BCM
User Panel

Site Notices
Page / 89
Link Posted: 1/22/2016 12:44:35 PM EDT
[#1]
Discussion ForumsJump to Quoted PostQuote History
Quoted:

Don't forget to add me so we can group up with some other Xboner afrcommers!
View Quote View All Quotes
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
I'm encouraged by the bits we've seen so far.

Was really worried this was going to turn in to "promise the world, deliver a small fraction" which has plagued Ubi games in the past.

Looking forward to the Beta.  I think I have a code - somewhere.  Was invited to the Alpha but was very busy those few days and missed my chance.

Hell yeah!  Let's get a crew going.  Will be useful that a few of us got some alpha time so we have an idea of how it plays.  Not that it really is that out of the ordinary for this style of game.

I'll be on Thursday night and then randomly throughout the weekend most likely.

GT is the same as my user on here for anyone that wants to add me
Link Posted: 1/22/2016 2:32:00 PM EDT
[#2]
Quoted:

Hell yeah!  Let's get a crew going.  Will be useful that a few of us got some alpha time so we have an idea of how it plays.  Not that it really is that out of the ordinary for this style of game.

View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:
I'm encouraged by the bits we've seen so far.

Was really worried this was going to turn in to "promise the world, deliver a small fraction" which has plagued Ubi games in the past.

Looking forward to the Beta.  I think I have a code - somewhere.  Was invited to the Alpha but was very busy those few days and missed my chance.

It will really make a difference once the game drops.  Crews of 3 or 4 will be essential for dark zone exploration and loot extraction.
Link Posted: 1/22/2016 6:56:06 PM EDT
[#3]
def gonna be picking this game up
Link Posted: 1/22/2016 7:29:13 PM EDT
[#4]
If you guys watch this I think you'll be interested. The weapon modding and selection gives me a boner.
It's a long video but he plays the game with a Dev and answers questions

Link Posted: 1/23/2016 1:21:15 PM EDT
[#5]
Destiny in New York?

Link Posted: 1/23/2016 3:10:30 PM EDT
[#6]
Quoted:
Destiny in New York?

View Quote

I'm hoping it will be a Tom Clancy version of (some of) the things we thought Destiny was going to be.
Link Posted: 1/23/2016 3:27:11 PM EDT
[#7]
Quoted:
Destiny in New York?

View Quote

Hopefully not
Link Posted: 1/23/2016 3:36:46 PM EDT
[#8]
yes for the PC. the few minutes of demo play out there look interesting, but id like to see some more play before committing.

edit: watching at least one of the newer videos, it looks like you have to practically empty an entire mag to the head of the common bag guys to get them to go down. in other scene, remote gun firing away, player pumping shotgun into them, still need more to go down...
Link Posted: 1/23/2016 4:44:03 PM EDT
[#9]
Quoted:
yes for the PC. the few minutes of demo play out there look interesting, but id like to see some more play before committing.

edit: watching at least one of the newer videos, it looks like you have to practically empty an entire mag to the head of the common bag guys to get them to go down. in other scene, remote gun firing away, player pumping shotgun into them, still need more to go down...
View Quote

I agree stats need to be adjusted, but its an RPG first.  People keep getting up in arms about damage.  Think Borderlands and GoW, not CoD and BF.
Link Posted: 1/23/2016 6:56:31 PM EDT
[#10]
Quoted:

I agree stats need to be adjusted, but its an RPG first.  People keep getting up in arms about damage.  Think Borderlands and GoW, not CoD and BF.
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

I think the major issue is with the scaling to group size in combat.  Think about the trailer gameplay with the single player under the "L" taking on a group.  The one enemy walked right up on him and went down quick.  I assume they buffed the single player quite a bit.  The most recent stuff seemed to be 3 man teams, and much more difficult to drop enemies.  This should be a pretty easy game mechanic fix, hopefully after the beta gives them some more info to work with.
Link Posted: 1/23/2016 7:33:07 PM EDT
[#11]
Quoted:
If you guys watch this I think you'll be interested. The weapon modding and selection gives me a boner.

https://youtu.be/PpPLATt94n0
View Quote

Yeah that looks cool but shooting 30 rounds at a guy before he goes down is really a drag, man.
Link Posted: 1/23/2016 7:33:07 PM EDT
[#12]
Quoted:

View Quote

Yeah that looks cool but shooting 30 rounds at a guy before he goes down is really a drag, man.
Link Posted: 1/23/2016 8:00:58 PM EDT
[#13]
Quoted:

View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

Like chopping at someone for 30 swings of a greatsword makes sense.  It's how you implement the weapon damage and stats, gears stats, player skills, perks, etc. into the RPG style gameplay.
Link Posted: 1/23/2016 8:01:23 PM EDT
[#14]
Quoted:

View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

Especially if ammo is limited/scarce
Link Posted: 1/23/2016 8:11:32 PM EDT
[#15]
Quoted:

View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:

If the game was single player only, I could see them cutting down HP/AP on NPCs.  Focused DPS in a RPG is nothing new.  If this was fantasy themed people wouldn't give a shit and there would be less QQin on forums.

