Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Site Notices
Arrow Left Previous Page
Page / 2
Posted: 11/14/2018 3:58:23 PM EDT
Been watching the vids on Youtube. Looks like its fun as hell and a bit scary as there are no doors ;) .

Hunting Hogs in TX
Link Posted: 11/14/2018 4:10:07 PM EDT
[#1]
Looks hard to hit them, needs full auto.
Link Posted: 11/14/2018 4:14:31 PM EDT
[#2]
Discussion ForumsJump to Quoted PostQuote History
Quoted:
View Quote
And insanely expensive from what I understand.

Like INSANE.  10K for a day or some such.
Link Posted: 11/14/2018 4:14:45 PM EDT
[#3]
I'm not the kind of guy to spend money on vacations, but this is something I've been trying to put some money away to do. It looks fun as fuck.
Link Posted: 11/14/2018 4:21:02 PM EDT
[#4]
Quoted:

View Quote View All Quotes
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

Depends on one’s definition of expensive, but a 2 hour hunt can be done for under $4G’s
Link Posted: 11/14/2018 4:27:31 PM EDT
[#5]
I’ve done it.

Frickin’ awesome.

We flew for about 4 hours, threw down about 1000 rounds, and killed about 100 hogs.  This was about 3 years ago and it was about $2500.  The guy flew out of his backyard and he was about 100 east of San Antonio.

If you can do ........DO IT!

Link Posted: 11/14/2018 5:13:28 PM EDT
[#6]
Quoted:
I’ve done it.

Frickin’ awesome.

We flew for about 4 hours, threw down about 1000 rounds, and killed about 100 hogs.  This was about 3 years ago and it was about $2500.  The guy flew out of his backyard and he was about 100 east of San Antonio.

https://www.AR15.Com/media/mediaFiles/161250/image-139095.jpg
View Quote
That sounds like an insanely awesome trip. I was thinking about doing this with a buddy. What did you do with the hogs afterwards?
Link Posted: 11/14/2018 5:14:23 PM EDT
[#7]
Quoted:
That sounds like an insanely awesome trip. I was thinking about doing this with a buddy. What did you do with the hogs afterwards?
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
I’ve done it.

Frickin’ awesome.

I've always wondered that too.
Link Posted: 11/14/2018 5:19:03 PM EDT
[#8]
Quoted:

View Quote
Coyotes have to eat, so do vultures.
Link Posted: 11/14/2018 5:23:30 PM EDT
[#9]
No hunting to it.
Call it what it is.
Link Posted: 11/14/2018 5:25:03 PM EDT
[#10]
I did it.  It was a blast.  The pilot got low and really moved us around giving both sides shots.  I had a 12 gauge 870 and a Colt 6920 with an eotech with me.  I took the AR.  Its harder than it looks.
Link Posted: 11/14/2018 5:25:47 PM EDT
[#11]
Quoted:
Anyone Here Gone Hog Hunting in Helicopters?
View Quote
a dozen times, in everything from Robinson R-44 to MD-500 Little Bird and UH-1 Huey
Link Posted: 11/14/2018 5:27:53 PM EDT
[#12]
Quoted:
a dozen times, in everything from Robinson R-44 to MD-500 Little Bird and UH-1 Huey
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
Are there areas that are better than others? If you aren't going to reserve all day is morning better than afternoon? Any advice you'd have for people who've never done it before that are looking to book a trip?
Link Posted: 11/14/2018 5:28:24 PM EDT
[#13]
Quoted:
I’ve done it.

Frickin’ awesome.

View Quote
Out of sheer curiosity, what to you do with the excess meat, that in which you can’t store or won’t eat? I mean a 100 hogs is a lot of protein....
Does the staff keep it or is there a donation process or something?
Link Posted: 11/14/2018 5:30:22 PM EDT
[#14]
Quoted:
No hunting to it.
Call it what it is.
View Quote
Pest Control
Link Posted: 11/14/2018 5:33:56 PM EDT
[#15]
Quoted:

Out of sheer curiosity, what to you do with the excess meat, that in which you can’t store or won’t eat? I mean a 100 hogs is a lot of protein....
View Quote
Link Posted: 11/14/2018 5:35:05 PM EDT
[#16]
It's on my bucket list.
Link Posted: 11/14/2018 5:37:54 PM EDT
[#17]

But in all seriousness, I hope that’s not the case
Link Posted: 11/14/2018 5:40:05 PM EDT
[#18]
Quoted:

But in all seriousness, I hope that’s not the case
View All Quotes
Why? Do you grill the flys you swat?
Link Posted: 11/14/2018 6:01:49 PM EDT
[#19]
Quoted:

View Quote
Whatever the varmints don’t scavenge, rots on the ground.  Nobody wants it.  The rule is, if the pig doesn’t fit into a 5gallon bucket.......it’s not worth eating.
Link Posted: 11/14/2018 6:13:29 PM EDT
[#20]
I watched a video where they were using 3 inch 00 Buck and the pilot was right down on the ground. Them shotguns would just roll them pigs over. So many pigs in the field looked like a checkerboard.

