Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Page / 5
Link Posted: 6/26/2014 4:12:33 PM EDT
[#1]
Given the stories about how they actually treat our troops (charging for stuff) for decades, I certainly will not have anything to do with them.
Link Posted: 6/26/2014 4:13:30 PM EDT
[#2]
Discussion ForumsJump to Quoted PostQuote History
Quoted:
Red Cross is the worst Blood Bank you can give too.
View Quote

+1 Please check out alternative organizations.
Link Posted: 6/26/2014 4:16:27 PM EDT
[#3]
Quoted:
Given the stories about how they actually treat our troops (charging for stuff) for decades, I certainly will not have anything to do with them.
View Quote

seriously????
Link Posted: 6/26/2014 4:20:06 PM EDT
[#4]
I gave last week.  When getting on the recliner I had to adjust my CCW a bit, the lady attending me struck up a conversation about CCW and what she and her hubby carried when she noticed it.  Two others piped in about having their CCW as well.  God Bless Idaho.
Link Posted: 6/26/2014 4:22:31 PM EDT
[#5]
Quoted:

seriously????
View Quote View All Quotes
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

seriously????

Yes. Folks here have reported their fathers/grandfathers being charged a nickel for a pencil stub to write home with, for writing paper, for coffee and donuts, and so on. Same for vets of korea, nam, and yes, middle east conflicts.
All while the Salvation Army does that stuff for free.

Someone here even told about RC stealing baked goods from their company kitchens and selling them to the troops.

Another story was about the salvation army arrived several days ahead of hurricanes to help with evacuations, while the RC didn't arrive for several days AFTER.
Link Posted: 6/26/2014 4:28:24 PM EDT
[#6]
Are the red cross the guys who like to sell shit to soldiers on the field and were always in line on payday to collect their "donations".

I remember a thread about them and people were saying they stole food and coffee off the trucks (.mil) and sold them to the soldiers themselves.

Am I daft or does  anyone else remember that?
Link Posted: 6/26/2014 4:33:37 PM EDT
[#7]
Quoted:

Lots of folks are like that.  You really do get used to it though.  So very few eligible people donate it's really a shame.  AFAIK people don't die from a lack of blood, but I know it's a constant struggle to maintain supplies.  Now they lost a reliable donor--over stupidity.  
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
I'm VERY afraid of needles getting put in me to the point where I can get so anxious I puke(sometimes). But now I can just say I don't donate because they don't allow conceal carry

Lots of folks are like that.  You really do get used to it though.  So very few eligible people donate it's really a shame.  AFAIK people don't die from a lack of blood, but I know it's a constant struggle to maintain supplies.  Now they lost a reliable donor--over stupidity.  

Sell your plasma instead. Double win, people get their plasma and you get beer/ammo money.

Link Posted: 6/26/2014 4:35:02 PM EDT
[#8]
Quoted:
Are the red cross the guys who like to sell shit to soldiers on the field and were always in line on payday to collect their "donations".

I remember a thread about them and people were saying they stole food and coffee off the trucks (.mil) and sold them to the soldiers themselves.

Am I daft or does  anyone else remember that?
View Quote

I remember reading multiple accounts in that discussion. It made me disgusted.

Posted Via AR15.Com Mobile
Link Posted: 6/26/2014 4:40:23 PM EDT
[#9]
Quoted:

I carry at the doctor's office. Why wouldn't you carry at the doctor's office?
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
Just curious, who goes to the doctor's office CCW for their annual physical?

I carry at the doctor's office. Why wouldn't you carry at the doctor's office?

In SC it's written into the CC laws that you can't carry in medical offices and hospitals.  My doctor would be cool with it but not some of her partners in the practice. My dentist don't care and I CC there.  When I go to the skin doctor I carry because he wants to see if I have a new weapon. We end up talking until the nurses make him go to his next appt.
Link Posted: 6/26/2014 4:44:32 PM EDT
[#10]
Quoted:
Is the Red Cross a business?
View Quote

Of course it is.
Link Posted: 6/26/2014 4:44:41 PM EDT
[#11]
TRUTH - I went over with our Blood Banking Officer a couple of years ago to be a fly on the wall while a deal was to be made for standby units for a liver surgery.  I was the enlisted guy so I was to clam up while the BBO did her thing.

