Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Site Notices
Page / 13
Link Posted: 2/11/2015 9:47:32 PM EDT
[#1]
I have some Arc stuff and it's great. However, I can get pro deals on Patagonia, and for me the difference to upgrade to full price Arc is not worth it. Patagonia is *almost* as good. The main difference I find is the fit of the arcteryx is a little better, and the details are a little nicer.
Link Posted: 2/11/2015 9:47:56 PM EDT
[#2]
Discussion ForumsJump to Quoted PostQuote History
Never said I summited Everest. However, it is one of the most harsh and difficult things to do in this world and you will see guys wearing Act'eryx clothing while doing it. It's a measure of the clothing and it's durability, which is the topic of conversation here so keep up or keep posting silly shit.
View Quote

Plenty of Land Rovers have crossed the African continent. That doesn't mean that no other vehicle could have made it.
Link Posted: 2/11/2015 9:51:17 PM EDT
[#3]
Quoted:
I'm almost certain people have used other brand gear for that.  
It's a dumb assertion to justify overpriced clothing.
View Quote View All Quotes
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:
Those who don't own Arc'teryx have no clue what they're talking about. Vertx...really...Vertx?  When you see guys summit Everest wearing Vertx let me know.

Most of us aren't in the habit of doing something so monumentally dumb.
Post your pics of you on the summit.

Sure, tell you what you send me the money to do it and I'll make sure to take a pic for you.

Never said I summited Everest. However, it is one of the most harsh and difficult things to do in this world and you will see guys wearing Act'eryx clothing while doing it. It's a measure of the clothing and it's durability, which is the topic of conversation here so keep up or keep posting silly shit.

Project much?
Link Posted: 2/11/2015 9:53:05 PM EDT
[#4]
Quoted:
I have some Arc stuff and it's great. However, I can get pro deals on Patagonia, and for me the difference to upgrade to full price Arc is not worth it. Patagonia is *almost* as good. The main difference I find is the fit of the arcteryx is a little better, and the details are a little nicer.
View Quote

Details make the difference
Link Posted: 2/11/2015 9:56:41 PM EDT
[#5]

Quoted:
Project much?
View All Quotes
Quoted:

Quoted:

Quoted:

Quoted:

Quoted:

Those who don't own Arc'teryx have no clue what they're talking about. Vertx...really...Vertx?  When you see guys summit Everest wearing Vertx let me know.

Sure, tell you what you send me the money to do it and I'll make sure to take a pic for you.

Project much?
But THE SUMMIT!

Link Posted: 2/11/2015 9:58:36 PM EDT
[#6]
Arc is great stuff, though a bit too rich for my blood. Marmot and Mountain Hardwear are my go-to brands.
Link Posted: 2/11/2015 10:03:20 PM EDT
[#7]
Quoted:

View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:

Arcteryx makes superb stuff, but as I said earlier, I don't think theirs is the go-to stuff for 8000m peaks.  That's pretty much the domain of down suits and such.
Link Posted: 2/11/2015 10:05:05 PM EDT
[#8]
I have an Arc'teryx Fission SL and it is the best jacket I've ever had in every single way. Well worth the money.
Link Posted: 2/11/2015 10:06:09 PM EDT
[#9]
Which Arc'teryx products do they wear when climbing Everest, K2, etc?

I do not see anything on their website that looks comparable to the Marmot 8000M or Mountain Hardwear Absolute Zero.

Link Posted: 2/11/2015 10:16:30 PM EDT
[#10]
Quoted:

I do not see anything on their website that looks comparable to the Marmot 8000M or Mountain Hardwear Absolute Zero.

View Quote

Maybe they don't make anything for that. Just because they make some cold weather and outdoor clothing doesn't mean they have to make something to fit that bill
Link Posted: 2/11/2015 10:21:10 PM EDT
[#11]

Klim Stealth
Uber expensive, even more comfortable ( stretchable goretex!), and lets everyone know that you and your sport are cooler than everyone else
Link Posted: 2/11/2015 10:23:14 PM EDT
[#12]
Quoted:
Quoted:
The Atom is the best jacket I own . . .

Keeps you warm down to 35-40* with just it and a T-shirt in addition to the "Slim fit, lightweight"/mall ninja type stuff.
View Quote

Sounds about as warm as the $40 fleece I have hanging on my door at work.
View Quote

How much does your $40 fleece weigh?

