BCM
User Panel

Site Notices
Page / 3
Link Posted: 12/15/2018 11:53:49 PM EDT
[#1]
Discussion ForumsJump to Quoted PostQuote History
Quoted:
No, but I have a bunch of Schrute bucks and Stanley nickels.
View Quote
Love that show
Link Posted: 12/15/2018 11:54:59 PM EDT
[#2]
Found a pen in the urinal the other day, washes off just fine.  People just don't appreciate value anymore
Link Posted: 12/15/2018 11:56:05 PM EDT
[#3]
Quoted:
lol...
View Quote View All Quotes
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
Another good place to find change is the self serve car washes with the bays that have a pressure sprayer, you would be amazed at how many quarters get dropped and roll in those places.
lol...
Tell us about the bonanza to be had in the coin return of payphones.
Link Posted: 12/15/2018 11:56:36 PM EDT
[#4]
Quoted:

That translates to finding over a dollar a day in change, every single day, for sixteen years.

View Quote
I find quite a bit of change on the ground. An old boss said I must have had a metal detector in my head or something.
My sister can walk across a yard and just look down randomly and find several four leaf clovers by the time she crosses it. I could get down on my hands and knees and comb the whole yard and never find one.

What really amazes me is how often Ill do rental or storage cleanouts where people who didnt pay their bills will just have piles of change or even jars or boxes of change that they will leave behind.
Link Posted: 12/16/2018 12:03:13 AM EDT
[#5]
Quoted:

Tell us about the bonanza to be had in the coin return of payphones.
View Quote
Not to many pay phones around anymore.
Link Posted: 12/16/2018 12:03:15 AM EDT
[#6]
Not really but I grab them when I see them. What I do buy when I see a good deal are wheat pennies for the grandkids. I have few thousand stashed away in .30 cal ammo cans.
Link Posted: 12/16/2018 12:06:29 AM EDT
[#7]
Quoted:
View Quote
What’s the conversion ratio between the two?
Link Posted: 12/16/2018 12:08:39 AM EDT
[#8]
Quoted:

What's the conversion ratio between the two?
View Quote
Just zip your lid.
Link Posted: 12/16/2018 12:09:02 AM EDT
[#9]
Quoted:

That translates to finding over a dollar a day in change, every single day, for sixteen years.

View Quote
Yeah, that ain't happening. Especially nowadays when most everybody uses plastic.
Link Posted: 12/16/2018 12:10:54 AM EDT
[#10]
Quoted:
Anyway guys, it is what it is, on to the next topic.

View Quote
Sorry dude...but I just can't believe your stories.  I look at the ground everywhere I go.  I might find a penny a week.  Maybe a silver coin or two once a month.  Big cities...small towns...doesn't matter
Link Posted: 12/16/2018 12:14:20 AM EDT
[#11]
Quoted:
When my Daughter was born, for some odd reason I started picking change that I found on the ground and threw it is a jug, when she was 16 I bought her a nice used car for her 16th birthday with the change I had picked up over that 16 years.  I paid a little over $6000 dollars for that car and she still has it in her garage, so $6000 in 16 years of free money worked out good for her.
View Quote
I find this hard to believe.  Approx. $400 per year on the ground, or better than a dollar a day, every single day for 16 continuous years.  Where do you live or work where this is possible?
Link Posted: 12/16/2018 12:14:33 AM EDT
[#12]
Quoted:

What is there to gain by me posting a Bull shit story?  Some of you guys are so fucking pessimistic that it is sad.  All you have to do is pay attention to where you are stepping.

I started doing it as a hobby and have never quit since then, people are like many in this thread, not enough money to waste my time attitudes.
View Quote
I’m actually inclined to believe your story. In a large-ish metro area, it’s not unreasonable to think one could find a buck a day if they were actively looking for change. Especially considering you were likely doing this a couple decades ago; when people still primarily dealt in hard currency.

