Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Site Notices
Arrow Left Previous Page
Page / 2
Posted: 10/31/2019 12:28:16 PM EDT
I’m looking to get a tool chest for the garage and get my tools organized nicely. What is this best bang for the buck? I found a Cobalt I liked with good reviews https://www.lowes.com/pd/Kobalt-41-in-W-x-63-4-in-H-12-Ball-bearing-Steel-Tool-Chest-Combo-Black/1000792508. Any ideas or suggestions are appreciated.
Link Posted: 10/31/2019 1:28:58 PM EDT
[#1]
I have had this model for 2 years. Harbor Freight.   Absolutely no complaints.  I believe it was $379 at the time.  Goes on sale regularly.

Attachment Attached File
Link Posted: 10/31/2019 2:02:02 PM EDT
[#2]
I've had a Craftsman stack for over twenty years and have been happy with it.
The newer ones have ball bearing soft close glides, too.

That said, I worked at Lowe's for five years up until this year and the Kobalt stuff seemed really nice.
Link Posted: 10/31/2019 3:56:06 PM EDT
[#3]
Discussion ForumsJump to Quoted PostQuote History
Quoted:
I have had this model for 2 years. Harbor Freight.   Absolutely no complaints.  I believe it was $379 at the time.  Goes on sale regularly.

https://www.AR15.Com/media/mediaFiles/317430/Harbor_Freight_Tool_Chest_jpg-1143759.JPG
View Quote
Absolutely this. For the price they cannot be beat and you'll find them in auto shops in your town I'd bet.  They're pretty damn tough and stand up to pro use The layout is the only thing some folks dislike. Some of the Kobalt and Husky boxes are nice for a homeowner/DIYer.

Keep an eye on hfqpdb.com for coupons. They're 20/25/30% off coupons don't apply to them so they have to be a specific item coupon.
Link Posted: 10/31/2019 4:28:27 PM EDT
[#4]
The new craftsman boxes you can buy at Lowe’s are great for the price. Harbor freight stuff is not bad, but for a little more you can get made in the USA with craftsman.
Link Posted: 10/31/2019 4:56:01 PM EDT
[#5]
Quoted:
Absolutely this. For the price they cannot be beat and you'll find them in auto shops in your town I'd bet.  They're pretty damn tough and stand up to pro use The layout is the only thing some folks dislike. Some of the Kobalt and Husky boxes are nice for a homeowner/DIYer.

Keep an eye on hfqpdb.com for coupons. They're 20/25/30% off coupons don't apply to them so they have to be a specific item coupon.
View Quote View All Quotes
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

https://www.AR15.Com/media/mediaFiles/317430/Harbor_Freight_Tool_Chest_jpg-1143759.JPG

I just stopped by Harbor Freight to look at one and they seem pretty well made. It gets good review on this also https://www.garagetooladvisor.com/storage/best-tool-chests-cabinets/
Link Posted: 10/31/2019 5:06:50 PM EDT
[#6]
Quoted:

I just stopped by Harbor Freight to look at one and they seem pretty well made. It gets good review on this also https://www.garagetooladvisor.com/storage/best-tool-chests-cabinets/
View Quote
There's a giant thread on garage journal about them.  They're one of the go-to's for making the "steve-o workbench" out of.

Didn't realize how much they had gone up in price!  Honestly give the USA Craftsman a look at Lowes.  5% off with a Lowes CC.  10% off if you're .mil, retired, or a vet.  You can sometimes get 10% off "moving coupons" too.  Right now they're on sale LINK and $10 cheaper than the HF with a coupon.
Link Posted: 10/31/2019 7:06:46 PM EDT
[#7]
Craftsman’s are not nearly as well built as the HF box.  Sorry, China built a better box.  

