Site Notices
Page / 3
Next Page Arrow Left
Link Posted: 9/7/2013 7:31:57 AM EDT
[#1]
Discussion ForumsJump to Quoted PostQuote History
Quoted:

If you're going that far, might as well add Huntsville, AL to the list:

- Dayton tire company plant off Wall-Triana, went on strike for month with even some violence (but no one dead AFAIK); strike got over, plant closed within a year.  Plant is pretty much empty right now, except I think they have one section they are using to upgrade US Army Blackhawks.
- Chrysler plant (or whoever Chrysler sold it to), also off Wall-Trian, long prolonged strike, finally got settled, plant closed within a year.  Plants been closed ever since and is to this day.
- Go by the Boeing plant between the airport runways; remind them of the hourly worker strike several years ago.  Most of those workers worked on the 787 program.  While they were on strike, 787 moved to the work to a non-union work shop.  Strike settled, went back to work on Friday, all but a very few got lay off notices the very next Monday.  Pretty much all hourly work at Boeing-Hsv is now dead as doornails.
- Swing by Oak Ridge, TN and the former Boeing plant there.  This used to be the largest Boeing-owned land operation for all of Boeing.  Hourly went on strike, strike settled, Boeing shut down all of Oak Ridge.  All hourly were let go, some salary and managers were offered jobs at other locations (like Huntsville and my former manager).

View Quote View All Quotes
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
Give me a small bus fleet and a day, I'll solve this.

Round up some influential VW employees and take them up to the barely-breathing (and only recently re-opened at all) UAW GM plant in Spring Hill.  Then swing over to Smyrna and show them the Nissan plant that's busier than a three-peckered goat and expanding.  On the way back to Chattanooga they can swing buy the old union Samsonite plant in Murfreesboro (closed) and the old union Eaton transmission plant in Shelbyville (abandoned).

If you're going that far, might as well add Huntsville, AL to the list:

- Dayton tire company plant off Wall-Triana, went on strike for month with even some violence (but no one dead AFAIK); strike got over, plant closed within a year.  Plant is pretty much empty right now, except I think they have one section they are using to upgrade US Army Blackhawks.
- Chrysler plant (or whoever Chrysler sold it to), also off Wall-Trian, long prolonged strike, finally got settled, plant closed within a year.  Plants been closed ever since and is to this day.
- Go by the Boeing plant between the airport runways; remind them of the hourly worker strike several years ago.  Most of those workers worked on the 787 program.  While they were on strike, 787 moved to the work to a non-union work shop.  Strike settled, went back to work on Friday, all but a very few got lay off notices the very next Monday.  Pretty much all hourly work at Boeing-Hsv is now dead as doornails.
- Swing by Oak Ridge, TN and the former Boeing plant there.  This used to be the largest Boeing-owned land operation for all of Boeing.  Hourly went on strike, strike settled, Boeing shut down all of Oak Ridge.  All hourly were let go, some salary and managers were offered jobs at other locations (like Huntsville and my former manager).

You could head to Union City and drive by the old Goodyear plant too.
Link Posted: 9/7/2013 7:32:56 AM EDT
[#2]
Link Posted: 9/7/2013 7:39:24 AM EDT
[#3]
There is a union on strike at a factory where I live.  

I don't know what their grievances might be, but I just can't seem to muster any sympathy for them.

They can thank other unions around the country for that.
Link Posted: 9/7/2013 7:47:00 AM EDT
[#4]
Some union thugs tried to unionize a local construction company here. Employees didn't want to. Union thugs destroyed about a mil worth of profit and equipment. One of the emplouyees had his face and chest burned with boling liquid.

We had people stabbed in the neck for telling unions no: http://nlpc.org/stories/2008/04/21/buffalo-local-members-arrested-conducting-reign-terror

Fuck unions.

Which reminds me. To the guy in Cheektowaga NY on George urban bulevard with NRA and CSEA sticker on his truck.   YOU ARE A DUMB CUNT I HOPE YOU GET STABBED IN THE EYE WITH A HERPES INFESTED AIDS DICK
Link Posted: 9/7/2013 7:47:12 AM EDT
[#5]
Link Posted: 9/7/2013 7:51:27 AM EDT
[#6]
Quoted:

/Amen

Rather than investing in a company they seemed hell bent to choke it to the point of starvation.

A rising tide lifts all boats is a foreign concept.

We've had a union at work for three decades without a problem. Recently a disgruntled employee became the union steward ... and the shit is getting real. He's drawing lines in the sand and the lawyers and HR types are lining up. Nice.

