User Panel

Site Notices
Page / 13
Link Posted: 2/11/2015 6:52:20 PM EDT
[#1]
Discussion ForumsJump to Quoted PostQuote History
Quoted:
The Atom is the best jacket I own . . .

Keeps you warm down to 35-40* with just it and a T-shirt in addition to the "Slim fit, lightweight"/mall ninja type stuff.
View Quote

Sounds about as warm as the $40 fleece I have hanging on my door at work.
Link Posted: 2/11/2015 6:54:27 PM EDT
[#2]
Quoted:

is there stuff any good?  STP had a set of snowboard pants for a good deal but no reviews..  i only have a beanie made by mountain hardware and its not that great..
View Quote View All Quotes
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
For the record, I'm a Mountain Hardwear fanboi.

is there stuff any good?  STP had a set of snowboard pants for a good deal but no reviews..  i only have a beanie made by mountain hardware and its not that great..

The couple of Mountain Hardware jackets I have are great. They are definitely a well respected name in the outdoor world.
Link Posted: 2/11/2015 6:58:33 PM EDT
[#3]
Quoted:

You *do know* they make expedition gear.  As in fitting out expeditions to the top of Everest, K2, and Antartica?  Do you live on the 3rd moon of Jupiter or some shit?
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
I guess winter is subjective. They make nothing suitable for winter where I live.

You *do know* they make expedition gear.  As in fitting out expeditions to the top of Everest, K2, and Antartica?  Do you live on the 3rd moon of Jupiter or some shit?

I don't know if their stuff is really up for 8000m peaks, but yeah, it should be ok for Michigan.
Link Posted: 2/11/2015 7:03:48 PM EDT
[#4]
Quoted:

View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

Keeps you warm down to 35-40* with just it and a T-shirt in addition to the "Slim fit, lightweight"/mall ninja type stuff.

It will be much warmer than a fleece.  The insulating layer is sandwiched between two layers of nylon, making it less breathable but warmer than a fleece jacket - even a 300 weight fleece.
Link Posted: 2/11/2015 7:06:38 PM EDT
[#5]
Quoted:

View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

Fleece may be just as warm, but with much more bulk.  I have a Arc' combat fleece and an Atom LT, although both offer the same level of warmth, the Atom is almost magical.  The Atom is extremely light weight.  Like only 12oz.  Fleece that gives me the same warmth yields 28oz.  Then add to it the fact the Atom uses core loft which means even fully soaked with water it still has full insulation capability...something fleece doesn't offer.  Then consider that you can compress the Atom down to the size of a 20oz soda bottle, something fleece doesn't do.  Oh, and in Texas, when I wake up and it is 28F outside I can put on my Atom, and as it warms up to 75F in the sun I don't even notice.  I don't overheat, the core loft and stretch panels allow me to keep moving (up to around 75F) without overheating and needing to take it off (it is wierd).  With fleece I overheat around 60-65F.  

The Atom is the single most usable all around piece of kit I own.  I have fleece too, but it can't even compare to this thing (even my Arc'teryx fleece).

ETA:  It uses PacLite not CoreLoft...sorry
Link Posted: 2/11/2015 7:11:39 PM EDT
[#6]
Quoted:

did you guys rehearse that?!?
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:
A lot of that Arcteryx stuff is copied from the Condor brand.  You can look at the Condor and Arcteryx together and see it a copy.

What does it feel like to never wear arc?

I stick with the original, not some knock off brand.

did you guys rehearse that?!?

Only in the mirror
Link Posted: 2/11/2015 7:12:23 PM EDT
[#7]
Quoted:
http://i13.photobucket.com/albums/a261/frieco/8_15_14/woolrich5031_zpscbca04e7.jpg

Oldschool performance fabric.  Makes that chinese rain fly look like the gimped up tracksuit top it is.  

Got a bigass pocket in the back for dead things too.
View Quote

Ok Elmer Fudd
Link Posted: 2/11/2015 7:13:47 PM EDT
[#8]
What about Triple Aught Design?  

