Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Site Notices
Page / 4
Link Posted: 2/25/2006 3:49:27 PM EDT
[#1]
I don't at all.

I have a terrible family history of drunkenness, not something I want to propagate.  My religion does not permit it but that is not the primary reason I don't drink.  I went camping with a friend on night and he brought a bottle of Jack Daniels and a case of Coke.  I had a JD&C and didn't really care for it that much but I wanted to just try the JD.  So I poured about 10oz into a cup (warm) and proceeded to drink it.  That was the first alcohol I had ever tasted that I like the taste.  It was like the hand of God smacked me up side the head (pre-religious days by the way) and said "Think about it!"  If I like the taste I could see it becoming a major problem that I didn't need so from that day on I have not had any alcohol (sans Nyquil) and I am 32.

I take a ribbing for it but I don't care I have better things to do with my money than puke/pee it way.
Link Posted: 2/25/2006 3:50:23 PM EDT
[#2]

<<<<<------------------  Colt_SBR    

Link Posted: 2/25/2006 3:50:43 PM EDT
[#3]
Alcoholism runs in my family.

At most I have a drink once a month. I have been drunk 5 times in my life.
Link Posted: 2/25/2006 3:51:26 PM EDT
[#4]
Funny, I dont consider myself a non-drinker but I havent had any alcohol for  few months now, not because of any life-changes, just because I want to cut out an extra source of calories. I'm down about 20 lbs, needds to drop the same amount again I guess.

Of course being Welsh my drinking habits on a night out would probably get me classed as an alcoholic by you guys ;)  6-8 pints and a fair few shots and some alcopops when there's no space for anything else.

The encouragement, I'm in the best shape I've been all my life I guess, lots more muscle, and I'm down a pants[1] size, that's got to be good, right?

And for the UK viewers:
"Does my bum look big in this beer?"

/PHil
[1] Trousers
Link Posted: 2/25/2006 4:37:37 PM EDT
[#5]
When I was in the Corps I drank heavily. Especially in my last year of my 2nd enlistment.

I got pretty bad with it. It was a big part of why I didn't make the USMC a career. I just couldn't shake the party crowd and I knew I had to break out of the rut I was in.

I got out and have been alcohol free for 15 years now.  What the hell was I thinking?
Link Posted: 2/25/2006 4:41:54 PM EDT
[#6]
No. I had a sip of wine or champagne once or twice on celebratory occasions in the past, and would sneak a sip of rum or brandy if I was cooking with it, but never more than that, and now never again.

You can see my other thread for details if you need them, but for now I'll just say everybody in my family is either an alcoholic or a reformed alcoholic. Everybody except me and my brother.
Link Posted: 2/25/2006 5:13:07 PM EDT
[#7]
Alcoholic's run in my family, I quit 9 years ago, it was hard but, well worth it. I was going down the wrong road and probably would have ended up with some serious health problems, or dead by now, if I had'nt quit. I like being sober, when I look back on all the drinking I did, and think about all the money I spent on beer during that time, I figure I could have bought and paid for at least 1 house,and had alot of money left over. A huge waste of time, and money. I regret that.
Link Posted: 2/25/2006 5:20:16 PM EDT
[#8]
Link Posted: 2/25/2006 5:23:46 PM EDT
[#9]
I happen to have 2 things coincide with one another that promted me to stop 16 months ago.
1.) CCW I felt safer with a .45 than with a COLT 45
2.) I decided to buy a house

3.) got drunk with a midget and then we went to a hote.......... umm nevermind

Just those 2
Link Posted: 2/25/2006 5:23:59 PM EDT
[#10]
Age 34. Never had it, never will. Alcoholism runs in my family and I will not risk it.
Link Posted: 2/25/2006 5:24:06 PM EDT
[#11]
From the time I was 5 until I left home at 18 there were very few days that one of my parents wasn't drunk. My dad started first and left when I was 8. My mother married another drunk, and after he was gone, she got really serious about drinking.

I don't like alcohol, and I don't like being around people that are drunk. I think it is a waste of money, and for many people, a complete waste of life.

