Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Page / 7
Link Posted: 12/14/2016 4:08:10 PM EDT
[#1]
Discussion ForumsJump to Quoted PostQuote History
Quoted:
I wonder how long it's going to be before the remaining repair guys have to attend some training class where they're taught what YouTube is, and how it can get you fired.  
View Quote

Comcast has always had a bad reputation for their customer service. They play those commercials now about how they employ a billion vets, people love working for them, they're a part of the community, etc. Also have that guarantee if they miss a half hour window or whatever for their appointments, they'll credit you on your next bill.

These guys, whether right or wrong, didn't help that.
Link Posted: 12/14/2016 4:10:19 PM EDT
[#2]
Deploying more cones or a sign prior to the hill wouldn't have made a difference in the average driver's speed.  A lot of people don't slow down for hazards or move over for emergency vehicles anymore.  Most people won't even observe and process the warning mentally before actually seeing the truck in the road.  I've seen drivers on a 3 lane interstate at 2 AM not move to the left for a police officer on the shoulder.  This is why manufacturers are adding automatic brakes and lane guidance, etc.  

Cones prior to the hill crest would've had some of those morons blindly entering the oncoming lane, because slowing down simply isn't an option when you have the patience of a 5 year old.  The entitled attitude that a lot of people turn on when driving is disturbing.  

Link Posted: 12/14/2016 4:11:48 PM EDT
[#3]
Quoted:
Deploying more cones or a sign prior to the hill wouldn't have made a difference in the average driver's speed.  A lot of people don't slow down for hazards or move over for emergency vehicles anymore.  Most people won't even observe and process the warning mentally before actually seeing the truck in the road.  I've seen drivers on a 3 lane interstate at 2 AM not move to the left for a police officer on the shoulder.  This is why manufacturers are adding automatic brakes and lane guidance, etc.  

Cones prior to the hill crest would've had some of those morons blindly entering the oncoming lane, because slowing down simply isn't an option when you have the patience of a 5 year old.  The entitled attitude that a lot of people turn on when driving is disturbing.  
View Quote

So what's it like working for Comcast?

Link Posted: 12/14/2016 4:18:23 PM EDT
[#4]
Comcast will pay out. . . I'd be surprised if they weren't reaching out out to these people proactively to cut some checks.

Million dollar customer service marketing campaign reduced to nothing because of some "non-customer facing" drivers and some idiot with a camera phone.

Attachment Attached File
Link Posted: 12/14/2016 4:25:53 PM EDT
[#5]

Fuck comcunt!!!!

I was a Flagger at one of my jobs. There are RULES for closing a lane on a roadway. They fucked up on everything having to do with the Safety of themselves and the drivers
on the road. Signs warning of slow speed, workers ahead, lane closed ahead, what lane is closed, left or right on each direction of the road!!! and then what distance the signs and cones
have to be for that speed limit!  And in this situation they should have had 2 flaggers out there. Fuck them!!!!

Yes the idiots driving too fast for conditions! I know, been almost hit a few times and have thrown my sign at one car for them not paying attention.

Link Posted: 12/14/2016 4:28:03 PM EDT
[#6]
Quoted:

Fuck comcunt!!!!

I was a Flagger at one of my jobs. There are RULES for closing a lane on a roadway. They fucked up on everything having to do with the Safety of themselves and the drivers
on the road. Signs warning of slow speed, workers ahead, lane closed ahead, what lane is closed, left or right on each direction of the road!!! and then what distance the signs and cones
have to be for that speed limit!  And in this situation they should have had 2 flaggers out there. Fuck them!!!!

Yes the idiots driving too fast for conditions! I know, been almost hit a few times and have thrown my sign at one car for them not paying attention.

View Quote

I agree, but half the tards on here lay all blame on everyone but the comcast d-bag.

Link Posted: 12/14/2016 4:28:21 PM EDT
[#7]
UPDATE: Comcast has issued a statement apologizing for this week’s incident.

“When I watched this video I was very concerned by what I saw,” says Ed Marchetti, SVP of Technical Operations, Comcast Cable, in a statement emailed to Consumerist. “Our employees should always protect people and treat them with respect no matter what the situation. Safety matters most – especially in dangerous weather conditions like this.

“We are actively investigating what happened when our technicians were on site to restore services during an outage and we will reach out to those who were impacted by this incident.

