Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Site Notices
Page / 7
Link Posted: 3/13/2013 4:52:39 AM EDT
[#1]
Quoted:
Terrible cop. Why are you giving a ticket at all?

Woman should take him to court. She would win. There is no minimum speed limit posted. There's nothing that says you can't be in the left lane if you're not going 10 over.

Wrong.   In most states, left lane is for passing ONLY.   So if you are not passing someone - ticket.   Try driving 63 in Virginia in the left lane and see what happens.
Link Posted: 3/13/2013 4:52:53 AM EDT
[#2]
Quoted:
GOOD!  

Deserves it..   However reading MD code,  good chance at getting out of it.  http://law.justia.com/codes/maryland/2010/transportation/title-21/subtitle-3/21-301/

Not necessarily.

(b)  Special rule for slow-moving traffic.- On every roadway, except while overtaking and passing another vehicle going in the same direction or when preparing for a lawful left turn, any vehicle going 10 miles an hour or more below the applicable maximum speed limit or, if any existing conditions reasonably require a speed below that of the applicable maximum, at less than the normal speed of traffic under these conditions, shall be driven in the right-hand lane then available for traffic or as close as practicable to the right-hand curb or edge of the roadway.

From the news article, she states:

However, the woman noted the area was experiencing heavy winds at the time and she was only driving under the speed limit as a safety precaution. She also claimed to have never been ticketed before.
"Sometimes when it's dangerous, you have to do what you can to stay safe," she said.

She admits that there were existing conditions which may have reasonably required a speed below that of the applicable maximum, thus she was required to stay right if she was moving at a speed slower than normal speed of traffic under the conditions.
Link Posted: 3/13/2013 4:53:31 AM EDT
[#3]

If you are tootling along in the left lane in your Prius while listening to your Barry Manilow greatest hits cd and everyone is blowing past you in the right lane....get a clue and GET THE FUCK OVER!
Link Posted: 3/13/2013 4:54:27 AM EDT
[#4]
Quoted:

Quoted:

Woman should take him to court. She would win. There is no minimum speed limit posted. There's nothing that says you can't be in the left lane if you're not going 10 over.

In FL there is a statute that specifies a penalty for impeding the flow of traffic.

Have a nice day.

YEP!!   Absolutely.  The problem is with people that dont know the rules of the road and just THINK they do.   If you are in the left lane and you have cars behind you .... regaurdless of the speed you are traveling .... get the f.... out of the way.
Link Posted: 3/13/2013 4:54:50 AM EDT
[#5]
Quoted:
Quoted:
GOOD!  

Deserves it..   However reading MD code,  good chance at getting out of it.  http://law.justia.com/codes/maryland/2010/transportation/title-21/subtitle-3/21-301/

Not necessarily.

(b)  Special rule for slow-moving traffic.- On every roadway, except while overtaking and passing another vehicle going in the same direction or when preparing for a lawful left turn, any vehicle going 10 miles an hour or more below the applicable maximum speed limit or, if any existing conditions reasonably require a speed below that of the applicable maximum, at less than the normal speed of traffic under these conditions, shall be driven in the right-hand lane then available for traffic or as close as practicable to the right-hand curb or edge of the roadway.

However, the woman noted the area was experiencing heavy winds at the time and she was only driving under the speed limit as a safety precaution. She also claimed to have never been ticketed before.
"Sometimes when it's dangerous, you have to do what you can to stay safe," she said.

She admits that there were existing conditions which may have reasonably required a speed below that of the applicable maximum, thus she was required to stay right if she was moving at a speed slower than normal speed of traffic under the conditions.

That's cute. GTFO of the left lane.

Link Posted: 3/13/2013 4:55:06 AM EDT
[#6]

Quoted:

Quoted:

GOOD!  

Not necessarily.

Poorly written..    I can see how it would be taken either way..  

Link Posted: 3/13/2013 4:55:23 AM EDT
[#7]
Hmmm...

driving 2 under the "speed limit" yet above the minimum speed?

Is the "speed limit" the actual legally allowed maximum speed, regardless of lane, or is it a suggestion?

I hate left lane bandits with a passion, but I am curious how TPTB have decided to make a law to punish those who obey the letter of the law if they interfere with those who are violating the speed limit.  

