Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Site Notices
Arrow Left Previous Page
Page / 7
Posted: 3/13/2013 4:22:26 AM EDT
http://news.yahoo.com/blogs/sideshow/woman-gets-ticket-driving-2-miles-per-hour-211957738.html

A Maryland woman has gotten a very unusual speeding ticket for driving a mere two miles under the speed limit on Interstate 95.

Local NBC affiliate News4 reports that the woman, who asked to keep her name anonymous, was driving 63 miles per hour in a 65-mph zone. Police say the reason they ticketed her was that she was driving in the left lane reserved for speedier commuters.

"[I was] really shocked," she told the station. "I thought, 'Oh my God, you've got to be kidding me.'"

------------------

Eta:

This chart is a little outdated, but the folks at MIT collected the state's laws here:

http://www.mit.edu/~jfc/right.html

It needs to be updated, but you can get a general idea on the laws.
Link Posted: 3/13/2013 4:23:28 AM EDT
[#1]
Link Posted: 3/13/2013 4:24:06 AM EDT
[#2]
Good Cop!!
Link Posted: 3/13/2013 4:24:30 AM EDT
[#3]
Good.  That is more hazardous than going 10 over in the same lane.
Link Posted: 3/13/2013 4:25:00 AM EDT
[#4]
Lane discipline, she had none.
Link Posted: 3/13/2013 4:25:04 AM EDT
[#5]
Terrible cop. Why are you giving a ticket at all?

Woman should take him to court. She would win. There is no minimum speed limit posted. There's nothing that says you can't be in the left lane if you're not going 10 over.
Link Posted: 3/13/2013 4:25:12 AM EDT
[#6]
Good.

I can’t stand people that drive the speed limit in the fast lane.  Especially ones driving under it.
Link Posted: 3/13/2013 4:26:06 AM EDT
[#7]
Quoted:

Woman should take him to court. She would win. There is no minimum speed limit posted. There's nothing that says you can't be in the left lane if you're not going 10 over.

Actually, there are very specific rules governing the use of the left lane.  

Link Posted: 3/13/2013 4:26:21 AM EDT
[#8]
Quoted:

She could have caused an accident by not going with the flow of traffic. She was a hazard.
Link Posted: 3/13/2013 4:28:02 AM EDT
[#9]
Hallelujah!!
Link Posted: 3/13/2013 4:28:08 AM EDT
[#10]
Quoted:
Quoted:

Actually, there are very specific rules governing the use of the left lane.  

This.

Link Posted: 3/13/2013 4:28:19 AM EDT
[#11]
GrumpycatGood.jpg
Link Posted: 3/13/2013 4:29:09 AM EDT
[#12]
Please someone send that memo down to DPS.

Thanks
Link Posted: 3/13/2013 4:29:24 AM EDT
[#13]

Quoted:

Good.

I can’t stand people that drive the speed limit in the fast lane.  Especially ones driving under it.

Link Posted: 3/13/2013 4:29:29 AM EDT
[#14]

Quoted:

In FL there is a statute that specifies a penalty for impeding the flow of traffic.

Have a nice day.
Link Posted: 3/13/2013 4:29:59 AM EDT
[#15]
Quoted:

You live in Virginia?   You are ignorant of your own state's law. Why does that not surprise me.
Link Posted: 3/13/2013 4:30:03 AM EDT
[#16]
Quoted:
GrumpycatGood.jpg

Followed by a BIG "Fuck yeah!"
Link Posted: 3/13/2013 4:30:23 AM EDT
[#17]
Quoted:

Good cop.

We have laws against that sort of asshattery here. Impede traffic, get a ticket. Hopefully this will catch on and these self centered assholes will learn that the world doesn't revolve around them.
Link Posted: 3/13/2013 4:30:40 AM EDT
[#18]
Link Posted: 3/13/2013 4:30:52 AM EDT
[#19]
Quoted:

Quoted:

In FL there is a statute that specifies a penalty for impeding the flow of traffic.

Have a nice day.

NC, too.

Edit:  Beaten by the grouch.
Link Posted: 3/13/2013 4:32:21 AM EDT
[#20]
Pure win...and fuck left lane hugging hippies in there Obama sticker covered Volvos.....
Link Posted: 3/13/2013 4:33:37 AM EDT
[#21]
summary execution
Link Posted: 3/13/2013 4:34:01 AM EDT
[#22]

Quoted:

"[I was] really shocked," she told the station. "I thought, 'Oh my God, you've got to be kidding me.'"

Link Posted: 3/13/2013 4:34:30 AM EDT
[#23]
Quoted:

Quoted:

Have a nice day.

