Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Page / 3
Link Posted: 10/28/2006 3:30:33 PM EDT
[#1]

Quoted:
My friend's father has one with a heavy barrel on it.  Shoots great, but i stil prefer my AR.

IIRC, wasn't there a place in TX. that tuned up Mini's?

Accuracy Rifle Systems?

Danny
Link Posted: 10/28/2006 3:36:57 PM EDT
[#2]

Quoted:

Quoted:
Well, I have one that looks just like this:

images.gunsamerica.com/upload/976715393-1.jpg

...and I love it.

Granted, haven't had a chance to actually SHOOT the damned thing, but I love it.

I have some minor barrel work planned for it in the future. Imagine this:

users.zoominternet.net/~picplace/allblackac556.JPG

But without the stock painted black.

I assume that is a "post ban" receiver set into a pre ban factory folder stock? The common ones I have seen have the front site/bayo lug as one piece attached to the barrel. That barrel configuration looks post 94, correct if I am mistaken please.

... Notice the fun button?
Link Posted: 10/28/2006 3:59:08 PM EDT
[#3]
bahahaha! the mini-14! the answer to a question no one asked. Explain to me again what the purpose of that gun is again? Maybe 30 years ago when you didnt have the choices you have today it made sense but now? i just see no point to that weapon based on a couple of things, #1 no good mags (unless your a cop right?)
#2 inaccuracy (everyone i know complains about it) #3 no pistol grip unless you make a special parts order. #4 only 10 rounds of .223? (a lot of people consider .223 too small, though i dont)

THe AR, the AK and the SKS can all be had for about the same price and realy have none of these inherent problems i just mentioned. the mags are cheaper, the AK and SKS shoot a bigger bullet, the AR is much more accurate and all of them are AS reliable as the Mini 14.
Link Posted: 10/28/2006 4:04:09 PM EDT
[#4]
Did you guys notice something special about those Rugers on Page 1?  They're both AC-556, selective fire weapons.  I'll take one anyday (but not over a selective fire AR).
Link Posted: 10/28/2006 4:11:05 PM EDT
[#5]
I had one. After a marathon attempt at zeroing the POS, I gave up and sold it.
Link Posted: 10/28/2006 4:17:38 PM EDT
[#6]

Quoted:
bahahaha! the mini-14! the answer to a question no one asked. Explain to me again what the purpose of that gun is again? Maybe 30 years ago when you didnt have the choices you have today it made sense but now? i just see no point to that weapon based on a couple of things, #1 no good mags (unless your a cop right?)
#2 inaccuracy (everyone i know complains about it) #3 no pistol grip unless you make a special parts order. #4 only 10 rounds of .223? (a lot of people consider .223 too small, though i dont)

THe AR, the AK and the SKS can all be had for about the same price and realy have none of these inherent problems i just mentioned. the mags are cheaper, the AK and SKS shoot a bigger bullet, the AR is much more accurate and all of them are AS reliable as the Mini 14.

Uh, the SKS has a fixed 10-round magazine, and no pistol grip (without swapping out the stock with new parts - same for the Mini).

(ETA - I mean *real* SKS's, not that chicom crap that accepts AK mags)

Oh, and AR all the way.
Link Posted: 10/28/2006 4:32:53 PM EDT
[#7]
I've had a couple of them. They're reliable, but as someone else already said, they weren't done very well. And they are WAY too expensive for what you're getting. If Ruger had put some real money into developing them from the beginning, I think that the AR series might  have some serious competition right now. All the Mini 14 turned out to be was a slightly updated M1 carbine.  As I understand, the Mini-14 was tested by the Philippine army in the early 70's, and was found to be not rugged or reliable enough. They ended up going with the M16.......

Ruger shot themselves in the foot from the beginning with the idea of hi-cap mags only to LEO and the "we won't sell you firing pins or other parts because they have to be factory fitted to the gun" thing. Bill Ruger fucked up with the idea for a 10-round magazine limit (no it wasn't his doing, but it was his idea), but he was man enough to admit he fucked up later on.