One thing stuck out, the RC dude said he would be glad to help us, but we had to allow him to hold a blood drive on base

FUCK!!!  We already do those all the time to support ourselves, dependants, and retirees!!

They fucking want to take our blood and charge us for it to save our friends, families, and those who already served

No love for RC, at all!!!
Link Posted: 6/26/2014 4:46:51 PM EDT
[#12]
Those ass hats have been gun haters at least since when Bob Dole was running for POTUS.
Link Posted: 6/26/2014 4:54:13 PM EDT
[#13]
I don't recall LifeSouth having that policy.

They're local to Georgia, Alabama and Florida.

Maybe there's a regional one in Illinois that you can go to instead.

Isn't the Red Cross some kind of public - private partnership kinda like Fannie Mae? Are they allowed to restrict you since it's a quasi-government facility?
Link Posted: 6/26/2014 5:25:31 PM EDT
[#14]
Link Posted: 6/26/2014 5:33:03 PM EDT
[#15]
Link Posted: 6/26/2014 5:38:15 PM EDT
[#16]
Having grown up in Europe, they won't me donate my blood.  Something about having mad cow disease.  Makes me feel bad because i sure don't feel mad, or bovine-ly... ;)

Some day, perhaps
http://www.huffingtonpost.co.uk/2012/09/12/cjd-and-mad-cow-blood-test_n_1877360.html
Link Posted: 6/26/2014 5:42:01 PM EDT
[#17]
Quoted:

Perhaps I'll do that--but with your permission I'll make sure it says to stop after 3+ gallons is reached.  I'd like to say more.  
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
<snip>

OP, if you feel so strongly about not giving blood due to the sign, that's your right. Please be so kind as to carry a properly witnessed card next to your driver's license that refuses blood transfusion, lest someone accidentally give you blood steeped in the anti-gunnery of the Red Cross.

There are lots of reasons not to donate. This one takes some impressive mental gymnastics.

Perhaps I'll do that--but with your permission I'll make sure it says to stop after 3+ gallons is reached.  I'd like to say more.  

Yeah, I was bumping on 6 gallons with UBS when their sign went up after Sandy Hook. I was adamant about why I quit. O-,CMV- baby donor, which is split 4 ways because newborns are so small. Sorry kids, its UBS's call.
I think I've a pint or two back from the system that gave me nothing more than a tee shirt for years and years.
Link Posted: 6/26/2014 5:49:23 PM EDT
[#18]
Quoted:
The last time I got talked into donating blood (a few years ago), those vampires took about a gallon out of me I think.

For about three days after I couldn't walk more than twenty feet without feeling tired out like a 90 year old man.

View Quote

Link Posted: 6/26/2014 5:53:45 PM EDT
[#19]
You should write to them, so there's a record.  Just telling the phone person isn't going to generate much of a record of outcry.
Link Posted: 6/26/2014 5:55:31 PM EDT
[#20]
Quoted:
Just curious, who goes to the doctor's office CCW for their annual physical?
View Quote

Fanny pack. After 13 years of marriage I don't really care if people think I look like a homo.
Link Posted: 6/26/2014 6:03:46 PM EDT
[#21]
Quoted:
View Quote

Yes

That makes a lot of fucking money
Link Posted: 6/26/2014 6:07:55 PM EDT
[#22]
They don't want my blood.  Ever.  I apparently spent too much time in Europe during the 90s and may spontaneously break out with mad cow disease at any moment.  

Oh well, fuck them.  Unfortunately every blood bank uses their "guidelines" so I can't even donate to the Armed Services Blood Program.  
Link Posted: 6/26/2014 6:33:06 PM EDT
[#23]
Quoted:

Sell your plasma instead. Double win, people get their plasma and you get beer/ammo money.

View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:
I'm VERY afraid of needles getting put in me to the point where I can get so anxious I puke(sometimes). But now I can just say I don't donate because they don't allow conceal carry

When I worked as a phlebotomist in a plasma lab, most of it was sold to cosmetic companies.
Link Posted: 6/26/2014 6:37:25 PM EDT
[#24]
Quoted:

Of course it is.
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

Of course it is.