“Within the next 24-48 hours, my team leaders will meet with our technicians across our company to use this as an example of how important it is to make everyone’s safety a priority in everything we do.

“And just as important, there’s no place for disrespect – treating people the right way is the only way to work.”
Link Posted: 12/14/2016 4:30:05 PM EDT
[#8]
Quoted:

View Quote View All Quotes
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

That job looks boring.  Plus, having to deal with situations like that?  No, thanks.
Link Posted: 12/14/2016 4:37:35 PM EDT
[#9]
Puttin these numb nuts on the news.
Link Posted: 12/14/2016 4:39:49 PM EDT
[#10]
I hope Mike Pence knows how to drive on icy roads since his people clearly don't.
Link Posted: 12/14/2016 4:43:28 PM EDT
[#11]

Link Posted: 12/14/2016 4:47:51 PM EDT
[#12]
Sorry, not blaming Comcast for this one.  I'm blaming the assholes flying over a blind frozen hill far too fast.  They would have hit a stopped school bus, someone trying to turn into their driveway, or any slow moving vehicle.  Absolutely zero excuse to drive like that when roads are in that condition.  Video man should have put the phone down and called the Police if he had an issue.  Much easier for them to notify PW, county or state that the road conditions are dangerous and they need to be treated.
Link Posted: 12/14/2016 4:48:51 PM EDT
[#13]
Quoted:

Fuck comcunt!!!!

View Quote

Flaggers? Are you kidding?
Link Posted: 12/14/2016 4:57:31 PM EDT
[#14]
Flaggers, signage and more cones, etc.....

Well, some of you have never stopped to think about, "maybe it's a emergency repair."    Perhaps later, we could debate if Cable TV qualifies.  

But sure....scheduled maintenance and planned upgrades etc..... could be scheduled with more help.  However, I don't think that is the case here.

Even those who have mentioned calling the cops don't understand that the utility companies have "emergency permit rights to close down lanes."  As for the cops responding.....you want them to act as a flagman, so that the entire sector is down one officer while the CABLE CO. fixes shit?

Really.....stuff could be nicer.  But, SLOW THE HELL DOWN!

Humm.....assign a $25 an hour flagman to every truck.  And, pass the costs onto cable subscribers.  That'll be a wonderful jobs program.  Rrrrrright.

Aloha, Mark
Link Posted: 12/14/2016 4:58:39 PM EDT
[#15]
Quoted:

Well, some of you have never stopped to think about, "maybe it's a emergency repair."    Perhaps later, we could debate if Cable TV qualifies.  

But sure....scheduled maintenance and planned upgrades etc..... could be scheduled with more help.  However, I don't think that is the case here.

Even those who have mentioned calling the cops don't understand that the utility companies have "emergency permit rights to close down lanes."  As for the cops responding.....you want them to act as a flagman, so that the entire sector is down one officer while the CABLE CO. fixes shit?

Humm.....assign a $25 an hour flagman to every truck.  And, pass the costs onto cable subscribers.  That'll be a wonderful jobs program.  Rrrrrright.

Aloha, Mark
View Quote

PD has the ability to notify the appropriate people to tend to the roadway.  They can also tell Comcast to leave worst case scenario.
Link Posted: 12/14/2016 5:03:41 PM EDT
[#16]
Quoted:

Aloha, Mark
View Quote

ummmmmm wat?
Link Posted: 12/14/2016 5:04:18 PM EDT
[#17]
Quoted:

Aloha, Mark
View Quote

Common sense would indicate that if your road closure was causes multiple serious issues you should have stopped work, moved your truck, and called the supervisor on what to do.  No matter if you were following policy or not.
Link Posted: 12/14/2016 5:06:01 PM EDT
[#18]
That truck's tires were as old as the truck! He was floating the whole time.
Link Posted: 12/14/2016 5:10:00 PM EDT
[#19]

LOL

Putting a Bigot on the News!
Link Posted: 12/14/2016 5:15:54 PM EDT
[#20]
Quoted:
How about not driving too fast for the conditions? "Waa WAaa its not my fault" How about if you can't fucking stop in time, you're going too fast.Do you need the government to put extra cones out for you, or are you capable of thinking for yourself and how fast you are driving?
View Quote

