Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Site Notices
Page / 3
Link Posted: 11/1/2009 7:48:23 PM EDT
[#1]

Just not enjoying the things you used to?

Link Posted: 11/1/2009 7:49:27 PM EDT
[#2]
In before the "LOL, WUT?" pics.
Link Posted: 11/1/2009 7:55:22 PM EDT
[#3]
Go and buy another one ASAP!!
Link Posted: 11/1/2009 8:20:38 PM EDT
[#4]
what is this strange language you speak?
Link Posted: 11/1/2009 8:25:14 PM EDT
[#5]
It comes and goes with me.  Right now I haven't been to the range in a couple months and I don't really feel the urge to go.  I still will go soon just to keep what skills I do have up.  It was a lot more fun to shoot  4-5 years ago when ammo was much cheaper.

Link Posted: 11/1/2009 8:27:18 PM EDT
[#6]
yes after about my 10 year being a full time gun shop commando/armourer

and at about the 10 year mark of shooting IPSC hard core

and at about the 10 year mark of shooting trap hard core
so I then went to work at hobbytown selling RC cars and parts

then at a motorcycle shop

now back with guns
take any hobby and make it a full time job you will hate it

as Dr308 said gun people can be grating at times

but I have found
gun people are no worse than Motorcycle people, car people,, RC car/plane people, or
gamers

it comes from when people attach their identity/life to a hobby or object they will lie and bluster and generally make you despise them to try to make you think they are cool or more advanced in whatever pursuit you are involved in
yes I'm a glutton for punishment

Link Posted: 11/1/2009 8:39:40 PM EDT
[#7]
Quoted:
I'm tired of gun people, if that makes sense.

Link Posted: 11/1/2009 8:44:50 PM EDT
[#8]
Quoted:
don't get me wrong, I support the second amendment in its pure form 100%.  I am pro-gun everything.  However, the luster has faded and the appeal is all but gone.  I see guns for the heavily marketed, cold, lifeless chunks or steel, aluminum, plastic and wood that they are, and no longer drool over them and daydream.  Maybe its the high prices or the dwindling places to shoot along with tighter range restrictions that have soured my grapes.

they just don't make me happy anymore.  I will keep a few essential pieces, but my days of obsession are rapidly declining, and I don't see this as a bad thing.  Life takes balance and that is something I have to keep track of better.  Anyone else toned back their gun nuttiness?  Or am I an arfcom heretic who shall be burned at the stake.  mmmmm steak....yum.....

Sounds like someone needs to start learning how to build guns (ARs, AKs), not only buy them.
Link Posted: 11/1/2009 8:46:59 PM EDT
[#9]
I had a business for few years building rifles.  When I had an FFL, and I could have bought nearly anything for myself, I didn't find anything that really interested me.  Business failed, and for a long time I hated guns.  Sold off inventory, found a pretty good job.  Eventually I got around to closing up the shop and finally sent my FFL back.

I swear, the NEXT DAY after I sent my FFL back, I was in a local gun shop ordering a new rifle.  I think I must be crazy.  
Link Posted: 11/1/2009 8:51:56 PM EDT
[#10]
I am suprised reading all the responses from those who have little or no interest in firearms .Since you know this is a gunsite.So why are you here? It also explains how the GD is full of Libs!
Link Posted: 11/1/2009 8:52:35 PM EDT
[#11]
My interest changes from one type of gun to another but never fades.  On the other hand my interest in cars has pretty much gone away, same for motorcycles.  Diving interest is still there though.
Link Posted: 11/1/2009 8:53:01 PM EDT
[#12]
No I can't say that I am growing tired of guns. However after going to the funshow on Saturday in a smaller town which puts on  a smaller show a couple times a year it is the gouging that i am growing tired of. I have a buddy who is a dealer so I get the inside scoop on quite a few wholesale prices. Now don't get me wrong. I am for a guy making money but some of the prices and the bullshit that accompanies those price explanations just make me want to strangle some folks.

