BCM
User Panel

Site Notices
Page / 2
Next Page Arrow Left
Link Posted: 10/12/2005 8:02:05 AM EDT
[#1]
ex had similar symptoms

Doctors tested for Crohn's Disease.  Negative.

We were told "IBS" is a "catch-all" phrase for
"sorry we don't know what is causing the problem, we don't know what your problem is".

Turns out, ex was LACTOSE INTOLERANT.

Drink Milk, eat ice cream, cheese, etc.  Get the runs 20 minutes later.

Lactose intolerance can develop as you get older, or you can be born with it.

Link Posted: 10/12/2005 8:02:13 AM EDT
[#2]
Link Posted: 10/12/2005 8:02:44 AM EDT
[#3]

Quoted:
i have this problem whenever I eat at Hu-Hot

(Mongolian build it yourself stir fry)

I use lots of garlic and hot sauce, a touch of wine, and some other things that seem to "flush" the intestines completely.

It's called excess mono-sodium glutomate.  MSG is the reason when you eat Chinese Buffet, you have to eat again a couple hours later.
Link Posted: 10/12/2005 8:50:08 AM EDT
[#4]
I'm going to drink nothing but water for beverages today and watch what I eat.  

Any ideas on how to narrow this down?
Link Posted: 10/12/2005 7:34:33 PM EDT
[#5]
If you have been camping/hiking etc. and drinking from a stream, just go get tested for Giardia.

If you think it might be MSG problem, find a couple Chinese places that advertise NO MSG and eat there and see what happens. If you have no problem, then go to a couple that don't advertise and compare results.

If you want to be hard core about self diagnosis, just write down everything you eat for a couple weeks, and when the explosions occur and see if you can correlate anything.

If you want to be really hard core about self diagnosis, look up something called an "elimination diet."   Basically, to try to identify food sensitivities, you only eat 4 fairly tame foods (like rice) for the first week, then add in a different food or two every few days and see if one or more are triggers. I don't know the suggested foods or timing.

Also, if you drink a lot of coffee or soda with meals, it could be a caffeine thing---caffeine will speed you up.  Try cutting that out.

Or , you can always go to a doctor....
Link Posted: 10/12/2005 7:41:44 PM EDT
[#6]
I just reread your first post--if this just started a few months ago, it is probably not a food-triggered thing, unless you just started a whole new eating regimen.

That would make it lean toward being something inside you---like a gall bladder or giardia.  They are both pretty easy for a doctor to eliminate as contenders.

Good luck.
Link Posted: 10/12/2005 8:37:27 PM EDT
[#7]
You might try taking Acidophilus w/ Bifidus. You can get it in health food stores. I use it when taking antibiotics, works great.

http://www.wholehealthmd.com/refshelf/substances_view/1,1525,748,00.html

http://www.healthtouch.com/bin/EContent_HT/altCareMedShowLfts.asp?fname=00449&title=BIFIDUS+&cid=HTALT
Link Posted: 10/12/2005 8:38:57 PM EDT
[#8]
i have to take a chew right after i eat or i can't function properly. i think i may have a bigger problem.
Link Posted: 10/12/2005 8:47:23 PM EDT
[#9]
Chinese food= drive home to crap,no shopping just have to get home

Link Posted: 10/12/2005 8:50:45 PM EDT
[#10]

Quoted:
I've had what you describe happen--at first after eating Burger King onion rings.  I'd eat them 2-3 times without a problem.  Then the next time, after about 15 minutes, I would have what I call an "ass-plosion"--an EXTREME urge to go and violent diahrea when I did.  It would even smell like onions when I did (sorry if that's TMI).  I just quit eating the onion rings at BK.

Oh hell, and here I thought it was just me.  
Link Posted: 10/12/2005 8:53:12 PM EDT
[#11]

Quoted:
More recently (this past Spring) I had it happen twice after eating at Long John Silver's--chicken planks meal.  As I hate crapping along the road I quit eating there too.  I have been told it could be gall stones.  Dunno, and I'm going to let it get worse before I seek medical attention, as I normally feel fine and have normal bowel habits.