And what about the poor schmuck sitting there stuck in between the Comcast moron and the moron driving too fast?  How exactly is it his fault? How does he avoid this mess?
Link Posted: 12/14/2016 5:17:09 PM EDT
[#21]
Quoted:

Please explain the smart way to do it.
View Quote

I would think using a truck that could park off the road next to the box? 4wd maybe.
Maybe not locate the box so that you have to close the road to work on it?
It's comcast cable. Not a ruptured gas line. Not really an emergency situation IMO.
Link Posted: 12/14/2016 5:23:59 PM EDT
[#22]
Quoted:
Blame to go around, but the comcast drivers were putting their lives and trucks at risk for no reason other then blind adherence to their protocol. They should have parked further down the road and/or set out more cones further up the hill.

Drivers shoudl have adapted to shitty conditions, comcast should have adapted to shitty drivers.
View Quote

Exactly! Once the first car went off the road, if the workers had even a shred of decency, they would have stopped with their precious cable work and adjusted their cone spread. But no, muh cablz!

Is it their fault the first car went off the road, no. But after it did it totally changed the dynamic of the traffic safety.
Link Posted: 12/14/2016 5:25:29 PM EDT
[#23]
Dumbass
Link Posted: 12/14/2016 5:30:18 PM EDT
[#24]
Quoted:

Comcast has always had a bad reputation for their customer service. They play those commercials now about how they employ a billion vets, people love working for them, they're a part of the community, etc. Also have that guarantee if they miss a half hour window or whatever for their appointments, they'll credit you on your next bill.

These guys, whether right or wrong, didn't help that.
View Quote

The exact people BITCHING AND CRYING about the comcast guys in this clip for doing their job would be the exact same people BITCHING AND CRYING about the comcast guys in this clip NOT doing their job becasue their fucking internet and msnbc didn't work.

Mah_lee, you don't watch MSNBC do you?
Link Posted: 12/14/2016 5:32:09 PM EDT
[#25]
Quoted:

PD has the ability to notify the appropriate people to tend to the roadway.  They can also tell Comcast to leave worst case scenario.
View Quote

ABILITY does NOT mean that someone will approve.  Nor that, even at time and a half, that anyone will answer their phone from their supervisor on their day off.  Nor guarantee that someone will respond in a timely manner.

Then, YES.  In a worst case senario the PD can shut down an unsafe situation.  Have you ever tried it and gotten a "good" response?

"Saftey issues," are subject to interpretation and not always so cut and dry.   There are always monday morning quarterbacks who will disagree with most everything that a PO does or will do.

Hint: That might also include the Mayor, Mayor's wife, Council Person or Chief of Police who happend to get delayed OTW to a Christmas party.

Aloha, Mark
Link Posted: 12/14/2016 5:36:59 PM EDT
[#26]
60% fault of Comcast, 40% idiot drivers driving too fast.

I like the idiot at 53 seconds in her jammies standing right by the side of the icy road while a truck is barreling down the road way too fast.  Genius.
Link Posted: 12/14/2016 5:46:34 PM EDT
[#27]
Quoted:
Lots of idiotisms.
Comcast guy:  We own this whole mofo so fuck off.  Our union rules say this for cones and signage.
Drivers: It's icy so we should not modify our driving habits one bit.
Cam guy: Don't do anything helpful like walk back to the crest of the hill and wave your arms.  Don't call the popo either.  
But do get in the Comcast clowns face and be a drama lama.
Chevy guy: Don't fix your brakes or let off the goddamned skinny pedal esp if you are in somebodies yard.  

Fail train unlocked.  
View Quote

lol...
Link Posted: 12/14/2016 5:51:10 PM EDT
[#28]
Was the guy in the Chevy truck on his way home from the bar?
Link Posted: 12/14/2016 6:03:52 PM EDT
[#29]
Quoted:

I would think using a truck that could park off the road next to the box? 4wd maybe.
Maybe not locate the box so that you have to close the road to work on it?
It's comcast cable. Not a ruptured gas line. Not really an emergency situation IMO.
View Quote
Well first off, you don't get to choose which vehicle you're issued. Much less which options.
Even if he did have a 4wd, you can bet the hissy fit would have gone up an order of magnitude if he left
A furrow in the amateur journalist's lawn. Same goes for parking in people's driveways. A definite no-no.
It's a safe bet the guy had nothing to do with the location of the box. typically that is based on easement 
Restrictions. 
While you have a good point that it is not a genuine emergency, it is an emergency to SOMEBODY, and I'd imagine
He had someone climbing up his ass to get it done. I don't know what their company policy is regarding hazardous 
Situations, but I know my employer can put a delay on your service for safety reasons. It only requires notifying
A manager.
Link Posted: 12/14/2016 6:04:15 PM EDT
[#30]
Quoted:
Weird because many people here have assured everyone that northerners are born driving on ice and are perfect at it.
View Quote

Unfortunately, we're getting more and more people who think ABS and traction control means they can drive like it's 72 and dry outside.

OTOH, watching people try to get going amuses me.  Apparently, they forgot that the throttle has more positions than 0, and foot to the floor.
Link Posted: 12/14/2016 6:06:05 PM EDT
[#31]
Quoted:

Exactly! Once the first car went off the road, if the workers had even a shred of decency, they would have stopped with their precious cable work and adjusted their cone spread. But no, muh cablz!

Is it their fault the first car went off the road, no. But after it did it totally changed the dynamic of the traffic safety.
View Quote

Do you honestly believe a couple of extra feet between his cones would have stopped this?
Link Posted: 12/14/2016 6:09:01 PM EDT
[#32]
Let some young mother and her infant child get killed and I bet the video will play a big part in the law suit.
Link Posted: 12/14/2016 6:30:24 PM EDT
[#33]
Quoted:

Unfortunately, we're getting more and more people who think ABS and traction control means they can drive like it's 72 and dry outside.

OTOH, watching people try to get going amuses me.  Apparently, they forgot that the throttle has more positions than 0, and foot to the floor.
View Quote

My tires are spinning and I can't control my steering.  Press pedal harder!
Link Posted: 12/14/2016 6:31:11 PM EDT
[#34]
Quoted:

I agree, but half the tards on here lay all blame on everyone but the comcast d-bag.
View Quote

ha, and he's calling us tards.
Link Posted: 12/14/2016 6:37:01 PM EDT
[#35]
Quoted:
Let some young mother and her infant child get killed and I bet the video will play a big part in the law suit.
View Quote

The law suit against the icy and snowy conditions? Ice snow won't pay out much, but it's worth a try I suppose.
Link Posted: 12/14/2016 6:41:13 PM EDT
[#36]
Quoted:

View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

I can't imagine why a long bed 2wd pickup with an empty bed and shit tires would suck in any weather other than "dry and sunny".
Link Posted: 12/14/2016 6:51:30 PM EDT
[#37]
Law suit against a person that knowingly puts his job ahead of the safety of others.
Link Posted: 12/14/2016 6:58:48 PM EDT
[#38]
Quoted:
View Quote

Sure....evidence is good to have.

Will the damages amount (even if the suit was settled out of court) depend on how fast the driver (assuming killed, mother and child in black p/u) was going at the time of the accident?  

Sure.

+++++

Then......

The sad part is......(and this is pie in the sky, lawsuits love them or leave them)....

Say that........a jury hears this case.   Say that, the jury found that the blame is assigned to:

10% police.....didn't respond fast enough or didn't do enough to prevent
25% Cable company
65% Driver (dead mother)

Well.....in some jurisdictions unless 35% or more fault was found to any one entity.    Then, too bad, they are not obligated to pay a cent.   *This 35% number might vary from place to place and even the law itself varys.  Then, some places have modified the law.  Saying that if one party goes bankrupt or is unable to pay for whatever good   reason, then the remaining "at fault entity" must pay the total judgement.  

Whatever....I ain't a lawyer.

And, even if you played with the numbers or law........was there CLEARLY someone responsible?

CLEARLY some here just hate the Cable Company and would not stop to bankrupt them.  

If just one child dies!  

Isn't that.........just like how some victims and families of victims of gun violence would like to assign blame (hoping for a sympathetic jury) while closing down a business/industry?

Not saying that I have the ultimate answer.  But, something to consider perhaps?

Aloha, Mark
Link Posted: 12/14/2016 7:09:31 PM EDT
[#39]
Quoted:

The exact people BITCHING AND CRYING about the comcast guys in this clip for doing their job would be the exact same people BITCHING AND CRYING about the comcast guys in this clip NOT doing their job becasue their fucking internet and msnbc didn't work.

