User Panel

Site Notices
Page / 3
Link Posted: 1/11/2021 11:37:28 PM EDT
[#1]
Jesus fuck, what a terrible language.
Link Posted: 1/11/2021 11:45:47 PM EDT
[#2]
Wife and I went there for our honeymoon many years ago.  We rented a car and drove around, and a couple times when we got into some of the more remote areas we noticed the local radio stations were all broadcasting in Irish.

Everyone spoke English, although some you couldn't understand after they drank too much.
Link Posted: 1/11/2021 11:47:20 PM EDT
[#3]
I follow an Irish girl who lives in Dublin, and I could listen to (and look at) her all day.  
I only miss a word if she starts talking too quickly.
Irish Girl Reacts to TERRIBLE Irish Accents in Films

Link Posted: 1/11/2021 11:48:10 PM EDT
[#4]
Discussion ForumsJump to Quoted PostQuote History
Quoted:
Whale
Oil
Beef
Hooked
View Quote

Link Posted: 1/11/2021 11:49:22 PM EDT
[#5]
I haven't watched it yet, but her video from earlier today is about American accents.

Irish Girl Reacts to EVERY AMERICAN ACCENT! - 50 People Show Us Their States' Accents

Link Posted: 1/11/2021 11:55:10 PM EDT
[#6]
Ex gf from Ireland was bilingual. She could speak with a London accent when she wanted
Link Posted: 1/11/2021 11:57:40 PM EDT
[#7]
Quoted:
You should take an Irish yoga class while you're there.

https://www.ar15-backup.com/media/mediaFiles/22973/sq14iCn-1775648.jpg
View Quote

Link Posted: 1/12/2021 12:01:24 AM EDT
[#8]

Closed captioning helps, but doesn't even try for that second video.
Link Posted: 1/12/2021 12:04:34 AM EDT
[#9]
Quoted:
You should take an Irish yoga class while you're there.

https://www.ar15-backup.com/media/mediaFiles/22973/sq14iCn-1775648.jpg
View Quote

They even do Irish yoga as a team sport.

Link Posted: 1/12/2021 12:07:26 AM EDT
[#10]
Some kind of gibberish
Link Posted: 1/12/2021 12:12:32 AM EDT
[#11]
If you have to have a lengthy conversation, just ask them to speak slower. That's what I did. They laughed, but obliged the best they could.
Link Posted: 1/12/2021 12:14:53 AM EDT
[#12]
View Quote View All Quotes
View All Quotes

Being half Irish, I’ll just say sometimes someone has to step up.
Link Posted: 1/12/2021 12:15:46 AM EDT
[#13]
They talk gaylick. Cuz they're a bunch of queers.
Link Posted: 1/12/2021 12:16:15 AM EDT
[#14]
I believe that after a few beers they speak Conor mcgregor.
Link Posted: 1/12/2021 12:16:44 AM EDT
[#15]
An ex GF of mine dated a guy from Northern Ireland. He and his brother actually came over and spent a couple months living here on an extended vacation.  They spoke English....with a heavy accent of course.
Link Posted: 1/12/2021 12:27:30 AM EDT
[#16]
Link Posted: 1/12/2021 12:28:44 AM EDT
[#17]
Quoted:
...just ask them to speak slower...
View Quote

Many Spanish speakers are even worse. It seems like the stronger their accent, the faster they speak.
Link Posted: 1/12/2021 12:29:03 AM EDT
[#18]
My father is from a Ireland...and I’m also a dual citizen...I understood every word! That kid’s accent is a Northern Irish accent. They speak differently in the north. The Kerry brogue is the most beautiful accent in the world! Up the Kingdom!
Link Posted: 1/12/2021 12:33:00 AM EDT
[#19]
Quoted:
My father is from a Ireland...and I'm also a dual citizen...
View Quote

I read that in an Italian accent.
Link Posted: 1/12/2021 12:36:13 AM EDT
[#20]
Lol....damn iPad. Back to my pint...
Link Posted: 1/12/2021 12:39:52 AM EDT
[#21]
Link Posted: 1/12/2021 12:40:23 AM EDT
[#22]
Quoted:
My father is from a Ireland...and I’m also a dual citizen...I understood every word! That kid’s accent is a Northern Irish accent. They speak differently in the north. The Kerry brogue is the most beautiful accent in the world! Up the Kingdom!
View Quote

Kerry is where most of my Irish heritage originated.
Link Posted: 1/12/2021 12:42:39 AM EDT
[#23]
English sorta. Some folks still speak Gaelic but they know English as well.
Link Posted: 1/12/2021 12:43:52 AM EDT
[#24]
Quoted:
Used to work with some Irish folks at Allied Irish Bank in NYC. They would always say, "oh we're definitely having the crack tonight." It means having fun.

