Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Site Notices
Page / 5
Link Posted: 10/31/2006 10:37:02 AM EDT
[#1]
I'm almost ashamed for the amount of people sticking up for the ex-employee.
If I call in to work and say I'm sick and can't come in, knowing full well I am ditching so I can go to a party, I know I deserve to get fired if my boss finds out.
I am a manager at another business that is busy on weekends and we have our employees call in "sick" all the time.

Our usual course of action is to call their house halfway through their shift (which we either have to cover or live without, not always an easy task on a busy weekend) and ask their parents (usually they are teens) how they are feeling and if they will be missing any other shifts this week. Half the time the employee is off at some party and told their parents that their shift was cut. Guess what, the next day they are FIRED. If you miss a shift and I can't prove you weren't sick, okay I'll document it and have to deal with you flaking out several more times before I can fire your lying ass. If I can call their bullshit the first time, regardless of how I get the truth, they are done. In my experience no employee that engages in this sort of behavior ever gets any better. If they post the shit out their for everyone to see, they especially deserve it.

Ask me about the time we fired someone for posting on his blog that he bitchslaps the customers while he's at work.
Link Posted: 10/31/2006 10:39:37 AM EDT
[#2]

Quoted:
Once back in high school in Virginia I told my boss (meat department in a Food Lion) that I pulled a muscle in my back and had to call in sick on a Saturday.

On Sunday morning, I'm back wrappin' my meat talking to a chick in the produce department about my tubing trip down the river and how awesome it was floating down river all day with a cooler of beer.  My boss overheard me and caught me red handed...

All I could say was "well boss, I was on my back the whole time!"

He kept me on board for originality but I had to clean the meat department every night for two weeks...

I don't know why, but that whole post sounded very dirty to me.

When you say you had to clean the 'meat department' every night for two weeks to make it up to your boss, I hope that's not a euphemism for something else.
Link Posted: 10/31/2006 10:40:18 AM EDT
[#3]

Quoted:
Fuck that! im fat and i approve this firing.  If your weight adversely affects your ability to do your job, you need to lose weight or find a different job.  Im bigger than that guy (considerably taller too) and ive never had a problem doing labor intensive jobs, but im also not gonna be applying for any roofing jobs.

That was my point.  The ladders we use are rated for, at most 350 lbs...but the majority of them are rated for 250 lbs.  This guy, plus steel toe shoes, hard hat, tool pouch, and various tools used in the electrical industry would easily exceed the weight limit of ANY ladder we had.

He was a safety problem and a liability...along with the fact that he was ugly and stupid.

Hax
Link Posted: 10/31/2006 10:56:45 AM EDT
[#4]

Quoted:

Quoted:
Fuck that! im fat and i approve this firing.  If your weight adversely affects your ability to do your job, you need to lose weight or find a different job.  Im bigger than that guy (considerably taller too) and ive never had a problem doing labor intensive jobs, but im also not gonna be applying for any roofing jobs.

That was my point.  The ladders we use are rated for, at most 350 lbs...but the majority of them are rated for 250 lbs.  This guy, plus steel toe shoes, hard hat, tool pouch, and various tools used in the electrical industry would easily exceed the weight limit of ANY ladder we had.

He was a safety problem and a liability...along with the fact that he was ugly and stupid.

Hax

hey man, fuck fat people who think they should get special treatment.  Im a big dude, but i wouldnt dare use it as excuse to not do something (except jokingly of course "oh i cant come in today boss, im fat.").  I cant stand people who let it actually affect their lives.  I got a job working as a valet on a probationary period because the boss thought i wouldnt be able to hang, but i kept up with even the slimmest of my coworkers running back and forth across the parking lots.  Conversely, a guy that works in my building has a handicapped sticker on his car because he "cant walk all the way from the parking deck because its hard on his back."
my response: "look. you and i both know why you have back problems and walking less isnt gonna help any.  If anything, you should be prohibited from parking within 100 yards of any place you want to go."
i ride my bike to work, i take the stairs, im healthy... just, you know, fat too.
Link Posted: 10/31/2006 11:09:51 AM EDT
[#5]
A long time ago I went to a party and was sick the next day called in and said I could not work today to which the manager replied "get ass in here" so I did. About an hour later he was cleaning up my puke out of the bathroom and I was on my way home. I tried to clean up myself but just added to it.
Sometimes its best to stay at home. I did not get fired but I became a folk hero to all who tried to call in sick and was told to get their ass in to work!
Link Posted: 10/31/2006 11:33:09 AM EDT
[#6]
So you didnt stick it in his pooper and post pics?
Link Posted: 10/31/2006 11:35:26 AM EDT
[#7]