ETA: Let me clarify that I don't think the Mini-14 is necessarily a bad gun- it's not, but I don't believe that I would buy another if I have other choices. Some of them are better than the rest. FWIW, the GB series that I've handled or seen seem to be "better" than the standard Minis or Ranch rifles. I haven't seen or fired one of the updated Mini-14's (or whatever they are called) yet.
Link Posted: 10/28/2006 4:36:30 PM EDT
[#8]
I'f I lived in California it would probably be a Mini 14 for me.  My Dad's was the first semi auto rifle I ever shot.  It is a seriously nice stainless GB.  I had a ranch rifle for a while but at the price diference I'll take the AR.

IF I lived in Cali I'd have the BBL turned back to 16 inches and put a phantom on it.  I understand that takes care of alot of the accuracy issues.  I'd stay away from the other mods...the big advantage after all, is it doesn't look like an EBR.  
Link Posted: 10/28/2006 4:51:45 PM EDT
[#9]
I likes mine just fine...

Link Posted: 10/28/2006 4:54:23 PM EDT
[#10]

Quoted:

Quoted:

Quoted:
Well, I have one that looks just like this:

images.gunsamerica.com/upload/976715393-1.jpg

...and I love it.

Granted, haven't had a chance to actually SHOOT the damned thing, but I love it.

I have some minor barrel work planned for it in the future. Imagine this:

users.zoominternet.net/~picplace/allblackac556.JPG

But without the stock painted black.

I assume that is a "post ban" receiver set into a pre ban factory folder stock? The common ones I have seen have the front site/bayo lug as one piece attached to the barrel. That barrel configuration looks post 94, correct if I am mistaken please.

... Notice the fun button?

On the wooden stocked one? No, I dont.
Link Posted: 10/28/2006 4:54:48 PM EDT
[#11]
If I want to scare the target I will take the Mini 14.

If I want to hit the target past 100m the M-4 is my choice, I took it to Combat and I trust it.

I have had 2 Mini 14 and they were fine rifles for plinking, but my ARs are much better rifles IMO.

I Like the Mini because it was my fist centerfire rifle, and when I find one in stainless with the original folding I will get it.

FREE
Link Posted: 10/28/2006 4:59:13 PM EDT
[#12]
Nope, and the ones I've shot were NOT reliable

Picky on ammo selection
Link Posted: 10/28/2006 5:03:09 PM EDT
[#13]

Quoted:

The Mini in the photo is a standard rifle/action in a Factory Folder. The action could be pre or postban-----there are no differences.

Ruger made---------

GB14's with a standard stock

GB14's with Factory Folders

Mini's with Standard stock

Mini's with Factory Folders

The guns that came from the Factory with a folder will have the sling mount on the left side of the gasblock.

Also note---

The rifle in the photo that I posted is a GB14 Standard stock gun and the folding stock came from Ruger with a Mini in standard configuration (non-GB). Simple isn't it...
Link Posted: 10/28/2006 5:03:48 PM EDT
[#14]
I'd take a Mini-14, but it would have to be a very good deal.  Something about those little POS rifles has always been appealing to me, and I don't know what it is.
Link Posted: 10/28/2006 5:04:42 PM EDT
[#15]

Quoted:

Quoted:
No, and I'll never buy a gun from Ruger ever. Mr. Ruger (effectively) gave the go-ahead for the AWB; he's a huge hater of the EBR and any gun that can hold more than 10 rounds for that matter...

Not this made up bullshit again.

I bet Glock and S&W get a pass from you.

Oh shit!
I pray no one critiques the AR10 or LARRYG is gonna go to defcon 2!!!
Link Posted: 10/28/2006 5:30:02 PM EDT
[#16]
The mini-14 I had was reliable, but as usual accuracy just was not there.

The mini-30 was reliable and accurate but would only work with the factory 5 rounder.

From now on I will stick with my AR'S.

Link Posted: 10/28/2006 6:58:15 PM EDT
[#17]
M-DC,

What noname posted is correct. Factory folders were available to civilians, and there was (and still are) versions for the police with flash suppressor, bayo lug, etc.

When you look at a Ruger in a factory folder, look at where the front sling swivel is. If it is on the bottom as shown in the pic I posted, then it was a rifle built and sold by Ruger in a standard stock and later transferred to a factory folding stock by the owner. If the swivel is on the side, then it came from Ruger with a folding stock. Mine is a true factory folder model in its original folding stock. Got it on the EE.