I do wonder, did this also include dumping any spare change from your pockets each day? I know of guys who’ve adopted that habit. With some managing to squirrel away a couple hundred bucks a year. If that were the case, I think there’d be far fewer skeptics.
Link Posted: 12/16/2018 12:21:08 AM EDT
[#13]
Quoted:

View Quote
Too easy. Same as the ratio of unicorns to leprechauns. Gimme a hard one.
Link Posted: 12/16/2018 12:25:51 AM EDT
[#14]
Quoted:
View Quote
The conversion rate of Stanley Nickels to Schrute Bucks is the same as the ratio of unicorns to leprechauns.
Link Posted: 12/16/2018 12:29:09 AM EDT
[#15]
Silver yes; copper no.
Link Posted: 12/16/2018 12:29:42 AM EDT
[#16]
Quoted:
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

That’s what she said.
Link Posted: 12/16/2018 12:36:24 AM EDT
[#17]
Not anymore I have enough of those to turn about 1000+ gallons of Park solution green
Link Posted: 12/16/2018 12:45:16 AM EDT
[#18]
Quoted:

Yeah, that ain't happening. Especially nowadays when most everybody uses plastic.
View Quote
Virtually no one was using plastic when my daughter was born, plastic is prevalent now a days and a lot of people will buy a cup of coffee with a debit or credit card, when I was young, that was not normal nor was it even common..  If you didn't have cash in your pocket, you couldn't buy a coke or a cup of coffee.

When I had my daughter, the common cards were Bank of America, now called Visa, Dinners Club, Card Blanche and American Express, most of the department stores didn't have cards yet, then Meier and Frank introduced one.  If you wanted to buy furniture on credit, it was either in store financing or Household Finance.  When you bought a card on credit the terms were you pay cash at the dealership.  Everybody used cash or wrote a check, if you did have a card, they put it in a machine under a 3 copy carbon sheet and wrote down what you had and called in for an authorization code..
Link Posted: 12/16/2018 12:50:48 AM EDT
[#19]
Quoted:
Found a pen in the urinal the other day, washes off just fine.  People just don't appreciate value anymore
View Quote
Link Posted: 12/16/2018 4:48:34 AM EDT
[#20]
Quoted:

Some days less, some days more, weekends were always fun with a metal detector at a little league baseball park around the bleachers and the snake bar.
View Quote
Snake bar, you say?
Link Posted: 12/16/2018 5:06:51 AM EDT
[#21]
Quoted:
Snake bar, you say?
View Quote
Out of this whole conversation, this is what stands out to you?

Link Posted: 12/16/2018 5:28:49 AM EDT
[#22]
Quoted:
What's the approximate worth of one pre 82 penny?
View Quote
Depends on the daily "spot" price of a pound of copper.  Typically, between two and three cents a piece.
Link Posted: 12/16/2018 5:55:37 AM EDT
[#23]
Lol no.  I have better shit to do with my time.
Link Posted: 12/16/2018 6:00:17 AM EDT
[#24]
Quoted:
So you picked up an average of four pennys an hour for 16 years?
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

Some days less, some days more, weekends were always fun with a metal detector at a little league baseball park around the bleachers and the snake bar.
So you picked up an average of four pennys an hour for 16 years?
I love where this thread is going
Link Posted: 12/16/2018 6:00:37 AM EDT
[#25]
Quoted:

I find this hard to believe.  Approx. $400 per year on the ground, or better than a dollar a day, every single day for 16 continuous years.  Where do you live or work where this is possible?
View Quote
No kidding.  I make it a point to save all my change in a big jar and don't collect that much annually, much less find it laying around
Link Posted: 12/16/2018 6:10:49 AM EDT
[#26]
Quoted:
What's the approximate worth of one pre 82 penny?
View Quote
Not sure of your definition of worth, but a pre-82 is actually worth it’s face value (or slightly more) in the melt value of the copper.  Similarly for nickels, Where the melt value is same/similar to melt value.

