BCM
User Panel

Page / 4
Link Posted: 5/3/2009 4:40:24 PM EDT
[#1]
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:

Sir, you make it sound so simple and friendly.  Why heavens, they weren't worked to death, that would have been INHUMANE, and CRUEL.  Why, I am certain that those old slaves who were retired to the plantation house were genuinely thankful to live out their remaining days in a "kindly" atmosphere.  Never mind that they had spent their entire life in back-breaking servitude, denied the basic freedoms which are so loudly touted on this board, and seemingly loudest by Texans.

I know these facts are difficult for you to believe.  You have been indoctrinated by a liberal education all your life.

Read some history and you will find a different set of facts.

Sure, some slaves were terribly mistreated.  Those people that did such things are despicable.

But the actual relationship between slaves and their owners in the old South were not what you imagine.

Again, I'm not suggesting that slavery was "right", but only explaining how the system really worked.  It was not like you have been told.

I thought not being free was being mistreated in and of itself. Silly me.

Uh, yea (+1, what he said, etc.)

Link Posted: 5/3/2009 4:42:17 PM EDT
[#2]
The real problem with slavery, is that here in the US, it was perpetual.
Link Posted: 5/3/2009 4:42:56 PM EDT
[#3]
the Irish slaves were the ones severely mistreated, also until the 1920's the signs were Mick's and Negroes ate, bathroom, etc was in the rear.
while slavery is wrong, many slaves were treated like family and were slaves in name only. many chose to stay with their owners or actually were given land to farm from their owners who treated them as equals or better.

you have to keep in mind that Africans were the main slave traders and still are till this day

the Irish were the first slaves in the new world and were very badly treated. if a slave trader had Irish and African slaves on their ship the Irish were chained to the deck out in the elements and tossed over the side for the slightest reason while the African slaves were kept below decks and cared for much better.
over 450,000 Irish slaves were brought to the new world
Link Posted: 5/3/2009 4:44:13 PM EDT
[#4]
Quoted:
Quoted:

Well, I see the mouth-foamers are here, so I will bow out.

You fellows have a good evening.

Yeah because telling it as it really was is being a "mouth-foamer." It's more like the revisionists in the South (who are as bad as the revisionists in the North) can't stand the truth to be told because it is an ugly part of Southern history. Not to mention the practice of slavery was in direct contrast to the values of the Bible, which was supposedly revered in the South.

The rationalizations that occurred then are as interesting as those occurring now. Back then slavery was considered humane because people convinced themselves that "negros" couldn't take care of themselves and needed benevolent white people to take care of them.

Now it is a bit more interesting. People talk about how slaves weren't mistreated...that often. That's true to an extend. Slaves were expensive investments, so beating them just out of meanness doesn't make sense. Although, there was mistreatment. What people don't like to acknowledge today is that slaves were worked hard without regard to age or gender many times. They don't like to talk about how were sold without regard to slave families. They talk about how people defied the law to teach slaves to read and write, while glossing over the fact that it was against the law to do so in the first place.

Some enduring myths of early America:
The Civil War was over States' rights. Maybe, as long as you acknowledge the right they were concerned about was the right to determine if a state would allow slavery or not.
The Civil War was fought over slavery. Nope, it was fought to keep the Union together.
Everyone in the South owned slaves. Nope, they were expensive. In fact, many share croppers lived in worse conditions than slaves. Then again they could chose to do something else; whereas, a slave could not.

Link Posted: 5/3/2009 4:44:20 PM EDT
[#5]
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:
What happened to slaves who worked hard their whole lives and then just became old and frail? Did they just live out the rest of their days relaxin on the plantation? Did the masters find some busy work to keep them occupied?

This, for the vast majority of slaves.

They were usually called "Aunt" or "Uncle" and treated kindly.  Many Southerners were basically "raised" by their Mammies and loved them all their lives.

That is the truth.  We will now wait for the mouth-foaming haters of the South to come into the thread screaming and hating.

Is there realy that big a devide btween the north and south.?
Over here there is a north south devide but mainly it is light hearted and not taken too seriously.