Also Vertx is like a less expensive Arcteryx.
Link Posted: 2/11/2015 7:14:26 PM EDT
[#9]
Quoted:

The couple of Mountain Hardware jackets I have are great. They are definitely a well respected name in the outdoor world.
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:

MH is great for mountain climbing

It's too heavy for casual gray man stuff around the city.
Link Posted: 2/11/2015 7:15:27 PM EDT
[#10]
Quoted:

View Quote

Shitty ripoff of arcteryx is still not arcteryx

They are all over the place like a cheap suit
Link Posted: 2/11/2015 7:17:32 PM EDT
[#11]
Quoted:

Them and Patagonia.
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
This is the HK of outerwear.

Them and Patagonia.

own to much of their stuff

Link Posted: 2/11/2015 7:18:26 PM EDT
[#12]
Quoted:

View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

Still just as good.

Fiscal sense, you have none..
Link Posted: 2/11/2015 7:19:07 PM EDT
[#13]
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:

Them and Patagonia.

http://www.outdoorbrands.nl/WebRoot/Store/Shops/Outdoorbrands/4EC7/AFC9/541D/B0FF/9626/515D/32C9/6502/Patagonia_Shop_Logo.jpg

Too mainstream.  Doesn't say anything about the owner other than a post-north face follower lemming
Link Posted: 2/11/2015 7:19:57 PM EDT
[#14]
Quoted:

Too mainstream.  Doesn't say anything about the owner other than a post-north face follower lemming
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:

Them and Patagonia.

http://www.outdoorbrands.nl/WebRoot/Store/Shops/Outdoorbrands/4EC7/AFC9/541D/B0FF/9626/515D/32C9/6502/Patagonia_Shop_Logo.jpg

lol
Link Posted: 2/11/2015 7:22:21 PM EDT
[#15]
Quoted:

Still just as good.

View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:

Still just as good.

Not true

Fiscal sense has allowed me to buy arc
Link Posted: 2/11/2015 7:23:30 PM EDT
[#16]
Quoted:

View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:

Too heavy? They don't just make climbing jackets. Plus, I'll take a lightweight down puffy by MH (and others) any day of the week. Granted, they aren't "dressy". Is the below not comparable to the Diplomat?
http://www.mountainhardwear.com/mens-toasty-tweed-fleece-jacket-OM4794.html?dwvar_OM4794_variationColor=010#pg=2&start=0
Link Posted: 2/11/2015 7:26:52 PM EDT
[#17]
Quoted:

Too heavy? They don't just make climbing jackets. Plus, I'll take a lightweight down puffy by MH (and others) any day of the week. Granted, they aren't "dressy". Is the below not comparable to the Diplomat?
http://www.mountainhardwear.com/mens-toasty-tweed-fleece-jacket-OM4794.html?dwvar_OM4794_variationColor=010#pg=2&start=0
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:

It's kind of dumpy in the mid section and the cuff edges are not as nice

That looks like something the Norwegian mountain guards would issue to officers
But cleverly left out a few inches for "tailoring" (aka room for Americans)
Link Posted: 2/11/2015 7:27:14 PM EDT
[#18]
Quoted:

View Quote

There are a lot of really good options out there.  TAD is one, I've never had Vertx, but I recall looking into them about a year ago and finding that two of their jackets were actually manufactured by Arc'teryx (one was the Leaf Bravo that had an extra zipper on it).  The thing with Vertx was some of their stuff was not so great.  TAD is pretty solid, but it has a different feel than Arc'teryx.  With Arc I don't have to walk around looking like a mall ninja, with TAD, that's almost a requisite.  Patigonia is another good manufacturer.
Link Posted: 2/11/2015 7:29:37 PM EDT
[#19]
Quoted:

It's kind of dumpy in the mid section and the cuff edges are not as nice

That looks like something the Norwegian mountain guards would issue to officers
But cleverly left out a few inches for "tailoring" (aka room for Americans)
View Quote

Link Posted: 2/11/2015 7:32:04 PM EDT
[#20]
Have a Beta AR jacket and Bora 80backpack.
Mine says made in Canada. I need a atom jacket next.
Link Posted: 2/11/2015 7:39:26 PM EDT
[#21]
How do you guys with Glock-grade outerwear expect to survive a wintertime CCW encounter if you can't even move your damn arms?

