Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Site Notices
Arrow Left Previous Page
Page / 2
Posted: 8/20/2016 9:52:20 AM EDT
Thanks for reading.  

The wife wants a 911-type Porsche.  We have a Jetta TDI that is going back to VW in a couple of months.  And since our kids are getting older, she wants a "fun car."  I don't know anything about Porsches, so please educate me.  

Here are her requirements:

Convertible
4 seats
She'd prefer an Automatic, but says she's willing to learn to drive a stick
Under $20k

I checked eBay and I'm seeing lots of 1999-2003 vintage cars with 100K+ miles going for about $15k.  Are the miles a problem with Porsches?  Can I do my own maintenance?  Anything to watch out for?  

Thanks in advance for any advice.

=========================

Update:

I spent a week researching the 996.  Even found one and paid for a PPI.  At the end of the day, it just wasn't the right car for the mission.  The IMS issue was a big factor.  

She doesn't like Mustangs.  I don't like the new Camaros.  Four seats was a hard requirement, so no Miata or S2000.  She didn't like the Lexus.  

So.... I found her a low-mileage 2010 BMW 328i hardtop convertible.  That meets all her requirements and will be a lot more practical than a 15-year-old 100k mile sports car.  

Thanks for all the advice.

Link Posted: 8/20/2016 10:06:51 AM EDT
[#1]
Talk her into a corvette convertible instead. Way cheaper to maintain...

Im going through the exact same thing with my mom. No matter what, i tell my dad i think he is going to fo on a older porsche for her

See if carmax has anything that would work. They atleast offer warranties.
Link Posted: 8/20/2016 10:45:38 AM EDT
[#2]
Are you mechanically inclined ? Unless you have a relative whose a Porsche mechanic, a $20,000 911 convertible will spend more time at the shop than in your driveway. Not because it's unreliable but at that price point you just asking for trouble.

Link Posted: 8/20/2016 10:46:14 AM EDT
[#3]
Here's a couple reasons why you shouldn't proceed without at least doubling your budget for a 911.

1. Under 20K as you as you see is going to buy you a complicated german car with well north of 100K miles.  That's never a good idea to spend that kind of money on something that with that high of miles "just to get one."  My concerns would be did the owner(s) maintain it properly, what will need to replaced now that it has (for a Porsche) "excessive use".  Transmission?  suspension? brakes? steering? engine itself?  They are great cars but you don't buy them in this condition.

2. For your price range you are either going to get a heavily used one or have to settle for a lesser Porsche like a Boxter or Cayman which aren't bad cars, but they sure as hell aren't 911s.   My question would be why does your wife want a 911?  Is she a car person?  if not who is she trying to impress or copy (women do this)?  A high mileage 90's 911 is going to make you look like a poser.

3. 4 seats?  is she serous?  have you looked at the rear seats in a 911?  they are worse that a Camaro or Mustang.  Sorry but nobody buys a car like this because it has a back seat.  I'd remove that requirement.

4. As mentioned above you need to look at other options if all she is after is a flashy sports car.  I'll mention a few better buys for the money but there are many more choices
A. 1998-2004 Corvette with around 40-50k miles in convertible / Automatic can be had right at $20,000 in PERFECT condition.  
B. 2009-2011 Mustang GT convertible in excellent condition with damn near zero miles
C. one of those japanese little things like the 370Z or the Lexus/infiniti version.  
D. Miata?
Link Posted: 8/20/2016 10:53:07 AM EDT
[#4]
Do you know a lot about working on cars?  Are you comfortable doing more than just changing the oil?

If you are, and you have some money set back that you can throw at car maintenance (real car maintenance, not just what Americans think car maintenance is).....then sure.  

And from what I've heard, Porsche, especially older ones are relatively easy to work on.......but you still have to be comfortable with a wrench and spending $ on it.

If you aren't willing to do that, just go get a miata.
Link Posted: 8/20/2016 10:59:22 AM EDT
[#5]
Link Posted: 8/20/2016 11:01:14 AM EDT
[#6]
I feel sorry for you......and this comes from a guy that has owned plenty of expensive cars.  

