Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Page / 4
Link Posted: 3/15/2006 7:35:10 PM EDT
[#1]

Quoted:
Procrastination. I eventually enlisted 10 years later than I first wanted to.

Yeah, but you got around to it!
Link Posted: 3/15/2006 7:39:19 PM EDT
[#2]
Asthma
Link Posted: 3/15/2006 7:42:12 PM EDT
[#3]

Quoted:

Quoted:
Mom and Dad made me go to college instead. Really wish I would have joined, even the reserves or NG. But I became a LEO instead. Felt it was my duty to serve somewhere.

Yer good to go ;)

See we can agree on somthing!
Link Posted: 3/15/2006 7:43:36 PM EDT
[#4]
Time will tell. I'm right at that time in my life right now where I have to make that decision.
Link Posted: 3/15/2006 7:43:46 PM EDT
[#5]
syphillis and lots of it kept me out......
Link Posted: 3/15/2006 7:45:23 PM EDT
[#6]
Fuckin' AAAAA - - none of you guys will EVER serve as POTUS, let alone as a Senator, Congressman or Governor.

Shit, without being a WAR HERO with at least 2 Purple Hearts, like John Kerry, you won't even get elected to State Assembly, or even County Commissioner. Hell, you ain't even gonna get elected Mayor or Police Chief or dog catcher.

Face it - the media only wants a military hero when it suits their purpose. Every person, military service or not, is capable of serving in an elected position. Military service in and of itself DOES NOT qualify a person to serve in office.
Link Posted: 3/15/2006 7:47:56 PM EDT
[#7]

Quoted:
Fuckin' AAAAA - - none of you guys will EVER serve as POTUS, let alone as a Senator, Congressman or Governor.

Shit, without being a WAR HERO with at least 2 Purple Hearts, like John Kerry, you won't even get elected to State Assembly, or even County Commissioner. Hell, you ain't even gonna get elected Mayor or Police Chief or dog catcher.

Face it - the media only wants a military hero when it suits their purpose. Every person, military service or not, is capable of serving in an elected position. Military service in and of itself DOES NOT qualify a person to serve in office.

Its OK.  I would rather be known for doing somthing than going into politics.
Link Posted: 3/15/2006 7:48:15 PM EDT
[#8]

Quoted:

Quoted:
Mom and Dad made me go to college instead. Really wish I would have joined, even the reserves or NG. But I became a LEO instead. Felt it was my duty to serve somewhere.

Yer good to go ;)

Not trying to stir up shit but being a Leo and or Firefighter/EMT is NOT the same as being in the military and NEVER will be. They get paid for overtime amongst other things!
I might consider giving them half credit if they ever earned less than a PFC/E3 while on the job.

Starting salary for a firefighter in my town is nearly $60,000 a year working 24hrs on 48 hrs off
Many of them have so much time off they take a second job to "combat" boredom.
Doesn't seem like much of a sacrifice to me
Link Posted: 3/15/2006 8:01:15 PM EDT
[#9]
Nothing.

20 years and ten months in the Air Force.

Retired E-7
Link Posted: 3/15/2006 8:03:48 PM EDT
[#10]
I tryed to join about a year ago after 2 years of junior college. Leukemia disqualified me.
I'm back in college now..it sucks.
Link Posted: 3/15/2006 8:22:24 PM EDT
[#11]
Bad knee that i messed up playing soccer
Link Posted: 3/15/2006 8:52:57 PM EDT
[#12]
I was born with less than half of what is considered normal hearing......and it is progressive..Doc says I'll be completly deaf by age 50...only six years away...I did try to enlist in the Army, Navy, Air Force, Marines, and the Coast Guard...none of them wanted me.
Link Posted: 3/15/2006 8:58:45 PM EDT
[#13]

Quoted:

Quoted:

Quoted:
Shin splints, Clinton and Bush were Prez., and I have a slight problem of questioning orders and authority.

SHIN SPLINTS?
You know how many guys in the infantry have shin splints?

me!

and a disintegrating disk @ L4,  too.

Mine do not go away no matter how often I run.  That was the least relevant of the three too.  Most seniority in any service do not respond well to questioning the purpose of an order or their intelligence.  I damn near signed up for the corps at 17, in hindsight glad I didn't.  
Link Posted: 3/15/2006 9:01:00 PM EDT
[#14]
My eyes are -11 diopters.  
I tried to join the National Guard when I was 17.
Link Posted: 3/15/2006 9:10:12 PM EDT
[#15]
Nothing!
Link Posted: 3/15/2006 9:11:28 PM EDT
[#16]
3 years as a RED LEG
Link Posted: 3/15/2006 9:13:22 PM EDT
[#17]
Type 1 Diabetes.
Link Posted: 3/15/2006 9:24:46 PM EDT
[#18]
Sure are a lot of people with medical problems here.
Not a flame - but why do people have to try and justify it?
I gave it a shot via ROTC - didn't really like it a whole lot - so what?
There is no shame in not being in the military, and it disturbs me to find so many people who think there is something wrong with not having served.
The military is a calling, just like any other job.
Link Posted: 3/15/2006 9:28:55 PM EDT
[#19]
I didn't join due to procrastination and the realization that I'm not cut out for the modern military.

