Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Page / 14
Link Posted: 12/22/2017 7:45:53 PM EDT
[#1]
Discussion ForumsJump to Quoted PostQuote History
Quoted:
It's an oddball thing to look for nowadays. Does it have left handed lug nuts? There will be an L stamped on the end of the studs. Normally they are on the drivers side.
View Quote
Funny story with me and a inside flat, left side, Dana 70. 8' pipe and I STILL couldn't break them lose, just break them off.
LH thread.
Link Posted: 12/22/2017 7:53:40 PM EDT
[#2]
Quoted:
Don't give up on it once you get it home.
View Quote
This.   What a great story this is.   What memories are made of.
Link Posted: 12/22/2017 7:59:39 PM EDT
[#3]
Is the paint still solid and able to be restored or will it need paint for protection of metal?
Link Posted: 12/22/2017 8:01:47 PM EDT
[#4]
Awseome. Still better than the 56 Packard project I gave up on. It was a barn find deal and had the pushbutton drive. Of course it didn't work and was stuck in park and made loading it onto the trailer fun.

Engine ran great, body was perfect original condition. Was able to make the transmission work but not at the buttons. Had to crawl under it to get it into drive or park.
Link Posted: 12/22/2017 8:02:35 PM EDT
[#5]
Link Posted: 12/22/2017 8:09:37 PM EDT
[#6]
A for effort!
Now spray every bolt on there so it has time to soak in on its way home.
Link Posted: 12/22/2017 8:21:19 PM EDT
[#7]
Quoted:
It's an oddball thing to look for nowadays. Does it have left handed lug nuts? There will be an L stamped on the end of the studs. Normally they are on the drivers side.
View Quote View All Quotes
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

Yeah we figured that out before we started. Although we were probably spinning the starter motor the wrong way at first when we were troubleshooting it.  
Negative, and it actually doesn’t even have lug nuts.

It’s bolts that go through the wheels into the drum.  There is a pin to help with alignment.
Link Posted: 12/22/2017 8:27:41 PM EDT
[#8]
Quoted:

Negative, and it actually doesn't even have lug nuts.

It's bolts that go through the wheels into the drum.  There is a pin to help with alignment.
View Quote
Lug studs, it's been a while since I've worked on one.
Link Posted: 12/22/2017 8:28:57 PM EDT
[#9]
Quoted:
Great effort OP.
If I where you I'd yank the tranny

<snip>
View Quote
Phrasing man, phrasing...

Link Posted: 12/22/2017 8:34:15 PM EDT
[#10]
Well it fits his screen name.
Link Posted: 12/22/2017 8:45:06 PM EDT
[#11]
Quoted:
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Valid point.  
Link Posted: 12/22/2017 8:57:35 PM EDT
[#12]
Thanks for such a cool thread.  The best part was you giving the old lady a ride and bringing back memories for her.  Trailer it home and fix it proper now before major damage occurs.
Link Posted: 12/22/2017 8:58:51 PM EDT
[#13]
Quoted:
God no.  

That car is a piece of American history.  There's thousands and thousands of cars like you describe.  Very few unmolested Detroit Iron of that vintage relatively speaking.
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
Unless you were doing a factory restoration, I'd be converting that thing to 12V in a heartbeat.

And throw in an Alpine, a Punch45, and two Fosgate 15's in the trunk.

God no.  

That car is a piece of American history.  There's thousands and thousands of cars like you describe.  Very few unmolested Detroit Iron of that vintage relatively speaking.
Google "satire".  
Link Posted: 12/23/2017 9:40:57 AM EDT
[#14]
Quoted:

I'm thinking it's an automatic from the pictures posted earlier, in which case....  Uh, no.