The simplest advice I will give is, convertibles are not all they are cracked up to be. And again, I have owned a few.  The amount of time they are comfortable to drive, is actually limited to the early evening.  Is there anytime you actually enjoy sitting out in the baking sun?  Literally, sitting in a shadeless area with the sun blistering down on you?  No, and I also live in San Diego where the weather is damn near perfect 98% of the time.  They REALLY are not that pleasant to drive around in.
Link Posted: 8/20/2016 11:57:52 AM EDT
[#7]
Seriously with what she "wants", go look for a nice newer GTO.

Pretty much nothing is gonna give you rear seats worth a crap. The 911 with her price range is not worth buying unless you plan to do all the work yourself at home.
Link Posted: 8/20/2016 1:09:27 PM EDT
[#8]
Good advice.  Thanks guys.  That was just the feedback I was looking for.  

To answer some questions, I do most of my own wrenching.  I'm no mechanic by any means, but I've done brakes, ball joints, water pumps, fuel pumps, a timing belt, etc.  

The reason for the four seats is to have a backup for those rare times when our main vehicle (F-350) goes down.  We want something that will fit the whole family (four of us), even if it won't be comfortable.  And we're not big people.

I hear ya Dr. Salee on the utility of a convertible.  I've had a few over the years (MGB, C4 Vette, 380SL) and I can't remember putting the top down on any of them more than a few times.  I think they're overrated.  Of course, I'm a bald dude, so that could have something to do with it.  :)

Thanks again for all the advice.  Will look in to some of the other makes you guys mentioned.

Link Posted: 8/20/2016 1:15:43 PM EDT
[#9]
one word:
maintenance

oh and things are going to start breaking down. and it wont be pretty. hope the mechanic is your friend
Link Posted: 8/20/2016 1:23:30 PM EDT
[#10]
Discussion ForumsJump to Quoted PostQuote History
Quoted:
Talk her into a corvette convertible instead.
View Quote

Link Posted: 8/20/2016 1:27:23 PM EDT
[#11]
Quoted:
Thanks for reading.  

The wife wants a 911-type Porsche.  We have a Jetta TDI that is going back to VW in a couple of months.  And since our kids are getting older, she wants a "fun car."  I don't know anything about Porsches, so please educate me.  

Convertible
4 seats
Under $20k

I checked eBay and I'm seeing lots of 1999-2003 vintage cars with 100K+ miles going for about $15k.  Are the miles a problem with Porsches?  Can I do my own maintenance?  Anything to watch out for?  

View Quote

Under $20K for a 911, ain't going to happen bud. A 996 Cabriolet will be mid 20's for one not compleatly ragged, this is going to be a '99-'05 MY. I personally wouldn't own a 996 due to IMS and RMS issues, (both have fixes but will add to the ownership costs.) I have a 997 model 911 Cabriolet (2006 my,) which are IMO preferred over the 996 but you're going to have to up your budget a lot. Be advised that on 996/997 models the rear seats are nearly verticle and depending on the age of your kids this will result in not being car seat friendly at all. Booster seats are ok but anything is a problem.

What about a convertible Mustang or maybe a BMW?  If you're just looking for top-down touring fun for the family, it's hard to beat either. You can get into a new'ish Mustang GT convertible for that kind of money and still have a fun car.

Oh and let me add the auto on 996/997.1 (997.2 is a PDK and different animal,) sucks donkey balls. Random gear hunting under acceleration and IMO totally takes away from the 911. The plus to autos is it kills the resale and they're almost always 'woman owned' so chances of the car being 'pushed' is far less plus you can't 'over-rev' the slush box. Again do not confuse the Tiptronic with PDK introduced in the 2009 MY. PDK is a dual-clutch system that outperforms the straight even when professionally driven. Way, way different animal.

Link Posted: 8/20/2016 2:09:35 PM EDT
[#12]
Not a car guy really, but buying something like that as a secondary vehicle sounds like a bad idea.
Maybe as a 3rd, where it is not a daily driver and can wait until you have time, when it has issues.

