BCM
User Panel

Page / 14
Next Page Arrow Left
Link Posted: 1/22/2018 11:48:43 AM EDT
[#1]
Discussion ForumsJump to Quoted PostQuote History
Quoted:

Also as a consolation for not driving it from Oregon, I’m thinking about taking it to CWTIII assuming I can it roadworthy and get a spot.
View Quote
And there it is... Everything ties in to Cola Warrior at some point.
Link Posted: 1/22/2018 11:54:39 AM EDT
[#2]
Quoted:

Also as a consolation for not driving it from Oregon, I'm thinking about taking it to CWTIII assuming I can it roadworthy and get a spot.
View Quote
I bet it can be ready for that.
Link Posted: 1/22/2018 4:52:18 PM EDT
[#3]
What a beauty! Please keep us updated on progress!
Link Posted: 1/27/2018 4:09:29 AM EDT
[#4]
@m35ben or anybody else that’s rebuild a generator...

I can’t figure out how to get it the rest of the way apart. Are the coils pressed onto the shaft? I need to get to the bearing. The bearing housing is held in by screws I’m pointing to with the screwdriver.

Attachment Attached File
Link Posted: 1/27/2018 4:12:46 AM EDT
[#5]
Quoted:

@m35ben or anybody else that's rebuild a generator...

I can't figure out how to get it the rest of the way apart. Are the coils pressed onto the shaft? I need to get to the bearing. The bearing housing is held in by screws I'm pointing to with the screwdriver.

https://www.AR15.Com/media/mediaFiles/236406/A9D6A761-AA6C-4D95-AE1D-08E5474BD1D4-432578.JPG
View Quote
I'm not sure I'll ask my alternator guy when I see him.
Link Posted: 1/27/2018 4:25:58 AM EDT
[#6]
a picture of the other side of the plate would be helpful to be sure but:

that shaft is just stuck to the bad bearing and should be able to be removed but may take some gentle coercion.

the coils are built onto the shaft and not removable. (at least none that I've ever seen)

get the shaft out of the plate and then the screws will be accessible.

I think it'll look like this when you get the shaft out

looks like ebay item 162156412271
Link Posted: 1/27/2018 4:35:48 AM EDT
[#7]
Here is a pic of the other side of the shaft. Think I just need to remove that key then bash with hammer?

Attachment Attached File
Link Posted: 1/27/2018 4:44:02 AM EDT
[#8]
yep, it's just frozen on there from half a century of being there. Get the key out first, put the nut back on to protect the threads, then go at it with a dead blow carefully
Link Posted: 1/27/2018 5:07:47 AM EDT
[#9]
I might be able to get my pulley puller on there. I’ll try that first.
Link Posted: 1/27/2018 5:27:44 AM EDT
[#10]
thats a great idea!

just be sure to grab it right at the bearing, not out at the outside edge of the housing. That part appears to be cast and will probably break if you put the puller jaws at the outside.
Link Posted: 1/27/2018 7:26:03 AM EDT
[#11]
Quoted:
thats a great idea!

just be sure to grab it right at the bearing, not out at the outside edge of the housing. That part appears to be cast and will probably break if you put the puller jaws at the outside.
View Quote
Truth.  Also try penetrating oil and heat.
Link Posted: 1/27/2018 7:34:42 AM EDT
[#12]
Kroil it for a few days before trying to get it apart. A puller is the best way, do not use anything steel to hit the threaded shaft, put the nut back on flush before you commence to whackin. I still use a oak 4x4 piece against something I can't risk ruining if a proper puller can't be used.
Link Posted: 1/27/2018 7:56:58 AM EDT
[#13]
Link Posted: 1/27/2018 9:38:57 AM EDT
[#14]
Quoted:
Kroil it for a few days before trying to get it apart. A puller is the best way, do not use anything steel to hit the threaded shaft, put the nut back on flush before you commence to whackin. I still use a oak 4x4 piece against something I can't risk ruining if a proper puller can't be used.
View Quote
Great advice here. I would also hit it with a heat gun on high for a bit before getting started. I wouldn't want to damage the winding, otherwise I would recommend just using a map gas torch.
Link Posted: 1/27/2018 11:17:23 AM EDT
[#15]
I'm all for brute force but bashing it with hammer can ruin the casting, then your fucked.

Heat, oil , press or puller

I would bring it to my local electrical shop they would replace the bearing and check/rehab the windings.
Shouldnt cost much.
Good luck
Link Posted: 1/27/2018 11:44:08 AM EDT
[#16]
Link Posted: 1/27/2018 12:14:39 PM EDT
[#17]
Ok I got the housing to budge on the shaft, and I think I can get it out the rest of the way from here.

Now the flipping key is stuck. I’ve got the shaft in the freezer trying to cool it. Works on stuck AK parts anyway.