What! I though only old folks who eat out to use coupons eat there!  What I want to know is where does LJS grow those test tube shrimp? You know, the ones that look like an 9" chicken strip.  
Link Posted: 10/12/2005 9:48:26 PM EDT
[#12]
Link Posted: 10/12/2005 9:49:04 PM EDT
[#13]
As already mentioned, the problem could come from a variety of sources.

Still, it’s a common issue (and I suspect it’s why restaurants always have rest rooms).

If food is simply acting as a trigger and you can’t control it by adjusting your diet or limiting yourself to small meals, you might want to try an inexpensive prescription medication called Hyoscyamine.  While you probably wouldn’t want to take every day, it might be helpful when traveling and such.
Link Posted: 10/12/2005 9:53:33 PM EDT
[#14]
Link Posted: 10/12/2005 10:52:33 PM EDT
[#15]
Just to let you know Luxan, my lactose intolerance didn't start until my freshman year of college.  I spent my whole life eating pizza, cheese, etc. without consequences.  Your body just stops producing the enzyme lactase after a certain point.

Not sure what you have but don't want you to rule this out as it is much more common than people realize.
Link Posted: 10/12/2005 11:31:34 PM EDT
[#16]
You need to go see a doctor, it's probably something like gall bladder problems or what not, but it could be really serious.

My dad had the same problem, always had to go to the bathroom right after he ate.  Even had undigested food in his stools.  He finally went to the doctor, he had a cancerous tumor in his colon, it had gone through the wall of his colon.  

Don't want to freak you out, but might want to talk to a doctor about it.
Link Posted: 10/13/2005 5:43:11 AM EDT
[#17]
One food that forces an immediate reaction for me is powdered garlic.  Normal garlic is fine, but anything with a measurable amount of powdered garlic and I'm lucky to make it out of the restaurant.

Quoted:
If you think it might be MSG problem, find a couple Chinese places that advertise NO MSG and eat there and see what happens. If you have no problem, then go to a couple that don't advertise and compare results.

A friend of mine runs several Chinese restaurants so he knows a bit about the business... he said most of those "no msg" places are lying.
Link Posted: 10/13/2005 7:28:51 AM EDT
[#18]

Luxan,

As someone who has a recent "shotgun" scar (at least that's what I tell the chicks, heh) on my stomach from getting my gall bladder removed, you might want to see a doc to get your abdomen looked at.  This is true if you ever have slight pain in your upper abdomen or back, especially at night or while you sleep.  You MAY even get nausiated on occasion.  Pain lasts an hour or few and then goes away.  The pain isn't necessarially there even if you have gall bladder issues.

I had the same problem as you and went to the doctor one night (the ER actually) and told them what I was feeling and the fact that I was sensitive to eating food (ahh chicken wings).  They did a CT (an ultra sound or other ways will work) and you could see the small stones plain as day.

Surgery is almost a non-event if that is indeed what the problem is.  

Link Posted: 10/13/2005 1:30:43 PM EDT
[#19]

Quoted:
...Surgery is almost a non-event if that is indeed what the problem is.

I don’t know about that!!

That’s what they told me when my gall bladder was removed about ten years ago – when it was over I’d just have three Band-Aids on my stomach and be out of the hospital the next day.

Wrong!!

Things went badly and they had to open me up.  I was in the hospital for five days and out of work for nearly a month.

I accused my doctor of using a chain saw on me.  He was not amused.
Link Posted: 10/13/2005 1:38:12 PM EDT
[#20]
EAT MORE CHEESE!
Link Posted: 10/13/2005 1:59:53 PM EDT
[#21]

Quoted:

Luxan,

As someone who has a recent "shotgun" scar (at least that's what I tell the chicks, heh) on my stomach from getting my gall bladder removed, you might want to see a doc to get your abdomen looked at.  This is true if you ever have slight pain in your upper abdomen or back, especially at night or while you sleep.  You MAY even get nausiated on occasion.  Pain lasts an hour or few and then goes away.  The pain isn't necessarially there even if you have gall bladder issues.