It used tobe posted on the interstates too. Minimum speed 40.

Most car speedometers read a little under. According to GPS, mine reads 2 mph under at highway speeds.
Link Posted: 3/13/2013 4:35:14 AM EDT
[#24]
This chart is a little outdated, but the folks at MIT collected the state's laws here:

http://www.mit.edu/~jfc/right.html

It needs to be updated, but you can get a general idea on the laws.
Link Posted: 3/13/2013 4:35:59 AM EDT
[#25]
Quoted:

You've never seen those signs all over the highways in VA about slower traffic staying right?
Link Posted: 3/13/2013 4:36:52 AM EDT
[#26]
Quoted:
http://news.yahoo.com/blogs/sideshow/woman-gets-ticket-driving-2-miles-per-hour-211957738.html

A Maryland woman has gotten a very unusual speeding ticket for driving a mere two miles under the speed limit on Interstate 95.

Local NBC affiliate News4 reports that the woman, who asked to keep her name anonymous, was driving 63 miles per hour in a 65-mph zone. Police say the reason they ticketed her was that she was driving in the left lane reserved for speedier commuters.

IF she was in Florida when this happened - thank you thank you thank you thank you.

The fucking yanks clog up the roads down here so bad. Don't care if MD is below the MD line. Once you're in DC and above you're a yankee.
Link Posted: 3/13/2013 4:37:24 AM EDT
[#27]

Quoted:

Good.

Its not the fast lane, its the passing lane.

The speed limit applies just as much as "slower traffic keep right" does.

Link Posted: 3/13/2013 4:37:25 AM EDT
[#28]
Now, if we can just get that same level of enforcement on that highway where the bikers stopped traffic for a wedding proposal, I'd be happy. . .

Link Posted: 3/13/2013 4:37:33 AM EDT
[#29]
Quoted:

on 95? she should be brought up on reckless endangerment charges.
Link Posted: 3/13/2013 4:38:01 AM EDT
[#30]
Quoted:

That is so awesome, if cops did that in Seattle they would need a special task force and a team of Korean, Chinese, Japanese, Taiwanese etc.  translators for all the tickets....oh shit....please do it in my town
Link Posted: 3/13/2013 4:39:04 AM EDT
[#31]
Great Job!!! There are signs that strictly state to stay right in a lot of highway areas and nothing pisses me off more than some slow asshole riding in the left lane.
Link Posted: 3/13/2013 4:39:21 AM EDT
[#32]

Quoted:

There is in Florida.

316.081 (2) ; Upon
all roadways, any vehicle proceeding at less than the normal speed of
traffic at the time and place and under the conditions then existing
shall be driven in the right-hand lane then available for traffic or as
close as practicable to the right-hand curb or edge of the roadway
except when overtaking and passing another vehicle proceeding in the
same direction or when preparing for a left turn at an intersection or
into a private road or driveway.

Link Posted: 3/13/2013 4:40:09 AM EDT
[#33]
Good cop, knowing I 95, there were cars doing 80mph+ swerving around her.
Link Posted: 3/13/2013 4:40:58 AM EDT
[#34]

Quoted:

Quoted:

on 95? she should be brought up on reckless endangerment charges.

The bitch should go to jail fir being an asshole...

RAGE!!!!!!
Link Posted: 3/13/2013 4:41:13 AM EDT
[#35]
Can we get the cops name to send him some sort of thank you package or gift card?
Link Posted: 3/13/2013 4:41:18 AM EDT
[#36]
Quoted:

Quoted:

There is in Florida.

316.081 (2) ; Upon all roadways, any vehicle proceeding at less than the normal speed of traffic at the time and place and under the conditions then existing shall be driven in the right-hand lane then available for traffic or as close as practicable to the right-hand curb or edge of the roadway except when overtaking and passing another vehicle proceeding in the same direction or when preparing for a left turn at an intersection or into a private road or driveway.

Virginia (where he lives) has that same statute. I believe Slateman voted for Obama in the last election.  I doubt you can convince him he is wrong.  Soft mindset and all.
Link Posted: 3/13/2013 4:41:55 AM EDT
[#37]
Quoted:
Quoted:

You live in Virginia?   You are ignorant of your own state's law. Why does that not surprise me.

Lets be clear! NORTHERN Virginia (pardon the assumption since the lady was from MD) is NOT Virginia. The true mason dixon line is just north of Ashland. The areas north of fredericksburg are to buffer the good folk of the true Commonwealth from the cesspool north of the Potomac.