Seems strange.  
Link Posted: 3/13/2013 4:55:29 AM EDT
[#8]
Left lane is for passing not "speedier commuters"
Link Posted: 3/13/2013 4:55:49 AM EDT
[#9]
Quoted:
Quoted:
GOOD!  

Not necessarily.

Exactly.

People don't understand the traffic here. Honestly, it's rare that you can actually go the speed limit, let alone 15 mph over it.

Cop should have given a warning and said, look, if you're going to go under the speed limit, you need to move over to the right lane. Of course, she's fucked when it comes time to get all the way over to the vaunted left lane exits that seem to be all over the area, but whatever.
Link Posted: 3/13/2013 4:56:19 AM EDT
[#10]
Quoted:
GOOD!  

I think she gets convicted. Read the part in bold following the "or":

http://law.justia.com/codes/maryland/2010/transportation/title-21/subtitle-3/21-301/

Link Posted: 3/13/2013 4:56:22 AM EDT
[#11]
She also claimed to have never been ticketed before.

What a laughable defense ..... oh yeah ... well now you have.
Link Posted: 3/13/2013 4:56:49 AM EDT
[#12]
The ticket is for

"Failure of a driver driving below the speed limit, 63 in a 65, to keep right."
Link Posted: 3/13/2013 4:57:09 AM EDT
[#13]
Link Posted: 3/13/2013 4:57:25 AM EDT
[#14]
Quoted:
Hmmm...

Is the "speed limit" the actual legally allowed maximum speed, regardless of lane, or is it a suggestion?

I hate left lane bandits with a passion, but I am curious how TPTB have decided to make a law to punish those who obey the letter of the law if they interfere with those who are violating the speed limit.  

Seems strange.  

This is always been my question. It says speed limit. By the definition of limit, that should be the maximum allowable. Yet, routinely, people exceed the limit, often by 10+ miles an hour.
Link Posted: 3/13/2013 4:58:42 AM EDT
[#15]
Quoted:

Drive right!
Link Posted: 3/13/2013 4:58:51 AM EDT
[#16]
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:
GOOD!  

Not necessarily.

Exactly.

People don't understand the traffic here. Honestly, it's rare that you can actually go the speed limit, let alone 15 mph over it.

Cop should have given a warning and said, look, if you're going to go under the speed limit, you need to move over to the right lane. Of course, she's fucked when it comes time to get all the way over to the vaunted left lane exits that seem to be all over the area, but whatever.

You realize you are now agreeing with someone that just proved your first two posts in this thread wrong, don't you?
Link Posted: 3/13/2013 4:58:56 AM EDT
[#17]
Quoted:
Quoted:
Hmmm...

Seems strange.  

This is always been my question. It says speed limit. By the definition of limit, that should be the maximum allowable. Yet, routinely, people exceed the limit, often by 10+ miles an hour.

According to my deputy ... its a limit ... not to be crossed.   Apparently even when passing another car ....   LOL

Having said that ....... he also said obstruction of traffic is far more dangerous than the entire flow of traffic exceeding the speed limit.
Link Posted: 3/13/2013 5:00:24 AM EDT
[#18]
Quoted:

I drive really slow in the ultra-fast lane,
While people behind me are going insane.
I'm an asshole (He's an asshole, what an asshole)
I'm an asshole (He's an asshole, such an asshole)
Link Posted: 3/13/2013 5:01:39 AM EDT
[#19]
Quoted:

Left lane is for PASSING only... Slower traffc keep right etc. etc.

Have you never seen these signs??

Link Posted: 3/13/2013 5:02:07 AM EDT
[#20]
Be in the furthest right lane unless you are overtaking someone.  How tough is that to understand?
Link Posted: 3/13/2013 5:02:28 AM EDT
[#21]
Quoted:

Obstructing the flow of traffic. Creates a hazard. Who made her Queen of the Left Lane Citizen's Policing and Speed Limit Society?

Link Posted: 3/13/2013 5:02:33 AM EDT
[#22]

Quoted:

Quoted:

GOOD!  

