Discussion ForumsJump to Quoted PostQuote History
Originally Posted By guns762:

tens of thousands......  
View Quote View All Quotes
View All Quotes
Originally Posted By Sparks556:
He actually was the cause of my gun addiction....grew up in martial arts, always was a blade man... Guns762 asked me to come try his ar..... Now 14 years after that first trigger I blame him for the thousands and thousands of dollars of pure happiness he introduced me to... Changed my life forever and became my best buddy... Amazing teacher....is a understatement....I know of quite a few kids he literally changed their lives.... Good dude...ok enough of the mushy stuff from me... Guns we need a mini torpedo hanging in the air with the tail of a second sub coming outta the wall...just saying...maybe some fake bubbles some how... Epic

tens of thousands......  

I blame you.... Sadly this is just some...ok not really a sad thing.... Pretty much a epic awosome American thing!!!!

But seriously..... Torpedo...
Link Posted: 8/29/2015 9:30:08 AM EDT
[#2]
Originally Posted By CLICKBANGBANG:
A few dupes. A few more.
View Quote

Thanks!
Link Posted: 8/29/2015 10:04:25 AM EDT
[#3]

I blame you.... Sadly this is just some...ok not really a sad thing.... Pretty much a epic awosome American thing!!!!
<a href="http://s1303.photobucket.com/user/sparks556/media/Z10_zps81047291.jpg.html" target="_blank">http://i1303.photobucket.com/albums/ag145/sparks556/Z10_zps81047291.jpg</a>

View All Quotes
He actually was the cause of my gun addiction....grew up in martial arts, always was a blade man... Guns762 asked me to come try his ar..... Now 14 years after that first trigger I blame him for the thousands and thousands of dollars of pure happiness he introduced me to... Changed my life forever and became my best buddy... Amazing teacher....is a understatement....I know of quite a few kids he literally changed their lives.... Good dude...ok enough of the mushy stuff from me... Guns we need a mini torpedo hanging in the air with the tail of a second sub coming outta the wall...just saying...maybe some fake bubbles some how... Epic

tens of thousands......  

<a href="http://s1303.photobucket.com/user/sparks556/media/Z10_zps81047291.jpg.html" target="_blank">http://i1303.photobucket.com/albums/ag145/sparks556/Z10_zps81047291.jpg</a>

The sombrero really ties it together.
Link Posted: 8/29/2015 3:32:31 PM EDT
[#4]
Originally Posted By dmnoid77:

View All Quotes
Originally Posted By dmnoid77:

tens of thousands......  

Ya it was part of some funny pics we do every year for the zombie 3gun in October my wife and I post up a bunch off funny pics in the Wyoming  Hometown section to get everyone excited.. usually is a pretty good time... something about shooting a bunch of zombie targets in a sombrero by burning cars and tires that just has undead apocalypse written all over it..

Link Posted: 8/29/2015 3:45:22 PM EDT
[#5]
View All Quotes
Originally Posted By Buzz69:
Originally Posted By danpass:
link(s) to prior threads?

Viking Ship

Grizzly

Mural

Mountain Lion

Stagecoach

Sopwith Camel

Wolf

sweet, thanks
Link Posted: 8/29/2015 4:43:42 PM EDT
[#6]

Ya it was part of some funny pics we do every year for the zombie 3gun in October my wife and I post up a bunch off funny pics in the Wyoming  Hometown section to get everyone excited.. usually is a pretty good time... something about shooting a bunch of zombie targets in a sombrero by burning cars and tires that just has undead apocalypse written all over it..

View Quote

You should post the picture of our buddy in the Sombrero and gas mask.  It's epic!
Link Posted: 8/29/2015 6:21:31 PM EDT
[Last Edit: Sparks556] [#7]
These all make me laugh...after this guns I will quit hijacking your art thread.. This year you are coming over for zombie 3guns photos

Link Posted: 8/29/2015 6:31:43 PM EDT
[#8]
Sorry for the late reply. But yes, double up the 3/4 ply backbones.  You could actually lay out a left and right side and then bolt the two halves together.  Kind of like the old Gullows model kits from way back.
Link Posted: 8/29/2015 6:49:20 PM EDT
[#9]
Link Posted: 8/29/2015 7:29:22 PM EDT
[#10]
Originally Posted By Tango7:
You need to visit Chicago's Museum of Science and Industry's U505 exhibit
View Quote

Wish we were closer.  That would be an amazing thing for students...hell....even me, to see .
Link Posted: 8/29/2015 7:34:43 PM EDT
[#11]
Link Posted: 8/29/2015 7:35:21 PM EDT
[#12]
Link Posted: 8/29/2015 8:14:36 PM EDT
[#13]
Originally Posted By MSC182:
I love these threads.
View Quote

Link Posted: 8/29/2015 8:31:46 PM EDT
[#14]

That is a pretty cool idea.    Not sure I can get that done, but I'll look into it.    Anytime we start talking about hardwired stuff, my life gets complicated with admin, but "Display lighting" might get passed and approved.  
View All Quotes

Originally Posted By metalsaber:

You need to have the lights above the sub color coordinated.  Have the a nice deep blue.  Then have the av club setup for the lights to randomly change to orange/others to simulate an above water battle complete with sounds.