Cheers
Taffy

What is often forgotten is that there were slaves in the North during the Civil War.
Even the Emancipation Proclamation that freed all the slaves in the South during the Civil War did not free all the slaves in the North.

Link Posted: 5/3/2009 4:45:01 PM EDT
[#6]
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:
Anyone who believes in the Second Amendment and WHY we have it has no business defending, in any way, slavery or slaveowners.

IMHO.

Care to point out a single person in this thread who has said that slavery is a good thing?

"Slaves weren't treated all that bad." etc.

A "well-treated" slave is still a SLAVE.  How many people here would trade away their second amendment rights for free food, health care, shelter, etc.?

Exactly.
Link Posted: 5/3/2009 4:46:10 PM EDT
[#7]
Quoted:

you have to keep in mind that Africans were the main slave traders and still are till this day

Is that supposed to somehow excuse the practice?
Link Posted: 5/3/2009 4:46:58 PM EDT
[#8]
On a side note, I took this pic of a translated manifest, at the Laura Plantation in LA.

Link Posted: 5/3/2009 4:49:11 PM EDT
[#9]
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:

Yeah because telling it as it really was is being a "mouth-foamer." It's more like the revisionists in the South (who are as bad as the revisionists in the North) can't stand the truth to be told because it is an ugly part of Southern history. Not to mention the practice of slavery was in direct contrast to the values of the Bible, which was supposedly revered in the South.

The rationalizations that occurred then are as interesting as those occurring now. Back then slavery was considered humane because people convinced themselves that "negros" couldn't take care of themselves and needed benevolent white people to take care of them.

Now it is a bit more interesting. People talk about how slaves weren't mistreated...that often. That's true to an extend. Slaves were expensive investments, so beating them just out of meanness doesn't make sense. Although, there was mistreatment. What people don't like to acknowledge today is that slaves were worked hard without regard to age or gender many times. They don't like to talk about how were sold without regard to slave families. They talk about how people defied the law to teach slaves to read and write, while glossing over the fact that it was against the law to do so in the first place.

The Civil War was over States' rights. Maybe, as long as you acknowledge the right they were concerned about was the right to determine if a state would allow slavery or not.
The Civil War was fought over slavery. Nope, it was fought to keep the Union together.
Everyone in the South owned slaves. Nope, they were expensive. In fact, many share croppers lived in worse conditions than slaves. Then again they could chose to do something else; whereas, a slave could not.

Oh contrair.

However, you may purchase male or female slaves from among the foreigners who live among you.  You may also purchase the children of such resident foreigners, including those who have been born in your land.  You may treat them as your property, passing them on to your children as a permanent inheritance.  You may treat your slaves like this, but the people of Israel, your relatives, must never be treated this way.  (Leviticus 25:44-46 NLT)

Link Posted: 5/3/2009 4:54:31 PM EDT
[#10]
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:

Oh contrair.

However, you may purchase male or female slaves from among the foreigners who live among you.  You may also purchase the children of such resident foreigners, including those who have been born in your land.  You may treat them as your property, passing them on to your children as a permanent inheritance.  You may treat your slaves like this, but the people of Israel, your relatives, must never be treated this way.  (Leviticus 25:44-46 NLT)

Yeah, so screw the whole New Testament Jesus died for you stuff, in order to justify a disgusting practice, right?
Link Posted: 5/3/2009 4:58:06 PM EDT
[#11]
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:
What happened to slaves who worked hard their whole lives and then just became old and frail? Did they just live out the rest of their days relaxin on the plantation? Did the masters find some busy work to keep them occupied?

They were usually called "Aunt" or "Uncle" and treated kindly.  Many Southerners were basically "raised" by their Mammies and loved them all their lives.

That is the truth.  We will now wait for the mouth-foaming haters of the South to come into the thread screaming and hating.

Over here there is a north south devide but mainly it is light hearted and not taken too seriously.

Cheers
Taffy

Yeah.  Northern urban liberals really look down their nose at the south as racist hicks.  Southerners don't really care for yankees for a lot of reasons they can better explain than me.

I dont look down on the South, I just wish the ones who still make a big deal over the war get over it.

How seriously is this taken? are we talking a bit of banter or are we talking hatred?

