BCM
User Panel

Site Notices
Page / 3
Next Page Arrow Left
Link Posted: 12/27/2012 3:47:43 AM EDT
[#1]
Quoted:
Ok, since I'm a good guy, I have an offer for the OP.

I live in Southaven.  I have a two car garage that is empty except for a chair, riding mower, and work bench.  If you and your wife would like to stay in the garage, I've got an old mattress you can put on the floor to sleep on.

I offer a free continental breakfast which includes a jar of mustard and a half gallon of milk.  I have two pomeranians and they love guests.  So they may visit with you.

You can stay as long as you want for only $20 a night.  The rest of the house is off limits, but you can make the garage feel at home.  You will get the Memphis tourism experience.

All things considered, that ain't a bad offer.

Link Posted: 12/27/2012 3:52:47 AM EDT
[#2]
Quoted:
Let me add this,the Beale Street area has a nice club called"Club Crave".Be sure to check it out.  

I liked it better when it was  Club Plush.

Link Posted: 12/27/2012 4:02:11 AM EDT
[#3]
WTF is wrong with you people!  I've lived in Memphis my whole life save 5 years working for my uncle, and, I've only been shot twice, stabbed three times and I still don't wanna talk about the night I was rufied!

Seriously though, it's not nearly as bad as folks are letting on, just stay in the high traffic areas and you'll be fine!
Link Posted: 12/27/2012 4:02:56 AM EDT
[#4]
Quoted:
If you absolutely *must* stay in Memphis, try for a room at the Peabody. You can hang out in the hotel bar, watch the ducks go to roost at 5PM, walk across the street and eat BBQ ribs at the rendezvous one night and walk out back behind the Peabody and eat at the brazilian steakhouse the next night. I forget its name.

Anyway, seriously, Memphis isn't exactly a premier vacation spot.

The Brazilian place is called Texas de Brazil

I'd stay in the Germantown/Cordova area if I had a choice. Nice area for sure. OP- don't forget to visit Graceland, and maybe Forrest Park. I don't know of anything else to do except for Beale Street I guess.
Link Posted: 12/27/2012 4:22:15 AM EDT
[#5]
As most people have said, stay in Germantown/Cordova or Southaven, MS. Stay away downtown, Orange Mound, Whitehaven (its neither) and pretty much anywhere close to the river. Carry a gun. Make sure your family has guns. And ammo. Keep your head on a swivel and DO NOT talk to strangers on the street.
I believe Beale is posted "No guns."

Seriously, go to Tunica and gamble.
Link Posted: 12/27/2012 4:26:09 AM EDT
[#6]
Last time I was in Memphrica I stayed at the Hampton in Millington. Just be aware of your surroundings and you'll be fine.
Link Posted: 12/27/2012 4:53:31 AM EDT
[#7]
Quoted:
Ok, since I'm a good guy, I have an offer for the OP.

I live in Southaven.  I have a two car garage that is empty except for a chair, riding mower, and work bench.  If you and your wife would like to stay in the garage, I've got an old mattress you can put on the floor to sleep on.

I offer a free continental breakfast which includes a jar of mustard and a half gallon of milk.  I have two pomeranians and they love guests.  So they may visit with you.

You can stay as long as you want for only $20 a night.  The rest of the house is off limits, but you can make the garage feel at home.  You will get the Memphis tourism experience.

Throw in a can of potted meat and some crackers and it's a deal !!!

Link Posted: 12/27/2012 6:15:38 AM EDT
[#8]
I know the area around Brooks and Tulane near the airport is rough.
Link Posted: 12/27/2012 9:41:06 AM EDT
[#9]
Quoted:
Just spending the time to visit downtown, the sights, beale street, etc.  BBQ of course and a craft beer bar as well.

We can spend more for the room than 100, probably not more than 150 a night though.
Christ on a bike! Why don't you just go to Detroit while you're at it I could think of a million other places better to go than there from your location. Please, please, please tell me you CC daily?

Link Posted: 12/27/2012 5:56:57 PM EDT
[#10]
Lived near Getwell and I-240 in the late 90's... we were broken into 3 times in 6 months... including an incident where I held the scumbag at gunpoint for TEN MINUTES before the cops finally showed up... The cop flat out told me "Next time you are broken into, do us a favor and kill the bastard"... I moved shortly after.