A google search brings up some interesting articles, too;
http://www.damninteresting.com/retired/can-we-trust-the-red-cross/

According to Richard M. Walden (president and CEO of Operation USA), it is estimated that 70% of the $1.2 Billion donated to Katrina-related donations went to the Red Cross, yet the Red Cross is fully reimbursed by the government for any shelters or emergency services they provide. Repeatedly, the Red Cross has run into trouble for spending much less on disaster recovery than they collect, shuffling the extra funds into their "national disaster account," where it can be used for purposes other than that it was collected for. That's the sort of trouble they saw in the aftermath of the 1989 San Francisco Bay Area earthquake, and after 9/11.

Despite landing in trouble for soliciting more donations than they need and squirreling the rest away, the Red Cross continues to operate this way. The organization makes a total of about $3 billion annually, about half of which is from selling donated blood. Some of this surplus money ends up in disaster relief, but it seems that much does not. Last year alone, the Red Cross spent $111 million in fund raising, and their CEO Marsha Evans made just under $652,000. It seems the the main value they offer is the free help of their volunteer force.

http://abcnews.go.com/2020/story?id=123956

A wildfire in Alpine, just east of San Diego, destroyed homes, killed horses that panicked and ran into the fire, and injured one fireman. The Red Cross appealed for funds, and raised $400,000 for disaster relief. But months after the fire, little money had gone to victims.

Some fire victims received a few hundred dollars, but they say when they asked where the rest of the money was going, they couldn't get straight answers from the Red Cross. So they complained to County Supervisor Diane Jacob.

"The fire victims in Alpine feel they've been used," said Jacob, who started demanding answers from the Red Cross.

This led to publicity, and only then did the San Diego Red Cross tell the public the truth: Of the more than $400,000 raised, only $159,000 — less than half — was spent on the relief effort.

Even worse, of the $159,000 that was to support the victims, $105,000 went to general chapter expenses and overhead, like upgrading the office phone system and Red Cross vehicles.
Link Posted: 6/26/2014 6:42:11 PM EDT
[#25]
I'm O-, get called about twice a week it seems.

Hmmm....

Thanks for the update TBK.
Link Posted: 6/26/2014 6:51:18 PM EDT
[#26]
I clicked on the link thinking this would be another one of those "OP had sex with a monkey, for money, in Zimbabwe, since 1986" threads, or whatever the questions they ask again on the blood donor checklist
Link Posted: 6/26/2014 6:59:17 PM EDT
[#27]
This is my Fathers experience with the Red Cross.  This if from an email that he sent out last year.

I know that the TV Ads are emotional and give you the impression that they are helping people, however, from my own personal experience with the
Red Cross in 1969, let’s just say they have never gotten a dime from me since.  

I was in the Army and trying to get home to be with my dying Grandfather
-I went to the Red Cross for some kind of help, not only did they not help but got in the way and made it harder for me to get home.
-they didn’t feel this was in their guidelines and caused interference with my Company Commander
- I had to get a Sergeant Major to be my advocate to the Company Commander to counter what they had communicated to the CO in order to get home.

Red Cross – NOT A DIME FROM ME – THEY CAN ROT IN Hxxx!!!!!
View Quote

Link Posted: 6/26/2014 7:18:00 PM EDT
[#28]
Try a private donation? There might be a docs office that would take it, and be ok with the CCW.
Link Posted: 6/26/2014 8:14:53 PM EDT
[#29]

Not for profit my ass.

Pint of blood avg $200-600 for patients.

- - - -

Relative was working as an RN for a blood donation drive.  Incentive was 4 hours vacation time for every pint donated and credited to that person.

You get a t-shirt and get nagged from here on out....they get vacation time.  

!@#$ that altruistic bs.  

Pay me bitches!

- - - -

Blood Money: what you didn't know about your blood donation

http://www.wptv.com/news/local-news/investigations/blood-money-what-you-didnt-know-about-your-blood-donation

Red Cross to Charge More for Blood
http://abcnews.go.com/Health/story?id=117431

Link Posted: 6/26/2014 9:07:56 PM EDT
[#30]
Just put your blood in a ziplock bag and leave it at the door, problem solved.
Link Posted: 6/27/2014 10:11:21 AM EDT
[#31]
The red cross blood donation process and the setup as a whole has always been fine for me.

