Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Page / 5
Link Posted: 5/26/2023 10:10:41 AM EDT
[#2]
Discussion ForumsJump to Quoted PostQuote History
Quoted:
Is it?  I think it's the closest candidate for supernovae in our lifetime, but I think there are closer stars which have the necessary mass, just not as far along.
View Quote View All Quotes
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
Pretty interesting, it's the closest start of sufficient mass to go supernova.

And yes, there is a pretty good chance it already went boom and we just can't see it yet, due to distance and the speed of light.
Is it?  I think it's the closest candidate for supernovae in our lifetime, but I think there are closer stars which have the necessary mass, just not as far along.

@torf

You made me question myself and I went back and looked up the shit I read a while ago.

Looks like Betelgeuse is the closest star that is definitely above the mass limit for a type II supernova (the big booms). There are four stars closer (IK Pegasi, Spica, Alpha Lupi, and Antares) that are big enough for at least a Type I supernova, but since the mass needed for a Type 2 is uncertain (between 8 and 15 stellar masses), none of these are over the upper limit.

Link Posted: 5/26/2023 10:15:17 AM EDT
[#3]
Quoted:
Pardon my ignorance, but wouldn’t it have already gone supernova and we just have not seen it yet?  It would take 70 yrs for that light to get here?
View Quote

yes looking at the stars is looking into the past, even if you look up at our sun that is still seeing it how it looked over 8 minutes ago. Nothing in astronomy is realtime. Space is fucking huge
Link Posted: 5/26/2023 10:22:50 AM EDT
[#4]
Quoted:

Nah, when it goes super nova the light travels super fast. We see it almost instantly.
View Quote

What if, say, I believe, it's already...happened?
Link Posted: 5/26/2023 10:25:29 AM EDT
[#5]
Quoted:

Nah, when it goes super nova the light travels super fast. We see it almost instantly.
View Quote

That isn't how that works.
Link Posted: 5/26/2023 10:27:09 AM EDT
[#6]
Quoted:

The man is a professor...
View Quote

Clearly not of math or astrophysics.
Link Posted: 5/26/2023 10:29:03 AM EDT
[#7]
I have a place lined up for the April 8th 2024 toal solar in the area of totality.  Could you imagine if both were to occur at the same time?
Link Posted: 5/26/2023 10:38:35 AM EDT
[#8]
Quoted:
I have a place lined up for the April 8th 2024 toal solar in the area of totality.  Could you imagine if both were to occur at the same time?
View Quote

I have a place lined up, too.  It's my backyard.
Link Posted: 5/26/2023 10:43:01 AM EDT
[#9]
Quoted:

It's a hard place to get to.
View Quote

We need better maps
Link Posted: 5/26/2023 10:43:07 AM EDT
[#10]
are we taking bets on when she'll blow?  people thinking it'll happen any day now have no grasp on the odds of it happening "soon" (people time) vs cosmic time scales.  i'd like to take advantage of that
Link Posted: 5/26/2023 10:43:38 AM EDT
[#11]
Quoted:
I hope it happens soon. So far all of the supposed awesome objects in space have been tiny specks. I want to see something cool.

View Quote

Welp the video says another 10k years at a minimum so...
Link Posted: 5/26/2023 11:00:40 AM EDT
[#12]
Quoted:
If it is 700 light years away, wouldn't that mean if this event happens that it actually has already happened but what we actually see is delayed by 700 years ? So this fucker might have already gone supernova and we don't even know it?
View Quote
This +1000
Link Posted: 5/26/2023 11:40:29 AM EDT
[#13]
Quoted:

@torf

You made me question myself and I went back and looked up the shit I read a while ago.

Looks like Betelgeuse is the closest star that is definitely above the mass limit for a type II supernova (the big booms). There are four stars closer (IK Pegasi, Spica, Alpha Lupi, and Antares) that are big enough for at least a Type I supernova, but since the mass needed for a Type 2 is uncertain (between 8 and 15 stellar masses), none of these are over the upper limit.