Mah_lee, you don't watch MSNBC do you?
View Quote

You hit the fainting couch early today

Some people will always complain, but I think that it hurts comcast more to have a video like that (which could be seen by hundreds of thousands or millions of people) vs. the internet being out for
a small geographic area for an extra 10 minutes because they set up extra cones or whatever.

And not being some social retard when dealing with the public. Guy sounded like the worst, laziest stereotype of a union worker. *Guy being crushed 2 feet away, can be helped* "I'M ON BREAK ASSHOLE, NOT MY PROBLEM",
Link Posted: 12/14/2016 7:13:52 PM EDT
[#40]
Quoted:
Law suit against a person that knowingly puts his job ahead of the safety of others.
View Quote

It isn't Comcast's job to magically prevent people from inevitably driving too fast in snow and ice.  Happens every year.
Link Posted: 12/14/2016 7:15:20 PM EDT
[#41]
I think it is bullshit that the Comcast worker did not in any way attempt to adjust protocol since there was ice on the road because in his mind he is doing what he's supposed to and people should be driving cautiously while knowing for an absolute and proven fact that people are not going to use as much caution as necessary.

Almost paradoxical

I wonder if the rules he's citing about 1 cone per 10 mph is for ideal conditions. It seems a company like Comcast would have been smart enough to figure poor driving conditions + bocked road = danger.

We should all at least see a plausibility of partial guilt on the Comcast guys fault...
Link Posted: 12/14/2016 7:20:27 PM EDT
[#42]
Slow. The. Fuck. Down. It's like OK when we get 1/4in of snow. Fuckers crashing everywhere. Trust me, your bro truck with a 4 inch lift sucks just as much balls in the ice and snow as the chain smoking middle aged ladies mustang.
Link Posted: 12/14/2016 7:25:47 PM EDT
[#43]
Quoted:

You hit the fainting couch early today

Some people will always complain, but I think that it hurts comcast more to have a video like that (which could be seen by hundreds of thousands or millions of people) vs. the internet being out for
a small geographic area for an extra 10 minutes because they set up extra cones or whatever.

And not being some social retard when dealing with the public. Guy sounded like the worst, laziest stereotype of a union worker. *Guy being crushed 2 feet away, can be helped* "I'M ON BREAK ASSHOLE, NOT MY PROBLEM",
View Quote

This.
Link Posted: 12/14/2016 7:28:15 PM EDT
[#44]
Quoted:

Common sense would indicate that if your road closure was causes multiple serious issues you should have stopped work, moved your truck, and called the supervisor on what to do.  No matter if you were following policy or not.
View Quote

I agree, but sadly, many here don't.
Link Posted: 12/14/2016 7:32:34 PM EDT
[#45]
Quoted:

It isn't Comcast's job to magically prevent people from inevitably driving too fast in snow and ice.  Happens every year.
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

Nothing about it was magical.

As another poster said, the first car swerves off the road, "oh look at that D-bag going too fast"  The 6th car swerves off the road "oh shit, I need to move my truck!"
Link Posted: 12/14/2016 7:54:34 PM EDT
[#46]
I don't want to blame ComCast, but they are at fault. Total road closure of one lane without having anyone to guide or direct traffic with bonux points for after a blind hill. While this doesn't absolve people for bad driving in poor conditions it looks like a lot of people were driving normally not expecting to crest a hill and find the cable company completely blocked the lane with what looks to be <100ft of notice.
Link Posted: 12/14/2016 8:15:02 PM EDT
[#47]
People were driving way too fast. The dumbass stepping out in front of traffic definitely didn't help anything.
Link Posted: 12/14/2016 8:25:33 PM EDT
[#48]
And the car that got rear ended STILL managed to come to a complete stop on the roadway. The other drivers were idiots.
Link Posted: 12/14/2016 8:28:40 PM EDT
[#49]
Quoted:
Of course there's an old as shit chevy truck driving three times faster than he should be for the conditions.

I blame the yokels, not the cable guy.
View Quote

Link Posted: 12/14/2016 8:30:15 PM EDT
[#50]
I'm seriously surprised that nobody got out of their car and beat their asses after so many wrecks.

I'd be pissed and I don't even consider myself a road rager.

Page / 7
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top