Site Notices
Page / 3
Link Posted: 9/6/2013 12:47:23 PM EDT
[#1]
Discussion ForumsJump to Quoted PostQuote History
Quoted:
Get me the Pinkertons on line one!

View Quote

Not necessary... see my quote above re: Texas.  
Link Posted: 9/6/2013 12:49:04 PM EDT
[#2]
Quoted:

So did they give a reason for not hiring you, or just not call you back?  
View Quote View All Quotes
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
Like no one saw this coming..

Place like that go to shit real quick when they bring in a Temp agency, cut your wages by $3-$4 and want you to work 7 days a week 12 hours a day.

I live within 10 mins of there and have never applied, I work for a Japanese tier 1 automotive supplier.
Link Posted: 9/6/2013 12:51:08 PM EDT
[#3]
Quoted:

I live within 10 mins of there and have never applied, I work for a Japanese tier 1 automotive supplier.
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:

Place like that go to shit real quick when they bring in a Temp agency, cut your wages by $3-$4 and want you to work 7 days a week 12 hours a day.

So you realize that widespread UAW infestation of Japanese and German-based US auto plants will make your job disappear, right?

Link Posted: 9/6/2013 12:53:06 PM EDT
[#4]
Quoted:

I have never understood why companies aren't more willing to do this.  Leverage can work both ways, and there's no shortage of people needing unskilled type jobs.

ETA....I worked in a body shop where the owner made no bones about it.  Try to unionize and you will immediately be out of a job.

View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
Fire anyone who joins or attempts to recruit/organize.

I have never understood why companies aren't more willing to do this.  Leverage can work both ways, and there's no shortage of people needing unskilled type jobs.

ETA....I worked in a body shop where the owner made no bones about it.  Try to unionize and you will immediately be out of a job.

Have you ever been through a union drive? I have been through 2. Union and it's stooges can say and do most anything. We had a vote union lost and a union organizer claim one of our supervisors told her she would be fired if the union got in.  He denied it. I believed him all of management attended daily meetings many led by our company attorney who specialized in labor law. We all towed the line. New vote union lost again woman quit a week later. She hand't work there 6 months. Only came in to get a union in.
if the body shop owner did fire a person over union organizing he would have been in court.
Unions know all the laws rules and regulations. They will take a company to court and spend lots of money and the labor board will be there supporting them.

Link Posted: 9/6/2013 1:04:51 PM EDT
[#5]
Quoted:
German auto labor unions are quite different, they actually have a guy sitting on the board of the company and he is there to ensure that the union does its best to help the company. Cooperative instead of adversary attitude,  American union workers live in a different galaxy when it comes to that.
View Quote

Get rid of the right to strike and collective bargaining and they could unionize all day long.  It's not the management that's the problem.
Link Posted: 9/6/2013 1:07:41 PM EDT
[#6]
Quoted:

So you realize that widespread UAW infestation of Japanese and German-based US auto plants will make your job disappear, right?

View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:

YES, I am well aware of that and DO NOT support UAW.
Link Posted: 9/6/2013 1:10:09 PM EDT
[#7]
Quoted:

View Quote

Cool.  In that case, if you're ever up near Tullahoma, IM me... Arfcommers always get 10% off on booze!  
Link Posted: 9/6/2013 1:19:26 PM EDT
[#8]
Quoted:

Cool.  In that case, if you're ever up near Tullahoma, IM me... Arfcommers always get 10% off on booze!  
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

Link Posted: 9/6/2013 1:21:00 PM EDT
[#9]
Quoted:
Should kill Fire anyone who joins or attempts to recruit/organize.
View Quote

FIFY

Link Posted: 9/6/2013 4:22:47 PM EDT
[#10]
I always look for the union label when I am in the market for a new car. If I find one, I move on to a different brand.
Link Posted: 9/6/2013 4:29:56 PM EDT
[#11]
Link Posted: 9/6/2013 4:35:13 PM EDT
[#12]
Quoted:
A lot of the union laws are federal and apply everywhere. The second example was more "NY specific" and might not have happened somewhere normal like TN.  
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:

Not familiar with labor laws, I see.  

No kidding. We had a client years ago who had a union come in, I think he finally just closed shop and STILL got sued despite going out of business.  

I had a client sued for not paying his mother union wages for doing his books. he finally closed shop and went on disability. Adios union.

How does that work in a right-to-work state?

Unions don't do too well in states where workers have a choice.