I roll and store nickels and pre-82’s just in case we can ever melt them again. I sort the pennies when watching TV, so no real investment in time to do so.

I wouldn’t go buy penny rolls to do it, though.

I’m curious about the likelihood that the laws change on melting. If costs of the metal climb high enough, I wonder if industrial need could force a policy reversal. But given what it costs the .gov to produce the current penny, I don’t know that they would want the old ones to be taken out of circulation.
Link Posted: 12/16/2018 8:59:03 AM EDT
[#27]
My older sister was born in 1976. Since then my dad has collected bicentennial quarters. Nothing particularly more valuable about them than regular quarters but he’s got several milk jugs full of them stashed away.

Maybe he’ll buy her a car one of these days.
Link Posted: 12/16/2018 9:05:31 AM EDT
[#28]
Quoted:

View Quote
A Toll collector on the interstate could do this with dropped coins.
Link Posted: 12/16/2018 9:07:05 AM EDT
[#29]
I hoard them with the intention of getting a die that can punch them into .45 ACP FMJs.
Link Posted: 12/16/2018 9:10:49 AM EDT
[#30]
Quoted:

View Quote
I don't like snakes...

I think that it would be fun around here to go through the fair grounds and the parking lot after the state fair rolls through with a metal detector.
Link Posted: 12/16/2018 9:22:25 AM EDT
[#31]
Not a collector, but was left a bunch of old coins, and I always throw my change into a container... some of the old stuff can be worth pretty good money such as 1909 pennies...

Here is 3 1909's, left one is a Philadelphia VDB penny(marks are almost gone), center is a plain Philadelphia penny and the right is a San Francisco penny...

Attachment Attached File

Attachment Attached File

These are all old pennies...

Attachment Attached File
Link Posted: 12/16/2018 9:29:27 AM EDT
[#32]
I just go to various wishing wells at night.
Link Posted: 12/16/2018 9:30:43 AM EDT
[#33]
Quoted:
What is there to gain by me posting a Bull shit story?  Some of you guys are so fucking pessimistic that it is sad.  All you have to do is pay attention to where you are stepping.

I started doing it as a hobby and have never quit since then, people are like many in this thread, not enough money to waste my time attitudes.
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

100% BS

I’ll find a penny/nickel/quarter about once a month

I will happily sell you a guide to picking up more dropped coins on the ground for the low cost of 19.99 plus shipping and handling.
Link Posted: 12/16/2018 9:42:41 AM EDT
[#34]
I have no plans to hoard pennies.
Link Posted: 12/16/2018 9:57:47 AM EDT
[#35]
Quoted:
I just go to various wishing wells at night.
View Quote
Mall fountains are a veritable treasure trove.
Link Posted: 12/16/2018 10:02:26 AM EDT
[#36]
I remember a news story from a few years ago about people who save pre-82 penny's hoping the gov changes a rule making them ok to sell as scrap copper.

One guy they interviewed had a few 50 gallon drums full to the top in his shed.
Link Posted: 12/16/2018 10:02:32 AM EDT
[#37]
Some pennies are certainly worth keeping an eye open for. Errors, a 43 made of copper, a 44 made of steel, etc.

Per google for an idea:

"They're worth far more than the famous 1909-S VDB penny – the rarest regular-issue Lincoln cent: The 1944 steel penny is worth between $75,000 and $110,000, depending on its condition. The 1943 copper cent — with only 40 made and 12 known to exist today — can command a price of around $150,000 to $200,000."
Link Posted: 12/16/2018 10:06:39 AM EDT
[#38]
Quoted:

View Quote
Really?  Probably 70% of the claims on this site are pure unadulterated BS that sadly, much like you do, the posters probably actually believe themselves.
Link Posted: 12/16/2018 10:14:47 AM EDT
[#39]
On topic of pennies, the older designs were so much better imo.