Posted Via AR15.Com Mobile

That is a pretty cool idea.    Not sure I can get that done, but I'll look into it.    Anytime we start talking about hardwired stuff, my life gets complicated with admin, but "Display lighting" might get passed and approved.  

Yeah sound fx probably wouldn't get by considering how everyone is worried about kids and shootings.  Hope the could do the light show.  An interactive display would be badass.
Link Posted: 8/29/2015 8:36:44 PM EDT
[#15]
Originally Posted By VrodRay:
Depth Charges?  
View All Quotes
Originally Posted By VrodRay:
Depth Charges?  

Those are sonobuoys.
Link Posted: 8/29/2015 8:52:16 PM EDT
[#16]
Tagging  this
Link Posted: 8/30/2015 1:57:21 AM EDT
[#17]

Yeah sound fx probably wouldn't get by considering how everyone is worried about kids and shootings.  Hope the could do the light show.  An interactive display would be badass.
View All Quotes
Originally Posted By metalsaber:  You need to have the lights above the sub color coordinated.  Have the a nice deep blue.  Then have the av club setup for the lights to randomly change to orange/others to simulate an above water battle complete with sounds.

Posted Via AR15.Com Mobile

Ping!  Ping!  Ping!
Link Posted: 8/30/2015 10:31:05 AM EDT
[#18]
Where did you find the schematics?

Any detailed sized one that can fit on legal sized paper?
Link Posted: 8/30/2015 10:34:01 AM EDT
[#19]
Originally Posted By VooDoo3dfx:

View Quote

I searched Google and found several.  It's tough to read the details, but seem to scale down to legal ok.  

I even printed a few copies on 8.5x11.  

The resolution on some where large enough to get those huge posters I posted earlier.
Link Posted: 8/30/2015 10:35:40 AM EDT
[Last Edit: VooDoo3dfx] [#20]

I searched Google and found several.  It's tough to read the details, but seem to scale down to legal ok.  

The resolution on some where large enough to get those huge posters I posted earlier.
View All Quotes

I designed and built the Disney version of the Nautilus from the 20K Leagues Under the Sea Movie in a Lego program.. and built it.

Now I am thinking of doing the same with a U-Boat.

I did find this but it lists the length as 131... but it can't be feet (the type VII is 220 feet) nor can it be meters. Not quite sure what the numbers mean.
Link Posted: 8/30/2015 10:52:54 AM EDT
[#21]
I remember the Sopwith project. This is just as cool!
Link Posted: 8/30/2015 11:08:32 AM EDT
[#22]
You know, if Das Boot doesn't pass for showing the students, "The Enemy Below" might.
Link Posted: 8/30/2015 11:28:55 AM EDT
[#23]

I designed and built the Disney version of the Nautilus from the 20K Leagues Under the Sea Movie in a Lego program.. and built it.

I did find this but it lists the length as 131... but it can't be feet (the type VII is 220 feet) nor can it be meters. Not quite sure what the numbers mean.
View All Quotes

That's the one I'm using right now, we just aren't using the numbers listed.  We are measuring our large printout and multiplying the inches by 9.4.  Gives us a 1/8th scale for our build.  We did something similar with the Sopwith Camel
Link Posted: 8/30/2015 11:29:15 AM EDT
[#24]
Originally Posted By CarbineDad:
You know, if Das Boot doesn't pass for showing the students, "The Enemy Below" might.
View Quote

Great movie too.
Link Posted: 8/30/2015 12:03:30 PM EDT
[#25]
Link Posted: 8/30/2015 1:01:39 PM EDT
[#26]
Gawd I love these threads!!

Tizzag.
Link Posted: 8/31/2015 9:02:14 PM EDT
[Last Edit: guns762] [#27]
Update 8/31

Pretty productive day.  

We started out expanding this up on the board till it was our full 1/8th scale.
Students then traced around it so we have a stencil for the contour of the bow.

Saving space and materials with our stencils.

My boys here, I recruited out of the hallways to come to my class this semester and work specifically on the sub project.  I stole three of them out of Ag.  they were all students last year and as soon as I made the offer, they were mine!!!

They kicked ass with the jig saws.  