Quoted:
YOU'RE FIRED!!!
i41.photobucket.com/albums/e281/azhammer/marr/DSC00420.jpg

HAHAHA haven't seen that pic in a while....thats my buddy in the pic lol, where'd you find the pic?
Link Posted: 10/31/2006 11:42:55 AM EDT
[#8]

Quoted:

BTW Nice Power Trip. Hope he doesnt get liquored up and come in for a workplace shooting.

DUmb ASS post of the day!

For your 11th birthday maybee you should ask for a brain and some balls.

Link Posted: 10/31/2006 11:43:24 AM EDT
[#9]
what an asshole
Link Posted: 10/31/2006 11:56:51 AM EDT
[#10]
Work Rule # 1
If you lie to me and I find out your gone . NO SECOND chances.
Lifes too short to reward people I cant trust.

Holy shit
Its too easy to pick out the slack lazy fucks and the young and ignorant in this thread. I Hope some of you grow up before its too late and you have kids.

Link Posted: 10/31/2006 12:00:02 PM EDT
[#11]

Quoted:

Quoted:
I don't like your haircut .... you're fired!

I dont like your wooden shoes.. YOU'RE FIRED!
I don't like your name, Fox-
You're Fired!
Link Posted: 10/31/2006 12:00:55 PM EDT
[#12]

Quoted:

Quoted:

Quoted:

BTW Nice Power Trip. Hope he doesnt get liquored up and come in for a workplace shooting.

so i am suppose to be a pussy and let people walk all over me for fear of them comming back and shooting me.

you sound like a anti, just give the criminal what they want and you wont get hurt.

No your not supposed to be a Puss, And Im the Farthest thing from Anti.

I figure the kid deserved it, but he could probably give a shit less by today when he starts at the MC Drive thru.

But you need to recognize that hiring and firing are 2 different things, people take offense sometimes to the Firing especially if you come across as a dick, which is what it seemed by you coming straight on here and bragging. I hope no one tells him of your posts.

How can you bag on some kid for a Myspace page when you have 7500 posts on ARFCOM?

Of course you hired the fucking Punk anyways, Guess you need to add a ,"Whats your Myspace Page?" question to the Application.

And some people come across as being lying employees who dont deserve the paper they're given.

I'm sure the kid would have fired his boss right back if he could.....but he cant and thats just how things work. The kid signed up for a job that he couldnt fulfill......he got fired......and now the boss has to fill his position.

You sir need to wake up to the "Real World"
Link Posted: 10/31/2006 12:04:33 PM EDT
[#13]
I remember the first job I had after I got out of the Army.  A couple of years later the Company hired a kid from the State Employment Service.  I think it was his first.  He kept taking smoke breaks and ducking work.  I well remember him telling me that he was bragging to his girl-friend that he got himself a job.  That was on a Monday.  Come Wednesday his lazy ass was fired.  I wonder what he told his girl-friend.

By the way, the last time I called in sick I was out for the week.  I was taking Prescription Strength cough syrup and pills and wishing I was healthy and not sick.
Link Posted: 10/31/2006 12:05:28 PM EDT
[#14]
The kid was stupid, he should have set his page to "private" so only those on his list of friends could view it.

Link Posted: 10/31/2006 12:08:39 PM EDT
[#15]
I fully agree about the firing, I just dont think its too cool to go on the net and brag about it, just like the kid was dumb to go on the net and post pics of the killer party.