I don't understand why so many people can't face the world without getting boozed up. I have faced it all from emotional and physical abuse, to war, and everything in between for 19 years sober.
Link Posted: 2/25/2006 5:29:07 PM EDT
[#12]
Never drank before, but I sometimes wish I had.  Maybe I would have had some fun.z
Link Posted: 2/25/2006 5:36:04 PM EDT
[#13]
Link Posted: 2/25/2006 5:38:52 PM EDT
[#14]
Me, not a single drink in two years now...
Never did anything bad, mostly just drank too much by myself...
Link Posted: 2/25/2006 5:40:13 PM EDT
[#15]
I'm almost 50 and never really got into drinking. When in college, it simply cost too much. Afterwards, there were always other things I would rather spend money on. Now that I'm older, I view those who drink to excess or take drugs as having weak character.
Link Posted: 2/25/2006 5:42:44 PM EDT
[#16]
im severly alergic to it 1/3 of a shot made me sick for 4 days the last time i tried to drink
Link Posted: 2/25/2006 5:44:16 PM EDT
[#17]
Never started.  I got to watch my (5 year) older brother go through his teenage years ahead of me.

I could never figure out why people wanted to get so fucked up they couldn't remember if they had a good time or not.

I worked hard for my self-control.  I didn't see then and don't see now a reason to give it all up for a few drinks.
Link Posted: 2/25/2006 6:01:20 PM EDT
[#18]
I do not anymore and find the feeling of drinking an of control experience, I did drink very heavy in my early years and 99% of everyone in my family is an alcoholic reformed or active.

In my childhood I witnessed the effects of alcohol ruin lives and the family to the point it awakened me to stop drinking and smell the life that was before me, not against responsible drinking at all.

I have a full bottle of Canadian Mist in the shop that has been setting for five+ years and never opened.
Link Posted: 2/25/2006 6:07:43 PM EDT
[#19]
I'm 18 and have had plenty of chances to drink, but I figure if I never actually experience how good it is, I won't be tempted to go overboard with it. No, I can't legally do it anyways, but that's just more reason not to.

I try to do this with most things people tell me are addictive.

But nobody ever told me lurking on ARFCOM would be addictive, so I indulge.
Link Posted: 2/25/2006 6:08:12 PM EDT
[#20]
Nothing for me since 6/96......

Don't miss it a bit!  
Link Posted: 2/25/2006 6:19:32 PM EDT
[#21]
I have not drank any alcohol in more than 19 years.
Link Posted: 2/25/2006 6:28:21 PM EDT
[#22]
I never get past a medium buzz. I was never fond of being drunk- more like having the flu in my expirence.
Link Posted: 2/25/2006 6:32:50 PM EDT
[#23]
doan need it.   its not all its cracked up to be.  never really got the party all night, drinking, go puking and get busted for DWI or PI and then wake up with a massive head ache from drinking and not sleeping.
Link Posted: 2/25/2006 7:06:08 PM EDT
[#24]
Been about a year since I quit. It wasn't taking me where I wanted to go. Life is much better now.
Link Posted: 2/25/2006 8:21:48 PM EDT
[#25]
Never started. (I have no idea why,  just didn't seem important to try.)  My wife came from a VERY bad family background, both mom and dad are violent drunks. We didn't even invite them to the wedding.   She won't even stay at a party if one beer even gets opened.

I have lots of dead friends because of booze.
Link Posted: 2/25/2006 8:29:34 PM EDT
[#26]
I will have a social drink, maybe one or two tops, maybe a couple of times through a year's time.  I have seen enough waste in alcohol through others, no need to join them.  I view a dependence on drinking, smoking, and such as character flaws and weakness.
Link Posted: 2/25/2006 8:30:29 PM EDT
[#27]
Very rarely with dinner but not very often 3 times per year not to stupidity. Otherwise none at all by my choice.
Link Posted: 2/25/2006 8:32:25 PM EDT
[#28]
none for me
Link Posted: 2/25/2006 8:42:54 PM EDT
[#29]

Quoted:
I will have a social drink, maybe one or two tops, maybe a couple of times through a year's time.  I have seen enough waste in alcohol through others, no need to join them.  I view a dependence on drinking, smoking, and such as character flaws and weakness.

must be nice to be perfect
Link Posted: 2/25/2006 8:44:58 PM EDT
[#30]
Very rarely.
Link Posted: 2/25/2006 8:48:50 PM EDT
[#31]
I quit  smoking cigarrettes in '93........quit hard drugs a year later.......never drank a whole lot, I just substituted.........finally got off the weed last year.......I feel great, have more money, fight with the wife less, do more with my kids, have more money for all of life's good things(cars, homes, vacations, ammo, etc).............I wish all the best for anyone who wants a change in their life, no matter what your addiction................I tried the 12Step program, and it didn't work for me.......I couldn't let go until I was ready to quit......as they say in the Program, "I was sick and tired of being sick and tired"......
Link Posted: 2/25/2006 8:55:45 PM EDT
[#32]
30 here and have never drank (even during my 8 years ith the military). Some of my family members were heavy drinkers and I guess all their stories helped me to see that there wasn't any real need in gtting drunk.  If I want to waste my money, I'll just buy some new gadget for one of my rifles
Link Posted: 2/25/2006 9:05:02 PM EDT
[#33]
Never
Link Posted: 2/25/2006 9:12:41 PM EDT
[#34]
College hell yes. Afterwards just some. More recently none.  Now I may rarely have a taste.  