View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:

And yes, there is a pretty good chance it already went boom and we just can't see it yet, due to distance and the speed of light.

@torf

Yes, Spica and Antares were two that I was thinking could also hit that magic threshold.  Reading about stellar evolution is a very interesting topic for me.  Part of the mystery is the great distances and timespans involved.  It makes measurements and data gathering difficult.
Link Posted: 5/26/2023 11:43:49 AM EDT
[#14]
Quoted:

What if, say, I believe, it's already...happened?
View Quote

I agree

I think it may have already popped.
Link Posted: 5/26/2023 11:45:52 AM EDT
[#15]
Quoted:
View Quote
I sure as hell hope not!

I prefer Betelgeuse to go supernova during the months of November through March, so it will be visible from the northern hemisphere at night.
Link Posted: 5/26/2023 11:50:42 AM EDT
[#16]
Quoted:

I have a place lined up, too.  It's my backyard.
View Quote

I watched the one in 17 from my yard. It was the coolest shit ever.

Shadows danced like snakes and warped crescents.

Birds freaked out.

And I babbled like a little kid as the full 100% totally and perfect weather entertained me. Attachment Attached File
Link Posted: 5/26/2023 11:54:25 AM EDT
[#17]
Quoted:
Pardon my ignorance, but wouldn’t it have already gone supernova and we just have not seen it yet?  It would take 70 yrs for that light to get here?
View Quote

Yes, but "21,000,000 lighyears away"  It likely already happened a long time ago.
Link Posted: 5/26/2023 11:57:40 AM EDT
[#18]
If it blows right this second it will take 642.5 years for humanity to see it.

None of us are going to be entertained.

Unless it blew up 643 years ago. Then we will get the show in 6 months.
Link Posted: 5/26/2023 11:57:56 AM EDT
[#19]
Didn't that happen when she lost her re-election bid?

Link Posted: 5/26/2023 12:24:12 PM EDT
[#20]
Quoted:

@torf

View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:

@torf

The mechanisms are different for a 1A & 1B (screw using Roman numerals with phone text.) vs 1c  (Wolf-Rayet stars)  and the various Type 2 candidates like Betelgeuse.  1A, there's a close orbiting star pair, one of them a white dwarf that steals stellar material from the other star.  More material, more heat and fusion, but it doesn't restart gradually, but rather all at once past a given mass threshold.

A star is a balance between a lot of fusion energy pushing the star outwards, and a lot of gravitational potential energy trying to pull everything together.  Run out of fusion, and everything rushes towards the core, really really fast.

Type 2s, the star runs out of stuff to burn---it takes more energy to fuse iron56 than you get when you do---the mass of the star slams towards the center, big badaboom, and some of the energy from which creates elements like gold and uranium.  The rest comes off as a really bright light and a staggering number of neutrinos.

Betelguese is actually thought to not be exploding anytime soon---though the theories keep changing with more data---and when it does go boom!, it'll be something like -8 to -10 magnitude.  Pushing Full Moon brightness for a few.months, IIRC.  Brighter than the Crab Nebula boom, because Betelgeuse is a whole lot closer.  

No GRB (at us) is expected.  Contrast with the Pinwheel Star, WR-104...
Link Posted: 5/26/2023 12:48:30 PM EDT
[#21]
Quoted:

You're going to feel a bit retarded when you figure out what a light year means.  

If you had a telescope aimed right at it and saw it go boom, that didn't actually happen while you were watching. It took 700 years for the light you are seeing to get to us, it happened 700 years ago. When you are looking at stars in the sky, you are basically looking at a time machine of the past. When you look at that star, you're actually seeing what it looked like 700 years ago. It might have turned into a giant vagina right now but we wouldn't see that for 700 years.

Likewise if you were in your gay pink spaceship right next to it when it went supernova, it would take 700 years for anyone on earth to see that happen.