Is this the first time he ever got to fire someone or what?

People have to do shit all of the time, but taking it to the Net and bragging about it,

Well I find that stupid on both their accounts...
Link Posted: 10/31/2006 12:19:30 PM EDT
[#16]

Quoted:
I fully agree about the firing, I just dont think its too cool to go on the net and brag about it, just like the kid was dumb to go on the net and post pics of the killer party.

Is this the first time he ever got to fire someone or what?

People have to do shit all of the time, but taking it to the Net and bragging about it,

Well I find that stupid on both their accounts...

I was just amazed at the whole situation and thought arfcom would get a good laugh out of it.

plus it was meant to teach youngins like yourself how not to get fired...
Link Posted: 10/31/2006 12:46:05 PM EDT
[#17]

Quoted:
The kid was stupid, he should have set his page to "private" so only those on his list of friends could view it.

That's correct, or at least planned it out ahead of time, like not posting anything about the party until way later, or backdating it so it looks like it's something that happened way before the call-out.  It's very easy to doctor up the details, and no one will be the wiser.  
Link Posted: 10/31/2006 1:36:46 PM EDT
[#18]
I worked for a company that gave 8 hours a month off for sick/personal days.
If I took the day off (followed the rules, call in before the shift or have it approved beforehand) then it was of no concern to my employer what I did on my "sick day".

If your employee gets time off for sick days then who gives a fuck why the employee took the time off.
Link Posted: 10/31/2006 1:42:47 PM EDT
[#19]

Quoted:

Quoted:
YOU'RE FIRED!!!

HAHAHA haven't seen that pic in a while....thats my buddy in the pic lol, where'd you find the pic?

I found it in AZ HTF, when he posted it......I thought it was SWEET enough to keep on hand for a thread such as this.
Link Posted: 10/31/2006 2:03:10 PM EDT
[#20]
I'm suprised by the number of replies that are defending the kid that got fired.  1911greg did the right thing. It is his business, and his decision to make. The responses were typical to the "entitlement" attitude that is becoming such a plague on this nation. The kid is not "entitled" to that job. It is a privledge for him to be employed there, and it should be the employers and employee's right to terminate that relationship at any point. The kid knew about this party well in advance, and should have asked off and used his personal or vacation time for it.  And BTW, for all you that think supervisors should not look to Myspace for employee info get real. Myspace is becoming all too common and will continue to be an excellent resource to get a good overall view of the prospective employees attitudes,  Believe me when I tell you that HR managers in big corporations are searching before they hire you........
Link Posted: 10/31/2006 2:29:40 PM EDT
[#21]

Quoted:

Quoted:

Quoted:
YOU'RE FIRED!!!

I found it in AZ HTF, when he posted it......I thought it was SWEET enough to keep on hand for a thread such as this.

nice, i don't think i was a member when he posted it.... yeah camping with thoes guys would be fun...but he moved to cali, actually i think even before the pic was taken
Link Posted: 10/31/2006 2:47:49 PM EDT
[#22]

Quoted:
I'm suprised by the number of replies that are defending the kid that got fired.  1911greg did the right thing. It is his business, and his decision to make. The responses were typical to the "entitlement" attitude that is becoming such a plague on this nation. The kid is not "entitled" to that job. It is a privledge for him to be employed there, and it should be the employers and employee's right to terminate that relationship at any point. The kid knew about this party well in advance, and should have asked off and used his personal or vacation time for it.  And BTW, for all you that think supervisors should not look to Myspace for employee info get real. Myspace is becoming all too common and will continue to be an excellent resource to get a good overall view of the prospective employees attitudes,  Believe me when I tell you that HR managers in big corporations are searching before they hire you........

YOU are EXACTLY correct.
Link Posted: 10/31/2006 3:08:10 PM EDT
[#23]

Quoted:

Quoted:

Quoted:

Quoted:

What if the person was one of your best employees, doesn't have to be a kid, could be anyone, and they lied or screwed up, and add to this, you had already fired someone else for lying or screwing up prior to this

there is alot of cash around and a lot of merchandise, if i cannot trust you, you are no good to me

You said you run a restaurant. I bet you have way more credit/debit transactions than you do cash. And what merchandise? He gonna run off with a chicken leg?

