Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Site Notices
Posted: 3/21/2022 7:39:28 AM EDT
https://www.yahoo.com/news/state-media-report-crash-chinese-082919657.html

Looks like it went down pretty quick. Any initial thoughts?
Link Posted: 3/21/2022 10:36:27 AM EDT
[#1]
I read the WSJ article on the subject, which said in part:

The jet, which first flew in June 2015, was traveling at 457 knots, or 526 miles an hour, at an altitude of 29,100 feet at 2:19 p.m. local time when it went into a steep decline, according to Flightradar24 tracking data. The jet, while maintaining its speed, plunged more than 25,000 feet in less than 3 minutes to an altitude of just 3,225 feet, where the tracking data ends, according to Flightradar24.
View Quote

WSJ Link--Paywall

We'll probably never know the real deal since it's China, but I'd love to hear some thoughts on how an airplane drops 25k feet in 3 minutes.  Did the wings come off?  Otherwise, it seems like you could glide a really long way with that much altitude.
Link Posted: 3/21/2022 10:50:39 AM EDT
[#2]
The video embedded in the linked Tweet was re-posted by the ASN Aviation Safety site, typically a very reliable aviation site. That said, I am always very wary of early video, reports, etc., that come to the surface in the aftermath of such events.

If (a big "IF") it is a legitimate video, it is one hell of a graphic demonstration how powerful the forces are on an aircraft when it is in a dive such as the one the China Eastern 737 was in. This appears to be either an upper or lower wing skin torn from the aircraft as it plunged down.

Link Posted: 3/21/2022 11:35:57 AM EDT
[#3]
Unless there was some catastrophic failure in the tail there had to be some pilot error involved here.  

Trim runaway easily dealt with.   Pitot tube icing or an AOA vane fail as well.  But you have to recognize and respond quickly and appropriately.    Which is why I saw there's gotta be some pilot error involved here.  Some sort of training issue.  Given it's China I'd say that's highly likely.
Link Posted: 3/21/2022 11:54:35 AM EDT
[#4]
I was wondering based on the extreme rate of decent if this was intentional?  I would figure if there was some sort of flight surface malfunction or instrumentation failure there would at least be some correction from the pilots.  I understand there could have been a catastrophic failure, but was just a thought.  If it was an intentional act I doubt we would even know due to China and all.
Link Posted: 3/21/2022 12:23:33 PM EDT
[#5]
Thread going in GD on it but will have the usual shenanigans.

https://www.ar15.com/forums/general/BREAKING-China-Eastern-Airlines-plane-carrying-133-people-crashes-in-southern-China/5-2539726/

Problems at cruise altitude are rare, so gut feel is something nefarious.   Either a hijacking / bombing, or maybe sabotage of some sort.     At altitude the stresses on the plane and engines aren't like they are during take off and climb out so odd for it to be clipping along at 29,000 feet and then have a catastrophic structural issue.  As others mentioned, other problems like losing an engine or run away trim should be able to be quickly diagnosed and recovered from.
Link Posted: 3/21/2022 1:25:53 PM EDT
[#6]
Here is My gut feeling - do aircraft crash in a perfectly vertical dive without some "assistance"?
Link Posted: 3/21/2022 2:57:12 PM EDT
[#7]
Discussion ForumsJump to Quoted PostQuote History
Quoted:
Here is My gut feeling - do aircraft crash in a perfectly vertical dive without some "assistance"?
View Quote

Exactamundo.

Suicidal assistance, or hijacker assistance, or bomb/missile assistance, or just plain old poor airmanship assistance.

But...stranger things have happened. Boeing will get yet another raw deal out of this regardless.
Link Posted: 3/21/2022 3:21:26 PM EDT
[#8]
Maybe the tail wing fell off, Its happened before maintenance crew doesn't reinstall 'the cotter pin' or mmissin bolts / nuts.  Another one, where the cargo in the back of the plane, sheered off the hydraulic line when it shifted on a DC10 pushing the  wing in one very wrong direction and  making it impossible to correct from the cockpit.
Link Posted: 3/21/2022 3:30:49 PM EDT
[#9]
Quoted:

Exactamundo.

Suicidal assistance, or hijacker assistance, or bomb/missile assistance, or just plain old poor airmanship assistance.

But...stranger things have happened. Boeing will get yet another raw deal out of this regardless.
View Quote View All Quotes
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

Exactamundo.

IIRC the Jackscrew assembly issue with MD83's was HUGE . like half dozen crashes.

basically the elevator would only go down and cause the nose to pitch HARD  70 degrees nose down. Im not a pilot nor did i stay at a holiday inn express this year but that isnt a "flying" type alignment...
Link Posted: 3/21/2022 4:49:44 PM EDT
[#10]
I already posted my thoughts in the other thread. Some didn’t appreciate them.  I’ll add this one. There are 7 different main dialects and some 300 total in China. How many dialects are the maintenance manuals printed in?