Limited resources, an important mission ... and now assholes.
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
German auto labor unions are quite different, they actually have a guy sitting on the board of the company and he is there to ensure that the union does its best to help the company. Cooperative instead of adversary attitude,  American union workers live in a different galaxy when it comes to that.

/Amen

Rather than investing in a company they seemed hell bent to choke it to the point of starvation.

A rising tide lifts all boats is a foreign concept.

We've had a union at work for three decades without a problem. Recently a disgruntled employee became the union steward ... and the shit is getting real. He's drawing lines in the sand and the lawyers and HR types are lining up. Nice.

Limited resources, an important mission ... and now assholes.

You better shut up and not complain. Here in Tonawanda plant people who openly questioned union leadership, were either run out or had "accidents" happen to them.
Link Posted: 9/7/2013 7:52:27 AM EDT
[#7]
oops wrong thread herp derp
Link Posted: 9/7/2013 7:57:41 AM EDT
[#8]
I hate to see unions anywhere, and hate that federal labor laws favor them they way they do.

I fully support employers' rights to fire whoever they please, and hope I'm on the jury if such an employer is ever accused of violating federal labor laws.

Link Posted: 9/7/2013 7:58:54 AM EDT
[#9]
Quoted:
Some union thugs tried to unionize a local construction company here. Employees didn't want to. Union thugs destroyed about a mil worth of profit and equipment. One of the emplouyees had his face and chest burned with boling liquid.

We had people stabbed in the neck for telling unions no: http://nlpc.org/stories/2008/04/21/buffalo-local-members-arrested-conducting-reign-terror

Fuck unions.

Which reminds me. To the guy in Cheektowaga NY on George urban bulevard with NRA and CSEA sticker on his truck.   YOU ARE A DUMB CUNT I HOPE YOU GET STABBED IN THE EYE WITH A HERPES INFESTED AIDS DICK
View Quote

Fuck that shit... I spent a little time working short-term contract security, mostly up in the NE, mostly labor-dispute stuff.  Despicable mother fuckers, the union lot.  

At least so far they've had the good sense not to try any rough stuff around these parts.
Link Posted: 9/7/2013 8:14:35 AM EDT
[#10]
Quoted:

Just don't drive with more than $5 and leave the jewelry at home. Forfeiture, yo. It happens.

Fuck Tennessee.  

View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:
Fire anyone who joins or attempts to recruit/organize.

This!  Keep Tennessee free.

Just don't drive with more than $5 and leave the jewelry at home. Forfeiture, yo. It happens.

Fuck Tennessee.  

That's big words for someone that doesn't list their state!
Link Posted: 9/7/2013 8:16:23 AM EDT
[#11]
Quoted:
The UAW came down and rabble roused a few time at the Princeton, Indiana Toyota plant, team members encouraged them to go pound sand elsewhere. Been pretty quiet as of late.
View Quote

Yeah, from what I hear, talk of unionization is not appreciated by very many people at that plant.
Link Posted: 9/7/2013 8:42:24 AM EDT
[#12]
Quoted:

Well said.
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
I think UAW is gonna get spanked, like they do at Nissan every few years.  Chattanooga is a red part of a red state.  And the first time some union goon makes a veiled threat he might end up spitting teeth.  

Think about this... you know how ornery Texans can be?  It took some Tennesseans looking for a fight to make Texas.  

Well said.

Many generations ago.  
Link Posted: 9/7/2013 10:48:52 AM EDT
[#13]
Quoted:

The UAW has been trying to gain ground in Tennessee since Nissan opened the Smyrna plant in the early 1980's.  They refuse to accept that Tennesseans see them for the worthless scum that they are.

ETA:  Guys coming here from northern states, to tell us we need to be doing things the way they do it in northern states?  
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
This bears watching... TN is on the short list for places the wife and i would consider moving to when I'm done with school.

I live ~50 miles outside one union hellhole, I don't want to move to another.

The UAW has been trying to gain ground in Tennessee since Nissan opened the Smyrna plant in the early 1980's.  They refuse to accept that Tennesseans see them for the worthless scum that they are.

ETA:  Guys coming here from northern states, to tell us we need to be doing things the way they do it in northern states?  

Not me, I like the South for everything it is, not anything it isn't.
Link Posted: 9/7/2013 11:04:24 AM EDT
[#14]
Quoted:

View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:

Fuck Tennessee.  