Posted Via AR15.Com Mobile
A lot of the union laws are federal and apply everywhere. The second example was more "NY specific" and might not have happened somewhere normal like TN.  

Link Posted: 9/6/2013 4:42:29 PM EDT
[#13]
Quoted:
View Quote

I don't believe that is legal
Link Posted: 9/6/2013 5:22:58 PM EDT
[#14]
Quoted:

View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

In Tennessee, the employer can fire an employee just because they feel like doing it.  Unions cannot make union membership a requirement for employment in Tennessee.

The UAW has a lousy track record, here.  Both in not being able to unionize auto plants, and in not being able to keep open the few that they did unionize.
Link Posted: 9/6/2013 5:25:25 PM EDT
[#15]
Quoted:

In Tennessee, the employer can fire an employee just because they feel like doing it.  Unions cannot make union membership a requirement for employment in Tennessee.

The UAW has a lousy track record, here.  Both in not being able to unionize auto plants, and in not being able to keep open the few that they did unionize.
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:

Yeah, Fred has kept the pilots union at bay for decades.

Link Posted: 9/6/2013 5:53:48 PM EDT
[#16]
Link Posted: 9/6/2013 6:18:23 PM EDT
[#17]
Quoted:
ha ha!  
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
ha ha!  

I would give them a ride, like a Mob bookie gives a gambler who can't repay his Super Bowl loses.
Link Posted: 9/6/2013 6:21:40 PM EDT
[#18]
i hope vw tells union to go pack sand up their ass. fuck all unions and all libs
Link Posted: 9/6/2013 6:25:01 PM EDT
[#19]
Quoted:
or the history of Volkswagen.  

Hitler abolished labor unions, and to this day VW encourages their workers to be union members...they are proud to have them.

My brother works closely with electrical contractors that built the VW assembly lines...the VW management has a different view on things of this nature.
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:

Hitler abolished labor unions, and to this day VW encourages their workers to be union members...they are proud to have them.

My brother works closely with electrical contractors that built the VW assembly lines...the VW management has a different view on things of this nature.

And yet VW chose an honest-to-God anti-union state to build their factory.

Strange...
Link Posted: 9/6/2013 6:34:19 PM EDT
[#20]
Quoted:
Get me the Pinkertons on line one!

View Quote

No need. The Japs will take their bat and their ball and go home, fast enough to make your head spin.
Link Posted: 9/6/2013 6:41:24 PM EDT
[#21]
Quoted:

Strange...
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:

Strange...

I know you are being sarcastic.  I would have thought that VW had their fill of unions after their experience with their New Stanton PA (Westmoreland) plant.

Very bad UAW experience.  I've read that the VW Westmoreland experience was a major factor in non US auto companies building factories away from the traditional union areas of the country.
Link Posted: 9/6/2013 6:52:56 PM EDT
[#22]
Quoted:

View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

The poster that you quoted is from Missouri.

Missouri follows the Employment-At-Will doctrine. This means that both the employer and employee can terminate the employment relationship at any time and for any reason, as long as there is no employment contract to the contrary, there is no discrimination under civil rights laws (based on race, color, age, national origin, religion, ancestry, sex, or physical/mental disability), no merit laws apply, or the state’s limited public policy exception does not apply.

In other words, even if there was a federal law protecting a union organizer, you can still be fired because the boss doesn't like you.
Link Posted: 9/6/2013 7:20:59 PM EDT
[#23]
Quoted:
Give me a small bus fleet and a day, I'll solve this.

Round up some influential VW employees and take them up to the barely-breathing (and only recently re-opened at all) UAW GM plant in Spring Hill.  Then swing over to Smyrna and show them the Nissan plant that's busier than a three-peckered goat and expanding.  On the way back to Chattanooga they can swing buy the old union Samsonite plant in Murfreesboro (closed) and the old union Eaton transmission plant in Shelbyville (abandoned).
View Quote

If you're going that far, might as well add Huntsville, AL to the list:

- Dayton tire company plant off Wall-Triana, went on strike for month with even some violence (but no one dead AFAIK); strike got over, plant closed within a year.  Plant is pretty much empty right now, except I think they have one section they are using to upgrade US Army Blackhawks.
- Chrysler plant (or whoever Chrysler sold it to), also off Wall-Trian, long prolonged strike, finally got settled, plant closed within a year.  Plants been closed ever since and is to this day.
- Go by the Boeing plant between the airport runways; remind them of the hourly worker strike several years ago.  Most of those workers worked on the 787 program.  While they were on strike, 787 moved to the work to a non-union work shop.  Strike settled, went back to work on Friday, all but a very few got lay off notices the very next Monday.  Pretty much all hourly work at Boeing-Hsv is now dead as doornails.
- Swing by Oak Ridge, TN and the former Boeing plant there.  This used to be the largest Boeing-owned land operation for all of Boeing.  Hourly went on strike, strike settled, Boeing shut down all of Oak Ridge.  All hourly were let go, some salary and managers were offered jobs at other locations (like Huntsville and my former manager).