Check out the finished ribs in the storage spaces.  
Link Posted: 8/31/2015 10:43:54 PM EDT
[#28]
Ironically, your note asking if everyone photographed their project shows up right before your photo that is no longer available.
Link Posted: 8/31/2015 11:10:55 PM EDT
[#29]
Originally Posted By Soylent:
Ironically, your note asking if everyone photographed their project shows up right before your photo that is no longer available.
View Quote

Huh...it was there earlier. It was a few kids laying out stencils and tracing in onto some ply.
Link Posted: 8/31/2015 11:24:29 PM EDT
[Last Edit: guns762] [#30]
Originally Posted By Soylent:
View Quote

Hmmm.....

I'm still seeing it.
ETA:

Ok, I replaced it again, seems to be oriented correctly now.
Link Posted: 8/31/2015 11:39:24 PM EDT
[Last Edit: guns762] [#31]
Tomorrow, I'm going to go down and have some wood delivered for our internal keel, and maybe some saw horses for us to get the build off the ground, once we get that far.
Link Posted: 9/1/2015 4:22:29 AM EDT
[#32]
How are you planning on skinning this?
Link Posted: 9/1/2015 8:05:52 AM EDT
[#33]
Originally Posted By Sixtigers:
How are you planning on skinning this?
View Quote

At first, I was thinking roofing aluminum; then I was thinking canvas, but I've decided a drawing board we use might be the best bet.  It can bend, isn't too expensive, is fairly light weight, can be carved, and easily painted.  

We are going to probably staple it on as we go.  It's easy to cut into specific shapes.
Link Posted: 9/1/2015 12:59:55 PM EDT
[#34]
Sell it to these guys when you're done.  Great school fundraiser and they're down one sub.  Win-win!

Link Posted: 9/1/2015 1:07:34 PM EDT
[#35]
Link Posted: 9/1/2015 11:06:33 PM EDT
[#36]
Kids ripped through two full sheets of plywood today, and got the remaining stencils all cut out.  I was so busy, and my phine was charging so i didnt get any good photos.  Sorry.  Tomorrow we will begin laying out the ribs and the top beam of the internal center keel.  It's going to be lots of measuring and calculations to try to figure out where exactly each rib news to go to create the proper contour.  

We've got a plan to use the ribs that have very distinct features to place those first then adjust the rest to the correct placement on the line.  We are starting with the rear half of the sub first.

I'll do a better job of getting  some photos tomorrow of the work.  

Link Posted: 9/2/2015 11:17:07 AM EDT
[#37]
Kids ripped through two full sheets of plywood today, and got the remaining stencils all cut out.  I was so busy, and my phine was charging so i didnt get any good photos.  Sorry.  Tomorrow we will begin laying out the ribs and the top beam of the internal center keel.  It's going to be lots of measuring and calculations to try to figure out where exactly each rib news to go to create the proper contour.  

We've got a plan to use the ribs that have very distinct features to place those first then adjust the rest to the correct placement on the line.  We are starting with the rear half of the sub first.

View Quote

Looking at the photos of the ribs my boat building skills kicked in.  Are you going to put and angle on the edges of the ribs to flush mount the skin material? If you don't you wont have a flush connection between the skin and ribs. There will only be connection between the skin and one edge of the rib leaving an triangle shaped air space between them. Not the strongest joint.

Also the angle in the ribs changes from the center rib to the last stern/bow rib.
Link Posted: 9/2/2015 12:42:11 PM EDT
[#38]
Originally Posted By EBR666:

Looking at the photos of the ribs my boat building skills kicked in.  Are you going to put and angle on the edges of the ribs to flush mount the skin material? If you don't you wont have a flush connection between the skin and ribs. There will only be connection between the skin and one edge of the rib leaving an triangle shaped air space between them. Not the strongest joint.

Also the angle in the ribs changes from the center rib to the last stern/bow rib.
View All Quotes
Originally Posted By EBR666:

You are, of course, correct, but I'm not sure with our skills we can contour the angle the way you are describing.   I think it will probably be ok the way this is laying out, but I'll check when we get a few ribs together on the spine and see how it fits.   The skin is not going to be "strong" by any means.   It's a trade off we are going to have to make for weight.   Hopefully, when we put the 1x2s along the 2,4,8, and 10 oclock positions, it will help take out some of that play between the ribs and the skin.  It will also help us have another contact point for the skin.
Link Posted: 9/2/2015 6:49:33 PM EDT
[Last Edit: guns762] [#39]
Update 9/2

Things are coming together, but problems in the consistency of our stencil patterns are starting to show up a bit.  Not a huge surprise, by any means, but we will have to address those problems soon.

Here is the first of four stands we are building to hold our boat during construction.

I realize it was popular opinion here to use something else, but given the scale, we decided that the 2x4 would be more than enough for our purpose.  Here they are laying out the ribs in order, upside down, on the main beam of the internal frame.

