Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Page / 3
Next Page Arrow Left
Link Posted: 10/29/2006 1:00:56 PM EDT
[#1]

Quoted:
*If someone could invent a modification for the Mini to reliably accept M-16/AR mags, he would be a rich man.

Ive look into this, and i say its impossible with out modifying the mag itself, or the reciver of the gun. There is not enough room for the AR mag to be inserted all the way up to where the bolt would be able to strip rounds off the mag
Link Posted: 10/29/2006 1:05:54 PM EDT
[#2]

Quoted:

Quoted:
*If someone could invent a modification for the Mini to reliably accept M-16/AR mags, he would be a rich man.

Ive look into this, and i say its impossible with out modifying the mag itself, or the reciver of the gun. There is not enough room for the AR mag to be inserted all the way up to where the bolt would be able to strip rounds off the mag

Yes the front of the mini-14 mag has a narrow portion thats stepped down from the normal width.  Besides the catch arragements are total different.

It would be far easier to make Mini-14 mags work in an AR, but thats just all ass backwards
Link Posted: 10/29/2006 1:34:26 PM EDT
[#3]

Quoted:

Quoted:

Quoted:

Yes the front of the mini-14 mag has a narrow portion thats stepped down from the normal width.  Besides the catch arragements are total different.

It would be far easier to make Mini-14 mags work in an AR, but thats just all ass backwards

Would a Galil-style adaptor work ?  
Link Posted: 10/29/2006 1:36:58 PM EDT
[#4]

Quoted:

Quoted:

Quoted:

Quoted:

The mag well of the mini is the limiting factor as it was designed around the narrow front end, so no AR mag will work b/c the mag is too wide.
Link Posted: 10/29/2006 1:38:59 PM EDT
[#5]
Looks like an AR wannabe.
Link Posted: 10/29/2006 1:40:34 PM EDT
[#6]

Quoted:

Quoted:

Quoted:

Quoted:
I could be mistaken, but the mini in the OP is an AC556 I think.

Yes it is, note selector switch.

i14.tinypic.com/2ii9ziv.jpg

Yep, rock en roll.

Does anyone rememeber the Ruger X-GI? It was advertised back in the day but never did make production. It was for all pratical puposes a a Mini 14 in 308. Get it? X-GI? It never made the streets because it could not meet Rugers accuracy standards, imagine. that

I thought it was shelved because they were having severe reliability problems with it.  i could definitely be wrong.

I was told by a Ruger rep at the time that they could not get the gas system down right and the weapon battered itself to death within a few hundred rounds.

Honestly, if they did something about the wandering zero problem and came out with a reliable and obtainable mag I'd buy one again, but not at the current prices.  

Seriously, what is up with Ruger prices? You have two guns; the 10-22 and the Mini, that have been in production with minimal changes for almost 40 years.  No machinery to pay off, no RD cost to absorb. Most parts are cast or plastic with minimal machine work.

Academy current prices are 205$ and 598$ respectively. Double what comparable rifles from several different manufacturers would be.
Link Posted: 10/29/2006 1:45:46 PM EDT
[#7]

Quoted:
I own one. It doesn't group like my Ar's do but I can hit a man at well over 200 yards somewhere com. On the other hand it has always fired, not one jam in thousands of rounds.

To be honest I wouldn't buy another one.
I also would not hesitate if I had to defend myself with it.

Elvis

Pretty much.

I cleaned mine for the first time 15 years & maybe 8,000 rounds after I bought it.

Link Posted: 10/29/2006 1:50:56 PM EDT
[#8]

Quoted:

Quoted:

Quoted:

Quoted:
No, and I'll never buy a gun from Ruger ever. Mr. Ruger (effectively) gave the go-ahead for the AWB; he's a huge hater of the EBR and any gun that can hold more than 10 rounds for that matter...

Not this made up bullshit again.

I bet Glock and S&W get a pass from you.

Go try and buy a factory folding stock from Ruger as a non-LE.  See how much they support your right to own an evil assault-weapon type folding stock.

PS my Glocks and S&Ws are either used or pre-HUD.

See my above post on the purchase of used weapons and their effectiveness for a "boycott."

I disagree.  Sale of new guns by a dealer usually results in a restock of that same gun by said dealer, from .  Purchasing a used gun (most of mine were from private sales) usually does not.  

