BCM
User Panel

Site Notices
Page / 5
Link Posted: 4/2/2023 1:52:21 PM EDT
[#1]
Discussion ForumsJump to Quoted PostQuote History
Quoted:
Safety is important and has done some good things. Things like trench shoring rules have saved a lot of lives no doubt.  Problem is these people need to justify their existence so they just keep coming up with more shit.  Sometimes it gets to the point that it's either impossible to do the job or actually more dangerous to do it their way.   Arguing with some faggot in a white hard hat who has never worked a day in his life about something he doesn't understand gets old.
View Quote

On the flip side, the guy with the white hard hat gets tired of arguing with the person that says "I've done it this way for 30 years and never had a problem" when he has years of data that says that's not the norm.  

The role of a safety person is tough.  They have to balance putting out a quality product against preventing occupational injuries.  Both field workers and safety people need to actually listen to each other. Safety people need to get better about selling process and procedure changes as "this is how xyz is going to let you do your job better".  Field workers need to get better about explaining why doing something a certain way may be safer.  

In a good program safety isn't the primary goal. it's a byproduct of good, effective, efficient work.
Link Posted: 4/2/2023 1:53:52 PM EDT
[#2]
Quoted:

On the flip side, the guy with the white hard hat gets tired of arguing with the person that says "I've done it this way for 30 years and never had a problem" when he has years of data that says that's not the norm.  

The role of a safety person is tough.  They have to balance putting out a quality product against preventing occupational injuries.  Both field workers and safety people need to actually listen to each other. Safety people need to get better about selling process and procedure changes as "this is how xyz is going to let you do your job better".  Field workers need to get better about explaining why doing something a certain way may be safer.  

In a good program safety isn't the primary goal. it's a byproduct of good, effective, efficient work.
View Quote

Agreed.
Link Posted: 4/2/2023 1:55:11 PM EDT
[#3]
Quoted:
Nothing great was ever achieved by playing it safe.

In each quarter the focus seems to be on  ‘being safe’

My theory is that we are in a feminized era.
View Quote

In case you haven't noticed,  our country has become a nation of scared pussies - liberals lead the charge with their stupidity and inability to determine risk through critical thinking.
Link Posted: 4/2/2023 2:10:12 PM EDT
[#4]
female voters

and the inability to routinely personally cull criminally dangerous people out of our society without being prosecuted by the state and sued by their families.
Link Posted: 4/2/2023 2:23:40 PM EDT
[#5]
ALL of america is GAY now, enjoy the fruitiness????
Link Posted: 4/2/2023 2:27:03 PM EDT
[#6]
Quoted:

List of people to never invite skydiving, freediving, caving, scuba diving, motorcycle riding, traveling, mountain climbing, skiing, ice climbing, para sailing, flying, with me

Aspida1776
View Quote

The amount of people who freak that I cave dive is funny as hell.
Link Posted: 4/2/2023 2:38:55 PM EDT
[#7]
Insurance company’s, lawyers.
Link Posted: 4/2/2023 3:25:46 PM EDT
[#8]
Very little is actually about safety, most of which is basic common sense. Most of the absurd levels of what some call safety is about power. Plain and simple, especially when the .gov is involved.
Link Posted: 4/2/2023 4:33:15 PM EDT
[#9]
Risk aversion, people have become so pussified or indoctrinated that they are reluctant to make any decision for themselves that isn't Govt sponsored. Jumping off of the roof used to be a thing. Now it's almost unheard of.

Not that jumping off of the roof is smart, but the thought process from individual choice, risk vs reward has been removed from the equation.

Just like the top step of a ladder, anyone with two functioning brain cells can tell you the higher you go the less stable the ladder will be.  But lawyers and Govt. got involved and said you need a disclaimer or we'll sue you out of existence.
Link Posted: 4/2/2023 4:38:44 PM EDT
[#10]
Quoted:

List of people to never invite skydiving, freediving, caving, scuba diving, motorcycle riding, traveling, mountain climbing, skiing, ice climbing, para sailing, flying, with me

Aspida1776
View Quote

If you were worried about safety,  you would participate in none of those activities.
Link Posted: 4/2/2023 7:38:22 PM EDT
[#11]
Quoted:

View Quote View All Quotes
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

Aspida1776

As funny as people who are afraid to do jury duty?
Link Posted: 4/2/2023 8:43:11 PM EDT
[#12]
I blame it on gayness.
Link Posted: 4/2/2023 8:45:03 PM EDT
[#13]
Watch a compilation video of industrial accidents on liveleak.
Link Posted: 4/2/2023 8:54:49 PM EDT
[#14]
The short answer is "because people nowadays are pussies".

The long answer is...

We've advanced technologically (in most of the world) to the point that survival is basically a given. Life is no longer a struggle just to survive. We don't have to worry about most of the old diseases, being eaten by animals, or starving.

Life expectancy is way up compared to "the old days" which is a good thing I guess, but in the balance, people are less hardy and instead of having to struggle just to survive, they have plenty of free time to devote to coming up with amazing ideas like "men can get pregnant".