All the money people spend on silly stuff, yet a good jacket is out of the question.   "Nah my condor is good enuff"

Yeah enjoy your stumpy arms
Link Posted: 2/11/2015 7:55:01 PM EDT
[#22]
I don't own a lot of outerwear living in Las Vegas, but I do have several Otte Gear items I have bought over the years at SHOT show at a deep discount that is great gear.
Link Posted: 2/11/2015 7:56:32 PM EDT
[#23]
Quoted:
I don't own a lot of outerwear living in Las Vegas, but I do have several Otte Gear items I have bought over the years at SHOT show at a deep discount that is great gear.
View Quote

What is this?   Got a link?
Link Posted: 2/11/2015 8:02:08 PM EDT
[#24]
http://www.ottegear.com/main.php

They generally sell their SHOT show inventory at like 75% off.

I've got an Alpine jacket and Pants, a helo jacket, and a dk hybrid jacket that I've paid a total of around $500 for at SHOT.

Link Posted: 2/11/2015 8:04:10 PM EDT
[#25]
Holy fuck. This thread has it all. Groupies, haters, obtuse, ignorant, fudds, hipsters, and fags.
Link Posted: 2/11/2015 8:06:50 PM EDT
[#26]

Quoted:

Holy fuck. This thread has it all. Groupies, haters, obtuse, ignorant, fudds, hipsters, and fags.
View Quote

and you!
Link Posted: 2/11/2015 8:07:45 PM EDT
[#27]
Quoted:

and you!
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
Holy fuck. This thread has it all. Groupies, haters, obtuse, ignorant, fudds, hipsters, and fags, and me.

and you!

Fixed.
Link Posted: 2/11/2015 8:08:31 PM EDT
[#28]
I buy most of my Arc USED.  You can find it on Ebay and if you know what you are looking for, you can score non China Arc, which is much better in quality.  The shit lasts a lifetime.  Really does.  
Link Posted: 2/11/2015 8:12:26 PM EDT
[#29]

Quoted:

"Just got my a Diplomat jacket to updress from my Alpha."

Dafug did he say?

View Quote

He be on the rebound with the medici.

Link Posted: 2/11/2015 8:19:50 PM EDT
[#30]
Quoted:
I buy most of my Arc USED.  You can find it on Ebay and if you know what you are looking for, you can score non China Arc, which is much better in quality.  The shit lasts a lifetime.  Really does.  
View Quote

Used?

Why the fuck would I wear pants with someone else's farts them?
Link Posted: 2/11/2015 8:20:36 PM EDT
[#31]
Quoted:
View Quote

Which Flavor of snowflake are you????

You left out "classist"

Link Posted: 2/11/2015 8:25:30 PM EDT
[#32]
Quoted:

View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:

Them and Patagonia.

You've got to be fucking kidding me.  "Mainstream"...you equated that owning Patgonia or Northface gear is "mainstream". Go sip on a PBR and cinch up your skinny jeans OP
Link Posted: 2/11/2015 8:26:00 PM EDT
[#33]
Those who don't own Arc'teryx have no clue what they're talking about. Vertx...really...Vertx?  When you see guys summit Everest wearing Vertx let me know.

Link Posted: 2/11/2015 8:27:31 PM EDT
[#34]

Quoted:
Just as they make nothing suitable for summer where I live.  (apparently running around nekkid is frowned upon)

View All Quotes
Quoted:

Quoted:

I guess winter is subjective. They make nothing suitable for winter where I live.