I almost joined the state guard when I was seventeen. I had a pen in my hand and it was hovering over the sig line- that's how close I got. My mom was with me and she said something very silly and mom-like to the recruiter that embarrassed me. I stormed out of the office and never went back.

I regret not going through with it because the experience may have made me a better person. On the other hand, I've since realized that I just don't have the kind of temperment needed to put up with some of the B.S. that goes on in today's military- or any government agency.

Yesterday a fellow arfcom member mentioned that his promotion may be delayed because of a paperwork error made by his superior. He will be screwed out of rank and the pay that goes with it because someone else made a mistake- and the guilty party will not even be punished! That defies logic. It isn't the kind of thing I could tolerate.
Link Posted: 3/15/2006 9:33:18 PM EDT
[#20]
There are members with legit reasons for not serving but there are way too many BS reasons being posted!

Shins, kness, flat foot, don't like the POTUS, etc....  damn BS!  Just my $0.02 from a veteran with flat feet, shin splints, "air assault" knees, who served everyday under POTUS Clinton.

Suck it up and drive on.  Effective range of an excuse is 0.0 meters.  There are plenty of reasons for not serving, including "I'm just not compatable with military service" but excuses are just plain weak.
Link Posted: 3/15/2006 9:39:26 PM EDT
[#21]
I was young and made decisions that led me elsewhere.  Looking back though, I wish that I had joined.

Plain simple truth of it.
Link Posted: 3/15/2006 9:49:12 PM EDT
[#22]
Money.Thats what kept me out after 5yrs of BS/BA college certification. My old man was UDT(seal) he now sees the light. Your lucky ...... invest in your future,go to school,not this countries cannon fodder. Damn I 'feel' like I enlightened someone. They promise you everything......Uget little if your a US citizen.
Link Posted: 3/16/2006 2:13:33 AM EDT
[#23]
I havent tried yet, but I think a few "youthful indescretions" would bar me from service.

On the other hand I am lazy, I'll admit that. No problem with authority...I just wanna sleep in

ETA: dang, whats with all the military thread recently, arfcom is going .mil bananas
Link Posted: 3/16/2006 2:41:43 AM EDT
[#24]
Bad eyesight and Klinton... nuff said.
Link Posted: 3/16/2006 2:48:51 AM EDT
[#25]
Girls, Beer and Fast cars.

Seriously, At that age I didn't want anyone telling me what to do. I'm looking at 50 now and I would defend our country in a second if called upon.
Link Posted: 3/16/2006 2:49:20 AM EDT
[#26]
The Draft

The draft was abolished in 1973 and I was 15 at the time. Most youth at that time had a negative view of the military, and while I did not, my future was in my family business and serving in the military wasn't going to let that happen

In retrospect, I should have at least given my 4.
Link Posted: 3/16/2006 3:02:03 AM EDT
[#27]

Quoted:

Quoted:

Quoted:

Quoted:
Shin splints, Clinton and Bush were Prez., and I have a slight problem of questioning orders and authority.

SHIN SPLINTS?
You know how many guys in the infantry have shin splints?

me!

and a disintegrating disk @ L4,  too.

Mine do not go away no matter how often I run.  That was the least relevant of the three too.  Most seniority in any service do not respond well to questioning the purpose of an order or their intelligence.  I damn near signed up for the corps at 17, in hindsight glad I didn't.  

You needn't have worried about that...they would have cured you of it quickly.
Link Posted: 3/16/2006 3:48:27 AM EDT
[#28]
Jimmy Carter would have been my boss
Link Posted: 3/16/2006 3:58:45 AM EDT
[#29]
I grew up IN the military with my father flying jets for the USMC.  He was deployed alot and my family moved around a lot through the years.  I went to 3 different high schools.  I lived on base housing.  It was all I knew so it was cool.  

But, when I turned 18 I wanted to know what else was out there and the north had an appeal to it.  I don't know, I guess when you are raised in the military it doesn't have such an allure to it.

I'll say though sometimes I wish I'd have joined, but when I do I quickly come to my senses.  My life is fine as it is.  I will say though, I'd have been a completely different person if I weren't raised in the military - I learned a great deal in that environment and the lessons learned define who I am today.
Link Posted: 3/16/2006 4:17:44 AM EDT
[#30]
I turned 18 two years after Nixon ended the draft. The miltary was full of scumbags who picked miltary service over jail time. They were taking anybody they could get back then. Vietnam was fresh in my mind. Beer, pot and pie was plentiful and I just didn't want to go. I regret it now.
Link Posted: 3/16/2006 4:28:12 AM EDT
[#31]
I looked at going back into the reserves after 9/11.

Wife was not crazy about it, but was set to get with the program.

I would have had to find an opening in some reserve unit, which probably would have meant a reduction in rank from when I left active duty. I was willing to take the reduction.

