Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Site Notices
Page / 3
Link Posted: 3/11/2006 10:54:28 PM EDT
[#1]
Reading the posts of several people on ARFCOM, I'd say a definite YES.
Link Posted: 3/11/2006 10:59:29 PM EDT
[#2]

Quoted:
Details will be needed to judge this story.

I would like to know if possession is true. It seems a little farfetched to me.

If you have firsthand indisputable evidence....why not share it?

I didn't start this thread, and I didn't come here to troll or turn it into a religious thread - all I did is answer a question and offer a personal observation.  Whether you choose to believe me or not is entirely up to you.  I can't give indisputable evidence of anything.  I know what I saw, I know what I heard.  On one occasion I was spoken to and addressed by name in English.

Link Posted: 3/11/2006 11:10:01 PM EDT
[#3]
No.  Not at all.
Link Posted: 3/11/2006 11:21:41 PM EDT
[#4]

The Bible speaks of demon possession, so yes I believe it has occurred.
Whether or not it is still occuring, who can say for sure?

Link Posted: 3/11/2006 11:36:19 PM EDT
[#5]

Quoted:
The Bible speaks of demon possession, so yes I believe it has occurred.
Whether or not it is still occuring, who can say for sure?

+1

There is a fairly popular book that I forget the name of that is supposedly an extremely good case for the existence of demonic posession. Basically it is the autobiography of two exorcists or exorcism reporters or something, and they have case-by-case detailings of every otherwise unexplicable exorcism they encountered. They often times include real copies of actual police reports, etc. to verify their claims. I've never read it, but supposedly the vast majority of people who do end up believing in demonic posession after they read it, regardless of how they felt before.

My pastor has also privately described one demonic encounter he had once. Not an exorcism per se, but some wierdly-dressed total stranger on the street once turned his head 360 degrees and said this pastor's name in a wierd voice. I have never doubted anything this man has said in the slightest, including this account. The most honest and truthful guy you could ever hope to meet. You could tell by the way he recalled the incident that it had kinda disturbed him to some level.

All that said, I admit there are probably psychological causes for many/most of the modern "posession" cases, but I still believe they have occured in the past and might occur on a limited basis in the present.
Link Posted: 3/12/2006 6:16:12 AM EDT
[#6]
BTT for day crew.

-Ben
Link Posted: 3/12/2006 6:22:16 AM EDT
[#7]
Hell no.

Link Posted: 3/12/2006 6:26:27 AM EDT
[#8]
Link Posted: 3/12/2006 6:27:56 AM EDT
[#9]

Quoted:
Not possible.

Insanity yes, evil spirits living in the earth taking over humans no ...

It's possible, I just don't think it's probable.
Link Posted: 3/12/2006 6:32:26 AM EDT
[#10]

Quoted:
I was an eyewitness to a certain set of behaviours in an individual once. The unnatural voice can be rationalized away. The crowd in the background also I heard  coming of of the guys mouth can't.

OK, that would be creepy.

Link Posted: 3/12/2006 7:10:56 AM EDT
[#11]
I saw the psychic Sylvia Browne (although some say she's a quack - I have no idea if she is or not, I just happened to change channels at that moment) on TV recently answering a lady's question about demons and she said that there is no such thing as demons, just what they[psychics] call 'dark souls' and also there are places where there is a lot of evil energy, where bad things have happened and keep happening.

I'm not sure what I believe. I'd like to say no, but you only have to listen to the news and hear of some of the things people are capable of to know that evil walks the earth in human form.

The trailer for 'The Exorcism of Emily Rose' creeped me out enough, I could no way watch the movie, or The Exorcist.
Link Posted: 3/12/2006 7:12:06 AM EDT
[#12]
I really like you guys, and I believe that most of you are good Americans, but somtimes I get a little worried about the mental stability of this group when the conversation comes to religion.  It is so hard to tell what is a joke or satire from just the written word when you read frome so many different people.
Link Posted: 3/12/2006 7:17:38 AM EDT
[#13]
Sure, I believe it.
If you believe in Angels, then you have to believe in Demons.
Might as well go with Djinn too.
Link Posted: 3/12/2006 7:43:43 AM EDT
[#14]

Quoted:
i dont believe in god, angels, demons, santa claus, the easter bunny or any of that other stuff, so the answer is a definite NO!

