Link Posted: 5/27/2016 12:04:31 PM EDT
[#1]
Jiffy Pop popcorn
Baked Beans & Hot dogs
Canned soup
Link Posted: 5/27/2016 12:05:58 PM EDT
[#2]
TV Time popcorn.

It has its own oil right in the pack with it.

There was also a desert called Whip&Chill.    
Link Posted: 5/27/2016 12:07:43 PM EDT
[#3]
Discussion ForumsJump to Quoted PostQuote History
Quoted:
TV Dinners in foil.

http://www.todayifoundout.com/wp-content/uploads/2013/08/tv-dinner.jpg

Put that shit on a folding tray, turn on some Hee Haw, strew some Six Million Dollar Man toys on the floor and you have my childhood
View Quote

You and I are the same age.
Link Posted: 5/27/2016 12:08:55 PM EDT
[#4]
Quoted:
When I was a young child there was a Chicken Delight that would deliver.

There was a Poor Boy sandwich shop.

There was also an early Jack In The Box in my neighborhood, with a drive-through window.  It was the second one ever built.
View Quote

We did have a KFC, White Castle, Steak and Shake and pizza parlor within reasonable (for the time) walking distance that my folks would send me to for takeout from time to time. A few years later we got an early Jack in the Box too.
Link Posted: 5/27/2016 12:09:22 PM EDT
[#5]
Quoted:
TV Dinners in foil.

Put that shit on a folding tray, turn on some Hee Haw, strew some Six Million Dollar Man toys on the floor and you have my childhood
View Quote

FPNI

Microwaves have been around for a long time, but before they became popular, TV dinners were probably "the thing".

Link Posted: 5/27/2016 12:10:03 PM EDT
[#6]
Quoted:
The "hotdogger"........
Basically a device for heating hot dogs through electrocution!!
Anyone remember those?
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=aUAkezGstlQ
View Quote

Link Posted: 5/27/2016 12:11:15 PM EDT
[#7]
Quoted:

We did have a KFC, White Castle, Steak and Shake and pizza parlor within reasonable (for the time) walking distance that my folks would send me to for takeout from time to time. A few years later we got an early Jack in the Box too.
View Quote View All Quotes
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

There was also an early Jack In The Box in my neighborhood, with a drive-through window.  It was the second one ever built.

I remember when White Castles were 6 cents each.
Link Posted: 5/27/2016 12:12:13 PM EDT
[#8]
Quoted:
Cold cuts and a loaf of bread.
View Quote

I miss the old days where you had a ton of country general stores - what are now called convenience stores. You could go in and order a lunch meat or ham sandwich, with whatever bread they had, and whatever condiments there were. I guess they are called Subway's now, but they sure don't taste the same.
Link Posted: 5/27/2016 12:12:48 PM EDT
[#9]
Quoted:

This.  We'd have them all the time when one or the other of my parents had to work nights.
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
TV Dinners in foil.

This.  We'd have them all the time when one or the other of my parents had to work nights.

I used to love these things.  I haven't had one in YEARS.
The chicken used to be nice and crispy and pretty large.  No so much anymore.
Link Posted: 5/27/2016 12:13:21 PM EDT
[#10]
Microwaves have been around awhile now. I remember a salesman leaving one at our house back in the 60's
when I was about 7 or 8 and I promptly blew up an egg in the shell to hard boil one.

Link Posted: 5/27/2016 12:15:22 PM EDT
[#11]
Quoted:

I miss the old days where you had a ton of country general stores - what are now called convenience stores. You could go in and order a lunch meat or ham sandwich, with whatever bread they had, and whatever condiments there were. I guess they are called Subway's now, but they sure don't taste the same.
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
Cold cuts and a loaf of bread.

When I worked way out in the country years ago on a project there was this hold over general store where we ate lunch. The building had to be built around the turn of the century.

Country ham with tomato and mayo on hand sliced thick white bread for like $3. So. Damn. Good.

Homemade Navy Bean soup out of a crock pot.
Link Posted: 5/27/2016 12:16:30 PM EDT
[#12]
Quoted:

We had all the same stuff, but I bet I lose you here......Stretch Monster.
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:
TV Dinners in foil.

Oh yes, this. All of this.

Remember the skin on his arm that you could roll up to see his bionics? And there was a tiny window in the back of his head that you could look through to see the world through his eye. I felt stronger after looking through.

Yep. And you could pull the "modules" from his arms. Had the capsules and a ton of big GI Joe stuff, too. Joe had a cool orange helicopter.

I'd line all that shit up and crank ol' Evel up and let him jump it.

Of course, Evel always had a wire broken in one of his arms, so his dumb ass would be waving at the crowd in mid air.