In the meantime I’m working on the top assembly. I got the old bushing out but it has a slot to let oil in. My new one doesn’t. Do I just cut a slot in the same place? Both bushings have the same part number GGU-38

Attachment Attached File
Link Posted: 1/27/2018 12:17:50 PM EDT
[#18]
Quoted:

Ok I got the housing to budge on the shaft, and I think I can get it out the rest of the way from here.

Now the flipping key is stuck....
View Quote
Welcome to old cars. Do not hurt the threads by beating the hell out of them.
Link Posted: 1/27/2018 12:20:52 PM EDT
[#19]
I would take it to a shop that rebuilds generators or electric motors. They will clean it up like brand new and you won’t ever have problems with it. If you were in San Antonio I could give you a list of places; but any large city will have them.
Link Posted: 1/27/2018 12:37:11 PM EDT
[#20]
Quoted:
I would take it to a shop that rebuilds generators or electric motors. They will clean it up like brand new and you won’t ever have problems with it. If you were in San Antonio I could give you a list of places; but any large city will have them.
View Quote
That would be easier, but I live about 200 miles from where I’m storing the car so I’m just able to work on it on weekends when I’m down here with it. I really wanted to get it fixed today. I think this is the last piece keeping me from driving it.
Link Posted: 1/27/2018 1:45:23 PM EDT
[#21]
I wouldn't cut into that new bushing. It could be an upgraded, oil-impregnated bushing that self-lubricates.
Link Posted: 1/27/2018 1:52:24 PM EDT
[#22]
Quoted:

Now the flipping key is stuck. I’ve got the shaft in the freezer trying to cool it. Works on stuck AK parts anyway.

In the meantime I’m working on the top assembly. I got the old bushing out but it has a slot to let oil in. My new one doesn’t. Do I just cut a slot in the same place? Both bushings have the same part number GGU-38

https://www.AR15.Com/media/mediaFiles/236406/C9189604-D7A6-4EE9-B067-DF405B9741E9-432799.JPG
View Quote
I've never worked on that model so this is just from similar work I've done.

Did the bushing housing have a lube access point that lined up with the notch in the bushing?  Might look like a zerk fitting.
If it has one and you can cut/clean/debur the bushing making it perfect I would.
If you aren't comfortable making the bushing perfect after the cut and just want to get it back together I would use it as is.
As is is going to do its job uncut, if you mess it up cutting it your fucked.
Good luck
Link Posted: 1/28/2018 1:04:21 PM EDT
[#23]
Ok I got it rebuilt and tried it out.

The bearing on the back side was definitely toast.

However, it is still making a different rattling scraping sound when under load. It goes away if I unhook the wires. What could cause it to rattle under load but sound fine without the wires?
Link Posted: 1/28/2018 1:08:07 PM EDT
[#24]
Quoted:

However, it is still making a different rattling scraping sound when under load. It goes away if I unhook the wires. What could cause it to rattle under load but sound fine without the wires?
View Quote
It is under load due to magnetism when the wires are hooked up and charging the battery. Unhook the wires and the load goes away.
Link Posted: 1/28/2018 1:28:01 PM EDT
[#25]
Quoted:
It is under load due to magnetism when the wires are hooked up and charging the battery. Unhook the wires and the load goes away.
View Quote View All Quotes
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

Right, I realize that. Wondering what specific component would screech under load but be fine without the wires.
Link Posted: 1/28/2018 2:16:12 PM EDT
[#26]
Quoted:

Right, I realize that. Wondering what specific component would screech under load but be fine without the wires.
View Quote
Screech under load? Belt slipping. While it's running with the belt on, spritz a little water on the pulley, if the noise changes, it's the belt slipping on the pulley.
Link Posted: 1/28/2018 3:07:39 PM EDT
[#27]
Quoted:
Screech under load? Belt slipping. While it's running with the belt on, spritz a little water on the pulley, if the noise changes, it's the belt slipping on the pulley.
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

Nah not belt slipping. We can duplicate it with it in park and can hear it coming from inside the gen with a stethoscope. Just can’t figure out what part in there is try rubbing or whatever.
Link Posted: 1/28/2018 3:09:21 PM EDT
[#28]
Quoted:

Nah not belt slipping. We can duplicate it with it in park and can hear it coming from inside the gen with a stethoscope. Just can’t figure out what part in there is try rubbing or whatever.
View Quote
Is it charging?  Do you have a way to measure output?