We are only starting with 12ft, as this is where the main change in angle takes place on the rear section of the boat.

To get things lined up we got our 13" between ribs laid out then used the 1x2" pieces to secure the ribs to the beam.  They are only secured with a few screws so we can line them up a little more accurately as it comes together.

Here they have most of the ribs lines up.  You can see the places we will have to make some adjustments.  The keel seems to be one of the major inconsistent areas, but I think we can get it corrected later.

I thought I had a photo of the bottom beam section, but I mist have forgotten to snap a picture of it.  

Tomorrow we will but the 45 degree 2x2 pieces between the beams and add 1x2 pieces on the opposite side as well to help square up the ribs.  We will probably splice some pieces between the ribs along the keel also.  It should help us start getting things lined up for some trimming of the excess areas.

ETA: We also need to check to make sure it's going to fit out the door.  Some of you know our problems with this in the past projects.  The kids reminded me several times today to check this tomorrow.  We should be good, but it will get taken out tomorrow for proof of life.  
Link Posted: 9/2/2015 8:57:27 PM EDT
[#40]
Those shoes!

WTH is happening to Wyoming?  

Link Posted: 9/2/2015 9:32:58 PM EDT
[#41]
Update 9/2

Things are coming together, but problems in the consistency of our stencil patterns are starting to show up a bit.  Not a huge surprise, by any means, but we will have to address those problems soon.

Here is the first of four stands we are building to hold our boat during construction.
https://farm6.staticflickr.com/5780/20910214279_3a8c195cb6_k.jpg

I realize it was popular opinion here to use something else, but given the scale, we decided that the 2x4 would be more than enough for our purpose.  Here they are laying out the ribs in order, upside down, on the main beam of the internal frame.
https://farm1.staticflickr.com/577/20474400924_f5f5a1e2e1_k.jpg

We are only starting with 12ft, as this is where the main change in angle takes place on the rear section of the boat.

To get things lined up we got our 13" between ribs laid out then used the 1x2" pieces to secure the ribs to the beam.  They are only secured with a few screws so we can line them up a little more accurately as it comes together.
https://farm1.staticflickr.com/653/20909111618_20d14157c9_k.jpg

https://farm1.staticflickr.com/683/21086931392_f3cda8ecf4_k.jpg

Here they have most of the ribs lines up.  You can see the places we will have to make some adjustments.  The keel seems to be one of the major inconsistent areas, but I think we can get it corrected later.
https://farm6.staticflickr.com/5681/20908901600_b828a539b4_k.jpg

https://farm6.staticflickr.com/5684/21096975325_0128750a2b_k.jpg

I thought I had a photo of the bottom beam section, but I mist have forgotten to snap a picture of it.  

Tomorrow we will but the 45 degree 2x2 pieces between the beams and add 1x2 pieces on the opposite side as well to help square up the ribs.  We will probably splice some pieces between the ribs along the keel also.  It should help us start getting things lined up for some trimming of the excess areas.

ETA: We also need to check to make sure it's going to fit out the door.  Some of you know our problems with this in the past projects.  The kids reminded me several times today to check this tomorrow.  We should be good, but it will get taken out tomorrow for proof of life.  
View Quote

Time to remove a window and install the roller door?
Link Posted: 9/2/2015 9:40:11 PM EDT
[#42]
Originally Posted By UtahShotgunner:
Those shoes!

WTH is happening to Wyoming?  

https://farm1.staticflickr.com/683/21086931392_f3cda8ecf4_k.jpg
View Quote

Cheerleader.

Need I say more?  
Link Posted: 9/2/2015 9:42:24 PM EDT
[Last Edit: guns762] [#43]
Originally Posted By TailHunter:

View All Quotes
Originally Posted By TailHunter:
Update 9/2

I put in an official request last spring.  Bean counter shot it down.

Wouldn't that be awesome though!?

My principal was all for it.  Central admin said no.
Link Posted: 9/2/2015 9:48:11 PM EDT
[#44]
How about skinning it with felt then a coat of fiberglass resin?
Link Posted: 9/2/2015 9:52:34 PM EDT
[Last Edit: guns762] [#45]
Originally Posted By jmarkma:
How about skinning it with felt then a coat of fiberglass resin?
View Quote

I think the felt or any other fabric like canvas would leave ridges where the ribs are. We also wouldn't have the ventilation needed for fiberglass resin in that quantity.
Link Posted: 9/2/2015 9:53:18 PM EDT
[#46]
More info/pics of the blonde.
Link Posted: 9/2/2015 9:55:15 PM EDT
[#47]
Originally Posted By axeeclipse14:
More info/pics of the blonde.
View Quote

Way, way, way too young for you.  
Link Posted: 9/2/2015 10:03:49 PM EDT
[#48]