Believe you me, I learned all this crap just to buy the one I have, because Lord knows it's not intuitive!
Link Posted: 10/28/2006 7:38:59 PM EDT
[#18]
NO!

Link Posted: 10/28/2006 7:53:32 PM EDT
[#19]

Quoted:

How about "assault rifle that doesn't look like one" in case you actually have to use one for self-defence? Aside from not spooking the sheeple, it would look far less threatening than an EBR as the prosecuter displays it to the jury...
Link Posted: 10/28/2006 8:11:28 PM EDT
[#20]
Good looking but an underperformer.

If they made an accurate version with good aftermarket magazines I would buy it.
Link Posted: 10/28/2006 8:12:00 PM EDT
[#21]
I love my Mini-14. It is as accurate as any semi-auto out there today, period. Of course, It took cash to get it there. It was sent out to Accuracy Systems for a new barrel and action tuning. My brother did the trigger work. It sits in a Hogue overmold stock, and a Weigand Combat rail. A Burris 3-9 pistol scope sits scout style on the rail. With PMI 30's, or any aftermarket 20's it has performed really well. I have no idea how tough it is, because it sits on a bench. The only down side is the really heavy barrel.

Link Posted: 10/28/2006 8:15:54 PM EDT
[#22]
I have one. Bought it during the ban when an AR was way out of my price range. I wasn't looking for an uber tactical gun. Believe it or not, you can find reliable, cheap mags for them.

I also have an AR now and they are no comparison. Not in that the AR is so much better, just that they aren't the same gun. In fact other than caliber, and their being rifles, they don't share much. The Mini isn't a tack driver, but it wasn't designed to be. The AR shoots a little better, but the Mini still isn't a bad weapon. It's just another GLOCK/HK/S&W Sigma/Taurus revolver bashing thread, just with a different title. Shoot what you have and if you don't trust it/like it, get rid of it.

With that said, I am also considering selling my Mini to fund an AR build. It's been a fine gun and I love it some days and hate it others. Who knows.
Link Posted: 10/28/2006 8:21:46 PM EDT
[#23]
A Mini-14 Ranch was my first gun, bought by my father during the ban.  Paid 500 for ranch NIB back about 10 or so years ago.

I can't sell it because its my first gun, and generally you shouldn't sell guns period.  So it has been a money pit to try and bring it up to being usefully accurate.  Gundoc in Oregon (Great West Gunsmithing) did some work to it and its a decent weapon now.

Mine has a eagle HK style front sight and flash hider perm attached to the barrel bringing the over all barrel/FH length to 16.1 inches.  It also has a ultimak rail and a bedded black synthetic conventional sporter stock on it plus a trigger job.  It has a Aimpoint in a ARMs on it as well as a Pentagon X3 in a viking mount on the rail.

I just got a new batch of ammo in and I'll need to rezero.  Iron sight options for the ranch suck donkey balls.  I wish there was a quality click adjustable rear sight for windage and elevation since the front sight is fixed.  Anyway...

Accuracy is about 2 to 3 moa which is far better than out of box.  I'll try and save a couple targets next time at the range and post for arfcom.

Very reliable and easy to do a IAD.  Slap the bolt handle forward and pull to rear solves every problem I've ever had from short stroking (crap ammo getting chawed by the extractor and not coming out) to feeding issues.

After market mags now a days (post ban) are reliable and cheap.  I have 7 sportsmans guide mystery mags that have run flawlessly for several thousand rounds.

Link Posted: 10/28/2006 8:25:28 PM EDT
[#24]
No, I don't.
Link Posted: 10/28/2006 8:28:15 PM EDT
[#25]
I prefer the M4 but I like My Mini-14 too. Prefer blue steel and wood mini-14's.  Do not like the Ruger Ranch Rifle at all.
Link Posted: 10/28/2006 8:34:04 PM EDT
[#26]
The Mini-14 has a few strong points.