An example from Sat. was a guy with a nice looking Carl Gustav '96 Swede with a receiver marked in 1908.
Him "Its all original."
Me "All the numbers match?"
Him "No, the numbers don't match"
Me "Then it isn't original"

Price$450
Link Posted: 11/1/2009 8:54:50 PM EDT
[#13]
To speak of such things is blasphemy.
Link Posted: 11/1/2009 8:54:54 PM EDT
[#14]

Quoted:

I am suprised reading all the responses from those who have little or no interest in firearms .Since you know this is a gunsite.So why are you here? It also explains how the GD is full of Libs!

I stayed here when my interest has waned because the quality of the GD here is top notch

many other forums are infested with far left wingers or just complete morons

If you think the morons here are bad then you have not traveled the net much

Link Posted: 11/1/2009 8:56:38 PM EDT
[#15]
When I came back from Iraq, I had had about enough of shooting, it came back though
Link Posted: 11/1/2009 9:23:51 PM EDT
[#16]
I'm not obsessed, just something normal Americans should have, like a house, car, job, insurance etc etc.

Some of these things you use everyday, some not so much (thankfully).

Nothing to get excited about until you don't have it anymore.
Link Posted: 11/1/2009 9:34:31 PM EDT
[#17]
I sometimes wish I was tired of guns.. but no not tired of them. Addiction and all that...
Link Posted: 11/1/2009 9:42:56 PM EDT
[#18]
well if you are tired of them i will surely take them off your hands
Link Posted: 11/1/2009 10:03:28 PM EDT
[#19]
Quoted:
I don't research them as much as I use to, so I guess I have also grown tired.

I have tried several combos and have settle on my trusty 1911, AR, riot SG, everything else was sold or traded when the market was in a frenzy.

you are a smart man.  i've done about the same at the tail end of the frenzy.  my number of calibers is half what it was
Link Posted: 11/1/2009 11:45:30 PM EDT
[#20]
Pussy
Link Posted: 11/1/2009 11:46:37 PM EDT
[#21]
Hmm not really... for me atleast. I mean my desire to go shooting wanes from time to time (usually due to weather and ammo prices). But I still love gun stuff..  Course I grew up in NJ all my life, and only moved out here to Wyoming 3 years ago, and didnt own any guns till i moved out here.
Link Posted: 11/1/2009 11:52:01 PM EDT
[#22]
At this point there are only a couple guns I want to buy. I need a new double stack 9mm, I want a genuinely nice 1911 such as a wilson, I want some kind of small easy to carry gun. I need to get a 12 guage of some type and I kind of want an m14 varient all tricked out in marksman configuration.

I don't feel compelled to collect everything that somewhat catches my interest.  Really what I am looking forward to is when I am financially better off and can start taking firearms training classes like a magpul or similar course. It's the martial aspects of firearms that catch my interest more so then the collecting.

Though having a tricked out AR to make my friends ooh and ahh is cool...
Link Posted: 11/1/2009 11:53:39 PM EDT
[#23]
I decided to spread my love to all projectile and edged weapons, not just guns.

I find great pleasure in studying weapons like the RPG-7, M79, M9 Flamethrower.
Link Posted: 11/2/2009 12:11:33 AM EDT
[#24]
I'm tired of technical forums. I don't care if Larue rails are better than DD rails or vice versa. I don't care if Arsenal Saigas have correct FSBs. I don't care about the Bushmaster ACR. Shooting is still fun, but it's not really fun to talk about shooting on the internet.

ARFCOM GD is priceless though.
Link Posted: 11/2/2009 12:13:05 AM EDT
[#25]
QUICK GET THE ANTI-VENOM!
Link Posted: 11/2/2009 12:21:42 AM EDT
[#26]
Quoted:
I'm tired of technical forums. I don't care if Larue rails are better than DD rails or vice versa. I don't care if Arsenal Saigas have correct FSBs. I don't care about the Bushmaster ACR. Shooting is still fun, but it's not really fun to talk about shooting on the internet.

ARFCOM GD is priceless though.

This is how I feel. The Survival Forum can also be excellent.
Link Posted: 11/2/2009 12:52:42 AM EDT
[#27]
Quoted:
You might as well ask "Does anyone get tired of pie".

I'm ashamed to admit it, but I've chosen guns/shooting over pie more than once...

Link Posted: 11/2/2009 3:01:55 AM EDT
[#28]
I'm losing interest in a lot of my guns. The only one I want to shoot lately is my S&W 686+, and finding ammo for that has been a real hassle.

