16]
Quoted:

He’s a good guy. He gave me a great deal. He’s limited by what he has access to.
View Quote
I spoke to him a few years ago about it. Now I need to decide on what to get
Link Posted: 9/21/2018 9:20:02 PM EDT
[#17]
I've been wanting to purchase a print of Washington crossing the Delaware, but I don't have an ideal location to put it.
Link Posted: 9/21/2018 9:50:14 PM EDT
[#18]
I have a painting that has been in the Louvre in Paris.  We bought it across the street from the museum right before we went in to get some culture.  Cost 20 Euros.  I was surprised that the guards didn't care.

ETA I bought a small poster at Wall Drugs up in South Dakota for $7.00.  Shows the location of the different native American tribes in the US.  For my Christmas present, the woman of the house took it to a shop to have it mounted and framed. It looks really nice, however she still won't tell me what it cost.
Link Posted: 9/21/2018 10:12:46 PM EDT
[#19]
I really wish I could buy this. I saw the piece from the Cantor Collection locally, it was a traveling exhibit of Rodin works. I just love it.

http://www.musee-rodin.fr/en/collections/sculptures/call-arms

The Call To Arms

Link Posted: 9/21/2018 10:54:05 PM EDT
[#20]
Quoted:
I really wish I could buy this. I saw the piece from the Cantor Collection locally, it was a traveling exhibit of Rodin works. I just love it.

http://www.musee-rodin.fr/en/collections/sculptures/call-arms

The Call To Arms

https://www.AR15.Com/media/mediaFiles/123512/The_Call_of_Arms-678995.jpg
View Quote
Somebody here must have The Dying Gaul in their den.
Link Posted: 9/21/2018 10:59:25 PM EDT
[#21]
I’ve got a bunch that are $250-1500 but nothing real fancy. Some that cost more to frame than the pieces themselves.
Link Posted: 9/21/2018 11:03:04 PM EDT
[#22]
No, I let my wife do that.

It makes her happy and I only have to pay for half.
Link Posted: 9/21/2018 11:05:48 PM EDT
[#23]
Wife likes to get prints of the places we travel. Few antique maps, some family stuff, few Audubon prints,
Link Posted: 9/21/2018 11:15:01 PM EDT
[#24]
I have quite a bit of original art hung up. Oils, watercolor, some marble sculpture, misc media.

Some of it is my mom's work. She was an oil painter.

Also some prints.

Charity auctions are a great way to get nice work for a very reasonable price.
Link Posted: 9/21/2018 11:19:35 PM EDT
[#25]
I'm not an artistic person, but I have been to a few touristy type galleries. I found one near CO Springs where they had scenic prints by a guy named Paul Hanke. Some pretty neat photos, and affordable. You will never see me in some fancy gallery with abstract type prints you have to "interpret." Those people are fruitcakes.

I also have a decent Nikon and some good glass, I've taken a few photos of my ARs I plan to hang in my gun room someday. No time to take it seriously at the moment.
Link Posted: 9/21/2018 11:51:19 PM EDT
[#26]
Link Posted: 9/21/2018 11:54:36 PM EDT
[#27]
Link Posted: 9/22/2018 12:03:55 AM EDT
[#28]
That looks like someone I know....
Link Posted: 9/22/2018 3:59:08 AM EDT
[#29]
View Quote

WOW, Charles Reid! The others are good, but I am ignorant of the artists of those others. But I recognized the signature of Reid and was already a fan.
Link Posted: 9/22/2018 4:41:57 AM EDT
[#30]
I make my own art, either to keep for my own walls, or I sell it or trade it for art from other artists I dig.

Here’s an oil painting I just finished, for instance, that I think I’ll keep:

Attachment Attached File
Link Posted: 9/22/2018 3:54:30 PM EDT
[#31]
Quoted:

WOW, Charles Reid! The others are good, but I am ignorant of the artists of those others. But I recognized the signature of Reid and was already a fan.
View Quote
I got that for very little money at a charity auction for Scottsdale Artists' School. I wasn't familiar with his work at the time, but I knew that I liked it.

