Link Posted: 2/14/2019 1:31:44 PM EDT
[#1]
Discussion ForumsJump to Quoted PostQuote History
Quoted:Are we ignoring the interest rates
View Quote View All Quotes
View All Quotes
That ruined a lot of farmers.  Dad was just trying to get started when that went down and had to get a second job to cover the tractor payment until he could get it dumped, he had been custom farming and looking for land before it went south.  Grandpa had to sell out.  Very bad time for farming.

Quoted:

Similar here

The main down side of the 80s is that the cars really sucked.
Not really, they were starting to crawl out of the dark ages (1970's) by then.  Performance was starting to get fairly respectable (until overshadowed by the big boom in the early 00's)

And if you didn't like new cars 60's muscle was a cheap alternative.
Link Posted: 2/14/2019 1:32:33 PM EDT
[#2]
Quoted:
Yup, I was there when MTV made it's debut...First song was Dire Straits "Money For Nothing".

And if you couldn't pull chics in the 80's it was because you were gay.
View Quote
So MTV waited 5 years to play their first song, interdasting...
Link Posted: 2/14/2019 1:39:29 PM EDT
[#3]
Quoted:
Yup. 'Memberberries thread.

Most guys will tell you the decade where they had the best combination of getting laid, their back not hurting, and making decent money was the best decade ever. For some guys here, that time was the '80s. For most guys here, that time was not the '80s.

Usually, when trying to point to other factors other than maybe economics, their arguments fall off. Presidents? Please... Every President we've had in the last century has been an authoritarian ass that loved big government and expanded the size and scope of our government as well as its powers over us. Wars and the threat thereof? That never ends. Cars? I might give you a pass if you lived through the '60s muscle car era, otherwise, LOL.

That brings me to the music... People who peaked in the '80s love to talk about the music, but pretty much the only thing that went right in that decade was the proliferation of metal. Most rock was either broken down to four chord arena bullshit or turned into wank sessions for overcooked guitar solos and/or synth pieces that were more about showing off than any kind of actual art. Jazz, blues, and anything with legit soul fell into the shadows. Classical was an afterthought. I'm also pretty sure the '80s MTV scene gave rise to the pop music artists that perform/lip-sync over canned music.

Country was still country in the '80s, but it doesn't really stand out to adjacent decades.

Unless you were an old school metal head, '80s music wasn't actually very good for the most part. You probably just love it because you associate it with getting laid and not having back pain.
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
Old dudes gonna old dude.
Yup. 'Memberberries thread.

Most guys will tell you the decade where they had the best combination of getting laid, their back not hurting, and making decent money was the best decade ever. For some guys here, that time was the '80s. For most guys here, that time was not the '80s.

Usually, when trying to point to other factors other than maybe economics, their arguments fall off. Presidents? Please... Every President we've had in the last century has been an authoritarian ass that loved big government and expanded the size and scope of our government as well as its powers over us. Wars and the threat thereof? That never ends. Cars? I might give you a pass if you lived through the '60s muscle car era, otherwise, LOL.

That brings me to the music... People who peaked in the '80s love to talk about the music, but pretty much the only thing that went right in that decade was the proliferation of metal. Most rock was either broken down to four chord arena bullshit or turned into wank sessions for overcooked guitar solos and/or synth pieces that were more about showing off than any kind of actual art. Jazz, blues, and anything with legit soul fell into the shadows. Classical was an afterthought. I'm also pretty sure the '80s MTV scene gave rise to the pop music artists that perform/lip-sync over canned music.

Country was still country in the '80s, but it doesn't really stand out to adjacent decades.