He has a point......TN is all about revenue, and has no hangups about stealing it any way they can. It isn't the tax paradise it's made out to be, unless your entire income is on a W2 from an employer at the end of the year.

I love my home state, warts and all, but it isn't perfect. That's why I look forward to moving back and working to make it better (read: more free).

Link Posted: 9/7/2013 11:08:20 AM EDT
[#15]
http://www.washingtonpost.com/wp-dyn/content/article/2007/04/16/AR2007041601649.html

I'm shocked at union employees that aren't fired on the spot for striking.

More than 500 security guards at the nation's only nuclear weapons assembly plant walked off the job just after midnight yesterday to protest what they said is a steep deterioration in job and retirement security since the government changed fitness standards for weapons-plant guards in response to the Sept. 11, 2001, terrorist attacks.
View Quote
Link Posted: 9/7/2013 11:11:09 AM EDT
[#16]
Call Wal-Mart.

They are to Unions what Navy Seals are to terrorists.
Link Posted: 9/7/2013 11:15:46 AM EDT
[#17]
Quoted:

Long winded version:
"The terminated employee had a confrontational attitude with management and caused a negative impact on productivity with most of the employees he interacted with."

Less wordy version:
"The terminated employee did not mesh well with our company's policies and goals, which created some problems."

Short and sweet:
"We tried, but the terminated employee just didn't work out."

Which of the above is not a legal cause for termination in Tennessee? (hint: they are all legal reasons to fire someone)
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:

Not familiar with labor laws, I see.  

The poster that you quoted is from Missouri.

Missouri follows the Employment-At-Will doctrine. This means that both the employer and employee can terminate the employment relationship at any time and for any reason, as long as there is no employment contract to the contrary, there is no discrimination under civil rights laws (based on race, color, age, national origin, religion, ancestry, sex, or physical/mental disability), no merit laws apply, or the state’s limited public policy exception does not apply.

In other words, even if there was a federal law protecting a union organizer, you can still be fired because the boss doesn't like you.

And that boss would be a fucking idiot. The NLRB would crawl up his ass so fast.

All of a sudden you hate this guy, right as he leading an organizing campaign.

You'd be better off firing him for cause with documentation of his violations.

Long winded version:
"The terminated employee had a confrontational attitude with management and caused a negative impact on productivity with most of the employees he interacted with."

Less wordy version:
"The terminated employee did not mesh well with our company's policies and goals, which created some problems."

Short and sweet:

Which of the above is not a legal cause for termination in Tennessee? (hint: they are all legal reasons to fire someone)

I agree those are all valid statements in an at will state. Doing it to a guy actively organizing may not be that simple of a matter.
Link Posted: 9/7/2013 11:20:00 AM EDT
[#18]
Quoted:
I hate to see unions anywhere, and hate that federal labor laws favor them they way they do.

I fully support employers' rights to fire whoever they please, and hope I'm on the jury if such an employer is ever accused of violating federal labor laws.

View Quote

Never goes to a jury. Goes through the NLRB for initial trial, appeal to circuit court, appeal to SCOTUS.

You can get a trial for a DFR/311 claim and that's about it.
Link Posted: 9/7/2013 11:35:20 AM EDT
[#19]

Quoted:

I really hate labor laws and unions.
View Quote

Link Posted: 9/7/2013 11:38:19 AM EDT
[#20]
Quoted:

Never goes to a jury. Goes through the NLRB

View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

Never goes to a jury. Goes through the NLRB

*scribbles down another alphabet agency to end when I'm POTUS*
Link Posted: 9/7/2013 12:35:49 PM EDT
[#21]
Quoted:
http://www.washingtonpost.com/wp-dyn/content/article/2007/04/16/AR2007041601649.html

View All Quotes
Quoted:

More than 500 security guards at the nation's only nuclear weapons assembly plant walked off the job just after midnight yesterday to protest what they said is a steep deterioration in job and retirement security since the government changed fitness standards for weapons-plant guards in response to the Sept. 11, 2001, terrorist attacks.

You can't fire them, but you can replace strikers.
Link Posted: 9/7/2013 1:21:21 PM EDT
[#22]
Quoted:

And I categorically disagree with that.  None of those things are legitimate roles of government according to our Constitution.

But at least you don't buy union-made stuff.  
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

I categorically disagree.  It is the government's place to regulate businesses to keep safe working conditions, equal pay for equal work, and a few other things.

And I categorically disagree with that.  None of those things are legitimate roles of government according to our Constitution.

My logic is simple, and comes from the 1800's.