1. Low cost.  i bought mine in 1997 for $298.00 NIB.
2. PC appearance. Wood stocked blued steel firearms dont scare the sheeple.
3. Low sight to bore axis. The holdovers for close range shooting are much less than with an AR.
4. Reliability. My Mini-14 is as relaible as any AR I ahve ever owned, and more so than most of my ARs. Cleaning the Mini consists of a bore smake and brushing the primer sealant off the bolt face at the end of the range day.
Link Posted: 10/28/2006 8:36:03 PM EDT
[#27]

Quoted:
unfortunately, The Kalif. D.O.C. arms the prison guard towers with the highly inaccurate mini-14 and .38's. I guess the liberals down there don't want the highly valued convicts being actually hit by a round being fired.

CDC has killed a bunch of people with them.  A few years back they were accused of staging fights in the yard just so they could shoot the convicts.
Link Posted: 10/28/2006 8:37:23 PM EDT
[#28]
only mini i would take would be a ac556 from starship troopers

you have to appreciate a 3 and half foot long rifle in FA with no iron sights and a shotgun underneath.

for that matter i would love the smartgun from aliens too (its just an mg42 with from a Yamaha dirtbikeand a steadicam mount)

Link Posted: 10/28/2006 8:37:56 PM EDT
[#29]
I have one and like it. Had some headaches with aftermarket mags, but after the ban sunset I got some factories and am good to go. It's currentley a "Scout" configuration, factory blued/wood gun with an Ultimak and pistol scope. I should have pics and a range report up next spring when I get back to Texas. I actually prefer the handlinig and operating characteristics of the Mini over the AR, but the accuracy of the Mini isn't near that of the AR.

To the guy that will only buy a Ruger used, I have never figured out the concept that people have about boycotting only "new" weapons from a manufacturer. Buying new or used is no different, Ruger made their money either way - if you buy a new Ruger from a dealer, he doesn't turn around and send a check into Ruger, IT WAS ALREADY PAID FOR by the distributor. Buying used just assures that there is a used market for the guns, so people can buy with the confidence of having some resale value, and are thus less hesitant to buy. But I guess if it somehow makes you feel better...
Link Posted: 10/28/2006 8:41:36 PM EDT
[#30]

Quoted:

The preban thermolds are very god, better than AR Thermolds.  Ruger factory hicaps are about $40.00 from 44.mag.com

#2 inaccuracy (everyone i know complains about it)
Mine will ring a 12" gong 60:60 times at 200M from seated position.  yes the AR is more accurate. But the mini is not as inaccurate as some claim.

My HD carbine is often a Mini-14 with a 30rnd thermold full of XM193 and a surefire. I would rather lose a $298.00 rifle to the evidence locker than a $800.00 rifle.
Link Posted: 10/28/2006 8:44:20 PM EDT
[#31]
Mine ate anything I fed it and ran fine with every mag I bought. Couldn't hit the broad side of a barn with it after the barrel heated though and it really bummed me out because I like the ergoniomics of it alot.

I sold it and I don't regret it. That in itself says it all in my book.

Great idea with a horrible execution.
Link Posted: 10/28/2006 9:42:34 PM EDT
[#32]

Quoted:

Quoted:

Quoted:
No, and I'll never buy a gun from Ruger ever. Mr. Ruger (effectively) gave the go-ahead for the AWB; he's a huge hater of the EBR and any gun that can hold more than 10 rounds for that matter...

Oh shit!
I pray no one critiques the AR10 or LARRYG is gonna go to defcon 2!!!

Yeah, I love criticism from those who don't know what they are talking.
Link Posted: 10/28/2006 9:35:46 PM EDT
[#33]
I like mine a lot even though it's not very accurate.  I don't think I'd choose it over my AR-15, but it does go bang every time.  
Link Posted: 10/29/2006 5:22:00 AM EDT
[#34]

Quoted:

Quoted:

Go try and buy a factory folding stock from Ruger as a non-LE.  See how much they support your right to own an evil assault-weapon type folding stock.

PS my Glocks and S&Ws are either used or pre-HUD.
Link Posted: 10/29/2006 5:28:42 AM EDT
[#35]

Quoted:

Quoted:

Quoted:

Go try and buy a factory folding stock from Ruger as a non-LE.  See how much they support your right to own an evil assault-weapon type folding stock.

PS my Glocks and S&Ws are either used or pre-HUD.

