BCM
User Panel

Site Notices
Arrow Left Previous Page
Page / 2
Posted: 8/5/2019 7:57:17 AM EDT
Link Posted: 8/5/2019 7:59:50 AM EDT
[#1]
I would be amazed that a talking a cow is taking my order and wondering when the acid was going to wear off.
Link Posted: 8/5/2019 8:00:26 AM EDT
[#2]
better than a sharp stick in yer eye!
Link Posted: 8/5/2019 8:01:07 AM EDT
[#3]
Discussion ForumsJump to Quoted PostQuote History
Quoted:
I would be amazed that a talking a cow is taking my order and wondering when the acid was going to wear off.
View Quote
5 days up on meth will give the same effect
Link Posted: 8/5/2019 8:11:23 AM EDT
[#4]
I only order from the waitress
Holsteins have short memories and cloven hooves that don't hold pencils very well.
Link Posted: 8/5/2019 8:20:59 AM EDT
[#5]
No, but then again, I've never requested that my steak come from a specific breed or age of cow.  I wouldn't know what would be a good age or breed, anyway.
Link Posted: 8/5/2019 8:22:41 AM EDT
[#6]
What are they going to make dog food out of?

think of the puppies
Link Posted: 8/5/2019 8:27:15 AM EDT
[#7]
Eh, I only buy Utility Grade anyway. Who cares? 1 year, 8 years, it is gonna come out looking the same.
Link Posted: 8/5/2019 9:39:33 AM EDT
[#8]
If she was fed corn for 90 days or more then I would. Otherwise no way.  Grind the whole thing in burger.
Link Posted: 8/5/2019 9:47:42 AM EDT
[#9]
Aged beef
Link Posted: 8/5/2019 9:55:12 AM EDT
[#10]
Huh, I guess I've never thought about a cows lifespan.  Didn't realize that they're full weight at around two years.  I assumed that it would take longer.
Link Posted: 8/5/2019 10:40:25 AM EDT
[#11]
Link Posted: 8/5/2019 10:43:44 AM EDT
[#12]
But what if that cow drank a lot of beer and got regular massages?
Link Posted: 8/5/2019 10:46:17 AM EDT
[#13]
Aged beef...on the hoof
Link Posted: 8/5/2019 10:46:46 AM EDT
[#14]
I recently had steak that came from a Brown Swiss.  It was great.  However it wasn't from an old milk cow.  It was from a Brow Swiss steer raised for beef.
Link Posted: 8/5/2019 10:49:08 AM EDT
[#15]
This is a job for @stutzcattle
Link Posted: 8/5/2019 10:50:06 AM EDT
[#16]
Apparently the National Cattlemen's Beef Association is hard at work for all their members, even the minority.
Link Posted: 8/5/2019 10:55:20 AM EDT
[#17]
Last time we were in Vegas, we were looking for a new steak house to try. Ran across one that was highly touted/advertised to be the new "best".

Their steak menu consisted of "8-12 oz. Ribeye, selected from 13 yr. old Holstein cows".

I raise beef, and custom feed steers for quite a few people...that ain't what we're looking for.

We had a cocktail, thanked the waiter, and got up and went somewhere else.

If they can convince the masses that 13 yr. old (or 8 yr. old) Holstein ribeyes are something desirable, they've got a hell of a marketing future, is all I can say.

Edit to Add... Braum's, a burger chain that also sells lots of dairy products, has probably the best burgers of any burger joint I have ever tried -- and I believe they use only cull dairy cattle for their burgers. But, they're NOT serving steaks.
Link Posted: 8/5/2019 10:55:21 AM EDT
[#18]
Some of the tastiest beef I've had is from a jersey steer.  Dairy cattle taste fine, just don't have as much meat under the hide.
Link Posted: 8/5/2019 10:57:09 AM EDT
[#19]
I'm doubtful the cow would get the order correct - I don't care how old it is...
Link Posted: 8/5/2019 11:03:43 AM EDT
[#20]
8 year old dairy cow has been on the menu at Sizzler for decades.