Just as they make nothing suitable for summer where I live.  (apparently running around nekkid is frowned upon)

I need a rain jacket that breathes. I spend a lot of time in the Everglades in the summer bugs and all and desperately need one.
Link Posted: 2/11/2015 8:38:49 PM EDT
[#35]
Quoted:

You've got to be fucking kidding me.  "Mainstream"...you equated that owning Patgonia or Northface gear is "mainstream". Go sip on a PBR and cinch up your skinny jeans OP
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:

Them and Patagonia.

You must be a Glock guy huh?

The dead bird is like a calling card for others that I have been initiated into secret club.

Some of us are just into better stuff.  Don't hate.  You could do it too if you tried.  But understand,
For some of us, it just comes natural.

We also usually have HK stickers on the backs of our POV's too.
Link Posted: 2/11/2015 8:39:15 PM EDT
[#36]
Quoted:
Those who don't own Arc'teryx have no clue what they're talking about. Vertx...really...Vertx?  When you see guys summit Everest wearing Vertx let me know.

View Quote

Protip:

You don't.
Link Posted: 2/11/2015 8:50:30 PM EDT
[#37]
P
Quoted:
If I'm getting a chinese coat I prefer to pay chinese coat prices.  
View All Quotes
Quoted:

I like dead bird stuff, but that's the thing that bugs me the most. They shipped manufacturing overseas, but their prices stayed the same, if not increased. I just ordered a couple LEAF items, thinking the LEAF stuff was still made in the US or Canada, but nope. Or at least be honest about it on their webpage. In the FAQs under "Where are Arc'teryx products manufactured?" It says:

Arc'teryx owns and operates its own factory in the Vancouver, British Columbia area where the majority of our items are manufactured. This factory has played an integral role in developing and perfecting many of the unique construction methods used to produce Arc'teryx products. As a worldwide leader in manufacturing, Arc'teryx also utilizes production facilities in several other countries, including America, China, Vietnam, Taiwan and New Zealand.

Which frankly is BS since all the new stuff I've seen is made overseas.

I think Marmot or Patagonia or Mountain Hardwear are a better value. I can pro discounts on all the above, and the deals are great, except the Arc'teryx discount which can be beat by buying from a local retailer.

Great product, but overpriced now that they are made in asian sweatshops.
Link Posted: 2/11/2015 8:54:42 PM EDT
[#38]
Quoted:

I like dead bird stuff, but that's the thing that bugs me the most. They shipped manufacturing overseas, but their prices stayed the same, if not increased. I just ordered a couple LEAF items, thinking the LEAF stuff was still made in the US or Canada, but nope. Or at least be honest about it on their webpage. In the FAQs under "Where are Arc'teryx products manufactured?" It says:

I think Marmot or Patagonia or Mountain Hardwear are a better value. I can pro discounts on all the above, and the deals are great, except the Arc'teryx discount which can be beat by buying from a local retailer.
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

Arc'teryx owns and operates its own factory in the Vancouver, British Columbia area where the majority of our items are manufactured. This factory has played an integral role in developing and perfecting many of the unique construction methods used to produce Arc'teryx products. As a worldwide leader in manufacturing, Arc'teryx also utilizes production facilities in several other countries, including America, China, Vietnam, Taiwan and New Zealand.

Vancouver
Link Posted: 2/11/2015 8:57:39 PM EDT
[#39]

Quoted:

View Quote

Most of us aren't in the habit of doing something so monumentally dumb.

Post your pics of you on the summit.
Link Posted: 2/11/2015 8:58:01 PM EDT
[#40]

Quoted:

Who else is down with dead bird?

View Quote

It's pretty much all I buy anymore. Buy once, cry once... But you keep buying it so you keep crying.
Link Posted: 2/11/2015 8:58:14 PM EDT
[#41]
Arcteryx of 5 years ago? Yes. They were out on the cutting edge of outerwear and the whole market followed them.