It's similar to the speed of sound, in that if you hear a gunshot two miles away, that person didn't pull the trigger right when you heard the shot. The sound has to travel to you. It had already happened about 10 seconds ago and it took that long for the sound to travel 2 miles.

View Quote

I know what a fucking Light Year is. You completely missed the point.
Link Posted: 5/26/2023 12:58:53 PM EDT
[#22]
When it blows then a neutron star will be 500 plus light years from our solar system and the third closest after J185635-3754 at 400 light years and PSR J0108-1431 about 424 light year.

Thankfully J185635-3754 does not pulsate and PSR J0108-143 is a faint pulser.  Will we be as lucky with betelgeuse's neutron start?  They younger they are the more they pulsate and give off gamma ray bursts.
Link Posted: 5/26/2023 1:03:38 PM EDT
[#23]
Quoted:
View Quote

Math is HARD!

Link Posted: 5/26/2023 1:08:22 PM EDT
[#24]
Link Posted: 5/26/2023 1:09:02 PM EDT
[#25]
Quoted:
When it blows then a neutron star will be 500 plus light years from our solar system and the second closest after J185635-3754 at 400 light years.

Thankfully J185635-3754 does not pulsate.  Will we be as lucky with betelgeuse's neutron start?  They younger they are the more they pulsate and give off gamma ray bursts.
View Quote

The axis of rotation for Betelguese is not thought to coincide at all with the Solar System.  It's thought that neutron star rotational axis direction should, through conservation of angular momentum, be fairly close to the parent star's  As relativistic jets and associated gamma ray burst phenomena are thought to lie along the axis of rotation, neither Betelgeuse, nor its stellar remnant, should be an issue.

The above is definitely not the case for WR-104 that I mentioned in my previous post.
Link Posted: 5/26/2023 1:11:01 PM EDT
[#26]
Quoted:

You're going to feel a bit retarded when you figure out what a light year means.  

If you had a telescope aimed right at it and saw it go boom, that didn't actually happen while you were watching. It took 700 years for the light you are seeing to get to us, it happened 700 years ago. When you are looking at stars in the sky, you are basically looking at a time machine of the past. When you look at that star, you're actually seeing what it looked like 700 years ago. It might have turned into a giant vagina right now but we wouldn't see that for 700 years.

Likewise if you were in your gay pink spaceship right next to it when it went supernova, it would take 700 years for anyone on earth to see that happen.

It's similar to the speed of sound, in that if you hear a gunshot two miles away, that person didn't pull the trigger right when you heard the shot. The sound has to travel to you. It had already happened about 10 seconds ago and it took that long for the sound to travel 2 miles.

View Quote

I get that and it makes sense but do light waves and sound waves behave the same?
 How does that double slit experiment with light waves/particles being observed, not observed and behaving differently fit into the equation?

Link Posted: 5/26/2023 1:13:53 PM EDT
[#27]
Quoted:

The axis of rotation for Betelguese is not thought to coincide at all with the Solar System.  It's thought that neutron star rotational axis direction should, through conservation of angular momentum, be fairly close to the parent star's  As relativistic jets and associated gamma ray burst phenomena are thought to lie along the axis of rotation, neither Betelgeuse, nor its stellar remnant, should be an issue.

The above is definitely not the case for WR-104 that I mentioned in my previous post.
View Quote

True, just saying and WR-104 is a nasty bullseye at 15 degrees unless you believe the 45 degrees theory.
Link Posted: 5/26/2023 1:18:20 PM EDT
[#28]
Quoted:

It could mean that it happened last week and our great great great great great grandchildren will die before the event is visible.  We are trying to make assumptions and calculations for time lines measured in millions of years, based on the observations of a few thousand years.  There's bound to be a few miscalculations here and there.
View Quote

If it's 700 light years away, then what we're seeing already happened around 1300 ad and we're just barely seeing the results.
Not like we're watching it in real time right now
Link Posted: 5/26/2023 1:20:15 PM EDT
[#29]
Quoted:
"Shits bright, yo".
View All Quotes