That said: when I was growing up in the 70s a 911 was my dream car, so I'm hoping a Porsche enthusiasts will chime in with some good info.
Link Posted: 8/20/2016 4:30:26 PM EDT
[#13]
Also regardless of what brand you buy, take a very good look at the top. Many convertibles after about ten to fifteen years old may need a new top. This is not cheap. The new top can be bought for cheap, but the labor to install it isn't. I work at a body shop and have done many tops and I hate doing them. Also pay attention to how the top goes up and down looking for anything bent or leaking.
Link Posted: 8/20/2016 5:07:13 PM EDT
[#14]
I have no advice for the OP.  

What is silly is that a Honda or Toyota is just getting broken in at 100K miles, and a Porsche is worn out and asking for trouble.  

German engineering my ass.
Link Posted: 8/20/2016 5:21:20 PM EDT
[#15]
Something like this is what I'm talking about.............................. (not going to hot link, just copy and paste)  http://www.auto.com/cars/pontiac-gto-2006-6g2vx12u86l550374

Under $18k    less than 50k miles.  Aluminum bodied, seating for four, 6.0 LS V8, around 400hp, and completely stealth.
Link Posted: 8/20/2016 5:26:36 PM EDT
[#16]
Quoted:
I have no advice for the OP.  

What is silly is that a Honda or Toyota is just getting broken in at 100K miles, and a Porsche is worn out and asking for trouble.  

German engineering my ass.
View Quote

Not true, there are many 911's out there with 100K miles on them that still run as well as they did new but they've been well cared for. Porsche's are not appliance cars like Tototas or Hondas, to compare them is absolutly laughable. What I and others are saying is they require regular maintnance, more so than most cars (especially Toyota/Honda.) The OP needs to understand that thia if he buys one; as someone said above I wouldn't use a 911 as a primary car.

996/997 911's are suprisingly easy to work on but do require special tools. Changing the oil on my 911 is far easier than my wife's Acura (Honda.) There's nothing wrong with getting a Porsche but you need to know what you're getting into, also very wise to have a PPI performed but as I said above; the OP doesn't want a "mid $20's 911."
Link Posted: 8/20/2016 5:54:27 PM EDT
[#17]
Quoted:

To answer some questions, I do most of my own wrenching.  I'm no mechanic by any means, but I've done brakes, ball joints, water pumps, fuel pumps, a timing belt, etc.  

The reason for the four seats is to have a backup for those rare times when our main vehicle (F-350) goes down.  We want something that will fit the whole family (four of us), even if it won't be comfortable.  And we're not big people.

I hear ya Dr. Salee on the utility of a convertible.  I've had a few over the years (MGB, C4 Vette, 380SL) and I can't remember putting the top down on any of them more than a few times.  I think they're overrated.  Of course, I'm a bald dude, so that could have something to do with it.  :)

Thanks again for all the advice.  Will look in to some of the other makes you guys mentioned.

View Quote

Miata or the new Fiat 124.
Link Posted: 8/20/2016 8:16:12 PM EDT
[#18]
Bought 2001 Porsche  911  last Tuesday.  Turned 33K miles during test drive.  $22K.  Looks new.  Prepurchase inspection found no faults, but mechanic says be forewarned.   Big ticket items can come out of nowhere.  If intermediate shaft bearing fails, the engine grenades.  Zero core value.  New engine on ebay with necessary upgrades is $18,795.  Car becomes instant lawn art.  No other car like, it-lots of fun, even at legal speeds on twisting roads.  You can buy a Boxer for cheap << $10k and have a very similar driving experience and if the engine grenades, you trash it.  Only a small percentage of the 996 series engines have IMS problems but it is not zero.  I took on the risk because I'm getting old and a 911 has been on my bucket list for many decades.  Although I could afford a new one, I can't justify it.
Link Posted: 8/20/2016 8:29:50 PM EDT
[#19]
Quoted:
Bought 2001 Porsche  911  last Tuesday.  Turned 33K miles during test drive.  $22K.  Looks new.  Prepurchase inspection found no faults, but mechanic says be forewarned.   Big ticket items can come out of nowhere.  If intermediate shaft bearing fails, the engine grenades.  Zero core value.  New engine on ebay with necessary upgrades is $18,795.  Car becomes instant lawn art.  No other car like, it-lots of fun, even at legal speeds on twisting roads.  You can buy a Boxer for cheap << $10k and have a very similar driving experience and if the engine grenades, you trash it.  Only a small percentage of the 996 series engines have IMS problems but it is not zero.  I took on the risk because I'm getting old and a 911 has been on my bucket list for many decades.  Although I could afford a new one, I can't justify it.
View Quote