Unless you were an old school metal head, '80s music wasn't actually very good for the most part. You probably just love it because you associate it with getting laid and not having back pain.
Because of MTV, the way a band looked was more important than how they sounded. Do you think those ugly bastards in Aerosmith or the Stones would have been big if they had started in the '80's?
Link Posted: 2/14/2019 1:48:13 PM EDT
[#4]
Quoted:
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
My uncle felt confident enough to get a perm in the 80's. There's really nothing more to discuss about it.
Link Posted: 2/14/2019 2:00:11 PM EDT
[#5]
Quoted:
Add some blue Redline V-bars and a blue fluted (straight) seat post, and this was my bike, except my Skyways were black and I had blue gumwalls.  Took me years to earn enough to deck it out.  
Man...we rode bikes everywhere back then. I never see kids on bikes anymore.

https://bmxmuseum.com/image/aarons_ebay_460_blowup.jpg
View Quote
That's why they're all so fat. That and the invention of high fructose corn syrup.
Link Posted: 2/14/2019 2:06:25 PM EDT
[#6]
Quoted:
That's why they're all so fat. That and the invention of high fructose corn syrup.
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
Add some blue Redline V-bars and a blue fluted (straight) seat post, and this was my bike, except my Skyways were black and I had blue gumwalls.  Took me years to earn enough to deck it out.  
Man...we rode bikes everywhere back then. I never see kids on bikes anymore.

Everyone always complains they never see kids on bikes, but in the same breath will tell you their kid isn't allowed to ride on the road, it's too dangerous, or ride into town on their own, they might get kidnapped.

And I'm guilty of that too, when I was like 13-14 I would ride a few miles off the hill, through town and out another mile or two  to my friends houses on the other side of town. No way I'm going to let my girls do that (we live on a much busier road with hardly any shoulders).

The kids have slowly found out that playing video games in their room is the only time they aren't getting hovered over, so it's their release.

I do kick my girls outside whenever I can, and make it a point to keep the TV off during the day so they can play with real things, but they won't get to do a lot of the same things I used to do.

Driving an hour or so away to the mall at age 15 with your friend that just got her license yesterday? Not a chance (that view might change based on what kind of teens they grow into and who their friends are though, who knows)

My dad though would have said "If you aren't home in time to do chores and eat supper I'm gonna kick you in the ass, don't spend all your money"
Link Posted: 2/14/2019 2:12:14 PM EDT
[#7]
Quoted:
Not to mention that Mark Knopfler was initially vehemently against (makin) music videos...he/they had to be talked into finally making a video of one of their songs.
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:
Yup, I was there when MTV made it's debut...First song was Dire Straits "Money For Nothing".

Okay, I see the inaccurate info in your post has been corrected a few times by others already, since MTV's first video to air was actually the Buggles' Video Killed the Radio Star, but I am still curious how you think Dire Straits came up with a song that had Sting singing the refrain "I want my MTV" if the channel had not even aired yet and no one knew what "MTV" was gonna be like...
Not to mention that Mark Knopfler was initially vehemently against (makin) music videos...he/they had to be talked into finally making a video of one of their songs.
...and we were all blown away by the incredible ground-breaking computer animation in the "Money for Nothing" video!  
Link Posted: 2/14/2019 2:16:24 PM EDT
[#8]
Quoted:
That ruined a lot of farmers.  Dad was just trying to get started when that went down and had to get a second job to cover the tractor payment until he could get it dumped, he had been custom farming and looking for land before it went south.  Grandpa had to sell out.  Very bad time for farming.

Not really, they were starting to crawl out of the dark ages (1970's) by then.  Performance was starting to get fairly respectable (until overshadowed by the big boom in the early 00's)

View All Quotes
Quoted:

Quoted:

Similar here

The main down side of the 80s is that the cars really sucked.

Rain on the Scarecrow
Link Posted: 2/14/2019 2:24:46 PM EDT
[#9]
Quoted:
The 80s were absolutely awesome.  

... only downside was the threat of nuclear annihilation.
View Quote
The Nuclear proliferation is so bad now. The chance of a Nuclear strike in the united states is higher than it has ever been.

N Korea,  Iran,  China and russia and the fact they have a plethora of terrorist groups that they could use as a delivery method to use as plausible deniability.

Also in the 80's concealed carry was not available to  a fraction of those it is today. If you were carrying a gun in the 80's you were up shit creek.

Aids was still a concern. Not as wide spread as today. However It was more of a death sentence then.