Post a picture of it . . .

I sure hope you only own $300 ARs since anything above that does exactly the same thing

in addition to the beating you already took on your comment back on the last page
Link Posted: 2/11/2015 10:25:40 PM EDT
[#13]
just bought a gloverall duffle coat from ebay for 20 bucks.  all wool, made in england, new about 650 bucks.
Link Posted: 2/11/2015 10:26:12 PM EDT
[#14]
Quoted:

What does it feel like to never wear arc?
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
A lot of that Arcteryx stuff is copied from the Condor brand.  You can look at the Condor and Arcteryx together and see it a copy.

snob
Link Posted: 2/11/2015 10:33:18 PM EDT
[#15]
Quoted:

Maybe they don't make anything for that. Just because they make some cold weather and outdoor clothing doesn't mean they have to make something to fit that bill
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

Somebody posted/ implied in this very thread that they did. Several of us questioned that very notion as it seems suspect. Maybe they meant base layers or mid layers.

Link Posted: 2/11/2015 10:53:21 PM EDT
[#16]
Quoted:
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:

Going to have to agree with this here. The fact that a company makes expedition gear has absolutely nothing to do with a mass marketed softshell from the same company. If that is a metric to go by people will be happy to know that Eddie Bauer also makes Everest grade gear.

I have an Atom AR and find it to be a great jacket for running around in. I have been very happy with it. Having said that I will also say that it is not a huge improvement over the North Face Redpoint that it replaced (although I do like the fit better). I like the Atom, but not enough that I would spend 2x what the North Face jacket cost again if I needed to replace it.

I will also agree with what another commenter said above: if I am going to be out in really cold temps (teens and below) for an extended period I will grab my Carhartt or Bonfire depending on activity. The Atom gets worn to work or running errands.

I also have to laugh at people who review their shells and say they keep them warm down into the mid 30's no problem... that's barely sweatshirt weather
Link Posted: 2/11/2015 11:14:02 PM EDT
[#17]

Quoted:

I also have to laugh at people who review their shells and say they keep them warm down into the mid 30's no problem... that's barely sweatshirt weather
View Quote

To be fair if it's in the 30's in south FL, I'm bundled up like the Michelin man
Link Posted: 2/11/2015 11:14:17 PM EDT
[#18]
Quoted:

View Quote

Because we are having some Sherpa drag my oxygen deprived, half frozen ass up a littered mountain top so I could show all my golf buddies that I was there and spent $80k on an expeditions!

This is about minimizing bulk, maximizing freedom of movement, top tier lightweight construction, and looking cool as fuck doing it out and about below 8000 meters.

Holy shit
Link Posted: 2/11/2015 11:15:02 PM EDT
[#19]
Quoted:
http://snoriderswest.com/images/uploads/klimsteathoutfit630.jpg

Klim Stealth
Uber expensive, even more comfortable ( stretchable goretex!), and lets everyone know that you and your sport are cooler than everyone else
View Quote

That looks like Fox Racing bullshit

But did you say stretchable gore tex?

I'm in.   What's the damage?

Link Posted: 2/11/2015 11:16:09 PM EDT
[#20]
Quoted:
just bought a gloverall duffle coat from ebay for 20 bucks.  all wool, made in england, new about 650 bucks.
View Quote

Why do you want to wear a sheep?
Link Posted: 2/11/2015 11:16:55 PM EDT
[#21]
I run a wide variety of their stuff. great cut and durable stuff

I think there's a lot of good quality stuff on the market but arcteryx e it h their longer cut arms and torso fit tall guys like me very well
Link Posted: 2/11/2015 11:17:32 PM EDT
[#22]
Quoted:

snob
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:
A lot of that Arcteryx stuff is copied from the Condor brand.  You can look at the Condor and Arcteryx together and see it a copy.

snob

Coming from "FordGuy"
Link Posted: 2/11/2015 11:17:33 PM EDT
[#23]

Quoted:

View All Quotes
Quoted:

Quoted:

Klim Stealth

Every goretex sample I've gotten from WL gore had been extremely flexible and bendable.