Someone mention SteveO?
Link Posted: 10/31/2019 10:36:18 PM EDT
[#8]
HF if you aren't a pro.  I have one of their mechanics carts and it kicks ass for the price.
Link Posted: 11/1/2019 8:09:06 AM EDT
[#9]
I've got the HF US General 44" in the shop and the 26" in the reloading room and I've been satisfied with them.  Buy bigger than you think you need, they fill up fast!  The 44" runs around $450 most of the time, but they were $400 a few weeks ago.  It might be worth waiting for Black Friday to see if you can save a few bucks.  I did quite a bit of research and the majority of it pointed to HFUSG for homeowner use.  10 years ago I would have turned my nose up at a Chicom box and would have proudly bought a Craftsman, but Craftsman is dead to me now.
Link Posted: 11/1/2019 8:24:14 AM EDT
[#10]
Quoted:

View Quote
This

My home box is one of these with the 18" added drawers hanging off the side. I am more than impressed with it. Its not a high quality as my Homak box I use at work, but for home use I bet it will last a lifetime.
Link Posted: 11/1/2019 8:51:10 AM EDT
[#11]
OP,,,Look at estate sales in your area. Find some old fart like me that passed and buy his high quality stuff. You could also look at auctions in your area for VERY high quality stuff like "Lista" or 'Kennedy" brands.
Link Posted: 11/1/2019 9:05:46 AM EDT
[#12]
Quoted:

View Quote
I have a model one and they are a great value for the money, especially for a homeowner and not full time use.
Link Posted: 11/1/2019 9:32:03 AM EDT
[#13]
+1 for Harbor Freight.
Link Posted: 11/1/2019 9:50:48 AM EDT
[#14]
Got the same one last year, it's a fantastic buy and a well made box.
I'd buy it again in a heart beat

Quoted:

View Quote
Link Posted: 11/1/2019 10:04:34 AM EDT
[#15]
The HF 44" toolbox will be $399 on Black Friday. Even if they don't have it in stock, you should be able to order one at the store at that price that day.
Link Posted: 11/1/2019 11:16:59 PM EDT
[#16]
Quoted:
I'm looking to get a tool chest for the garage and get my tools organized nicely. What is this best bang for the buck? I found a Cobalt I liked with good reviews https://www.lowes.com/pd/Kobalt-41-in-W-x-63-4-in-H-12-Ball-bearing-Steel-Tool-Chest-Combo-Black/1000792508. Any ideas or suggestions are appreciated.
View Quote
I've got this one. Recently bought it in green. I got it for 450 on sale with another 100 off from a gift card. I'm really happy with it. As long as you're not going to completely fill the drawers it's great. Wait for it to be on sale.
Link Posted: 11/1/2019 11:22:32 PM EDT
[#17]
Quoted:

View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

I agree with this. I researched it quite a bit and ultimately went with harbor freight tool boxes. I'm beyond impressed. It's more than enough for my needs.

Attachment Attached File

Attachment Attached File
Link Posted: 11/2/2019 12:07:00 AM EDT
[#18]
Lots of reviews and conpairing on you tube.    In every case the harbor freight units win out.

Check it out your self.
Link Posted: 11/3/2019 10:22:44 PM EDT
[#19]
Craftsman does not mean USA-made any more.
Link Posted: 11/4/2019 4:32:43 PM EDT
[#20]
Quoted:
Craftsman does not mean USA-made any more.
View Quote
Well some is....but it's USA made (with global components)
Link Posted: 11/5/2019 1:33:46 AM EDT
[#21]
Quoted:
The new craftsman boxes you can buy at Lowe’s are great for the price. Harbor freight stuff is not bad, but for a little more you can get made in the USA with craftsman.
View Quote
Craftsman hasn't built a tool in the US in nearly a decade.
Link Posted: 11/5/2019 12:26:39 PM EDT
[#22]
I used a Montezuma Crossover set for years until I outgrew the bottom box.  I replaced the bottom box with the HF one mentioned above- fantastic toolbox.

There have been some complaints that the drawers on some of the boxes don't fully open but mine hasn't had that issue.  From what I remember it was the oddly colored boxes while the black and red ones worked right.  There is also something about import fees that are less if heavier gauge steel is used, so that's why they're heavier.

Anyway, this is what the top box looks like on mine.  It sits in the middle of the HF bottom box giving me room on both sides to put spray cans and other items.