There's not anything out there that I really want. I bought a Sig SP 2022 a year and a half ago and it really does nothing for me. It's a good gun, but I just don't get jazzed up about shooting it. I still get a special feeling when I hold my Sig P-225, so all is not lost.

I still like shooting my AR, but it is a definite KISS carbine. I have no desire for another AR or to trick out the one I have. Of my C&R rifles, collecting them is enough for me. Shoot them every so often, but no real desire to. AKs? Blech.

Maybe I need to be on an anti deppresant.....
Link Posted: 11/2/2009 3:07:55 AM EDT
[#29]

Quoted:

I was debating today "hmm...do I need an AK74 now?  Centerfire has some Bulgy ones pretty damn cheap right now...."...and this is after the fact I have close to a dozen AKM variants.
No, guns don't tire me...not having enough money for everything I want tires me!

I just got one of those (the Bulgy AK74); got it Friday.

I refinished the stocks on it over the weekend (they painted the forestocks with some shit brown paint

, and the rear stock was a completely different kind of wood). I stained it all the same color and then lacquered everything. I will take it to the range this Friday and see how it does. If it doesn't shoot one hell of a lot better than the Polish Tantal I got, I am getting out of the 5.45 caliber permanently.

To the OP; try mil-surp collecting; just about endless fun with guns and history. I  enjoy the learning as much as the shooting. Not to mention the fun of working on them (just getting into the gunsmithing thing). Already into re-loading for everything.

I also enjoy shooting IDPA. A little competition is fun.

Link Posted: 11/2/2009 3:08:58 AM EDT
[#30]
Never...
Link Posted: 11/2/2009 3:15:50 AM EDT
[#31]
I have been involved with firearms for more than forty years, both in and out of the industry.
While they certainly are not my only obsession, birds, Ford Model A vehicles and Mustangs,making chips and farming are others,I have never lost my appreciation for them.
Link Posted: 11/2/2009 3:27:41 AM EDT
[#32]
Not tired, so much. . .but content and almost bored.

I discovered that a few years back when I went to the SHOT show and was bored out of my mind.

I just picked up a P-220 and honestly that was the last thing on my "want to have" list.  I'm embarrassed to say how many guns I have, and I haven't shot 95% of them in years.

I guess I could jump into the Class III game, but I can't justify it.

I still buy 'em on a regular basis, but just because I can, not because I have an overwhelming desire for one.
Link Posted: 11/2/2009 3:45:56 AM EDT
[#33]
Link Posted: 11/2/2009 4:15:54 AM EDT
[#34]
Guns, cars and guitars, if I get tired of one I just focus on the other and keep rotating them throughout the year, by the time I get back to one new stuff has come out and everything seams fresh again.
Link Posted: 11/2/2009 4:17:04 AM EDT
[#35]
No, I don't.
Link Posted: 11/2/2009 4:36:47 AM EDT
[#36]
I'm just on a blade-kick right now.  I cannot afford the rifle I want right now anyways.....We have ten guns right now, which will do, I guess.
Link Posted: 11/2/2009 4:48:46 AM EDT
[#37]
I'm with you. I haven't bought any guns this year. Bought one box of .380 when I ran across it, and I shot one magazine through my Mosin 91/30 while we were out at the property scouting for deer season, and I shot one round of .45 there too, to see if I could hit the target from the spot I'd be hunting.

Last year I had gun related PE classes and I was shooting once a week. It got really annoying to even have to go to the range. Shooting just isn't very fun that often.

I've never even considered this much of a hobby for me, more of an obligation that is part of being prepared for anything.
Link Posted: 11/2/2009 4:53:39 AM EDT
[#38]
I have to admit, while I still love my guns, ARCHERY has become more fun for me the last few years. Just something about launching a projectile using energy from your body that appeals to my primitive nature. Guess I'm kinda going to the Ted Nugent Darkside with the mystical flight of the arrow!!!!  For hunting, I'm almost 100% archery only now......being up close and personal adds WAY more excitement!!!