Cheers
Taffy

Most of us are just joking around, but there are members (on BOTH sides) who get really nasty in these threads. I see a few have shown up on page two. It will be downhill from here on out.
Link Posted: 5/3/2009 4:58:06 PM EDT
[#12]
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:

Oh contrair.

Yeah, so screw the whole New Testament Jesus died for you stuff, in order to justify a disgusting practice, right?

I am far from trying to justify slavery. You sir said it was in direct contrast with the bible. It is not.

I would never condon screwing the New Testament either.
Link Posted: 5/3/2009 4:59:15 PM EDT
[#13]
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:

Oh contrair.

I am far from trying to justify slavery. You sir said it was in direct contrast with the bible. It is not.

Well, I guess it isn't in direct contrast with the Bible as long as you ignore the second half of the Bible.
Link Posted: 5/3/2009 5:00:01 PM EDT
[#14]
It's interesting that Northerner's never stop and think about the slavery present up north during the civil war era.

Sweatshops, child labor, 16 hour shifts.  Your worker gets crippled, fire him and hire the next immigrant who comes along for next to nothing.  You don't toe the line and it's off the slums to starve.

On the other hand slaves represented a substantial capital investment.  They were therefore usually treated much better than the average northern factory worker.  Hell, when they built the canal in New Orleans they used Irish immigrant labor because slaves cost too much and the canal workers died in droves.  Bear in mind I am against the institution of slavery, but when you honestly look at the conditions of the time, the northern high and mighty attitude about the whole thing seems rather hypocritical.  They just preferred their own version of slavery.

Yeah, I'm from MN.  Lived in Florida as a kid, and Alabama, and North Carolina for extended periods later in life.

Link Posted: 5/3/2009 5:00:09 PM EDT
[#15]
Quoted:
<snip>

Have you even read the Bible?  Seriously, slavery is discussed in the NT also. And it may just shock you to know that it isn't condemned.
Link Posted: 5/3/2009 5:00:31 PM EDT
[#16]
how do twist what was said into that?
Link Posted: 5/3/2009 5:01:39 PM EDT
[#17]
Well, I guess it isn't in direct contrast with the Bible as long as you ignore the second half of the Bible.

I don't ignore either half, thanks you.
Link Posted: 5/3/2009 5:02:45 PM EDT
[#18]
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:

Oh contrair.

the second half just tells you to treat your slaves like any other Christian brother.
Link Posted: 5/3/2009 5:04:23 PM EDT
[#19]
Quoted:
Quoted:

I'm afraid you are right OP.....  The roots mini-series just tainted too many minds.

Link Posted: 5/3/2009 5:06:10 PM EDT
[#20]
I am truly surprised this hasn't gotten to the point of being locked yet.  You guys are getting soft.
Link Posted: 5/3/2009 5:06:13 PM EDT
[#21]
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:

Cheers
Taffy

Seems that there might be for southerners. Can't say I've ever heard a northerner complaining about "damn johnny rebs". Plenty of "damn yankee scum" talk about though

Yeah, can't remember the last time I saw a "....and the south shall lose again...." bumper sticker.  Us Northerners are pretty much oblivious to the whole war/reconciliation except as a historical oddity.  Yet, in the south, there are all sorts of cultural ties to "Dixie" that will not be resolved.  This includes alternate history literature of "what if" the south won, or could it be possible today?

Odd stuff for us, but in the south, this is part of the culture and historical experience.  

Nothing much changed in the south after the war.  It lost out on some development, but eventually industrialized accordingly.

Link Posted: 5/3/2009 5:10:57 PM EDT
[#22]
OP knows better then me
He knew this thread would go south () to coin a phrase

Cheers
Taffy
Link Posted: 5/3/2009 5:17:37 PM EDT
[#23]

Quoted:

OP knows better then me

He knew this thread would go south (
) to coin a phrase

Cheers

Taffy

Just to stir the pot a little.  How and when did the phrase "go south" start to mean go bad?  
Link Posted: 5/3/2009 5:19:52 PM EDT
[#24]
Quoted:

Quoted:
OP knows better then me
He knew this thread would go south () to coin a phrase

Cheers
Taffy

Just to stir the pot a little.  How and when did the phrase "go south" start to mean go bad?  