Attachment Attached File
Link Posted: 11/5/2019 1:09:33 PM EDT
[#23]
After looking at everything I could I ended up with a Homak RS Pro.  The Harbor Freight, Craftsman, Kobalt, Dewalt, big box store brands were too light duty for my liking.  You can order them direct from Homak.  Napa carries them as well and they are on sale often.

Link Posted: 11/5/2019 1:15:20 PM EDT
[#24]
Milwaukee makes a pretty damn good box in my humble opinion. Home Depot carries them and they go on sale this time of year, Black Friday
Link Posted: 11/5/2019 2:48:15 PM EDT
[#25]
I have a good Craftsman tool box (top and bottom boxes) I bought at least 20 years ago. Paid around $600 for both 20 years ago. It's a good box.

I started running out of room so I bought a Harbor Freight box (top and bottom boxes same size as my Craftsman). Paid less than $400 for it about 20 years after I bought my Craftsman box. It's just as good as my good Craftsman.
Link Posted: 11/5/2019 2:55:05 PM EDT
[#26]
Harbor Freight coupons came out today for the tool chests, the big ones are $200. off so $999.Attachment Attached File
Link Posted: 11/5/2019 3:09:58 PM EDT
[#27]
Quoted:
Harbor Freight coupons came out today for the tool chests, the big ones are $200. off so $999.https://www.AR15.Com/media/mediaFiles/90999/untitled_png-1150031.JPG
View Quote
how can one get ahold of the coupons?

Thanks
Link Posted: 11/5/2019 3:14:38 PM EDT
[#28]
The Harbor Freight ad for black friday is out too, so keep that in mind. The 44" will be $399.99 on BF. Their current coupon has it at $439.99.
Link Posted: 11/5/2019 5:14:41 PM EDT
[#29]
Quoted:

Thanks
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
Harbor Freight coupons came out today for the tool chests, the big ones are $200. off so $999.https://www.AR15.Com/media/mediaFiles/90999/untitled_png-1150031.JPG

Thanks
hfqpdb dot com
Link Posted: 11/5/2019 7:47:59 PM EDT
[#30]
Quoted:

Thanks
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

Thanks
Link Posted: 11/9/2019 11:29:45 AM EDT
[#31]
Picked up a harbor freight 44” for $120 yesterday. Well past time I had gotten a rolling box. Haven’t put it together yet and I’m extremely happy.
Link Posted: 11/9/2019 11:36:01 AM EDT
[#32]
Quoted:
Milwaukee makes a pretty damn good box in my humble opinion. Home Depot carries them and they go on sale this time of year, Black Friday
View Quote
yup.

I bought the newest set, 60" top and bottom.
Link Posted: 11/9/2019 12:35:20 PM EDT
[#33]
Quoted:
Picked up a harbor freight 44” for $120 yesterday. Well past time I had gotten a rolling box. Haven’t put it together yet and I’m extremely happy.
View Quote
18" or 22" deep?

22" is the newer version.
Link Posted: 11/9/2019 2:17:03 PM EDT
[#34]
Quoted:

18" or 22" deep?

View Quote
Not exactly sure but it’s the “technicians cart”
Link Posted: 11/15/2019 1:46:44 AM EDT
[#35]
I've got a gen2 44" hf box in my service truck. It's been in there for almost a year.

My only gripe is that being in a truck it gets shaken around enough to wear out the detents that hold the drawer closed.  Now if I'm working somewhere that tips the truck a little to the passenger side the heavy drawers will slide open unless I lock it.   If they'd have put the latches on the sides of the drawers like they did on the carts the box would be awesome for the money.

I wouldn't hesitate to buy one for home use. First choice would be waiting for a deal on a used snap-on or Mac box or one of the industrial cabinets on Craigslist or offer up.

If I remember correctly, the fully opening drawers are only on some part numbers. I think each box has like 3 part numbers for each color and there are slight differences for each one.  They talk about it on garage journal or whatever the big garage forum is.
Link Posted: 11/19/2019 10:24:12 PM EDT
[#36]
Quoted:

18" or 22" deep?