I hear this kind of stuff all the time.  My answer to you is "Wait until you're in an airplane that's about to crash to see just how religious you are".  Or any other situation where death is imminent.  I've seen devout agnostics get religion in the space of 3 hearbeats when they really believe their pointless existence is about to end.
Link Posted: 3/12/2006 7:48:59 AM EDT
[#15]

Quoted:

Quoted:
i dont believe in god, angels, demons, santa claus, the easter bunny or any of that other stuff, so the answer is a definite NO!

I hear this kind of stuff all the time.  My answer to you is "Wait until you're in an airplane that's about to crash to see just how religious you are".  Or any other situation where death is imminent.  I've seen devout agnostics get religion in the space of 3 hearbeats when they really believe their pointless existence is about to end.

That doesn't say anything about the actual truth of the beliefs though.  That is an emotional response to extreme stress.
Link Posted: 3/12/2006 8:22:57 AM EDT
[#16]
I used to know a hispanic girl who was a demon. Evil incarnate.
Link Posted: 3/12/2006 9:53:52 AM EDT
[#17]
I know for a fact that there are people who do vile, evil things to their fellow men and women; but to say they are truly demonically possed, I would have to say simply I don't know.

I often find myself disbelieving in God, Angels or demons. But there is something out there that just doesn't let  me go all the way and totally discount their existance, sometimes it can be as simple and splendid as a desert sunrise that will affirm the exitance of God, not only because of its beauty, but because of the peace it often gives me with the promis of a brand new day that tells me it may all still be alright......

I guess this is a question that will have to wait to be answered until the game of life is over.........
Link Posted: 3/12/2006 10:01:36 AM EDT
[#18]
I recently read of a study of hospital patients undergoing surgical procedures who were split into two groups; one which (unknowingly) recieved prayer and one which didn't. The group which had recieved prayer had faster recoveries and less complications following their procedures than the group which hadn't recieved prayer.

I guess some things can't be explained.

Link Posted: 3/12/2006 10:41:26 AM EDT
[#19]

Quoted:
I recently read of a study of hospital patients undergoing surgical procedures who were split into two groups; one which (unknowingly) recieved prayer and one which didn't. The group which had recieved prayer had faster recoveries and less complications following their procedures than the group which hadn't recieved prayer.

I guess some things can't be explained.

Can you direct us to where we can find this study?

-Ben
Link Posted: 3/12/2006 10:53:55 AM EDT
[#20]
Sure, it wasn't online though, it was in a book. I was researching something at the library and stumbled across it. I'll see what I can dig up.
Link Posted: 3/12/2006 11:04:35 AM EDT
[#21]

Quoted:
I saw the psychic Sylvia Browne (although some say she's a quack - I have no idea if she is or not, <Snip>

Not to pick on Ginger here, but, that would be the same clownish Sylvia Browne who used her super spiffy "psychic powers" to make a fool out of herself recently during the first West Virginia mining tragedy?  The one who, when the erroneous announcement that the miners had been found alive was made, proclaimed that she already knew they all alive because of her (you guessed it) SUPER SPIFFY "PSYCHIC POWERS".  I have yet to hear what her excuse is for why her  "powers" lied to her.

Though not specifically related to "demonic possession", it is interesting to note that James Randi has offered anyone, with absolute impunity, ANYONE, who can pass a specific battery of tests to prove their "psychic" ability $1 million.  No one has won the money and it doesn't appear likely anyone ever will.  You'd think any, er, "normal" psychic with genuine "powers" would just waltz right in there and win the money, right?

Not one "psychic" predicted 09-11-01, and don't feed me any gibberish from Nostrodamus or whoever: "And verily the great Ogilve bejaked the skarm in bloodstained griblets upon the meandering, loquacious snow while the three-headed one groiled in hirsute contempt o'er the carnivorous verisimilitude!"  

Yeah buddy.  

Not one "psychic" has ever predicted correct lottery numbers.

Unfortunately, all too many people approach life with the attitude, "If I can't explain something within ten seconds it is, de facto, SUPERNATURAL!"  I guess if these people run across a particularly thorny algebra problem or calculus equation that they can't figure out then, logically, the equation is obviously "possessed by the devil".