And imagine this... That star was 10 times as far away from earth as Betelgeuse is.
Link Posted: 5/26/2023 1:22:09 PM EDT
[#30]
It would be a cool sight. I believe ancient humans made drawings of a "second Sun", which was likely a nearby supernova. It likely lit up the sky for weeks or a few months.
Link Posted: 5/26/2023 1:23:40 PM EDT
[#31]
Betelgeuse Betelgeuse Betelgeuse
Link Posted: 5/26/2023 2:07:32 PM EDT
[#32]
Link Posted: 5/26/2023 2:15:03 PM EDT
[#33]
Most likely Wan-To is inhabiting it, sucking out all its energy.

He'll move out before it goes boom though.  Or did, 700 years ago.
Link Posted: 5/26/2023 2:19:43 PM EDT
[#34]
Quoted:
Beetlejuice
Beetlejuice
Beetlejuice
View Quote

Lives in, was Mayor of and helped flush shitcago down the water closet.
Link Posted: 5/26/2023 2:20:25 PM EDT
[#35]
Quoted:
Nice work. What stacking program do you use?
View Quote

Thanks.  

Pixinsight. It's expensive and hard to learn, but you can do a lot more than in any other stacker.
Link Posted: 5/26/2023 2:39:33 PM EDT
[#36]
On the subject of the copy and paste content like the one in the original post's video, I've been noticing seemingly braindead content creators that pump out ridiculous numbers of these videos for science, military stuff, guns, etc that are almost all entirely artificially created with stolen or stock video. I do believe these are a cancer. If you want to watch REAL science content, subscribe to channels like Kyle Hill, SEA, Veratasium, PBS Space Time, Kurzgesagt, HistoryoftheUniverse, Astrum, Anton Petrov, etc with a REAL person behind the making of the content.  

YouTube’s Science Scam Crisis

Link Posted: 5/26/2023 2:41:24 PM EDT
[#37]
Quoted:

Thanks.  

Pixinsight. It's expensive and hard to learn, but you can do a lot more than in any other stacker.
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
Nice work. What stacking program do you use?

Thanks.  

Good to know. I have a bunch of night scapes from Utah that I haven't gotten around to processing, mostly because I've been too lazy to find appropriate tools.
Link Posted: 5/26/2023 3:10:36 PM EDT
[#38]
Quoted:
On the subject of the copy and paste content like the one in the original post's video, I've been noticing seemingly braindead content creators that pump out ridiculous numbers of these videos for science, military stuff, guns, etc that are almost all entirely artificially created with stolen or stock video. I do believe these are a cancer. If you want to watch REAL science content, subscribe to channels like Kyle Hill, SEA, Veratasium, PBS Space Time, Kurzgesagt, HistoryoftheUniverse, Astrum, Anton Petrov, etc with a REAL person behind the making of the content.  

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=McM3CfDjGs0
View Quote
Thor is right, but what does he suggest?  YouTube just wants to attract an audience with which to parley into ad revenue.  The only time they pull anything is when it violates copyright, leftist dogma, or could land them in hot water otherwise.  What do they care if junk people are cranking out junk science junk with junk AI and junky clickbait thumbnails that highlight irrelevant and made up junk?
Link Posted: 5/26/2023 3:14:42 PM EDT
[#39]
Quoted:
Thor is right, but what does he suggest?  YouTube just wants to attract an audience with which to parley into ad revenue.  The only time they pull anything is when it violates copyright, leftist dogma, or could land them in hot water otherwise.  What do they care if junk people are cranking out junk science junk with junk AI and junky clickbait thumbnails that highlight irrelevant and made up junk?
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