I had the same problem as you and went to the doctor one night (the ER actually) and told them what I was feeling and the fact that I was sensitive to eating food (ahh chicken wings).  They did a CT (an ultra sound or other ways will work) and you could see the small stones plain as day.

Surgery is almost a non-event if that is indeed what the problem is.  

Almost 10% of the people who have had their gall bladder removed have chronic diarrhea for the rest of their lives. Thankfully I have never had that problem.

One other side affect to GB disfunction is pancreatitis. Not something to mess with as it can be fatal.

One other thing to consider is Celiac disease which is an alergic reaction to wheat gluten that can destroy the celia in the lower intestine and cause chronic diarrhea, particularly after eating. ETA About one person in 100 has Celiac and although onset is usually in early childhood or later in life (after age 60) it can occur suddenly at any age and has a very strong family link.
Link Posted: 10/13/2005 2:26:40 PM EDT
[#22]

Quoted:

If you want to be really hard core about self diagnosis, look up something called an "elimination diet."   Basically, to try to identify food sensitivities, you only eat 4 fairly tame foods (like rice) for the first week, then add in a different food or two every few days and see if one or more are triggers. I don't know the suggested foods or timing.

Or , you can always go to a doctor....

I have one elimination diet that consists of:

1)  CHOOSE ONE: chicken or pork, steamed, broiled or baked

2) CHOOSE ONE:  rice or potato

3)  canned pears

4)  water

That's all you eat for 1-2 weeks.  Then you start adding back in foods, starting with the blander variety, every few days and see what affects you.  
Link Posted: 10/13/2005 4:27:53 PM EDT
[#23]
Link Posted: 10/13/2005 4:39:55 PM EDT
[#24]
I would go to the doctor as soon as possible.
If I had gone when I first noticed some thing was wrong, I would not have severe ulcerative colitis and have to make a run for the toilet every hour and a half.
I would have saved about $1500 and only god knows how much time.
The symptoms are somewhat close to what you described.
Link Posted: 10/13/2005 4:41:14 PM EDT
[#25]
You guys fell for this hook, line & stinker.  I don't call it IBS, I call it B.S.

This guy was banned twice at Glocktalk for coming up with the most ridiculous posts & the kool aid drinkers over there fell for it constantly.

My favorite was the whole plot of how he met an alcoholic young girl whilst working at the Taco Bell drive-thru.  You should have seen the energy expended by those GT folks in trying to offer guidance.  It was laughable.

Good job, Cybyte aka R_Ladies_Man.  You have definitely found a new audience.  
Link Posted: 10/13/2005 7:00:12 PM EDT
[#26]

Quoted:
You guys fell for this hook, line & stinker.  I don't call it IBS, I call it B.S.

This guy was banned twice at Glocktalk for coming up with the most ridiculous posts & the kool aid drinkers over there fell for it constantly.

My favorite was the whole plot of how he met an alcoholic young girl whilst working at the Taco Bell drive-thru.  You should have seen the energy expended by those GT folks in trying to offer guidance.  It was laughable.

Good job, Cybyte aka R_Ladies_Man.  You have definitely found a new audience.  

OH well.
Now for a question...  kool aid drinker = lemming?  What does the reference mean?  I'm missing something.

Woody
Link Posted: 10/13/2005 7:03:27 PM EDT
[#27]
are you kidding?  Everyone has to crap right away after eating a Royale with Cheese
Link Posted: 10/13/2005 7:06:24 PM EDT
[#28]
I can't believe this thread is running now to 4 pages!
Link Posted: 10/13/2005 7:16:43 PM EDT
[#29]
My problem does not occur just after eating, but at random times.  Stomach goes from  fine to serious  in about 5 minutes with extreme stomach pains.  Its slowed down in the last week but for several weeks  I was becoming concerned.  

Bill3508
Page / 2
Next Page Arrow Left
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top