All that said, the world is inherently a dangerous place. To some extent, technology, and "civilized" society shield most people from this fact, but in the end, bad stuff still happens. Those of us who understand this, and take steps to protect ourselves and our loved ones are different from the majority of people in this country now who are cowards and have abdicated this basic human right and responsibility to an uncaring an immoral government.

Link Posted: 4/2/2023 9:05:08 PM EDT
[#15]
It's all money driven.
Link Posted: 4/2/2023 9:10:33 PM EDT
[#16]
Link Posted: 4/2/2023 10:02:11 PM EDT
[#17]
its all about not dying.
Link Posted: 4/2/2023 10:20:46 PM EDT
[#18]
I’m sure if you interviewed all the maimed and dead workers of the world they would tell you” at least I wasn’t a pussy!”……
Seriously though calling all the safety rules in the workplace as “pussification” might be the dumbest thing I have ever heard
Link Posted: 4/2/2023 10:36:55 PM EDT
[#19]
Link Posted: 4/2/2023 10:38:20 PM EDT
[#20]
Quoted:

That is one area.  It seems like many of the things done in that area result from an excessive ‘what if’ game.

View Quote

Lawsuits.
Link Posted: 4/2/2023 10:42:04 PM EDT
[#21]
Link Posted: 4/2/2023 10:49:13 PM EDT
[#22]
Laughs in first rule of roofing.  If you fall off the roof you are fired before you hit the ground.  I got fired twice.
Link Posted: 4/3/2023 7:11:29 AM EDT
[#23]
Quoted:

View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:

Aspida1776

Attachment Attached File

Link Posted: 4/3/2023 7:15:00 AM EDT
[#24]
It’s all fun until your hurt, out of work and your family does without.
Link Posted: 4/3/2023 7:52:25 AM EDT
[#25]
Quoted:
I’m sure if you interviewed all the maimed and dead workers of the world they would tell you” at least I wasn’t a pussy!”……
Seriously though calling all the safety rules in the workplace as “pussification” might be the dumbest thing I have ever heard
View Quote

It's the obsession with safety, not just safety rules in the workplace.  I'd be more interested about which rules didn't exist or were not followed that led up to their event.  Guarantee the number one reason is stupidity and/or lack of common sense.  As someone mentioned, the world is a hazardous place - prepare accordingly.
Link Posted: 4/3/2023 8:02:44 AM EDT
[#26]
It’s a farcical means to keep you under control.
Link Posted: 4/3/2023 8:19:37 AM EDT
[#27]
Quoted:
I’m sure if you interviewed all the maimed and dead workers of the world they would tell you” at least I wasn’t a pussy!”…
View Quote

Big grey Area between sitzing in a Chinese Industrial press where every second of not paying attention can cost you a limb and having to wear a harness for working in the mind boggling height of 4ft.

I agree that we have gone off the rails in Terms of security. A big part of that is that the people who come up with it allways have to reinvent the wheel to justify their own existence. The Amount of engineering hours that have to be invested to develop just the safety analysis / concept / circuits on a moderately dangerous machine is insane*. It is costing a lot, and very far past the point of fiminishing returns.

Take a look at some of the greates american company successtories of the last century and how many of those would still be possible with todays regulations and  requirements ?

*Does not apply if for some reason you are a huge company with tight relationships to a regulatory body. then you can still make a big ass plane nosedive frome a single faulty sensor.
Link Posted: 4/3/2023 8:28:10 AM EDT
[#28]
Bring back yard darts & dodge ball.
Link Posted: 4/3/2023 8:37:29 AM EDT
[#29]
Quoted:
Bring back yard darts & dodge ball.
View Quote

My kids play dodge ball in class.

No lawn darts though.
Link Posted: 4/3/2023 9:29:01 AM EDT
[#30]
Both grandfathers died a miserable death from black lung. Lost a couple great uncles to roof falls - neither died instantly, one at 14. Dad was blown up in a coal
mining disaster.

There are people who exist daily in an environment trying to kill them nonstop, either in an immediate and violent way or in a long term miserable way.

Safety tends to mean something different to those men because getting home to see your family again isn’t a given. I can also see where relatively inert environments can produce a different pov.

I’m down to the last uncle alive - he actually got to retire - and he was a stickler for safety. I consider none of these men effeminate - quite to the contrary, these men are/were physically strong and fearless.

I’m fortunate enough to get to build the equipment they use. We put safety as priority one over and above what is required. Every single safety innovation in our industry since The Act has came from private companies - proximity systems, load locks, two hand operation, down to even the stripes the men wear. Every single one. The government isn’t capable of designing the equipment, let alone producing it and fine tuning it. When it’s your dad, uncle, brother, or cousin at risk you do your part to make their daily service to this society as safe as possible.
Link Posted: 4/3/2023 9:29:55 AM EDT
[#31]
Longer you live the more taxes you pay
Link Posted: 4/3/2023 9:30:38 AM EDT
[#32]
Link Posted: 4/3/2023 9:33:08 AM EDT
[#33]
Quoted:

View Quote

Well, OP, at what point should we just say "fuck safety"?

