BCM
User Panel

Site Notices
Page / 5
Link Posted: 5/25/2023 10:23:56 PM EDT
[#1]
Discussion ForumsJump to Quoted PostQuote History
Quoted:
Wouldn’t that mean that it already happens like 650 years ago and we just haven’t seen it yet?
View Quote

It could mean that it happened last week and our great great great great great grandchildren will die before the event is visible.  We are trying to make assumptions and calculations for time lines measured in millions of years, based on the observations of a few thousand years.  There's bound to be a few miscalculations here and there.
Link Posted: 5/25/2023 10:26:58 PM EDT
[#2]
I saw Halley's Comet in 1986.  I found it underwhelming.  Hale-Bopp in 1997 was pretty cool.
Link Posted: 5/25/2023 10:27:15 PM EDT
[#3]
My cat was named after that star.

My other two cats are Rigel and Bellatrix.
Link Posted: 5/25/2023 10:27:36 PM EDT
[#4]

E.  All of the above.
Link Posted: 5/25/2023 10:28:43 PM EDT
[#5]
nvm beat
Link Posted: 5/25/2023 10:30:36 PM EDT
[#6]
Quoted:
If it is 700 light years away, wouldn't that mean if this event happens that it actually has already happened but what we actually see is delayed by 700 years ? So this fucker might have already gone supernova and we don't even know it?
View Quote

Indeed it does.
Link Posted: 5/25/2023 10:32:23 PM EDT
[#7]
Welp, get ready for the Betelgeusean migrants.
Link Posted: 5/25/2023 10:35:55 PM EDT
[#8]
Space has been around for 100s of years but scientists still don’t know much about it
Link Posted: 5/25/2023 10:37:03 PM EDT
[#9]
Quoted:

Nah, when it goes super nova the light travels super fast. We see it almost instantly.
View Quote View All Quotes
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
If it is 700 light years away, wouldn't that mean if this event happens that it actually has already happened but what we actually see is delayed by 700 years ? So this fucker might have already gone supernova and we don't even know it?

Nah, when it goes super nova the light travels super fast. We see it almost instantly.

Username fits.

Link Posted: 5/25/2023 10:38:18 PM EDT
[#10]
Quoted:
I saw Halley's Comet in 1986.  I found it underwhelming.  Hale-Bopp in 1997 was pretty cool.
View Quote

Link Posted: 5/25/2023 10:50:43 PM EDT
[#11]

Odds are it already had some type of nova event (short of supernova) and is now super flaring in the aftermath.

https://www.space.com/40277-proxima-centauri-superflare-habitable-planet.html

Link Posted: 5/25/2023 10:56:16 PM EDT
[#12]
Or not.
Fuck Joe Biden.
Link Posted: 5/25/2023 11:02:08 PM EDT
[#13]
So, wouldn’t it have already happened, the light just hasn’t reached us yet?
Link Posted: 5/25/2023 11:06:07 PM EDT
[#14]
Quoted:
View Quote

We weren't in a good position this past time for Halley.  Hale-Bopp was awesome.
Link Posted: 5/25/2023 11:12:00 PM EDT
[#15]
Quoted:

We weren't in a good position this past time for Halley.  Hale-Bopp was awesome.
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

I was on an FTX at Camp Blanding when Hale-Bopp was around.  We were issued NODS for some night manuvers.  

Man, seeing Hale-Bopp through the NODS was incredible.  It was an awesome site naked eye, but with image enhancement, the tail stretched all the way across the sky.
Link Posted: 5/25/2023 11:18:29 PM EDT
[#16]
Quoted:If it did go supernova, this will be the first "close" star to go supernova since the the star that created the Crab Nebula went supernova in 1054.  That supernova was so bright, it was stated that it shined during the day and was many times brighter than the full moon at night.  By "close", Betelgeuse is around 700 light years away, so it is far enough to not be a danger, but close enough to greatly outshine our moon if it ever does go Supernova.  
View Quote

1054 and that supernova led to what again?  Remember your history ... it shone for 23 days and was seen all over the world.

Leo the IX croaked and that led-to ...

The Great Schism

... because that Super Nova was a sign.

It changed future history dramatically.

Not only that but William the Conqueror had his first vision in 1054, after seeing that super nova, which motivated him to eventually lead the Norman Conquest 12 years later.

Let's hope there is equal shtf if Betelgeuse blows in our lifetime.  I've been following it pretty closely since it dimmed.  I fully expect it to be visible in my lifetime and I don't have that many years remaining.