Talk about slaughter.
Link Posted: 11/14/2018 6:17:50 PM EDT
[#21]
Quoted:

View Quote
No but that’s a whole lot of good meat going to waste otherwise.

I’m just throwing it out there that it may not be the worst idea in the world harvest it too
Link Posted: 11/14/2018 6:18:41 PM EDT
[#22]
Quoted:

I’m just throwing it out there that it may not be the worst idea in the world harvest it too
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

Not really.
Link Posted: 11/14/2018 6:19:37 PM EDT
[#23]
Been on several.  Best hunt was 104 hogs in 2.5 hours...shooting a 223  ARs with red dots.  Good times.
Link Posted: 11/14/2018 6:22:54 PM EDT
[#24]
Quoted:

Not really.
View Quote
Maybe I don’t understand, is feral hog meat now considered “bad” and if so why?
Link Posted: 11/14/2018 6:24:51 PM EDT
[#25]
Quoted:
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
I want to party with you!
Link Posted: 11/14/2018 6:26:03 PM EDT
[#26]
Quoted:
Whatever the varmints don’t scavenge, rots on the ground.  Nobody wants it.  The rule is, if the pig doesn’t fit into a 5gallon bucket.......it’s not worth eating.
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

A lot of people don't seem to get this. These aren't farm raised pigs like you buy in the grocery store. About the only way to make it decent is to grind it into sausage and that's not even that great. All these people who think they are going to get a bunch of bacon, ham, chops or ribs are living in dreamland. They are edible, if you like eating meat with the texture and toughness of leather.
Link Posted: 11/14/2018 6:26:47 PM EDT
[#27]
Quoted:
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

Not really.
A. There’s millions of them, and they have 2-6 piglets in a litter. 3x a year.
B. They often have lots of parasites
C. Did I mention there are millions?
Link Posted: 11/14/2018 6:28:25 PM EDT
[#28]
Quoted:
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

Not really.
Hell no it’s not bad! That shit is delicious! Especially the small ones around 10-20lbs
Link Posted: 11/14/2018 6:34:49 PM EDT
[#29]
Quoted:
A lot of people don't seem to get this. These aren't farm raised pigs like you buy in the grocery store. About the only way to make it decent is to grind it into sausage and that's not even that great. All these people who think they are going to get a bunch of bacon, ham, chops or ribs are living in dreamland. They are edible, if you like eating meat with the texture and toughness of leather.
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:

It's not nearly as safe as grocery store pork, either.
Link Posted: 11/14/2018 6:36:41 PM EDT
[#30]
Link Posted: 11/14/2018 6:38:30 PM EDT
[#31]
Taking out hogs while flying overhead in a little bird is the most awesome thing to do with a firearm I have found so far. I get to do it often by invitation only and the friend has a ranch the size of some countries and own their own helicopters.   Just don't shoot the skids and enjoy the ride.

The meat of the smaller ones is delicious if prepared properly.

The pilot likes to make it fun so we get a lot of this before we settle down and shwack em.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=IX4fbsUsgc4
Link Posted: 11/14/2018 6:39:37 PM EDT
[#32]
Quoted:
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

So do hogs; thus solving the problem, once and for all
Link Posted: 11/14/2018 6:40:48 PM EDT
[#33]
Quoted:
I’ve done it.

Frickin’ awesome.

View Quote
I think that's at the Ranch I hunt at, a buddy of mine owns it...
Link Posted: 11/14/2018 6:41:47 PM EDT
[#34]
I would like to give it a try.
Link Posted: 11/14/2018 6:42:32 PM EDT
[#35]
On my list
Link Posted: 11/14/2018 6:47:02 PM EDT
[#36]
Quoted:
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

Wrong. Not worth skinning if they're that small. Depends on each individual animal. I've have 200+lb boars that tasted better than some 80 lb sows.

regardless, 90% of the hogs we shoot stay as buzzard food
Link Posted: 11/14/2018 6:58:37 PM EDT
[#37]
It’s fun.
They’re hard to hit till you get your timing down.
Use a brass catcher so your brass doesn’t go down the shirt of the guy in the front seat.