Today? You can get the same quality product with the same quality warranty from a number of companies - Patagonia, Marmont, OR, etc. Now that they aren't independent, they are just going to keep trading against their name until it isn't worth anything.
Link Posted: 2/11/2015 8:59:18 PM EDT
[#42]
Quoted:

It's pretty much all I buy anymore. Buy once, cry once... But you keep buying it so you keep crying.
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

To be fair, It's more like gloating.
Link Posted: 2/11/2015 9:00:08 PM EDT
[#43]
Quoted:
Arcteryx of 5 years ago? Yes. They were out on the cutting edge of outerwear and the whole market followed them.

Today? You can get the same quality product with the same quality warranty from a number of companies - Patagonia, Marmont, OR, etc. Now that they aren't independent, they are just going to keep trading against their name until it isn't worth anything.
View Quote

Hipsters
Link Posted: 2/11/2015 9:08:30 PM EDT
[#44]

Quoted:

View All Quotes
Quoted:

Quoted:

Quoted:

I love gearing up for an activity like mountain biking or climbing and realizing I'm all Arc'd out.

All the haters have no idea. The fit and form is second to none; no bulk, no excess, maximum warmth and style means I'm outside and able to move freely while they are not. Arc wins every time.
Link Posted: 2/11/2015 9:09:30 PM EDT
[#45]
Quoted:

I love gearing up for an activity like mountain biking or climbing and realizing I'm all Arc'd out.
All the haters have no idea. The fit and form is second to none; no bulk, no excess, maximum warmth and style means I'm outside and able to move freely while they are not. Arc wins every time.
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:

Yup.   Running in -10 weather.  No problem.  And most importantly, no bulk and breathable.
Link Posted: 2/11/2015 9:33:43 PM EDT
[#46]
It's so funny watching people run from brand to brand trying to be the most stylish person that spends the most on their outdoor gear.

These companies start small selling quality gear into niche markets like mountain climbing and then inevitably some one in management decides to increase sale by broadening the appeal of the brand marketing it to more mainstream buyers, while at the same time offshoring production to increase the profit margin. Then the company runs with it until the brand is worthless and the customers have flocked to the next quality niche brand.

North Face > Patagonia > Arc

Link Posted: 2/11/2015 9:36:21 PM EDT
[#47]
Quoted:
It's so funny watching people run from brand to brand trying to be the most stylish person that spends the most on their outdoor gear.

These companies start small selling quality gear into niche markets like mountain climbing and then inevitably some one in management decides to broaden the appeal of the brand by marketing it to more mainstream buyers, while at the same time offshoring production to increase the profit margin. Then the company runs with it until the brand is worthless and the customers have flocked to the next quality niche brand.

North Face > Patagonia > Arc

View Quote

I never really turned my back on north face when the fashionistas moved on from it.

I think they still make some of the best gear and offer a full line of it.

But arc does their thing, and it's a better product for people trying to keep things light.

Also, arc doesn't fit fatties.   North face and Patagonia, does however.
Link Posted: 2/11/2015 9:37:35 PM EDT
[#48]
The best cold weather jacket I own is made by Norrona.  I got it off of Steep & Cheap a few years ago for a steal.  It is light, windproof and incredibly warm.  I could wear it in 20 degree weather over a t-shirt and still be warm.
Link Posted: 2/11/2015 9:37:47 PM EDT
[#49]
Quoted:

View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

Sure, tell you what you send me the money to do it and I'll make sure to take a pic for you.

Never said I summited Everest. However, it is one of the most harsh and difficult things to do in this world and you will see guys wearing Act'eryx clothing while doing it. It's a measure of the clothing and it's durability, which is the topic of conversation here so keep up or keep posting silly shit.
Link Posted: 2/11/2015 9:42:24 PM EDT
[#50]

Quoted:
Sure, tell you what you send me the money to do it and I'll make sure to take a pic for you.

Never said I summited Everest. However, it is one of the most harsh and difficult things to do in this world and you will see guys wearing Act'eryx clothing while doing it. It's a measure of the clothing and it's durability, which is the topic of conversation here so keep up or keep posting silly shit.

View All Quotes
Quoted:

Quoted:

Quoted:

I'm almost certain people have used other brand gear for that.

It's a dumb assertion to justify overpriced clothing.
Page / 13
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top