Link Posted: 12/16/2018 10:17:46 AM EDT
[#40]
Something tells me the only people who hoard copper pennies are the same ones who think old Reader's Digest magazines, baseball cards and beanie babies are good investments.  They also still mail in for the Publishers Clearing house sweepstakes every year.
Link Posted: 12/16/2018 10:40:56 AM EDT
[#41]
My six year old grandson's favorite place to go is The Enchanted Forest Water Safari in Old Forge NY.  There is money laying around everywhere and he scoops it all up.  Makes several dollars each visit.

Back in the late 1980's I found an envelope with a woman's name on it, on the floor of an elevator of a nice hotel in Alexandria. VA.   It had a C-Note inside.  I took it to the hotel manager.  He sort of smirked and told me keep it.  No one will be back for it.
Link Posted: 12/16/2018 10:46:35 AM EDT
[#42]
I used and old wheat penny once to make a new blade sight for my 1888 trapdoor
Link Posted: 12/16/2018 10:57:40 AM EDT
[#43]
Am I the only person that rarely uses coins?  I probably handle only $2-3/month in coins.  99% my purchases are made on a card.
Link Posted: 12/16/2018 12:48:28 PM EDT
[#44]
We walk at the mall on a lot of nights...yes I guess I'm old.  My 12 yo always checks the drink machines and coin returns etc.  He honestly finds between .75 and $1.50  most nights.about once a month we find cash.  Wife found a $100 bill and I have found $5s.  Last year wife found a meijer gift card with over $300 on it.  Luckily we were able to get it back to the owner.
Link Posted: 12/16/2018 1:39:02 PM EDT
[#45]
Pennies not included.

3 penny radio kit
Link Posted: 12/16/2018 1:44:38 PM EDT
[#46]
Quoted:

Where the fuck do live at to be picking up $375 a year just laying on the ground
View Quote
He’s the one swimming in the mall fountain picking up the wish coins
Link Posted: 12/16/2018 1:48:14 PM EDT
[#47]
It sure why...

They aren’t really worth anything moar than face value in reality.

No scrap metal place will take them. It’s illegal to melt them down and it’s only 95% copper. Not pure enough for electrical use and would have to be refined. Even if they could melt them you are not going to get spot copper prices.
Link Posted: 12/16/2018 1:48:15 PM EDT
[#48]
Quoted:
We walk at the mall on a lot of nights...yes I guess I'm old.  My 12 yo always checks the drink machines and coin returns etc.  He honestly finds between .75 and $1.50  most nights.about once a month we find cash.  Wife found a $100 bill and I have found $5s.  Last year wife found a meijer gift card with over $300 on it.  Luckily we were able to get it back to the owner.
View Quote
I felt pretty lucky a week or out so ago when I came out and found a ten dollar bill laying in front of my truck.
Felt even luckier when I reached into my pocket and realized it was mine and had fallen out of my pocket getting out and no one else had picked it up.
Eta: this is also why I hate carrying cash. If you lose it its just gone. Credit cards always for the win.

Hell,Id probably never get change besides what I found on the ground if I had a normal job and didnt do property cleanups.
Besides what I find on the job I make a scrapyard run every other day or so and get a few coins that way each time.
Link Posted: 12/16/2018 1:49:03 PM EDT
[#49]
People really do leave things of value just laying around.

A good place to look is in lockers in the locker room at the gym.  I carry a compact set of bolt cutters with me in my gym bag just for the purpose of looking for found treasures.

In fact, I found the bolt cutters just just laying in a utility-bed crew box on an AT&T truck parked at a diner back in '99.

There's lots of free stuff out there if you aren't too proud to look.
Link Posted: 12/16/2018 1:52:21 PM EDT
[#50]
Glad you and your daughter get quality time out of it, but it's not worth the time for any kind of financial gain.  Most people can work 15 minutes of OT and make more than a year of copper penny hoarding.
Page / 3
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top