That is all.
Link Posted: 3/13/2013 4:42:05 AM EDT
[#38]
Good.
Link Posted: 3/13/2013 4:42:07 AM EDT
[#39]
About damn time. If you are caught from behind in the left lane, you are in the wrong lane.
Link Posted: 3/13/2013 4:42:25 AM EDT
[#40]
Quoted:

Actually, our state has a law against impeding traffic in the left lane.  You can't hold up traffic in the left lane just because you think the right lane is icky and driving fast is scary.  Get the fuck over.
Link Posted: 3/13/2013 4:44:51 AM EDT
[#41]
ticket well deserved.  Hell, the people doing the limit and driving in the middle lane piss me the fuck off.  they have become so prevalent that I don't give a fuck and just pass on the right now in the first lane.

you wanna drive the limit when most people are doing 10-15 over AND plant your dumb ass dead fucking center of the road.... dumbass!
Link Posted: 3/13/2013 4:44:56 AM EDT
[#42]
Quoted:

"Left lane for passing only" is posted on every just about every  highway here in Texas.  Also, you are impeding traffic which is basically driving blocking the normal flow of traffic and you can be given  a ticket for that.
The minimum speed is for any lane on the highway, you simply aren't allowed to drive below that speed on any lane on a highway.  Every state I have ever lived in has similar signs and laws.

So yeah, good job cop. I for one am happy to hear some dick head who wants to hold up the fast lane got a ticket for it. My guess is she had a line of traffic a mile long behind her trying to pass. Dumb bitch should have gotten over and let people pass.
Link Posted: 3/13/2013 4:45:18 AM EDT
[#43]
Quoted:
Quoted:

IF she was in Florida when this happened - thank you thank you thank you thank you.

The fucking yanks clog up the roads down here so bad. Don't care if MD is below the MD line. Once you're in DC and above you're a yankee.

Yeah, because driving slow is a yankee thing...
Link Posted: 3/13/2013 4:45:42 AM EDT
[#44]
GOOD!  

Deserves it..   However reading MD code,  good chance at getting out of it.  http://law.justia.com/codes/maryland/2010/transportation/title-21/subtitle-3/21-301/
Link Posted: 3/13/2013 4:46:52 AM EDT
[#45]
I remember a decade or so ago I watched a TV show where they were developing a rocket powered "skateboard" that could be shot out of the front of a Cop car under the car in front of it, disabling that cars computer.....I wish I could buy such a device.
Link Posted: 3/13/2013 4:47:57 AM EDT
[#46]
Fuck yeah. If your not passing the cars in the right lane, stay the hell out of the left lane. There's always some asshole that decides he shouldn't go above the speed limit once he's side by side with the 18-wheeler in the right lane.

Link Posted: 3/13/2013 4:51:43 AM EDT
[#47]
I would LOVE it if cops would start this up on the Phoenix area. In the winter time, nearly half the population drives at most 10 below the speed limit, often slowler. I feel like a bat out of hell going the speed limit. Combine old farts driving 50, me driving 65 and normal teenagers drivign 80, and you have a VERY dangerous road.
Link Posted: 3/13/2013 4:51:48 AM EDT
[#48]

Quoted:

I remember a decade or so ago I watched a TV show where they were developing a rocket powered "skateboard" that could be shot out of the front of a Cop car under the car in front of it, disabling that cars computer.....I wish I could buy such a device.

I remember that too.

I don't think that is ever actually going to be implemented.

Link Posted: 3/13/2013 4:52:09 AM EDT
[#49]
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:

Lets be clear! NORTHERN Virginia (pardon the assumption since the lady was from MD) is NOT Virginia. The true mason dixon line is just north of Ashland. The areas north of fredericksburg are to buffer the good folk of the true Commonwealth from the cesspool north of the Potomac.

That is all.

Until taxes are due. Then, all of the sudden, Northern Virginia is completely Virginia

The article says nothing about Virginia. She is a Maryland Woman who was ticketed in Laurel, MD.

So, again, I ask you, please post the law she broke. Because the logic of this is stupid. There's a speed limit. But it's okay to exceed it, however don't you dare go under it? Cop was being a dick.
Link Posted: 3/13/2013 4:52:20 AM EDT
[#50]
Good Cop.

As someone who lives (and lived) in DC, MD, and VA over the last 10 years, this needs to happen more often. I swear once you get in MD you'd they teach them all in driver's ed (and I use that term loosely) to immediately get in the farthest left-hand lane, slow down below the speed limit, and whip out their cell phones.

Never forget seeing the lady swerve across 4 lanes of traffic 200 feet in front of her off ramp on 495, just because she wasn't paying attention and couldn't be bothered to catch the next exit. Animals.

Fuck 'em. <grumpycat.jpg>
Arrow Left Previous Page
Page / 7
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top