I'm sticking to my boycott of Ruger, S&W, Colt, etc.  

Others can feel free to do nothing against gun mfrs that don't support our rights.  That's their choice.

Link Posted: 10/29/2006 3:08:02 PM EDT
[#9]
I bought a Mini 14 as my first .223.  It is a reliable gun with good mags.  Six months later I bought an AR and sold the mini shortly after.  The AR kicks the Rugers ass in accuracy and ablility to be customized.  
Link Posted: 10/29/2006 3:19:56 PM EDT
[#10]

Quoted:
No, and I'll never buy a gun from Ruger ever. Mr. Ruger (effectively) gave the go-ahead for the AWB; he's a huge hater of the EBR and any gun that can hold more than 10 rounds for that matter...

man are you kidding me? I didn't know wthat mr ruger was an anti assault rifle guy. I shtis for real? If so, ill never own or carry another one of his guns in my shiop again.
Link Posted: 10/29/2006 3:21:51 PM EDT
[#11]

Quoted:

Quoted:

Quoted:

Quoted:

Quoted:

The mag well of the mini is the limiting factor as it was designed around the narrow front end, so no AR mag will work b/c the mag is too wide.

If some one does this and becomes rich, remember I had the idea...

Some kind of sleeve that would slide over the AR mag and neck down to a Mini 14 mag.  the follower would probably have to be a Mini 14 one.

Would it work?
Link Posted: 10/29/2006 3:22:43 PM EDT
[#12]

Quoted:
I like a Mini-14 fine for plinking. But it is no comparison to an AR.

+1
Link Posted: 10/29/2006 3:40:33 PM EDT
[#13]

Quoted:

Quoted:

man are you kidding me? I didn't know wthat mr ruger was an anti assault rifle guy. I shtis for real? If so, ill never own or carry another one of his guns in my shiop again.

Yes. With the number of unsavory associations the Mini 14 had gained with militias and extremist movements during the late 1970's and early 1980's, William Ruger expressed a highly unpopular position (amongst firearms owners, users and enthusiasts) by stating his personal views on the "sporting" nature of certain firearms.

In his letter to members of the House and Senate on 30 March 1989, Mr. Ruger stated in what has come to be known as "The Ruger Letter":

The best way to address the firepower concern is therefore not to try to outlaw or license many millions of older and perfectly legitimate firearms (which would be a licensing effort of staggering proportions) but to prohibit the possession of high capacity magazines. By a simple, complete, and unequivocal ban on large capacity magazines, all the difficulty of defining "assault rifles" and "semi-automatic rifles" is eliminated. The large capacity magazine itself, separate or attached to the firearm, becomes the prohibited item. A single amendment to Federal firearms laws could prohibit their possession or sale and would effectively implement these objectives.

In addition to the furor amongst hunters, sportsmen and shooters caused by "The Ruger Letter", Mr. Ruger made additional comments during an interview with NBCs Tom Brokaw that angered 2nd Amendment proponents even further, by saying that "no honest man needs more than 10 rounds in any gun…" and "I never meant for simple civilians to have my 20 and 30 round magazines…"

This position, coming from an important firearms manufacturer such as Mr. Ruger, caused outrage in the shooting sports community and led to a boycott of Ruger products that is still practiced by many firearms purchasers to this day. "The Ruger Letter" is widely accepted as being the genesis for those parts of legislation that were drafted 5 years later in the now defunct Assault Weapons Ban which prohibited the manufacture of any magazines holding over 10 rounds of ammunition for civilian sale.

While it is unknown what the true motives behind "The Ruger Letter" really were, it is widely speculated that his position on magazine capacity was more a matter of smart business than one of individual philosophy. Given the legislative climate regarding firearms during that time (the late 1980's/early 1990's), the prospect of an outright ban that may have impacted one of Rugers most popular and profitable models (the Mini 14) was a very real possibility.

By taking preemptive measures to shift the focus from the "guns" to the "magazine capacity", this would allow Sturm, Ruger Inc. to continue production with their Mini 14 line of firearms for civilian sale. Any legislation regarding magazines would have had zero impact on their bottom line, given that Ruger maintained a company policy refusing to sell Mini 14 magazines over 5 rounds (which wouldn't have been affected), even prior to the 1994 legislation mandating such.

