Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Page / 4
Link Posted: 3/15/2006 3:45:57 PM EDT
[#1]
College degree, active POST, and a 99 on the ASVAB and got turned down by the coast guard reserves due to a patch of eczema on the back of my right leg which measures less than 3"x2".  Wish I could have served.
Link Posted: 3/15/2006 3:49:02 PM EDT
[#2]

Quoted:
Shin splints, Clinton and Bush were Prez., and I have a slight problem of questioning orders and authority.

wtf?  
Link Posted: 3/15/2006 4:20:45 PM EDT
[#3]
The Navy wanted to slot me for nuke school and I listened to bad advice long enough to get hooked up with the wrong woman.

Link Posted: 3/15/2006 4:31:33 PM EDT
[#4]
Asthma, and asthma alone.
Link Posted: 3/15/2006 4:32:27 PM EDT
[#5]
Nothing, until I destroyed my knee on active duty.  Now, if I get back in, I'll have to push a pencil, and I don't like that idea too much.
Link Posted: 3/15/2006 4:34:37 PM EDT
[#6]

Quoted:
Mom and Dad made me go to college instead. Really wish I would have joined, even the reserves or NG. But I became a LEO instead. Felt it was my duty to serve somewhere.

Yer good to go ;)
Link Posted: 3/15/2006 4:37:13 PM EDT
[#7]
I served and, then, re-upped.

I got out 'cause I was sick of sitting around with my thumb up my ass.

My years in the military mirrored the clinton years, so.......Well...

I finaly was sick of it and got out.
Link Posted: 3/15/2006 4:37:37 PM EDT
[#8]
Nothing kept me out, I served. 'spent a while back in '90-91 in the shit box. I got out out in '93 and 3 weeks ago I had a reunion. I was told I could get back in at the same rank I left, but the chicken shit in me won't let me do it. That and the fact that I actually asked my 8 y.o. boy what he thought of the idea. His endless crying also helped in the decision.....thank you fuckin' commie liberals. I now know my little boy thinks that everyone going to Iraq dies.
Link Posted: 3/15/2006 4:38:31 PM EDT
[#9]
My achilles tendon snapping off of my right foot and the follow-on year and a half of surgeries and physical therapy got me kicked out of the military.  Well, medically discharged anyways.
Link Posted: 3/15/2006 4:43:48 PM EDT
[#10]
In 1984 the .mil doctor told me I had Pes Valgo Planus, bilateral, EPTS.
Then they put me on a plane in San Antonio and sent me back home.

26 days in Texas.

Larry
Link Posted: 3/15/2006 4:49:04 PM EDT
[#11]
What kept me out of the military ?

I didn't join the Air Force.  
Link Posted: 3/15/2006 4:55:41 PM EDT
[#12]
I took my ASVAB in the fall of 1986. I scored in the 90 percentile range. I sat with the Army and Marine recruiters after the test and both were really eager to sign me up. However, both kinda lost interest after my history of asthma came up. I still wish I just would of went for it anyway. I hear that in certain circumstances asthma treated with an inhaler is "acceptable". I still have have a inhaler today for emergencies but I take advair 0nce every two days at night.
Link Posted: 3/15/2006 5:01:09 PM EDT
[#13]
Tubes in my ears and a screwed up ankle.
Link Posted: 3/15/2006 5:44:10 PM EDT
[#14]

Quoted:

Quoted:

Quoted:
My enormous penis.

What's the max length? Does it differ by branch?

His penis has branches??? Do we have a Boone and Crocket scoring system for penises?
Link Posted: 3/15/2006 5:49:58 PM EDT
[#15]

Quoted:
Never outgrew my childhood asthma.  I would have loved to go into baghdad with our troops.

My asthema lasted until age 27.
Link Posted: 3/15/2006 5:50:27 PM EDT
[#16]
Parents
Link Posted: 3/15/2006 5:52:40 PM EDT
[#17]
I was all set to go USMC my senior year of high school, had spoken with the recruiters and all.  Had some family circumstances that I chose to stay home and take care of.  I regret not serving, but I would make the same choice again.  I had to take care of my family, and that involved me being HERE, and I'm not ashamed of that.
Link Posted: 3/15/2006 5:56:07 PM EDT
[#18]
Son of an Army Offiicer....

I was "in the Army" from age 1 to 18, that was enough for me.
Link Posted: 3/15/2006 5:57:02 PM EDT
[#19]
Artificial right knee.
Link Posted: 3/15/2006 5:58:35 PM EDT
[#20]
All my best friends joined the Marine Corps, and I got sidelined with diabetes. Life just isnt fair.

Long live all people who serve, and if they pass they will never be forgotten.
Link Posted: 3/15/2006 6:00:23 PM EDT
[#21]
I was too much of a bad ass... they thought I would take the whole thing over.
Link Posted: 3/15/2006 6:03:32 PM EDT
[#22]
I did AFJROTC throut high school and even all three summers in Summer School for AFJROTC (once as a student, twice as an instructor)...

All this time, I wanted to join the AF...

All this while, I was just kidding myself, for I knew...