Disassemble and examine.  If nothing is obvious, spray with some machinist marking compound, reassemble, run briefly, disassemble again.
Link Posted: 1/28/2018 3:11:41 PM EDT
[#29]
Quoted:

View Quote
Is it loud? It may just be the bushings/bearings seating against the armature. I'd dribble a bit of turbine oil into them and see if that changes the noise. did you measure the armature shaft against the new bushings to see if they mike out OK?
Link Posted: 1/28/2018 3:16:26 PM EDT
[#30]
Quoted:
Is it loud? It may just be the bushings/bearings seating against the armature. I'd dribble a bit of turbine oil into them and see if that changes the noise. did you measure the armature shaft against the new bushings to see if they mike out OK?
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

Kinda loud and increases with rpm. I didn’t measure the new bushing, just installed it. First time it was super tight. I took it back apart and beveled the lip a little bit and it fit a lot smoother after that.
Link Posted: 1/28/2018 3:18:09 PM EDT
[#31]
Quoted:
Kinda loud and increases with rpm. I didn’t measure the new bushing, just installed it. First time it was super tight. I took it back apart and beveled the lip a little bit and it fit a lot smoother after that.
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:

Were the armature ends [the sides that ride against the bushings] smooth or grooved in any way? Is the bushing spinning against the mounting plate instead of stationary and the armature spinning against the bushing?
Link Posted: 1/28/2018 3:32:54 PM EDT
[#32]
Quoted:
Were the armature ends [the sides that ride against the bushings] smooth or grooved in any way? Is the bushing spinning against the mounting plate instead of stationary and the armature spinning against the bushing?
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:

I hope not. I guess I could take it apart and see if that oil groove is still lined up in the bushing.
Link Posted: 2/4/2018 2:35:55 AM EDT
[#33]
Ok charging system has me all scrambled up still.

I got the generator put back together and running smooth. It was outputting 8v at idle.

It ran fine for about 20 miles then the gen light came on. Voltage was scattered all over and couldn’t get a good reading. I suspect something went wrong with the regulator and caused it to over heat. I took it apart again and put it back together. It’s charging again.

It puts out 8v at idle, but climbs with rpm up to 13 or 15v pretty quick. Shouldn’t the regulator be preventing that if it is functioning properly?

I took the voltage regulator out and tried to set the gaps as per the service manual. It’s been replaced somewhere along the way and looks brand new inside.  Still getting the same result after setting the gaps.
Link Posted: 2/4/2018 3:17:54 AM EDT
[#34]
Quoted:

I got the generator put back together and running smooth. It was outputting 8v at idle.

It ran fine for about 20 miles then the gen light came on. Voltage was scattered all over and couldn't get a good reading. I suspect something went wrong with the regulator and caused it to over heat. I took it apart again and put it back together. It's charging again.

It puts out 8v at idle, but climbs with rpm up to 13 or 15v pretty quick. Shouldn't the regulator be preventing that if it is functioning properly?

I took the voltage regulator out and tried to set the gaps as per the service manual. It's been replaced somewhere along the way and looks brand new inside.  Still getting the same result after setting the gaps.
View Quote
Throw the generator away and put a one wire Delco alternator on it and convert it over.
Link Posted: 2/4/2018 10:50:24 AM EDT
[#35]
I have never worked on a car that old.

the 60's voltage regs however I know pretty well.

ground generally affects output voltage as well as sensing line voltage.

if either were changed in that 20 miles you could have those problems.

I generally run an extra ground wire to the casing of the vr. Since it usually is only grounded by the screws holding it onto the firewall.

I also run a relay power source to it from the battery.
This eliminates the power drop that usually occurs from passing through the bulkhead connector.

not sure if this helps, but something to check if it applies.
Link Posted: 2/10/2018 12:11:19 AM EDT
[#36]
Quoted:
Throw the generator away and put a one wire Delco alternator on it and convert it over.
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

It ran fine for about 20 miles then the gen light came on. Voltage was scattered all over and couldn't get a good reading. I suspect something went wrong with the regulator and caused it to over heat. I took it apart again and put it back together. It's charging again.

It puts out 8v at idle, but climbs with rpm up to 13 or 15v pretty quick. Shouldn't the regulator be preventing that if it is functioning properly?

I took the voltage regulator out and tried to set the gaps as per the service manual. It's been replaced somewhere along the way and looks brand new inside.  Still getting the same result after setting the gaps.
Link Posted: 2/10/2018 12:40:03 AM EDT
[#37]
Quoted:
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

They also make alternators that look like and fit where the generator is.  Much better option.
Link Posted: 2/10/2018 1:12:02 AM EDT
[#38]
ost
Link Posted: 2/10/2018 11:40:01 AM EDT
[#39]
Quoted:

View Quote
Did you force the field?

Generator - How to Polarize at the Regulator
Link Posted: 2/10/2018 12:33:01 PM EDT
[#40]
Quoted:
They also make alternators that look like and fit where the generator is.  Much better option.
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:

I did that exact same thing with my Fairlane, highly recommended.  It makes for a much more reliable car for damn sure, that and a Mallory unilite or similar points conversion ignition.  Looks stock on the outside but is all electronic ignition and charging on the inside.
Link Posted: 2/13/2018 11:20:16 AM EDT
[#41]
Quoted:
Did you force the field?