Link Posted: 9/6/2013 7:36:46 PM EDT
[#24]
Quoted:

- Dayton tire company plant off Wall-Triana, went on strike for month with even some violence (but no one dead AFAIK); strike got over, plant closed within a year.  Plant is pretty much empty right now, except I think they have one section they are using to upgrade US Army Blackhawks.
- Chrysler plant (or whoever Chrysler sold it to), also off Wall-Trian, long prolonged strike, finally got settled, plant closed within a year.  Plants been closed ever since and is to this day.
- Go by the Boeing plant between the airport runways; remind them of the hourly worker strike several years ago.  Most of those workers worked on the 787 program.  While they were on strike, 787 moved to the work to a non-union work shop.  Strike settled, went back to work on Friday, all but a very few got lay off notices the very next Monday.  Pretty much all hourly work at Boeing-Hsv is now dead as doornails.
- Swing by Oak Ridge, TN and the former Boeing plant there.  This used to be the largest Boeing-owned land operation for all of Boeing.  Hourly went on strike, strike settled, Boeing shut down all of Oak Ridge.  All hourly were let go, some salary and managers were offered jobs at other locations (like Huntsville and my former manager).

View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
Give me a small bus fleet and a day, I'll solve this.

Round up some influential VW employees and take them up to the barely-breathing (and only recently re-opened at all) UAW GM plant in Spring Hill.  Then swing over to Smyrna and show them the Nissan plant that's busier than a three-peckered goat and expanding.  On the way back to Chattanooga they can swing buy the old union Samsonite plant in Murfreesboro (closed) and the old union Eaton transmission plant in Shelbyville (abandoned).

To add to this, they might want to head up north of town and have a chat with some of the Toyota engine plant workers.  I know quite a few folks who are employed there and all of them will gladly tell you what a fantastic place it is to work.  I don't know a single one who wishes they were unionized, and I doubt the UAW would ever get a foot in the door there.
Link Posted: 9/6/2013 7:39:48 PM EDT
[#25]
Quoted:
I think UAW is gonna get spanked, like they do at Nissan every few years.  Chattanooga is a red part of a red state.  And the first time some union goon makes a veiled threat he might end up spitting teeth.  

Think about this... you know how ornery Texans can be?  It took some Tennesseans looking for a fight to make Texas.  
View Quote

I agree with everything except the red part.

As for the red part - Chattanooga gave us all Bob Corker. It is "RINO" country (Fuck, I hate the term "RINO").

I escaped in a balloon during the Kinsey administration.
Link Posted: 9/6/2013 7:44:05 PM EDT
[#26]
I work for a Toyota supplier. They got wind of all the "Union Talk" at one of the plants. The Plant Manager got a call from Toyota one morning. Ten minutes later, they announced a 3% pay increase for everyone. So endeth the "Union Talk". Our other facility supplied NUMMI in Fremont before GM pulled out. I think they build Tesla's there now.
Link Posted: 9/6/2013 7:45:12 PM EDT
[#27]
Quoted:

Missouri follows the Employment-At-Will doctrine. This means that both the employer and employee can terminate the employment relationship at any time and for any reason, as long as there is no employment contract to the contrary, there is no discrimination under civil rights laws (based on race, color, age, national origin, religion, ancestry, sex, or physical/mental disability), no merit laws apply, or the state’s limited public policy exception does not apply.

In other words, even if there was a federal law protecting a union organizer, you can still be fired because the boss doesn't like you.
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:

That's pretty much how it works in Tennessee.
Link Posted: 9/6/2013 7:47:57 PM EDT
[#28]

Quoted:
Just don't drive with more than $5 and leave the jewelry at home. Forfeiture, yo. It happens.

Fuck Tennessee.  

View All Quotes
Quoted:

Quoted:

Quoted:

This!  Keep Tennessee free.