Fortunately there are a certain percentage of people who don't abide by that philosophy and maintain a fierce and unquenchable curiosity about how things work.  Otherwise we'd still be squatting naked in caves watching bears eat our kids and wondering who to sacrifice to the "moon god" to make  the bears go away.

Sylvia Clowne

Link Posted: 3/12/2006 11:04:36 AM EDT
[#22]
I voted no, but the devil made me do it.
Link Posted: 3/12/2006 11:12:05 AM EDT
[#23]
I certainly do.
Link Posted: 3/12/2006 11:12:45 AM EDT
[#24]

Quoted:

So just to clarify...
Having blind faith in a rational being that created everything for a purpose is silly.
Having blind faith in a random series of events that put random things together to create a rational world is not silly?

Your statement shows that you completely fail to understand either the scientific methods or the fields of astronomy, chemistry, physics and biology.  

Originally posted by Ginger

Sorry gotta call BS please provide a citation.

Originaly posted by 3rdpig

I hear this kind of stuff all the time. My answer to you is "Wait until you're in an airplane that's about to crash to see just how religious you are". Or any other situation where death is imminent. I've seen devout agnostics get religion in the space of 3 hearbeats when they really believe their pointless existence is about to end.

Accepting what you say...this provides evidence for exactly what?  I would suggest that it provides evidence against a supream being because people unders stress frequently desire intervention from a higher power, or fear the end of their conciousness.  This is probably how the vrrious mythologies were created in the first place.
Link Posted: 3/12/2006 11:20:48 AM EDT
[#25]
LOL Yeah, I think Sylvia's spirit guide was having an off day that day.

Anyway ... Not the study I read of, but along those lines.

http://www.aafp.org/afp/20000201/tips/13.html

Small disclaimer; this doesn't necessarily reflect my own beliefs, I just found it interesting.
Link Posted: 3/12/2006 11:30:56 AM EDT
[#26]

Quoted:

Quoted:
I saw the psychic Sylvia Browne (although some say she's a quack - I have no idea if she is or not, <Snip>

Not to pick on Ginger here...

Not at all, I don't consider that you are.

I don't really care enough to have an opinion either way on the whole psychic issue. I DID do a quick Google and - get this - it costs $700 for a 20-30 minute phone reading with her. LMFAO.

I have seen her on the Montel show (purely by accident) and to be honest, a lot of it seems like guesswork to me...

Then the commercial came on and I flipped channels.
Link Posted: 3/12/2006 11:32:19 AM EDT
[#27]
Apparently I may be possessed because, at least, I can spell demonic.
Link Posted: 3/12/2006 11:36:33 AM EDT
[#28]
Of course I do.

Mark 5:6  But when he saw Jesus afar off, he ran and worshipped him,

7  And cried with a loud voice, and said, What have I to do with thee, Jesus, thou Son of the most high God? I adjure thee by God, that thou torment me not.

8  For he said unto him, Come out of the man, thou unclean spirit.

9  And he asked him, What is thy name? And he answered, saying, My name is Legion: for we are many.

Link Posted: 3/12/2006 11:39:36 AM EDT
[#29]
I never used to believe in Demonic Possesion.
Then I got married.
Link Posted: 3/12/2006 12:52:48 PM EDT
[#30]
Book of Mark:

29 Now as soon as they had come out of the synagogue, they entered the house of Simon and Andrew, with James and John. 30 But Simon's wife's mother lay sick with a fever, and they told Him about her at once. 31 So He came and took her by the hand and lifted her up, and immediately the fever left her. And she served them. 32 At evening, when the sun had set, they brought to Him all who were sick and those who were demon-possessed. 33 And the whole city was gathered together at the door. 34 Then He healed many who were sick with various diseases, and cast out many demons; and He did not allow the demons to speak, because they knew Him.

Cryin shame when demons know the true power of God through his son Jesus, but people still doubt and mock him to this day.  I am a child of God (Christian) and belive me as a child of God I know that My Daddy is the Biggest, Baddest, Dude there is.

You guys can meet him if you want.....
Romans 10:9  That if thou shalt confess with thy mouth the Lord Jesus and shalt belive in thine heart that God hath raised him from the dead, thou shalt be saved.
10:13  For whosoever shall call upon the name of the Lord shall be saved.
Link Posted: 3/12/2006 12:54:47 PM EDT
[#31]
The only spirits I believe that can possess someone are named Tequila, Vodka and Schnapps.