Good question.
Link Posted: 5/3/2009 5:21:25 PM EDT
[#25]
Quoted:
Quoted:

Who the fuck thought segregation was a good thing?

Southerners.

not true.  another history book lie.  Yankees were not angels.

Segregation was not an issue in the north because there were so many fewer blacks AND where there were communities, they were already economically segregated.  

I can show you neighborhoods from Bridgeport CT to Los Angeles CA that had full support of the local government to practice whatever segregation scheame they wished.
Link Posted: 5/3/2009 5:22:23 PM EDT
[#26]
Quoted:

Seems that there might be for southerners. Can't say I've ever heard a northerner complaining about "damn johnny rebs". Plenty of "damn yankee scum" talk about though

That would be b/c the North wasn't infested with carpetbaggers from the South after the war.
Link Posted: 5/3/2009 5:23:45 PM EDT
[#27]
Quoted:
On a side note, I took this pic of a translated manifest, at the Laura Plantation in LA.

http://i40.tinypic.com/k9i83.jpg

Wow, I didnt realize how expensive slaves were.
Link Posted: 5/3/2009 5:23:50 PM EDT
[#28]
Quoted:
Quoted:Look at it this way, no one here doesn't think slavery is possibly the worst evil human beings have ever invented. Does it really need to be demonized beyond the idea that owning another human is wholly evil?

I don't think slavery is the worst thing we've ever invented.

It was very much a normal thing up until the time that the USA decided to end it.

The British and the Dutch "invented" the modern slavery of the colonial expansion periods.

The islands that everyone loves to honeymoon at were big players in the slave trade.  Their reward for their cooperation is the tourist industry / drug trade dollars that flow through.   Those that uprised/declared independence, ended up like Hati.
Link Posted: 5/3/2009 5:25:17 PM EDT
[#29]
Depending on the era a few things. Right up until the Civil War, the south was big on pushing a familial excuse for slavery. So they raised the slaves and kept them till death. As slaves got older they would be moved to domestic duties like house keeping and taking care of slave babies/children.
Link Posted: 5/3/2009 5:29:04 PM EDT
[#30]
Quoted:
It's interesting that Northerner's never stop and think about the slavery present up north during the civil war era.

Sweatshops, child labor, 16 hour shifts.  Your worker gets crippled, fire him and hire the next immigrant who comes along for next to nothing.  You don't toe the line and it's off the slums to starve.

On the other hand slaves represented a substantial capital investment.  They were therefore usually treated much better than the average northern factory worker.  Hell, when they built the canal in New Orleans they used Irish immigrant labor because slaves cost too much and the canal workers died in droves.  Bear in mind I am against the institution of slavery, but when you honestly look at the conditions of the time, the northern high and mighty attitude about the whole thing seems rather hypocritical.  They just preferred their own version of slavery.

Yeah, I'm from MN.  Lived in Florida as a kid, and Alabama, and North Carolina for extended periods later in life.

Actually, it continues to this day with the exploitation of "undocumented workers."
Link Posted: 5/3/2009 5:32:12 PM EDT
[#31]
Quoted:
Quoted:
<snip>

Have you even read the Bible?  Seriously, slavery is discussed in the NT also. And it may just shock you to know that it isn't condemned.

So exactly what part of owning a slave is in keeping with the ideals Christ taught?
Link Posted: 5/3/2009 5:35:34 PM EDT
[#32]
Ok, I'm going to say it.

To the OP.  What you did with your old slave was your business.  Kill-em, eat um, send them up river...whatever.  It was your $$$ to waste or use.

To the point on Slavery.

It needs to come back.  I see nothing wrong with buying labor.  I hope the laws were written to protect the well being of the slave, ie no rape or child molestation or maiming or murder, but that being said.  The US would greatly help itself and its unemployment, homeless and economy by bringing back slavery.

I can easily see people selling themselves for a free roof over their head, 3 meals a day whatever gifts the owner wants to give them for life long servitude.