As far as "safe" areas in Memphis, I also vote to stay down in Tunica, the hotels are nice, lots of security, and it isn't far to run into town.  Beale isn't bad, but if you are going to be there after dark go in at least a fireteam sized group and BE ARMED.  As far as good BBQ goes, there are a bunch of little mom and pop places along RT. 61 that are FANTASTIC!!  I forget the name of it, but it looks like a total dump on the outside, just look for all the cars... inside isn't much better looking than the outside, but DAMN!!! I do know it was in MS, not TN
Link Posted: 12/27/2012 6:20:18 PM EDT
[#11]
I went there in March with my mom and two female cousins.  We stayed at the SpringHill Suites in the downtown area.  I think we paid $129/night.  The service was great and we were within walking distance to Beale Street and the Hall of Fame.  We didn't stay out late and always walked together.  I did not have to draw down, blade at 45 or run for my life.  We ate dinner on Beale Street every night and were not raped, maimed or molested at any point.  I actually had quite a good time - good food, music and a touch of the King made for a great weekend.
Link Posted: 12/27/2012 11:50:08 PM EDT
[#12]
Quoted:
Hampton Inn Peabody place is nice and right behind Rum Boogie. Nice garage attached, security,etc. And you can use the skywalk from the hotel over to the mall.

This!

Still, after dark, stay sober and remain aware of your surroundings.

Edit:
Forget the mall part, it sucks, mostly vacant.
Link Posted: 12/27/2012 11:53:10 PM EDT
[#13]
Quoted:
Quoted:
Hampton Inn Peabody place is nice and right behind Rum Boogie. Nice garage attached, security,etc. And you can use the skywalk from the hotel over to the mall.

The Peabody Place mall?  Now you're just giving him suggestions so he does get robbed.. hah

Oh yeah! That "MALL" is just another thing to tear down in a few years. Not much worth seeing there.
Link Posted: 12/28/2012 12:03:41 AM EDT
[#14]

Quoted:

Quoted:

When I drive through Memphis, 2-4 times a year, I always have a gun in my hand. Not in the seat, not in my lap, unholstered, spare mag on the console and my Glock in my hand. Fuck that place.

A company I used to work for had an office in Memphis that I went to twice. They found a dead body in the empty lot behind the office. They had a guard dog service drop dogs off every evening and had razor wire inside and outside the building. No female could be at the office by herself. Someone stole the wheels off of one of the office worker's cars and left a note demanding $200 for return of the wheels. She went to the bank, got the cash, left it under the wiper blade and had her wheels back 30 minutes later.

I never took my gun off unless I was in the shower or asleep.  

https://encrypted-tbn3.gstatic.com/images?q=tbn:ANd9GcRsgSKdhFPoa4X3DepGlSQIwFneENXhuqOC0whG8y3YlasU2_l4
true, i think shoes was in Memphis when he took that pic.

Link Posted: 12/28/2012 12:06:03 AM EDT
[#15]
Memphis does have one of the best zoo's in the country.

The Childrens' Museum is great for kids.

You could see a great college soccer game (Men or Women) out east if the season were different.

If you want murder, mayhem, and disease there are places to go. If you want to avoid murder, mayhem, and disease it's not too hard.
Link Posted: 12/28/2012 4:09:40 AM EDT
[#16]
Wow, didn't realize there was this many girls on this site.

Link Posted: 12/28/2012 6:10:53 AM EDT
[#17]
A couple guys were sitting on an airplane. One seemed very nervous; biting his nails, sweating. The other guy says “hey pal, what’s the matter?”

“Oh man, I just found out my company’s transferring me to Memphis. I’m scared to death”.

“Why?”

“I keep hearing how dangerous it is. Crime, shootings, carjackings, gangs. I hear it’s not safe to go anywhere”.

The second guy says “Oh, it’s not as bad as the media says it is. I’ve lived in Memphis all my life. Here’s what you do. Find a nice home, enroll your kids in a good private school and mind your own business. You’ll be just fine.”

The nervous guy says “well, I guess I can take your word for it. What do you do there in Memphis?”

“Me? I’m a tailgunner on a bread truck”.

Link Posted: 12/28/2012 6:21:48 AM EDT
[#18]
When I have  co workers come in from out of town, I have them stay at the Garden Inn in Southaven so I can pick them up and drop them off on my way to work. Every now and then the corp travel people will put them near the airport lol.