It cracks me up that people expected this game to be run n gun COD garbage.
Link Posted: 1/23/2016 8:13:53 PM EDT
[#16]
Quoted:

View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:

Pistol ammo = unlimited.  Everything else wont be...

I've got a bunch of guys in my community that will be playing, can join us on ts if you want, hit me up in pm.
Link Posted: 1/23/2016 8:14:52 PM EDT
[#17]
I have no trust in ubisoft. They can fuck up a bowl of cereal.

I'll wait for the reviews or a good sale
Link Posted: 1/23/2016 8:15:14 PM EDT
[#18]
Quoted:

I think the major issue is with the scaling to group size in combat.  Think about the trailer gameplay with the single player under the "L" taking on a group.  The one enemy walked right up on him and went down quick.  I assume they buffed the single player quite a bit.  The most recent stuff seemed to be 3 man teams, and much more difficult to drop enemies.  This should be a pretty easy game mechanic fix, hopefully after the beta gives them some more info to work with.
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:

Youre probably right, but I feel like a lot of the distress is because this game is modeled after a realistic based shooter and story not some scifi or cartoony one.  If its an RPG, we know regardless of how the scaling and buffs occur, they do occur because of what the game is, an RPG.  

If it was just a shooter people would have a point.  Since its an RPG first I dont understand all the distress.

Link Posted: 1/23/2016 8:16:09 PM EDT
[#19]
Quoted:

If the game was single player only, I could see them cutting down HP/AP on NPCs.  Focused DPS in a RPG is nothing new.  If this was fantasy themed people wouldn't give a shit and there would be less QQin on forums.

View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:

Exactly.
Link Posted: 1/24/2016 12:54:34 AM EDT
[#20]
A few details about the PC version has been released. Most notably, no framerate cap.
Link Posted: 1/24/2016 12:59:50 PM EDT
[#21]
Quoted:

View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:

I have no idea what you just said, but hey - if you think shooting a dude 30 times before he goes down is gay too, then we're cool. Super cool.
Link Posted: 1/24/2016 1:39:15 PM EDT
[#22]
Quoted:

I have no idea what you just said, but hey - if you think shooting a dude 30 times before he goes down is gay too, then we're cool. Super cool.
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:

Do you know what RPG stands for?
Link Posted: 1/24/2016 1:51:58 PM EDT
[#23]
This is a RPG guys not a mil sim
Link Posted: 1/24/2016 2:55:27 PM EDT
[#24]
Quoted:

View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:

"What, your mom get you a puter for Christmas?" - Lord Nikon
Link Posted: 1/24/2016 3:07:35 PM EDT
[#25]
Quoted:

View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:

If this was a COD, BF or a R6S game, shooting someone 30x would be retarded.  It's not a First Person Shooter or in this case a 3rd Person Shooter.  It's a RPG first that runs off Dungeon and Dragons rules in some shape or form with a modern theme.  Like I said before, if this was a Fantasy themed game then no one would care about "Bullet Sponge" NPCs.  This game isn't about realism when it comes to game mechanics.  I don't want to come off as an asshole, but if some of these terms are new to you, then I doubt you'll enjoy this game once you hit the Dark Zone.  End game content in Mass Multiplayer RPGs requires a greater understanding of DnD mechanics and the Dark Zone will most likely be a treasure trove of loot to help players get to End Game content.  DPS, HP/AP, Buffs, Aggro, Proc, DoT etc etc are just scratching the surface to building a solid character.  Shit we haven't even hit player roles such as a Tank (Damage Taker), DPS (Damage Dealer) or Healer (Damage Recovery/Buffing).

MMO and MMORPG Terms Glossary

Link Posted: 1/24/2016 3:59:10 PM EDT
[#26]
Yes, it's an RPG.

But it's also a Clancy game.