I think she gets convicted. Read the part in bold following the "or":

http://law.justia.com/codes/maryland/2010/transportation/title-21/subtitle-3/21-301/

Now I see it      (been up all night at work)

Link Posted: 3/13/2013 5:04:24 AM EDT
[#23]
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:
http://news.yahoo.com/blogs/sideshow/woman-gets-ticket-driving-2-miles-per-hour-211957738.html

A Maryland woman has gotten a very unusual speeding ticket for driving a mere two miles under the speed limit on Interstate 95.

Local NBC affiliate News4 reports that the woman, who asked to keep her name anonymous, was driving 63 miles per hour in a 65-mph zone. Police say the reason they ticketed her was that she was driving in the left lane reserved for speedier commuters.

"[I was] really shocked," she told the station. "I thought, 'Oh my God, you've got to be kidding me.'"

IF she was in Florida when this happened - thank you thank you thank you thank you.

The fucking yanks clog up the roads down here so bad. Don't care if MD is below the MD line. Once you're in DC and above you're a yankee.

Yeah, because driving slow is a yankee thing...

How often do you drive the 95 down here? 99% of the Massholes down here are from MA, NY, CT, or any other carpetbagger state and that doesn't include the fucking Quebec plates all over. I don't know if it's a yankee thing or they just happen to be the ones down here driving like a grandma (because they mostly ARE grandmas.)
Link Posted: 3/13/2013 5:05:10 AM EDT
[#24]

Quoted:

Quoted:

You live in Virginia? You are ignorant of your own state's law. Why does that not surprise me.

We put people in jail for going 20 over the posted limit or anything over 80
Link Posted: 3/13/2013 5:06:47 AM EDT
[#25]
Quoted:
Hmmm...

Seems strange.  

The only reason it seems strange is because we are dealing with two seperate laws.  There are laws regarding maximum speed and laws regarding traveling in the left lane at a speed lower than the flow of traffic.  You can be ticketed for either.  She was not ticketed for driving too slow, she was cited for impeding the left lane.  If the drivers in the left lane are speeding the police will deal with them, if she wants to prove a point and use her car as a rolling road block to enforce the law as she see's it, she can, and should be, cited as well.
Link Posted: 3/13/2013 5:07:15 AM EDT
[#26]
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:
http://news.yahoo.com/blogs/sideshow/woman-gets-ticket-driving-2-miles-per-hour-211957738.html

A Maryland woman has gotten a very unusual speeding ticket for driving a mere two miles under the speed limit on Interstate 95.

Local NBC affiliate News4 reports that the woman, who asked to keep her name anonymous, was driving 63 miles per hour in a 65-mph zone. Police say the reason they ticketed her was that she was driving in the left lane reserved for speedier commuters.

"[I was] really shocked," she told the station. "I thought, 'Oh my God, you've got to be kidding me.'"

IF she was in Florida when this happened - thank you thank you thank you thank you.

The fucking yanks clog up the roads down here so bad. Don't care if MD is below the MD line. Once you're in DC and above you're a yankee.

How often do you drive the 95 down here? 99% of the Massholes down here are from MA, NY, CT, or any other carpetbagger state and that doesn't include the fucking Quebec plates all over. I don't know if it's a yankee thing or they just happen to be the ones down here driving like a grandma (because they mostly ARE grandmas.)

Let me tell you .... as a Floridian ..... it seems this place has turned into the sixth burough of New York.  Someone needs to remind everyone that I-95 runs both ways  south and NORTH.
Link Posted: 3/13/2013 5:07:44 AM EDT
[#27]
No minimum posted? I've seen minimum speeds posted many many times
Link Posted: 3/13/2013 5:07:59 AM EDT
[#28]
Quoted:
Quoted:
GOOD!  

Not necessarily.

Bullshit. I've driven in stiffer winds then she ever will. Go out to the desert where that is a constant. It's not dangerous if I could do it on a 500lb motorcycle and she's in a 3000lb cage. Nice try.

That just shows that she is A.) Scared of anything other than perfect weather B.) Scared to drive in the right lane (bet the parents taught her that.)
Link Posted: 3/13/2013 5:08:58 AM EDT
[#29]
Hell to the yeah! Good cop.. need more of this ...