So in other words, you run a restaurant full of trustworthy snitches?

its about 50% cash 50% credit and a dishonest person also has a lot of power with those Credit Cards.  As far as merchandise I have busted many for stealing (or trying to steal) booze.  

even caught a kid trying to steal a fucking box of veal!

Caught a guy eating a ribeye in  a hamburger bun.Dishonest employees can break you fast!

You are an investigator..........
Link Posted: 10/31/2006 3:10:33 PM EDT
[#24]
Wow! You da man....

You fired a 20something kid because he had a Halloween party and called in sick. What kind of dick are you?

Calling is sick after big party holidays is the American way.

I bet you were a bookworm nerd as a kid and all through college.
Link Posted: 10/31/2006 4:21:05 PM EDT
[#25]

Quoted:
Wow! You da man....

You fired a 20something kid because he had a Halloween party and called in sick. What kind of dick are you?

No, he fired him for calling out and going to a party instead of work.  If you want to work with a bunch of slackers that will not carry their weight, that’s your problem.  I don’t.

I almost let someone go for storming out of work in a hissy fit the other day.  Since he came right back he got a second chance.  Happens again, good bye.
Link Posted: 10/31/2006 4:52:22 PM EDT
[#26]

Quoted:

Quoted:

Sick leave is NOT vacation, it’s for being sick. Sick leave is a benefit that keeps people who are sick from coming into work and infecting the rest of the crew.

If you want a day off and you’re not sick, then you take vacation.

If you call in sick and you're not, then you are a liar.

Pretty Simple

You have never worked with civil service or contractors have you?

Some employers are ok with their employees using sick leave as additional vacation, but most are not.

Just because people lie and cheat the system doesn't mean its ok.

I worked for the state Government for 7 years and during that time,  I saw many who abused their sick leave privileges at the expense of the tax payers.  I eventually saw the error of my ways and moved back to the private sector. YMMV
Link Posted: 10/31/2006 5:00:41 PM EDT
[#27]

Quoted:

Quoted:
Wow! You da man....

No, he fired him for calling out and going to a party instead of work.  If you want to work with a bunch of slackers that will not carry their weight, that’s your problem.  I don’t.

I almost let someone go for storming out of work in a hissy fit the other day.  Since he came right back he got a second chance.  Happens again, good bye.

YEp....HELL, I fired a guy when he told me he didnt know who Led Zeplin was. (not entirely the reason obviously, but it sure didnt help the situation.......the dude was 25 and didnt have a clue who or what Led Zepplin was?......COME ON!!)
Link Posted: 10/31/2006 5:17:28 PM EDT
[#28]

Quoted:

Quoted:

Quoted:
Wow! You da man....

YEp....HELL, I fired a guy when he told me he didnt know who Led Zeplin was. (not entirely the reason obviously, but it sure didnt help the situation.......the dude was 25 and didnt have a clue who or what Led Zepplin was?......COME ON!!)

You should be fired for not knowing who Led Zep is.

You should not be fired for lying about a sick day... Now if it was excessive (over the company allowed sick time) then I would agree but, if the kid was within the allotted sick day time it is NOT the companies business as to what or why he was out of work. Period.
Link Posted: 10/31/2006 5:32:04 PM EDT
[#29]

Quoted:

Quoted:

Quoted:

Quoted:
Wow! You da man....

You should not be fired for lying about a sick day... Now if it was excessive (over the company allowed sick time) then I would agree but, if the kid was within the allotted sick day time it is NOT the companies business as to what or why he was out of work. Period.

About the only thing that I will not forgive my employees is lying.  If you tell me that you would like a day off for a party and we can support it, I'll do everything I can to make it work.