Nothing against it for others to use in moderation.  But I despise the damage done by abuse.  It is a slippery downhill slope for too many.

I avoid it for my health and I am just not that interested.
Link Posted: 2/25/2006 9:22:24 PM EDT
[#35]
I am really taken by all the replies...nice to know I have a lot of company.
Im not a big fan of 12 step programs or anything, but if anyone ever gets a jones and needs a reality check, feel free to shoot me an IM. When I first quit the thing that helped the most was talking about why I did. It's weird, it wasnt like drinking was detroying my life or anything...certainly not to the degree I had seen it in other folks....still, it was tough for the first few months to contemplate not drinking permanently. Now it just seems like a common sense approach.
Link Posted: 2/25/2006 11:09:23 PM EDT
[#36]
Me.
Link Posted: 2/25/2006 11:20:37 PM EDT
[#37]
I'm too cheap to buy it anymore.  I don't see any purpose in it anyway, although once every few months I'll be in the mood for one drink.  Or if I'm sick with a cold or the flu, I use bourbon as a cure-all.  Once the leftover stocks are gone, I doubt I'll buy any more.
Link Posted: 2/25/2006 11:21:36 PM EDT
[#38]
I have never tried it.  (32 years old)
Link Posted: 2/26/2006 8:06:21 PM EDT
[#39]
I don't drink
Link Posted: 2/26/2006 8:08:22 PM EDT
[#40]
Hell, I just finished a beer.

I dont drink often though, drink maybe once every 3 months or so, like have a beer with some chicken wings or something.
Link Posted: 2/26/2006 8:13:18 PM EDT
[#41]
I average about 2-3 beers a month, if that.

and i never have bought or payed for any of it.
Link Posted: 2/26/2006 8:22:44 PM EDT
[#42]
Ive only bought two or three beers in a bar my whole life

during the summer I sometimes drink one beer in the evening with some pizza [maybe 6 beers a year total] for the year.
Link Posted: 2/26/2006 8:23:18 PM EDT
[#43]
I don't drink at all. Partly for religious reasons, partly because I don't want my kids to think it's OK, and partly because I have a bad case of acid reflux and it would drive that crazy.

GR
Link Posted: 2/26/2006 8:30:41 PM EDT
[#44]
19 in college, not a drop except for communion 2 or 3 times. Never will drink, mostly for religious reasons. Plus I dont really see the point of making a fool of myself, impairing my judgement and doing things I know ill regret.

Link Posted: 2/26/2006 8:32:33 PM EDT
[#45]
I rarley drink, maybe a 1/2 glass of wine when we are at the in-laws and they have wine.  Other than that I'll add 1/2 oz of something to my hot chocolate once and awhile.  I find some alcohols help clear up my sinus allergies.  So a 1/2 oz of something in hot chocolte just before I go to bed helps clear my head for the night.
Link Posted: 2/26/2006 8:37:13 PM EDT
[#46]
Never had more than a bottle of alcohol my entire life, so never been even buzzed. Never done any drugs and... never had a cigarette to my lips.
Link Posted: 2/26/2006 8:38:31 PM EDT
[#47]

Quoted:
You'll start seeing people from Utah responding very shortly.

I was raised to believe that alcohol was "evil" (although our scriptures are pretty vague about it).  I've never been one to listen to what I'm told so I brew my own beer and enjoy it regularly.
Link Posted: 2/26/2006 8:39:41 PM EDT
[#48]

Quoted:
I used to be a binge drinker, which invariably led to other forms of mind-numbing ingestibles.

I would go 2-3 weeks without a drink, then seemingly make up for lost time in one night.  It would often go like this:  2-3 beers at a bar, maybe some dinner, flirting with the ladies, couple martinis, couple more martinis, phone calls to "friends" in order to part with outrageous sums of cash and watch the sun rise (peeking out of windows).

I just decided that I had enough, so this practice ended for me in 1999.  Since then, I have been completely clean of every form of intoxicant with only one exception in 6.5+ years (I got excessively drunk while on business trip last year - Coyote Ugly!)

Thanks for Sharing
Link Posted: 2/26/2006 8:43:41 PM EDT
[#49]
I don't - sXe
Link Posted: 2/26/2006 8:59:32 PM EDT
[#50]
I can't stand the taste of anything alcoholic. I think it all tastes like cr*p.
Page / 4
Top Top