In my "trucking days" was in Cali, roll'n west on the 99 in lane 4 of 4. A bit lost, but I was doing 55 mph, the posted limit. Looked back in my mirror.. CHP with his lights on... I pull over. CHP comes to door; "You know why I pulled you over?". Me.. "No... I was doing the speed limit as posted." .. CHP "Everyone is moving at a faster pace; traffic is flowing...". Me .. "WTF? I was doing the limit." CHP .. "See everyone else? Keep up with them or ill cite you for impeding the flow of traffic. Have a good day."

From that day on, I never ran the speed limit. I never was "out in front of the pack" but I damn sure kept up... never had an issue.

This is why we will never have an "Autobahn" type road in America; too many entitled jackasses that get in a lane, set the cruise and get on the phone; dick with the radio; start slap'n the kids in the back seat down etc... "Fuck you I pay my road taxes and I can do whatever the fuck I want.." type thought.

Have even seen fuckwits (thanks to the Aussie for that term.. i will use it now) doing 2 mph over the limit, but with an ambulance with lights and siren on, just tool'n along instead of getting the fuck out of the way. Those people, I can only hope to have a family member suffering a medical emergency and damn near expire because some fuckwit won't get out of the way.
Link Posted: 3/13/2013 5:09:40 AM EDT
[#30]
FWIW in MD the ticket wasn't issued in the interest of public safety.

It was issued to put a couple more bucks in Maryland's coffers.
Link Posted: 3/13/2013 5:10:54 AM EDT
[#31]
Quoted:

Quoted:
Quoted:

You live in Virginia? You are ignorant of your own state's law. Why does that not surprise me.

Are you serious, I would be the Clyde Barrow of VA if I lived there.  You must have a ton of jails to keep people in.  80mph on the interstate is like a crawl.
Link Posted: 3/13/2013 5:13:04 AM EDT
[#32]
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:

Hmm, there's a thought.  Maybe it's an age thing and not a yankee thing.  But hey, let's just blame it on them yankees cuz it makes us feel good.
Link Posted: 3/13/2013 5:14:33 AM EDT
[#33]
Down here in S. Florida, when the folks see the signs that say I-95, they think those are the speed limit signs.  I've been in morning rush hour traffic on I-95 headed to Miami, 6-lanes across, where everyone was doing around 90.  It's pretty much like Mad Max.

Usually, the left lane hogs around here are most often Canadians and folks from MA, PA, OH, MI & IL. Tourists!!!
Link Posted: 3/13/2013 5:14:57 AM EDT
[#34]
Hmm, there's a thought.  Maybe it's an age thing and not a yankee thing.  But hey, let's just blame it on them yankees cuz it makes us feel good.

Well they did start that whole War of Northern Aggression.  We hold grudges  
Link Posted: 3/13/2013 5:15:01 AM EDT
[#35]
Quoted:

A lot of interstates have signs that say the left lane is for passing only.  Are you sure that this interstate doesn't have those signs.

Link Posted: 3/13/2013 5:16:30 AM EDT
[#36]
good, I hate those people. however I dont see how it can be a speeding ticket. should be obstructing traffic, or the spacific statute
for the passing lane law.
Link Posted: 3/13/2013 5:16:59 AM EDT
[#37]
Quoted:
The ticket is for

"Failure of a driver driving below the speed limit, 63 in a 65, to keep right.
"

Yep.

Thanks for posting, but it won't slow down those bashing the cop for being a dick for writing a ticket for "driving too slow".  
Link Posted: 3/13/2013 5:17:33 AM EDT
[#38]
Quoted:
Quoted:

A lot of interstates have signs that say the left lane is for passing only.  Are you sure that this interstate doesn't have those signs.

And sign or not ..... even more states have LAWS that say the same.
Link Posted: 3/13/2013 5:18:15 AM EDT
[#39]
Quoted:
Good.  That is more hazardous than going 10 over in the same lane.

Link Posted: 3/13/2013 5:18:34 AM EDT
[#40]
Quoted:

That just shows that she is A.) Scared of anything other than perfect weather

This is 98% of the drivers in the DC/MD/VA area. God forbid there is one snowflake or raindrop............people start putting 2 miles of space between them and any other car and slow to 30mph.