You start calling out just because you don't want to come to work and making the other employees work 12 hour days covering your ass, your gone.  Your fellow employees may have plans too.
Link Posted: 11/1/2006 6:49:10 AM EDT
[#30]

Quoted:

Quoted:

Quoted:

Quoted:
Wow! You da man....

He didnt fire him for taking a sick day, he fired him for LYING. The kid took a sick day when he should have follow the policy for taking a VACATION day. If he had given his employer notice he want off that day then boss would have been able to covered the employee's duties.

SICK DAY = NO NOTICE  = LOSS OF PRODUCTION OR COVERAGE = LOSS REVENUE.

VAC DAY  = DUTIES COVERED = NO LOSS OF REVENUE.
and led zeplin has always suck.
Link Posted: 11/1/2006 7:36:13 AM EDT
[#31]

Quoted:

Quoted:

Quoted:
Right to work states are so cool ... you can fire someone for any non-Federal reason (age, sex, sexual orientation, race, national origin, or religion).

Oh, you're left-handed ... you're fired!

Yeah, unless you're the one getting fired for no reason at all.

AB

bah, right to work made it possible for me to witness a guy get fired because "he's irritating."
My buddy and i worked for a farm. He worked full time as the Assistant Manager, and i was just parttime weekend help.  The kid in question was fired by my friend, being told "you have long passed the point where you are more irritating that useful... go."
well the kid and his dad came up the next day, ironically while we were lounging around the feed room shooting the breeze, and his dad starts into my friend saying "how can you fire my son just because you dont like him?" (the kid is standing behind daddy with a shiteating grin) to which my friend replied "i didnt fire him because i didnt like him, i fired him because he irritates me.  Not specific enough for you?  Your son does not show up on time for his scheduled shifts... the work day starts at 8, not 930.  When he is here, he doesnt do his job, he feeds animals the wrong food in the wrong amounts, he forgets to lock cages and leaves animals in the holding pens.  He refuses to clean the stalls, and he bombards us endlessly with his tales of teenage conquest while we are having to do the work he is supposed to have done.  When he doesnt come in to work high, he comes in hungover.  It is actually harder to do this job with his help that by myself.  He is stupid, lazy, and worthless.  He irritates me."  You shoulda seen the smile melt off this little bastard's face.
His dad, undeterred, says "you're calling my son lazy, but you two are just sitting in here doing nothing."

"sir, we're done already.  We finished feeding and cleaning the entire farm before lunch.  We are just waiting til it's time to feed the afternoon bottles."

This kid was a slacker, he needed to go. I am saying someone who arrives on time, is never sick, completes his work in a timely fashion, helps others when asked, stays late if needed, and has a 100% efficiency rating, and is the top producer in the department is fired. How is that ok? Bah indeed.

AB
Link Posted: 11/1/2006 7:54:53 AM EDT
[#32]

Quoted:

Quoted:

Quoted:

Quoted:

Quoted:
Wow! You da man....

He didnt fire him for taking a sick day, he fired him for LYING. The kid took a sick day when he should have follow the policy for taking a VACATION day. If he had given his employer notice he want off that day then boss would have been able to covered the employee's duties.

and led zeplin has always suck.

Totally SUCK! But my point was I didnt want someone who lived in a cave his whole life to be working on VERY technical machinery. Plus he was lazy and over qualified himself in the job interview.
Link Posted: 11/1/2006 9:05:33 AM EDT
[#33]
My brother-in-law is in the fast food franchise business.  He feels that he is lucky.  The company told him that the turnover rate would be 400%.  He is experiencing only 300%.

There are really some basic work skills, like being able to control your life so that you get to work on time.  There are other skills like brushing your teeth, taking a bath, getting your clothes washed, making a bed, shinning your shoes, and making a meal.  

I have to admit that I was shocked in basic training as to the number of physically adult people that there were around me that lacked those basic skills.

I can tell you that my brother-in-law is hurting for managers who can show up on time, open or close a store, supervise other employees and make decisions.
Link Posted: 11/1/2006 9:07:13 AM EDT
[#34]

Quoted:

Nice summary, and a point that so many here seem to have been unable to grasp.  When you take a job, you have a responsiblity.  If a party comes up that you want to attend, then you ask off in advance, or trade shifts with someone.  

