Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Site Notices
Posted: 3/10/2023 4:36:15 PM EDT
I'm looking into a 357 Henry carbine with the side gate, case hardened receiver, and the octagonal barrel as my next gun.
Local shop says they no longer make them, or they are not making them at this time.
Never owned a Henry.
Are their guns decent?
Link Posted: 3/10/2023 4:37:04 PM EDT
[#1]
A JM stamped Marlin is moar better
Link Posted: 3/10/2023 4:37:22 PM EDT
[#2]
Nice quality rifles, very heavy so keep that in mind if you are going to carry in the field.

One on GB spendy

Says NIB in description and used above

Appears new
Link Posted: 3/10/2023 4:40:54 PM EDT
[#3]
Quoted:
I'm looking into a 357 Henry carbine with the side gate, case hardened receiver, and the octagonal barrel as my next gun.
Local shop says they no longer make them, or they are not making them at this time.
Never owned a Henry.
Are their guns decent?
View Quote

I have only owned one centerfired lever action rifle. It is a Henry. It is smooth. It is fun.

I put 50 rds through it and sent it off to be chopped and threaded.

Wife got me the .357 All Weather. So close to perfect.
Link Posted: 3/10/2023 4:52:07 PM EDT
[#4]
I was able to secure the exact make/model you described last year in February. It was in very high demand at the time and I definitely paid through the nose for it but dang do I like that gun!

I tried using gun.deals to find one but eventually had to settle to bidding on a few at Gunbroker. Good luck in your search.

Gun.Deals

Link Posted: 3/10/2023 4:52:54 PM EDT
[#5]
I've got a Henry Big Boy Steel in .44 magnum with a 20" barrel. It's a very well built rifle and I like it a lot. Mine doesn't have the side gate like the newer models.

It's a great shooter and very accurate. I tried shooting with iron sights at 100 yards and was surprised at how well it did as well as my own ability as I didnt have my glasses, just a spotting scope. Obviously I wouldn't attempt to kill an animal at that distance it was just fun practice.

It's pleasant to shoot with normal .44 magnum loads.

I would recommend the Henry brand.

https://www.henryusa.com/rifles/henry-big-boy-steel/

Side gate model:

https://www.henryusa.com/rifles/big-boy-steel-side-gate/
Link Posted: 3/11/2023 12:19:21 AM EDT
[#6]
I have seen the .357 X model with side gate in Fleet Farm last couple of trips there.  The brass receiver guns are the heavy ones.  https://www.henryusa.com/rifles/big-boy-color-case-hardened-side-gate/  They still make the one you mention (Weight 7.84 lbs with 20 in octagonal barrel) but they do production runs where they make certain things then change.  The X models are fairly available in all calibers right now at less than MSRP.
Link Posted: 3/11/2023 12:25:22 AM EDT
[#7]
I have that rifle. Haven’t shot it yet.

16” big boy color case hardened .357 with side gate

Link Posted: 3/11/2023 12:35:03 AM EDT
[#8]
Discussion ForumsJump to Quoted PostQuote History
Quoted:
View Quote

LOL.
Link Posted: 3/11/2023 12:51:09 AM EDT
[#9]
I would like to shoot one suppressed.
Link Posted: 3/11/2023 12:53:25 AM EDT
[#10]
Quoted:

LOL.
View Quote

It's the truth. I own various calibers made by both and the JM stamped Marlins always seem better made (better actions and triggers) and shoot better across a variety of loads and calibers. If you want fancy cowboy colors and case hardened shit for looks, Henry it is.
Link Posted: 3/11/2023 12:53:43 AM EDT
[#11]
Henry’s are fantastic. You will never find a Marlin, JM or otherwise as smooth out of the box as a Henry. I have 44s in both loading styles and highly recommend. Also they are top notch if you ever do have a problem. The loading gate is nice, but unless you are shooting with a suppressor I’ve never understood what all the fuss is about. I only say that because I’ve seen good deals on used pre gate models because some guys just “have” to have the loading gate. Either way they are a great deal.
Link Posted: 3/11/2023 1:23:05 AM EDT
[#12]

I'd knock that out.  Had to send mine back to get it extracting right.  Customer service was top-notch as expected.
Link Posted: 3/11/2023 1:48:38 AM EDT
[#13]
Ive got a bunch of Henrys: 22 lr, 22 Mag, 9mm, 44Mag, 410, 35 Rem and 2 z45-70s. All side loaders except the 22 Mag. 22lr is an AR7, 9 is a Homesteader

I have a shitton of Winchesters from 1887 to 2004 and 3 JM Marlins

Henry all the way
Link Posted: 3/11/2023 1:49:00 AM EDT
[#14]
Got a Model X a while back with the 16 inch barrel in 357 Magnum
It's a hoot to shoot with a Vortex Venom red dot on top
It's also cartoon-level quiet with a can and .38 specials
Link Posted: 3/11/2023 1:50:39 AM EDT
[#15]
I have a 44 mag X..love shooting it, and can’t wait for can to show up.
Link Posted: 3/11/2023 4:05:30 AM EDT
[#16]
I have a 16" .22 and a .44 X. The .22 is kind of a no brainer for the money ($360) lots of fun and very smooth. The X is probably my favorite rifle- tons of fun, very smooth and just enough thump to be fun (bad shoulders). I bought it to be a combo hunting rifle, fun gun, camp gun and for travel to family in California. Mine took a little bit to break in, maybe 50 rounds, but is fine now. I also went from only being able to get 7 in the tube to easily loading 8 rounds. .357 and .44 kick ass out of rifles; I bought 200 rounds of 180 grain Remington SPs and Lucky Gunner chrono'd them at over 2000fps from this exact model. I'm going to very mildly tac mine up- RPP handguard so I can have a side mounted light and sling, still need to figure out an optic. I'd love to use an Ashley Performance mount with a Leupold 2.5x20, I need to call and see if it will fit.
https://ashleyperformance.com/products/leveractionscopemount?variant=19960420696157

The Rossi 92's I've held over the last year have also been very nice. You'll spend a few hundred less too. I considered one but didn't want a straight stock, metal butt plate and the small loop. I'd also read in the past about Rossi .44's being oversized in the barrel, like .433, no idea if that's true.
Link Posted: 3/11/2023 7:03:46 AM EDT
[#17]
Quoted:
View Quote

Not hardly.  I own both and the Henry is better in every aspect
Link Posted: 3/11/2023 7:49:06 AM EDT
[#18]
Quoted:
View Quote

Yeah, NO.
Link Posted: 3/11/2023 7:52:38 AM EDT
[#19]
Quoted:
Never owned a Henry.
Are their guns decent?
View Quote

I have one, but I got the longer barrel (more rounds). Very accurate, well-made, you can replace the lever easily. Wood is very nice and upgradable. Finish is beautiful. Much gun for the price. You won't regret it.
Link Posted: 3/11/2023 7:54:14 AM EDT
[#20]
Quoted:
View Quote

Yes, the JM Marlin action is much smoother than the guns made by whichever company legally calls itself Henry nowadays.

Link Posted: 3/11/2023 8:25:02 PM EDT
[#22]
Link Posted: 3/11/2023 8:29:09 PM EDT
[#23]
I have exactly the one you mentioned. Paid under MSRP by ordering through cabelas. A bunch of both 38 and 357 through it and it’s great. Was my wife’s HD gun during an active shooter. Trust it 100%
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top