I'm putting it under the General Welfare clause.  

People are basically greedy/evil.  If you let someone who is making money off of other people (e.g. employees) run unchecked they will fight to maximize profit, usually at the expense of the employees.  This is why things like monopolies and interlocking directorates are illegal.  People should be paid on how well they accomplish the job they're hired to do, not how well they suck up to management (my current company is horrible at this).

The bottom line is that the Founding Fathers built power vacuums into the Constitution, but nature abhors a vacuum.  Therefore, you find organizations rising to fill those power vacuums.  Organizations which are unregulated (unlike the gov't, in theory) and are therefore able to squash people's rights.  Like the unions do.
Link Posted: 9/7/2013 1:51:55 PM EDT
[#23]

Quoted:

It is the government's place to regulate businesses
View Quote

Congratulations! This is the stupidest post in GD today, and quite possibly a contender for 'stupidest post of the month, September 2013'.

Your award should arrive in the mail soon.

Link Posted: 9/7/2013 2:36:00 PM EDT
[#24]
Quoted:

People are basically greedy/evil.  If you let someone who is making money off of other people (e.g. employees) run unchecked they will fight to maximize profit, usually at the expense of the employees.  This is why things like monopolies and interlocking directorates are illegal.  People should be paid on how well they accomplish the job they're hired to do, not how well they suck up to management (my current company is horrible at this).

The bottom line is that the Founding Fathers built power vacuums into the Constitution, but nature abhors a vacuum.  Therefore, you find organizations rising to fill those power vacuums.  Organizations which are unregulated (unlike the gov't, in theory) and are therefore able to squash people's rights.  Like the unions do.
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:

I categorically disagree.  It is the government's place to regulate businesses to keep safe working conditions, equal pay for equal work, and a few other things.

And what union are you in?

These threads always bring out the uneducated.

Let me guess, you think that Burger King should pay the fry cook a living wage.

Txl
Link Posted: 9/7/2013 3:13:36 PM EDT
[#25]
Quoted:

Make no mistake, I agree with you 100%.

I believe in the freedom of any employee to join a union.

I believe in the freedom for any employee to fire anyone for any reason.

View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:

No kidding. We had a client years ago who had a union come in, I think he finally just closed shop and STILL got sued despite going out of business.  

I had a client sued for not paying his mother union wages for doing his books. he finally closed shop and went on disability. Adios union.

Wishful thinking guys.  I realize this is not legal.

Make no mistake, I agree with you 100%.

I believe in the freedom of any employee to join a union.

I believe in the freedom for any employee to fire anyone for any reason.

Does that mean I can fire my boss because I don't like his haircut? I think you meant employer in the part I highluighted.

Personally I think union membership should be 100% voluntary. You shoult NOT be forced to join a union in order to work at a particular company or at a particular location. I am completely opposed to the idea of "closed shop" practices where you are required to be a member of a union in order to do your job. I support the right of individuals to join a union if that is their personal choice, but I oppose the idea that a person can be compelled to join a union against their personal preference (freedom of association,  protected under the freedom of speech clause of the 1st Ammendment, as decided by SCOTUS in NAACP vs Alabama). The freedom to choose who you want to associate with also carries with it an implicit freedom to choose who you do not want to associate with. Being compelled to join a union abridges your right to not associate with a union if you don't want to.
Link Posted: 9/7/2013 5:18:26 PM EDT
[#26]
Link Posted: 9/7/2013 9:45:41 PM EDT
[#27]
Quoted:

Personally I think union membership should be 100% voluntary. You shoult NOT be forced to join a union in order to work at a particular company or at a particular location. I am completely opposed to the idea of "closed shop" practices where you are required to be a member of a union in order to do your job. I support the right of individuals to join a union if that is their personal choice, but I oppose the idea that a person can be compelled to join a union against their personal preference (freedom of association,  protected under the freedom of speech clause of the 1st Ammendment, as decided by SCOTUS in NAACP vs Alabama). The freedom to choose who you want to associate with also carries with it an implicit freedom to choose who you do not want to associate with. Being compelled to join a union abridges your right to not associate with a union if you don't want to.
View Quote

That is how things are in Tennessee.  If a union somehow makes it's way into a company, they cannot require all employees to be union members.  Membership in the union is a choice.