That I would never get in.  I knew it then...  As I know now...  And I can understand why...  Sort of...

But it doesn't matter how much you want in...  Don't matter how much you try...  Doesn't matter that you took your health records and sent them from Germany to Dallas to be basically audited and reviewed...  

It all doesn't mean a thing when you have liver problems, kidney problems, had half of your shoulder blade removed, had nueroblastoma and epilepsy...  Even though you hadn't had a seizure in years...

Like I said, with my health, I knew I would never get in, and yet I took AFJROTC for all those years.  I enjoyed it and I needed it at that time of my life (discipline, you know).  I now work for AAFES as a manager...  it is the best i could do to help our military.
Link Posted: 3/15/2006 6:09:25 PM EDT
[#23]
I got a sales job making 50 grand a year right out of high school.  That coupled with the fact that we weren't at war conspired to keep me out of the Marines.   Most of my freinds went and got out already.  I'm only 30 so if the SHTF  with Iran or China I might end up in there after all.
Link Posted: 3/15/2006 6:16:08 PM EDT
[#24]

Quoted:
I was all set to go USMC my senior year of high school, had spoken with the recruiters and all.  Had some family circumstances that I chose to stay home and take care of.  I regret not serving, but I would make the same choice again.  I had to take care of my family, and that involved me being HERE, and I'm not ashamed of that.

I have a question........you had a more than 10 year window of opportunity.....what problems last 10 years?...just curious...
Link Posted: 3/15/2006 6:18:57 PM EDT
[#25]

Quoted:
I got a sales job making 50 grand a year right out of high school.  

you must have been a hell of a salesman.......
Link Posted: 3/15/2006 6:22:13 PM EDT
[#26]

Quoted:

Quoted:

I have a question........you had a more than 10 year window of opportunity.....what problems last 10 years?...just curious...

My mother's health.
Link Posted: 3/15/2006 6:22:26 PM EDT
[#27]
Nothing...did 22 years and a few months.
Link Posted: 3/15/2006 6:27:16 PM EDT
[#28]
What kept me out of the military?

Headupassasitus.

I had wanted to go into the service since I was a kid, first as a Harrier pilot for the Corps, then Force Recon for the Corps, then I read this really interesting book called Rogue Warrior by this ex Navy guy right after I graduated highschool.

So, having always been a big guy (6' 2" with a norwegian metabolism..inotherwords a fatass), I busted ass to get the weight off and join the Navy with a guaranteed shot at BUD/S, which they were actually giving at the time.  At the time I wore glasses though, and they told me that SOCOM (which had just pulled the ARmy, Navy and Airforce specops units under its umbrella the year prior) had specific eye requirements of one eye being no worse than 20-70 and the other being no worse than 20-40.  My last eye exam a year prior had shown me within that range, but just before I signed the contract, they asked to get an updated eye exam which showed that my left eye was now out of spec.

Because of my high ASVAB scores (98) they said I could do pretty much anything else I wanted, but I was a dumbass and walked thinking I could convince the Army to let me go special forces or Rangers.  They gave me the exact same news so I bailed like a moron.

The biggest lesson I learned from that was that its better to do somthing then nothing, and had I done somthing like go 101'st instead of walking, I would have been in the thick of it with my buddies instead of getting hooked up with a bitch and having kids, working several stupid civilian jobs that didn't amount to a bucket of shit.  My only consolation at this point is that I am serving my nation repairing and upgrading nuclear vessels for the Navy as a civilian govt. employee (not a contractor) and have found a way to give service yet not be away from my kids.(well, for any extended length of time. We still get sent TDY to do projects at other bases besides our home port, but they don't last all that long all things considered.)

BUT, all that aside, if given the opportunity to go kick some ass in a combat role, I would take it in a heartbeat.  Since my case of extreme headupassasitus, I have  had LASIK surgery and can see my targets real damn good.  I have also considered trying to enlist again with a guaranteed 101st air assault contract but being away from my kids like that has always stopped me from becomming real serious about it.

Chris
Link Posted: 3/15/2006 6:28:33 PM EDT
[#29]
Not being able to even try for what I wanted.
Link Posted: 3/15/2006 6:32:30 PM EDT
[#30]
Bad knees.
Link Posted: 3/15/2006 6:42:33 PM EDT
[#31]
asthma
Link Posted: 3/15/2006 6:43:44 PM EDT
[#32]
Bad attitude towards authority and a reluctance to follow orders I consider stupid/crazy. Now, even if I changed my mind, flatfeet, hearing problems, bad joints (Lyme induced arthritis) would keep me from serving.
Link Posted: 3/15/2006 6:44:17 PM EDT
[#33]

Quoted:

Quoted:

At the time no, not really.  He he he.  I was lucky to get into the cell phone business right when it started to boom.  Dumb luck.  Eventually the market cooled and now I'm out of the industry completely.  If I had to to do over again I would have joined the Marines instead.   You can't put a price on being proud of what you do.  Plus I'm the only one of my bros without a confirmed kill.  Lame.
Link Posted: 3/15/2006 6:44:33 PM EDT
[#34]

Quoted:

Quoted:

Quoted:

My mother's health.