I really wanted to ask about it but didn't want to jinx them.  Automatics that have sat for many years usually don't take too kindly to this sort of thing.  
View Quote
True. I know of low mile classic cars not near as old as the OP's that sat in storage for only a couple years and had transmission issues.   Once the clutch packs and seals dry out in an automatic its rebuild time.  Got to run them at least a few times a year to keep everything inside "wet".
Link Posted: 12/23/2017 9:59:58 AM EDT
[#15]
Keep us up on your efforts to get the tranny fixed. This is a thread I looked forward to every day.
Link Posted: 12/23/2017 1:39:03 PM EDT
[#16]
I pulled an all original 49 Buick out of an old garage in Oakland CA back in the fabulous 80's. 31,000 original miles. Much of the same stuff OP is going thru to get running and when it finally fired up I took it for a short drive around the block for the first time and fully expected to hear 50's rock n roll through the radio.

Anyway when I pulled it into the garage the trans was leaking from every possible seal and gasket you could find. That old DynaFlow needed a rebuild which in and of itself was a journey.

That thing kept on ticking for several yrs until we parted ways. Ahhhhh the memories. I love stories like this.
Link Posted: 12/23/2017 2:42:53 PM EDT
[#17]
Oops, wrong thread
Link Posted: 12/23/2017 9:35:43 PM EDT
[#18]
If the car is close enough when it gets home I'll come out and help.
Link Posted: 12/24/2017 12:34:16 AM EDT
[#19]
Quoted:
If the car is close enough when it gets home I'll come out and help.
View Quote
How close are you to Paris?
Link Posted: 12/24/2017 12:38:19 AM EDT
[#20]
Quoted:

How close are you to Paris?
View Quote
About 2.5 hours south. Not too bad just let me know.

The Derailers - All The Rage In Paris
Link Posted: 1/1/2018 12:44:31 AM EDT
[#22]
Link Posted: 1/1/2018 1:02:12 AM EDT
[#23]
Quoted:
I don't know if it's been mentioned, but remember that I believe it's a 6 volt positive ground system in these era Packards.
View Quote
All six volt systems are positive ground.
Link Posted: 1/1/2018 1:05:24 AM EDT
[#24]
Quoted:
View Quote
IIRC, Chrysler was the only car manufacturer that did that. The lefties were on the left, righties on the right.
Link Posted: 1/1/2018 1:07:20 AM EDT
[#25]
Quoted:

IIRC, Chrysler was the only car manufacturer that did that. The lefties were on the left, righties on the right.
View Quote
I think desoto did it also but it's been a while since I've done one. My M35 does also.
Link Posted: 1/1/2018 1:10:40 AM EDT
[#26]
Quoted:
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
Pre 65 Buick, Olds and Pontiacs had left hand lug nuts.
Link Posted: 1/16/2018 7:49:07 AM EDT
[#27]
So . . . did OP make it to Texas, get arrested in California, abducted by aliens, get lost in the Rockies, or what?

Inquiring minds want to know.

This thread kind of died without closure.
Link Posted: 1/16/2018 9:51:30 AM EDT
[#28]
Quoted:
So . . . did OP make it to Texas, get arrested in California, abducted by aliens, get lost in the Rockies, or what?

View Quote
I agree. I want an update!
Link Posted: 1/16/2018 10:47:43 AM EDT
[#29]
Quoted:
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
I don't know if it's been mentioned, but remember that I believe it's a 6 volt positive ground system in these era Packards.
Learn something every day.
Link Posted: 1/16/2018 10:54:51 AM EDT
[#30]
Quoted:
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

He didn't make it.
Link Posted: 1/16/2018 12:09:39 PM EDT
[#31]
Quoted:
View Quote
No, not all of them.

Chevrolets were negative ground all the way up until they went to 12V in 1955.

Link Posted: 1/16/2018 12:17:42 PM EDT
[#32]
Quoted:
I think desoto did it also but it's been a while since I've done one. My M35 does also.
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

Ummm...DeSoto was a Chrysler brand.  Slotted in between Dodge and Chrysler, it died in 1960 (one month after introducing the 1961 models).

My 1954 M37 military 3/4-ton truck (designed and manufactured by Dodge) also has left hand lug nuts.
Link Posted: 1/16/2018 12:21:49 PM EDT
[#33]
Quoted:
Awseome. Still better than the 56 Packard project I gave up on. It was a barn find deal and had the pushbutton drive. Of course it didn't work and was stuck in park and made loading it onto the trailer fun.