See my above post on the purchase of used weapons and their effectiveness for a "boycott."
Link Posted: 10/29/2006 5:46:41 AM EDT
[#36]
I've shot a couple Mini's and I'll buy one sooner or later. I've always liked the looks of it and the one's that I've shot fit me pretty well. So far as reliability goes, I understand that it's hit or miss with them.
Link Posted: 10/29/2006 6:29:33 AM EDT
[#37]

Quoted:
M-DC,

What noname posted is correct. Factory folders were available to civilians, and there was (and still are) versions for the police with flash suppressor, bayo lug, etc.

When you look at a Ruger in a factory folder, look at where the front sling swivel is. If it is on the bottom as shown in the pic I posted, then it was a rifle built and sold by Ruger in a standard stock and later transferred to a factory folding stock by the owner. If the swivel is on the side, then it came from Ruger with a folding stock. Mine is a true factory folder model in its original folding stock. Got it on the EE.

Believe you me, I learned all this crap just to buy the one I have, because Lord knows it's not intuitive!

OK, got ya. As I posted before years ago I had a stainless semi factory folder w/ a front site mounted to the top of the gas block (along with a flash supressor and a bayo lug that mounted to the barrel) like the full auto ones commonly seen. I should have never got rid of that one I think it may have been an "odd ball".
Link Posted: 10/29/2006 6:42:59 AM EDT
[#38]
Had two,one blued and one stainless.With handloads (55 gn hornady vmatch over 24.5 gn of win 748) and they would shoot well out to 100 yrds.Mine were reliable with the nickle plated USA brand mags I had.I would buy one for a good price,IMHO they are a little pricey new.There are a lot of easy,cheap things that can be done to improve accuracy.Also with the ban gone,quality mags are easy to come by now.I prefer the AR platform,but wouldnt feel undergunned with a mini.Hell the A-team did allright with them
Link Posted: 10/29/2006 6:47:58 AM EDT
[#39]
Link Posted: 10/29/2006 7:07:59 AM EDT
[#40]
Over the years I've had 3.  I sold all of them.  I kept trying to give it a chance, because I really like the concept of the rifle.  But unfortunately they all sucked.  Bad triggers, bad sights, bad mags (unless you spend like $70 apiece), no replacement parts available, etc.  
Link Posted: 10/29/2006 7:18:50 AM EDT
[#41]

I had a mini14 and it functioned perfectly with Ruger mags and was pretty darn accurate for a plinker like me, but my biggest problem was getting third party hicap mags to function. I easily blew 100 dollars on shitty hicap mags that never worked realiably. IN frustration, I sold it for week vacation up in in Ashville NC with my wife and a case of wine.  I made the right decusion.

Link Posted: 10/29/2006 7:47:54 AM EDT
[#42]
I owned a Mini-14 once - with a scope I was lucky to get 2-3 inch groups at 100 yards with 4 inch groups the norm regardless of ammo.  It is the only gun I have ever sold and a big disappointment since my M1 will shoot 2 inch groups with mil peep sights.  I put the money from the 14 sale into a Bushmaster HB that shoots 1/2 moa with the same scope I had on the Mini.  The Mini never jammed on me but then neither has my AR.  The really sad thing is that Ruger could EASILY make the Mini-14 as accurate as the AR by adding a heavy(er) barrel and possibly modifying the gas block but continues to refuse to even though many many people have asked for it.
Link Posted: 10/29/2006 8:25:51 AM EDT
[#43]

Quoted: How about "assault rifle that doesn't look like one" in case you actually have to use one for self-defence? Aside from not spooking the sheeple, it would look far less threatening than an EBR as the prosecuter displays it to the jury...

Oh cripes - not this BS again!
Remember - the only guy ever prosecuted (later acquited) for using an MG in self-defense used a Ruger AC556.
Better stick to a side by side coach gun with birdshot, Jethro.
Link Posted: 10/29/2006 11:44:31 AM EDT
[#44]

Quoted:

Quoted: How about "assault rifle that doesn't look like one" in case you actually have to use one for self-defence? Aside from not spooking the sheeple, it would look far less threatening than an EBR as the prosecuter displays it to the jury...