Just don't drive with more than $5 and leave the jewelry at home. Forfeiture, yo. It happens.

Fuck Tennessee.  

+1

Link Posted: 9/6/2013 7:48:07 PM EDT
[#29]

Quoted:

Fuck Tennessee.  

View All Quotes
Quoted:

Quoted:

Quoted:

This!  Keep Tennessee free.

Fuck Tennessee.  

We don't like liberals. So it's not surprising a Liberal don't like us.

Fuck Liberals!
Link Posted: 9/6/2013 8:13:43 PM EDT
[#30]
VW treats employees differently. Anyone can just walk into managements office at any time! They all wear the same shirts with just a first name. Most people love working there. They pay well for this area and, have great benefits. They have helped the economy of the whole reigon. If you can walk into the presidents office I don't see what a union would really do. Just my opinion.
Link Posted: 9/6/2013 8:38:32 PM EDT
[#31]
Quoted:

That Mitsubishi plant hardly produces anything any more. I think they are down to a shift or maybe 2. Huge parking lots meant to hold new cars sit empty.
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
http://abcnews.go.com/Business/wireStory/vw-letter-tenn-workers-confirms-talks-uaw-20173809

"Currently, only one U.S. plant owned by foreign automakers has UAW representation, a Mitsubishi factory in Normal, Ill., with about 1,000 workers. The union has been trying for years to organize other plants, which mainly are in southern states.

The prospect of UAW representation in Chattanooga concerns Southern Republicans, who fear a UAW foothold in the region will allow it to recruit workers at other auto plants."

That Mitsubishi plant hardly produces anything any more. I think they are down to a shift or maybe 2. Huge parking lots meant to hold new cars sit empty.

They were up  to 2 shifts a couple weeks ago. not sure now.
Link Posted: 9/7/2013 2:25:14 AM EDT
[#32]
Quoted:

View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:

And that boss would be a fucking idiot. The NLRB would crawl up his ass so fast.

All of a sudden you hate this guy, right as he leading an organizing campaign.

You'd be better off firing him for cause with documentation of his violations.
Link Posted: 9/7/2013 4:37:17 AM EDT
[#33]
Quoted:

And that boss would be a fucking idiot. The NLRB would crawl up his ass so fast.

View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:

Long winded version:
"The terminated employee had a confrontational attitude with management and caused a negative impact on productivity with most of the employees he interacted with."

Less wordy version:
"The terminated employee did not mesh well with our company's policies and goals, which created some problems."

Short and sweet:
"We tried, but the terminated employee just didn't work out."

Which of the above is not a legal cause for termination in Tennessee? (hint: they are all legal reasons to fire someone)
Link Posted: 9/7/2013 4:42:18 AM EDT
[#34]
Quoted:

View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
I think UAW is gonna get spanked, like they do at Nissan every few years.  Chattanooga is a red part of a red state.  And the first time some union goon makes a veiled threat he might end up spitting teeth.  

Think about this... you know how ornery Texans can be?  It took some Tennesseans looking for a fight to make Texas.  

Yeah, but those guys LEFT Tennessee for SOME reason to come to the promised land!!  :P
Link Posted: 9/7/2013 4:44:18 AM EDT
[#35]
This bears watching... TN is on the short list for places the wife and i would consider moving to when I'm done with school.

I live ~50 miles outside one union hellhole, I don't want to move to another.
Link Posted: 9/7/2013 4:45:54 AM EDT
[#36]
Quoted:

I would.

It's cheaper to make cars overseas and ship them.

Truth be known, you likely get a better car.
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
japs learned their lesson with the NUUMI plant.

they will close the plant before they go union.
and the employees know it.

I would.

It's cheaper to make cars overseas and ship them.

Truth be known, you likely get a better car.

This
Link Posted: 9/7/2013 4:56:30 AM EDT
[#37]

Quoted:

View All Quotes
Quoted:

Quoted:

I know it varies state by state. But when I was a teen, working for Food Lion they had that policy right in the employee handbook. Any mention of joining or forming a union would be met with immediate termination.

Link Posted: 9/7/2013 5:00:42 AM EDT
[#38]

Quoted:

View All Quotes
Quoted:

Quoted:

http://abcnews.go.com/Business/wireStory/vw-letter-tenn-workers-confirms-talks-uaw-20173809

"Currently, only one U.S. plant owned by foreign automakers has UAW representation, a Mitsubishi factory in Normal, Ill., with about 1,000 workers. The union has been trying for years to organize other plants, which mainly are in southern states.