Also, I can shoot the bow anywhere, anytime. In town, our of town, in my basement, anywhere really,
Link Posted: 11/2/2009 4:57:44 AM EDT
[#39]
Every hobby will have peaks and valleys of interest as your life goes along. It is normal. I have a number of hobbies and I will only be active with 1 or 2 of them at a time. I know that eventually, I will get back to the other ones.

One thing that can help is to try something different that you haven't done before. Have you shot trap? Skeet? Handgun bulls-eye matches? Joined a pistol team? Hunted? Black light shoots? CMP matches?

Often, something new and different can breathe a little life back into a hobby.
Link Posted: 11/2/2009 5:09:02 AM EDT
[#40]

OP, you're searching for something and it ain't guns.  No one thing will make you happy, because eventually it'll let you down and you'll have a personal crisis on an internet forum.  Happiness comes from the decisions you make and the relationships you have.  It does NOT come from the latest________.   You will eventually get tired of that too.

Link Posted: 11/2/2009 5:42:23 AM EDT
[#41]
Quoted:
I'm pretty much burned out. Still use them and will always have some around, but it's dead as a hobby pretty much.

I'm pretty much the same. There are a couple more guns I'd like to add from just a collectors stand point (1911 and M1 Garand), or utility (still need a good hunting rifle), but other than that, I'm burned out, and don't plan on buying any more guns. Hopefully when my kids are old enough to shoot, I"ll get really interested again.

ETA: I still love shooting though.
Link Posted: 11/2/2009 5:49:12 AM EDT
[#42]
I can relate to the OP.

I even have the luxury of shooting on my land, and partially due to the ammo situation ( high prices and low supply ) I've gotten into other hobbies, namely road bikes and back into R/C planes.

I'm actually really getting involved with the cycling, training to do a few races next year.  Where as a year or two ago I'd never consider spending any considerable amount of money on anything but guns, I went out and dropped $4,000 on a new roadbike - that could've bought a few guns and a decent load of ammo.
Link Posted: 11/2/2009 5:53:07 AM EDT
[#43]
Quoted:
Nope... Has only grown.

This.
Link Posted: 11/2/2009 5:55:15 AM EDT
[#44]
Gay called.....
Link Posted: 11/2/2009 5:58:18 AM EDT
[#45]
Never.   Ever.
Link Posted: 11/2/2009 5:58:18 AM EDT
[#46]
Never.   Ever.
Link Posted: 11/2/2009 6:02:38 AM EDT
[#47]
Quoted:
I just can't afford to shoot them anymore.. so they have kind of lost their luster for me.  I'd still love to be able to shoot them, but knowing that I have them and can't afford the ammo to shoot them for recreation really bums me out.

+1

Having to conduct a full out investigation to obtain ammo at a reasonable price has taken a lot of luster from obtaining any more guns for me.  I have cut a lot of safe queens and other guns that are too expensive to shoot anymore. Down to a bunch of .22s, a .40, a .38, and pump shotguns.

I love shooting my .22s, but it is getting old not being able to shoot other calibers.  I hope the birth of my first child will reignite the passion of collecting, if only for them to have when they are older.

If ammo continues to rise and continue to be a PITA to locate, I think others will start feeling this way.
Link Posted: 11/2/2009 6:06:41 AM EDT
[#48]
I'm having a hard time giving a shit about most everything these days.
Link Posted: 11/2/2009 6:09:05 AM EDT
[#49]
i guarantee that will never happen to me
Link Posted: 11/2/2009 6:09:12 AM EDT
[#50]
Quoted:
don't get me wrong, I support the second amendment in its pure form 100%.  I am pro-gun everything.  However, the luster has faded and the appeal is all but gone.  I see guns for the heavily marketed, cold, lifeless chunks or steel, aluminum, plastic and wood that they are, and no longer drool over them and daydream.  Maybe its the high prices or the dwindling places to shoot along with tighter range restrictions that have soured my grapes.

they just don't make me happy anymore.  I will keep a few essential pieces, but my days of obsession are rapidly declining, and I don't see this as a bad thing.  Life takes balance and that is something I have to keep track of better.  Anyone else toned back their gun nuttiness?  Or am I an arfcom heretic who shall be burned at the stake.  mmmmm steak....yum.....

Yep, sometimes. Then I get all pumped about motorcycles for awhile.
Page / 3
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top