Hopefully they'll strike a decent balance.  30x for one enemy is a bit rough.
Link Posted: 1/24/2016 3:59:41 PM EDT
[#27]
Quoted:

If this was a COD, BF or a R6S game, shooting someone 30x would be retarded.  It's not a First Person Shooter or in this case a 3rd Person Shooter.  It's a RPG first that runs off Dungeon and Dragons rules in some shape or form with a modern theme.  Like I said before, if this was a Fantasy themed game then no one would care about "Bullet Sponge" NPCs.  This game isn't about realism when it comes to game mechanics.  I don't want to come off as an asshole, but if some of these terms are new to you, then I doubt you'll enjoy this game once you hit the Dark Zone.  End game content in Mass Multiplayer RPGs requires a greater understanding of DnD mechanics and the Dark Zone will most likely be a treasure trove of loot to help players get to End Game content.  DPS, HP/AP, Buffs, Aggro, Proc, DoT etc etc are just scratching the surface to building a solid character.  Shit we haven't even hit player roles such as a Tank (Damage Taker), DPS (Damage Dealer) or Healer (Damage Recovery/Buffing).

MMO and MMORPG Terms Glossary

View Quote

You're not coming off as an asshole. Thanks for dumbing it down for me. So basically this is Final Fantasy but with a better backstory. Crap. I guess I'll just wait for the next Ghost Recon.
Link Posted: 1/24/2016 4:01:17 PM EDT
[#28]
Have you read something that says this uses behind the scenes dice rolls a'la D&D?

Because if not - that's a rather large leap...
Link Posted: 1/24/2016 4:21:17 PM EDT
[#29]
Quoted:
Yes, it's an RPG.

View All Quotes
Quoted:
Yes, it's an RPG.

While true... They are also coming out with Ghost Recon: Wildlands.  Which is still going to be a sandbox/co-op style, but will be much more typical of the FPS genre.  The Division is being sold as more of a WoW type longevity game.  While I think it will be next to impossible to do that, these companies keep trying.  And I can't fault them for it.

You can't expect an RPG style game to be damage accurate as it would KILL the other aspects that build the overall character and progression.  With level based stats, armor, weapons, and appropriating skill points to unlock more powerful choices.

You want to kill enemies quickly, have the best gear you can get for your level.  And target and stay with enemies below you rank far enough to kill them at the rate you feel is best.  Maybe a lvl 5 can kill lvl 1 NPC's with only 10 rounds... As an example.  So stay with targets 4 levels below you.  Gonna be hard to rank up and keep gettign level appropriate gear, but hey you killed the guy with less than 30 rounds.

ETA
Quoted:
Have you read something that says this uses behind the scenes dice rolls a'la D&D?

Sort of...One example.  If you have items or skills to get your Critical Hit chance to 50%; there is still a randomness to when it's going to actually happen.  Basically, even if there are two identical character builds that have 50% chance of Critical Hit.  It will not hit at the same time for each character.  So yes, there is a bit of a dice roll.
Link Posted: 1/24/2016 4:37:28 PM EDT
[#30]
Quoted:

View All Quotes
Quoted:

What we know about The Division currently

I haven't seen any interviews talking about the core programming of the game.  Massive barely provides any information about the inner workings of the game, however D&D rules have always been the base content for RPGs in some form.  

Loot roll, cover system, damage modifiers (AP, cover, distance etc), hit vs miss percentages, difficulty of target vs XP payout.

Edit:

The link about kind of touches on the inner workings of the game.
Devs have repeatedly stressed RPG which could mean dice rolls instead of accurate bullet physics. ("Unlike such rivals as Destiny and Borderlands, The Division isn't selling itself as a hybrid, and Massive is planting its feet firmly on the side of the dice roll." Taken from the Eurogamer 2 article)

Link Posted: 1/24/2016 5:17:29 PM EDT
[#31]
Just pre-ordered the PC version via STEAM. Lots of people thinking this game is BF4/CoD but with some role playing/character ability/stat/skill/equipment customization. It's not. This game is more akin to World of Warcraft (WoW), or more accurately All Points Bulletin (APB), than it is the BF/CoD type first person shooters.

In MMORPGs like WoW or Star Wars The Old Republic (SWToR) your character levels-up in order to gain access to more/better equipment, stats, areas, and abilities. Enemies also are differentiated by levels (usually each zone/area is populated by enemies in certain level ranges - this means as your character levels new zones become available). At level 5 a level 20 enemy would simply be too difficult for you to kill because it would have too much health, too much armor, and the amount of damage per hit it would do to you would be far greater than the amount of damage you could do to it.

So, in a MMO if your character is level 10 and you attack a level 1 rat you would probably kill it in one hit because the damage per hit you do at level 10 is equal to, or greater than, the amount of health and defense stats a level 1 rat has. But at level 10 if you attack a level 20 rat it would probably take 200 hits to kill it because
the damage per hit you do at level 10 is far less than the
amount of health a level 20 rat has.      