View Quote
18” probably hasn’t been in the stores in over 18 months.
Link Posted: 11/20/2019 12:04:58 PM EDT
[#37]
Quoted:

18” probably hasn’t been in the stores in over 18 months.
View Quote
For $120, sounds like he got it used, hence the question.
Link Posted: 11/21/2019 8:33:15 PM EDT
[#38]
Quoted:

For $120, sounds like he got it used, hence the question.
View Quote
Reading is for fags.  Sometimes I’m a fag. . Hey, $20 is $20.
Link Posted: 1/8/2020 11:59:53 AM EDT
[#39]
My in laws got me the 44”  for Christmas and this thing is great. It’s very well made and I’m not sure you can beat it for even close to the same money.
Link Posted: 1/8/2020 1:39:22 PM EDT
[#40]
Told ya!
Link Posted: 1/9/2020 1:49:11 PM EDT
[#41]
Quoted:

View Quote
Avoid Husky.  I went that route 5 or so years ago, and I have a couple of the drawer slides that are spitting out ball bearings.
Link Posted: 1/9/2020 2:02:48 PM EDT
[#42]
Quoted:
Avoid Husky.  I went that route 5 or so years ago, and I have a couple of the drawer slides that are spitting out ball bearings.
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

Husky toolboxes get really good reviews online.
Link Posted: 1/10/2020 8:09:19 AM EDT
[#43]
Quoted:

View Quote
I just got one of these and am very impressed.
Link Posted: 1/15/2020 6:41:08 PM EDT
[#44]
Harbor Freight has these on sale right now for $300.

Does anyone have any experience with them?

YUKON   46 In. 9-Drawer Mobile Storage Cabinet With Solid Wood Top

https://www.harborfreight.com/46-in-9-drawer-mobile-storage-cabinet-with-solid-wood-top-56613.html?cid=sitebanner_hp_yukon121219

Thanks
Link Posted: 1/19/2020 10:53:02 PM EDT
[#45]
^

I'm surprised no one has any experience or opinion?
Link Posted: 1/27/2020 11:00:00 AM EDT
[#46]
Quoted:
Harbor Freight has these on sale right now for $300.

Does anyone have any experience with them?

YUKON   46 In. 9-Drawer Mobile Storage Cabinet With Solid Wood Top

https://www.harborfreight.com/46-in-9-drawer-mobile-storage-cabinet-with-solid-wood-top-56613.html?cid=sitebanner_hp_yukon121219

Thanks
View Quote
I bought one over the weekend.

Very sturdy and great quality for $300.  Glad I have it and I'd buy it again.
Link Posted: 1/27/2020 11:04:24 AM EDT
[#47]
I own a Kobalt, a Craftsman and a Harbor Freight.  For the price and build quality, I would choose the HF boxes.   I bought my HF box third after already acquiring the Kobalt and Craftsman units.  If I had it to do over again, I would have gotten a single large set of HF ones.
Link Posted: 1/27/2020 11:10:58 AM EDT
[#48]
Husky and Milwaukee from Home Depot are pretty tough to beat IMO.

Ive also got a big stainless steel one from sams club thats 15 years or so old. Was first offbrand model with self close ball bearing drawers at the time. Great box.

Just watch gauge steel thickness and ball bearings.

Crazy how cheap its all gotten. I used to sell Craftsman at Sears in college back when youd pay $2500 for the pro models that compare to the cheapos now
Link Posted: 1/27/2020 1:09:08 PM EDT
[#49]
The problem I've found with the box store (Home Depot or Lowes) toolboxes is they have only a few deep drawers, not many shallow drawers.  It's cheaper to make them with fewer drawers.

My toolbox holds primarily my automotive tools like wrenches and pliers and such, not the power tools, so shallow drawers are more efficient for me.  Big deep drawers would mean a lot of wasted space.

Attachment Attached File
Link Posted: 1/27/2020 1:14:53 PM EDT
[#50]
Quoted:
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:

I can only relate my experience - light duty boxes with poor quality slides.
Arrow Left Previous Page
Page / 2
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top