Please, give us your non-feminized ideas.
Link Posted: 4/3/2023 10:10:31 AM EDT
[#34]
Quoted:

View Quote
k

Who do you think pays the bills for the hold my beer,  and watch this crowd? Especially in the work place?
Link Posted: 4/3/2023 10:14:15 AM EDT
[#35]
Government likes to teach Darwinism until it's time to do Darwinism things.
Link Posted: 4/3/2023 10:14:54 AM EDT
[#36]
Wife and I find it annoying when people come up to us and say our kids aren't being safe.

Do you really think you care more about our kids than us?

We want our kids to be strong
Link Posted: 4/3/2023 10:23:11 AM EDT
[#37]
Quoted:

View Quote

Because not getting hurt and/or dieing isn't always a bad thing......
Link Posted: 4/3/2023 10:55:10 AM EDT
[#38]
“For your own safety” is the justification used by tyrants.

Remember when ATF & FBI murdered all those people in Waco in the name of public safety?
Link Posted: 4/3/2023 11:17:32 AM EDT
[#39]
From my weather app just now.

I guess I better stop everything and run for cover ??

Attachment Attached File
Link Posted: 4/3/2023 11:24:49 AM EDT
[#40]
Is this is a big problem?  Or is it just another case of "If it saves just one child"?

Duracell, the most trusted battery brand, announced today its latest innovation in child safety, a bitter coating on its lithium coin batteries — sizes 2032, 2025, and 2016. This breakthrough innovation in the battery category is designed to help deter accidental ingestions. With coin battery ingestions on the rise over the past two decades and damage that can occur in just two hours from ingestion, Duracell was determined to provide parents and caregivers of young children with an additional safety feature, child-safe packaging, and supportive education to help reverse this rising and devastating trend.

Link Posted: 4/3/2023 11:26:26 AM EDT
[#41]
Quoted:
Is this is a big problem?  Or is it just another case of "If it saves just one child"?

Duracell, the most trusted battery brand, announced today its latest innovation in child safety, a bitter coating on its lithium coin batteries — sizes 2032, 2025, and 2016. This breakthrough innovation in the battery category is designed to help deter accidental ingestions. With coin battery ingestions on the rise over the past two decades and damage that can occur in just two hours from ingestion, Duracell was determined to provide parents and caregivers of young children with an additional safety feature, child-safe packaging, and supportive education to help reverse this rising and devastating trend.

https://www.duracell.com/wp-content/uploads/2020/08/Key-Visual-600x339.jpg
View Quote

Look up Reese's Law.

Link Posted: 4/3/2023 11:35:44 AM EDT
[#42]
Quoted:
Society isn't.  It's about compliance and control.
View Quote

Should have been the First Post.

Link Posted: 4/3/2023 11:44:27 AM EDT
[#43]
Quoted:

View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

OHSA is a result of inaction. Not the other way around.
Link Posted: 4/3/2023 11:44:29 AM EDT
[#44]
Quoted:
View Quote

Everything great was achieved with safety in mind.  Risks were managed and mitigated, procedures changed, and a level of acceptable risk set.  

Safety doesn't mean remove all risk, it means don't accept unnecessary risk, leave yourself outs, and mitigate risks to the greatest extent possible
Link Posted: 4/3/2023 11:47:39 AM EDT
[#45]
Quoted:

View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:

Does OSHA have jurisdiction over the speed limits, too?

1977 Dept of Transportation "55 Saves Lives" Ad Council PSA

Link Posted: 4/3/2023 12:03:54 PM EDT
[#46]
Quoted:

https://www.duracell.com/wp-content/uploads/2020/08/Key-Visual-600x339.jpg
View Quote
It's something like 3000 cases a year.  Depending on the battery, it can be like swallowing a laser.
Link Posted: 4/3/2023 12:15:46 PM EDT
[#47]
Quoted:

Well, OP, at what point should we just say "fuck safety"?

Please, give us your non-feminized ideas.
View Quote

I was standing on the top of a tall Mayan ruin recently in another country and could walk right up to the edge as I saw fit.  Admittedly there was a sign asking people not to sit on the edge.

In the US, either people wouldn’t be allowed up there at all, or the ruin would have a toddler approved railing installed, compromising the experience.

So yeah, I think much of our pearl clutching is stupid.

Link Posted: 4/3/2023 12:32:49 PM EDT
[#48]
Quoted:
Females voters.

The average American has become so desensitized to danger, they are incapable of identifying and mitigating it.
View Quote

No, they're sensitized to every minor burr or splinter that one might come across.
Link Posted: 4/3/2023 12:37:21 PM EDT
[#49]
Lawyers and people with very few kids.

Nobody wants anything to happen to their only kid, I think it can get overbearing.
Link Posted: 4/3/2023 12:43:47 PM EDT
[#50]
Quoted:
Because an injured individual is gold to another.
View Quote
This.

It's mostly due to civil litigation (liability lawsuits).
Everyone wants to avoid those because they're expensive.
Page / 5
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top