View Quote

LOL...it’s actually spelled craic. Crack is something you smoke...at least that’s what I’ve heard.
Link Posted: 1/12/2021 12:52:06 AM EDT
[#25]
Quoted:
English sorta. Some folks still speak Gaelic but they know English as well.
View Quote

My father was fluent in “Irish” Gaelic...beautiful language and a little difficult to learn. There is a resurgence of the native Gaelic language in Ireland....glad the younger generations are interested in learning it. I love listening to the Gaelic radio stations while driving around over there. Too bad virtually all private firearm ownership has been eliminated over there...sad really.
Link Posted: 1/12/2021 12:57:16 AM EDT
[#26]
He’s speaking English but with a very strong Irish accent. If you were raised in the UK, you would probably pick it up quickly, I did. If not good luck, it was probably gibberish to you.
Link Posted: 1/12/2021 12:59:43 AM EDT
[#27]
Quoted:
Ex gf from Ireland was bilingual. She could speak with a London accent when she wanted
View Quote

So, she was an IRA operative?

Link Posted: 1/12/2021 1:04:06 AM EDT
[#28]
Quoted:
View Quote

Cockney or Posh?  

Link Posted: 1/12/2021 1:07:23 AM EDT
[#29]
Whatever you do, make sure you can tell the difference between Scot and Irish accents. My wife worked with a Scot. I knew he was from Scotland beforehand, but to mess with him. I asked: "You sure do talk funny...you Irish?"

A gulp and hard stare washed over him and he said: "Where i come frum, those are fightin' werds." Dude looked half serious.
Link Posted: 1/12/2021 1:11:20 AM EDT
[#30]
You think Gaelic is hard, try Welsh.

How To Speak Welsh: Basic Expressions
Link Posted: 1/12/2021 1:13:44 AM EDT
[#31]
Quoted:
Arabic.
View Quote

Irbic
Link Posted: 1/12/2021 1:15:08 AM EDT
[#32]
Quoted:
Whatever you do, make sure you can tell the difference between Scot and Irish accents. My wife worked with a Scot. I knew he was from Scotland beforehand, but to mess with him. I asked: "You sure do talk funny...you Irish?"

A gulp and hard stare washed over him and he said: "Where i come frum, those are fightin' werds." Dude looked half serious.
View Quote

Irish is understandable where Scottish isn’t.
Link Posted: 1/12/2021 1:37:24 AM EDT
[#33]
Irish (Gaelic) is the official language but with the exception of a few rural areas and a few islands they speak English.

The accent can vary a lot even in a small area.

None of that crappy Tom Cruise, Richard Gere or Brad Pitt accents from their movies. Nothing like anything I heard there.

I lived outside of Limerick in Annacotty in the Republic of Ireland and went to a Jesuit Catholic school many years ago.

Gaelic is taught in all of the schools and they have TV shows in Gaelic and dubbed in Gaelic (Spingebob for one) and the news Nuacht but I never heard anyone speak it in public.

In the south the accent varies from pretty easy to understand to a really heavy one that is more difficult but if you listen closely you can understand without much problem. The further north you go the more the sentences end on a higher note. Almost like a question.

I did not find the Irish to be super friendly at first meeting but they warmed up over time and I had some good friends.

It’s a beautiful country and very green mostly due to the frequent rain. Lots of old castles and ruins to see and explore. So rich on history.

Go see the Cliffs of Moher if you can and the Ring of Kerry.

Dublin is a great city to explore. You can walk about anywhere or get yourself a 2 or 3 day pass on the hop on hop off bus and travel all around town. So much to see.

Tralee is also very nice.

In a side note. I was on a field trip and we saw a man sweeping a parking lot. He was wearing a vest with a watch pocket and had a medal on the watch chain. One of my friends pointed out that it was from the Irish Rebellion from the 1920s and he was a member of the “good” IRA.

Listen closely and you will be just fine.

The locals will get a kick out of your accent and will ask you a lot of questions about the USA.

Enjoy

Fortyeven2n

Link Posted: 1/12/2021 1:54:55 AM EDT
[#34]
You just can't listen too fast, you'll miss words, then get way behind trying to figure those out.

Can't listen too closely either, you'll miss the gist of the message. Just let it wash over you, ah you'll be grand!

ETA: spend some time in Co. Wexford, people are great, lots of history. FYI- mentioning Oliver Cromwell can still illicit a spirited conversation.
Link Posted: 1/12/2021 1:58:49 AM EDT
[#35]
My Irish friend says cunt every other word. Just drop that a lot and you’ll be a local in no time.
Link Posted: 1/12/2021 2:11:01 AM EDT
[#36]
Quoted:
Explosions. Depending on the part
View Quote
This dialect is mostly used around Belfast.
Link Posted: 1/12/2021 2:16:24 AM EDT
[#37]
Quoted:
I didn't have any trouble communicating with people in the cities or tourist areas.  

I imagine its the same as the US. You get in certain areas and the local dialect changes.  

I've run across old hilljacks around here that I had a tough time understanding
View Quote

I live near at least 3 dialects: Arkansas, North Texas, and Okie. They are all technically English, but some of the speakers can be difficult for even me to understand, and I grew up here.