Nope...had Stretch Armstrong and the Stretch Monster.
Link Posted: 5/27/2016 12:18:59 PM EDT
[#13]

Quoted:

Microwaves have been around awhile now. I remember a salesman leaving one at our house back in the 60'swhen I was about 7 or 8 and I promptly blew up an egg in the shell to hard boil one.

https://www.yahoo.com/news/blogs/spaces/oct-25-first-microwave-ovens-were-sold-day-155936710.html?ref=gs

View Quote
Or blowing up marshmallows to three times their size.

Link Posted: 5/27/2016 12:19:15 PM EDT
[#14]
Quoted:
My parents got a microwave as a wedding present in 1978 (they were very expensive back then). Microwave cooking was kind of a fad back then, right up there with fondue pots.

These days, we just use them to re-heat leftovers or whatever sad sack "dinner" we purchased in the frozen foods section. But for a while there, people actually cooked entire meals in the things. From raw ingredients. My parents had a full color glossy microwave cookbook, full of recipes for this new futuristic way of cooking. Their microwave had a built in temperature probe and everything.

It's one of the saddest things I've ever seen, in retrospect.
View Quote

My parents were married in '78 as well and, just like yours, got a microwave as a wedding present.   I remember them fondly talking about fondue as well, LOL.

Posted Via AR15.Com Mobile
Link Posted: 5/27/2016 12:21:22 PM EDT
[#15]
Quoted:

View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

That reminds me. Whatever happened to the red cups at Pizza Hut, that were filled with crushed ice?

It's one of those early childhood memories that sticks with me, for some reason. In the old-school standalone building, too. Thick with cigarette smoke and the faint sounds of pinball machines in the corner.
Link Posted: 5/27/2016 12:24:34 PM EDT
[#16]

Quoted:

That reminds me. Whatever happened to the red cups at Pizza Hut, that were filled with crushed ice?

It's one of those early childhood memories that sticks with me, for some reason. In the old-school standalone building, too. Thick with cigarette smoke and the faint sounds of pinball machines in the corner.
View All Quotes
Quoted:

Quoted:

Quoted:

Yeah, it was more of a sit-down pizza place with beer for your parents, kind of like shakeys.  Red plastic cups and red and white vinyl table cloths.

Link Posted: 5/27/2016 12:25:41 PM EDT
[#17]
Quoted:
Yeah, it was more of a sit-down pizza place with beer for your parents, kind of like shakeys.  Red plastic cups and red and white vinyl table cloths.  
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:

And a sitdown pac-man machine.
Link Posted: 5/27/2016 12:27:13 PM EDT
[#18]
Wasn't Pizza Hut the one with stuff to color for kids on the back of the menu?
Link Posted: 5/27/2016 12:29:53 PM EDT
[#19]
I can remember eating White Castle and McDonald's before we got our first microwave. It was massive and woodgrained lol.

Link Posted: 5/27/2016 12:33:12 PM EDT
[#20]
Quoted:
View Quote

No, you're thinking of every restaurant, ever.
Link Posted: 5/27/2016 12:35:34 PM EDT
[#21]
We didn't get a microwave till 85 and only because we won it in a church raffle. It was made by Litton, which I believe also made radars for the military.

Hot dogs, eggs, pop corn, we were in high cotton.

Before that, nothing was worse than being 9 years old and waiting for your frozen pot pie to come out of the oven, only to have it burned on the outside and still cold inside.

When I was 6 I burned the shit out of my self accidentally sticking my arm on an electric burner while making dinner inquiries with my mother. Damn I was hungry.

When I left home to go to college, I was so sick of eating baked chicken thighs. I still won't buy them.
Link Posted: 5/27/2016 12:38:05 PM EDT
[#22]
Quoted:

View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:
TV Dinners in foil.

Remember the skin on his arm that you could roll up to see his bionics? And there was a tiny window in the back of his head that you could look through to see the world through his eye. I felt stronger after looking through.

Yep. And you could pull the "modules" from his arms. Had the capsules and a ton of big GI Joe stuff, too. Joe had a cool orange helicopter.

Of course, Evel always had a wire broken in one of his arms, so his dumb ass would be waving at the crowd in mid air.

SPOILED BRAT!!!    
Link Posted: 5/27/2016 12:38:08 PM EDT
[#23]
Quoted:
TV Dinners in foil.

View Quote

lol sounds just like when I stayed at my grandma's house for the weekend's

Only with transformer toys
Link Posted: 5/27/2016 12:38:51 PM EDT
[#24]
Quoted:
My parents got a microwave as a wedding present in 1978 (they were very expensive back then). Microwave cooking was kind of a fad back then, right up there with fondue pots.