The next three are by James B. Hunt, then the two after that are by my mom, and the sculpture is by a friend of hers.
Link Posted: 9/22/2018 4:05:03 PM EDT
[#32]
Quoted:
I have a few life accomplishments I want to achieve, then I told myself I'd get myself a peter lik photo. (I types this line out 3 different ways. None of them sound right I don't care what the price is, seeing his shots of the Caribbean take me back to every vacation I've had there. I know it's got something to do with the paper he uses. I've been to his galleries before and it's the only art I've ever actually wanted to own.

Other than that, I've got a couple landscape oil paintings I picked up at various art shows at tourist traps.
View Quote
Peter  Liks sell on the secondary market pretty often for  a fraction of the gallery price.
Link Posted: 9/22/2018 4:11:24 PM EDT
[#33]
These tiny ones sitting on my mantle are by Suzanne M. Falk. I'd love one of her big pieces, but they are out of my price range.

Link Posted: 9/22/2018 4:14:27 PM EDT
[#34]
I have several special dry erase boards in my office...so...I don't have much.  I do have a 1600th century map of the world printed on a piece of 3ft x 2ft leather which is sweet.  Constitution, DOI, BOR in frames.  da Vinci drawing of man.

And of course several photos of doggos.
Link Posted: 9/22/2018 4:59:04 PM EDT
[#35]
Yeah I have some art. Didn't spend a ton though. Maybe a few hundred tops for a painting. But yeah it's nice to put something on the walls to class up the place.
Link Posted: 9/22/2018 5:03:58 PM EDT
[#36]
Don't go to a gallery. Galleries are for cattle auctioneers and insecure new money who want art certified aesthetically acceptable by an outsider.
Link Posted: 9/22/2018 5:09:52 PM EDT
[#37]
We have a few from a guy who does large format photography.  I think the biggest one was a little over a grand including the frame.  I wanna say it's 36x28

He has some panoramas that I think are 72x36 that are a few thousand.  We thought about buying one for our last house but never pulled the trigger.

I actually just picked up a picture my wife bought that she had framed today.

Nothing we have would be considered fine art.
Link Posted: 9/22/2018 5:15:54 PM EDT
[#38]
Link Posted: 9/22/2018 5:18:44 PM EDT
[#39]
Link Posted: 9/22/2018 5:25:48 PM EDT
[#40]
wasn't there a guy on here that traced and painted silhouettes of his guns?
Link Posted: 9/22/2018 5:27:45 PM EDT
[#41]
Link Posted: 9/22/2018 5:27:48 PM EDT
[#42]
Quoted:
wasn't there a guy on here that traced and painted silhouettes of his guns?
View Quote
My wife did that and hung a frame around it.
Link Posted: 9/22/2018 5:36:11 PM EDT
[#43]
I have collected 5 or 6 of the cast resin statues of various figures & animals (elk, horses, cowboys, etc) that spoke to me at
various Friends of the NRA banquets, over the years.
Link Posted: 9/22/2018 5:42:37 PM EDT
[#44]
Pretty much just old photographs and daguerreotypes of the missus' ancestors, a couple photos of some of my family, a bunch of photos taken by the missus (her being a photographer and all,) a few old maps, and one painting.  Said solitary painting was painted by a former officer here, and depicts one of our city's sewerage and water board meter covers with a broken blue fleur de lis lying atop it in a puddle of blood, bleeding from several bullet holes, alongside some spent 7.62X39mm brass.  It is titled "Fleur Debris."
Link Posted: 9/22/2018 5:53:20 PM EDT
[#45]
Quoted:
I do not buy art. I happen to share a home with a world class artist.

https://www.AR15.Com/media/mediaFiles/56693/18094676_1781851695464349_7668509994991484928_n-279008.jpg
View Quote
Yeah, your wife's art is pretty sick!
Page / 2
Next Page Arrow Left
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top