Remember - the only guy ever prosecuted (later acquited) for using an MG in self-defense used a Ruger AC556.

Perhaps you are familiar with the recent case in AZ where the hiker was convicted of shooting the dog walker.  At least one jury admitted after the verdit that her guilty verdict was based on the fact the hiker used a 10mm with JHP ammo. The prosecution really played up the fact he used a 10mm.

weapon type, caliber, and ammo selection all influence the jury.
Link Posted: 10/29/2006 12:00:39 PM EDT
[#45]
I own both a mini 14 and AR, i like both.  The AR is definatly more accurate, but the Mini is light and handy, and with my choate frontsight/flash supressor and xs ghost ring its atleast as accurate as an AK and alot mroe comfortable to shoulder and shoot.

Once you get past the mag issue the mini is very relaible. Plus i like the way the mini handles recoil, its very light and smooth
Link Posted: 10/29/2006 12:01:54 PM EDT
[#46]

Quoted:
www.red-dawn.net/forums/index.php?act=Attach&type=post&id=111

vs.

www.scott-duff.com/R736_70.JPG

I'd probablly grab the mini 14, something that has better reliablity, and will go bang every time

which one do you like best?

I have to say 16 yr old troll account.
Link Posted: 10/29/2006 12:28:57 PM EDT
[#47]
I hear that they work very well with a Ciener 22LR conversion ....

Most reliable of all of the Ciener conversions .....
Link Posted: 10/29/2006 12:41:04 PM EDT
[#48]
I am no expert on the Mini-14 but I have used the M-16 in the Marines for over 16 years and have been an AR owner for 14 years.

On the positive:

*The Mini would make a fine SHTF alternative rifle to the AR because of its PC look, wooden, conventional stock, etc.  It would be less provactive out in the open than say an all black military looking rifle (if kept stock).

*The mini is light and handy and adequitely accurate for self-defense ranges where you should should be able to identify your target and background.

*The Mini is gas piston operated, though many complain of its execution.

One the negative:

*Is the Mini-14 as durable as an AR?  Can it take being dropped and abused as well?  I think not.

*The blued versions and wooden stocks are not as inherently corrosion resistant as the ARs anodized aluminum alloy, manganese phospated steel, and composite parts.

*Ruger offers only one barrel contour in either the classic blued steel or stainless.  Neither have been known for outstanding accuracy or consistency.  Ruger does dot offer chrome-lining so you are not offered either outstanding accuracy or bore durability.

*Spare parts and logistics.  No other rifle will offer the spare parts and logistical advantage of the M-16/AR family here in the US.

Some thoughts:

*The mini would benefit from an after market barrel and stock but only add to the cost of a supposedly inexpensive sporting rifle.

*If you live in an unprivledged state like California, then you could get by with the mini.

*For SHTF I would not feel unarmed with a Mini as training, good tactics, and adaptation are all part of the equation rather than pure firepower.  I.e. work with what you have.

*If someone could invent a modification for the Mini to reliably accept M-16/AR mags, he would be a rich man.

*A lot of money and resource could be dumped into a Mini to make it better and it might be as good as an AR in totality but not for the same price.

My humble .02 cent opinion
Link Posted: 10/29/2006 12:54:38 PM EDT
[#49]

Quoted:

There's also a chance that a Mini-14 would be associated with militia types.  If you look at the pictures of militias doing their training, many of them have the Mini-14.  

The rifle features prominently in the book Gathering Storm by Morris Dees (a known liberal anti-gunner).  That detail could potentially get someone into trouble in court.  
Link Posted: 10/29/2006 12:57:45 PM EDT
[#50]

Quoted:

Quoted:

Perhaps you are familiar with the recent case in AZ where the hiker was convicted of shooting the dog walker.  At least one jury admitted after the verdit that her guilty verdict was based on the fact the hiker used a 10mm with JHP ammo. The prosecution really played up the fact he used a 10mm.

weapon type, caliber, and ammo selection all influence the jury.

If you rely on a worthless public defender or other idiot for a lawyer then these things happen.

If you in such a case get a good self defense lawyer!  Stop being so paranoid.  Lethal force was justified or it wasn't.  Period.
Page / 3
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top