Quoted:
I would be amazed that a talking a cow is taking my order
View Quote
There's a joke in there about PMS and mad cow disease, but I'm not finding it right now.
Link Posted: 8/5/2019 11:08:44 AM EDT
[#21]
It depends, how big is her udder?
Link Posted: 8/5/2019 11:12:54 AM EDT
[#22]
Quoted:
View Quote
Dude she's 8.
Link Posted: 8/5/2019 11:13:32 AM EDT
[#23]
I'd give it a shot. I've heard people say the best steak they ever had was aged well and from an old bull. I know I prefer the taste of meat from an old buck over that of a young deer. Sure the young deer is more tender, but the older deer has more flavor.
Link Posted: 8/5/2019 11:15:54 AM EDT
[#24]
Link Posted: 8/5/2019 11:17:09 AM EDT
[#25]
I have actually had something very similar and would NEVER do it again on purpose.
Link Posted: 8/5/2019 11:17:31 AM EDT
[#26]
Quoted:
Dude she's 8.
View Quote View All Quotes
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
Dude she's 8.
That's at least middle aged in cow-years!
Link Posted: 8/5/2019 11:20:18 AM EDT
[#27]
I'm surprised no one has asked for pics of cow.  
Link Posted: 8/5/2019 11:37:26 AM EDT
[#28]
For the Euro market, they tend to like a lean cut.  Same with horse meat, very lean.

In the US, we tend to prefer a ton of intra muscle fat for the flavor in our beef.

The grass fed market in the US produces a product somewhat similar to the Euro market preferences.

Dairy cows tend to have very lean cuts.

Except Jerseys.  Jersey's tend to have a ton of intra muscle fat, but are smaller framed, and as a result, smaller cuts of meat.
Link Posted: 8/5/2019 11:39:21 AM EDT
[#29]
Quoted:
For the Euro market, they tend to like a lean cut.  Same with horse meat, very lean.

In the US, we tend to prefer a ton of intra muscle fat for the flavor in our beef.

The grass fed market in the US produces a product somewhat similar to the Euro market preferences.

Dairy cows tend to have very lean cuts.

Except Jerseys.  Jersey's tend to have a ton of intra muscle fat, but are smaller framed, and as a result, smaller cuts of meat.
View Quote
Dairy cow fat tastes different in my opinion.
Link Posted: 8/5/2019 11:49:28 AM EDT
[#30]
Quoted:
Dairy cow fat tastes different in my opinion.
View Quote
Often caused by a different diet and age at time of processing.  Even within a breed, older animals can taste different and the fat can appear more yellow.

Put Jersey bulls on large frame Charolais cows, and feed them out like a traditional beef breed, and the the output can be fantastic.  But you would likely get the same result with traditional beef breeds with less inputs and/or higher average weight gain per pound of inputs.
Link Posted: 8/5/2019 11:53:52 AM EDT
[#31]
Quoted:
I'm surprised no one has asked for pics of cow.  
View Quote
The only way they'll be GD-compliant is if someone invents the bovine burqa.
Link Posted: 8/5/2019 12:34:38 PM EDT
[#32]
Quoted:
This is a job for @stutzcattle
View Quote
It's possible to get a good steak from an old cow, it's just not likely.  Cull cows aren't what I'd choose for quality steaks.  As for breed, most of the chain steakhouses use a lot of dairy beef.  They are fed out just like any other breed.  There's a saying in the beef business..."There's as much variance within breeds as there is between breeds".  You can get a shit steak from a registered Angus, just like you can get a great steak from a Holstein steer.

If that 8 yr old cow is grass-fed, fuck off.  I ain't eating that shit.
Link Posted: 8/5/2019 12:40:05 PM EDT
[#33]
Another point...This is pure marketing.  There is no movement by the public to have this product.  This is a high end restaurant that is selling a "premium" product.  People with money will  buy it and claim it's great, because they just dropped a ton of money on it.
Link Posted: 8/5/2019 1:03:26 PM EDT
[#34]
Link Posted: 8/5/2019 1:08:28 PM EDT
[#35]
Quoted:

"Working" (wording from article) dairy cows generally put calories into producing milk, not muscle. Burger is the best option, roasts and steaks are tough.
View Quote
We feed them straight shell corn and protein pellet, they are able to get fat if fed enough corn.

> cattle feedlot is my thing.
Link Posted: 8/5/2019 1:13:59 PM EDT
[#36]
Just don't tell anyone that 8 years is over 30 months old.
Link Posted: 8/5/2019 1:15:24 PM EDT
[#37]
Maybe. If done right.

What Do Steaks from a 15-Year-Old Cow Taste Like? — Prime Time
Link Posted: 8/5/2019 1:22:14 PM EDT
[#38]
Quoted:
The only way they'll be GD-compliant is if someone invents the bovine burqa.
View Quote
if that's how you feel about it
Link Posted: 8/5/2019 1:30:10 PM EDT
[#39]
Quoted:

It's possible to get a good steak from an old cow, it's just not likely.  Cull cows aren't what I'd choose for quality steaks.  As for breed, most of the chain steakhouses use a lot of dairy beef.  They are fed out just like any other breed.  There's a saying in the beef business..."There's as much variance within breeds as there is between breeds".  You can get a shit steak from a registered Angus, just like you can get a great steak from a Holstein steer.