Link Posted: 3/13/2013 5:19:38 AM EDT
[#41]
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:

I'll throw in a good FUCK YANKEES for good measure. And FUCK BHO.

The grandmas that have stayed in FL usually go slower but are in the right lanes and do not impede traffic. So, yup I'll continue to blame the yanks cause that's what's on the plates.
Link Posted: 3/13/2013 5:21:23 AM EDT
[#42]
This illustrates the definition of "pet issue fascism".

It's a term I have coined (I think) to define the phenomenon where conservatives profess to high Heaven how small-government they are- until it's their pet issue, then they welcome government with open arms.

I see it all over with smoking, obesity - and now driving.
Link Posted: 3/13/2013 5:21:31 AM EDT
[#43]
Quoted:
Quoted:

That just shows that she is A.) Scared of anything other than perfect weather

This is 98% of the drivers in the DC/MD/VA area. God forbid there is one snowflake or raindrop............people start putting 2 miles of space between them and any other car and slow to 30mph.

Yeah really bad in FL too .... we feel the need to stand on the beach and as "new residents" come ashore - give them free cheese and a complementary drivers license.
Link Posted: 3/13/2013 5:21:37 AM EDT
[#44]
Quoted:
Down here in S. Florida, when the folks see the signs that say I-95, they think those are the speed limit signs.  I've been in morning rush hour traffic on I-95 headed to Miami, 6-lanes across, where everyone was doing around 90.  It's pretty much like Mad Max.

Usually, the left lane hogs around here are most often Canadians and folks from MA, PA, OH, MI & IL. Tourists!!!

Don't tell the yankee Gotguns that. He gets all offended.

I wish they'd hurry up and finish construction south of Titusville to a 6 laner. Looks like end of this year and the next to completion.
Link Posted: 3/13/2013 5:23:08 AM EDT
[#45]
Quoted:

It's a term I have coined (I think) to define the phenomenon where conservatives profess to high Heaven how small-government they are- until it's their pet issue, then they welcome government with open arms.

Yes.  Rules on driving down the road are just like smoking and fatass laws.
Link Posted: 3/13/2013 5:23:58 AM EDT
[#46]
Quoted:

well, not exactly  169.18 Subd. 10.Slow-moving vehicle.Upon all roadways any vehicle proceeding at less than the normal speed of traffic at the time and place and under the conditions then existing shall be driven in the right-hand lane then available for traffic, or as close as practicable to the right-hand curb or edge of the roadway, except when overtaking and passing another vehicle proceeding in the same direction, or when preparing for a left turn at an intersection or into a private road or driveway, or when a specific lane is designated and posted for a specific type of traffic.
Link Posted: 3/13/2013 5:25:01 AM EDT
[#47]

Quoted:

Quoted:

Are you serious, I would be the Clyde Barrow of VA if I lived there. You must have a ton of jails to keep people in. 80mph on the interstate is like a crawl.

Yes, it's a class 1 misdemeanor.

§ 46.2-862. Exceeding speed limit.

§ 46.2-868. Reckless driving; penalties.

§ 46.2-877. Minimum speed limits. Note the exception for being in compliance with the law.

I haven't been able to find anything specific about cruising in the left lane

Edit: here's another one for you lead foots.

§ 46.2-823. Unlawful speed forfeits right-of-way.

Link Posted: 3/13/2013 5:25:10 AM EDT
[#48]
Quoted:
Quoted:

She could have caused an accident by not going with the flow of traffic. She was a hazard.

This.
Link Posted: 3/13/2013 5:26:34 AM EDT
[#49]
Quoted:

I hardly think that supporting the enforcement of reasonable traffic laws shows the least bit of hypocrisy as a conservative.

Now if we were anarchists that would be a different story.  

But I suppose you are of the view that someone should be able to drive 20 mph in the left lane on the freeway so you can maintain your ideological purity.
Link Posted: 3/13/2013 5:26:54 AM EDT
[#50]
Quoted:
Quoted:

Yes.  Rules on driving down the road are just like smoking and fatass laws.

If the woman was driving 10 or more under you'd have a leg to stand on. She was doing 2 miles under. Two.
Page / 7
Top Top