When I tended bar (centuries ago,) many times I had to tend a busy bar while restocking alone because the bar back had better things to do than come to work.  Sometimes I had to tend the bar AND wait on the tables in the lounge area because waitresses called in "sick," so cocktail waitresses were pulled to wait restaurant tables and I was stuck alone.  In situations like that, customers don't get good service, then they get annoyed, leave a crappy tip, and leave for another place.  In spite of working my ass ragged, the result was that the bar AND I ended up losing money because somebody had better things to do than show up at work.

I went through the same thing working in a record store.  Kids would call in sick at the last minute for a party or a concert or a date or whatever, and then I would not have enough people to run the store well.  Too long lines because of a shortage of cashiers means people get impatient and go somewhere else.  Not enough people on the floor means merchandise (in this case tapes) walk out the door in huge numbers.

If you have one of those jobs where blowing off a shift means that your work simply piles up on your desk until you do it tomorrow, then good for you.  When co-workers and/or customers are depending on you to be there, then you need to either find someone to cover your shift, or suck it up, say "I'll catch the next party," and get your ass to work.  If you can't/won't do that, then goodbye and good riddance.

And for those of you who want to declare that "If I party on MY time, it's NOT the boss' business!" I agree with you... as long as you can still make it to work the next day, and in condition to do your job.  If your partying means you are too tired/still drunk/hung over to do your job, then YOU MADE IT the boss' business!

WTF is so damn hard to understand about this stuff?
Link Posted: 11/1/2006 9:13:07 AM EDT
[#35]
Lying irks me.
Link Posted: 11/1/2006 9:43:39 AM EDT
[#36]

Quoted:

This kid was a slacker, he needed to go. I am saying someone who arrives on time, is never sick, completes his work in a timely fashion, helps others when asked, stays late if needed, and has a 100% efficiency rating, and is the top producer in the department is fired. How is that ok? Bah indeed.

AB

well just because someone like that could be fired, they arent likely to be.  Id suggest that there was some other kind of underlying factor.  A manager'd have to be pretty dumb to fire his top employee on a whim.
From the tone, it sounds like you are speaking from personal experience... maybe not.
If so, id like to hear the details of it.
Link Posted: 11/1/2006 10:13:21 AM EDT
[#37]

Quoted:

Quoted:

AB

well just because someone like that could be fired, they arent likely to be.  Id suggest that there was some other kind of underlying factor.  A manager'd have to be pretty dumb to fire his top employee on a whim.
From the tone, it sounds like you are speaking from personal experience... maybe not.

Personal experience? Yes. Details? If I had the "details" I would love to share them with you. This is exactly what is wrong with a right to work state. The employer doesn't have to tell you why he fires you. So in my opinion,"right to work states are cool" is an utterly asinine statement made by someone who is not knowledgeable on the subject, and should keep his comments about the matter silent.

AB
Link Posted: 11/1/2006 10:54:54 AM EDT
[#38]
Having worked as a worker and a manager in both "right to work"  and "you cant fire me without cause" states I know both sides.

What effect does a Right to Work law have on a state's standard of living?
The National Right to Work Committee has called attention to the fact that Right to Work states enjoy a higher standard of living than do non-Right to Work states. Families in Right to Work states, on average, have greater after-tax income and purchasing power than do those families living in non-Right to Work states, independent studies reveal. What's more, Right to Work states have greater economic vitality, official Department of Labor statistics show, with faster growth in manufacturing and nonagricultural jobs, lower unemployment rates and fewer work stoppages.

www.nrtw.org/b/rtw_faq.htm
Now this site could be bias since it supports the right to work idea.

Give me less goverment EVERYTIME. Right to work states are COOL.
Link Posted: 11/1/2006 11:06:39 AM EDT
[#39]

Quoted:
Having worked as a worker and a manager in both "right to work"  and "you cant fire me without cause" states I know both sides.