I HIGHLY suggest you be proactive with the IMS 'fix.' Another memeber, LarryG just had his Boxster's IMS fail so it's not 'rare.' The m96 engine is 'problematic,' not enough to completely pass up but to plan. At 33K for a 996 that means it hasn't been driven much and thus very susceptible to failure. Bare minimum, consider the IMS warning monitor be installed but then you might as well have the full 'fix' applied. Going rate is around $1500 installed but then you might as well have the clutch plate replaced (if close) since the tranny has to be dropped. Also, make sure you have the latest (TSB) for the RMS (rear main seal.)

Stroll over to Planet 9 and Rennlist to read more than you want to know....

IMS Solution

Link Posted: 8/20/2016 8:55:42 PM EDT
[#20]
Quoted:

I HIGHLY suggest you be proactive with the IMS 'fix.' Another memeber, LarryG just had his Boxster's IMS fail so it's not 'rare.' The m96 engine is 'problematic,' not enough to completely pass up but to plan. At 33K for a 996 that means it hasn't been driven much and thus very susceptible to failure. Bare minimum, consider the IMS warning monitor be installed but then you might as well have the full 'fix' applied. Going rate is around $1500 installed but then you might as well have the clutch plate replaced (if close) since the tranny has to be dropped. Also, make sure you have the latest (TSB) for the RMS (rear main seal.)

IMS Solution

View Quote View All Quotes
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

IMS Solution

oh shit he blew his engine

that sucks

what is he going to do - rebuild ?

Link Posted: 8/20/2016 9:50:58 PM EDT
[#21]
Unless you want a money pit, put your foot down on this one.  Anything German and used is as expensive as fuck!  Keep looking.  It would be cheaper to buy a brand new Mustang in the long run.  Get her a GT with a manual trans if she wants a sporty car. I know, autos are faster, but there is nothing like having control over the gears and power band. .
Be ready for a new top about every 5 years though.
I say Mustang because, you know, they are chick cars.  

FYI, I love my '15 GT.
Link Posted: 8/20/2016 11:51:59 PM EDT
[#22]
Quoted:

that sucks

View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:

IMS Solution

that sucks

Believe so but I think he has the PNA folks reviewing it. I gave him some contacts I had but he was leaning towards it.
Link Posted: 8/21/2016 1:57:04 AM EDT
[#23]
I've had six Porsches. If I were the OP, I'd get a 2011 or newer Mustang GT convertible. That 5.0 Coyote engine is a peach.

The 911s you're looking at are 996s. Poorest interiors ever put in a 911, the Tiptronic sucks donkey balls, and the M96 engine has a well-deserved bad rep.

When a Porsche goes bad it goes VERY bad. My Cayenne has been a nightmare. It's been in the shop for six weeks this summer. (Five weeks first time. Went back Tuesday for same problem.) No idea if/when I'll get it back. The dealership is unresponsive at best. It's been a horrible experience and I'm of the opinion now that I'll never buy another.
Link Posted: 8/21/2016 9:51:58 AM EDT
[#24]
I would spend that money on a Mustang convertible instead ,
Link Posted: 8/21/2016 4:07:41 PM EDT
[#25]
Quoted:
View Quote

Your car sounds almost exactly like mine..........very low miles which is bad news on an M96 engine.

Where in FL are you?  Brumos won't do the LN Engineering upgrade, but Porsche of Hilton Head will.  I was 20 miles away from having them do it when my IMS failed on my '05 Boxster S........Not my Cayman S.  It's an M97.

Car actually ran pretty decently afterwards but was leaking oil like crazy.

Contact Porsche of Hilton Head.  Do it now.  Get them the car and have them do a new RMS and clutch while they are at it.