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=PPUfQtVEJGg
View Quote
I did not.

But my understanding is that it shouldn't need it if its generating. The problem is it seems to be over generating.
Link Posted: 2/13/2018 2:00:59 PM EDT
[#42]
Quoted:

I did not.

But my understanding is that it shouldn't need it if its generating. The problem is it seems to be over generating.
View Quote
Are you sure you don't have a 12-volt regulator in there? I've seen quite a few examples of people slamming in a 12 volt battery and 12 volt regulator and calling it converted.
Link Posted: 2/13/2018 2:29:27 PM EDT
[#43]
... admittedly, I've not kept up on this thread. Using a map, where are you now?
Link Posted: 2/13/2018 6:45:59 PM EDT
[#44]
Quoted:
... admittedly, I've not kept up on this thread. Using a map, where are you now?
View Quote
I’m drank in a bar in Bahrain.

Car is in Texas.

I had to have it shipped there, didn’t trust the trans.
Link Posted: 2/13/2018 6:46:56 PM EDT
[#45]
Quoted:
Are you sure you don't have a 12-volt regulator in there? I've seen quite a few examples of people slamming in a 12 volt battery and 12 volt regulator and calling it converted.
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

I did not.

Yeah part numbers check out as oem generator. Pretty sure it’s original.
Link Posted: 2/13/2018 7:43:24 PM EDT
[#46]
Is it an externally regulated generator?  And is the regulator 6v?
Link Posted: 2/13/2018 8:07:17 PM EDT
[#47]
Quoted:
yep, it's just frozen on there from half a century of being there. Get the key out first, put the nut back on to protect the threads, then go at it with a dead blow carefully
View Quote
nvm

ditch the generator
Link Posted: 2/13/2018 10:59:23 PM EDT
[#48]
Quoted:
View Quote
Yes to both.
Link Posted: 2/14/2018 12:02:23 AM EDT
[#49]
Quoted:
Yes to both.
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
Yes to both.
A generator is nothing but an electric motor that's turned by a belt.  If you can remove the belt and motorize the generator by hooking battery cables to it, then there's no problem with your generator.  You can also check to see if it's charging by temporarily hooking a jumper wire from the "F" terminal (field) to ground.  That's called "full fielding" the generator and it should run wide open and the voltage output will go way up.  Either one of those tests should verify that the generator is good, but it sounds like you've already verified that much.

If it's overcharging, the problem is either the regulator or a poor ground.  If you study a schematic of the system, it's a really basic setup and not much to go bad.  My money's on the regulator.

http://www.netlink.net/mp/volks/htm/gen.htm

Quoted:

It puts out 8v at idle, but climbs with rpm up to 13 or 15v pretty quick. Shouldn’t the regulator be preventing that if it is functioning properly?
You know, after going back and re-reading what you wrote earlier, it almost sounds like the wire from the "F" terminal on the generator to the "F" terminal on the regulator might be shorted to ground somewhere along it's path.  Sounds like there is something "full fielding" the generator.  Check it very closely and if you don't see anything obvious, make yourself a new one, unhook both ends of the original and see if it changes with the new one on there.  If it's not the wire itself, I suspect that something along the path of the "F" terminal inside the regulator is shorted to ground.
Link Posted: 2/14/2018 2:37:13 AM EDT
[#50]
Quoted:
A generator is nothing but an electric motor that's turned by a belt.  If you can remove the belt and motorize the generator by hooking battery cables to it, then there's no problem with your generator.  You can also check to see if it's charging by temporarily hooking a jumper wire from the "F" terminal (field) to ground.  That's called "full fielding" the generator and it should run wide open and the voltage output will go way up.  Either one of those tests should verify that the generator is good, but it sounds like you've already verified that much.

If it's overcharging, the problem is either the regulator or a poor ground.  If you study a schematic of the system, it's a really basic setup and not much to go bad.  My money's on the regulator.

You know, after going back and re-reading what you wrote earlier, it almost sounds like the wire from the "F" terminal on the generator to the "F" terminal on the regulator might be shorted to ground somewhere along it's path.  Sounds like there is something "full fielding" the generator.  Check it very closely and if you don't see anything obvious, make yourself a new one, unhook both ends of the original and see if it changes with the new one on there.  If it's not the wire itself, I suspect that something along the path of the "F" terminal inside the regulator is shorted to ground.
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:
Yes to both.

Quoted:

What you wrote at the end there sounds right and kinda makes sense. I’ll check around for that when I get home.

One more weird thing it’s doing, is still producing output voltage when I manually force the contacts open on the voltage and current regulators.  Seems like that should kill it.

The circuit breaker to prevent back flow works right and closes as voltage comes up, but somethings gotta be shorted through the other two.
Page / 14
Next Page Arrow Left
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top