Boeing will get the blame.
Link Posted: 3/21/2022 5:11:39 PM EDT
[#11]
Quoted:
Maybe the tail wing fell off, Its happened before maintenance crew doesn't reinstall 'the cotter pin' or mmissin bolts / nuts.  Another one, where the cargo in the back of the plane, sheered off the hydraulic line when it shifted on a DC10 pushing the  wing in one very wrong direction and  making it impossible to correct from the cockpit.
View Quote
Thanks, I have a headache from reading this.
Link Posted: 3/21/2022 5:24:03 PM EDT
[#12]
Quoted:
Thread going in GD on it but will have the usual shenanigans.

https://www.ar15.com/forums/general/BREAKING-China-Eastern-Airlines-plane-carrying-133-people-crashes-in-southern-China/5-2539726/

Problems at cruise altitude are rare, so gut feel is something nefarious.   Either a hijacking / bombing, or maybe sabotage of some sort.     At altitude the stresses on the plane and engines aren't like they are during take off and climb out so odd for it to be clipping along at 29,000 feet and then have a catastrophic structural issue.  As others mentioned, other problems like losing an engine or run away trim should be able to be quickly diagnosed and recovered from.
View Quote

This! Avionics technician here on 737-100's thru Max, either pilot did this intentionally or hijack.  
But after 9/11 we reinforced the cockpit door, you can't get in it, Period!
Link Posted: 3/21/2022 5:33:03 PM EDT
[#13]
If the video I just saw (it was Instagram so no linky) is actually of the event the aircraft went in at pretty much 90 degree angle and appeared intact. The video quality wasn't great, a fixed CCTV but I don't see how it would be intentional if true.
Link Posted: 3/21/2022 5:39:47 PM EDT
[#14]
Link Posted: 3/21/2022 5:39:58 PM EDT
[#15]
Quoted:
I read the WSJ article on the subject, which said in part:

WSJ Link--Paywall

We'll probably never know the real deal since it's China, but I'd love to hear some thoughts on how an airplane drops 25k feet in 3 minutes.  Did the wings come off?  Otherwise, it seems like you could glide a really long way with that much altitude.
View Quote

The pilot points the nose at the ground and firewalls the throttle?
Link Posted: 3/21/2022 5:53:46 PM EDT
[#16]

That would be the video.
Link Posted: 3/21/2022 6:53:27 PM EDT
[#17]
Link Posted: 3/21/2022 9:05:06 PM EDT
[#18]
Quoted:

Was just reposting another in case then other didn’t work like it didn’t for me.  May have been a mobile issue for me.
View Quote

Glad you got it to post. I couldn't because you needed to login fron the source. It's gnarly.

Cheers!
Link Posted: 4/21/2022 7:28:18 PM EDT
[#19]
A lot of Chinese pilots used to train at my local airport. Prior to Covid they had so many Chines trainees they bought a hotel to house them. They flew a lot of Diamond-air planes and got a basic multi rating and instrument and went home to become big jet pilots with less hours than any American airline would ever consider.  No turbine time either.  They had at least one fatal crash running into another plane and an uncontrolled airfield during landing
Link Posted: 4/22/2022 8:31:40 PM EDT
[#20]
32,000 hour senior captain reduced to a first officer.

This is your story. We may never be told the truth due to face saving.
Link Posted: 4/23/2022 2:55:18 PM EDT
[#21]
Quoted:
32,000 hour senior captain reduced to a first officer.

This is your story. We may never be told the truth due to face saving.
View Quote

That'd be enough to make lots of pilots commit suicide.
Link Posted: 5/4/2022 3:06:35 PM EDT
[#22]
Quoted:

That'd be enough to make lots of pilots commit suicide.
View Quote

Only Delta and Fedex guys.

Because of douchebaggery.  Because they believe the "I fly with my favorite captain everyday!" horseshit.

Anyone else would enjoy their days off and fucking read from the Gospel of Elrey Jeppesen when someone says "approach checklist."

Anyone who says "I fly with my favorite captain everyday!" should go back to the C-17, where they belong.
Link Posted: 5/17/2022 2:48:59 PM EDT
[#23]
As many here suspected.

NY Post - Black box on doomed China Eastern flight indicates crash was intentional: report
17-May-2022
The China Eastern jet crash that killed 132 people when the craft slammed into a mountainside appears to have been an intentional act, according to a report Tuesday.

Flight data from the doomed plane suggests someone in the cockpit pushed the Boeing 737-800 into a "near-vertical" descent while cruising at a high altitude in late March, the Wall Street Journal reported, citing sources familiar with US officials' preliminary assessment.

Data from a black box recovered at the crash site near the city of Wuzhou in the southern province of Guangxi indicated that controls in the cockpit led the plane into its deadly dive, sources told the newspaper.

"The plane did what it was told to do by someone in the cockpit," one source close to the matter told the Wall Street Journal.

*** COMPLETE STORY LINKED AT TITLE ***
View Quote

Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top