The deal breaker was I was diagnosed with hypertension just months before. Even though I could still score a 1st class on a USMC PFT (and still can today) I was told thanks but no thanks....
Link Posted: 3/16/2006 4:38:11 AM EDT
[#32]
It was all about the money.  The recruiter didn't sell the fact that I'd get to travel the world, eat exotic food, drink exotic adult deverages, and screw exotic women.  Didn't find out the non-monetary benefits of joining until I was out of school for a few years and I started working with guys my age that had wild and crazy about things they did while in the military.  Of course they had just as many stories shitty things they had to do too.

Oh yeah...  Full Metal Jacket was somewhat discouraging too.

Kent
Link Posted: 3/16/2006 4:57:31 AM EDT
[#33]
Migraine headaches as a kid - couldn't see or speak when they hit, and in '88 that was enough for the recruiter to say "no thanks, kid".

Mom was a nurse (Army, retired O-3) in the burn ward during Vietnam, and she wasn't to wild with the thought of me going into the service anyways.  So I did the EMS thing for a few years before I had kids.

-hd92
Link Posted: 3/16/2006 5:02:20 AM EDT
[#34]

Quoted:
My enormous penis.

+8"
Link Posted: 3/16/2006 5:06:42 AM EDT
[#35]
hearing impaired.
Link Posted: 3/16/2006 5:08:16 AM EDT
[#36]
Being hard of hearing - born w/ a nerve hearing lost.

Oh well,

Badredfish
Son of a full Bird
Link Posted: 3/16/2006 5:21:17 AM EDT
[#37]
not being guaranteed a slot in flight school. Oh and just in case someone out there can put me in a slot, I just got my commercial ticket and am looking for a job so im me.

ps. Unless ofcourse you also DQ for abnormally large penis

Link Posted: 3/16/2006 5:26:54 AM EDT
[#38]
Draft status was 2-S in 1973, I didn't get drafted.

Turned down due to bad knees in 1975.

Had I to do it over again, I would have served in the US, and failing that, volunteered in Rhodesia.

Thanks to all who have served.  It's a calling, one notch below pastoring a church.

Ops
Link Posted: 3/16/2006 5:30:38 AM EDT
[#39]
About 2 weeks before reporting to MEPS I had a car accident that involved a fatality. They wouldn't take me after that for 2 years because of the chance of me being sued in civil court. I was found not at fault in the accident but the recruiter said they couldn't take the chance. After the 2 years were up I'd already moved on in life and was in college. Just never got back to it.
Link Posted: 3/16/2006 6:53:52 AM EDT
[#40]

Quoted:
I grew up IN the military with my father flying jets for the USMC.  He was deployed alot and my family moved around a lot through the years.  I went to 3 different high schools.  I lived on base housing.  .

Is your family name "Santini" by any chance?  
Link Posted: 3/16/2006 7:05:13 AM EDT
[#41]
NOTHING!!!!!!!!!!!
Link Posted: 3/16/2006 7:06:15 AM EDT
[#42]
I do not feel it is the best use for my talents.
Link Posted: 3/16/2006 7:17:13 AM EDT
[#43]
ROTC actively recruited me (Eagle Scout, 4.0 college GPA) until they found out that I was blind in one eye and had joint damage from a broken arm which never healed correctly.  Then I was told I'd have to pay for the ROTC credits and petition for a commission (which I probably wouldn't get).  At least they were honest with me!  
Link Posted: 3/16/2006 7:26:46 AM EDT
[#44]

Quoted:
Never outgrew my childhood asthma.  I would have loved to go into baghdad with our troops.

+1.  Not being able to breath sucks ass.  I blew away those tests that the recruiter made me take, too.

ETA I never really looked into it because my parents were pushing college.  About 6 months before college graduation I started talking to a recruiter.  Her face dropped when I told her about my asthma and she pretty much told me not to waste my time.
Link Posted: 3/16/2006 7:32:47 AM EDT
[#45]
Cowardice

j/k

Asthma
Link Posted: 3/16/2006 7:40:45 AM EDT
[#46]
bad low back, thanks to a non-fused S1-S2 joint.  Found that out humping rucks at Ft. Knox in ROTC.  Nothing to do for it, said the docs.  The pre-comm. physical picked it up and they said thanks but no thanks.  They even tried to recoup the scholarship money they paid me while I was on a waiver for it.  That did not fly.

Link Posted: 3/16/2006 7:48:42 AM EDT
[#47]
POOR health.  Some weekends were boring in college when a majority of your friends were in the National Guard.
Link Posted: 3/16/2006 7:57:06 AM EDT
[#48]
Link Posted: 3/16/2006 9:00:00 AM EDT
[#49]

Quoted:
I turned 18 two years after Nixon ended the draft. The miltary was full of scumbags who picked miltary service over jail time. They were taking anybody they could get back then. Vietnam was fresh in my mind. Beer, pot and pie was plentiful and I just didn't want to go. I regret it now.

That is exactly why I got OUT of the service and didn't make a career of it.

BTW, I carry some guilt with me for this decision. I often feel I should have stated in and tried to improve things. OTOH, I'd have probably been stabbed in the back by some junkie.
Link Posted: 3/16/2006 9:05:14 AM EDT
[#50]
car wreck
two busted knees
Page / 4
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top