Link Posted: 2/11/2015 11:18:25 PM EDT
[#24]
Quoted:
I have an Arc'teryx Fission SL and it is the best jacket I've ever had in every single way. Well worth the money.
View Quote

See?

You either "get it"

Or you make excuses.

You Sir, "get it"
Link Posted: 2/11/2015 11:19:29 PM EDT
[#25]

Quoted:
See?

You either "get it"

Or you make excuses.

You Sir, "get it"
View All Quotes
Quoted:

Quoted:

See?

You either "get it"

Or you make excuses.

You Sir, "get it"
Tell that shit to my condor jacket.

Still going strong, after years of abuse.

Link Posted: 2/11/2015 11:19:56 PM EDT
[#26]
Quoted:
Every goretex sample I've gotten from WL gore had been extremely flexible and bendable.  
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:

Klim Stealth

Every fish I've ever caught has been able to bend and has been extremely flexible.

But I've never caught a stretchable fish......
Link Posted: 2/11/2015 11:20:54 PM EDT
[#27]
Quoted:

https://lh4.googleusercontent.com/-dc2bs_DX2sg/UrD49UIaw5I/AAAAAAAAPDA/1IRQF7nF35A/s1024/IMG_5269.JPG

View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:

See?

You either "get it"

Or you make excuses.

You Sir, "get it"

https://lh4.googleusercontent.com/-dc2bs_DX2sg/UrD49UIaw5I/AAAAAAAAPDA/1IRQF7nF35A/s1024/IMG_5269.JPG

You should get some Crye pants.   Your knees will thank you.   And probably the rest of you as well.

Edit:  what's with the sling?
Link Posted: 2/11/2015 11:22:48 PM EDT
[#28]
Quoted:
I run a wide variety of their stuff. great cut and durable stuff

I think there's a lot of good quality stuff on the market but arcteryx e it h their longer cut arms and torso fit tall guys like me very well
View Quote

Arc

Not for short manlets

Nordic type alpha males please apply.
Link Posted: 2/11/2015 11:24:45 PM EDT
[#29]
Almost paid $500 for their jacket until I saw made in China. Fuck that.
Link Posted: 2/11/2015 11:27:47 PM EDT
[#30]
Quoted:
Arc is a dick measuring tool, there are other just as great gear that wont cost as much.

Marmot, patagonia, north face, heck LL bean.
View Quote

Agreed.  The only pants I have ever returned to REI were Arc'teryx when the stitching started coming out on the cuffs.
Link Posted: 2/11/2015 11:28:36 PM EDT
[#31]

Quoted:
Every fish I've ever caught has been able to bend and has been extremely flexible.

View All Quotes
Quoted:

Quoted:

Quoted:

Quoted:

Klim Stealth

It's extremely stretchy bendable pliable and flexible. It's a pretty amazing material. I'll see if I have one at my desk and take pictures tomorrow
Link Posted: 2/11/2015 11:30:19 PM EDT
[#32]

Quoted:
You should get some Crye pants.   Your knees will thank you.   And probably the rest of you as well.

View All Quotes
Quoted:

Quoted:

Quoted:

Quoted:

See?

You either "get it"

Or you make excuses.

You Sir, "get it"

Our instructors fubarred the rifle and left it in the car. I hadn't got the sling back around me yet.

I like the idea of the Crye pants for sure.
Link Posted: 2/11/2015 11:30:37 PM EDT
[#33]
Quoted:

View Quote

Polartec NeoShell

a bunch of jackets that aren't made for snow machine dorks are available
Link Posted: 2/11/2015 11:30:53 PM EDT
[#34]
Quoted:

is there stuff any good?  STP had a set of snowboard pants for a good deal but no reviews..  i only have a beanie made by mountain hardware and its not that great..

View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
For the record, I'm a Mountain Hardwear fanboi.

is there stuff any good?  STP had a set of snowboard pants for a good deal but no reviews..  i only have a beanie made by mountain hardware and its not that great..

It's phenomenally good.
Link Posted: 2/11/2015 11:39:56 PM EDT
[#35]
Quoted:

Because we are having some Sherpa drag my oxygen deprived, half frozen ass up a littered mountain top so I could show all my golf buddies that I was there and spent $80k on an expeditions!