If you stay at the Hampton on Beale, the Peabody, or any of those in that area, you'll be fine. Think of it like New Orleans.

My entire adult working career has been spent in an area between Brooks/55, Lamar/Democrat, Raines/Mendenhall, and the old Orgill Brothers. I guess you get used to it. Areas that I don't worry about make people from out of town curl up in the floor and make sure the doors are locked.

Link Posted: 12/28/2012 6:22:32 AM EDT
[#19]
Hilton in Germantown.

everywhere else is bad.

Also eat at the commissary.
Link Posted: 12/28/2012 6:34:45 AM EDT
[#20]
Definatley remember Southaven Not Whitehaven. I got off at the wrong exit.
Link Posted: 12/28/2012 7:58:31 PM EDT
[#21]

WHAT

THE

FUCK

I realize some of you are joking, but for the rest of you, wow

Maybe I just am magically staying in the sacred area of downtown, but the sketchiest thing I have experienced was just a few minutes ago a harmless old man asking for 70 cents from my brother and I on our way back from Beale street.

My family walked a mile to the civil rights museum and saw a few people, several of which, GASP were friendly and said hello!

Memphis isn't NEARLY as bad as you claim.  St. Louis and Washington D.C. (Which I've been to) are worse (albeit still not that bad!)
Link Posted: 12/28/2012 8:01:46 PM EDT
[#22]
Take guns and situational awareness, eat bar b que (Rendezvous) and then GTFO.

Link Posted: 12/28/2012 8:11:44 PM EDT
[#23]

Quoted:

WHAT

THE

FUCK

Maybe I just am magically staying in the sacred area of downtown, but the sketchiest thing I have experienced was just a few minutes ago a harmless old man asking for 70 cents from my brother and I on our way back from Beale street.

My family walked a mile to the civil rights museum and saw a few people, several of which, GASP were friendly and said hello!

Memphis isn't NEARLY as bad as you claim.  St. Louis and Washington D.C. (Which I've been to) are worse (albeit still not that bad!)

Link Posted: 12/28/2012 9:25:51 PM EDT
[#24]
Quoted:

WHAT

THE

FUCK

Go for a quick drive around town.  You were are in the tourist area that is well policed.  Memphis is one of those towns where you can go from half million dollar homes to crack houses and public housing complexes in 2 blocks or less.  Not to mention that roads tend to meander all over the place and change names from time to time.  So it is pretty easy to get turned around and end up in an area of town that a sane person has no business being in.
Link Posted: 12/28/2012 9:30:02 PM EDT
[#25]
Quoted:
Quoted:

WHAT

THE

FUCK

Go for a quick drive around town.  You were are in the tourist area that is well policed.  Memphis is one of those towns where you can go from half million dollar homes to crack houses and public housing complexes in 2 blocks or less.  Not to mention that roads tend to meander all over the place and change names from time to time.  So it is pretty easy to get turned around and end up in an area of town that a sane person has no business being in.

I disagree.  Don't go for a quick drive.  Just walk around.  I recommend visiting Tom Lee Park to view the river front.  Tomorrow around 6-9pm is a great time.
Link Posted: 12/28/2012 9:57:53 PM EDT
[#26]
If you wan't to be cheap and safe stay at the Hampton Inn in Marion AR. 12 miles away from downtown, the river keeps most of the riff raff away.
Link Posted: 12/28/2012 10:23:58 PM EDT
[#27]

Quoted:

Quoted:

Quoted:

WHAT

THE

FUCK

I disagree.  Don't go for a quick drive.  Just walk around.  I recommend visiting Tom Lee Park to view the river front.  Tomorrow around 6-9pm is a great time.

Yes, Beale is well policed (Tom Lee Park is at the end of Beale overlooking the river). But if you wander very far from there, Memphis goes downhill quick. I have been offered drugs for sale, had prostitutes solicite me, bums hit me up and that's just walking from parking on Union to Beale. If you think someone unfamiliar with Memphis can't get in trouble in a city that is always in the top 5 most violent city, you're delusional.

OP is obviously unfamiliar with the area and could get in trouble quick. I haven't been to the downtown area in years and that was a group of 5 male friends.

I got my CCW for 2 reasons 1) Blitz308's shootout and 2) I have to take my wife to an MD in Cordova and I will not go to Memphis without a gun.
Page / 3
Next Page Arrow Left
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top