Anyway, I think if people understand this game is more like a MMORPG (WoW, SWToR, APB, etc.) than it is the Battlefield of Call of Duty games, might change the discussion.

Link Posted: 1/24/2016 5:23:00 PM EDT
[#32]

You're not coming off as an asshole. Thanks for dumbing it down for me. So basically this is Final Fantasy but with a better backstory. Crap. I guess I'll just wait for the next Ghost Recon.
View Quote

I'd still give the beta a try. I thought World of Warcraft was going to be stupid and the beta made me change my mind.  I'm just providing an opinion based on my experiences with RPGs over the years.  My two favorite genres are RPGs and FPSs.
Link Posted: 1/24/2016 6:08:50 PM EDT
[#33]
I've got a group of three chomping at the bit to start playing (PC). From what I've seen recently, it should fit our game style great.
Link Posted: 1/24/2016 6:49:49 PM EDT
[#34]
Quoted:

You can't expect an RPG style game to be damage accurate as it would KILL the other aspects that build the overall character and progression.  With level based stats, armor, weapons, and appropriating skill points to unlock more powerful choices.

View Quote

To be honest I was sort of expecting this game to develop on some of the (sort of) themes we saw in Planetside.

Planetside had balance issues of course - but much of that stemmed from different weaponry for each faction.

To be clear, I can't imagine this game uses dice rolls to decided whether player A is aiming at player B or not.  But i'm sure it uses them to provide a bit of uncertainty into the internal calculations of probability-to-hit, damage, and so on.  All of which are modified as per each player's level NPC's level, various stats, etc.

Said another way - it might be useful to understand what everyone means when they say "dice roll" - because some folks will interpret that as a sort of Final Fantasy VII type gameplay, which we all know isn't what is happening.
Link Posted: 1/24/2016 7:27:47 PM EDT
[#35]
trying to figure out which I wanna pre order

xbone or pc or ps4
Link Posted: 1/24/2016 7:31:12 PM EDT
[#36]
Quoted:
trying to figure out which I wanna pre order

xbone or pc or ps4
View Quote

Boils down to which one you think will have the most friends to play with.

For me that basically means XB1.  Though it is possible my group and I may move (back) to PC at some point in the future.
Link Posted: 1/25/2016 8:07:27 PM EDT
[#37]
I can't figure out which version I want to pre-order (standard, gold, or collectors).

I don't care too much about the season pass or extras, but it seems like the in-game extras do have perks besides cosmetics.
Link Posted: 1/25/2016 8:36:31 PM EDT
[#38]
Quoted:

To be honest I was sort of expecting this game to develop on some of the (sort of) themes we saw in Planetside.

Planetside had balance issues of course - but much of that stemmed from different weaponry for each faction.

To be clear, I can't imagine this game uses dice rolls to decided whether player A is aiming at player B or not.  But i'm sure it uses them to provide a bit of uncertainty into the internal calculations of probability-to-hit, damage, and so on.  All of which are modified as per each player's level NPC's level, various stats, etc.

Said another way - it might be useful to understand what everyone means when they say "dice roll" - because some folks will interpret that as a sort of Final Fantasy VII type gameplay, which we all know isn't what is happening.
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

Youre right, its definitely not turn based.  Those are RPGs of the past.   All the "dice rolls" happen real time now.
Link Posted: 1/25/2016 8:38:51 PM EDT
[#39]
Quoted:
I can't figure out which version I want to pre-order (standard, gold, or collectors).

I don't care too much about the season pass or extras, but it seems like the in-game extras do have perks besides cosmetics.
View Quote

What in game extras?  All you get for preordering the standard and gold editions are preorder content which is a gear set.  These more than likely will only benefit you just slightly at the beginning of the game.  If you dont want the season pass, or the collectors edition (which I believe is a watch), then go standard.
Link Posted: 1/25/2016 9:23:06 PM EDT
[#40]
Quoted:

What in game extras?  All you get for preordering the standard and gold editions are preorder content which is a gear set.  These more than likely will only benefit you just slightly at the beginning of the game.  If you dont want the season pass, or the collectors edition (which I believe is a watch), then go standard.
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

Specifically, just the backpack that comes with the National Guard set gives bonus armor. No idea how much that will help but it's tempting.
Link Posted: 1/26/2016 12:38:06 AM EDT
[#41]
Quoted:

Specifically, just the backpack that comes with the National Guard set gives bonus armor. No idea how much that will help but it's tempting.
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:

I can all but guarantee you'll get one to replace it fairly quickly.  Is that the set for preorder of the standard edition or the gold edition?