Engine ran great, body was perfect original condition. Was able to make the transmission work but not at the buttons. Had to crawl under it to get it into drive or park.
View Quote
Those Packard pushbutton transmission controls were a problem from day one.  Moisture in the button pod caused the electrical contacts to fail.  Autolite (the company that made the controls for Packard) even destroyed the tooling a few years later to prevent any service parts runs from being made.
Link Posted: 1/16/2018 2:33:54 PM EDT
[#34]
UPDATE:

I've spent the last month dealing with shipping companies that would make a used mule salesman look professional. These guys are a real pain.

I finally have a driver lined up. They're supposed to pick the car up in an hour and a half from now. It should be delivered here in Texas next weekend if all goes well.

I'm also making a movie. I haven't had time to work on it lately, but I'll post and update when its finally done.
Link Posted: 1/16/2018 2:39:47 PM EDT
[#35]
Quoted:

UPDATE:

I've spent the last month dealing with shipping companies that would make a used mule salesman look professional. These guys are a real pain.

I finally have a driver lined up. They're supposed to pick the car up in an hour and a half from now. It should be delivered here in Texas next weekend if all goes well.

I'm also making a movie. I haven't had time to work on it lately, but I'll post and update when its finally done.
View Quote
Can't wait to see it.
Link Posted: 1/16/2018 2:42:42 PM EDT
[#36]
Thanks for keeping the car and thread alive!
Link Posted: 1/16/2018 4:41:00 PM EDT
[#37]
Just got a call, the guy is there and can’t get his truck in the driveway. I really hope it starts so they can drive it on through the road.  Otherwise I’m F’d.

Super nervous right now. Nothing I can do but sit back and wait.
Link Posted: 1/16/2018 5:03:33 PM EDT
[#38]
It made it on the trailer!!! Super excited. Should be here Saturday or Sunday. Time to wait....
Link Posted: 1/16/2018 5:06:41 PM EDT
[#39]
Hope it makes it safe and sound!
Link Posted: 1/16/2018 6:03:20 PM EDT
[#40]
OP, once you get it in shape and running reliably you have to drive what’s left of Route 66.
Link Posted: 1/16/2018 6:17:54 PM EDT
[#41]
Quoted:
View Quote
That is not right and terrible to tell people who may blow out a hard to find voltage regulator or instrument cluster if they don't know better

Its on a manufacturer by manufacturer basis, all of the old chevy's I've worked on back to 1929 are negative ground. A lot of old fords are positive ground including their tractors (8n is positive ground). Look it up if you aren't sure before assuming blindly.

ETA,

OP, I'm super excited to keep reading about your adventure and can't wait to see pics when it gets to its new home!
Link Posted: 1/21/2018 1:34:18 PM EDT
[#42]
Link Posted: 1/21/2018 7:34:25 PM EDT
[#43]
Lol that’s a new one on me.

Eta is 1 hour. And we have a thunderstorm and tornado alerts here...
Link Posted: 1/21/2018 7:51:21 PM EDT
[#44]
Glad it's making it's way to it's new home!
Link Posted: 1/21/2018 9:04:26 PM EDT
[#45]
Quoted:

Lol that's a new one on me.

Eta is 1 hour. And we have a thunderstorm and tornado alerts here...
View Quote
May the car enjoy it's new home.
Link Posted: 1/21/2018 9:07:37 PM EDT
[#46]
Quoted:

View Quote
Nash did also.
Link Posted: 1/21/2018 9:16:52 PM EDT
[#47]
Bump for when it arrives.
Link Posted: 1/21/2018 10:05:59 PM EDT
[#48]
Made it!

More updates coming tomorrow, I’m out for the night.

Attachment Attached File

Attachment Attached File
Link Posted: 1/21/2018 10:06:57 PM EDT
[#49]
Also as a consolation for not driving it from Oregon, I’m thinking about taking it to CWTIII assuming I can it roadworthy and get a spot.
Link Posted: 1/21/2018 10:08:24 PM EDT
[#50]
Page / 14
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top