And to whoever said about me having a Glock or an S&W; I'll never buy a GLOCK and I've never bought a S&W with MY MONEY. I was given a 9mm S&W pistol as a gift awhile back.  If I'm going to buy a plastic pistol, I'll get something from an American company (like an XD, or heaven-forbid, a Sigma)
Link Posted: 10/29/2006 3:50:36 PM EDT
[#14]

Quoted:
I have been thinking of buying one, i know a guy that one for sale along with 1K of ammo for 400.00

Do that.  Keep the ammo and throw away the rifle.
Link Posted: 10/29/2006 3:50:48 PM EDT
[#15]
Ruger tries to keep a low profile and it helped save them from the first AWB, but if there's another, they're done too.
Link Posted: 10/29/2006 4:08:38 PM EDT
[#16]
I'm still going to buy one if I find a stainless model for a good price. My father's wanted one for as long as I can remember, but never got around to buying one, too busy pissing away money on his damned kids. He's too much into the "shooting for the sake of shooting" aspect of it and I don't think any of the problems listed here would interfere with that. Not to mention the detail that he's gettin on in years and he wouldn't be too accurate with it anyways. And if he wants a real tack driver, he can go back to the single shot .22 with the peep sights he used to shoot in competition in the Navy.

I shot my uncle's Ranch Rifle when I was young (young enough to anxiously ask "how much does the .223 kick?" ) and it was just a fun gun to shoot. It's not like I really took too much care aiming anyways, it was too cool for my and my brother to shoot a "real" semi-auto rifle that wasn't some piddly little .22. That barrel got hot fast.
Link Posted: 10/29/2006 4:29:25 PM EDT
[#17]

Quoted:

Quoted:
bahahaha! the mini-14! the answer to a question no one asked. Explain to me again what the purpose of that gun is again? Maybe 30 years ago when you didnt have the choices you have today it made sense but now? i just see no point to that weapon based on a couple of things, #1 no good mags (unless your a cop right?)
#2 inaccuracy (everyone i know complains about it) #3 no pistol grip unless you make a special parts order. #4 only 10 rounds of .223? (a lot of people consider .223 too small, though i dont)

THe AR, the AK and the SKS can all be had for about the same price and realy have none of these inherent problems i just mentioned. the mags are cheaper, the AK and SKS shoot a bigger bullet, the AR is much more accurate and all of them are AS reliable as the Mini 14.

Uh, the SKS has a fixed 10-round magazine, and no pistol grip (without swapping out the stock with new parts - same for the Mini).

(ETA - I mean *real* SKS's, not that chicom crap that accepts AK mags)

Oh, and AR all the way.

First off my post was short, so i didnt include ALL the features of ALL three weapons i mentioned. I know that the SKS has a 10 round fixed mag. But for its price and its bigger .30 bullet and its accuracy even the SKS is a viable alternative to the Mini-14.
Also you can without paying through the wazoo for a "factory ruger 30 round" get the detachable 30 rounders for the SKS, and as far as i know they are just as good as the fixed mag. And if you REALLY want (maybe you live in PRK) you can get a 30 round FIXED mag! they are the same as the 10 mag just a lot bigger. ANd dont forget above all that the AR the AK AND the SKS are MIL-SPEC weapons that were adopted by countries in huge amounts. They have been tried and tested till the barrels were shot out by all nations. Neither the Mini-14 nor its after market mags can make the same claim. its still the odd man out IMO.
Link Posted: 10/29/2006 4:47:16 PM EDT
[#18]
Never used a Mini 14.

But, my AR is 100% reliable.

I do want a .30 Carbine though.
Link Posted: 10/29/2006 6:43:52 PM EDT
[#19]
Mini-14 Sucks!
Link Posted: 10/29/2006 6:47:49 PM EDT
[#20]

Quoted:

Quoted:

Quoted:

Quoted:

Quoted:

Quoted:

If some one does this and becomes rich, remember I had the idea...

Some kind of sleeve that would slide over the AR mag and neck down to a Mini 14 mag.  the follower would probably have to be a Mini 14 one.

Would it work?

Why?  Just buy a damned 30 round mini-14 mag for 11 bucks and be done with it!  Plenty of reliable hicaps on the market today for decent money.
Page / 3
Next Page Arrow Left
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top