Linguistic maps are very interesting...
Link Posted: 1/12/2021 2:18:21 AM EDT
[#38]
Garlic
Link Posted: 1/12/2021 2:24:05 AM EDT
[#39]
Quoted:
I talk to an Irish guy everyday.

He talks english real good
View Quote

Link Posted: 1/12/2021 2:46:46 AM EDT
[#40]
Quoted:
This is a good question.  I meet 2 guys that were fresh from Kilkenny in Toronto , they had come to find work.  
We were both in the bar drinking and I could barely understand there accents . Guinness solved that . We both understood that.
View Quote

Kilkenny is a cool little town.
Link Posted: 1/12/2021 3:18:13 AM EDT
[#41]
Quoted:

And English.
View Quote View All Quotes
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
Gaelic

And English.

GaEnglish?
Link Posted: 1/12/2021 3:35:11 AM EDT
[#42]
The three most spoken languages in The Republic are,
1- English
2- Polish
3- Gaelic

There are summer schools in the Gael Tachts that do immersive Gaelic.
Link Posted: 1/12/2021 3:58:18 AM EDT
[#43]
English, unless they're Irish hipsters, then some kind of bastard Gaelic.
Link Posted: 1/12/2021 4:24:12 AM EDT
[#44]
When you find out Metallica are coming to Ireland! 'Is that the Kurt Cobain lad?'
Link Posted: 1/12/2021 4:36:34 AM EDT
[#45]
Be sure to tell them they sound like they're from Wales. It's an inside joke up there that will make you a few friends.
Link Posted: 1/12/2021 4:43:37 AM EDT
[#46]
Quoted:
Well, i ask because i have to go to Tralee.  Last time my girlfriend went there; people would gather around her and make her talk.  They'd say things like : "She talks like shes in the Movies".  People would stop to hear her talk.

Said it was surreal.

Thinking of bringing a Cowboy hat and spurs when i go to the pub; and say things with my best John Wayne accent:  "What does a Yank have to do to get a cold one ? "
View Quote

And that's why they laugh at Americans.
Just go and be yourself
Link Posted: 1/12/2021 5:12:29 AM EDT
[#47]
You’ll be be fine with English. I’ve got a number of clients across Ireland and rarely have any issues understanding one another.
Link Posted: 1/12/2021 5:14:47 AM EDT
[#48]
At the risk of assuming you are at least partly serious...

1) Nobody talks like that where you're going, but you may find people talking funny in a different way.

2) Try to make it down to Killarney, it's more of a tourist town and you'll be quite close. Just outside of town is Muckross Abbey which is a pretty big tourist draw as well. There's beaches in the area too... European beaches are surreal if you haven't been to one. Makes you really appreciate how good we have it, beach-wise.
Link Posted: 1/12/2021 5:24:52 AM EDT
[#49]
English, primarily, and a shit-ton of other languages, as the work climate for foreigners is pretty solid. They're going to refugee themselves out of existence.

Irish is spoken mainly in the Gaeltacht, but there has definitely been a resurgence in teaching the language throughout the country.
Link Posted: 1/12/2021 5:28:35 AM EDT
[#50]
Quoted:
Irish (Gaelic) is the official language but with the exception of a few rural areas and a few islands they speak English.

The accent can vary a lot even in a small area.

None of that crappy Tom Cruise, Richard Gere or Brad Pitt accents from their movies. Nothing like anything I heard there.

I lived outside of Limerick in Annacotty in the Republic of Ireland and went to a Jesuit Catholic school many years ago.

Gaelic is taught in all of the schools and they have TV shows in Gaelic and dubbed in Gaelic (Spingebob for one) and the news Nuacht but I never heard anyone speak it in public.

In the south the accent varies from pretty easy to understand to a really heavy one that is more difficult but if you listen closely you can understand without much problem. The further north you go the more the sentences end on a higher note. Almost like a question.

I did not find the Irish to be super friendly at first meeting but they warmed up over time and I had some good friends.

It’s a beautiful country and very green mostly due to the frequent rain. Lots of old castles and ruins to see and explore. So rich on history.

Go see the Cliffs of Moher if you can and the Ring of Kerry.

Dublin is a great city to explore. You can walk about anywhere or get yourself a 2 or 3 day pass on the hop on hop off bus and travel all around town. So much to see.

Tralee is also very nice.

In a side note. I was on a field trip and we saw a man sweeping a parking lot. He was wearing a vest with a watch pocket and had a medal on the watch chain. One of my friends pointed out that it was from the Irish Rebellion from the 1920s and he was a member of the “good” IRA.

Listen closely and you will be just fine.

The locals will get a kick out of your accent and will ask you a lot of questions about the USA.

Enjoy

Fortyeven2n

View Quote

What he said.

Two days in Dublin, tops, and then get the hell out and visit IRELAND!
Page / 3
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top