These days, we just use them to re-heat leftovers or whatever sad sack "dinner" we purchased in the frozen foods section. But for a while there, people actually cooked entire meals in the things. From raw ingredients. My parents had a full color glossy microwave cookbook, full of recipes for this new futuristic way of cooking. Their microwave had a built in temperature probe and everything.

View Quote

Triggered me on the fondue pots, mom was in love with the things.  How any of us made it thru childhood without massive burn scars i'll never know.
Link Posted: 5/27/2016 12:40:20 PM EDT
[#25]
Quoted:

View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

lol...yep. I think everyone from Virginia Diner to Red Lobster had coloring "place mats" for us.
Link Posted: 5/27/2016 12:42:11 PM EDT
[#26]
Quoted:

SPOILED BRAT!!!    
View Quote

At 9 year old, I had two gigs:

-Aluminum can gathering
-Saturday mornings, I got 20 bucks to clean the football stadium of all trash from the night before

That was big money in 1978.
Link Posted: 5/27/2016 12:43:49 PM EDT
[#27]
Quoted:

Triggered me on the fondue pots, mom was in love with the things.  How any of us made it thru childhood without massive burn scars i'll never know.
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

My parents busted theirs out a few times in the 80's, when I was a kid. The pot was a lovely earth toned puke brown color.

I actually liked it quite a bit. They only broke it out a handful of times. If I remember it right, we dipped toasted pieces of French bread into a fancy melted cheese base, doctored up with whatever, on the end of long bamboo-handled fondue forks.

And yes, I can still clearly remember the burns on the roof of my mouth.

I've actually been nostalgic enough lately, that I've thought of doing it for dinner one night.
Link Posted: 5/27/2016 12:49:12 PM EDT
[#28]
Quoted:
I had the green stretch monster.  It actually got a bit more pliable if you put it in grandma and grandpas microwave for about 45 seconds.  Tried dozens of times to put it under the tire of dads car, he was wise to it.  
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:
TV Dinners in foil.

I had the green stretch monster.  It actually got a bit more pliable if you put it in grandma and grandpas microwave for about 45 seconds.  Tried dozens of times to put it under the tire of dads car, he was wise to it.  

Yeah, we were hard on that poor bastard. Tied him to a branch and left him in the tree for a couple weeks - every morning I'd get outta bed and look out the window to see if he was still there, shot him many times with a BB gun (gun was too weak to puncture), had my brother run over him a bunch in his van (did absolutely nothing to him), but freezing him was the end of the line. Took him out of the freezer in the morning and of course had to try to bend him, which cracked his leg. Tried to cauterize the wound with matches, but my friend got some hot monster blood on his hands and wailed so loud that my mom came running and made us quit. Dad gave us permission to put him in a shoebox, dig a hole and bury him under the clothesline in the back yard, where he still rests peacefully.    
Link Posted: 5/27/2016 12:52:08 PM EDT
[#29]

Quoted:

TV Dinners in foil.

View Quote

FPNI

Link Posted: 5/27/2016 12:52:09 PM EDT
[#30]
Quoted:

-Aluminum can gathering
-Saturday mornings, I got 20 bucks to clean the football stadium of all trash from the night before

View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

SPOILED BRAT!!!    

-Aluminum can gathering

Holy balls, $20 was major coinage back then. For $10 you could waltz into Montgomery Ward and buy pretty much any toy you wanted.
Link Posted: 5/27/2016 12:55:05 PM EDT
[#31]
Hot dogs, Macaroni and Cheese from a box mix, Spaghetti Os...
Link Posted: 5/27/2016 12:56:30 PM EDT
[#32]

Quoted:

My parents busted theirs out a few times in the 80's, when I was a kid. The pot was a lovely earth toned puke brown color.

I actually liked it quite a bit. They only broke it out a handful of times. If I remember it right, we dipped toasted pieces of French bread into a fancy melted cheese base, doctored up with whatever, on the end of long bamboo-handled fondue forks.

I've actually been nostalgic enough lately, that I've thought of doing it for dinner one night.
View All Quotes
Quoted:

Quoted:

Quoted:

We have two fondue pots.  One is electric and one uses sterno.  We may have gotten rid of the sterno one, because it sucked.  We also have a small crock pot that works great for melting chocolate for dessert fondues.

We haven't done it in a while, but we've done fondue parties with our friends at least a dozen times since we got married.  It's kinda fun.

Link Posted: 5/27/2016 12:56:57 PM EDT
[#33]
Quoted:

Holy balls, $20 was major coinage back then. For $10 you could waltz into Montgomery Ward and buy pretty much any toy you wanted.
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:

SPOILED BRAT!!!    

-Aluminum can gathering

True, but it represented picking up a whole lot of frito pie wrappers and spitcups.