ETA: Be mindful of sweeping the rotors with your muzzle. That’s expensive.
Link Posted: 11/14/2018 7:05:36 PM EDT
[#38]
Quoted:

Depends on one’s definition of expensive, but a 2 hour hunt can be done for under $4G’s
View Quote
I would prefer a turbine helo, not a Robinson, so how does that effect prices?
Link Posted: 11/14/2018 7:11:41 PM EDT
[#39]
Yeah, I'm just gonna sit over here and be poor, shoot a few with my hipoint.
Link Posted: 11/14/2018 7:15:14 PM EDT
[#40]
Quoted:
Taking out hogs while flying overhead in a little bird is the most awesome thing to do with a firearm I have found so far. I get to do it often by invitation only and the friend has a ranch the size of some countries and own their own helicopters.   Just don't shoot the skids and enjoy the ride.

The meat of the smaller ones is delicious if prepared properly.

The pilot likes to make it fun so we get a lot of this before we settle down and shwack em.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=IX4fbsUsgc4
View Quote
Serious question - how do they stay on? It doesn't look like anyone's strapped in, or even holding on that much. Nor does centrifugal force seem like it'd be in play with half of those maneuvers.
Link Posted: 11/14/2018 7:15:59 PM EDT
[#41]
Quoted:
It’s fun.
They’re hard to hit till you get your timing down.
Use a brass catcher so your brass doesn’t go down the shirt of the guy in the front seat.

ETA: Be mindful of sweeping the rotors with your muzzle. That’s expensive.
View Quote
Lol

You didn’t actually...?
Link Posted: 11/14/2018 7:20:01 PM EDT
[#42]
Did it twice. Shot more coyotes than hogs. Actually killed 23 coyotes in one hour. It was during calving season and there were coyotes everywhere. Much fun and would highly recommend. Closest I'll ever come to being a door gunner on a space ship. The pilot was adamant we use his pump Benelli 12ga with buckshot. He was also very adamant we never point the muzzle skyward. Costs nowhere near $10k. He had a Robinson 22 and I think it was like $1k/hour. Supposedly going again later this month.
Link Posted: 11/14/2018 7:20:34 PM EDT
[#43]
Quoted:

View Quote
That's only kind of true. I stuck a 250lb boar in archery and let it hang for 5 days before having it made into sausage.... 1/2 is maple sausage links, the other 1/2 is cheddar/bacon brats. Everyone that's eaten them has raved. I'm sure some of the other cuts would suck, but you can make some damn good chow out of them.
Link Posted: 11/14/2018 7:21:20 PM EDT
[#44]
I wonder how often people make it a point to play Flight of the Valkyries while doing this. If you could get a hold of an M-60 and use that.....
Link Posted: 11/14/2018 7:22:10 PM EDT
[#45]
Quoted:
Did it twice. Shot more coyotes than hogs. Actually killed 23 coyotes in one hour. It was during calving season and there were coyotes everywhere. Much fun and would highly recommend. Closest I'll ever come to being a door gunner on a space ship. The pilot was adamant we use his pump Benelli 12ga with buckshot. He was also very adamant we never point the muzzle skyward. Costs nowhere near $10k. He had a Robinson 22 and I think it was like $1k/hour. Supposedly going again later this month.
View Quote
I think the 10k was from an all day (several hours) in a jet ranger or 500.  Robinsons are much cheaper to operate, particularly an R22
Link Posted: 11/14/2018 7:28:15 PM EDT
[#46]
Quoted:

Lol

You didn’t actually...?
View Quote
No, but after I left SFT I earned my A&P at a Robbie service center in TX. One day going through the logs of an old T-55 I noticed one blade was much younger than the others.

Guess why...
Link Posted: 11/14/2018 7:40:45 PM EDT
[#47]
Link Posted: 11/14/2018 7:51:54 PM EDT
[#48]
Quoted:
I've done it.

Frickin' awesome.

View Quote
Link Posted: 11/14/2018 7:57:12 PM EDT
[#49]
Yeah....thats on my bucket list!!!
Link Posted: 11/14/2018 7:58:36 PM EDT
[#50]
@hrt4me
@theredgoat
Arrow Left Previous Page
Page / 2
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top