Cars from the 80's were gas-guzzling Hogs that were under powered.

SO?
Link Posted: 2/14/2019 2:27:20 PM EDT
[#10]
Quoted:
...and we were all blown away by the incredible ground-breaking computer animation in the "Money for Nothing" video!  
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:

Okay, I see the inaccurate info in your post has been corrected a few times by others already, since MTV's first video to air was actually the Buggles' Video Killed the Radio Star, but I am still curious how you think Dire Straits came up with a song that had Sting singing the refrain "I want my MTV" if the channel had not even aired yet and no one knew what "MTV" was gonna be like...
More like Aha’s “Take On Me” video.
Link Posted: 2/14/2019 2:35:35 PM EDT
[#11]
Quoted:
i read all of this
View Quote
I didn't.
Link Posted: 2/14/2019 2:37:13 PM EDT
[#12]
Quoted:
And spending a bunch of your adult life in Germany training to plug the Fulda Gap.
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

And spending a bunch of your adult life in Germany training to plug the Fulda Gap.
That was not a real downside:  German beer, German women, topless pools/beaches, did I mention German beer?
81-82 1-77 Armor Gelnhausen
83-84 3AD GT-T Drake Edwards (Frankfurt)

ETA: At least the 80s version of Money for Nothing had the "F" word, unlike the censored version classic radio stations play now.
For you young-n's
see the little F_____ with the ear ring and make up
Yes, that's his own hair.
The little F________'s got his own jet airplane
The little F______ is a millionaire.
Link Posted: 2/14/2019 2:48:53 PM EDT
[#13]
Thanks, GarandM1.  Brief but informative summary.  Born in the mid 70's, I remember the positive outlook of the 80's though I was too young to fully benefit from them.
Link Posted: 2/14/2019 2:51:44 PM EDT
[#14]
Quoted:
Author missed the fact that Disco was prevalent during the 1970's which is the reason it was the worst decade in the last 100 years.
View Quote
While the 80's was the grand peak of our culture politically and economically IMO, the 70's were right there too for any small town boy coming of age and making his way with an IDGAF attitude.
Music still had something to offer before the formulaic days of MTV.
With no AIDS worries, we partied hardy and made chicks with abandon.
Disco sucked, but it didn't exist or matter to millions like me and my friends.
Link Posted: 2/14/2019 3:00:48 PM EDT
[#15]
It was the best of times, and it was the best of times...

Link Posted: 2/14/2019 3:04:12 PM EDT
[#16]
I guess if you like hair bands, disco and cocaine, the 80s were gnarly.
Link Posted: 2/14/2019 3:33:23 PM EDT
[#17]
Quoted:
...The US military, which had been underfunded and suffered from poor leadership and morale, was rebuilt from the ground up.  They received new weapons, higher pay, and a greater respect from the American people.  For someone like me, who started his service during the Carter Administration and ended it during the Reagan Administration, the contrast was like night and day.  The military became respectable again...  
View Quote
Coupled with this was the quick and severe ass whooping we gave the communists in Grenada in 1983.  It was our first military fight since Viet Nam.  (not including flag-waving operations like Lebanon).  And while US victory over some rag-tag commies was a foregone conclusion, it was a huge morale booster.  People were actually boasting about our boys in uniform again.
Link Posted: 2/14/2019 3:35:03 PM EDT
[#18]
Well I was born in 81 so...
Link Posted: 2/14/2019 3:38:26 PM EDT
[#19]

There it is.
Link Posted: 2/14/2019 3:44:51 PM EDT
[#20]
the 80s was the best.  I would LOVE to re-live it all again

there is a reason out culture even in 2019 still  references it in all forms of media and new retro wave synth is so popular
Link Posted: 2/14/2019 3:45:49 PM EDT
[#21]
Good things about the 80s for me: = (Born early 70s)

Hair metal and other great music

Computers and video games were coming along nicely

Law enforcement wasn't so zero tolerance (depending on who you were). We got caught drinking underage about 15,483,293 times and never got a ticket/arrested. Hell, I don't think they ever took the beer. They'd knock on your door and tell you to quiet down.