I am DEAD serious.

Link Posted: 3/12/2006 12:55:57 PM EDT
[#32]
Just finished watching The Exorcism of Emily Rose  Good flick but still doubt that stuff like that is real.
Link Posted: 3/12/2006 12:59:27 PM EDT
[#33]
No Demons, but mans insaine ways..............Yes.  Mans mind is very powerful to make mountains out of spirit water, all is posible in the realm of beliefs.  
Link Posted: 3/12/2006 1:04:41 PM EDT
[#34]
HumBug............bunch of religious, cultist believers, wishing to impose there ways................Ave Enki!!!  
Link Posted: 3/12/2006 1:08:57 PM EDT
[#35]
No doubt about it, the bible thumpers come out of there wood works to verify there belief and ways.  Ave Enki..
Link Posted: 3/12/2006 1:10:05 PM EDT
[#36]
YES
Link Posted: 3/12/2006 1:14:17 PM EDT
[#37]

Quoted:
HumBug............bunch of religious, cultist believers, wishing to impose there ways................Ave Enki!!!  

Quoted:
No doubt about it, the bible thumpers come out of there wood works to verify there belief and ways.  Ave Enki..

You can voice your opinion that's cool, but anyone with an opinion other than yours is less of an opinion?

2 words Piney:  Double Standards
Link Posted: 3/12/2006 1:20:39 PM EDT
[#38]

Quoted:

Quoted:

Quoted:

You can voice your opinion that's cool, but anyone with an opinion other than yours is less of an opinion?

Don't worry about it, CK.

Everyone that is an atheist, is "enlightened" and "open minded", and "wise".

Those of us that know Jesus are "closed minded" and "thumpers", and "backwards".

You'll get used to it.
Link Posted: 3/12/2006 1:23:30 PM EDT
[#39]

Quoted:
Cryin shame when demons know the true power of God through his son Jesus, but people still doubt and mock him to this day.  

If I believed everything that was written it might be a different story.

Link Posted: 3/12/2006 1:26:04 PM EDT
[#40]
No its not less of a opinion, just a view...................Thats all..............Ave Enki
Link Posted: 3/12/2006 1:26:42 PM EDT
[#41]
No its not less of a opinion, just a view...................Thats all..............Ave Enki
Link Posted: 3/12/2006 1:28:12 PM EDT
[#42]

Quoted:

Those of us that know Jesus are "closed minded" and "thumpers", and "backwards".

<*WHEW!*> I was afraid it was just me.
Link Posted: 3/12/2006 1:32:07 PM EDT
[#43]

Quoted:

Quoted:

Quoted:

Quoted:

You'll get used to it.

I don't believe the borders are that well defined.  

I have met plenty of atheists that are stupid as hell.

I've met tons of religious types that are stupid as hell.  

I've also met some very smart religious people.  There are different kinds of intelligence out there.  One does not have to even CARE why or how the universe came into existance.  One can totally ignore most science, but still have a lot of wisdom and knowledge about the way things work.  

I'm an atheist, and I don't claim to know everything, or even much at all (but the Scientific explanation makes to most sense to me).   I am reasonably intelligent though (at least I think so)  

I respect other's beliefs, as long as they don't tell me that I am going to hell, or that they will "pray for me".  I also don't like it when religious people try and mess with science, saying "it can't be right, because the bible says  this".   Religion and science are two different things and should stay that way.  To me, those that attempt to attack scientific explanations without evidence are the ones that are "backward" and "close-minded".  

It is true that some people are just not able to accept or understand scientific explanations at all, but there are VERY few people like this.  

Link Posted: 3/12/2006 1:37:55 PM EDT
[#44]
If you ever saw the movie The Exercisem of Emily Rose (based on a true story) it will scare the shit out of you!!
Link Posted: 3/12/2006 3:24:43 PM EDT
[#45]

Quoted:
I respect other's beliefs, as long as they don't tell me that I am going to hell, or that they will "pray for me".

Put more candidly, you don't respect others' beliefs unless they conform to your standards. That means you only respect others' beliefs if they do conform to your standards. That means you only respect your own beliefs. How grand of you.