10-4
Link Posted: 3/15/2006 6:47:19 PM EDT
[#35]

Quoted:

Quoted:

Quoted:

At the time no, not really.  He he he.  I was lucky to get into the cell phone business right when it started to boom.  Dumb luck.  Eventually the market cooled and now I'm out of the industry completely.  If I had to to do over again I would have joined the Marines instead.   You can't put a price on being proud of what you do.  Plus I'm the only one of my bros without a confirmed kill.  Lame.

so howold are you now? they raised the age limit you know....to 36 I think.
Link Posted: 3/15/2006 6:48:05 PM EDT
[#36]
The reason I'm not in now is this: Old age.

Served in the early 70s, and right after 9/11 when I tried to get back in they said no.
Link Posted: 3/15/2006 6:51:00 PM EDT
[#37]
No real interest, I grew up post vietnam when the military had a poor image and most people in my neck of the wood really expected the next war to be over in about 30 minutes.   I toyed with the idea but ended up deciding to go to college instead.
Link Posted: 3/15/2006 6:51:43 PM EDT
[#38]
tag
Link Posted: 3/15/2006 6:52:59 PM EDT
[#39]
During my physical ...  "I was at full salute"  don't know why.  They told me to go home.  
Link Posted: 3/15/2006 6:53:49 PM EDT
[#40]

Quoted:
I was informed by the Air Force, Army and the Navy recruters that I would NEVER pass the hearing test.

I have over 40db hearing loss in both ears.

So basically I am deaf.  Sucks too  

what did  he say?

Well, finally another deaf mother fucker I am supossed to wear 'naids, but I get along with out them. Found out exactly how deaf I am not ,a decage too late.

When I was in MEPS in Richmond,va I was pissed off at the ear Doc, threatened to beat him within an inch of his life if he didnt let me in , still didnt help. The goober next to me got in with 1" think glasses.

Tried again 2 years later, same thing, only this time it took a gunny to restrain me. Same gunny tried to get a waiver.... no luck. He was pissed too. "You'd make a FINE Marine, son, I just cant get them to let you be a sniper with bad hearing". ME: " I dont get it, from 1000 yards awawy I dont NEED to HEAR anything but the bolt "

20 years later I can still hit em with grace at 1000 yards
Link Posted: 3/15/2006 6:54:40 PM EDT
[#41]

Quoted:
I almost  joined the Army right out of high school, but didnt due mostly to the fact that  all I wanted to do with my life is drink rediculous amounts of alcohol, bang countless amounts of chicks, and have a steady paycheck and a place to crash...

Oh wait I am in the Army hock.gif

I was about to say, That sounds JUST like military life!
Link Posted: 3/15/2006 6:59:11 PM EDT
[#42]
A high draft# in 1971!
Link Posted: 3/15/2006 7:00:33 PM EDT
[#43]

Quoted:

Quoted:

Quoted:

Quoted:

so howold are you now? they raised the age limit you know....to 36 I think.

I'm 30.  Now I'm getting married and my wife says no way unless the SHTF because she wants to start having kids.  If I go ahead join anyway she's gonna leave me.  
Link Posted: 3/15/2006 7:04:15 PM EDT
[#44]
Lost sight in my right eye at age 13.
Link Posted: 3/15/2006 7:04:56 PM EDT
[#45]
Athsma

I'm in the same boat as you, all I have ever wanted to do. It is killing me not to be able to serve!

The sick thing is I am the recruiter's poster child. 99 on the ASVAB, 8 years of sevice in the USAF Aux. Civil Air Patrol- Cadet Lt. Col, 4 years as an istructor at a NCO/ Officer leadership school, other gee-whiz stuff.

However not being able to join may have it's positive, the good Lord's got his plan. I would not have met my better half if I had joined.
Link Posted: 3/15/2006 7:15:02 PM EDT
[#46]
Eyesight almost kept me out.  I remember there was a lot of focus on breathing problems during my various physicals (not a problem for me, but a lot of others in my ROTC class seemed to have them).
Link Posted: 3/15/2006 7:19:12 PM EDT
[#47]

Quoted:
Nothing.

+1. I joined as soon as I finished high-school.
Link Posted: 3/15/2006 7:24:19 PM EDT
[#48]

Quoted:
Son of an Army Offiicer....

I was "in the Army" from age 1 to 18, that was enough for me.

But now I have this great Space Shuttle Door gunner job...
Link Posted: 3/15/2006 7:27:01 PM EDT
[#49]
Greed and an inability to take orders.  However, as a young attorney I worked for a bunch of Marine Corp JAGs, and must say that in hindsight, I think I missed out on something special.

If my kids are interested, I will encourage them to serve.  And I hope to be financially able to support them so that money (for  basic stuff) will not be a deciding factor in their choices in the beginning.
Link Posted: 3/15/2006 7:32:30 PM EDT
[#50]

Quoted:
Mom and Dad made me go to college instead. Really wish I would have joined, even the reserves or NG. But I became a LEO instead. Felt it was my duty to serve somewhere.

What you do is just as important Bro!
Page / 4
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top