Nasty shit.
Link Posted: 5/27/2016 1:04:27 PM EDT
[#34]
Baked fish sticks, Mac n cheese, Totinos pizzas & baked burritos with lots of butter.  Oh and the foil TV dinners.
Link Posted: 5/27/2016 1:06:39 PM EDT
[#35]
Quoted:
80s. I never saw or heard of one until the late 70s, and they were expensive then.
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
Wow, we have a lot of old farts here!!!   (considering that microwaves became common in the 1960s)
80s. I never saw or heard of one until the late 70s, and they were expensive then.

We bought our first microwave in 1983.

It cost $700.00.

Link Posted: 5/27/2016 1:10:20 PM EDT
[#36]
Tombstone Pizza.

Totino's egg rolls and pizza rolls.

Chicken pot pie and TV dinners.

That's what I lived on when I left home.

Hot food from the oven, cold beer from the fridge.

Link Posted: 5/27/2016 1:10:22 PM EDT
[#37]
Quoted:

View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:

Ours was quite fancy, big copper thing with three cans of sterno. We did little cuts of meat and vegetables.  (Quite exciting if there was any moisture on the veggies)

The biggest drawback was, it took so long  and the pieces had to be so small  that you starved to death during food production.
Link Posted: 5/27/2016 1:13:48 PM EDT
[#38]
Quoted:

View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

lol

Link Posted: 5/27/2016 1:14:21 PM EDT
[#39]
Quoted:

It cost $700.00.

View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:
Wow, we have a lot of old farts here!!!   (considering that microwaves became common in the 1960s)

It cost $700.00.

I think we got ours in 1980. Montgomery Ward brand and my parents used it until they retired it to the basement in 1995. When I started grad school in 1996, I took it and used it for 4 years. I left it there when I left, and I wouldn't doubt that it still works fine, unless someone chucked it because was ugly and gawdy. They don't build shit like that anymore.
Link Posted: 5/27/2016 1:19:38 PM EDT
[#40]

baloney sammich.

in fact, anything in the house that was food that could peacefully coexist with bread.

Link Posted: 5/27/2016 1:28:54 PM EDT
[#41]
Quoted:

View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
TV Dinners in foil.

I had a Bionic Woman with that sort of arm. ;)

Link Posted: 5/27/2016 1:29:03 PM EDT
[#42]
Slices of baloney fried directly on the electric stove coil.
Link Posted: 5/27/2016 1:29:21 PM EDT
[#43]
Quoted:

The first countertop microwaves were sold in 1967.  Your grandma was an early adopter!

They had them earlier, but they were yuuuge.  

View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
I'm trying to remember when my family got their first microwave, my Grandmother bought it and she died in 1970 when I was 13 and we'd had it for at least 3 or 4 years, so I'm guessing it was 66 or 67.  I would have been around 10 or 11 then.  

But I remember foil tray TV dinners all too well.  When I was a kid "fast food" meant Grandma's cooking, usually sandwiches, or if I was lucky, her goulash.

The first countertop microwaves were sold in 1967.  Your grandma was an early adopter!

They had them earlier, but they were yuuuge.  

No joke yuuuuuge.  I have an early 70s unit at my camp that must weigh 125lbs is all chrome bezels and such, door folds down like an oven......."Now this was a superior machine. Ten grand worth of gimmicks and high-priced special effects. The dashboard was full of esoteric lights and dials and meters that I would never understand."
Link Posted: 5/27/2016 1:41:00 PM EDT
[#44]
My foggy memory seems to remember sliced beef in gravy and sliced turkey in gravy that came frozen in plastic pouches.
Boil the pouch, cut open and serve over bread or toast for a hot open faced sammich.
Link Posted: 5/27/2016 1:51:13 PM EDT
[#45]
Quoted:

View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:

I remember five cents. I also remember you had to pay a nickel to use the bathroom. If you were down to your last nickel and had to go, you had hard choices to make.
Link Posted: 5/27/2016 1:51:34 PM EDT
[#46]
Link Posted: 5/27/2016 1:54:16 PM EDT
[#47]
Quoted:

View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:

That was the 80's.
Link Posted: 5/27/2016 1:55:32 PM EDT
[#48]
Quoted:
TV Dinners in foil.

View Quote

+1

That was it.
Link Posted: 5/27/2016 1:57:10 PM EDT
[#49]
Quoted:

That was the 80's.
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:

That was the 80's.

Yes, but all the other stuff still applied. At least at our Pizza Hut. That was a night out.
Link Posted: 5/27/2016 1:58:42 PM EDT
[#50]
Quoted:

I remember five cents. I also remember you had to pay a nickel to use the bathroom. If you were down to your last nickel and had to go, you had hard choices to make.
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:

Yep, but the shitters were always spotless too.  

Ours had the little jukebox right there at the table too.  
Page / 3
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top