Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Site Notices
Posted: 5/19/2024 1:14:05 PM EDT
[Last Edit: raf]
Currently running 3 MOHU Leaf TV antennas.  I know that an external antenna would fetch more signals, but at $300 all-up, and most of the added channels being crap or duplicates, going with what I've got for now.  Especially after the upgrade.

Upgrade consists of a sheet of stainless-steel mesh (my particular mesh is about 6 "squares" per inch).  Cut to be slightly larger than the Leaf antenna and uses same hooks that secure the antenna to the plastic window.  Emplaced behind the Leaf antenna which is pointed in the "correct" direction for optimal signal reception.  It's a "signal reflector" and appears to work.  Downstairs TV went from 16 channels to 21.  Upstairs TV (higher antenna position) gained even more channels.  Important to note that none of the window-mounted Leaf antennas are behind a window-mounted metal insect screen.  

While the "newly" added channels badly pixelate and are mostly unusable, the "stronger" channels now exhibit almost zero pixelation regardless of the weather.  A significant improvement for almost zero cost and a few minutes of time.

I was using "correct" RG-6 cable to connect antennas.  Doubt it's the preferred "Quad-Shielded" RG6, but the cables were on-hand. Also discovered that the supplied pre-amps are best connected as near the antenna as possible.  I'll be revamping that.

Another thing I discovered is that nearby cell phone towers can sometimes cause problems with Over-the-Air (OTA) TV reception, so I bought some LTE filters which greatly reduce such 4G/5G interference.  Will report back when received.  Such filters are best emplaced "upstream" of any pre-amplifiers.  Nearest cell tower to me is about 1/4 mile away, and almost directly in line with all TV antennas I want to access.  Hoping for still more improvement but will send them back if none found.

So, just a tiny, but significant "win" in the "Cable-Cutting" war.

AntennaWeb.org   For maps of local TV antennas, so one can aim one's TV antenna, and gauge distances to the antennae.

Antenna Man  On YouTube for most any TV antenna question.  Make use of his "Search" function for specific questions.  He occasionally has "sponsored" submissions, and says so, but I believe he is very selective regarding his sponsors.

Link Posted: 5/19/2024 2:22:08 PM EDT
[#1]
Could you post a pic?
Also, distance, obstructions, etc.
Great post- thanks!
Link Posted: 5/19/2024 5:10:11 PM EDT
[Last Edit: raf] [#2]
Discussion ForumsJump to Quoted PostQuote History
Originally Posted By PyrPaw:
Could you post a pic?
Also, distance, obstructions, etc.
Great post- thanks!
View Quote
No pix: just imagine a rectangle of screen/mesh just a tinch bigger than Mohu Leaf antenna, secured behind the flat antenna.

I'm at sea level, and obstructions/distances to TV antennas vary.  Boston stations are about 50 miles, which Mohu Leaf antenna is not likely to reliably receive.  Other antennas are closer, so that's what I'm trying to reliably access.  So far, so good.

There is a cell tower about 1/4 mile away almost directly in-line between my antennas and TV broadcast towers.  Plenty more cell towers hereabouts.
Link Posted: 5/21/2024 7:44:42 AM EDT
[Last Edit: raf] [#3]
ETA 1:  Added "Silicon Dust" brand (from Amazon) LTE filter to each TV.  I was shocked to see number of available channels triple with LTE filters installed.  Formerly unobtainable TV channels now coming in clear as can be.  Unfortunately, the 3 closest and strongest channels now pixelate.  Since "SD" LTE filters were made to 2020 specs, will replace/return them and use similarly priced "Channel Master" LTE filters (Amazon) which are made to 2023 specs.  Hopefully this will improve things.  Will report.
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top