They're giving away four gear sets to coincide with the division agents video on their web page just an FYI
Link Posted: 1/26/2016 11:12:09 AM EDT
[#42]
Quoted:

I can all but guarantee you'll get one to replace it fairly quickly.  Is that the set for preorder of the standard edition or the gold edition?

They're giving away four gear sets to coincide with the division agents video on their web page just an FYI
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:

This is exactly what I think too.  The early game gear is nice out of the box, but you will most likely replace it pretty quick.  But there is always the off chance that you don't get drops for that gear slot.  I believe that the National Guard set is just with the gold edition.

I'm officially pumped for the beta
Link Posted: 1/26/2016 11:28:55 AM EDT
[#43]
I went ahead and pre-ordered the standard edition through PSN.

Apparently beta codes are being sent out and you can pre-load the beta as soon as you get it.
Link Posted: 1/26/2016 11:38:26 AM EDT
[#44]
Quoted:

Apparently beta codes are being sent out and you can pre-load the beta as soon as you get it.
View Quote

How do I preload the Beta on XB1?
Link Posted: 1/26/2016 12:00:22 PM EDT
[#45]
I pre-ordered The Division to give it a shot for the beta. If it's terrible I'll fight for a refund (apparently digital refunds are possible).

The recent footage posted here looks pretty promising but I'll reserve judgement until I get my hands on it.
Link Posted: 1/26/2016 12:19:20 PM EDT
[#46]
Just got my beta pre-load drop announcement.  Downloading now - 26.26 GB for PC.
Link Posted: 1/26/2016 12:23:12 PM EDT
[#47]
Quoted:

View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

load the beta code you got by email in the market section using "redeem a code"
Link Posted: 1/26/2016 12:28:51 PM EDT
[#48]
Quoted:
View Quote

Thanks for the tip! Just got my code for the 4 gear sets.

For those who are unaware, here's the link: http://tomclancy-thedivision.ubi.com/game/en-US/agent-origins/index.aspx Don't redeem the code until the official game launches in March.

Link Posted: 1/26/2016 12:58:07 PM EDT
[#49]
Has anyone that played the alpha tried to preload yet?  I cant preload for some reason, but Im wondering if I even have to if I already had the alpha?
Link Posted: 1/26/2016 1:14:35 PM EDT
[#50]
Quoted:
Just got my beta pre-load drop announcement.  Downloading now - 26.26 GB for PC.
View All Quotes
Quoted:

From the readme:

#############################
1. Installation Instructions
#############################

1.1 Minimum system requirements
Operating system: Windows 7, Windows 8.1, Windows 10 (64-bit versions only)
Processor: Intel Core i5-2400, AMD FX-6100 or equivalent
Video card: NVIDIA GeForce GTX 560 with 2GB VRAM, AMD Radeon HD 7770 with 2GB VRAM or better
System RAM: 6GB
HDD: 40GB free space
Peripherals: Windows-compatible keyboard, mouse, and headset
Multiplayer: Broadband connection with 256 kbps upstream
--------------------------------------

1.2 Recommended system requirements
Operating system: Windows 7, Windows 8.1, Windows 10 (64-bit versions only)
Processor: Intel Core i7-3770, AMD FX-8350 or equivalent
Video card: NVIDIA GeForce GTX 970, AMD Radeon R9 290 or better
System RAM: 8GB
HDD: 40GB free space
Peripherals: Windows-compatible keyboard, mouse, headset
Multiplayer: Broadband connection with 512 kbps upstream

1.3 Supported video cards
* Note: This list represents the supported video cards at time of release

NVIDIA:
GeForce GTX500 series: GeForce GTX560 (2GB VRAM) or better
GeForce GTX600 series: GeForce GTX660 or better
GeForce GTX700 series: GeForce GTX760 or better
GeForce GTX900/Titan series: GeForce GTX960 or better

AMD:
Radeon HD7000 series: Radeon HD7770 (2GB VRAM) or better
Radeon 200 series: Radeon R9 270 or better
Radeon 300/Fury X series: Radeon R9 370 or better

Multiple monitor support: Tom Clancy's The Division supports multiple monitors, and you can configure your setup under the user interface section of the settings menu. For best results, it is recommended you use these options in conjunction with your video card's Surround (Nvidia™) or Eyefinity™(AMD™) support.

Notebook support: Laptop models of these desktop cards may work as long as their performance is on-par with the minimum configuration. For an up-to-date list of supported hardware, please visit the FAQ for this game on our website: http://support.ubi.com
Page / 89
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top