I am having my Boxster S fixed.  It will either cost me 3-4k or 15k depending on the aftermarket warranty.  It's worth it to me.

There have been some other cars mentioned in this thread, and I like the new Mustang and all that, but few cars are nearly as nimble as even my 10 year old Cayman and 11 year old Boxster and they both haul ass.

As for a Boxster, I know where there is one that already has the LN Engineering upgrade.

http://www.ormondfineimports.com/2003-Porsche-Boxster/Used-Convertible/OrmondBeach-FL/7763488/Details.aspx

Link Posted: 8/21/2016 5:05:25 PM EDT
[#26]
Quoted:

Believe so but I think he has the PNA folks reviewing it. I gave him some contacts I had but he was leaning towards it.
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:

IMS Solution

that sucks

Yep, it's at Hilton Head Porsche.  Gonna fix it even if I have to pay for it.  It's too nice to just throw away.
Link Posted: 8/21/2016 5:09:00 PM EDT
[#27]
Quoted:
Oh and let me add the auto on 996/997.1 (997.2 is a PDK and different animal,) sucks donkey balls. Random gear hunting under acceleration and IMO totally takes away from the 911. The plus to autos is it kills the resale and they're almost always 'woman owned' so chances of the car being 'pushed' is far less plus you can't 'over-rev' the slush box. Again do not confuse the Tiptronic with PDK introduced in the 2009 MY. PDK is a dual-clutch system that outperforms the straight even when professionally driven. Way, way different animal.

View Quote

Amen to this.  The PDK is the only auto that I would consider.  The loaner has it and it's fun and all, but still prefer the manual.

Only way I would consider the Tiptronic would be in a Cayenne, which I have been thinking about getting later.

Damn V6 will tow 7700 pounds with brake controller.  
Link Posted: 8/21/2016 5:17:54 PM EDT
[#28]
Has she ever driven a rear-engined car before?  If not, and she has any semblance of a lead foot, she is going to spin a 911 -- I suspect.

Link Posted: 8/21/2016 5:21:00 PM EDT
[#29]
Link Posted: 8/21/2016 5:27:38 PM EDT
[#30]
Link Posted: 8/21/2016 5:43:49 PM EDT
[#31]
Quoted:
Talk her into a corvette convertible instead. Way cheaper to maintain...

Im going through the exact same thing with my mom. No matter what, i tell my dad i think he is going to fo on a older porsche for her

See if carmax has anything that would work. They atleast offer warranties.
View Quote

Those 4 seat Corvette convertibles sure are everywhere!
Link Posted: 8/21/2016 5:53:13 PM EDT
[#32]
Quoted:

Any 996 or later will be near impossible to spin without turning off the electronic nannies.
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
Has she ever driven a rear-engined car before?  If not, and she has any semblance of a lead foot, she is going to spin a 911 -- I suspect.

Any 996 or later will be near impossible to spin without turning off the electronic nannies.

For someone who has driven a rear-engined car before, because you have some basis of experience and don't do stupid crap, generally, to begin with, in a rear-engined car.

I mean Lexus had the GX470's that had to have a complete re-map of their traction control systems, because there is only so much you can do before physics just takes over.

It's likely a moot point, because is she wants an auto, she just wants a nice looking car, with some prestige, and will probably drive 57mph on the highway, and near the speed limit on all other roads too.

Link Posted: 8/21/2016 5:56:44 PM EDT
[#33]
I have a 996 turbo. 2002 with 44k miles.  I do some maintenance myself. Just had the ignition switch upgraded (common failure), and the window regulator replaced.  $1,004.  Thank goodness the turbo car doesn't suffer from IMS as it is a different engine.  I drive it quite a bit.
Link Posted: 8/21/2016 6:54:49 PM EDT
[#34]
Quoted:
I've had six Porsches. If I were the OP, I'd get a 2011 or newer Mustang GT convertible. That 5.0 Coyote engine is a peach.

The 911s you're looking at are 996s. Poorest interiors ever put in a 911, the Tiptronic sucks donkey balls, and the M96 engine has a well-deserved bad rep.