What will be interesting is if it goes supernova and/or turns neutron or black hole (like M101 did yesterday) and it starts spewing jets in our direction.
Link Posted: 5/25/2023 11:21:40 PM EDT
[#17]
Quoted:
My man Anton doesn't seem to know what's going on with it.
View Quote
"Hello wonderful person".

Nick
Link Posted: 5/25/2023 11:24:49 PM EDT
[#18]
I hope it happens soon. So far all of the supposed awesome objects in space have been tiny specks. I want to see something cool.

Link Posted: 5/25/2023 11:31:24 PM EDT
[#19]
Quoted:
I hope it happens soon. So far all of the supposed awesome objects in space have been tiny specks. I want to see something cool.

View Quote

With the right equipment, the Universe is a pretty awesome place.  Here's just a couple images I took over the years.

Pillars-of-Creation_small by Colo CJ, on Flickr

HorseHead-Final-Small by Colo CJ, on Flickr

Cygnus-Wall-Small by Colo CJ, on Flickr

M51 1.9 hrs small by Colo CJ, on Flickr

M81-RASA-Mono-Small by Colo CJ, on Flickr
Link Posted: 5/25/2023 11:33:27 PM EDT
[#20]
Quoted:
Stick to economics prof.
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

Stick to economics prof.

Link Posted: 5/25/2023 11:53:23 PM EDT
[#21]
your laughable decades mean nothing to that star.  it's thousands of years away from ending
Link Posted: 5/25/2023 11:55:21 PM EDT
[#22]

Oh, I know. I follow all of your threads. I mean with the human eye, most supposed events have been disappointing at best. You and the other arfcommers like you are awesome.
Link Posted: 5/26/2023 12:02:17 AM EDT
[#23]
Quoted:
your laughable decades mean nothing to that star.  it's thousands of years away from ending
View Quote

Bullshit, it's very close and will kaboom in the blink of an eye.  That is hundreds of thousands of years in cosmic eye terms.  

A recent study came out that supernovas are more damaging than previously thought.  But Betelgeuse is still far enough away that the Earth should live.  Yay.
Link Posted: 5/26/2023 12:11:42 AM EDT
[#24]
Hoping for some July 4th fireworks.

I've heard "Battle Geese" is a closer pronunciation.
Link Posted: 5/26/2023 12:12:03 AM EDT
[#25]
Quoted:
Pardon my ignorance, but wouldn’t it have already gone supernova and we just have not seen it yet?  It would take 70 yrs for that light to get here?
View Quote

700 light years away = 700 years for the light to travel.
Link Posted: 5/26/2023 12:31:04 AM EDT
[#26]
Quoted:

I was on an FTX at Camp Blanding when Hale-Bopp was around.  We were issued NODS for some night manuvers.  

Man, seeing Hale-Bopp through the NODS was incredible.  It was an awesome site naked eye, but with image enhancement, the tail stretched all the way across the sky.
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:

That's awesome!

When people ask me my favorite thing about my time in the Army, I tell them it was looking up into the night sky through NVGs.
Link Posted: 5/26/2023 12:34:05 AM EDT
[#27]
Neat. Do they normally brighten and dim, or brighten until boom?
Link Posted: 5/26/2023 12:39:36 AM EDT
[#28]
Quoted:

View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

Don't tease the 'tards
Link Posted: 5/26/2023 12:46:10 AM EDT
[#29]
Quoted:

It could mean that it happened last week and our great great great great great grandchildren will die before the event is visible.  We are trying to make assumptions and calculations for time lines measured in millions of years, based on the observations of a few thousand years.  There's bound to be a few miscalculations here and there.
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
Wouldn’t that mean that it already happens like 650 years ago and we just haven’t seen it yet?

Not exactly.

We've only been able to make precise observations for a few thousand years, but we can see back in time by billions of years. So, actually, we have visibility over a much longer time period than the brief time humans have had telescopes.
Link Posted: 5/26/2023 12:52:37 AM EDT
[#30]
Quoted:
Or not.
Fuck Joe Biden.
View Quote

Attachment Attached File
Link Posted: 5/26/2023 1:12:01 AM EDT
[#32]
IMO 700 LY is too close for comfort.

If we're seeing the beginnings of star death, what kind of ejecta might be headed our way?  Flickering light is getting here now.

Suppose it went full nova 699 years ago and some sub-C(but not sub enough to be a problem for our great-great-grandchildren--it's OUR problem) materials, or refugees, start arriving in the TOO near future.