A coworker worked for a union company, several years ago.  He said the only reason he joined the union is that being a member gave him a vote on the annual contract between the company and the workers.  One year, it was past the date they normally voted on the contract, and he asked the union steward when they were going to vote on the new contract.  The steward replied that he didn't have to worry about that, since the union leadership had already settled on a new contract with the company.  He then told the steward that voting on the contract was the only reason he had joined, so (since they no longer allowed him to vote) he was quitting the union and would never again let them have any of his money.

The union steward started telling him that he could not quit the union, that once he was a member the union was entitled to a percentage of his pay(as payment for all they did for him and the other workers), and essentially told him he was shit out of luck on his idea that he could keep the union from getting his union dues.  He simply told the union steward "watch me", walked into the payroll office, told them he was no longer a member of the union, signed the form they handed him, and that was it.  The union lost a member, and the union never got another cent from his paycheck.

Some time later, business slowed down.  The company had other shops, and many of them were not union shops, so the union shops were the first to be closed when the company decided to adjust production to match the new market.
Link Posted: 9/7/2013 10:11:35 PM EDT
[#28]
Quoted:

View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:
This bears watching... TN is on the short list for places the wife and i would consider moving to when I'm done with school.

Unfortunately, we've seen plenty that moved here and then proceeded to tell us how everything was so much better in their home state (better food, better towns, better laws, etc) and that we should be more like their home state.  Many of them have been politely informed that since their home state was such a better place to live, they were more than welcome to move back home.

Worst one I can remember having to deal with, was a shop manager that moved here from PA, who would go on at length about how stupid southerners were, how they didn't know what good food was, how stupid the laws were, how easy we were to swindle on a real estate deal (because he got a house for half of what it would have cost in his home state), etc.  He was one of those wonderful managers that once he found out an employee actually liked doing a particular job, he would make certain they were never again allowed to do that particular job (happy workers were obviously goofing off). Last I heard, he moved to Delaware and it took him a year or so to sell the house he had here, because he couldn't find anyone stupid enough to pay what he was asking.
Link Posted: 9/7/2013 10:11:37 PM EDT
[#29]
Quoted:

That is how things are in Tennessee.  If a union somehow makes it's way into a company, they cannot require all employees to be union members.  Membership in the union is a choice.

A coworker worked for a union company, several years ago.  He said the only reason he joined the union is that being a member gave him a vote on the annual contract between the company and the workers.  One year, it was past the date they normally voted on the contract, and he asked the union steward when they were going to vote on the new contract.  The steward replied that he didn't have to worry about that, since the union leadership had already settled on a new contract with the company.  He then told the steward that voting on the contract was the only reason he had joined, so (since they no longer allowed him to vote) he was quitting the union and would never again let them have any of his money.

The union steward started telling him that he could not quit the union, that once he was a member the union was entitled to a percentage of his pay(as payment for all they did for him and the other workers), and essentially told him he was shit out of luck on his idea that he could keep the union from getting his union dues.  He simply told the union steward "watch me", walked into the payroll office, told them he was no longer a member of the union, signed the form they handed him, and that was it.  The union lost a member, and the union never got another cent from his paycheck.

Some time later, business slowed down.  The company had other shops, and many of them were not union shops, so the union shops were the first to be closed when the company decided to adjust production to match the new market.
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

What you described is an "agency fee shop." The union gets some $$$ for having to negotiate and represent you. Unlike "closed" or "union" shops (which were banned by Taft-Hartley, agency fee shops still exist.

Right to work lets people get around this last surviving shop and let's them keep their money.
Link Posted: 9/7/2013 10:41:50 PM EDT
[#30]
Quoted:

Long winded version:

Less wordy version:

Short and sweet:

View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:

The poster that you quoted is from Missouri.

Missouri follows the Employment-At-Will doctrine. This means that both the employer and employee can terminate the employment relationship at any time and for any reason, as long as there is no employment contract to the contrary, there is no discrimination under civil rights laws (based on race, color, age, national origin, religion, ancestry, sex, or physical/mental disability), no merit laws apply, or the state’s limited public policy exception does not apply.

In other words, even if there was a federal law protecting a union organizer, you can still be fired because the boss doesn't like you.

And that boss would be a fucking idiot. The NLRB would crawl up his ass so fast.

All of a sudden you hate this guy, right as he leading an organizing campaign.

You'd be better off firing him for cause with documentation of his violations.

Long winded version:

Less wordy version:

Short and sweet:

Tennessee law is trumped by Federal law. Fire an employee attempting to organize under another veil and you'll be writing a big check and complying with an injunction to reinstate them.

Link Posted: 9/7/2013 10:59:12 PM EDT
[#31]
Well this has been fun reading. Most of arfcom  GD doesn't know the difference between at will employment and right to work laws and prove it in every union thread that comes along.