What effect does a Right to Work law have on a state's standard of living?
The National Right to Work Committee has called attention to the fact that Right to Work states enjoy a higher standard of living than do non-Right to Work states. Families in Right to Work states, on average, have greater after-tax income and purchasing power than do those families living in non-Right to Work states, independent studies reveal. What's more, Right to Work states have greater economic vitality, official Department of Labor statistics show, with faster growth in manufacturing and nonagricultural jobs, lower unemployment rates and fewer work stoppages.

www.nrtw.org/b/rtw_faq.htm
Now this site could be bias since it supports the right to work idea.

Give me less goverment EVERYTIME. Right to work states are COOL.

I fail to see where an employer has the right to terminate someone for doing his job. Not cool.

AB
Link Posted: 11/1/2006 11:19:42 AM EDT
[#40]

Quoted:

Quoted:

Quoted:

AB

Personal experience? Yes. Details? If I had the "details" I would love to share them with you. This is exactly what is wrong with a right to work state. The employer doesn't have to tell you why he fires you. So in my opinion,"right to work states are cool" is an utterly asinine statement made by someone who is not knowledgeable on the subject, and should keep his comments about the matter silent.

AB

Bullshit.  If an employer in any state fails to keep good records on employees he has problems with, he is opening himself up for a lawsuit.  And as stated earlier, a company that fires a person for no god reason will likely have that person's UEI taken f;rom their account.

And finally, good employees are not fired without some very good reason.  Companies/employers try to keep good employees.  Those of you who dislike right-to-work because you see bosses firing good employees are simply wacked out.  Doesn't happen.  
Link Posted: 11/1/2006 11:36:13 AM EDT
[#41]

Quoted:

Quoted:

Quoted:

Quoted:

AB

AB

Bullshit.  If an employer in any state fails to keep good records on employees he has problems with, he is opening himself up for a lawsuit.  And as stated earlier, a company that fires a person for no god reason will likely have that person's UEI taken f;rom their account.

And finally, good employees are not fired without some very good reason.  Companies/employers try to keep good employees.  Those of you who dislike right-to-work because you see bosses firing good employees are simply wacked out.  Doesn't happen.  

Not bullshit. I went to an attorney, he basically said, "sorry 'bout yer luck". In AZ an employer can fire you and not have a reason, or tell you why. Does happen.

AB
Link Posted: 11/1/2006 12:19:18 PM EDT
[#42]

Quoted:

I fail to see where an employer has the right to terminate someone for doing his job. Not cool.

AB

What is this right of an employee to tell his employer how to run his business you speak of ? Its NOT the employee's job, he just works there.

The JOB belongs to his employer, his employer is in business to make money. Nobody starts a business so somebody else has a job.

Link Posted: 11/1/2006 12:25:10 PM EDT
[#43]

Quoted:

Quoted:

Quoted:

Quoted:

Quoted:

AB

AB

Not bullshit. I went to an attorney, he basically said, "sorry 'bout yer luck". In AZ an employer can fire you and not have a reason, or tell you why. Does happen.

AB

In most of the US, you can be fired for any reason or no reason at all.  
Link Posted: 11/1/2006 12:31:58 PM EDT
[#44]

Quoted:

Quoted:

Nice summary, and a point that so many here seem to have been unable to grasp.  When you take a job, you have a responsiblity.  If a party comes up that you want to attend, then you ask off in advance, or trade shifts with someone.  

When I tended bar (centuries ago,) many times I had to tend a busy bar while restocking alone because the bar back had better things to do than come to work.  Sometimes I had to tend the bar AND wait on the tables in the lounge area because waitresses called in "sick," so cocktail waitresses were pulled to wait restaurant tables and I was stuck alone.  In situations like that, customers don't get good service, then they get annoyed, leave a crappy tip, and leave for another place.  In spite of working my ass ragged, the result was that the bar AND I ended up losing money because somebody had better things to do than show up at work.