We could be doomed. That tic-tac might be a forward scout for the Visitors to come, heading our direction just looking for water.       And meat.

DOOM!

or we could have another 50,000,000 years to prepare.
Link Posted: 5/26/2023 1:20:08 AM EDT
[#33]
Quoted:
I was being sarcastic
View Quote

totally worth it too
Link Posted: 5/26/2023 1:25:19 AM EDT
[#34]
I'm worried about Ford Prefect's family
Link Posted: 5/26/2023 1:54:33 AM EDT
[#35]
Quoted:

It possibly could have went supernova back before Columbus sailed.  

1 light year = the distance light travels in one year.  So if it is 700 light years away, that light is already 700 years old once it reaches our eyes.
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
Pardon my ignorance, but wouldn’t it have already gone supernova and we just have not seen it yet?  It would take 70 yrs for that light to get here?

It possibly could have went supernova back before Columbus sailed.  

1 light year = the distance light travels in one year.  So if it is 700 light years away, that light is already 700 years old once it reaches our eyes.

Exactly. Time & distance are a thing. We don't have the front row for this show (thankfully).
Link Posted: 5/26/2023 2:01:56 AM EDT
[#36]
Quoted:

View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:

Did that with a comet a few years ago.

Attachment Attached File

Link Posted: 5/26/2023 2:08:35 AM EDT
[#37]
Quoted:
Beetlejuice
Beetlejuice
Beetlejuice
View Quote

dont summon that thing. let it sray in shitcago
Link Posted: 5/26/2023 2:11:39 AM EDT
[#38]
Funny thing is the light takes so long to get here, it could have already gone supernova and we may not know for a while.
Link Posted: 5/26/2023 2:22:28 AM EDT
[#39]
Quoted:

Don't tease the 'tards
View Quote

You're going to feel a bit retarded when you figure out what a light year means.  

If you had a telescope aimed right at it and saw it go boom, that didn't actually happen while you were watching. It took 700 years for the light you are seeing to get to us, it happened 700 years ago. When you are looking at stars in the sky, you are basically looking at a time machine of the past. When you look at that star, you're actually seeing what it looked like 700 years ago. It might have turned into a giant vagina right now but we wouldn't see that for 700 years.

Likewise if you were in your gay pink spaceship right next to it when it went supernova, it would take 700 years for anyone on earth to see that happen.

It's similar to the speed of sound, in that if you hear a gunshot two miles away, that person didn't pull the trigger right when you heard the shot. The sound has to travel to you. It had already happened about 10 seconds ago and it took that long for the sound to travel 2 miles.

Link Posted: 5/26/2023 2:58:59 AM EDT
[#40]
Quoted:
Space has been around for 100s of years but scientists still don’t know much about it
View Quote

It's a hard place to get to.
Link Posted: 5/26/2023 8:31:14 AM EDT
[#41]
Quoted:

That's awesome!

When people ask me my favorite thing about my time in the Army, I tell them it was looking up into the night sky through NVGs.
View Quote

Mine was watching two coyote's fucking thru PVS-7's
Link Posted: 5/26/2023 8:39:41 AM EDT
[#42]
Quoted:

With the right equipment, the Universe is a pretty awesome place.  Here's just a couple images I took over the years.

View Quote

As someone who has dipped their toes into astrophotography, this is really fantastic! Thanks for sharing.
Link Posted: 5/26/2023 8:41:43 AM EDT
[#43]
Link Posted: 5/26/2023 8:42:24 AM EDT
[#44]
Someone load up a truck and drive over to see if it's still there.
Link Posted: 5/26/2023 8:44:50 AM EDT
[#45]
Quoted:
View Quote

ROAD TRIP!
Link Posted: 5/26/2023 8:44:53 AM EDT
[#46]
Quoted:

View Quote

Yeah, and we can tax our way out of a recession, too.
Link Posted: 5/26/2023 9:14:45 AM EDT
[#47]
Quoted:
View Quote

Deep Purple - Space Truckin' (1972)
Link Posted: 5/26/2023 9:20:30 AM EDT
[#48]
So your suggesting that it is already gone?

As what we are seeing is actually what the star was doing during the crusades?

ETA I should try reading more.
Link Posted: 5/26/2023 9:39:16 AM EDT
[#49]
This is simply the beginning of the light from great collapsing Hrung disaster reaching us.
Link Posted: 5/26/2023 9:44:14 AM EDT
[#50]
It may have already started, c and all.
Page / 5
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top