View Quote
This is interesting.  My experience was a buddy had an old dairy cow butchered.  I do not know the circumstance.  He brought steaks to work they sucked bad.  He brought a roast to work we threw it away.

I used this particular experience to draw the conclusion that dairy cow fat sucked.  It was spurred on by my buddy the "cattleman".  He called it butter fat from dairy cows.  He is not above talking out of his ass, but I took his point of view because I was clueless.

I appreciate your insight.
Link Posted: 8/5/2019 1:30:27 PM EDT
[#40]
Quoted:
Some of the tastiest beef I've had is from a jersey steer.  Dairy cattle taste fine, just don't have as much meat under the hide.
View Quote
Yep. We keep 1-2 jersey steers year round as our main meat source. Pick them up for next to nothing at the auction and process our self.

Great hamburger and smaller but amazing steaks
Link Posted: 8/5/2019 1:30:47 PM EDT
[#41]
That's pretty much what you got in Idaho Falls until the mid 90s. They called it "prime". Better quality restaurants started serving Kansas/Nebraska prime until mad cow disease doubled or tripled the prices. Raising your own beef(food in general) is common here and the local palet did not sophisticate until very recently.

Dairy cow's have no/little flavor even tho fed high protein diets. Laying Hens are similar, giving their energy to egg production.
Link Posted: 8/6/2019 11:00:49 AM EDT
[#42]
Quoted:
We feed them straight shell corn and protein pellet, they are able to get fat if fed enough corn.

View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

"Working" (wording from article) dairy cows generally put calories into producing milk, not muscle. Burger is the best option, roasts and steaks are tough.

You only feed them ground corn and pellets?
Link Posted: 8/6/2019 11:03:14 AM EDT
[#43]
Quoted:
This is interesting.  My experience was a buddy had an old dairy cow butchered.  I do not know the circumstance.  He brought steaks to work they sucked bad.  He brought a roast to work we threw it away.

I used this particular experience to draw the conclusion that dairy cow fat sucked.  It was spurred on by my buddy the "cattleman".  He called it butter fat from dairy cows.  He is not above talking out of his ass, but I took his point of view because I was clueless.

View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

Let's say you've got a 1600# working dairy cow...For her to "finish out" she's going to have to weigh about 2200# at slaughter.  Then "maybe" she'll taste decent.  No one does that though.  There's no money in it.
Link Posted: 8/6/2019 11:08:26 AM EDT
[#44]
Meh.  That's what crock pots (or Insta-Pots) are for.
Link Posted: 8/6/2019 11:14:59 AM EDT
[#45]
Link Posted: 8/6/2019 11:16:32 AM EDT
[#46]
We’re thinking of putting on some Brahmin cattle to our pasture.  They seem to eat scrubby stuff and don’t skinny down too much in the winter.   How do those taste?

@stutscattle
Link Posted: 8/6/2019 11:29:53 AM EDT
[#47]
Only if I was giving it to someone I didn’t like.
Link Posted: 8/6/2019 11:33:42 AM EDT
[#48]
Quoted:
No, but then again, I've never requested that my steak come from a specific breed or age of cow.  I wouldn't know what would be a good age or breed, anyway.
View Quote
In the US you generally want a Red or Black Angus Steer that’s been finished on grain and is 14-18 months old depending on when it started in the feed lot and how much it weighs.
Link Posted: 8/6/2019 11:47:29 AM EDT
[#49]
The certified Angus thing is kind of a marketing ploy, if not a scam.

Angus is great beef, no doubt, but it comes in all grades from dog food to prime.  And, numerous other "beef" breeds produce similar quality, both great quality and shit.  And, and, there can be as much variation within a breed as there is between some breeds.

Big part of the equation (if not the single most important part of the equation, assuming a decent animal to begin with) is how it is feed out.  Poorly finished Angus is indistinguishable from poorly finished Hereford or Beefmaster.

Personally, I will take an F1 of any beef breed crossed with another beef breed.
Link Posted: 8/6/2019 11:53:13 AM EDT
[#50]
While I wouldn't have any reservations about eating an 8 year old Holstein, I would turn it into things like stew meat, jerky, shredded beef for tacos/burritos, or other cuts that would be used for very slow, long cooking times that would break down the toughness a little more while still leaving the meat useful.
Arrow Left Previous Page
Page / 2
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top