I'm willing to bet a LOT of their content DOES violate copyright/IP as they are probably all stealing existing animation/video. Not that it would be practical to figure out which videos meet that standard. They have changed their policies regarding similar issues in the past. I would do what he does and suggest that you report them for spam and click the do not recommend this channel to me when those channels show up in your feed.
Link Posted: 5/26/2023 3:26:36 PM EDT
[#40]
Quoted:
I'm willing to bet a LOT of their content DOES violate copyright/IP as they are probably all stealing existing animation/video. Not that it would be practical to figure out which videos meet that standard. They have changed their policies regarding similar issues in the past. I would do what he does and suggest that you report them for spam and click the do not recommend this channel to me when those channels show up in your feed.
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:

I was watching some space related video last night to fall asleep.  The first comment was a guy complaining they stole his original content and changed the music.
Link Posted: 5/26/2023 3:59:57 PM EDT
[#41]
Quoted:
My man Anton doesn't seem to know what's going on with it.
View Quote

I love Anton and watch him every night at bed time.

We won't see Betelgeuse supernova in our lifetime. When it does supernova, it will have happened anywhere between 500 and 700 years earlier.
Link Posted: 5/26/2023 4:01:24 PM EDT
[#42]
Any computer voice video is an instant close for me.
Link Posted: 5/26/2023 4:04:46 PM EDT
[#43]
Quoted:
Any computer voice video is an instant close for me.
View Quote

Link Posted: 5/26/2023 4:23:23 PM EDT
[#44]
Quoted:
That's correct.
View Quote

The James Webb telescope can look back in time. Couldn’t they see if this thing blew already? Shit like this is weird and awesome.
Link Posted: 5/26/2023 5:27:25 PM EDT
[#45]
Quoted:

The James Webb telescope can look back in time. Couldn’t they see if this thing blew already? Shit like this is weird and awesome.
View Quote

Oh good grief.

I thought Reddit had some questions.

All telescopes “see back in time” because the light they receive come from a far away source.

Light has a finite speed in a vacuum.

Betelgeuse is 548ly away give or take so what we see happened 548 years ago. So in essence all telescopes see back in time. How far back is determined by how far away the observed object is.

If the JW looks at a distance galaxy it could be looking back billions of years.

Guess what? If you look at Betelgeuse with your eyes you are looking back in time because those photon hitting your retina left the star roughly 548 years ago.

When you look up at our sun, you are looking back in time about 8 minutes and if you look at the moon you are looking back in time about 1.5 seconds.

What we perceive as instantaneous in our eye at the end of your fingers isn’t exactly at the time we perceive it. Crazy but true. Our brains adjust for the time adjustment.

Attachment Attached File

A light year is roughly 5.88 Trillion miles. 186,000 miles a second. Stated in miles for GD.
Link Posted: 5/26/2023 5:33:07 PM EDT
[#46]
Quoted:

I know what a fucking Light Year is. You completely missed the point.
View Quote

That quote could have been the answer to legit half the posts in this thread
Link Posted: 5/26/2023 6:41:32 PM EDT
[#47]
You know what would be a real f you to astronomy enthusiasts?  If it went supernova and the light got here in early April of 2024...
Link Posted: 5/26/2023 6:43:24 PM EDT
[#48]
Quoted:
are we taking bets on when she'll blow?  people thinking it'll happen any day now have no grasp on the odds of it happening "soon" (people time) vs cosmic time scales.  i'd like to take advantage of that
View Quote

Personally I'm hoping for "very soon".   In cosmic time scales, that translates optimistically to "probably in my lifetime".
Link Posted: 5/26/2023 6:49:16 PM EDT
[#49]
Quoted:

If it's 700 light years away, then what we're seeing already happened around 1300 ad and we're just barely seeing the results.
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

It could mean that it happened last week and our great great great great great grandchildren will die before the event is visible.  We are trying to make assumptions and calculations for time lines measured in millions of years, based on the observations of a few thousand years.  There's bound to be a few miscalculations here and there.

Yes, but the speed of light is arguably best understood as a causal front, so or us and anyone we can communicate or interact with, it is happening as we see it.
Link Posted: 5/26/2023 7:30:54 PM EDT
[#50]
You can find out a little head of time, before its visible; when the Supernova releases neutrinos.
Page / 5
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top