Kids had more freedom to move around/be kids/do stupid things. No helmets, no helicopter moms/no play dates.

MTV.

Great time to be a teenager. Bonfire parties, keggers, people's parents gone on weekends, restaurants full of drunk high school kids at 1 a.m., girls on birth control.

Bad:

Chewbacca bush.
CCW not widespread (but available with a bit of string pulling and with less restrictions than now).
No SBR/SBS/silencers/full auto in my state. But nobody really cared. It wasn't really a thing.
Link Posted: 2/14/2019 3:50:12 PM EDT
[#22]
Quoted:
Man...we rode bikes everywhere back then.  I never see kids on bikes anymore.

View Quote
I had one of these. It sucked to ride but I was the coolest 10 year old in the neighborhood.  I also had a Mongoose and a 10-speed at different times.

Attachment Attached File
Link Posted: 2/14/2019 3:51:17 PM EDT
[#23]
Quoted:

View Quote
Thumbsup.jpg

The golden age of:
-action movies
-topless bars
-rock and roll that was actually fun
-rock sluts
-new wave girls
-punk
-role playing nerddom
-arcade games
-pinball
-picking up girls in clubs/bars
-drink specials in bars (“drinkin’ with Lincoln” - any coin buys a well drink or draft, “golden ticket” - $10 all-you-can-drink, etc)
Link Posted: 2/14/2019 3:59:01 PM EDT
[#24]
Quoted:
View Quote
Disco was pretty much dead by the early 80's.

Too bad hair bands didn't last longer though, I would have had the time of my life living (assuming I survived),
and hanging out on Sunset Strip.
Link Posted: 2/14/2019 4:04:52 PM EDT
[#25]
Quoted:

That was not a real downside:  German beer, German women, topless pools/beaches, did I mention German beer?

ETA: At least the 80s version of Money for Nothing had the "F" word, unlike the censored version classic radio stations play now.
For you young-n's
View Quote
I was at Drake in 88-90. Remember Johns and that chicken place?

Aviator
Link Posted: 2/14/2019 4:09:52 PM EDT
[#26]
Quoted:
Because nobody gave a shit about military style weapons until the Assault Weapons Ban in the mid 90's. It wasn't a part of the mainstream consciousness until you banned it.
View Quote
That's the way it was here, and in the circles I moved in.  No one really wanted an AR or AK in the 80s.  A good handgun for self defense, and a shotgun and rifle for hunting.  We weren't Fudds, but we didn't want modern sporting rifles either.  The semi autos we wanted were 22 rifles and handguns, because ammo was cheap!

My teenage kids have taken a liking to 80s movies and TV shows.  They both listen to 80s music, and my daughter even works out to the Bangles!

For me, the 80s were a much simpler time.  One of my favorite memories is this:  Its the summer of 1983.  A Saturday morning in July.  I'm almost 12.  The chores are done and i'm riding my go kart through the fields near my house.  In a couple of hours, i'm going to have to go home, take a shower and get dressed to go pick up my Dad at the airport.  But until then, i'm by myself on a warm summer day, riding my go kart with a full tank of gas, with the noise of that Briggs & Stratton engine in my ears, without a care in the world!

I really hope that the 2020s are the next 80s!
Link Posted: 2/14/2019 4:23:11 PM EDT
[#27]
GarandM1, I lived and served during the 80's (76-98) and you have reminded me of exactly how I remembered it during that time in my life! Amen and thanx for this thread, brother!! Mac
Link Posted: 2/14/2019 4:31:05 PM EDT
[#28]
In the 70's, we spent hours and hours outside, building jumps for our BMX bikes (that were just Schwinn Stingrays with 10-speed seats), climbing on roofs, jumping off roofs, shooting bb guns, slingshots and .22s.  Outside all day long.
When it rained or on Saturday/Sunday mornings, we would watch TV.  We ALL watched the same thing; the same shows, the same movies, the same cartoons. No options, just a few channels.  And you couldn't watch a movie twice without sneaking back in.
Our culture was TIGHT, like all the random references in Beastie Boys songs -that was US.
We all recognized that disco and hippies were LAME, and that there was something else...