This is about minimizing bulk, maximizing freedom of movement, top tier lightweight construction, and looking cool as fuck doing it out and about below 8000 meters.

Holy shit
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

Holy shit

I take it you didn't bother to read the whole thread before you posted.
Link Posted: 2/11/2015 11:59:43 PM EDT
[#36]
Love my Arc stuff. I also really like my Outdoor Research clothing. OR has a better pro deal too (50% off).
Link Posted: 2/12/2015 12:04:55 AM EDT
[#37]
Quoted:

Polartec NeoShell

View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

Polartec NeoShell

Jacket will rape your wallet for the total of 579 with the bibs costing 589 oh and they are only shells. But I abuse the living crap out of my jacket and bibs ( typical ride involves me burning 4000 calories, getting wacked by tree branches, many awkward and horrible situations getting people unstuck, and a constant mix of adrenaline/testosterone laced sweat mixed with a hint of 2 stoke oil.), and been in a couple whitouts with -30* windchill and barely noticed.  There is a reason all the snow machine dorks wear it and not arc or polartec, plus klim supports horsepower, freedom, and big titties.  Polartec and arc support girls with hairy pits, socialism, and douchbaggery!
Link Posted: 2/12/2015 12:08:15 AM EDT
[#38]
Quoted:
i like my Carhart coat.
View Quote

Yup
Link Posted: 2/12/2015 12:10:14 AM EDT
[#39]
Quoted:

Ex-pen-sive.
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
How is that even pronounced??

Ex-pen-sive.

Link Posted: 2/12/2015 12:13:40 AM EDT
[#40]
My every day wear is a Wild Things. Down here in AL, it does everything you'd ever need in the coldest weather.

I think I paid $180? for it.

Link Posted: 2/12/2015 12:19:28 AM EDT
[#41]
Just wait till we all find out about Westcomb and Mammut.
Link Posted: 2/12/2015 12:21:45 AM EDT
[#42]
Arc has served me well in upstate ny. Last couple winters have been no joke, easily the harshest I can remember in my lifetime.
Atom and Naga are very warm and all that you'd need up there, and the Alpha on top for when it's snowing hard.
Buy once, cry once.
Link Posted: 2/12/2015 12:25:42 AM EDT
[#43]
Kitanica

Link Posted: 2/12/2015 12:31:00 AM EDT
[#44]
Quoted:

I stick with the original, not some knock off brand.
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:

I stick with the original, not some knock off brand.

Thank you for the laugh!
Link Posted: 2/12/2015 12:32:02 AM EDT
[#45]
Quoted:
This is the HK of outerwear.
View Quote

Pfffft

Call me when they release the Glock of outerwear.

Link Posted: 2/12/2015 12:36:54 AM EDT
[#46]

Although it is good stuff, outside of the US, Arcteryx would probably be considered a mid-range line. Mountain Force, Kjus, Millet, Bogner, Eider, Mammut. They all come to mind as equal or better quality/design and some significantly more expensive. In areas where mountain sports and apres-ski are common, "best" is defined differently.

Link Posted: 2/12/2015 12:47:14 AM EDT
[#47]

Quoted:

If I'm getting a chinese coat I prefer to pay chinese coat prices.  
View Quote
boom.

Link Posted: 2/12/2015 12:58:06 AM EDT
[#48]

Quoted:

View All Quotes
Quoted:

Quoted:

Quoted:

See?

You either "get it"

Or you make excuses.

You Sir, "get it"

I love the one mud spot in that field of nice green freshly mowed grass. It's like throwing your rifle down your driveway for clothes.

Link Posted: 2/12/2015 1:10:44 AM EDT
[#49]

Quoted:

I love the one mud spot in that field of nice green freshly mowed grass. It's like throwing your rifle down your driveway for clothes.  
View All Quotes
Quoted:

Quoted:

Quoted:

Quoted:

See?

You either "get it"

Or you make excuses.

You Sir, "get it"

No shit.

There were probably a dozen of us rolling in that spot for half a day.
Link Posted: 2/12/2015 2:15:28 AM EDT
[#50]
Quoted:
No shit.  

View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:

See?

You either "get it"

Or you make excuses.

You Sir, "get it"

No shit.  

Who needs HSLD Arc'teryx gear when you're wearing a shemag...
Page / 13
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top