When a Porsche goes bad it goes VERY bad. My Cayenne has been a nightmare. It's been in the shop for six weeks this summer. (Five weeks first time. Went back Tuesday for same problem.) No idea if/when I'll get it back. The dealership is unresponsive at best. It's been a horrible experience and I'm of the opinion now that I'll never buy another.
View Quote

Look around for a factory-trained independent Porsche master mechanic.  If you can find a good one in your area, he's worth his weight in gold.  Which it will cost you, btw, but the work will be done properly, and without the attitude you get from dealerships.
Link Posted: 8/21/2016 8:59:40 PM EDT
[#35]
Spending the summer in Md. Will drive to SW Fl. in Sept.  Hope to do Skyline Drive and Blue Ridge Parkway on way home.  Bought '16 Mustang GT with Performance Package last Sept.  Never had a V8 in my life.  It is a blast-mega torque, but as good as it is, it ain't no Porsche.  Back to 911-new IMS, RMS and oil/air separator quoted at @3K total.  New tires next Thursday, shop work the following week, then some road time.  Only problem with having a nice car in Maryland is all the certifiably crazy drivers on the road.  Looking forward to some open road country driving.
Link Posted: 8/21/2016 11:28:06 PM EDT
[#36]
Quoted:
Thanks for reading.  

Convertible
4 seats
Under $20k

View Quote

https://www.mazdausa.com/vehicles/2017-mx-5-miata-rf

If you really want 4+ seats you need to up your budget for a lexus IS350 convertible or infiniti g37 convertible.
Link Posted: 8/21/2016 11:34:19 PM EDT
[#37]
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
Thanks for reading.  

Convertible
4 seats
Under $20k

Yeah, those back seats in that MX5 are really.....................oh wait..............
Link Posted: 8/21/2016 11:40:35 PM EDT
[#38]
Quoted:

Yeah, those back seats in that MX5 are really.....................oh wait..............
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:
Thanks for reading.  

Convertible
4 seats
Under $20k

In what universe is there even a halfway decent 4 seater convertible under 20k that is anything close to a drivers car?    What I posted is the most realistic option to the OP's budget even without 2 rear seats.
Link Posted: 8/21/2016 11:43:15 PM EDT
[#39]
Quoted:

In what universe is there even a halfway decent 4 seater convertible under 20k that is anything close to a drivers car?    What I posted is the most realistic option to the OP's budget even without 2 rear seats.
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:
Thanks for reading.  

Convertible
4 seats
Under $20k

Did you even read the post that you quoted?

4 seats.

What you posted is outside the stated parameters.

I also doubt it will fit his $20k price and it doesn't exist yet.

I am a fan of Mazdas and the Miatas but that does not fit his request.
Link Posted: 8/21/2016 11:47:23 PM EDT
[#40]
Quoted:

Yep, it's at Hilton Head Porsche.  Gonna fix it even if I have to pay for it.  It's too nice to just throw away.
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:

IMS Solution

that sucks

if you have to pay for it send it to Jake Raby (I am sure you hear of him) he will make it bullet proof and you will never have to worry about it
Link Posted: 8/21/2016 11:50:32 PM EDT
[#41]
Quoted:

if you have to pay for it send it to Jake Raby (I am sure you hear of him) he will make it bullet proof and you will never have to worry about it
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

Nope.  

Letting them do it and it comes with a 2 year Porsche factory warranty.
Link Posted: 8/21/2016 11:55:21 PM EDT
[#42]
Quoted:
Spending the summer in Md. Will drive to SW Fl. in Sept.  Hope to do Skyline Drive and Blue Ridge Parkway on way home.  Bought '16 Mustang GT with Performance Package last Sept.  Never had a V8 in my life.  It is a blast-mega torque, but as good as it is, it ain't no Porsche.  Back to 911-new IMS, RMS and oil/air separator quoted at @3K total.  New tires next Thursday, shop work the following week, then some road time.  Only problem with having a nice car in Maryland is all the certifiably crazy drivers on the road.  Looking forward to some open road country driving.
View Quote

that is supposed to be an awesome drive

on my list

Link Posted: 8/22/2016 12:05:23 AM EDT
[#44]
Quoted:

View Quote

If there was a remote possibility of my main vehicle going down as you stated, my backup would most certainly not be anything European with 100k miles, coming from a guy who had his fair share of euros and quite possibly another soon
Link Posted: 8/22/2016 12:07:30 AM EDT
[#45]
Quoted:

http://judymccarroll.com/wp-content/uploads/2011/10/dragon-map.jpg

on my list

View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

on my list

I want to do that...........those cliffs are somewhat worrisome though.
Link Posted: 8/22/2016 12:14:39 AM EDT
[#46]
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:
Thanks for reading.  