It was all training to get us ready for the 80's...

The 80's were about partying, punk rock and getting laid.  It was awesome.
Link Posted: 2/14/2019 4:41:17 PM EDT
[#29]
neat thread
Link Posted: 2/14/2019 4:53:18 PM EDT
[#30]
View Quote
Never heard that song, grandpa's name is even John...

Grandpa's (mom's dad) sale was right after my parents got married in '82.  Dad got out from under the tractor shortly after I was born in '84... just sold it for what was left on the note... nobody wanted to buy anything because everybody was struggling.
Link Posted: 2/14/2019 5:05:35 PM EDT
[#31]
Quoted:

there is a reason out culture even in 2019 still  references it in all forms of media and new retro wave synth is so popular
View Quote
Fetishizing an era gone by has pretty much always been a thing.

Fake '50s memorabilia was everywhere when I was growing up, and there was another Woodstock in the '90s. '90s music also had a lot of parallels between it and '60s stuff.
Link Posted: 2/14/2019 5:09:07 PM EDT
[#32]
Quoted:

Fake '50s memorabilia was everywhere when I was growing up, and there was another Woodstock in the '90s. '90s music also had a lot of parallels between it and '60s stuff.
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

Yeah, in 15-20 more years it's going to be interesting when there are lots of references and throw backs to the early 2000's.

Around 2010-2013 I recall the kids wearing a lot 90's type pastels and ridiculous looking high tops becoming a thing again.
Link Posted: 2/14/2019 5:15:19 PM EDT
[#33]
Quoted:
I'm going to tell you why you're wrong.

Fox body and 3rd Gen camaros. Feel that whopping 200 whorespower as the wind combs that mullet back pinning those goofy aviators to your nose. In an impressive 0-60 in 10 minutes.
View Quote
Lol. No, you're looking at that all wrong. The 80's turned around the shit performance of carbed, small displacement late 70's smog vehicles.

All of those early Foxes and Thirdgens sucked because they still utilized 70's technology. Then we started to see multi-port EFI replace carbs, distributorless ignition, some turbocharged offerings that produced excellent results, and overdrive transmissions which meant you could run more rear gear and not suffer on the highway like you would with say a TH350 trans.

By the end of the 80's, performance and displacement were on the rise, and those same technological improvements continued into the 90's, resulting in even better performance leading up to GM's LS series in 97-98, which is still celebrated today.

Link Posted: 2/14/2019 5:47:43 PM EDT
[#34]
Quoted:

View Quote
Buggles, dude: “video killed the radio star”.
Link Posted: 2/14/2019 5:55:56 PM EDT
[#35]
For me the 80s are the decade of Ronald Reagan. I attended both of Reagan's inaugurations (even the one that was called on account of cold) and a speech he gave at Arlington Cemetery on Memorial Day in 1984.

The 80s were also the last decade that I had any faith in any politician.
Link Posted: 2/14/2019 6:00:30 PM EDT
[#36]
Quoted:
In the 70's, we spent hours and hours outside, building jumps for our BMX bikes (that were just Schwinn Stingrays with 10-speed seats), climbing on roofs, jumping off roofs, shooting bb guns, slingshots and .22s.  Outside all day long.
When it rained or on Saturday/Sunday mornings, we would watch TV.  We ALL watched the same thing; the same shows, the same movies, the same cartoons. No options, just a few channels.  And you couldn't watch a movie twice without sneaking back in.
Our culture was TIGHT, like all the random references in Beastie Boys songs -that was US.
We all recognized that disco and hippies were LAME, and that there was something else...

It was all training to get us ready for the 80's...

The 80's were about partying, punk rock and getting laid.  It was awesome.  
View Quote
Black kids, white kids, Hispanic kids... we all watched the same shows, we all listened to overlapping music, and for the most part we all got along. Today’s culture is (intentionally) shattered, to make it easier to play the different factions against each other.
Link Posted: 2/14/2019 6:06:05 PM EDT
[#37]
Quoted:

Lol. No, you're looking at that all wrong. The 80's turned around the shit performance of carbed, small displacement late 70's smog vehicles.