Anyone here can buy me for $500,000.  I keep the cash.  You give me a roof over my head and 3 meals a day for the remander of my life.  I will do whatever you want...within the law.  Remember I said no rape...lol
Link Posted: 5/3/2009 5:38:02 PM EDT
[#33]
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:Look at it this way, no one here doesn't think slavery is possibly the worst evil human beings have ever invented. Does it really need to be demonized beyond the idea that owning another human is wholly evil?

It was very much a normal thing up until the time that the USA decided to end it.

The British and the Dutch "invented" the modern slavery of the colonial expansion periods. Nope, it was a West African invention. King of Benin was the richest man on earth circa 1720 or so.

The islands that everyone loves to honeymoon at were big players in the slave trade.  Their reward for their cooperation is the tourist industry / drug trade dollars that flow through.   Those that uprised/declared independence, ended up like Hati.

Chattel slavery as practiced against Africans was a West African invention through and through. Biblical slavery was more of Serfdom than Chattel Slavery.

Link Posted: 5/3/2009 5:38:23 PM EDT
[#34]

Quoted:

Ok, I'm going to say it.

To the OP. What you did with your old slave was your business. Kill-em, eat um, send them up river...whatever. It was your $$$ to waste or use.

To the point on Slavery.

It needs to come back. I see nothing wrong with buying labor. I hope the laws were written to protect the well being of the slave, ie no rape or child molestation or maiming or murder, but that being said. The US would greatly help itself and its unemployment, homeless and economy by bringing back slavery.

I can easily see people selling themselves for a free roof over their head, 3 meals a day whatever gifts the owner wants to give them for life long servitude.

Anyone here can buy me for $500,000. I keep the cash. You give me a roof over my head and 3 meals a day for the remander of my life. I will do whatever you want...within the law. Remember I said no rape...lol

What size Gimp suit should I order?  
Link Posted: 5/3/2009 5:39:50 PM EDT
[#35]
Quoted:
Ok, I'm going to say it.

To the OP.  What you did with your old slave was your business.  Kill-em, eat um, send them up river...whatever.  It was your $$$ to waste or use.

To the point on Slavery.

It needs to come back.  I see nothing wrong with buying labor.  I hope the laws were written to protect the well being of the slave, ie no rape or child molestation or maiming or murder, but that being said.  The US would greatly help itself and its unemployment, homeless and economy by bringing back slavery.

Anyone here can buy me for $500,000.  I keep the cash.  You give me a roof over my head and 3 meals a day for the remander of my life.  I will do whatever you want...within the law.  Remember I said no rape...lol

I look at using undocumented illiegal immigrants as a form of slave-labor.  Therefore I am against using, and establishing profitable business practices on the backs of these labourers.  Like slavery of the 1700-1800s, we are addicted to cheap labor and look away from the abuses that occur amongst the workers and between the workers and ourselves.
Link Posted: 5/3/2009 5:44:19 PM EDT
[#36]
Quoted:
What happened to slaves who worked hard their whole lives and then just became old and frail? Did they just live out the rest of their days relaxin on the plantation? Did the masters find some busy work to keep them occupied? Did the master just work them untill they droped dead? Did they "liquidate" them?

Can you hear that? It sounds like a lock coming.
Link Posted: 5/3/2009 5:44:58 PM EDT
[#37]
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:

The British and the Dutch "invented" the modern slavery of the colonial expansion periods. Nope, it was a West African invention. King of Benin was the richest man on earth circa 1720 or so.

Chattel slavery as practiced against Africans was a West African invention through and through. Biblical slavery was more of Serfdom than Chattel Slavery.

Did the King of Benin invent the slave-ships?  Slave auctions?  Did he pioneer and found the slave-markets on the carribbiean islands?  Did he invent the plantations?

The king of Benin only participated in the capture and selling of slaves to the europeans in the slave castles along the west-African coastline.  Like the rest of history, the Africans invented jack shit.  If they did not sell to the europeans, they would sell to the nomadic tribes or to the arabs.  They were not complacent, but the worldwide wholesale trade of slaves to work giant commercial plantations is an evil entirely attributable to the dutch and british.