Convertible
4 seats
Under $20k

View Quote

View Quote

View Quote

View Quote

4 seats.

View Quote

Yeah I did read it.  And it doesn't matter since its a set of unrealistic requirements for his price point.  (especially for a hardtop convertible)  And the rear seats on most convertibles are useless for anything but kids.  

So I picked the best approximate/realistic option. (and my options does not exclude a used miata, just posting the most ideal version of the current model)

Or would you prefer I posted some mediocre at best option that "met" his requirements?

Link Posted: 8/22/2016 12:15:54 AM EDT
[#47]
Quoted:

View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:

on my list

yes and lots of Bikes on the Road as well. My friend from MO did with his Bike it he said it was awesome.

I wonder if we can get a few ARFCOM'er together and do it as a group that would be fun. Does not all have to be Porsches.

that would be awesome for sure
Link Posted: 8/22/2016 12:33:18 AM EDT
[#48]
View All Quotes

However, starting with the 2006 model year, Porsche in its third revision of the intermediate shaft bearing, changed over to a design that is not serviceable, leaving later model years with no recourse for addressing this issue with preventative maintenance, which failures still frequent.

Both Rennlist and Planet 9 would disagree with this and have even done studies that show the M97 rarely fails except in track cars.

Regardless, all M96 and M97 engines from 1997 through 2008 can suffer intermediate shaft bearing failures at any mileage and at any time.

They would also disagree with this statement as it relates to the M97.

Even at your own link, the failure rate is 10 percent on the M96 so it's not like every one is gonna blow.

Mine just did............low miles on an 11 year old car with an M96 which means it didn't get driven much.  I understood that and was enroute to have the LN Engineering upgrade done when it crapped out.

The Porsche dealer tech said every one he has done, mine makes his 4th, were all cars with 35k or less and about 9-10 years old.  He said it seems that once that get past 40k on an older car, they seem to live.

I had an '03 Boxster base with an M96 with 85k on it and the LN fix had never been done to it.  It got driven all the time unlike one like the '05.  Your link pretty much agrees with that.

I had done the LN Engineering upgrade on it anyway,  as well as some audio upgrades and it will make someone a nice little car.  I just wanted the bigger engine, the extra gear, and I like interior and the exterior of the 987 better.
Link Posted: 8/22/2016 12:36:39 AM EDT
[#49]
Quoted:

Yeah I did read it.  And it doesn't matter since its a set of unrealistic requirements for his price point.  (especially for a hardtop convertible)  And the rear seats on most convertibles are useless for anything but kids.  

So I picked the best approximate/realistic option. (and my options does not exclude a used miata, just posting the most ideal version of the current model)

Or would you prefer I posted some mediocre at best option that "met" his requirements?

View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:

4 seats.

Yeah, that's what he asked for.  What, now you gonna tell the OP what he wants?

Lemme guess, someone can start a thread and specify "NO GLOCK" and you would post "get a Glock" because you know better than he does what he wants, right.

If we are gonna do that, I can recommend another two seater that's a lot faster and one in particular that really fits his price range but it's a manual and only has two seats so I didn't suggest it to the OP since it's not what he asked for it.

You can't seem to grasp that.
Link Posted: 8/22/2016 12:38:05 AM EDT
[#50]
Quoted:

yes and lots of Bikes on the Road as well. My friend from MO did with his Bike it he said it was awesome.

I wonder if we can get a few ARFCOM'er together and do it as a group that would be fun. Does not all have to be Porsches.

View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:

on my list

We can just mark where they go over with skull and crossbone flags and keep on going.
Arrow Left Previous Page
Page / 2
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top