Plenty of goons and asshattery to go around for both unions and industry. Neither side has much moral high ground over the other and history bears this out.

UAw"s been trying to organize in the state for decades with no luck, someone posts "The End is Near for Tennessee" and the outcome now's gonna be any different?
Link Posted: 9/8/2013 12:20:28 AM EDT
[#32]
Quoted:

Txl
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:

Txl

Maybe it's expecting too much from GD to have an intelligent response to a post that isn't in lockstep with every other groupthinking neckbeard on ARFCOM.

I've already made my opposition to unions quite clear.  But I guess reading comprehension is too much to ask for from GD as well.
Link Posted: 9/8/2013 12:22:45 AM EDT
[#33]
Quoted:

Don't bother feeding this troll. I have asked him 1000 times what he does for a living, he refuses to answer to this day.

He will ask a lot of questions and puff his chest a lot when it comes to the union hate but he never will step up with any info of his own.

He's a hit and run poster at best in the union/anti union threads.

Weak sauce.
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:

Txl

Don't bother feeding this troll. I have asked him 1000 times what he does for a living, he refuses to answer to this day.

He will ask a lot of questions and puff his chest a lot when it comes to the union hate but he never will step up with any info of his own.

He's a hit and run poster at best in the union/anti union threads.

Weak sauce.

Bah, fatigue poisons.  I replied to him.  

Went back to his post, unable to find Ignore button.
Link Posted: 9/8/2013 1:35:34 AM EDT
[#34]
Quoted:

View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

like this is just a state thing, it's full on coast to coast feeding frenzy.
Link Posted: 9/8/2013 1:38:35 AM EDT
[#35]
Quoted:

I would.

It's cheaper to make cars overseas and ship them.

Truth be known, you likely get a better car.
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
japs learned their lesson with the NUUMI plant.

they will close the plant before they go union.
and the employees know it.

I would.

Japan is looking at building new factories and manufacturing cars here for their domestic market, due to our cheap electricity via natural gas.
Link Posted: 9/8/2013 1:49:31 AM EDT
[#36]
Quoted:

Yeah, but those guys LEFT Tennessee for SOME reason to come to the promised land!!  :P
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:
I think UAW is gonna get spanked, like they do at Nissan every few years.  Chattanooga is a red part of a red state.  And the first time some union goon makes a veiled threat he might end up spitting teeth.  

Think about this... you know how ornery Texans can be?  It took some Tennesseans looking for a fight to make Texas.  

Yeah, but those guys LEFT Tennessee for SOME reason to come to the promised land!!  :P

640 acres
Link Posted: 9/8/2013 3:02:26 AM EDT
[#37]
Quoted:

Not necessary... see my quote above re: Texas.  
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
Get me the Pinkertons on line one!

Not necessary... see my quote above re: Texas.  

I'm a Tennessee Pinkerton. I'm ready, IM me.
Link Posted: 9/8/2013 3:02:46 AM EDT
[#38]
Quoted:

Japan is looking at building new factories and manufacturing cars here for their domestic market, due to our cheap electricity via natural gas.
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:

I would.

they willl keep building here for any number of reasons.  but I don't see them tolerating a union shop again.
Link Posted: 9/8/2013 6:25:55 PM EDT
[#39]

Quoted:

View All Quotes
Quoted:

Quoted:

Talked to a friend who works at VW in Chattanooga today, he expects the vote to succeed, he says a number of the managers came there from northern UAW-run plants, and once they didn't have the UAW keeping them in line, started going wild (such as the comment someone else made about if a manager found out someone liked a particular job, he'd never have it again).  An example being the layoffs they had, everybody laid off was over 40 or female, they didn't look at attendance or performance, someone just felt that young males were more likely to work hard.  He's not fond of unions, but he doesn't like the way the management has been treating people, either, and with this economy, doesn't see any other job prospects right now.

Link Posted: 9/8/2013 6:33:36 PM EDT
[#40]
Quoted:

It was called NUMMI.  New United Motors Manufacturing Incorporated.  

And yes you are 100% correct.
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

It was called NUMMI.  New United Motors Manufacturing Incorporated.  

And yes you are 100% correct.

Guess who owns the NUMMI plant now? Hint: They aren't union.
Link Posted: 9/9/2013 2:16:22 AM EDT
[#41]
Without google, I remember reading about this.  Tesla?
Page / 3
Next Page Arrow Left
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top