Link Posted: 5/3/2009 5:47:30 PM EDT
[#38]
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:

Cheers
Taffy

I take it there was no war of Northern aggression there?
Link Posted: 5/3/2009 5:49:01 PM EDT
[#39]
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:

Cheers
Taffy

Yeah.  Northern urban liberals really look down their nose at the south as racist hicks.  Southerners don't really care for yankees for a lot of reasons they can better explain than me.

I dont look down on the South, I just wish the ones who still make a big deal over the war get over it.

How seriously is this taken? are we talking a bit of banter or are we talking hatred?

Cheers
Taffy

Not hatred.  More like snide contemptuous remarks at worst.  Until recently, neither would prefer living in each other's region.  But that's changing as the cost of living around New York is becoming ridiculous and the economy in Michagan is collapsing, forcing northern white people to move to the south where the economy's better and the cost of living is much much lower, especially in urban areas in the south like Atlanta, Georgia and Charlotte, North Carolina.

Those are referred to as "Damn Yankees". The ones that come down south to live amongst the "commoners" and won't go home.

Link Posted: 5/3/2009 5:49:11 PM EDT
[#40]
Andrew Jackson's slaves had guns and ate meat

They also got paid in real money

They had possessions and traded with other slaves from neighboring plantations

Old hannah made it to 76 and her daughter Betty lived to be 77

Jackson's slaves oftentimes ran the plantation completely unsupervised while all of the owners were out of state.  Several stayed on after the war

Alfred worked at the Hermitage until 1901

Link Posted: 5/3/2009 5:50:01 PM EDT
[#41]
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:

not so much the north
But we tried to keep the english out... east

Cheers
Taffy

I take it there was no war of Northern aggression there?

Link Posted: 5/3/2009 5:51:07 PM EDT
[#42]
Heck, if you want a slave to be productive, I'd think you'd be nice to them and treat them well. Even if they are slaves, they were still human, and if they're not fed well enough or healthy enough, they're less productive.
And I'm a northerner!
Link Posted: 5/3/2009 5:51:28 PM EDT
[#43]
Quoted:
Andrew Jackson's slaves had guns and ate meat

They also got paid in real money

They had possessions and traded with other slaves from neighboring plantations

Old hannah made it to 76 and her daughter Betty lived to be 77

Jackson's slaves oftentimes ran the plantation completely unsupervised while all of the owners were out of state.  Several stayed on after the war

Alfred worked at the Hermitage until 1901

Oh that can't be, the Yankees said so.
Link Posted: 5/3/2009 6:01:47 PM EDT
[#44]
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:

Shit, that one woman who murdered the three children she was supervising and then fled to the north shocked the south. Many had been raised by black "Mammies", or at least knew someone who had. It'd be like hearing about your kindergarten teacher opening up on her class with a shotgun and then fleeing to Missouri, which refused to extradite her. That had a lot of southerners freaked out and wondering if they could trust their slaves. They were worried about whether or not they'd run rampant if and when they were freed.

Then add in John Brown. He murdered three families who owned a single slave between them and 'recruited' the slave into his 'army' (consisting of his sons and a handful of followers) to free the blacks and kill off all slave holders. The slave fled first chance he got and alerted the authorities, and Brown fled up north, where he was protected from being brought back and put on trial. Then Brown and his sons and followers seized the town of Harper's Ferry and murdered any townspeople who resisted, including a free black man. The military retaliated, and Brown and his surviving followers were captured, put on trial, and hanged. Cities all over the north flew flags at half mast and had fucking parades in Brown's honor. The south, at this point, seriously began to harbor deep suspicion about the north, which had been sucking off the south's financial teat for decades and kept fucking them over.

Between that and decades of political and economic struggle between the north and south, is it any wonder southerners eventually said "fuck it" and left the Union?

I commend any who would fight slavery, including John Brown.  And my family owned large plantations in South Carolina.  But slavery is unabashedly wrong, and I would not fault anyone who rises up and kills their master.  For slavery is not a state of peace, but a state of perpetual war between master and slave, and in war the only morality is force and fraud.  Sic Semper Tyrannus.
Link Posted: 5/3/2009 6:01:50 PM EDT
[#45]
Quoted:
Quoted:

yeah.