Link Posted: 3/12/2006 4:55:00 PM EDT
[#46]

Quoted:
LOL Yeah, I think Sylvia's spirit guide was having an off day that day.

Anyway ... Not the study I read of, but along those lines.

http://www.aafp.org/afp/20000201/tips/13.html

Small disclaimer; this doesn't necessarily reflect my own beliefs, I just found it interesting.

The authors state that this study is not statistically significant (1 in 25 chance of occuring randomly where as most scietific research requires a 1 in 95 at alpha =.05) also the results only occured in one of three measured variables.

You mught want to try this...

www.ncbi.nlm.nih.gov/entrez/query.fcgi?cmd=Retrieve&db=PubMed&list_uids=10796350&dopt=Citation
www.nwhealth.edu/nhc/pdf/prayerca.pdf
www.springerlink.com/(tojw3k312akfnr45qimepm55)/app/home/contribution.asp?referrer=parent&backto=issue,10,11;journal,111,167;linkingpublicationresults,1:104938,1

Thia guy is funny.  He is with the "institute for transpersonal psycology" and clearly wants to suggest that prayer will help and quotes several studies, not one of which are statistically significant.

www.integral-inquiry.com/docs/649/empirical.pdf
Link Posted: 3/12/2006 6:30:41 PM EDT
[#47]

Quoted:

Quoted:
I respect other's beliefs, as long as they don't tell me that I am going to hell, or that they will "pray for me".

Put more candidly, you don't respect others' beliefs unless they conform to your standards. That means you only respect others' beliefs if they do conform to your standards. That means you only respect your own beliefs. How grand of you.

What the hell are you talking about?

You are very right about me only respecting other's beliefs if they conform to my standards.  There are limits to what a person can tolerate.  However, my standards are very reasonable.  I just don't like people threatening me with the wrath of God because I don't believe in the flying spaghetti monster.  

If someone believes that grabbing a man's package will grant him passage to heaven, I will respect them as long as they don't grab my package.  

I love how you are preaching complete tolerance, sounds familiar.  

I'm sure you would love it if a religion based on eating babies came along and tried to eat your children.    Would you respect that?  Would you allow them to eat your babies?
Link Posted: 3/12/2006 6:45:58 PM EDT
[#48]

Quoted:
I only believe in Raj and one day he will surely destroy this world...

FSM is SOOOO gonna smite you for that.

Repent and give me your MP5 and maybe he will spare you.
Link Posted: 3/12/2006 6:51:46 PM EDT
[#49]

Quoted:
Of course I do.

Mark 5:6  But when he saw Jesus afar off, he ran and worshipped him,

7  And cried with a loud voice, and said, What have I to do with thee, Jesus, thou Son of the most high God? I adjure thee by God, that thou torment me not.

8  For he said unto him, Come out of the man, thou unclean spirit.

9  And he asked him, What is thy name? And he answered, saying, My name is Legion: for we are many.

...and they went into a bunch of pigs and jumped off a cliff.

O_P, there's a bunch of us that'll have a very nice time when there's no more pain or sorrow, because the old things have passed away!

HH
Link Posted: 3/12/2006 6:53:07 PM EDT
[#50]

Quoted:

Quoted:

Quoted:

Quoted:

Quoted:

You'll get used to it.

I don't believe the borders are that well defined.  

I have met plenty of atheists that are stupid as hell.

I've met tons of religious types that are stupid as hell.  

I've also met some very smart religious people.  There are different kinds of intelligence out there.  One does not have to even CARE why or how the universe came into existance.  One can totally ignore most science, but still have a lot of wisdom and knowledge about the way things work.  

I'm an atheist, and I don't claim to know everything, or even much at all (but the Scientific explanation makes to most sense to me).   I am reasonably intelligent though (at least I think so)  

I respect other's beliefs, as long as they don't tell me that I am going to hell, or that they will "pray for me".  I also don't like it when religious people try and mess with science, saying "it can't be right, because the bible says  this".   Religion and science are two different things and should stay that way.  To me, those that attempt to attack scientific explanations without evidence are the ones that are "backward" and "close-minded".  

It is true that some people are just not able to accept or understand scientific explanations at all, but there are VERY few people like this.  

It has nothing to do with any of those things...the issue is: "What think ye of Christ?"

Very simple, really.

HH
Page / 3
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top