Red cross disaster relief has been a different story.

During Katrina, they were not one of the first on the scene and on the ground.

Credit goes to the SALVATION ARMY for that.

My father got helped by the Red Cross International to immigrate to America and also find his relatives after the end of WWII and after the crushing of the 1956 revolution.

The Red Cross International......has been good overall, the American red cross has been 50/50 so far.

Link Posted: 7/8/2014 9:30:40 PM EDT
[#32]
Link Posted: 7/8/2014 10:07:41 PM EDT
[#33]
Thanks for the update; hers is not the kind of response I would have expected from someone doing drone calls. I hope your situation becomes a positive motivator for change at the local office.
Link Posted: 7/8/2014 10:13:59 PM EDT
[#34]
Site staff with 100,000+ posts, and he doesn't know to put the updates in the original OP

Link Posted: 7/8/2014 10:20:42 PM EDT
[#35]
Quoted:

Yes. Folks here have reported their fathers/grandfathers being charged a nickel for a pencil stub to write home with, for writing paper, for coffee and donuts, and so on. Same for vets of korea, nam, and yes, middle east conflicts.

Someone here even told about RC stealing baked goods from their company kitchens and selling them to the troops.

Another story was about the salvation army arrived several days ahead of hurricanes to help with evacuations, while the RC didn't arrive for several days AFTER.
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:

seriously????

My uncle told me similar stories - one about paying for smokes from them in the Pacific during WWII only to find a note stuffed inside the wrapper from a soldiers family.
Link Posted: 7/8/2014 10:27:30 PM EDT
[#36]
Being a Brit and having visited there several times since I moved here 23 years ago, I am not allowed to donate.  Good for you on trying to find a way to be able to donate and maybe get them to remove their signs.
Link Posted: 7/8/2014 10:29:49 PM EDT
[#37]
Link Posted: 7/8/2014 10:30:15 PM EDT
[#38]
Quoted:
Site staff with 100,000+ posts, and he doesn't know to put the updates in the original OP

View Quote

Link Posted: 7/8/2014 10:33:21 PM EDT
[#39]
I need to start donating blood.  I'm 32 and have never donated.  I don't even know my blood-type.
Link Posted: 7/8/2014 10:35:25 PM EDT
[#40]
At least your objection is on record and they have a note of it.  If enough people say the same thing they might reconsider.
Link Posted: 7/8/2014 10:41:08 PM EDT
[#41]
Link Posted: 7/8/2014 10:46:32 PM EDT
[#42]
Quoted:
Hahahahaha..... there's an American Red Cross ad at the bottom of my arfcom page.
View Quote

I have that too
Link Posted: 7/8/2014 10:48:15 PM EDT
[#43]
Sounds like you explained it rationally and when it's put like that, it's hard to argue with.
Link Posted: 7/8/2014 10:56:33 PM EDT
[#44]
Quoted:
Sounds like you explained it rationally and when it's put like that, it's hard to argue with.
View Quote

Not very GD like.  

Link Posted: 7/8/2014 11:03:19 PM EDT
[#45]
Link Posted: 7/8/2014 11:17:10 PM EDT
[#46]
In....
Link Posted: 7/8/2014 11:25:23 PM EDT
[#47]
Quoted:
View Quote

Yes, they sell the donated blood.
Link Posted: 7/8/2014 11:29:15 PM EDT
[#48]
Beekeeper, thanks for the update. I don't donate blood. Never have. Never will. My veins are tricksy things. Whenever I've had to go for blood work I end up with bruises up and down my forearms, making me looking like a junkie, after 20-30 minutes of them trying to find a halfway decent vein. It's especially awkward in the summer to have all those bruises.
Link Posted: 7/8/2014 11:34:26 PM EDT
[#49]
Quoted:
They do die, yup.

All the more reason you'd think the Red Cross would seek to eliminate barriers to donation rather than create them.
View Quote

"Congratulations,  you're alive! You've also contracted Hep B and HIV!"

I'll take a safe supply instead.
Link Posted: 7/8/2014 11:40:02 PM EDT
[#50]
And with their reluctance to say how they spent Katrina donations ...
Page / 5
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top