Link Posted: 5/3/2009 6:01:54 PM EDT
[#46]
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:
<snip>

So exactly what part of owning a slave is in keeping with the ideals Christ taught?

Actually, slavery was so common in the world of the Romans that to think that Christians would not, at some point, hold slaves is illogical.  Any Roman of a higher class, or even a local of any given region of a merchant class or higher, would own slaves.  I am not well-versed enough to know if slaves were inherited (the children of slaves being slaves) but it was most likely a lifetime thing.  They were largely the captured women and children from the many wars the Romans fought, or were purchased from 'barbarians' across frontiers (which would have been the women and children of enemy tribes).  ISTR that an owner had the power of life and death over their slaves, but you couldn't kill another mans' slave.  In fact, slavery was a contributing factor to the downfall of Rome.

Treatment of slaves in the Old South varied widely, also depending on the attitude of the slave.  There were those who treated them poorly, just as there were those who forgot that they had been bought and paid for.  

Also, to the poster who said that slavery was normal up until we stopped it . . . it was NOT the USA that first outlawed slavery.  It was Britain and they tended to side with the South for economic reasons (cotton) and because they realized that a divided USA would be less powerful.

And to the guy who is claiming that the Irish indentured servants were thrown overboard . . . When would they have ridden the same ships over??  Not like Africa and Ireland are exactly on the same routes.  The main difference between the two is that the Irish came over with the hope for a better life, since indentured servitude would, eventually, end.  Indentured servitude is actually far more like what was known in the Old Testament (or should have been practiced anyway) than what was practiced with African slaves.

Link Posted: 5/3/2009 6:06:47 PM EDT
[#47]
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:

Cheers
Taffy

Cheers
Taffy

Not hatred.  More like snide contemptuous remarks at worst.  Until recently, neither would prefer living in each other's region.  But that's changing as the cost of living around New York is becoming ridiculous and the economy in Michagan is collapsing, forcing northern white people to move to the south where the economy's better and the cost of living is much much lower, especially in urban areas in the south like Atlanta, Georgia and Charlotte, North Carolina.

I've lived in pennsylvania most of my life and I can honestly say that I never heard anyone make any serious criticism of the south or southerners.

All the southerners on ARFCOM seem to think that the entire north is composed of granola eating bi-sexuals who have nipple rings and practice wicca when they are not out campaigning for gay rights.

The truth of the matter is, we have big filthy worthless cities surrounded by completely decent, normal people.  The problem is that the population of the cities outweighs the surrounding areas.  

Pennsylvania has the most NRA members of any state and the most pickup truck registrations of any state.

So fuck you.  

Here's a county breakdown of the 2008 presidential election.  You'll never see this on TV.

Notice how many northern counties are red?  How do you figger that happened?  

Look at all the blue southern counties.

Remind me to stay out of new england.  Sheeesh!  A lot of blue counties up there
Link Posted: 5/3/2009 6:07:14 PM EDT
[#48]
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:

yeah.

Actually, it means that slavery is not totally "whitey's" fault.  

I'm no fan of slavery at all.  But I absolutely, positively resent being blamed for something that neither my ancestors nor myself had anything to do with.  My ancestors were mostly Irish immigrants and dirt-poor farmers.  They didn't own slaves.  

I'm tired of white guilt.  I'm tired of being told that it is somehow my fault for Africa's problems, or that it is my fault for the plight of certain ethnic groups in the US.  I had NOTHING to do with it.  

Link Posted: 5/3/2009 6:12:48 PM EDT
[#49]
1.  Pre-Civil War the life expectancies of white and black southerners was about identical.
2.  In the old days men were not pussies and they could work a farm just about until the day they died.  My grandfather was still doing farm work until the week he died at age 76.  
3.  Many slaves learned skills or even ran businesses that got them time away from purely manual farm labor.
Link Posted: 5/3/2009 6:20:37 PM EDT
[#50]
Quoted:

All the southerners on ARFCOM seem to think that the entire north is composed of granola eating bi-sexuals who have nipple rings and practice wicca when they are not out campaigning for gay rights.

Page / 4
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top