The prospect of UAW representation in Chattanooga concerns Southern Republicans, who fear a UAW foothold in the region will allow it to recruit workers at other auto plants."

Big ass plant.  So few  workers.  

I thought that my old window factory would make a great indoor shooting range.   Hit the suction , fire away.
Link Posted: 9/7/2013 5:02:00 AM EDT
[#39]
Quoted:
View Quote

Time to call out the Pinkertons.

Link Posted: 9/7/2013 5:10:21 AM EDT
[#40]
Unions play a vital role....They give lazy bums a place to gather and complain about how hard they work, while being paid.
Link Posted: 9/7/2013 5:16:53 AM EDT
[#41]
Quoted:
This bears watching... TN is on the short list for places the wife and i would consider moving to when I'm done with school.

I live ~50 miles outside one union hellhole, I don't want to move to another.
View Quote

The UAW has been trying to gain ground in Tennessee since Nissan opened the Smyrna plant in the early 1980's.  They refuse to accept that Tennesseans see them for the worthless scum that they are.

ETA:  Guys coming here from northern states, to tell us we need to be doing things the way they do it in northern states?  
Link Posted: 9/7/2013 5:30:14 AM EDT
[#42]
Link Posted: 9/7/2013 5:37:32 AM EDT
[#43]
What with all the UAW hate? Look at what they did for workers at the plant in Fenton MO.  All for the greater good of the union brothers and sisters!

I mean fuckers ain't got a job but they won the moral victory!
Link Posted: 9/7/2013 6:01:18 AM EDT
[#44]
Quoted:
What with all the UAW hate? Look at what they did for workers at the plant in Fenton MO.  All for the greater good of the union brothers and sisters!

http://i761.photobucket.com/albums/xx257/scpd755/a379e75fd3a30f388f9e71c96a14c7f0.jpg
http://i761.photobucket.com/albums/xx257/scpd755/c94f231c58c31dae0e920db09574c6f8.jpg
http://i761.photobucket.com/albums/xx257/scpd755/352755e14c00dcb86d3f1d20c7acc48e.jpg

I mean fuckers ain't got a job but they won the moral victory!
View Quote

Looks kinda like Nashville's Peterbilt plant that the UAW had a long term strike against, until Peterbilt decided to permanently shut it down and shift it's production to their other plant.

As I previously stated, the UAW doesn't have a track record to be proud of, here.
Link Posted: 9/7/2013 6:12:17 AM EDT
[#45]
Quoted:
All labor laws need to be repealed but unions are most insidious of all.  Has cops running wild some places and puts capital intensive businesses under and uncompetitive ruining American industry, communities and tax base..
View All Quotes
Quoted:
All labor laws need to be repealed but unions are most insidious of all.  Has cops running wild some places and puts capital intensive businesses under and uncompetitive ruining American industry, communities and tax base..

I categorically disagree.  It is the government's place to regulate businesses to keep safe working conditions, equal pay for equal work, and a few other things.

IOW it's the people's job to regulate the government (self rule, democratic republic, all that stuff), and the business of the gov't to regulate other organizations (including business) to prevent them from abusing the individual people.

I won't buy anything union. Colt firearms to American cars.

Now that I can get behind.
Link Posted: 9/7/2013 6:56:52 AM EDT
[#46]
Quoted:

I categorically disagree.  It is the government's place to regulate businesses to keep safe working conditions, equal pay for equal work, and a few other things.

View Quote

And I categorically disagree with that.  None of those things are legitimate roles of government according to our Constitution.

But at least you don't buy union-made stuff.  
Link Posted: 9/7/2013 7:11:31 AM EDT
[#47]
Link Posted: 9/7/2013 7:21:40 AM EDT
[#48]
Quoted:

And I categorically disagree with that.  None of those things are legitimate roles of government according to our Constitution.

View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

This
Link Posted: 9/7/2013 7:22:51 AM EDT
[#49]
I really hate labor laws and unions.
Link Posted: 9/7/2013 7:30:53 AM EDT
[#50]
Quoted:
The Tennessee VW plant is already in trouble.

http://online.wsj.com/article/SB10001424127887324202304579052901526529452.html
View Quote

they should be.

They are making a shit car, slapping a vw label on it, and hoping it sells.

that strategy works once, and then once the buyer figures it out, they never go back.

building cheap shit isn't a good long term strategy for something that costs a years salary for some folks.
Page / 3
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top