I went through the same thing working in a record store.  Kids would call in sick at the last minute for a party or a concert or a date or whatever, and then I would not have enough people to run the store well.  Too long lines because of a shortage of cashiers means people get impatient and go somewhere else.  Not enough people on the floor means merchandise (in this case tapes) walk out the door in huge numbers.

If you have one of those jobs where blowing off a shift means that your work simply piles up on your desk until you do it tomorrow, then good for you.  When co-workers and/or customers are depending on you to be there, then you need to either find someone to cover your shift, or suck it up, say "I'll catch the next party," and get your ass to work.  If you can't/won't do that, then goodbye and good riddance.

And for those of you who want to declare that "If I party on MY time, it's NOT the boss' business!" I agree with you... as long as you can still make it to work the next day, and in condition to do your job.  If your partying means you are too tired/still drunk/hung over to do your job, then YOU MADE IT the boss' business!

WTF is so damn hard to understand about this stuff?

I couldn't have said it better myself.

CR
Link Posted: 11/1/2006 12:39:52 PM EDT
[#45]

Quoted:

Quoted:

Quoted:

Quoted:

AB

AB

wrong on the first part.  Right to Work says you cannot sue for lost wages if you were dismissed for a non-federal reason.

AB, sorry to hear about your shitty experience with it... ive been there too (though i may have deserved it... i can be a dick sometimes.)  From the other side though it is nice to not have to deal with the political bs to fire someone.  Fuck warnings and notices... you fuck up, you get the boot. period.
Link Posted: 11/1/2006 1:02:41 PM EDT
[#46]

Quoted:

Quoted:

Quoted:

Quoted:

Quoted:

AB

AB

wrong on the first part.  Right to Work says you cannot sue for lost wages if you were dismissed for a non-federal reason.

AB, sorry to hear about your shitty experience with it... ive been there too (though i may have deserved it... i can be a dick sometimes.)  From the other side though it is nice to not have to deal with the political bs to fire someone.  Fuck warnings and notices... you fuck up, you get the boot. period.

YEP, Employers dont just fire people for the hell of it.....They have a business and if the employee is not up to parr, they are canned. Why would an employer fire someone if it wasnt in the best interest for THEY'RE company......To sabatoge they're business just to get back at an employee for something personal?I dont think so.

This is America and it's about production, simple as that.

Right to work states ROCK!
Link Posted: 11/1/2006 3:24:30 PM EDT
[#47]

Quoted:

Quoted:

Quoted:

AB

AB

If you were fired, chances are either 1. Your judgement of your own value is inflated, and you deserved it, or 2. Your employer is mentally disturbed, and you should be glad that you are no longer working for him.

Assuming the second, if your employer is so whacked out that he would fire a good employee for no reason, why in the world do you want to force him to continue employing you? What good do you think could come from this? What do you think your workplace is going to be like if your employer want to fire you, but can't because of legal issues? Why wouldn't you be happy to learn that your boss is an idiot so that you can go find a job working for someone who wants you to be there?

Right to work is cool. Belief in entitlement is lame.
Link Posted: 11/1/2006 3:29:06 PM EDT
[#48]
The best thing about right to work states is that even though I am stuck with a union shop, I don't have to join or give them my money.  
Link Posted: 11/1/2006 6:31:06 PM EDT
[#49]
Well, there's probably a lot more to the story than this...  I doubt it was an isolated incident.

Personally, nothing kills morale at my workplace like people calling in sick all the time.  My boss went out of town for a few days last month and 3 people called in sick that day...  What are the odds?  Nobody got fired, but the rest of us that had to pick up the slack were pretty pissed.

Either that or Greg's an asshole
Link Posted: 11/2/2006 6:19:12 AM EDT
[#50]

Quoted:
Well, there's probably a lot more to the story than this...  I doubt it was an isolated incident.

Personally, nothing kills morale at my workplace like people calling in sick all the time.  My boss went out of town for a few days last month and 3 people called in sick that day...  What are the odds?  Nobody got fired, but the rest of us that had to pick up the slack were pretty pissed.

Either that or Greg's an asshole

[ARFCOM] Get both [/ARFCOM]
Page / 5
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top