All of those early Foxes and Thirdgens sucked because they still utilized 70's technology. Then we started to see multi-port EFI replace carbs, distributorless ignition, some turbocharged offerings that produced excellent results, and overdrive transmissions which meant you could run more rear gear and not suffer on the highway like you would with say a TH350 trans.

By the end of the 80's, performance and displacement were on the rise, and those same technological improvements continued into the 90's, resulting in even better performance leading up to GM's LS series in 97-98, which is still celebrated today.

View Quote
The idea of a 1980's 225hp fox sounds a lot better than a 1970's 110hp Mustang II.  Considering net vs gross hp ratings, a lot of bigger/heavier V8 first gen Mustangs probably didn't have much more power, especially for the weight.
Link Posted: 2/14/2019 6:32:59 PM EDT
[#38]
Quoted:
Of course the 80's were awesome. They made me!

I actually do have a giant hard on for the 80's. Some day when I'm rich I'm going to build a house with an "80's wing" where you'll feel like you're in the 80's again. I don't remember much about them except the way things looked. And my memories of the late 80's and early 90's are all run together. Probably more early 90's that I remember more than anything, but we were poor so we didn't have anything from the 90's until well after y2k.

My parents don't remember the 80's very fondly. Their opinion is that the 70's were the best time in history and the world ended in 1980.
View Quote
The 70s were the worst time in history. I had a lot of fun in high school and college despite that, but the 70's sucked big time.

Every single aspect -- culture, music, fashion, politics -- was an embarassment.

In the 1980's, America's greatness returned.

Every single aspect -- culture, music, fashion, politics -- was something to be proud of. We were the envy of the world.
Link Posted: 2/14/2019 6:41:15 PM EDT
[#39]
Quoted:
The 70s were the worst time in history. I had a lot of fun in high school and college despite that, but the 70's sucked big time.

Every single aspect -- culture, music, fashion, politics -- was an embarassment.

Every single aspect -- culture, music, fashion, politics -- was something to be proud of. We were the envy of the world.
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
Of course the 80's were awesome. They made me!

I actually do have a giant hard on for the 80's. Some day when I'm rich I'm going to build a house with an "80's wing" where you'll feel like you're in the 80's again. I don't remember much about them except the way things looked. And my memories of the late 80's and early 90's are all run together. Probably more early 90's that I remember more than anything, but we were poor so we didn't have anything from the 90's until well after y2k.

My parents don't remember the 80's very fondly. Their opinion is that the 70's were the best time in history and the world ended in 1980.

The 80’s was awesomissimus.

But one could successfully argue that the best Metal, Punk, Rap, Reggae, and Rock was made during the 70’s.

But... we were listening to it during the 80’s, when we were being so awesome!
Link Posted: 2/14/2019 7:17:19 PM EDT
[#40]
Quoted:

The 80’s was awesomissimus.

But one could successfully argue that the best Metal, Punk, Rap, Reggae, and Rock was made during the 70’s.

But... we were listening to it during the 80’s, when we were being so awesome!
View Quote
Hell yea!
Link Posted: 2/14/2019 7:37:13 PM EDT
[#41]
Worst thing about 80's cars and motorcycles....Speedos only went up to 85.
Link Posted: 2/14/2019 8:36:15 PM EDT
[#42]
Quoted:
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:

Yep...that whole song/video was a slam on the vapid shallowness and yet over-the-top excesses of the MTV "generation," as exemplified by the popular videos/artists of the day that it mentioned, which is why it was so rich that Sting sang the refrain, since MTV had MADE The Police and Sting everything they were, yet they also felt superior enough to mock the typical MTV-watching mouth-breather who thought the MTV mega-star had everything he/she wanted so easy, on a silver platter. Lol, the layers in that one video/song...
Link Posted: 2/14/2019 8:40:51 PM EDT
[#43]
Quoted:

For you young-n's
View Quote
Posting the actual lyrics will get your account locked on Facebook.
Link Posted: 2/14/2019 8:46:56 PM EDT
[#44]
Quoted:

View Quote
That reason is fundamentally the same reason for all the ’50s and ’60s references in the ’80s and ’90s. Remember the rise of “oldies” radio stations? The sappy PBS specials where boomers told themselves how unique and special their generation was? Hell, “Back to the Future?” Nostalgia sells, and guys and gals in their 40s and 50s are a valuable marketing demographic. That’s us now.
Link Posted: 2/14/2019 8:49:53 PM EDT
[#45]
Quoted:
View Quote
Disco was a 70's thing and died in the early 80's.

Hair bands and coke were 80's icons.

ETA:  Penny loafers, pink oxford shirts, members only jackets, and mullets were cool.
Link Posted: 2/14/2019 9:39:04 PM EDT
[#46]
Quoted:
I'm going to tell you why you're wrong.

Fox body and 3rd Gen camaros. Feel that whopping 200 whorespower as the wind combs that mullet back pinning those goofy aviators to your nose. In an impressive 0-60 in 10 minutes.

Hughes amendment passed in 86.

Cocaine everywhere.

Shoulder pads in business suits. For men and women. What. The. Actual. Fuck.
We're ya'll anticipating full contact game near the water cooler hopped up on coke?

Rock bands dressing in drag.

Hairspray. Could you fuckers live without it?

Nothing good came from the 80s except the following.
3 wheelers.
Honda 250Rs
Yamaha Banshee
Suzuki LT500
Yamaha blaster
Suzuki LT250
82-87 body style Chevy C10s.

Everything else. Shit.
"Pop music" synthesizers is today's mumble rap

If the 80s were so great... how come nobody bought lightning links, drop in auto sears, full auto lowers like they were going out of style?!
View Quote
Most of us were still driving 60's/70's muscle cars, not 80's Camaros/Mustangs...

And when you needed parks you could just walk into the junkyard & get what you needed for a few dollars.
Now they're all connected & they set their prices so you're not getting a deal.
Link Posted: 2/14/2019 9:41:49 PM EDT
[#47]
Quoted:
You guys look at the ‘80s the same way that we look at the ‘90s, it isn’t that there’s anything particularly special about either decade, it’s just a matter of perspective.
View Quote
90's were OK, 80's was better...
Link Posted: 2/14/2019 9:57:21 PM EDT
[#48]

Link Posted: 2/14/2019 9:58:01 PM EDT
[#49]
Quoted:
Yeah, in 15-20 more years it's going to be interesting when there are lots of references and throw backs to the early 2000's.

Around 2010-2013 I recall the kids wearing a lot 90's type pastels and ridiculous looking high tops becoming a thing again.
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:

It’s going to be interesting to see what shows up with that nostalgia wave.

The first half of the decade was probably dominated by patriotic themes in response to 9/11. There will probably be a series of GWOT themed movies like we got for Vietnam in the ‘80s-90s.

The Fast & the Furious and the tuner culture will probably be remembered in surprisingly fond terms. People who disliked that will probably look back to big beasts like the Ford Excursion, 3/4ton Suburbans, Hummers, Escalades, and Avalanches. The ‘00s were also effectively the last cars that didn’t have infotainment systems and were less likely to be found with CVTs, cylinder deactivation, and other current complexities people dislike.

Chicks in low rise jeans are for sure going to be talked about.

Music? Most of the rock was pretty forgettable. EDM didn’t make the big leap until the ‘10s. I guess one thing that could be said is that Country hadn’t been completely taken over by hip hop influence yet.

All of this and more will be rose tinted in a decade or so.
Link Posted: 2/14/2019 10:14:13 PM EDT
[#50]
Quoted:
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

For you young-n's
Don't know about FaceBook, but SJW's of the time also claimed that the line "beating on the bongos like a chimpanzee"
was somehow inherently racist.
Page / 7
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top